Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The signs are that UKIP will get a pasting in the May 4th elec

SystemSystem Posts: 11,018
edited April 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The signs are that UKIP will get a pasting in the May 4th elections

For me this week is all about the May 4th elections. Yesterday the Tory psephologist, Lord Robert Hayward, gave his annual presentation and predictions and there’s a fair bit of coverage in today’s press.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited April 2017
    FPT. Perhaps the reason why the divorce has started on the wrong foot is because of the sentiment which pervades every dot and comma of the header. 'Bloody foreigners trying to rip us off'

This could have been written by Boris Johnson or Quentin Letts. It's disappointing because if someone as even- handed as Richard can't take a more detached view then what chance do we have when the ultras of the Mail the Express and the Sun get the bit between their teeth.

If this is our opening gambit it'll end acrimoniously. Accusing the other side of bad faith without an attempt to see their point of view might cheer the right-wing of the Tory party and re-energise UKIP but there's a wider audience and it's no way to treat a loyal partner of 48 years.

They didn't ask for the divorce. They didn't kick us out. Every time I hear one of their spokespeople they sound measured and reasonable. Usually too reasonable. Treating them with distain and arrogance might be the British way but it doesn't look good and it'll more than likely end up costing us a fortune.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Mike's off to London today ....

Hhhhmm ....

Beware honey traps Mike and ladies offering to look at your bar charts ....
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,636
    Third! Like SLAB....
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    On topic, UKIP are being wound up in an orderly manner, their main purpose having been fulfilled.
  • Options
    Roger said:

. Every time I hear one of their spokespeople they sound measured and reasonable.

Druncker?

Verhosftadt?

I agree Tusk has been reasonable - so has May, unfortunately the frothers on both sides seem to feel the need to indulge in willy waving.....the only remotely sensible UK newspaper at the moment is the Guardian - and that's just in the news section...
  • Options
    FPT while I completely disagree with @RichardNabavi about the rights and wrongs of the opening spats of negotiations, I completely agree with him about the likely political consequences of no deal. Indeed, it might well be what Theresa May means by "no deal is better than a bad deal". The political incentives for her to opt for no deal are strong.
  • Options
    Also FPT, as one of the formerly undecideds that @isam mentions sceptically, it was precisely because I foresaw that the type of Leave that would be obtained would be dominated by loonies and reactionaries pandering to 1950s nostalgics that I opted for Remain. My fears have been abundantly borne out.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,977
    IIRC none of the UKIP County Councillors in Essex are standing agian. We’ll know later today how many of their seats they are actually going to try to defend.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all.

Happy to go along with Lord Hayward’s predictions, he’s proved himself a bit of a political guru in the past having accurately predicted both the GE2015 and Brexit result. That just leaves lost deposits to mull over, I’m predicting an easy victory for UKiP over the Lib Dems…
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,930

FPT while I completely disagree with @RichardNabavi about the rights and wrongs of the opening spats of negotiations, I completely agree with him about the likely political consequences of no deal. Indeed, it might well be what Theresa May means by "no deal is better than a bad deal". The political incentives for her to opt for no deal are strong.

Today's Sun front page makes it absolutely clear what the Tory Hard Brexit brigade's strategy is: wave the Union Jack and hope the plebs don't notice they have been totally shafted. It was ever thus. With Corbyn leading Labour it is a strategy that is likely to work. But at some stage the low wage, low job security, pared to the bones public services society the Tories have always wanted to create but have never had the guts to put in front of the electorate will come back to bite them spectacularly hard; and will almost inevitably lead to the break-up of the country that Tories claim to care about so much.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    FPT. A worthwhile conribution from the rarely heard from Cicero.
    Cicero said:

From the safe distance of a couple of thousand kilometres away, I had assumed that stuff like Simon Heffer's "let's restore the Imperial system of measurement" was an April Fool. Apparently he wasn't the only joker: what with this "singing the King of Spain's beard" nonsense from Michael Howard. Now, midweek it seems like these absurdities are actually being taken seriously. Is the UK having some kind of massive nervous btreakdown? As an ex-Brit, should I now be thinking af renouncing my UK citizenship on the grounds that the lunatics have taken over the asylum and a total meltdown of stupidity is on its way? If rationality has been so abandoned for rage, then the UK is going to be crippled. I don't buy the Dawkins "nasty backwater" guff, but if I believe the press (and to be honest the Brexit bollocks often on display here) then I feel genuinely concerned for the social and political cohesion of the U.K. The talks are tricky enough as it is, and trying to advise one side, when the other seems to have slipped the bonds of reason is not going to be especially productive. You guys have got to be kidding, right? Threats of War? Imperial measures? Blue passports? Yet meanwhile no constructive ideas for how your economy will function outside the single market.

You have less than 18 months to do the deal, you guys have got to be crisp and precise in your negotiations... And at the moment it is like dealing with an acid crazed version of the Honey Monster. You still have not got a full team of negotiators. What is this? Amateur hour at the circus? FFS UK, pull your socks up and get real!

Have the likes of Michael Howard got no ability to see what an embarrassment they are?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,832
    Including Scotland and Wales, I'd expect Labour's losses to be more like 250.
  • Options
    As is aye the case with the Scottish Nationalists, things were going well until facts had to come along and spoil it all. For data from the respected National Centre for Social Research indicates that Scotland’s attitudes to Brexit and Europe aren’t terribly different from those of folk down south.

https://stephendaisley.com/2017/04/03/why-smug-snp-sanctimony-means-its-love-in-with-eu-will-soon-be-over/
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    I can see the Tories making good gains in Co. Durham but they won't win.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    Why does OGH refer to a second referendum in the header? The only other one was back in the seventies, well before UKIP were founded?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Including Scotland and Wales, I'd expect Labour's losses to be more like 250.

It’s not looking good for Labour, Corbyn’s shadow Communities and Local Government Secretary has already announced she’s quitting her post after May’s local elections.
  • Options

I can see the Tories making good gains in Co. Durham but they won't win.

Labour might lose Durham (though easily remain largest party). Their chief opponents are independents.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Cicero said:

From the safe distance of a couple of thousand kilometres away, I had assumed that stuff like Simon Heffer's "let's restore the Imperial system of measurement" was an April Fool. Apparently he wasn't the only joker: what with this "singing the King of Spain's beard" nonsense from Michael Howard. Now, midweek it seems like these absurdities are actually being taken seriously. Is the UK having some kind of massive nervous btreakdown? As an ex-Brit, should I now be thinking af renouncing my UK citizenship on the grounds that the lunatics have taken over the asylum and a total meltdown of stupidity is on its way? If rationality has been so abandoned for rage, then the UK is going to be crippled. I don't buy the Dawkins "nasty backwater" guff, but if I believe the press (and to be honest the Brexit bollocks often on display here) then I feel genuinely concerned for the social and political cohesion of the U.K. The talks are tricky enough as it is, and trying to advise one side, when the other seems to have slipped the bonds of reason is not going to be especially productive. You guys have got to be kidding, right? Threats of War? Imperial measures? Blue passports? Yet meanwhile no constructive ideas for how your economy will function outside the single market.

You have less than 18 months to do the deal, you guys have got to be crisp and precise in your negotiations... And at the moment it is like dealing with an acid crazed version of the Honey Monster. You still have not got a full team of negotiators. What is this? Amateur hour at the circus? FFS UK, pull your socks up and get real!

Have the likes of Michael Howard got no ability to see what an embarrassment they are?

The Right in this country treat its citizens with total contempt. They believe that they can get away with anything if they wave the Union Jack. The swivel-eyed Hard Brexit brigade are clearly seeking to build a narrative that will allow the Tories to walk away from the Brexit talks, blame duplicitous foreigners, invoke the spirit of Churchill and dump all over the working people of Britain.

• Options
    Another hardcore loony Tory Brexiteer (aren't they all?)

These are early days, but, contrary to the press reports, Donald Tusk’s draft EU27 negotiating mandate, circulated (and leaked) in response to the Prime Minister’s Article 50 letter, actually gives us reasons to be optimistic that a mutually beneficial deal can and will be found.

http://www.conservativehome.com/thecolumnists/2017/04/christopher-howarths-guide-to-brexit-beneath-the-rhetoric-the-eu27-are-being-surprisingly-constructive.html
  • Options

Roger said:

Cicero said:

The Right in this country treat its citizens with total contempt. They believe that they can get away with anything if they wave the Union Jack. The swivel-eyed Hard Brexit brigade are clearly seeking to build a narrative that will allow the Tories to walk away from the Brexit talks, blame duplicitous foreigners, invoke the spirit of Churchill and dump all over the working people of Britain.

Yet the working people of Britain are increasingly pro-Conservative.
  • Options
    If ever there was tangible evidence that we were on our way to hell in a handcart it's the once mighty BBC leading the news with David Moyes's clumsy chat up line
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,247
    These numbers are surely wildly out. In Scotland Labour won 394 seats on 31.39% of the vote in 2012. There is, on current polling, a very strong probability that they will get less than 20% of the vote this time, possibly much less.

There are 1223 Councillors in Scotland. 20% of the vote, on a system that is largely proportional, gives them 244, a loss of 150. In Scotland alone. It is possible that Labour's vote will remain more efficient but this is at the margins. Last time 31.39% of first preferences got them 32.2% of the seats. The reverse is actually more likely in that the electoral system punishes smaller parties. Last time the Tories got 9.4% of the seats on 13.27% of the vote.

Mike speculates that Labour might lose Glasgow. I would say that is absolutely nailed on. In fact I do not expect them to retain outright control of a single Scottish Council and they will lose control of others such as Fife where they are currently the biggest single party.

So unless Lord Heyward is anticipating some net gains for Labour in England (and I do think they will pick up some UKIP seats) his numbers are, well, optimistic from a Labour perspective.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Cicero said:

Conservative lead among C2DE
    Voting Intention: +11%
    Best Prime Minister: +34%
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Cicero said:

Yes - that's the joy of having a totally shite opposition. But flag waving as the Labour party watches on will only get the Tories so far. British voters do not want a low tax, low wage, low regulation, minimal public services society, which is why the Tories have never had the guts to argue for one.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    She wants to spend more time on her constituency. Her constituency is Erith & Thamesmead, Labour majority 22.4%. Think on that.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

These numbers are surely wildly out. In Scotland Labour won 394 seats on 31.39% of the vote in 2012. There is, on current polling, a very strong probability that they will get less than 20% of the vote this time, possibly much less.

There are 1223 Councillors in Scotland. 20% of the vote, on a system that is largely proportional, gives them 244, a loss of 150. In Scotland alone. It is possible that Labour's vote will remain more efficient but this is at the margins. Last time 31.39% of first preferences got them 32.2% of the seats. The reverse is actually more likely in that the electoral system punishes smaller parties. Last time the Tories got 9.4% of the seats on 13.27% of the vote.

Mike speculates that Labour might lose Glasgow. I would say that is absolutely nailed on. In fact I do not expect them to retain outright control of a single Scottish Council and they will lose control of others such as Fife where they are currently the biggest single party.

So unless Lord Heyward is anticipating some net gains for Labour in England (and I do think they will pick up some UKIP seats) his numbers are, well, optimistic from a Labour perspective.

Looking at the sorts of projections that Mark Senior is making, which seem plausible, Labour would face big losses in Durham , Lancashire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Warwickshire, Staffordshire. Winning back some seats from UKIP won't come close to outweighing that.
  • Options

These are early days, but, contrary to the press reports, Donald Tusk’s draft EU27 negotiating mandate, circulated (and leaked) in response to the Prime Minister’s Article 50 letter, actually gives us reasons to be optimistic that a mutually beneficial deal can and will be found.

http://www.conservativehome.com/thecolumnists/2017/04/christopher-howarths-guide-to-brexit-beneath-the-rhetoric-the-eu27-are-being-surprisingly-constructive.html

No, they are not - which is why there is still hope that the swivel-eyed loons will not win. Some Brexiteers clearly understand that doing deep and lasting harm to working people in the UK and putting the Union at serious risk, while at the same time trashing our hard won soft power abroad, is not in our best interests.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Looking at the sorts of projections that Mark Senior is making, which seem plausible, Labour would face big losses in Durham , Lancashire, Derbyshire, Nottinghamshire, Warwickshire, Staffordshire. Winning back some seats from UKIP won't come close to outweighing that.
    I agree and Wales isn't good either. Their main advantage in England this time around is that they don't have a huge number of seats to lose but that is not the case in Scotland or Wales.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Cicero said:

Yes - that's the joy of having a totally shite opposition. But flag waving as the Labour party watches on will only get the Tories so far. British voters do not want a low tax, low wage, low regulation, minimal public services society, which is why the Tories have never had the guts to argue for one.
    This is not a particularly right wing government.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Cicero said:

The Right the spirit of Churchill and dump all over the working people of Britain.

Not yet. But Brexit is the right's big opportunity.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Table from HuffPo:

http://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/scalefit_630_noupscale/58e289141400005b65073081.jpeg

So in 2012, Con on 13% of vote got 111 councillors, and Lab in 2017 are on ±14% - but are defending 383 seats...of course there won't be a direct read-across - but if there were they'd be down about 250.....

Full article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jeremy-corbyns-labour-on-course-to-lose-125-council-seats-as-snp-tories-and-lib-dems-make-gains-hayward-forecast_uk_58e27e30e4b03a26a364d645
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Roger said:

Cicero said:

It's the Colonel Blimpshness that's so embarrassing. By the end of these negotiations our reputation in the wider world is going to be trashed. Like the 80's when football fans backed by the Red Tops went through their chauvinistic phase and we became international pariahs. I sense a second coming.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Cicero said:

British voters do not want a low tax, low wage, low regulation, minimal public services society, which is why the Tories have never had the guts to argue for one.
    And indeed some of them oppose it - see May & Davis, repeatedly, on workers rights....

• Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942
    Roger said:

Cicero said:

Self awareness is, as is frequently demonstrated, the rarest of commodities...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Cicero said:

Seems to be moving that way, though.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Cicero said:

Yet they feel emboldened now, we're 75% of the way there already.
  • Options
    Spanish speakers can read here how sensible newspapers are reporting the Gibraltar issue:

Bruselas y Holanda piden a Reino Unido que rebaje el tono sobre Gibraltar
    http://elpais.com/internacional/2017/04/03/actualidad/1491217660_217049.html

Don't know if it has been mentioned in the UK, but David Davis apparently had a friendly and constructive dinner in Madrid on Sunday with the Spanish foreign minister.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Cicero said:

The Right the spirit of Churchill and dump all over the working people of Britain.

Pity they didn't get their candidate for PM then......
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Cicero said:

It's the Colonel Blimpshness that's so embarrassing. By the end of these negotiations our reputation in the wider world is going to be trashed. Like the 80's when football fans backed by the Red Tops went through their chauvinistic phase and we became international pariahs. I sense a second coming.
    Laughable.

The 5th largest economy and strongest legal system in the world. I think we'll cope.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Table from HuffPo:

http://img.huffingtonpost.com/asset/scalefit_630_noupscale/58e289141400005b65073081.jpeg

So in 2012, Con on 13% of vote got 111 councillors, and Lab in 2017 are on ±14% - but are defending 383 seats...of course there won't be a direct read-across - but if there were they'd be down about 250.....

Full article:

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/jeremy-corbyns-labour-on-course-to-lose-125-council-seats-as-snp-tories-and-lib-dems-make-gains-hayward-forecast_uk_58e27e30e4b03a26a364d645
    Those tables are not accurate. Last time out the SNP got 32.33% of the first preferences, not 48%. They won't get 47% this time either but they will make substantial gains at Labour's expense.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_government_in_Scotland#Election_results.2C_2012
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Cicero said:

Laughable.

The 5th largest economy and strongest legal system in the world. I think we'll cope.
    I can hear Pomp and Circumstance wafting in the background....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

May is increasingly striking me as more Heathite/Corporatist in words - if not yet in deeds - silly old codger Heseltine might have been up for some 'guiding hand of government' down the road if he hadn't burnt his bridges.....
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Cicero said:

Laughable.

If our legal system is the strongest ......
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Cicero said:

You get real!

The Right Britain.

Our soft power has been an immense asset to us:

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21657655-oxbridge-one-direction-and-premier-league-bolster-britains-power-persuade-softly-does-it

We throw it away at our peril. Once it is gone, it will be incredibly hard to get back. I was in China last week and the level of amused bemusement I encountered around Brexit is something I have been getting used to. Press headlines about making Europe less safe in order to get a better trade deal and going to war with Spain are going to turn that amusement into something a lot more sinister.

• Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Cicero said:

Yes - that's the guts to argue for one.

They are on manoeuvres, as can clearly be seen from the Gibraltar coverage in the Sun and Telegraph. May will have to do something she has never done before and stand up to the right wing Tory press. Let's see if she does.

• Options

Spanish speakers can read here how sensible newspapers are reporting the Gibraltar issue:

Don't know if it has been mentioned in the UK, but David Davis apparently had a friendly and constructive dinner in Madrid on Sunday with the Spanish foreign minister.

One of the most interesting developments in European politics in the last two years is how successful parties have realised that patriotism is good. In France, Holland and here the patriotic right/centre are making gains/limiting losses.

One of the most baffling responses is how opponents, largely a lefty metropolitan liberal elite, have responded against, it despite it being more rhetorical than real, more for domestic consumption than international afairs, and that is is demonstratively popular.

The left are ashamed of nation states. And it is hurting them massively. They would rather signal internationalist virtue than identity with those who have traditionally voted for them.

Somewheres will trump nowheres every time. Why can the left not see this?
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Cicero said:

Laughable.

Strong legal systems are not ones in which judges are described as enemies of the people while those in government stand by.

• Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Table from HuffPo:

Full article:

Those tables are not accurate. Last time out the SNP got 32.33% of the first preferences, not 48%. They won't get 47% this time either but they will make substantial gains at Labour's expense.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_government_in_Scotland#Election_results.2C_2012
    Thanks - if Labour are looking at a vote share similar to the Tories last time would that read across into broadly similar number of seats as the Tories last time?

One interesting theory I saw on one of the Letters Pages was that after the IndyRef was lost, and Independence was 'off the table for a generation' Labour voters could switch to SNP without fear of going through IndyRef again - now IndyRef2 is on the horizon, to what extent might that unwind?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

As is aye the case with the Scottish Nationalists, things were going well until facts had to come along and spoil it all. For data from the respected National Centre for Social Research indicates that Scotland’s attitudes to Brexit and Europe aren’t terribly different from those of folk down south.

https://stephendaisley.com/2017/04/03/why-smug-snp-sanctimony-means-its-love-in-with-eu-will-soon-be-over/

Yup Scotland's just like the rest of the UK which is why it has so many Tory MPs and voted to leave the EU.

Oh, wait.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107

On topic, UKIP are being wound up in an orderly manner, their main purpose having been fulfilled.

Correct, its no surprise or big deal.

I have a suspicion the headline writer would have preferred:

The HOPES are that UKIP....

Their raison d'etre was achieved, the loss of a few council seats will upset nobody.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Yup Scotland's just like the rest of the UK which is why it has so many Tory MPs and voted to leave the EU.

Oh, wait.
    Boring
  • Options

Roger said:

Roger said:

Cicero said:

You get real!

The Right Britain.

http://www.economist.com/news/britain/21657655-oxbridge-one-direction-and-premier-league-bolster-britains-power-persuade-softly-does-it

We throw it away at our peril. Once it is gone, it will be incredibly hard to get back. I was in China last week and the level of amused bemusement I encountered around Brexit is something I have been getting used to. Press headlines about making Europe less safe in order to get a better trade deal and going to war with Spain are going to turn that amusement into something a lot more sinister.

Is this honestly a surprise? China does not have a political culture that would ever understand political opposition changing state policy or the primacy of sovereignty, surely?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,270
    DavidL said:

Yes, just viewed from the perspective of first preference share, STV does tend to have a small bias in favour of the larger party, partly because there is an effective quota in every locality below which you don't get represented at all (I.e. of about 17% in a five-member seat), and the lower your party is polling across the whole electorate, the lower the chance you will beat the quota in every single location. And partly, as a generalisation, the less popular your party the less likely you'll pick up disproportionately more second preferences from other party supporters.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

One of the most interesting developments in European politics in the last two years is how successful parties have realised that patriotism is good. In France, Holland and here the patriotic right/centre are making gains/limiting losses.

One of the most baffling responses is how opponents, largely a lefty metropolitan liberal elite, have responded against, it despite it being more rhetorical than real, more for domestic consumption than international afairs, and that is is demonstratively popular.

The left are ashamed of nation states. And it is hurting them massively. They would rather signal internationalist virtue than identity with those who have traditionally voted for them.

I am afraid that patriotism does not equate to waving the flag while seeking to dump all over millions of people who live under it and whispering threats at foreigners. I am not ashamed of patriotism, but I am utterly ashamed of your version of it In fact, it revolts me. It makes the country that I was born in and hold very dear look utterly disreputable, while weakening its interests and even putting its continued existence at risk.

• Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,906

Ha Ha Ha , mor drivel from the whining Tory loser Daisley. You need to get out a bit more and learn some realities of Scotland, not guff from CCHQ and some losers who have had to join you in exile as they could not hack it at home.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Ha Ha Ha , mor drivel from the whining Tory loser Daisley. You need to get out a bit more and learn some realities of Scotland, not guff from CCHQ and some losers who have had to join you in exile as they could not hack it at home.
    He's quoting Professor John Curtice, Strathclyde, and as you demonstrate....

As is aye the case with the Scottish Nationalists, things were going well until facts had to come along and spoil it all.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Cicero said:

The greedy me me sheeple will always gravitate to eth nasty party.
  • Options
    Thinking that everybody who voted Labour agreed with them was the exact mistake London/Twitter Labour elites made and now they are paying for it. The SNP seem to be making the same mistake.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Table from HuffPo:

Full article:

Thanks - if Labour are looking at a vote share similar to the Tories last time would that read across into broadly similar number of seats as the Tories last time?

One interesting theory I saw on one of the Letters Pages was that after the IndyRef was lost, and Independence was 'off the table for a generation' Labour voters could switch to SNP without fear of going through IndyRef again - now IndyRef2 is on the horizon, to what extent might that unwind?
    I think they will do a bit better than 14%. Probably high teens partly for the reason you indicate. A lot of people is Scotland are very underwhelmed by the idea of going through an Indyref again so soon, even some in favour. I've yet to meet anyone who really believes this is all about our position in the EU.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Table from HuffPo:

Full article:

Labour are however handicapped in that the 'normal' approach at this stage of trying to downplay expectations would frankly make them utterly ridiculous. So they can't even think of trying to persuade journalists that they might do worse than these projections. Yet probably will.

Is there any betting on the seat gain/loss estimates for the locals? Or Scotland alone?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Oh, wait.

Oh look - a Nat engaging with the facts

Oh, wait.

despite the way Scotland voted in the EU referendum, attitudes north of the border towards the shape of Brexit are not so different after all.

http://blog.whatscotlandthinks.org/2017/03/what-do-voters-in-scotland-want-from-brexit/
  • Options

Mortimer said:

I am afraid that patriotism does not equate to waving the flag while seeking to dump all over millions of people who live under it and whispering threats at foreigners. I am not ashamed of patriotism, but I am utterly ashamed of your version of it In fact, it revolts me. It makes the country that I was born in and hold very dear look utterly disreputable, while weakening its interests and even putting its continued existence at risk.

Full Eeyore mode this morning I see.

I try to make widen a political debate with observation on failed policies of internationalism - which fails those people that I care about, and that I truly believe you do too, because of huge competition at the lower end of the wage scale - and you just shake your head and say that you don't like it because you think it makes us look nasty.

And you wonder why the left is losing...
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    edited April 2017

Which supports my argument that EU negotiators' aim is to get us to agree their agenda. Which is their job. They are using carrots as well as sticks.

Edit: Although I disagree with the author about the EU being prepared to discount the exit payment away. They are serious about that. Their reason for having it at the start is to make sure it happens. His other points are right, in my view
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Cicero said:

You get real!

The Right Britain.

It's the coming.

We sinister.

Is this honestly a surprise? China does not have a political culture that would ever understand political opposition changing state policy or the primacy of sovereignty, surely?

Since last June I have visited China, Korea, Japan, Singapore, India, Spain, France, Germany, the US and Canada. The response has been pretty much the same everywhere: an absolute acceptance of Brexit and amusement that we are doing it. That's fine; the British are seen as being slightly different and that can actually be a help. But backward-looking belligerence is something else all together. That has negative consequences. Headlines in widely read newspapers which run without correction from the British government will do significant damage.

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,980
    Good morning, everyone.

I agree with the basis of the thread header. The only potential positive aspect I can see for UKIP is that by being neither in government nor in a party nominally led by Corbyn they could benefit from being None of the Above.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Cicero said:

Depends how much money you have whether you think that.

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Cicero said:

British voters do not want a low tax, low wage, low regulation, minimal public services society, which is why the Tories have never had the guts to argue for one.
    And indeed some of them oppose it - see May & Davis, repeatedly, on workers rights....

Ha Ha Ha, no matter how big a pal she is your pathetic attempt to make May anything other than an extreme right winger is guff, a blind man could see through it.
    PS : May's pickpocketing of widow's bereavement payments is a prime example of their direction. Poor houses will soon be on the agenda with this mob, will be work for nothing to start with.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

I try to make widen a political debate with observation on failed policies of internationalism - which fails those people that I care about, and that I truly believe you do too, because of huge competition at the lower end of the wage scale - and you just shake your head and say that you don't like it because you think it makes us look nasty.

Nope, I know why the left is losing. But I am afraid that taking another pop at the lefty metropolitan elite is not widening the debate, it is seeking to paint people who you do not agree with as unpatriotic.

• Options
    FF43 said:

Which supports my argument that EU negotiators' aim is to get us to agree their agenda. Which is their job. They are using carrots as well as sticks.
    As are we - and it would appear to be effective from the shrieks when we merely mention what one of the sticks might be......
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

"...is good" is a stark and unrealistic value judgement, Yes, patriotism has its good side, and was pretty important in the days when older men needed to persuade younger men to offer up their lives in the national interest. But it would be blinkered not to see the potential downside of patriotism, as the last resort of the scoundrel.

Brexit never would have got near a majority if people had thought it would mean a smaller economy, esta-visas to travel abroad, more expensive flights and travel insurance, potentially even the break-up of the UK, just to get a blue passport, a pint, and being able to buy food weighed in ounces.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Nope, I know why the left is losing. But I am afraid that taking another pop at the lefty metropolitan elite is not widening the debate, it is seeking to paint people who you do not agree with as unpatriotic.

Ha. This is not something I need to be posting about. It is widely understood that the metropolitan left is not patriotic by the only group that matters: the voting public.

Seriously, you think I need to even try to win that argument? It was lost by the left in Blair's 2nd and 3rd terms.
  • Options

Alistair said:

Oh, wait.
    Boring
    Truth too much for you loser.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Mortimer said:

"...is good" is a stark and unrealistic value judgement, Yes, patriotism has its good side, and was pretty important in the days when older men needed to persuade younger men to offer up their lives in the national interest. But it would be blinkered not to see the potential downside of patriotism, as the last resort of the scoundrel.

Brexit never would have got near a majority if people had thought it would mean a smaller economy, esta-visas to travel abroad, more expensive flights and travel insurance, potentially even the break-up of the UK, just to get a blue passport, a pint, and being able to buy food weighed in ounces.
    You call me out for value judgements then dismiss those who care tremendously about political sovereignty as nostalgic tokenisation?

And you wonder why the Lib Dems are on 10%....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    edited April 2017
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Ha. This is not something I need to be posting about. It is widely understood that the metropolitan left is not patriotic by the only group that matters: the voting public.

Seriously, you think I need to even try to win that argument? It was lost in Blair's 2nd and 3rd terms.
    If you want to broaden the debate, you'd be better off asking why people like Ken Clarke are seen as unpatriotic by the self-righteous right than worrying about what the left thinks.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

As is aye the case with the Scottish Nationalists, things were going well until facts had to come along and spoil it all.
    As Alastair shows , one single non - entity MP and some list losers at Holyrood , plus 62% vote to stay in EU says you and who ever else is spouting that rubbish is not too bright or more likely just Tories. Your love affair with Curtice is touching.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Cicero said:

From the safe distance of a couple of thousand kilometres away, I had assumed that stuff like Simon Heffer's "let's restore the Imperial system of measurement" was an April Fool. Apparently he wasn't the only joker: what with this "singing the King of Spain's beard" nonsense from Michael Howard. Now, midweek it seems like these absurdities are actually being taken seriously. Is the UK having some kind of massive nervous btreakdown? As an ex-Brit, should I now be thinking af renouncing my UK citizenship on the grounds that the lunatics have taken over the asylum and a total meltdown of stupidity is on its way? If rationality has been so abandoned for rage, then the UK is going to be crippled. I don't buy the Dawkins "nasty backwater" guff, but nction outside the single market.

Seems to be moving that way, though.
    Certainly not in economic terms.

I think that on issues relating to national identity, it's to the Right of the political consensus from 1990-2015.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

They did better than expected last year, albeit still badly.
  • Options
    Spot the difference:
    Scottish First Minister in the US signing climate change pacts.
    British Prime Minister in Saudi Arabia selling weapons.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Seriously, you think I need to even try to win that argument? It was lost in Blair's 2nd and 3rd terms.
    If you want to broaden the debate, you'd be better off asking why people like Ken Clarke are seen as unpatriotic by the self-righteous right than worrying about what the left thinks.
    Really? You think what one elderly Tory MP thinks is a more important truth than the worldview of large swathes of the urban metropolitan left?

• Options
    Mortimer said:

IanB2 said:

Mortimer said:

You call me out for value judgements then dismiss those who care tremendously about political sovereignty as nostalgic tokenisation?

And you wonder why the Lib Dems are on 10%....
    I don't remember dismissing anyone. Like Mr Farron I too am patriotic; there is lots about our country and its history about which to be immensely proud, that doesn't involve either misplaced militarism or futile symbolism.

In the 21st century world, influence matters a lot more than sovereignty (just as, in the modern workplace, effective collaboration now matters as much as individual effectiveness). IMO the young have cottoned onto this a lot faster than us oldies, which explains a lot.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Spot the difference:

Is the answer one appears to be generating wealth for the UK, the other is impeding it? :lol:
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Mortimer said:

If however, the choice is Brexit, plus income per head being 20% higher in 2030 than today, vs no Brexit plus income per head being 25% higher, Brexit wins because people choose politics over economics.
  • Options
    Dad's Army gearing up......................https://twitter.com/hampson_d/status/849032239535067137/photo/1
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,942
    malcolmg said:

Spot the difference:

Only one of them is good for the economy?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,290
    If Davis hadn't had one go at it already he might be being spoken of as next Cons leader.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    kle4 said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

They did better than expected last year, albeit still badly.
    There are likely to be some long-time Labour voters who discharge their discontent by what they say to pollsters, and maybe in a by-election if it comes along, but who will return to the party when it comes to the election itself. Similarly there will be such who vote elsewhere in the locals but not in a GE. Therefore I would see this year's locals as possibly marking the potential floor in Labour GE support.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Dad's Army gearing up......................https://twitter.com/hampson_d/status/849032239535067137/photo/1

It’s April 4th, not 1st!
  • Options

malcolmg said:

Spot the difference:

Is the answer one appears to be generating wealth for the UK, the other is impeding it? :lol:
    You are happy making money by murdering Yemeni babies then, very nice. Just your average greedy Tory.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,056
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Really? You think what one elderly Tory MP thinks is a more important truth than the worldview of large swathes of the urban metropolitan left?

'People like...' He is not the only pro-European on the right, but he's the most distinguished who's still in the House of Commons.

In fact being pro-Europe was the mainstream Conservative position for decades. This has now been overturned by a sustained campaign from radicals with a blinkered view of sovereignty that is focussed elusively on the position of the Westminster parliament.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Idiots were always a thing.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

malcolmg said:

Spot the difference:

Another one that thinks murdering babies for profit is good business, how could you beat a Tory.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

As Alastair shows , one single non - entity MP and some list losers at Holyrood , plus 62% vote to stay in EU says you and who ever else is spouting that rubbish is not too bright or more likely just Tories. Your love affair with Curtice is touching.
    So, to be clear, you are saying Professor John Curtice of Strathclyde University is a 'not too bright Tory'?

• Options
    From that Bible of Leaverstan, the FT:

Central banks are dumping euros amid concerns over political instability, weak growth and the European Central Bank’s negative interest rate policy — and favour sterling as a long-term, stable alternative.

Despite uncertainty over Brexit — formally triggered last week by prime minister Theresa May — central bankers from around the world see the UK as a safer prospect for their reserve investments than the eurozone, a new poll reveals.

https://www.ft.com/content/692768f4-17a3-11e7-a53d-df09f373be87

• Options
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

Mortimer said:

If however, the choice is Brexit, plus income per head being 20% higher in 2030 than today, vs no Brexit plus income per head being 25% higher, Brexit wins because people choose politics over economics.
    As indeed they did.

However those comparisons are trite, since like Brexit they ignore the rest of the world. Of course no-one would mind being 20% better off if their neighbours and colleagues are also 20% better off. But achieving a smaller improvement in living standards, compounded year after year, than your neighbours is another thing entirely. What prompted our EC membership application in the first place was the feeling that the late60s/e70s UK was being left behind by the economic strides being made on the continent at the time. If that position slowly reoccurs the colour of the passport will be academic, as far fewer people will be able to afford to use one.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

If Davis hadn't had one go at it already he might be being spoken of as next Cons leader.

Not a fan myself, although it's a shame we pretty much rule out previous candidates and leaders from such talk.

Why, ed m could be labour leader.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

I risk.

I nasty.

Seriously, you think I need to even try to win that argument? It was lost by the left in Blair's 2nd and 3rd terms.

There is no argument. Being perceived as unpatriotic is not the same as being unpatriotic. I am a patriot. But I see this country and what is in its interests in a very different way to you. The difference between us is that I dislike your patriotism; you think I do not possess any.

• Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Roger said:

Cicero said:

Yes - that's the guts to argue for one.

They are on manoeuvres, as can clearly be seen from the Gibraltar coverage in the Sun and Telegraph. May will have to do something she has never done before and stand up to the right wing Tory press. Let's see if she does.

I suspect they were told to tone it down for the SC's decision on the Miller case.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

kyf_100 said:

malcolmg said:

Spot the difference:

Another one that thinks murdering babies for profit is good business, how could you beat a Tory.
    Well it is good business, it's just not a moral business.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

So, to be clear, you are saying Professor John Curtice of Strathclyde University is a 'not too bright Tory'?

I am saying what you were trying to say was rubbish. I know you are besotted by Curtice and he can do no wrong , not all of us believe all eth guff these peopel come out with. I prefer to look at what actually happens , ie Tory free zone, SNP have twice votes of any other party , 1 Tory MP. Those are facts , not some guff asking a few Tories what they imagine could happen if it was a blue moon on a wednesday in June.
This discussion has been closed.