Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Some Brexit special bets

SystemSystem Posts: 11,019
edited April 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Some Brexit special bets

Paddy Power have some Brexit specials up, my initial view is that is market is a good way of contributing to the Paddy Power Christmas bonus fund.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Remoaners to work out how democracy works before 2099 1000/1
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Second like Remain!
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2017
    I wonder what United are offering for overbooked flights at the moment? Free first class trips with free accommodation and food....
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    edited April 2017
    Fourth like Scottish Lab
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605
    Does "in 2020" mean on Jan 1 or throughout the year? Big difference when it is a GE year!

Paddy should offer a "Next out of the EU" market. I'd go for Hungary - either by choice or by being expelled.
  • Options
    Outside the top four...like Arsenal....
  • Options

I wonder what United are offering for overbooked flights at the moment? Free first class trips with free accommodation and food....

Shares in their airline? They are a bargain buy today :D
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    In 33 years I'll be 95! Doubt I'll need the return on the £5 I'd bet :grin:
  • Options

Does "in 2020" mean on Jan 1 or throughout the year? Big difference when it is a GE year!

Paddy should offer a "Next out of the EU" market. I'd go for Hungary - either by choice or by being expelled.

The EU cannot expel anyone. There is no provision for it and that is why if the UK withdrew A50 then the EU would have to re-integrate the UK back into the system.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,893

If the CEO has any sense, his public weasel words will be accompanied by a serious look at how certain aspects of their business work. Airlines and hotels have always overbooked, but with much better data analysis in recent years they've been pushing it further and further - until this quite predictable result.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited April 2017

The EU cannot expel anyone. There is no provision for it and that is why if the UK withdrew A50 then the EU would have to re-integrate the UK back into the system.

You mean the EU would re-accommodate us?

:open_mouth:
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    Sandpit said:

If the CEO has any sense, his public weasel words will be accompanied by a serious look at how certain aspects of their business work. Airlines and hotels have always overbooked, but with much better data analysis in recent years they've been pushing it further and further - until this quite predictable result.
    Removing the cap on comp they seem to have would be one way of pretty much solving it. I find it hard to imagine no one would have nibbled at $5k, as an extreme example.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    I doubt many PB punters will be around to collect those bets set to expire in 2030, 40 and 50.
  • Options
    On topic, these are all rubbish bets, apart from possibly the PM still being in place in 2020 (1st Jan 2020?)
    I'm always suspicious of bets where only one side is on offer, and more so of bets that could run for years into the future.
  • Options

I doubt many PB punters will be around to collect those bets set to expire in 2030, 40 and 50.

@Mortimer probably would be, the whipasnapa
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

Topical!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Good morning, campers.

Of course I don't own half the site. I was clearly having a larf. Duh.

As for insults, I accept that "you are a deluded, fecally vomiting old crone who should be euthanised" is not the friendliest of remarks, but its overt hyperbole surely shows that it is meant, at least partly, in jest. Whether you found it funny is up to you. The Smithsons are free to ban me as and when they wish, and quite often they do - and when I feel I have overstepped, I apologise.

Not this time.

And for balance, I have LITERALLY and sincerely been called a pedophile, a rapist and a Nazi on this site, where no hyperbole was intended at all - and usually by people hiding behind a pseudonym, unlike me, where I post under my own name and am freely identifiable in real life.

In short: grow the F up.

Good morning? Off on the travels again is it?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

Removing the cap on comp they seem to have would be one way of pretty much solving it. I find it hard to imagine no one would have nibbled at $5k, as an extreme example.
    I am going to guess that will lots of other things in the airline industry they have gradually been squeezing the limits on what comp they will offer to an extent that it is only marginally worth it (compared to 10+ years ago where it was very attractive to volunteer to get bumped).

The last time I volunteered from recollection it was Delta (notoriously stingy) and I think they only gave me $500 worth of vouchers. My situation was actually it was going to save me the cost of a hotel stay as well, so I took it. But $500 flight vouchers is not a huge amount for what is a big inconvenience for a lot of people.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Why is "UK to join EU before 2030" available at shorter odds than "UK to join EU before 2050"?
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,977
    Lifting a thought from the previous topic; What if there’s an unsatisfactory economic situtation in 2020, and in consequence a hung Parliament and LD’s are strong enough to demand, as part of a Coalition, a re-run of the referendum?
    After all, if people who’ve for years gone off to Spain and similar for their holidays are going to find barriers, they’re going to be somewhat disenchanted, particularly if things aren’t going well at home.

Lot of what-if’s, I realise.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

I got bumped from a hotel in Sydney late last year, for the first time ever. They literally removed my booking (and many others), to re-accommodate 100 passengers from a favoured and linked airline, whose flight had just been cancelled.

TBF they rehoused me in a rather nicer hotel in the centre of the city, but it added hours of hassle to an exhausting journey. Extraordinary.
    I hope you asked them if they knew who you were....
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,939
    I am surprised at the price for getting a trade deal before May 1st 2019. I would have thought it was a lot less likely than that. Not saying it isn't probably better than 50:50 chance but 1/10 seems very short.
  • Options

Lifting a thought from the previous topic; What if there’s an unsatisfactory economic situtation in 2020, and in consequence a hung Parliament and LD’s are strong enough to demand, as part of a Coalition, a re-run of the referendum?
    After all, if people who’ve for years gone off to Spain and similar for their holidays are going to find barriers, they’re going to be somewhat disenchanted, particularly if things aren’t going well at home.

Lot of what-if’s, I realise.

I suspect not rerunning would be a red line for the Tories (not that the LDs would ever in my lifetime countenance working with them again), and though with Labour who knows what the view will be tomorrow let alone in 3 years, I'd think if they were willing to rerun the situation would have changed so much they'd agree with the LDs to not even rerun, just reverse! Improbable, to say the least.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Good morning, campers.

As for insults, I accept that "you are a deluded, fecally vomiting old crone who should be euthanised" is not the friendliest of remarks, but its overt hyperbole surely shows that it is meant, at least partly, in jest. Whether you found it funny is up to you. The Smithsons are free to ban me as and when they wish, and quite often they do - and when I feel I have overstepped, I apologise.

Not this time.

And for balance, I have LITERALLY and sincerely been called a pedophile, a rapist and a Nazi on this site, where no hyperbole was intended at all - and usually by people hiding behind a pseudonym, unlike me, where I post under my own name and am freely identifiable in real life.

Being insulted by Sean T in those or similar terms (as I have been) means that he has addressed the question of insult with some seriousness. It’s rather a compliment!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, a good starting point would be empowerment of those at the gate to take decisions up to a higher value to avoid an escalating situation. A serious amount of customer service training also required, including drumming it into people that it's 2017 and people now all have phones with video cameras.

$5k would have bitten someone I would have thought, there must have been someone retired or student on the plane.

I don't know if they still do it, but BA captains used to have a company credit card with absolutely no limit for emergency use - such as buying 300 hotel rooms and 100 tons of fuel if diverted somewhere unexpected.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,714
    Ishmael_Z said:

Leavers to work out how to be magnanimous in victory 350 million to 1.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733

Why is "UK to join EU before 2030" available at shorter odds than "UK to join EU before 2050"?

Time value of money at a guess.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

@Mortimer probably would be, the whipasnapa
    Lousy bets, I think you'll agree he’d be better off investing his ill-gotten gains down the pub.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

Yes, a good starting point would be empowerment of those at the gate to take decisions up to a higher value to avoid an escalating situation. A serious amount of customer service training also required, including drumming it into people that it's 2017 and people now all have phones with video cameras.

$5k would have bitten someone I would have thought, there must have been someone retired or student on the plane.

I don't know if they still do it, but BA captains used to have a company credit card with absolutely no limit for emergency use - such as buying 300 hotel rooms and 100 tons of fuel if diverted somewhere unexpected.
    My first ever trans-atlantic flight as a scruffy back-packing student I managed to get upgraded to first class on BA....been downhill ever since then.

I am not sure other the other dwellers of the first class section were too happy to have a pleb in their midst.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

Good morning, campers.

Not this time.

Nah. Just feeling chirpy and matitudinal. Girlfriend coming round this eve. Spring sunshine streaming through the windows. My first draft finished. Etc.
    Matitudinal? It’s half way through the afternoon.

At least it is for larks. (the birds, I mean!)
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited April 2017
    interesting that Boris's appeal for sanctions against Russia should be rejected by almost everywhere. Boris referring to 'Our EU Partners' must have had most of them choking on their croissants.

He's probably the only person who can't see the irony in asking the Russians if they wouldn't feel more comfortabe allying themselves with the 'West's allies in the Middle East' rather than Syria Iran and Hezzbollah.

.....That'll be Saudi Arabia where women get 50 lashes for driving a car and executed for carrying dope

........Difficult choice.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Lennon said:

But if you thought us rejoining before 2030 was a possibility, then surely you'd just take the 11/2 for before 2050, assuming you get paid out on us rejoining (i.e. not having to wait until 2050).
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Has anyone else read this remarkable NYTimes piece on London, in which they grudgingly admit London might be the capital of the world, but - yay! - Brexit will probably destroy it.

Despite its absurd bias, it is stylishly written, and, much more importantly, exquisitely designed with flowing videos and compelling imagery. Stunning. It works best on an iPad or maybe a large cellphone, it's a bit more frustrating on a laptop.

But the format of this article points to a new future for "print" journalism. It's kinda magical.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/04/11/world/europe/uk-london-brexit.html?_r=0

A number of media outlets have experimented with this format. The BBC did a load like that, but seemed to have dropped it recently.
  • Options
    Nevertheless advice given is always more persuasive if it has already been taken
  • Options
    Speaking of stocks and shares, how's the FTSE100/250 doing these days? *innocent face*
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,295
    Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

Thing is, suppose you are at the gate as a new supervisor. Flight's overbooked, everyone not budging and you, yes you, offered $5k.

No one will ever know that had you stuck to $800 there would have been a short yard off the shareprice following the forcible removal of a stubborn passenger.

It's the same conversation that eg. CFOs have that we were all taught about in financial modelling about explaining their hedging strategies to the Board.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Leavers will be able to be magnanimous in victory when Remoaners actually accept defeat. That is the root cause of the problem. There are plenty of Remain voters on here and in the country who have accepted the result with good grace and have now made clear they are as keen as anyone for Brexit to work. They deserve and get respect and kudos for that.

Those who persist in claiming that somehow the referendum should be declared invalid because of supposed lies, thick voters or they just don't like the result, deserve nothing but scorn and contempt.
  • Options
    LennonLennon Posts: 1,733
    tlg86 said:

Lennon said:

But if you thought us rejoining before 2030 was a possibility, then surely you'd just take the 11/2 for before 2050, assuming you get paid out on us rejoining (i.e. not having to wait until 2050).
    Fair point - I was thinking the other way around. Maybe you need to wait till 2050 in case we rejoin, and then leave again... Either way it's a distinct no bet which this perhaps highlights.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

My first ever trans-atlantic flight as a scruffy back-packing student I managed to get upgraded to first class on BA....been downhill ever since then.

I am not sure other the other dwellers of the first class section were too happy to have a pleb in their midst.
    Couple of years ago my wife and I were booked on a flight to the Far East, in economy class. We got to the holding area before the gate and, when our boarding cards were checked we were pulled over and given business class ones.

Very nice, except the breakfast upset my tum. Shouldn’t have had the Chinese one, I suppose.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,925
    Lennon said:

?????????????????? How ?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Has anyone else read this remarkable NYTimes piece on London, in which they grudgingly admit London might be the capital of the world, but - yay! - Brexit will probably destroy it.

Despite its absurd bias, it is stylishly written, and, much more importantly, exquisitely designed with flowing videos and compelling imagery. Stunning. It works best on an iPad or maybe a large cellphone, it's a bit more frustrating on a laptop.

But the format of this article points to a new future for "print" journalism. It's kinda magical.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/04/11/world/europe/uk-london-brexit.html?_r=0

https://twitter.com/Ned_Donovan/status/851713535486943232

:D
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

Thing is, suppose you are at the gate as a new supervisor. Flight's overbooked, everyone not budging and you, yes you, offered $5k.

No one will ever know that had you stuck to $800 there would have been a short yard off the shareprice following the forcible removal of a stubborn passenger.

It's the same conversation that eg. CFOs have that we were all taught about in financial modelling about explaining their hedging strategies to the Board.
    Given you have the demographic info of all passengers onboard and how much they paid for their ticket, I am surprised the airlines don't have some big data analytic solution to "bidding" to passengers, targeting ones most likely to accept.

Just doing a random shout out seems very inefficient and I am guessing they have standard offers regardless of who they are bidding to.
  • Options
    Roger said:

interesting that Boris's appeal for sanctions against Russia should be rejected by almost everywhere. Boris referring to 'Our EU Partners' must have had most of them choking on their croissants.

He's probably the only person who can't see the irony in asking the Russians if they wouldn't feel more comfortabe allying themselves with the 'West's allies in the Middle East' rather than Syria Iran and Hezzbollah.

.....That'll be Saudi Arabia where women get 50 lashes for driving a car and executed for carrying dope

We have spent way too many decades backing the wrong horse in the Middle East. If we had taken Iran seriously and treated them as a potential ally instead of a bogey man I do believe we would have seen far fewer conflicts and far more stability in the Middle East than backing a band of Rub al Khali tribesmen who have brought nothing but disaster to the region. It is a lesson we are still not yet able to learn.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    SeanT said:

Good morning, campers.

Anyone who has an Oireland flag as their avatar deserves all they get frankly. One step up from a saltire.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

I got bumped from a hotel in Sydney late last year, for the first time ever. They literally removed my booking (and many others), to re-accommodate 100 passengers from a favoured and linked airline, whose flight had just been cancelled.

TBF they rehoused me in a rather nicer hotel in the centre of the city, but it added hours of hassle to an exhausting journey. Extraordinary.
    I did and the manager got flustered. I'm pretty sure that's why their offer went from "shittier hotel 3 miles further out of town" to the "Intercontinental overlooking the Harbour Bridge".

Everyone else got the shittier hotel.

Nonetheless I still got bumped. Salutary.
    I seem to recall a story of journalist (possibly from the Telegraph), who was booked in First on her honeymoon flight which got cancelled. BA put her and her husband in the Savoy for the night, and sent her through the VVIP channel straight to the plane in the hotel car the next day.

That is how you deal with unusual situations, it doesn't cost a huge amount of money in the grand scheme of things, but makes a massive difference to how customers perceive your company.
  • Options

Roger said:

We have spent way too many decades backing the wrong horse in the Middle East. If we had taken Iran seriously and treated them as a potential ally instead of a bogey man I do believe we would have seen far fewer conflicts and far more stability in the Middle East than backing a band of Rub al Khali tribesmen who have brought nothing but disaster to the region. It is a lesson we are still not yet able to learn.
    It all goes back to Mossadeq.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

I did and the manager got flustered. I'm pretty sure that's why their offer went from "shittier hotel 3 miles further out of town" to the "Intercontinental overlooking the Harbour Bridge".

Everyone else got the shittier hotel.

Nonetheless I still got bumped. Salutary.
    I seem to recall a story of journalist (possibly from the Telegraph), who was booked in First on her honeymoon flight which got cancelled. BA put her and her husband in the Savoy for the night, and sent her through the VVIP channel straight to the plane in the hotel car the next day.

That is how you deal with unusual situations, it doesn't cost a huge amount of money in the grand scheme of things, but makes a massive difference to how customers perceive your company.
    Just goes to show that if you have money when things go wrong they still go right. :p
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

Given you have the demographic info of all passengers onboard and how much they paid for their ticket, I am surprised the airlines don't have some big data analytic solution to "bidding" to passengers, targeting ones most likely to accept.

Just doing a random shout out seems very inefficient and I am guessing they have standard offers regardless of who they are bidding to.
    As I mentioned yesterday, they used to (in the US) target soldiers (who would comply with orders), and older, retired couples (who have time on their hands and might not be on deadlines).
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

SeanT said:

A number of media outlets have experimented with this format. The BBC did a load like that, but seemed to have dropped it recently.
    It's near enough unreadable on my laptop. A triumph of design over user effectiveness.
  • Options

Roger said:

Thanks OKC. I wasn't aware of that history. Fascinating. Do you think that if they were looking back now, the people who overthrew him might not think that it had been a bad decision in the grand scheme of things?
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

Leavers will be able to be magnanimous in victory when Remoaners actually accept defeat. That is the root cause of the problem. There are plenty of Remain voters on here and in the country who have accepted the result with good grace and have now made clear they are as keen as anyone for Brexit to work. They deserve and get respect and kudos for that.

Those who persist in claiming that somehow the referendum should be declared invalid because of supposed lies, thick voters or they just don't like the result, deserve nothing but scorn and contempt.
    Just as well Nigel Farage didn't take your advice in eg. 1992.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Really? Must have missed them. I've never seen it before, and I think it works beautifully. Only problem is that it really is best read on a tablet, or mega-large smartphone, and not everyone has them.

But if you do....
    I can't find a link with an example this sec. But BBC did it for magazine type articles and the Guardian tried it for their whole site. However, the Guardian's attempt was really bad though and they scraped it.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    SeanT said:

Interesting article and enjoyable slo-mo. I think they should go with Euro passports and let London and the progressive cities go their own way and leave the more parochial parts of the country to live in the bubble they want to create.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,921
    IanB2 said:

Fourth like Scottish Lab

will you be able to say that for much longer
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

Good morning, campers.

Anyone who has an Oireland flag as their avatar deserves all they get frankly. One step up from a saltire.
    still above your sash harry
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Really? Must have missed them. I've never seen it before, and I think it works beautifully. Only problem is that it really is best read on a tablet, or mega-large smartphone, and not everyone has them.

But if you do....
    I can't find a link with an example this sec. But BBC did it for magazine type articles and the Guardian tried it for their whole site. However, the Guardian's attempt was really bad though and they scraped it.
    Yep. Probably looks great filled with Lorem Ipsum on a designer's 12" iPad Pro in the well lit design office of the newspaper. But in the real world, it's crap.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Roger said:

Thanks OKC. I wasn't aware of that history. Fascinating. Do you think that if they were looking back now, the people who overthrew him might not think that it had been a bad decision in the grand scheme of things?
    Churchill, whatever his commendable activities elsewhere had somewhat of a blind spot when dealing with both the Middle East and India.
    I was just becoming politically conscious when all that happened, so it made quite an impression.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Fourth like Scottish Lab

You think they’ll slip to 5th?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990
    SeanT said:

matt said:

SeanT said:

It's near enough unreadable on my laptop. A triumph of design over user effectiveness.
    Like I said (several times), you have to read it on a tablet or a large smartphone, that's what it's designed for.
    Thus negating one of the greatest rules in web design. You're immediately limiting the number of readers who can access it.

The BBC have done some good ones, but it's almost as if they don't wish as many people as possible to read it. All web pages should be readable on Lynx. ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-e8c6cbab-da44-4a3c-8f9b-c4fccd53dd24
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-0192822d-14f1-432b-bd25-92eab6466362
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

But if you do....
    The Times has tried things in a similar-ish vein, but they were glitchy, & the imagery was less interesting.

The thing about the NYT piece is that they've nailed the format (on a tablet). It's perfect. You can see it working for so many genres - like travel articles - beautiful little gifs and vids and photos, seamlessly braided into the prose.... A whole new kind of journalism for the online age.

It's journalism reimagined from the ground up, with the internet and handheld devices in mind, and - crucially - I can see people paying for it.

Flash. Urgh.

• Options
    edited April 2017

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

But if you do....
    The Times has tried things in a similar-ish vein, but they were glitchy, & the imagery was less interesting.

The thing about the NYT piece is that they've nailed the format (on a tablet). It's perfect. You can see it working for so many genres - like travel articles - beautiful little gifs and vids and photos, seamlessly braided into the prose.... A whole new kind of journalism for the online age.

It's journalism reimagined from the ground up, with the internet and handheld devices in mind, and - crucially - I can see people paying for it.

Flash. Urgh.

Is it? Seriously? Who the f##k is using flash these days instead of HTML5?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

But if you do....

Flash. Urgh.

He saved every one of us.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Fourth like Scottish Lab

Way they are going it is hard to know how low they can go. Apart from agreeing with theTories, which is suicidal , they have nothing. It is unbelievable they just have no clue, just anti SNP.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good afternoon, everyone.

The only one that might remotely tempt me (and the time scale puts me off) is the bet on the EU dissolving before 2040. Personally, I think it'll stagger on a little longer, but the longer it takes to die, the more painful the death throes.
  • Options
    I have just found some very cheap flights to the states on United...coincidence?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

But if you do....
    Yep. Probably looks great filled with Lorem Ipsum on a designer's 12" iPad Pro in the well lit design office of the newspaper. But in the real world, it's crap.
    I read the NYT piece on a smaller iPad pro in the dim light of my bedroom, and it looked gorgeous.
    My iPad browser just crashed reading it, as well as munching trough my data plan!

I think most of us just want to read the words as we'd see them in a newspaper, in plain clear text.
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

IanB2 said:

Fourth like Scottish Lab

Way they are going it is hard to know how low they can go. Apart from agreeing with theTories, which is suicidal , they have nothing. It is unbelievable they just have no clue, just anti SNP.
    On cue here's Kezia:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/kezia-dugdale-on-indyref2-the-answer-is-the-same-nicola-1-4416032?ff=
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

Good morning, campers.

Why? It is the flag of my country. Well.... one of them anyway.... :)
  • Options

I have just found some very cheap flights to the states on United...coincidence?

Am I right in thinking that United have the oldest stewardesses on (or rather above) the planet?
  • Options

Is the beating included or does it cost extra?
  • Options

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

But if you do....

Flash. Urgh.
    I once had the joy of working with Macromedia's code for Shockwave (the predecessor of Flash). It was impressively bad. In fact, it taught me an awful lot about how *not* to code.

I'm unsurprised that Flash turned out to be as insecure and buggy as it is. But it's brilliant when compared to Shockwave. It was seriously bad.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

matt said:

SeanT said:

Like I said (several times), you have to read it on a tablet or a large smartphone, that's what it's designed for.
    Thus negating one of the greatest rules in web design. You're immediately limiting the number of readers who can access it.

The BBC have done some good ones, but it's almost as if they don't wish as many people as possible to read it. All web pages should be readable on Lynx. ;)

Meh, that's OK and interesting and all, but I've seen lots of websites and news outlets do that stuff. The Times (of London) does it better.

The point about the NYT piece is that they've closely linked the stunning imagery and clever words to make something more than the sum of its parts, it's positively poetic. The slo-mo is mesmerising, the choice of photos delightful, the dying fall at the end - with the embracing couple on a houseboat, perfectly matches the elegiac final paragraph.

Genius. Is there a word for this new kind of journalism? There should be.
    Yes.

Inaccessible.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

Good morning, campers.

Can you add "YES" , "REMAIN" and "45%" to it - makes it easier to skim past.. :D
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

matt said:

SeanT said:

Meh, that's OK and interesting and all, but I've seen lots of websites and news outlets do that stuff. The Times (of London) does it better.

The point about the NYT piece is that they've closely linked the stunning imagery and clever words to make something more than the sum of its parts, it's positively poetic. The slo-mo is mesmerising, the choice of photos delightful, the dying fall at the end - with the embracing couple on a houseboat, perfectly matches the elegiac final paragraph.

Glutenous?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Well one of the cheapest routes was a bizarre route that first went to Turkey then to US (not the one I am looking to book)...I guess your chances of a beating there are extra high...
  • Options
    I see the United share price is finally reacting - down 4% now.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057

https://twitter.com/queen_europe/status/851516521885126658
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Howard Jacobsen LOATHING Brexit (and Trump) on Newsnight!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvjHTwjHhWI
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Well one of the cheapest routes was a bizarre route that first went to Turkey then to US (not the one I am looking to book)...I guess your chances of a beating there are extra high...
    Why would anyone want to that, unless United need to get it’s plane back of some sort of service?
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,139

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

But if you do....

Flash. Urgh.

No, it is HTML5 - that's a <video> element in there. The markup isn't bad from an accessibility point of view, either, but it could be a lot better.

However, it is a bit clunky, and a resource hog.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Why would anyone want to that, unless United need to get it’s plane back of some sort of service?
    Probably codeshare on the first leg.
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

But if you do....
    I read the NYT piece on a smaller iPad pro in the dim light of my bedroom, and it looked gorgeous.
    My iPad browser just crashed reading it, as well as munching trough my data plan!

I think most of us just want to read the words as we'd see them in a newspaper, in plain clear text.
    Except that newspapers are dying, so they need to be reinvented, and this is clearly how you reinvent them: it is the way forward. Pretty soon data will be basically free and you can stop freaking out.

Anyway I clearly won't persuade the PB Luddites to enjoy this, so I'm off to buy bleach and champagne.
    Sounds like the worst cocktail ever.

Maybe the second worst.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

Sandpit said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

But if you do....

It works on my iPad but was quite annoying; it was easy to miss bits and I spend a lot of time scrolling back and forth making sure I had read the article in full (which actually appears to be several different articles strung together between pictures of varying relevance to the story).
  • Options
    mwadams said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

But if you do....

Flash. Urgh.

No, it is HTML5 - that's a <video> element in there. The markup isn't bad from an accessibility point of view, either, but it could be a lot better.

However, it is a bit clunky, and a resource hog.

My Flash blocker stopped some of it, so must be something else in there as well.

• Options
    I reckon my Betting Post at the end of the previous thread and reproduced below, is a far, far better bet than any of the above.

FWIW, I wish PP would offer the converse of their 1/10 shot on the UK establishing a trade deal with the EU on/before 1 May 2019 ..... I'd love to put down a wedge of cash at odds of say 8/1 or greater against such a deal being struck.

"The reported polling results suggested that the Tories would struggle to hold onto all but a small handful of them."

Yet another compelling reason for betting on there being no overall majority at the 2020 General Election.
    The current widely available betting odds of 2/1 or more, suggest that there is only a 33.3% probability of such an outcome and conversely therefore a 66.7% probability on there being an overall majority. Whereas I reckon those odds should be at least reversed since I see the likelihood of the LibDems making a significant recovery, even with Farron at the helm, winning somewhere between 25-35 seats (i.e. 5 - 7 London Cabs full), principally from the Tories and that Labour, by then having ditched Corbyn for someone broadly of the centre left, gaining between 25 - 50 seats overall, again principally from the Tories.
    In fact however, the Tories would only need to lose 7 seats net, based on the existing 650 seat Boundaries configuration, to lose their overall majority, which to my eyes appears very likely, albeit involving a three year plus wait before being able to collect one's winnings.
    For those of an impatient nature there must be a good prospect of trading such a bet profitably over a shorter time frame, using a betting exchange.

As ever DYOR.
  • Options
    Mr. Putney, I'm not convinced. Corbyn's electoral kryptonite.

If I were looking at the 2020 election, I'd be considering how the Lib Dems might fare.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

matt said:

SeanT said:

Yes.

Inaccessible.
    Most of the professional journalists on Twitter are raving about it. We can see what it means.

twitter.com/sarahmorgan/status/851809203782078464

twitter.com/soniasodha/status/851808833366261763

twitter.com/davidemancino1/status/851801048268361732

boo.com looked pretty amazing for some users too.

• Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

Good morning, campers.

Can you add "YES" , "REMAIN" and "45%" to it - makes it easier to skim past.. :D
    It is 48%. The Scot.Nats were the 45% .....
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

matt said:

SeanT said:

Yes.

Inaccessible.
    Most of the professional journalists on Twitter are raving about it. We can see what it means.

httptwitter.com/sarahmorgan/status/851809203782078464

htt://twitter.com/soniasodha/status/851808833366261763

htt://twitter.com/davidemancino1/status/851801048268361732
    I wouldn't want it to become the norm, I'd find it irritating, but for longer pieces I think it can work well.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

I see the likelihood of the LibDems making a significant recovery, even with Farron at the helm, winning somewhere between 25-35 seats (i.e. 5 - 7 London Cabs full), principally from the Tories.

Are you prepared to take odds on that?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Question to PB anoraks....

I have just found a ridiculous cheap flight via a reputable online booking site...but it is Dublin -> UK -> US, with an overnight layover in London. The two flights are on different airlines. Note I am not based in Dublin.

What is stopping you just not taking that Dublin -> UK portion and walking into the airport the next day when the UK -> US portion of the flight leaves?

• Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388

I have just found a ridiculous cheap flight via a reputable online booking site...but it is Dublin -> UK -> US, with an overnight layover in London. Note I am not based in Dublin.

What is stopping you just not taking that Dublin -> UK portion and walking into the airport the next day when the UK -> US portion of the flight leaves?

There was a legal battle over this, I think the passenger - or at least future passengers - lost the right to do this.
  • Options
    Mr. Putney, weirdly, I missed the latter half of your post before.

Agree on the Lib Dems, but that'd still be a rapid return after the woe of 2015.
  • Options

I have just found a ridiculous cheap flight via a reputable online booking site...but it is Dublin -> UK -> US, with an overnight layover in London. The two flights are on different airlines. Note I am not based in Dublin.

If you don't take the first leg the entire trip is cancelled.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Sandpit said:

RobD said:

Sandpit said:

About 1990 I was flying out of Jakarta on UTA, as a fairly newly qualified Doctor. Economy was overbooked so I got a First Class upgrade. I suspect they upgraded me as a European Doctor.

Unfortunately what they got was a backpacker who had been in transit in Jakarta airport, un airconditioned, with raging dysentry. I could barely keep a mouthful of water down.

After weeks of rice and noodles, Filet Mignon and Champers was on the menu. I couldn't touch it and was expending all my best efforts in not crapping the seat. It was torture.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

SeanT said:

Good morning, campers.

It is 48%. The Scot.Nats were the 45% .....
    Was it? If only Sunil were here....
  • Options
    edited April 2017

I have just found a ridiculous cheap flight via a reputable online booking site...but it is Dublin -> UK -> US, with an overnight layover in London. Note I am not based in Dublin.

There was a legal battle over this, I think the passenger - or at least future passengers - lost the right to do this.
    I am wondering how they would ever know given it is two different airlines and with an overnight layover your bags will not be stored at the airport?

Also could you not claim you missed the original flight and got the ferry overnight?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960

The only one that might remotely tempt me (and the time scale puts me off) is the bet on the EU dissolving before 2040. Personally, I think it'll stagger on a little longer, but the longer it takes to die, the more painful the death throes.

The risk with that bet is that the EU as we know it dies, but that a few countries remain in it (say Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, and Germany) and it remains technically in existence.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    RobD said:

If you don't take the first leg the entire trip is cancelled.
    Might have to have a day in Dublin then...worse things to do.

The flight is nearly half the price as just taking the London -> US leg !!!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    rcs1000 said:

The risk with that bet is that the EU as we know it dies, but that a few countries remain in it (say Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, and Germany) and it remains technically in existence.
    Also, obviously, there is the not inconsiderable risk that the bet pays out, but that Paddy's is not around to honour it.
This discussion has been closed.