Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest locals: CON gains from LAB in Middlesbrough but makes h

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited April 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Latest locals: CON gains from LAB in Middlesbrough but makes heavy weather against the Greens in Dorset

Coulby Newham on Middlesbrough (Lab defence, resignation of sitting member) Result: Conservatives 501 (38% +12%), Labour 468 (35% -3%), Independent 318 (24% +1%), Green Party 32 (2%, no candidate at last election) Conservative GAIN from Labour with a majority of 33 (3%) on a swing of 7.5% from Lab to Con

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    First like the Tories in Middlesbrough.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Second :(
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029
    RobD said:

It's a fiddle.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,971
    So, the thread is saying Venezuelan Corbynite Labour isn't in the catchment area of the electorate?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

RobD said:

It's a fiddle.
    Gotta be in the right place at the right time. Namely the new thread, and first :D
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    SeanT said:

Meanwhile

"World 'on the brink of thermo-nuclear war', as North Korea mulls test that could goad Trump"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/13/us-may-launch-strike-north-korea-goes-nuclear-weapons-test/

Looking very worrying. Something could kick off at any moment.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

So, the thread is saying Venezuelan Corbynite Labour isn't in the catchment area of the electorate?

The South is apparently about to rebel there. They want to declare an independent collective called Democratic South Venezuelan Corbynite Republic. Corbyn to be President for life, and to nominate his successor etc. Over 100% of their people support this according to the official spokesman.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    “Piddle Valley” - I know the place very well, along with all the other piddles and puddles around the Dorchester area. Dorset has some real cracking place names and some quite charming little towns.
  • Options
    Mr. Omnium, thought that was serious until I reached the second line. I wouldn't be too surprised if civil war really did break out.

BBC had an interesting report on it, although I was amused when Stephen Sackur[sp] said "Our cover was blown."

Of course it was. You were with the mother of an incarcerated man, who was shouting at the prison. The guards aren't deaf.
  • Options
    F1: now Sainz has engine woe. Think Toro Rosso has a Renault engine.

Hmm. More cooling may be required.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Meanwhile

"World 'on the brink of thermo-nuclear war', as North Korea mulls test that could goad Trump"

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/13/us-may-launch-strike-north-korea-goes-nuclear-weapons-test/

The truly worrying thing is that Trump is not being entirely crazy. N Korea is on the verge of mastering ICBMs which could wipe out Los Angeles.

Could any POTUS tolerate that, in the context of such a crazy, unbalanced regime? Arguably not. Arguably this is Obama's doing, and Trump has to clean up.

Tehran is a model of sanity compared to Pyongyang.
    For someone who's never been involved in politics, Trump understand power and psychology very well. He knows that being seen as an unpredictable loose cannon gives you leverage that you don't have if your responses are totally predictable. I'm sure his Syria strike and MOAB drop in Afghanistan were done with more than an eye on psyching out the loonies in Pyongyang.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Meanwhile

The truly worrying thing is that Trump is not being entirely crazy. N Korea is on the verge of mastering ICBMs which could wipe out Los Angeles.

Could any POTUS tolerate that, in the context of such a crazy, unbalanced regime? Arguably not. Arguably this is Obama's doing, and Trump has to clean up.

For someone who's never been involved in politics, Trump understand power and psychology very well. He knows that being seen as an unpredictable loose cannon gives you leverage that you don't have if your responses are totally predictable. I'm sure his Syria strike and MOAB drop in Afghanistan were done with more than an eye on on psyching out the loonies in Pyongyang.
    Agreed, but can you out-crazy the crazy dudes?
    No if they think you are prepared to strike first.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Meanwhile

I think the solution is to surrender mainly. I know that sounds weird, but if the world surrenders to North Korea then what are they actually going to do?

By surrendering we unleash the lawyers. North Korea, I'm guessing has few lawyers.

• Options
    Mr. T, I suspect not. But perhaps we will.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg2z4pmmY18
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

“Piddle Valley” - I know the place very well, along with all the other piddles and puddles around the Dorchester area. Dorset has some real cracking place names and some quite charming little towns.

Indeed. I've even heard that it is one of the few counties where bookshops are opening, rather than closing...
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Conservative GAIN from Labour

I wonder how many times we will hear that on GE night in 2020 ?

• Options

Could be an interesting night. Imagine if we saw the sort of realignments away from Labour that the polls are indicating.

Con gain Bootle?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Yorkcity said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Meanwhile

For someone who's never been involved in politics, Trump understand power and psychology very well. He knows that being seen as an unpredictable loose cannon gives you leverage that you don't have if your responses are totally predictable. I'm sure his Syria strike and MOAB drop in Afghanistan were done with more than an eye on on psyching out the loonies in Pyongyang.
    We're about to find out.
    True hopefully China will step upto the plate and influence both sides.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
  • Options
    Mr. City, direct AIr China flights between Beijing and Pyongyang will no longer occur, it's been announced.

China is taking steps, but it remains to be seen how effective they'll be. The Chinese do not want either a failed state or a US ally right on its border.

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,930
    Mortimer said:

Could be an interesting night. Imagine if we saw the sort of realignments away from Labour that the polls are indicating.

Con gain Bootle?
    No, that’s nailed on for the Hero Kipper from Bootle,
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

Mr. City, direct AIr China flights between Beijing and Pyongyang will no longer occur, it's been announced.

China is taking steps, but it remains to be seen how effective they'll be. The Chinese do not want either a failed state or a US ally right on its border.

Or a smoking radioactive ruin.
  • Options
    BudG said:
    Narrowing still further.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Indeed. I've even heard that it is one of the few counties where bookshops are opening, rather than closing...
    Contrary to many perceptions, physical book sales are up, well up - in the USA as well as the UK. It's a bullish market.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2017/mar/17/london-book-fair-book-sales-up-ebooks-down

I also note, with some personal glee, the fact that those annoying readers are "still demanding" gripping psychological thrillers despite the fact that agents and publishers are "really bored of them".

Heh.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2017/mar/17/london-book-fair-book-sales-up-ebooks-down
    Yup. For both of our sakes, long may it continue. I have to keep reminding my lovely but blinkered consulting friends this. They see books as inefficient. I suggest that books not running out of battery makes them more efficient.

Interestingly, just like streaming increased music sales because people then know they want the object, I frequently sell antiquarian books to people because they've seen a section of it online and now know they want it...
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    Omnium said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Meanwhile

I think the solution is to surrender mainly. I know that sounds weird, but if the world surrenders to North Korea then what are they actually going to do?

By surrendering we unleash the lawyers. North Korea, I'm guessing has few lawyers.

Not sure it would work, Mr. Omnium. North Korea needs the state of war for its regime to survive, thus the regime needs the state of war. If it stopped existing then rather a lot of people would be asking, "Just so who is eating all the pies?"

Get rid of one fat pie eater and the world would be a better place* but the process of doing so seems to be beyond China and the USA combined.

*That is assuming the chap actually does have the power that is attributed to him. I am currently inclined to think he is more a figurehead and there are multiple competing groups behind the scenes (something like Henry VIII's court, perhaps).
  • Options
    If fiction has taught me anything, it's that only a teenage girl, who is possibly a vampire and is torn between which of two hot boys to date, can bring down Kim Jong-un's regime.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,163
    SeanT said:

Yorkcity said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Meanwhile

We're about to find out.
    Nixon had 'being seen as a a bit bonkers' as a foreign policy.
  • Options

Omnium said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Meanwhile

Not sure it would work, Mr. Omnium. North Korea needs the state of war for its regime to survive, thus the regime needs the state of war. If it stopped existing then rather a lot of people would be asking, "Just so who is eating all the pies?"

Get rid of one fat pie eater and the world would be a better place* but the process of doing so seems to be beyond China and the USA combined.

*That is assuming the chap actually does have the power that is attributed to him. I am currently inclined to think he is more a figurehead and there are multiple competing groups behind the scenes (something like Henry VIII's court, perhaps).
    Well you've entirely proved my point I think.

A chain of collapse in the pie community is far better than a chain of escalation in the nuclear club.
  • Options

Thanks Morris not aware of that ,hope it has an effect.
  • Options
    F1: Vettel's Ferrari ist kaput.

Prancing Horse looking a little lame.
  • Options
    isam said:
    I was literally just about to ask about this. It does look very suspicious. If the actual result is as close as this with all four candidates within a point or two of each other I'd be very surprised.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,390
    edited April 2017
    @SeanT, FPT
    Intriguing and enlightening.

I genuinely don't know what the answer is. But I know that leftwingers who airily dismiss grammar schools are possibly as misinformed as rightwingers who blithely dismiss comprehensives. All systems are gamed. In London, especially so.

London schooling is NOT comprehensive. The remaining grammar schools, meanwhile, are becoming eerie racial ghettos. Henrietta Barnett is not alone.

Tentatively, I think it's at least worth experimenting with grammars in the most deprived areas of post-industrial England and Wales.

I don't think there is one answer, which is why I'm a pluralist when it comes to education. (Also, given that the state imposes, by force of law, well over a decade of daytime detention on every child, they should at least allow some variety...)

The other lesson to draw is that pretty well all education, unless your parents are wealthy, is local. National politicians would do well to remember that.
  • Options
    Mr. City, np.

Mr. 86, oh, pish. Next you'll be saying that happened before the 2015 UK General Election.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,045
    fpt

What with it being a holiday and all here's an aimless anecdote. I was in Oxford and as you do went on the bus tour. Saw the Four Candles Wetherspoons in honour of Ronnie Barker and all the various colleges and museums. As we'd go past each college the guide would give us a little information. That's Somerville College where former prime minister Margaret Thatcher studied, that's Lady Margaret Hall where current prime minister Theresa May studied and then as we came to the next building he stated 'and if there are any fans of Strictly Come Dancing aboard, that there is Keble College, where Ed Balls studied.'

I smiled as he said it but it felt a bit disconcerting to be reminded of how irrelevant the Labour Party has become. That obviously for most people, even on an Oxford bus tour, Ed Balls is the guy off Strictly, not a politician.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Contrary to many perceptions, physical book sales are up, well up - in the USA as well as the UK. It's a bullish market.

I also note, with some personal glee, the fact that those annoying readers are "still demanding" gripping psychological thrillers despite the fact that agents and publishers are "really bored of them".

Heh.

Yup. For both of our sakes, long may it continue. I have to keep reminding my lovely but blinkered consulting friends this. They see books as inefficient. I suggest that books not running out of battery makes them more efficient.

Interestingly, just like streaming increased music sales because people then know they want the object, I frequently sell antiquarian books to people because they've seen a section of it online and now know they want it...
    Leave aside antiquarian books and staying on recently published ones, I now divide my reading into two parts. There are those books, usually non-fiction which require graphs/ maps/diagrams/pictures such books can only be properly read sitting up at a table or desk (and, for me, a notepad and pencils and highlighters to hand). Then there are those that can be read in bed for which an e-reader is ideal, not least because with a bit of ingenuity and a couple of bent coat hangers one need only lift one finger out from under the bedclothes to turn the page.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

isam said:
    I was literally just about to ask about this. It does look very suspicious. If the actual result is as close as this with all four candidates within a point or two of each other I'd be very surprised.
    A fair point. But just think how exciting it would be, if true.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Heh.

Are you planning to write a 'gripping psychological thriller' then? Sorry.... :)
  • Options

F1: Vettel's Ferrari ist kaput.

Prancing Horse looking a little lame.

Afternoon, Mr.D.
    Vettel is back out; he may just have been doing a fuel test and run dry - not unusual in FP.
    Though the Ferrari comments don't necessarily support that.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Heh.

Leave aside antiquarian books and staying on recently published ones, I now divide my reading into two parts. There are those books, usually non-fiction which require graphs/ maps/diagrams/pictures such books can only be properly read sitting up at a table or desk (and, for me, a notepad and pencils and highlighters to hand). Then there are those that can be read in bed for which an e-reader is ideal, not least because with a bit of ingenuity and a couple of bent coat hangers one need only lift one finger out from under the bedclothes to turn the page.
    Is there an ergonomically decent e-reader with decent note taking functions ?
    Essential for non-fiction.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:
    As a non-French speaker I'm following this from a distance but I wouldn't be surprised if the narrative over the last few weeks has been about Melenchon doing well and lo and behold Melenchon comes up in the polls. In 2015 the media narrative was that it was too close to call and the pollsters produced polls that confirmed that view. I wouldn't be surprised if that's happening in France.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

Only if Corbyn is leader. Huge opportunity for Labour if they get a credible leader. The Brexit fallout could be an open goal for them.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Sean_F said:

tlg86 said:

isam said:
    As a non-French speaker I'm following this from a distance but I wouldn't be surprised if the narrative over the last few weeks has been about Melenchon doing well and lo and behold Melenchon comes up in the polls. In 2015 the media narrative was that it was too close to call and the pollsters produced polls that confirmed that view. I wouldn't be surprised if that's happening in France.
    Melenchon's surge started with an excellent first tv debate. Naturally that improved his support, he rose in the polls and people talked about him doing well. On to the second debate in which again he shone, added interest and support and of course people talked about him in the media. Now he has come within striking distance of being in the final two, there will be support from what's left of Hamon's support, who want their vote to count and also from those who want a free hit at the establishment candidates.

• Options
    F1: rumour Red Bull has some upgrades. They *appear* closer, but practice is only that.

Verstappen reportedly fastest on super softs but that must be with heavy fuel.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    BudG said:
    3% or 4% separating the four candidates is amazing - and the margin of error probably means that any two of them could be in the run off.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Heh.

Is there an ergonomically decent e-reader with decent note taking functions ?
    Essential for non-fiction.
    I doubt it, Mr.b., but then I am old and notes get made on paper usually when more than one source is open. I don't know how I could study and make make notes on the same screen. Youngsters might manage but I am buggered if I know how.

I have just had to replace my kindle, the last one died after a long and useful life. I am struggling with the new one with its wretched touch screen and no apparent way of organising books.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    A different view:

• Options

BudG said:
    3% or 4% separating the four candidates is amazing - and the margin of error probably means that any two of them could be in the run off.
    Le Pen's support falling in just about every poll over the past two days and yet her price in the betting remains as solid as ever... amazing!!

Can someone.. anyone (except HYUFD) betting on Le Pen, please explain why or how she is going to win this?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    murali_s said:

Only if Corbyn is leader. Huge opportunity for Labour if they get a credible leader. The Brexit fallout could be an open goal for them.
    I think replacing Corbyn would certainly improve Labours chances, but it would take a couple of years at least to establish electoral credibility.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,664

murali_s said:

I think replacing Corbyn would certainly improve Labours chances, but it would take a couple of years at least to establish electoral credibility.
    Depends how bad Brexit goes.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

murali_s said:

If Corbyn departs, 35% for Labour in 2020 would be a realistic possibility.
  • Options
    BudG said:

BudG said:
    Le Pen's support falling in just about every poll over the past two days and yet her price in the betting remains as solid as ever... amazing!!

Can someone.. anyone (except HYUFD) betting on Le Pen, please explain why or how she is going to win this?
    It is possible that all the polls are systemically wrong (occasionally true, but often the refuge of a losing campaign). If so then we should also ignore any MOE changes. The polls cannot be systematically wrong yet these movements critical.
  • Options

BudG said:
    Indeed, now just suppose it turns out to be Melenchon versus Le Pen. The EU's problems over Brexit would pale into insignificance as France went loopy.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

murali_s said:

Define bad.
  • Options
    Mr. Llama, really? Not sure what Melenchon's views are, but Le Pen just wants to leave the eurozone, and only if that doesn't happen would she countenance a referendum on leaving the EU.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703

A different view:

If that is correct it could be literally any two out of the four. Fillon would need a lucky break on the 2nd decimal point.
  • Options
    BudG said:

BudG said:

She's been in the top two for so long that people assume she'll remain there.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,917
    BudG said:

BudG said:

I think she has a real chance against Fillon. If that is the run-off, it will mean that the centre and the left in France (around 50% of the vote) would feel totally demotivated and excluded from the Second Round contest. That almost inevitably means a low turnout and in those circumstances anything can happen - especially given Le Pen's leftish economic policies. Fillon is a crook in many voters' eyes and I suspect that is more the case the further left you go. He may get some Macron supporters holding their noses in R2, but I cannot see many Communists or Socialists voting for him.

• Options

BudG said:
    Indeed, now just suppose it turns out to be Melenchon versus Le Pen. The EU's problems over Brexit would pale into insignificance as France went loopy.
    The National Assembly would surely block any attempt to leave the EU. But, France would cease to be a major actor within the EU.
  • Options

Mr. Llama, really? Not sure what Melenchon's views are, but Le Pen just wants to leave the eurozone, and only if that doesn't happen would she countenance a referendum on leaving the EU.

Mr. Dancer, have a butcher's at this to give you you a clue:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/04/14/jean-luc-melenchonpromises-no-red-army-tanks-france-wins-presidency/
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,957

Melenchon wants to renegotiate the EU Treaties he is actually more anti EU than Fillon
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited April 2017
    What was it, that some PBers were saying, when Macron was at 1.5 or 1.4? That he was at a great price and on his way towards 1.1. I literally said I thought you were all mad and that a fair price at that time was 2.2. Centrism, the Nordic way, and "I ♥ the EU" - they are not going to be successful selling-points in this election. Coming from a guy who's not even 40, too. Good-looking, but trying to sell calmness, centrism - and the overriding importance of friendship with Germany - as he fidgets.

I doubt that Macron will make it to the last two, but if he does, and his opponent is Mélenchon, I don't even expect Le Pen herself to advocate a vote for the fidgeting pro-Merkel centrist.

Granted, a Dupont-Aignan-gasm now looks extremely unlikely. But the odds were fantastic :)
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD/Mr. Llama, cheers.

Are we sure he's actually a Frenchman?
  • Options
    That said, if the run-off is Le Pen v Melenchon, I wonder what the impact on the National Assembly elections would be. I'm sure neither could win a majority, but there would be some strange results.
  • Options

A different view:

If that is correct it could be literally any two out of the four. Fillon would need a lucky break on the 2nd decimal point.
    If Macron scores low (or LePen) then one or more of the others could be higher. Alternatively Macron could be comfortably ahead and going to have a second round landslide.

On those MOE bars the value bet is Macron to come top in the first round.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    BudG said:

BudG said:

Can someone.. anyone (except HYUFD) betting on Le Pen, please explain why or how she is going ttho win this?
    Le Pen makes the runoff in every poll going and still leads the first round more often than not, that does not mean she will win the runoff of course but if she did against Macron, her likely opponent, it would be by winning a clear majority of Fillon and Dupont Aignan voters and a third of Melenchon voters
  • Options
    justin124 said:

murali_s said:

I doubt it - a repeat of the 2015 result seems more realistic. Throw in some LD gains, though, and all of a sudden you have a hung Parliament.

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,116
    edited April 2017
    justin124 said:

murali_s said:

Since 1980, only one Labour leader has managed to poll 35% or higher in a general election, in which time no fewer than five Labour leaders have fought elections. They will be starting from a low base as well and have their credibility shattered by years of infighting.

You keep saying that Labour has a chance of this, but practically everything tells against it. Labour have no coherent policy position (one of the reasons Corbyn won is because his opponents had no vision or imagination - while Corbyn's agenda is nonsensical it is at least distinctive). They have no significant intellectual or political figures left in their ranks, with the possible exception of Benn. They are faced with a Conservative leadership that is markedly more populist and also markedly less privileged than at any time in the last 25 years. They are also faced with a radical, long term and structural decline in their vote that leaves them vulnerable to pressure on the left as well.

I will say again - Corbyn is a serious problem. But he is not Labour's only problem. Electing him made matters worse, but the suggestion that a four point improvement on their 2015 position under current circumstances is likely with any leader is merely wishful thinking. If they can get back to 33% and hold most of the seats they currently have they will have done very well.
  • Options

A different view:

If Macron scores low (or LePen) then one or more of the others could be higher. Alternatively Macron could be comfortably ahead and going to have a second round landslide.

On those MOE bars the value bet is Macron to come top in the first round.

If Macron does get through the only one who looks like he might give him problems is Melechon, who I imagine would get quite a few Le Pen supporters.

• Options
    I just can't help thinking that Fillon has the most solid support outside of Le Pen. If he gets into the second two, he'll surely win against Le Pen or Melanchon? I'm guessing he'd lose to Macron - but I don't see a Macron/Fillon final round...
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I just can't help thinking that Fillon has the most solid support outside of Le Pen. If he gets into the second two, he'll surely win against Le Pen or Melanchon? I'm guessing he'd lose to Macron - but I don't see a Macron/Fillon final round...

He has a solid 20% or so. Presumably, he'll keep what he gets in R1, but where do the extra votes he needs come from?

• Options
    edited April 2017
    Sean_F said:

That said, if the run-off is Le Pen v Melenchon, I wonder what the impact on the National Assembly elections would be. I'm sure neither could win a majority, but there would be some strange results.

I expect Les Republicains to win most seats in the legislative elections whoever becomes president
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

murali_s said:

Since 1980, only one Labour leader has managed to poll 35% or higher in a general election, in which time no fewer than five Labour leaders have fought elections. They will be starting from a low base as well and have their credibility shattered by years of infighting.

You keep saying that Labour has a chance of this, but practically everything tells against it. Labour have no coherent policy position (one of the reasons Corbyn won is because his opponents had no vision or imagination - while Corbyn's agenda is nonsensical it is at least distinctive). They have no significant intellectual or political figures left in their ranks, with the possible exception of Benn. They are faced with a Conservative leadership that is markedly more populist and also markedly less privileged than at any time in the last 25 years. They are also faced with a radical, long term and structural decline in their vote that leaves them vulnerable to pressure on the left as well.

I will say again - Corbyn is a serious problem. But he is not Labour's only problem. Electing him made matters worse, but the suggestion that a four point improvement on their 2015 position under current circumstances with any leader is merely wishful thinking. If they can get back to 33% and hold most of the seats they currently have they will have done very well.
    Even if Labour did win 35%, the Tories would probably be on 43% or so.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited April 2017
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

If Le Pen or Fillon does become President I would not be surprised to see the National Assembly go left.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Melenchon wants to renegotiate the EU Treaties he is actually more anti EU than Fillon
    Neither would be able to do much without Assembly support, and neither would be likely to command a majority.

A referendum on either the Euro or leaving the EU would be far from nailed on for French Leavers.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

I expect Les Republicains to win most seats in the legislative elections whoever becomes president
    If Macron wins then the 'Sarkozy party' will splinter just as much as the socialists.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    AndyJS said:
    And Macron is odds against!
  • Options

Sean_F said:

If Le Pen or Fillon does become President I would not be surprised to see the National Assembly go left.
    Usually, the National Assembly elections give the President's party a majority, unless they're held in mid-term. I think that would be the case with Fillon, but most unlikely with Le Pen.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    HYUFD said:

BudG said:

BudG said:

Can someone.. anyone (except HYUFD) betting on Le Pen, please explain why or how she is going ttho win this?
    Le Pen makes the runoff in every poll going and still leads the first round more often than not, that does not mean she will win the runoff of course but if she did against Macron, her likely opponent, it would be by winning a clear majority of Fillon and Dupont Aignan voters and a third of Melenchon voters
    LOL.. I said anyone (except HYUFD)!! ;)

She makes the runoff in every poll so far, but the gap between her and third place is down to just 2-3%.

On the one hand you insinuate that 2-3% is enough to get her into the second round and then on the other you try and justify how a 20% gap in the head to head polls is not insurmountable.

Can, even you, think that 7/2 is a fair reflection of her chances of hanging on to get into the runoff and then overturn a 20% gap in the head to head final?

I am not saying she hasn't got a chance, but 7/2??
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,116
    edited April 2017
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

murali_s said:

I will say again - Corbyn is a serious problem. But he is not Labour's only problem. Electing him made matters worse, but the suggestion that a four point improvement on their 2015 position under current circumstances with any leader is merely wishful thinking. If they can get back to 33% and hold most of the seats they currently have they will have done very well.
    That was part of my point, although I didn't spell it out. 40%+ is realistic for the Tories as matters stand if a substantial chunk of the UKIP vote defects to them, although that could of course change quickly if things go sour or May signs off on a soft Brexit after her sabre rattling. But if they manage that, Labour will still be vulnerable to losses even if it improves its own vote share a touch, most probably by squeezing the Greens.

They are in an extremely difficult position and that is quite separate from the fact that their leader makes Keith Joseph look sane and normal and General Melchett look intelligent.
  • Options
    isam said:

AndyJS said:
    Not many of the punters are French though, BF doesn't cover France. Nearly everyone is betting at great distance.
  • Options
    edited April 2017

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

If Macron wins then the 'Sarkozy party' will splinter just as much as the socialists.
    Macron's party is based almost entirely on him and has no Assembly members at the moment, even if Macron wins the presidency En Marche will likely be battling the FN and PS and Melenchon's leftists for second behind a Les Republicains now freed of Fillon
  • Options

A different view:

The error bars would be bell curves, so the probability is that the true measure will be close to the centrepoint.

Anyone know how postal votes work in France? have they gone out yet?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901

isam said:

AndyJS said:
    Not many of the punters are French though, BF doesn't cover France. Nearly everyone is betting at great distance.
    What difference does that make?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

AndyJS said:
    What difference does that make?
    There is not local knowledge in the market. Few of us have read in the original French either. It is harder to pick up the signals.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

murali_s said:

If Labour gets to 35% at the GE it would mean that all current certainties have been turned totally on their heads. It would surely indicate that a very strong desire to get rid of the Tories had gripped the nation, so the LDs may well be getting tactical votes where they had a chance to unseat a Tory MP.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

Macron's party is based almost entirely on him and has no Assembly members at the moment, even if Macron wins the presidency En Marche will likely be battling the FN and PS and Melenchon's leftists for second behind a Les Republicains now freed of Fillon
    Les Republicains are barely more coherent as a party than En Marche. It was Sarkozy's big project to rebrand them as a more solid party but it hasn't worked.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

murali_s said:

I will say again - Corbyn is a serious problem. But he is not Labour's only problem. Electing him made matters worse, but the suggestion that a four point improvement on their 2015 position under current circumstances is likely with any leader is merely wishful thinking. If they can get back to 33% and hold most of the seats they currently have they will have done very well.
    What you say sounds reasonable, but if Labour found a leader attractive to voters in time for the next election, it wouldn't surprise me if many voters decided to give them the benefit of the doubt.

It could be that we'd see "swingback" working in Labour's favour in that case.

Good evening, everyone.
  • Options

kle4 said:

murali_s said:

Define bad.
    I don't know - if whatever deal we get is perceived as being poor, and the 'no deal is better than a bad deal' crowd fail to convince, then May will suffer, as Cameron suffered when he came back with a poor deal. If we are beginning to suffer and it is perceived that May handled things badly, she face consequences against a decent opposition leader, even considering the Corbyn years leading up to them.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

murali_s said:

If Labour gets to 35% at the GE it would mean that all current certainties have been turned totally on their heads. It would surely indicate that a very strong desire to get rid of the Tories had gripped the nation, so the LDs may well be getting tactical votes where they had a chance to unseat a Tory MP.

Historically, when the Labour vote goes up so does the LD's. The two run in tandem.
  • Options
    Good evening, Miss JGP.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

murali_s said:

Historically, when the Labour vote goes up so does the LD's. The two run in tandem.
    Always time for a historical precedent to alter.
  • Options
    BudG said:

HYUFD said:

BudG said:

BudG said:

LOL.. I said anyone (except HYUFD)!! ;)

She makes the runoff in every poll so far, but the gap between her and third place is down to just 2-3%.

On the one hand you insinuate that 2-3% is enough to get her into the second round and then on the other you try and justify how a 20% gap in the head to head polls is not insurmountable.

Can, even you, think that 7/2 is a fair reflection of her chances of hanging on to get into the runoff and then overturn a 20% gap in the head to head final?

I am not saying she hasn't got a chance, but 7/2??
    Given Macron is odds on yes
  • Options
    kle4 said:

murali_s said:

Even after the ERM debacle in 1992 and a new leader in John Smith many did not see a big majority for Labour. It was Blair that put the rocket boosters on Conservatives feeling safe to vote Labour.Even with a terrible Brexit outcome Labour need a leader who can reassure someone like John Smith would give them hope of been the largest party.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    Sean_F said:

I agree. And some strange-looking decisions too, given that not just the top two but also anyone who makes it to 12.5% gets a place in the runoff. If Mélenchon makes it to the Elysée, I wouldn't underestimate his ground game in the general election. Tens of thousands have contributed in the discussions that produced his programme, and many will be fired up. The left will be on a roll.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited April 2017
    SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

SeanT said:

Mortimer said:

Heh.

I think we can also thank a generation of great British children's writers - from J K Rowling to Philip Pullman - plus some brilliant American authors of YA fiction like Twilight and the Hunger Games - who taught kids and teens that they could really enjoy owning and reading books. Actual, physical *books*.

Those kids and teens are now becoming adults, and they still want to own and read books.

Than God, praise be, and Phew!
    I don't think that has anything to do with physical rather than ebooks. Unlike digital music and films via fantastic streaming apps, ebooks and ebook readers are poor, harder to read than the physical equivalent etc etc etc. Basically nobody has really solved replicating the experience of a book via digital, let alone improved it.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

murali_s said:

Yep - I suspect that a 35% score for Labour would indicate the return of the once immensely powerful anti-Tory party.

As things stand, that looks to be a vanishingly small possibility.

• Options

Sean_F said:

ydoethur said:

justin124 said:

murali_s said:

Not in 2010 or 1983
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

kle4 said:

murali_s said:

Even after the ERM debacle in 1992 and a new leader in John Smith many did not see a big majority for Labour. It was Blair that put the rocket boosters on Conservatives feeling safe to vote Labour.Even with a terrible Brexit outcome Labour need a leader who can reassure someone like John Smith would give them hope of been the largest party.
    I didn't say they'd win, just that they might regain electoral credibility faster than is thought, in the right circumstances. Regaining credibility to the point of winning is, given the hurdles they face, unlikely, but there is still an opportunity for them - the accepted wisdom is if things do not change the Tories might lose some seats to the LDs, but gain a larger number from Labour. If Labour regained credibility faster than thought, with a new Leader and a poor Brexit deal hitting the Tories, even with all their other problems it is possible, though perhaps not likely, that they could deprive the Tories of a majority.
This discussion has been closed.