Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Will the last person to quit UKIP please remember to turn out

SystemSystem Posts: 11,005
edited April 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Will the last person to quit UKIP please remember to turn out the lights

Job done: Why I am joining the Conservative Group in the Welsh Assembly pic.twitter.com/7TFh9JD6zE

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    edited April 2017
    First!
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    Oh well.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    TSE won't be happy.......
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    pigdog
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,936
    To be fair to UKIP they were polling high before Carswell and Reckless joined them and the more May continues free movement in the transition period the better UKIP will do
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691
    So not a good move from your point of view?
  • Options
    My Tory membership is up for renewal next month...
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    What a silly system where you can get elected through the list system and then decide to become an independent, even though no one voted for you. It just encourages parties to fill their list with party loyalists over talented individuals.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,792
    Traitorous pig dog causing TSE to have a Twitter meltdown...
  • Options
    I'm sorely tempted to quote some Catullus 16 right now.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    "Quite how this move will be welcomed by the blue team is hard to say."

Perhaps some Tory members here could enlighten us ?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    HYUFD said:

To be fair to UKIP they were polling high before Carswell and Reckless joined them and the more May continues free movement in the transition period the better UKIP will do

So you are sticking with UKIP I gather. Ever the loyalist.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    Since the EUSSR banned all stout, British incandescent bulbs, there have been no lights to turn out at UKIP.
    Which probably explains a lot.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

During the general election campaign I travelled down to Rochester and Strood to campaign for Kelly Tolhurst.

When he lost it was a better feeling than coitus for me.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Should be Sue Boucher's seat now !
  • Options
    FPT
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

isam said:

The problem as I see it is KL makes it sound as though it was a neutral common sense agreement w Hitler rather than ethnic cleansing

What? That is back to front: it was a neutral common sense agreement, and Livingstone is trying to make it sound like [Jews cooperating in] ethnic cleansing. None of this is historically controversial; "final solution" means the solution eventually settled on after previous solutions (expulsion to Israel/Madagascar/the rest of the world) had not worked. Livingstone's offence is not in the main misrepresenting the truth*, but stating it in a way designed to generate misinterpretations.

* that is, about the existence of the Agreement. His subsidiary claims about Hitler approving the flying of the Zionist flag in Germany are bonkers.
    It is not a neutral common sense agreement.

If tonight the British government rounded up all your property in the middle of the night and then said 'get out the country never to return and we will return your property to you' would your agreeing to that mean the agreement was neutral and common sense?
    Yes, if I knew that the other solutions to my continuing presence in the country the British government had in mind were those that Hitler was known to have in mind at the time of the agreement. If your point is that Hitler wasn't very nice, it is a valid one. What Livingstone is (I think) trying to derive from the history is that Hitler was secretly pro-Jew and vice versa. My point is that the existence of the agreement is evidence of nothing more than rational self-interest on both sides, given ultimate objectives of freeing Germany of Jews on the one hand, and remaining alive on the other.
    I don't consider any agreement to be made under duress to be neutral. If I point a gun at you and say your money or your life, then you choosing your life may be self-preservation but it isn't a neutral agreement.
  • Options

FF43 said:

During the general election campaign I travelled down to Rochester and Strood to campaign for Kelly Tolhurst.

If it felt better, are you sure that you're doing it right?
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    Or is it just English for culus futuens cunnus fossaque sum?
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608

Look on the bright side. He's not actually re-joining the party, he's just going to be sitting with us.

You know, like a friend.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570

My Tory membership is up for renewal next month...

I'm sure you'll want to be part of Theresa May's Conservatives......
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Did he seriously type this statement on a page of A4, print it, and take a photo? A photo/scan of an actual letter he sent to someone would be one thing, or a screenshot of the statement text, but this is just too much.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,570
    FPT

George Eaton:

Unlike Cameron, who was never regarded by MPs as "one of them", May has forged warm relations through policies such as grammar schools and a more traditional line on climate change and international aid. Crucially, the country also likes the PM. Under May, the Tories have enjoyed their best poll ratings since returning to government. While Labour MPs grow more rebellious in times of political success, their Conservative counterparts tend to respect it. Cameron's worst period coincided with the 2012 "omnishambles" Budget, forcing him to concede a referendum the following January. Under the former PM, some Tory MPs viewed defeat to Labour as inevitable, they are now urged by ministers not to jeopardise what most regard as inevitable victory at the next election.

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/04/theresa-may-softens-her-brexit-why-are-tory-mps-so-calm
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    "Quite how this move will be welcomed by the blue team is hard to say."

I think you might ask TSE as I am sure he can clarify matters :)
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,621

Wasn't it pointed out that as a list member he has no right to change parties and remain an AM?

There's no rule against it as far as I know, even though it perhaps should be a rule.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited April 2017
    That UKIP would splinter post-referendum was clearly predictable. This particular splinter is, it seems, not actually re-joining the Conservative Party, but (as the Americans say) caucusing with the Welsh Tory AMs. So @TSE can breathe a sigh of relief.
  • Options

FF43 said:

I'll ask his wife tonight.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,958
    Essexit said:

Did he seriously type this statement on a page of A4, print it, and take a photo? A photo/scan of an actual letter he sent to someone would be one thing, or a screenshot of the statement text, but this is just too much.

I was just thinking that.
  • Options
    MTimTMTimT Posts: 7,034
    Sad to see this story:

http://www.bbc.com/news/education-39504338

I don't know the merits of the particular case, but I do strongly dislike the nanny state that thinks it is in all cases (as indicated by legislating on the matter) a better judge than the parents on what is best for the kid. In my view, it is the exception, rather than the rule, both that parents make bad decisions for their kids, and that government is even in a position to have the facts to decide what is truly in the kid's interests.

Personally, I think all kids should travel more and all kids should spend more time with their parents. Admittedly, not all travel is equal in terms of its positive impact on a kid's education, inquisitiveness and openness to other cultures and ways of doing things, but even a beach holiday in Ibiza can open eyes and widen horizons.
  • Options
    Animal_pb said:

Look on the bright side. He's not actually re-joining the party, he's just going to be sitting with us.

You know, like a friend.
    Keep your friends close and your enemies closer...
  • Options
    In my area ukip have gone from fighting 54 seats to 8 in 4 years. Currently, many of the foot soldiers aren't feeling the need to keep fighting.
  • Options
    I think TSE should actually just tell us what he really thinks of Reckless. None of this beating around the bush.
  • Options

FF43 said:

I'm sure I'm doing it right, I can bring women to hidden realms of ecstasy with my panther like prowess.

My original comment says more about my hatred of Mark Reckless, which I think I've hidden quite well from PBers.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

In my area ukip have gone from fighting 54 seats to 8 in 4 years. Currently, many of the foot soldiers aren't feeling the need to keep fighting.

Has the split on the right ended? One can hope....
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    Don't hold back, tell us what you really think...
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703

Since the EUSSR banned all stout, British incandescent bulbs, there have been no lights to turn out at UKIP.
    Which probably explains a lot.

I know it's an a flippant comment, but as a fact obsessive I need to point out that the heaters formerly known as 100W and 75W bulbs are being banned all over the world. If the UK hadn't been a member of the EU I would have hoped that they would have been 'banned' earlier.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-out_of_incandescent_light_bulbs
    Brazil and Venezuela started the controversial phase-out in 2005,[citation needed] and the European Union, Switzerland, and Australia started to phase them out in 2009. Likewise, other nations are implementing new energy standards or have scheduled phase-outs: Argentina, and Russia in 2012, and the United States, Canada, Mexico, Malaysia and South Korea in 2014.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    edited April 2017
    @TheScreamingEagles Why do you dislike Mark Reckless so much?
  • Options
    Artist said:

What a silly system where you can get elected through the list system and then decide to become an independent, even though no one voted for you. It just encourages parties to fill their list with party loyalists over talented individuals.

I have always said that anyone elected by FPTP should not feel it necessary to seek reelection if they leave their party - though I admired Carswell and Reckless for choosing to do so.

But anyone elected by a PR system that assigns seats based on party votes should surrender their seat to the p[arty when they leave. That goes for MEPs and assembly members as well. It was not Reckless's seat.
  • Options
    I see Ken has come up with a cunning way of meeting Jezzas requests not to mention Hitler...he is now referring too him as "Mr H".
  • Options

HYUFD said:

So you are sticking with UKIP I gather. Ever the loyalist.
    I have never voted UKIP in my life, I have voted LD more often and I voted Remain but the longer May leaves introduction of a work permit requirement and the more we continue to pay to the EU for a transition deal the better UKIP will do
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited April 2017
    An xMP and xAM, but I doubt we'll see UKiP MEPs quitting while there’s dosh to be made.
  • Options

He betrayed The Posh Boys... And he sounds like a Dalek?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,892
    kle4 said:

Why bother? I was so into it that I almost ran as a candidate in the GE, but now I can't remember if I am a member of Ukip or not!

They should (and are whether they like it not not) scale down and concentrate resources where they can influence matters. Parish councils etc aren't worth the bother, just attack Remain MPs at the next GE, don't try and stand a candidate in every seat
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    UKIP living down to their reputation.

https://twitter.com/asabenn/status/849967573206806528
  • Options

That was possibly the wrong thing to ask. You'll only set him off again!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Or they've changed who they're fighting?

Why fight a May government that is implementing Brexit when you can fight a Corbyn opposition, or Farron's die-in-the-ditch-for-Remain Lib Dems?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Sad to see this story:

I don't know the merits of the particular case, but I do strongly dislike the nanny state that thinks it is in all cases (as indicated by legislating on the matter) a better judge than the parents on what is best for the kid. In my view, it is the exception, rather than the rule, both that parents make bad decisions for their kids, and that government is even in a position to have the facts to decide what is truly in the kid's interests.

Personally, I think all kids should travel more and all kids should spend more time with their parents. Admittedly, not all travel is equal in terms of its positive impact on a kid's education, inquisitiveness and openness to other cultures and ways of doing things, but even a beach holiday in Ibiza can open eyes and widen horizons.

Considering the child was 6 years old the judgement is ludicrous. The law has been brought into disrepute with these sorts of cases.
  • Options

That's nice. Something UKIP and TSE can agree on!
  • Options

The timing of his defection was designed to derail the Tory conference.

His subsequent actions in the days after also made him despised.
  • Options
    Off Topic

Surely I'm not alone in celebrating the fact that it's now 6 April and hopefully therefore I will no longer be confronted by a picture of Neil Woodford grinning out at me every time I switch on the internet, advertising his latest ISA suitable fund in which I should consider investing.
  • Options

I see Ken has come up with a cunning way of meeting Jezzas requests not to mention Hitler...he is now referring too him as "Mr H".

Don't mention Der Führer...
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077

Isn't that just good politics?

*hides*
  • Options

MTimT said:

Sad to see this story:

Considering the child was 6 years old the judgement is ludicrous. The law has been brought into disrepute with these sorts of cases.
    Problem is once a few kid's start taking holidays in term time half the class will soon be empty and holiday companies will just raise their prices in term time anyway
  • Options
    Neil Hamilton, renowned expert on personal integrity, comments:

Neil Hamilton AC/AM @NeilUKIP

So #Reckless ratted on Tories & now ratted on UKIP. Never be trusted again. Gone into hiding & refused to face press.
  • Options

First time TSE has something in common with Kippers
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,198

Don't hold back, tell us what you really think...
    What are you hinting at here?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Sad to see this story:

Problem is once a few kid's start taking holidays in term time half the class will soon be empty and holiday companies will just raise their prices in term time anyway
    So what? Especially if the child is 6.

Besides it isn't just about holiday prices. Some parents can't get time off during the school holidays, what are they supposed to do? Never go on a holiday? Never spend time with their children?
  • Options

So #Reckless ratted on Tories & now ratted on UKIP. Never be trusted again. Gone into hiding & refused to face press.

Must say I feel sorry for the people of Wales that they are lumbered with politicians like these!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Sad to see this story:

Rubbish. These rules never used to apply and the classes weren't half empty. There are many like me who due to work are not able to take time off during holidays. Now because my daughter was studying for GCSEs we haven't taken a holiday for more than 3 years because I am always working during holidays and didn't want to risk her education at that point. But if I decided to take a holiday in term time because that was the only time available to me I would do it and screw the authorities.

Maybe they should fine all those teachers who decide to strike during term time as well.
  • Options
    I suspect the reason TSE thinks Reckless is the Cunto De Tutti Cunti is because he is an apostate. From the religion of Dave n George. The wellspring of TSE's very being.
    Reckless, like Carswell, has not altered his political views about the EU since forever. Under the gimps the Tory party drifted away from the common man and into bed with Clegg and views shared by (shudders) Heseltine, Clark, Ashdown, Mandelson, and god-only-knows what manner of pondlife. When Dave, who got himself elected as party leader on the false prospectus of being a Eurosceptic, basically gave up trying to get EU reform Reckless had had enough and walked. The timing was most unhelpful to project Daveosexualist. The party left Reckless and Carswell really, not the other way around.
    Post-Brexit and with that nice MrsMay in charge, the party has come right back to where it bloody well should have been all along (and mostly was but in a quiet, resentful sort of way).
    Simples.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Sad to see this story:

Besides it isn't just about holiday prices. Some parents can't get time off during the school holidays, what are they supposed to do? Never go on a holiday? Never spend time with their children?
    Most companies allow a set period of annual leave, school holidays fall in the summer Easter and Christmas and half term plenty of time to fit in a fortnight break and once you open the floodgates you risk endless problems of pupil absence in term time, catch up classes etc
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,892
    Doesn't look smartly dressed or European to me

https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/849969950626267136
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    Global Britain left in the slow lane again...

https://twitter.com/malmstromeu/status/849875120235708416
  • Options

Isn't that just good politics?

*hides*
    If we're ever at a PB meet, I'll tell you the full story about those few days.

This is what a Leaver Tory MP told me at the time

I can't say the word c**t but Mark Reckless is a f**king c**t who deserves a red hot poker up his arse
  • Options

Australia has agreed they want a UK trade deal too and if Abbott topples Turnbull that will come about all the sooner
  • Options

Japan, now Australia. Brexit seems to have encouraged forward movement between the EU and other parties somewhat.....
  • Options
    edited April 2017

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Sad to see this story:

Rubbish. These rules never used to apply and the classes weren't half empty. There are many like me who due to work are not able to take time off during holidays. Now because my daughter was studying for GCSEs we haven't taken a holiday for more than 3 years because I am always working during holidays and didn't want to risk her education at that point. But if I decided to take a holiday in term time because that was the only time available to me I would do it and screw the authorities.

Maybe they should fine all those teachers who decide to strike during term time as well.
    I do think there needs to be felxibility,

Obviously if someone if 15 or 16 and building up to GCSE's they shouldn't be going off on holiday in term time but if a kid if 5, 6, 7, 10 etc.. And their parents want to go on holiday for a week in term time I don't think it's anybody else's business.

I remember when I was about 10 we went to Jersey in June (term time) that was one of the best holiday's I had with my parents and brother and after my father died last year there were many fond memories that I looked back on from that holiday when we were all together...

Oh and after visiting the WWII underground hospital, when I got back to school, I wrote a long project about it and got an A*.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    Re: term-holidays
    The reason for this is probably the same as the reason we can't have lots of nice things we'd like: people taking the piss.

Another way of thinking about it: if you want the state to educate your child, you have to abide by the state's rules. Discuss...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Japan, now Australia. Brexit seems to have encouraged forward movement between the EU and other parties somewhat.....
    Possibly, and possibly being reported more (or at least pasted on here more!)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Sad to see this story:

Most companies allow a set period of annual leave, school holidays fall in the summer Easter and Christmas and half term plenty of time to fit in a fortnight break and once you open the floodgates you risk endless problems of pupil absence in term time, catch up classes etc
    Again utter rubbish. There are huge numbers of people for whom it is impossible to arrange time off during school holidays and your comments are simply not backed up by the evidence. None attendance due to holidays never used to be a major problem and this law was entirely unnecessary.

There are plenty of parents who do not ensure their children attend school and allow them to play truant. All this is doing is going after the responsible parents who simply want to take their child away for a holiday rather than those who don't give a damn. I am afraid both the law and your view of parenting are somewhat warped.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Sad to see this story:

The only way I could see it being possible is to organise revision classes, homework in the holidays for time missed and cap it at a maximum 2 weeks per pupil per school year with no more than 10% of each class permitted to be absent at any 1 time.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Australia has agreed they want a UK trade deal too and if Abbott topples Turnbull that will come about all the sooner
    Labor will get into power come 2020 in Aus.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Must say I feel sorry for the people of Wales that they are lumbered with politicians like these!
    Its the labour politicians that are the problem in Wales - been in power far too long - over the last five years we have had annual council tax increases of 5%, education is failing, and as for the NHS it just one long list of failure
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

FPT

Ishmael_Z said:

Ishmael_Z said:

isam said:

The problem as I see it is KL makes it sound as though it was a neutral common sense agreement w Hitler rather than ethnic cleansing

What? That is back to front: it was a neutral common sense agreement, and Livingstone is trying to make it sound like [Jews cooperating in] ethnic cleansing. None of this is historically controversial; "final solution" means the solution eventually settled on after previous solutions (expulsion to Israel/Madagascar/the rest of the world) had not worked. Livingstone's offence is not in the main misrepresenting the truth*, but stating it in a way designed to generate misinterpretations.

* that is, about the existence of the Agreement. His subsidiary claims about Hitler approving the flying of the Zionist flag in Germany are bonkers.
    It is not a neutral common sense agreement.

If tonight the British government rounded up all your property in the middle of the night and then said 'get out the country never to return and we will return your property to you' would your agreeing to that mean the agreement was neutral and common sense?
    Yes, if I knew that the other solutions to my continuing presence in the country the British government had in mind were those that Hitler was known to have in mind at the time of the agreement. If your point is that Hitler wasn't very nice, it is a valid one. What Livingstone is (I think) trying to derive from the history is that Hitler was secretly pro-Jew and vice versa. My point is that the existence of the agreement is evidence of nothing more than rational self-interest on both sides, given ultimate objectives of freeing Germany of Jews on the one hand, and remaining alive on the other.
    I don't consider any agreement to be made under duress to be neutral. If I point a gun at you and say your money or your life, then you choosing your life may be self-preservation but it isn't a neutral agreement.
    It is neutral in the sense that given the situation that you want to obtain my money by armed robbery and I want not to be killed (and that just is the situation, whether we like it or not), my giving you my money and you not killing me are both fully explained by the fact that we are guided by rational self-interest. What Livingstone is cleverly and nastily doing is to insinuate that there must be more to the bargain than meets the eye - that, e.g. I secretly and for discreditable reasons want to give you money anyway.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Sad to see this story:

Again utter rubbish. There are huge numbers of people for whom it is impossible to arrange time off during school holidays and your comments are simply not backed up by the evidence. None attendance due to holidays never used to be a major problem and this law was entirely unnecessary.

There are plenty of parents who do not ensure their children attend school and allow them to play truant. All this is doing is going after the responsible parents who simply want to take their child away for a holiday rather than those who don't give a damn. I am afraid both the law and your view of parenting are somewhat warped.
    May I ask what jobs prevent one organising a holiday out of term time?
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,287
    The Kippers must be feeling sad. The best they can hope for now is that Theresa agrees to some compromise over EU immigration and they can try milking that - i.e. an unpleasant campaign based on Xenophobia and divisiveness. But that's a far cry from the revolutionary and Utopian movement they once dreamt of forging. Curious that Brexit has had the effect of entrenching Theresa and the establishment Tories in power, possibly for ever.
  • Options
    What is wrong with just giving kids work to do whilst they're away. I'm in complete agreement with Richard Tyndall here, it's far too heavy handed and the idea that it goes to court these days is an utter nonsense.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

The reason for this is probably the same as the reason we can't have lots of nice things we'd like: people taking the piss.

Another way of thinking about it: if you want the state to educate your child, you have to abide by the state's rules. Discuss...

I agree with the general gist of why HMG has imposed these restrictions and accept that there will always be a few hard luck stories. Perhaps after consultation between school and parent, the final say should be with the head teacher.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810
    Pulpstar said:

LOL, running dog for Trump and bomb supplier for Saudis, what a global trader the UK will be , oh forgot Duarte
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    Nihal Arthanayake (Radio 5 Live presenter) just commented on Mark Reckless's defection by quipping 'The People's Judean Front and the People's Front of Judea.... and all that'...

Which was as brave as it was inflammatory in the current BBC climate!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,810
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Sad to see this story:

The only way I could see it being possible is to organise revision classes, homework in the holidays for time missed and cap it at a maximum 2 weeks per pupil per school year with no more than 10% of each class permitted to be absent at any 1 time.
    Ha Ha Ha , who would be teaching the revision classes
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Sad to see this story:

For a 6 year old???? Do you actually have kids?

I do wonder how it worked for decades before these morons decided to criminalise having a holiday. You know? Back when we actually had a reasonable education system rather than the devalued rubbish we have now.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Well that went well....

Labour's plan to tax private school fees to pay for free school meals in tatters

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/06/jeremy-corbyn-announces-vat-rise-private-schools-policy-pay/
  • Options
    madasafishmadasafish Posts: 659
    Pulpstar said:

What is wrong with just giving kids work to do whilst they're away. I'm in complete agreement with Richard Tyndall here, it's far too heavy handed and the idea that it goes to court these days is an utter nonsense.

And then when you have people with kids doing badly at school with parents taking them out of school, it is impossible to prevent it..

• Options
    AlsoIndigoAlsoIndigo Posts: 1,852
    Pulpstar said:

I recommend living in a holiday destination and homeschooling your child, saves all the heart ache :smiley:
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Sad to see this story:

For me it is offshore work. But there are many others in self employed businesses who cannot choose when they take holidays.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    Cyan said:

No more news yet on the story about confidential police documents being found at the French National Front's HQ.

As I understand it, they were found in February this year, but their status as police documents that were supposed to be confidential was only revealed yesterday.

This is not to be confused with the raid of February 2016, on which occasion Le Pen filmed the police with her mobile phone, and when they asked her to stop she famously "wedged" it between her tits, continuing to film and daring them to come and get it. (Report in the Times.)

If this story develops it could damage Le Pen a lot, as people get scared of what relations her party might have with elements within the police.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Most teaching these days doesn't consist of saying "turn to page 94 and do the exercises". We explain, do experiments or demonstrations, ask questions, do small group work and so on. Organising work for someone who won't be there can take almost as much time as planning for the original lesson. If someone is ill for a couple of weeks we will do our best, but they will not be in the same position as someone who attended the lessons. Besides, if they are on holiday they aren't going to want to spend five or six hours on school work each day.
  • Options

And yet they are not going after those taking the piss. They are instead criminalising the otherwise law abiding so it looks like they are doing something. Discuss.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    Mark Reckless will probably be leading the Welsh Conservatives before long. TSE will have to be polite about him.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

And then when you have people with kids doing badly at school with parents taking them out of school, it is impossible to prevent it..

Do we have any evidence these regulations make any difference to anything except the blood pressure of some parents ? The idea that a struggling child (usually because of parental disinterest) is suddenly going to do well because they don't miss a couple of weeks of school in a non-critical year seems a little fanciful.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Pulpstar said:

If a kid is doing badly at school there will be a lot more going on than a "one off" family holiday in term time.

Richard Tyndall is right. For years (decades) this all ran perfectly smoothly with a flexible system where-by if a family wanted to do something exceptional (like have a week's holiday in June rather than August) it was acceptable (and in some cases maybe even encouraged as "family time" seemed to be valued much more)

Why does everything have to be such a big issue these days?
  • Options
    MTimT said:

Sad to see this story:

I'm with you on this one. Seems a bit rigid, but that's the law I guess.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Sad to see this story:

Being a Red Coat at Butlins?

• Options
    As far as I'm concerned, anything which keeps planes and holiday destinations child-free for much of the year is an unalloyed public good.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

kle4 said:

Or they've changed who they're fighting?

Why fight a May government that is implementing Brexit when you can fight a Corbyn opposition, or Farron's die-in-the-ditch-for-Remain Lib Dems?
    Exactly. Most of us would want to see the Conservatives win a 1935-type victory.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

MTimT said:

Sad to see this story:

Pretty much anyone that works in leisure or hospitality.
This discussion has been closed.