Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » I’d feel a lot more comfortable about the Brexit negotiations

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited March 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » I’d feel a lot more comfortable about the Brexit negotiations if Osborne was playing a key role

The swift way in which Angela Merkel has undermined Theresa May’s Article 50 invocation plan underlines how critical it is that Team GB needs the very best team in the coming two years.

Read the full story here

Comments

• RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    First :smiley:
    edited March 2017
    I thought Davis had received some praise for his handling of his post?

I feel like we are being trolled by OGH :smiley:
  • Not a chance and Merkel has not undermined Theresa May today.

I think you should quote all the transcript from Merkel today as shown on the previous thread
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    Why would we want newspaper editor negotiating our departure from the EU?
    Oooh - Theresa May felt the need to confirm that she voted remain. :D
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    Andrew Neil doing a good job.
  • He's only got 6 jobs, I'm sure he can fit another one in.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    FPT
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Yorkcity said:

Listening to Sky, BBC and ITV throughout the day to my surprise the BBC have been fair and balanced.

Adam Boulton, Faisal Islam of Sky and Robert Peston of ITV both misquoting Merkel and both broadcasters having great difficulty in being balanced

Hope the BBC continue in this vein. Andrew Neil up in 10 minutes of BBC with his interview with TM.

Yes all credit to May been interviewed by Andrew Neil never remember Cameron doing the same.
    She's doing pretty well so far, as you say fair play to her for sitting down with Neil on a day like today.
    It's a bit dull really as a lot of this has been done to death and she's quite good at talking a lot without saying much at all. His interview with George Osborne was a lot more interesting as Osborne couldn't resist fighting back!
    I'd imagine that this interview will reach a much wider audience than usually pay attention to politics, Mrs May isnt saying much that we've not heard before, but a lot of people will be hearing this for the first time today. She's much better than someone like Osborne at dealing with a more combative interview technique.
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    Even if May bit the bullet & offered to hire him, I doubt we could pay him enough.
    And now the main event......
  • Corbyn on now with Andrew Neil BBC1
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    The same man who managed to halve a EU bill by using a rebate that was going to be applied anyway?
  • I'll say it again.

Theresa May = Neville Chamberlain

George Osborne = Sir Winston Churchill

We just have to wait for Mrs May's Norway debate moment.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559
    Now I know youre just trying to wind me up
    edited March 2017
    Corbyn up with Neil now, hope he's better than the shouty ranter from the HoC earlier.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,780
    I thought May handled that pretty well. Not easy to handle Andrew Neill. She can speak forever without giving an answer or anything specific but she set out her position clearly and held the line without any obvious distress.
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    I have always seen Osborne as a poundstore Mandelson. And there's no doubt which knows his way round Brussels better.
  • OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,688
    Osborne was a political pygmy (as you put it) prior to becoming chancellor. He did ok in that job, but it was hardly a compelling performance. May shouldn't seek Osborne's help - she should though be talking to Cameron and Hague - but only as background - she's doing very well as it is.
    Wow, JC almost sounding normal and sensible.
    Oh dear. What's that saying about remaining silent and being thought a fool?
    On topic I agree. This government would be considerably stronger with Osborne and indeed Gove in it. It is not a time for petty personality nonsense. We need our brightest and best on this. Personally I would like Mandelson involved as well (I appreciate this is a minority view).
    Sandpit said:

Until he confused the Single Market with the Customs Union.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    DavidL said:

I thought May handled that pretty well. Not easy to handle Andrew Neill. She can speak forever without giving an answer or anything specific but she set out her position clearly and held the line without any obvious distress.

Back to that Nick Robinson quote about him refusing to do interviews her when she was HS - he came out of the meeting knowing no more than he did when he walked in.
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Until he confused the Single Market with the Customs Union.
    Ha! Maybe I should have held my compliment for a few seconds longer!

Corbyn on now with Andrew Neil BBC1

Not in Scotland. We have some prat called Russell talking about, surprise, surprise, a referendum.
    Has someone let the air out of the right side of Jezza's chair cushion?
  • DavidL said:

Not in Scotland. We have some prat called Russell talking about, surprise, surprise, a referendum.
    Channel 960 on Sky
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

Back to that Nick Robinson quote about him refusing to do interviews her when she was HS - he came out of the meeting knowing no more than he did when he walked in.
    Yes. Its undoubtedly a political skill. But not an endearing one.
    ISTM that Jezza is thinking deep down, maybe not so deep: "Yippee we've finally left that imperialist military-industrial complex! Yesss!"
  • ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    No, you wouldn't.
  • Corbyn cannot answer free movement question

Neil turning the screw on labours lack of control on free movement
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    Corbyn back on form now
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

I'll say it again.

Who will deliver the Leo Amery line?
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    hmm - those "skills" were somewhat lacking on occasion weren't they

DavidL said:

Channel 960 on Sky
    Thanks but enough. I am brexited out.
  • I'll say it again.

Who will deliver the Leo Amery line?
    Michael Gove or Ken Clarke.
  • Corbyn says Scot referendum if it takes place should happen after the Brexit negotiations have been completed
  • BaskervilleBaskerville Posts: 391
    May is always going to be more comfortable with a 'serious' interview like this one than she would be on the This Morning sofa. At this stage, all she had to do was sound reasonable, serious and competent; she did that. The Andrew Neil interview on 28th March 2019 could be a belter.
    Oops... (Yes, I know that Twitter isn't Britain.)

https://twitter.com/whitesweed/status/847136120580263936
  • Tim Farron Nuttall and Greens now up on Neil
  • MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited March 2017
    I think this thread has been posted three days early.
  • OUTOUT Posts: 569

Corbyn says Scot referendum if it takes place should happen after the Brexit negotiations have been completed

He's a prick.
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669
    Ishmael_Z said:

I have always seen Osborne as a poundstore Mandelson. And there's no doubt which knows his way round Brussels better.

So May should enlist the Prince of Darkness for our negotiations?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    We probably wouldn't be leaving if it wasn't for George Osborne's REMAIN campaign.

He and Cameron decided to play Russian Roulette with the electorate. And lost.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,731
    edited March 2017
    An arch Remainer would feel more comfortable with an arch Remainer involved... wow!

Is this the same George Osborne who was enraged by the £1.7bn EU bill in 2014, said he'd never ever EVER pay it... then paid it?

What a negotiator!

• OUT said:

Corbyn says Scot referendum if it takes place should happen after the Brexit negotiations have been completed

He's a prick.
    He is but on this it seems that only the SNP backed by the Greens are in favour of indy2 by 2019 and it simply will not pass the HOC or HOL before the end of Brexit
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,981
    edited March 2017
    Lloyd's of London is reportedly poised to name Brussels as its new base in Europe.

The announcement by the world's largest insurance market will come less than 24 hours after Theresa May triggered Article 50 with the timing first reported by Sky News.

Lloyd's is shifting some operations to the continent in order to protect revenues generated within the European Union as the UK heads for the exit.

http://news.sky.com/story/lloyds-set-to-choose-brussels-as-eu-base-reports-10817862
  • Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

That was rather my point, yes.
  • AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,559

Lloyd's of London is reportedly poised to name Brussels as its new base in Europe.

The announcement by the world's largest insurance market will come less than 24 hours after Theresa May triggered Article 50 with the timing first reported by Sky News.

Lloyd's is shifting some operations to the continent in order to protect revenues generated within the European Union as the UK heads for the exit.

http://news.sky.com/story/lloyds-set-to-choose-brussels-as-eu-base-reports-10817862

chortle

that's yesterdays news. The paddies were wailing they didnt get it. Theyre shifting a few jobs but Lloyds stays in London

Tis but a flesh wound.
  • logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,669
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Pretty astute political antennae.
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Yay, 2 for Mandelson. Any more?

"Lloyd's of London is reportedly poised to name Brussels as its new base in Europe."

You might equally phrase that as

"Lloyd's of London opens outpost in cut off Europe"

• AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

So agrees with Sturgeon then?
  • calumcalum Posts: 3,046

OUT said:

He's a prick.
    He is but on this it seems that only the SNP backed by the Greens are in favour of indy2 by 2019 and it simply will not pass the HOC or HOL before the end of Brexit
    Farron on making a good case for Indyref2 !
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

No, the risk of him succeeding is too great.
  • RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    If anyone wants to REALLY depress themselves switch on CH4. Theyre doing a studio programme with a cross section of the residents of Hull discussing Brexit.

You could divide the audience by IQ and nothing else.

Not age nor class.

Tim Farron says A50 is revocable - is this the case?
    edited March 2017

Lloyds Of London becomes Lloyd's Of... Brussels?

Doesn't have quite the same ring but I guess they know best! :smiley:

Tim Farron Nuttall and Greens now up on Neil

Oh the humiliation. I remember the days when we would have had wall to wall Uncle Vince from the BBC on something like this. Now they get put with the Greens.

DavidL said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

No, the risk of him succeeding is too great.
    Success here is a win win deal for the UK and the EU. And I agree he might well succeed.
    DavidL said:

Oh the humiliation. I remember the days when we would have had wall to wall Uncle Vince from the BBC on something like this. Now they get put with the Greens.
    Not sure what the Greens have done to get promoted to the second tier?
    tlg86 said:

Only if EU council agree unanimously - so Malta cld vote it down !
  • Lloyd's of London is reportedly poised to name Brussels as its new base in Europe.

chortle

that's yesterdays news. The paddies were wailing they didnt get it. Theyre shifting a few jobs but Lloyds stays in London
    They only have 10% of their business in Europe
    edited March 2017

DavidL said:

Not sure what the Greens have done to get promoted to the second tier?
    You think the Lib Dems are still second tier? Labour barely manage that these days.
  • tlg86 said:

We need a court case to find out the following

1) Is it revocable

2) If so, Is it revocable by the UK alone or does it require unanimity as well from EU27?
    Roger said:

If anyone wants to REALLY depress themselves switch on CH4. Theyre doing a studio programme with a cross section of the residents of Hull discussing Brexit.

Not age nor class.

Sneering at Labour's working class voters again Roger? - And then you wonder why Labour is unelectable.
  • Alistair said:

No - consideration will not take place until after Brexit. So no indy2 before 2020 GE

tlg86 said:

1) Is it revocable

2) If so, Is it revocable by the UK alone or does it require unanimity as well from EU27?
    Sounds like it needs the 27 to agree:

http://tinyurl.com/loug3mr

A very odd state of affairs.
    tlg86 said:

Well clearly. Nothing happened today - in theory the nothing that happened can be reversed. When something actually happens as a result of this decision then it becomes harder to revoke.

• dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279
    Has Corbyn just managed to piss off The Scots and The Ulster Unionists at the same time?
  • RestharrowRestharrow Posts: 233
    Roger said:

Not age nor class.

Are they "broken down by age and sex"?
    Roger said:

Not age nor class.

City of culture don't ya know.

Alistair said:

No - consideration will not take place until after Brexit. So no indy2 before 2020 GE
    In reality we will have an Indy2 if the SNP get a majority or pretty damn close to it in 2021. If they don't we won't.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    edited March 2017
    What programme were the Andrew Neil interviews with May and Corbyn on?

Is there a link to them?
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

tlg86 said:

1) Is it revocable

Apparently there is one in progress in Dublin
  • dr_spyn said:

Has Corbyn just managed to piss off The Scots and The Ulster Unionists at the same time?

That should be the SNP not Scotland as a whole on present polling
    MikeL said:

Is there a link to them?

BBC1 - should be on the iPlayer.
    MikeL said:

Is there a link to them?

They were on BBC1, a special. No doubt they will be on iPlayer shortly.
    MikeL said:

Is there a link to them?

IPlayer is your friend

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b08mhh5c/britain-the-eu-the-brexit-interviews-brexit-what-next-the-andrew-neil-interviews

I'm going to catch up in a hour.
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    Many thanks to you all!
    Oh, any sightings of the anticipated Four Horsemen? :)
  • Faisal Islam still being economical with Merkels statement.

Faisal Islam still being economical with Merkels statement.

What has she actually said?
  • DavidL said:

Alistair said:

In reality we will have an Indy2 if the SNP get a majority or pretty damn close to it in 2021. If they don't we won't.
    I think that is where the indy2 debate is heading
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    edited March 2017
    tlg86 said:

He said that Merkel said Nein to trade deal until after agreement on divorce when she said that a broad agreement would need to take place and then to move on, hopefully soon, to the trade discussions. Islam only said she had said Nein to trade discussions
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    edited March 2017
    There will be a lot of cross border transferring as individual businesses adapt.

Alsico - army clothing manufacturer - have shifted work back from Italy to Northern England: http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/news/article-4349030/Brexit-boost-uniforms-return-UK.html

A little more of the food production moves to the UK according to Rabobank: http://www.foodmanufacture.co.uk/Manufacturing/UK-food-manufacturers-could-benefit-from-Brexit?utm_source=RSS_text_news&utm_medium=RSS_feed&utm_campaign=RSS_Text_News

Specific mention of us adopting the New Zealand model - essentially zero tariff rating products for the entire world.

It's going to be a fluid situation with businesses making individual judgements.
    calum said:
    I think everything relating to Brexit will be done under unanimity.
    So earlier in the evening we have Mike telling the Tories that they've gone wrong. We've now had a performance by Farron. It's gone strangely quiet.
  • kjohnwkjohnw Posts: 1,456
    GIN1138 said:

Roger said:

Not age nor class.

Sneering at Labour's working class voters again Roger? - And then you wonder why Labour is unelectable.
    quite, what is it with the champagne socialists sneering at the working classes from their tuscan villas. no wonder labour is screwed .
    RobD said:

calum said:
    QM for some

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-17-648_en.htm
  • MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034

tlg86 said:

He said that Merkel said Nein to trade deal until after agreement on divorce when she said that a broad agreement would need to take place and then to move on, hopefully soon, to the trade discussions. Islam only said she had said Nein to trade discussions
    Which is all by the by. The real thing is that there will be no deal until there is a whole deal. That is how complex negotiations work.

tlg86 said:

1) Is it revocable

Unilateral revocability is irrelevant after May's speech today.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,962
    DavidL said:

On topic I agree. This government would be considerably stronger with Osborne and indeed Gove in it. It is not a time for petty personality nonsense. We need our brightest and best on this. Personally I would like Mandelson involved as well (I appreciate this is a minority view).

Gove blabs. He leaks. He plays games. And that is exactly what is not required for the next two years.

We need silent types with a good poker face.

tlg86 said:

Thanks, not surprised it's being reported in sensationalist terms.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,279

dr_spyn said:

That should be the SNP not Scotland as a whole on present polling
    Sounds as if he has upset the Nats and SLab at the same time. Smart guy, is Jeremy, could go far.
    calum said:

RobD said:

calum said:
    QM for some

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_MEMO-17-648_en.htm
    Even for the final deal! I thought that would have required unanimity as it is relating to membership.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,962

Roger said:

Not age nor class.

Are they "broken down by age and sex"?
    Has SeanT been broken down by too many years and too much sex?
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,265
    By the way, Valls (the losing candidate in the Socialist election) has endorsed Macron. Meanwhile, Melanchon (far left) has inched up again, to 15%. He has a shot at coming 3rd above Fillon (who is in the 17-20 range) but Macron or Le Pen (on 25-26) would need to melt down spectacularly to get him into 2nd.
This discussion has been closed.