Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tories take a stonking 21% lead with ComRes poll, up 4% in mon

SystemSystem Posts: 11,002
edited April 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tories take a stonking 21% lead with ComRes poll, up 4% in month

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609

Andrew Hawkins‏ @Andrew_ComRes

New ComRes poll for Independent/S Mirror: Con 46(+4) Lab 25(-) Lib D 11(-1) UKIP 9(-1)

+4? Where'd that come from? It's been pretty regular positive and crappy news lately.

That Labour floor of 25 is still really solid looking though. #silver linings
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Where did my First go?
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Tim Farron would say we don't need a new centre ground party, we already have one.

But yep, Labour cannot fall any further, bar the occasional percent, that's clear - We've reached peak Corbyn toxification, and 1 in 4 of the electorate love him or love Labour so much they don't care about him.

It's funny that a 9% deficit to the Tories is the good news story.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    edited April 2017
    Labour should split. MPs who aren't insane should form a new party. They could probably get the likes of Clarke and Soubry on board.

Corbyn's not good for democracy. Imagine he's there in 2020. The election night results show would be the modern equivalent of listening to Murray Walker commentate on the Battle of Cannae.

Edited extra bit: to paraphrase the man himself - "There's nothing wrong with Labour, except that it's on fire."
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited April 2017
    +fourth.

If association with Corbyn appears to have little impact, there's little point in changing the party leader, looks as though it is the Labour brand that's tarnished.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

New ComRes poll for Independent/S Mirror: Con 46(+4) Lab 25(-) Lib D 11(-1) UKIP 9(-1)

+4? Where'd that come from? It's been pretty regular positive and crappy news lately.

Con 46% (+4)
    Lab 25% (NC)
    LD 11% (-1)
    UKIP 9% (-1)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    Green 4% (NC)
    Other 2% (NC)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,946
    edited April 2017
    ComRes managed to find all the those Tories who hadn't gone on skiing holidays!
  • Options

kle4 said:

Con 46% (+4)
    Lab 25% (NC)
    LD 11% (-1)
    UKIP 9% (-1)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    Green 4% (NC)
    Other 2% (NC)
    I meant why would there be such a big shift in their favour now? Nothing that remarkable has been occurring.
  • Options
    It's funny, as Corbyn has announced some policies lately that, on the face of it, don't seem instantly terrible.
  • Options
    When I got the email from ComRes, I had to ask that they hadn't made a typo
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Con 46% (+4)
    Lab 25% (NC)
    LD 11% (-1)
    UKIP 9% (-1)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    Green 4% (NC)
    Other 2% (NC)
    I meant why would there be such a big shift in their favour now? Nothing that remarkable has been occurring.
    I think the Tory lead is in the 15%-18% and this is one of those outliers.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    edited April 2017
    I wonder how much of that 25% is in London and Manchester?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Tim Farron would say we don't need a new centre ground party, we already have one.

Which makes the LD figure depressing for them - even their own supporters aren't fans of Liberal Democrat policies, they are just waiting for a better alternative.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,283
    “Compared to all his critics, Jeremy Corbyn is worth about 18-20 percentage points to Labour’s vote. Without him, and led by any one of his vocal critics, we could easily be languishing in single digits in polls,”.

A contender for the Rab C Nesbit Thicker than Mince Award.
  • Options
    F1: just idly browsing, but Red Bull are back up to 30 for the Constructors'. I'd be tempted to put on a small sum but already did so at 46.

They seem to have narrowed the gap somewhat here, and they suffer even more than Ferrari relative to Mercedes in qualifying.

Still odds against but there is a real chance the odds will decline to layable levels in a few races.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

21. lol

I'm not sure I agree 25 is the floor for Labour. Remember this is midterm, when the opposition it at its strongest (stop laughing at the back).

Under the sustained assault of an election campaign, and with Corbyn prone to weird angry outbursts and simple, calamitous errors, alongside the poisonous Labour Left backstory of anti-Semitism, Islamism and Irish terrorism, I can see lifelong Labour voters abstaining, even if they express support now.

Labour could go down to 20, or below.

Remember, Labour once dominated Scotland. They were impregnable. Today they are on ten percent - yes, a subsample, but still. TEN PERCENT. They're dead, north of the border. There is no law that says they must nonetheless survive south of the border.

Someone replaced them north of the border. Despite the suddenness of the end, when it came, the signs were there it might happen. There is no sign of that in England.
  • Options
    People a bit split on Boris I see. I still think a figure like him is better suited in more junior positions, like Culture Secretary.
  • Options
    Mr. kle4, I agree. Boris is not credible as Foreign Secretary.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

People a bit split on Boris I see. I still think a figure like him is better suited in more junior positions, like Culture Secretary.

Someone at ComRes pointed out something interesting about that finding.

The Tories are polling 46% but only 32% of voters disagree that he's a hindrance as Foreign Secretary.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It's funny, as Corbyn has announced some policies lately that, on the face of it, don't seem instantly terrible.

Taxing independent schools to give free meals to middle class kids, was not exactly a brilliant idea and reeked of good old 1970s class war. However, I'm at a loss as to why the polls have shifted to the blue team. A steady ship and the usual Boris gaff does not account for this imo.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    Some of the campaigning for the local elections will surely make a small difference to Westminster voting intention? Is this a sign that the blues will do even better than predicted on 4th May?
  • Options
    Can you all pray that nothing major happens tonight, because I've written the morning thread and I'm busy for the rest of the evening.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,299
    kle4 said:

Yep.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    F1: Giovinazzi is evens with Ladbrokes not to be classified.

This seems quite tempting, as he is unlikely to finish the race due to not starting it.

Edited extra bit: 99% chance it'll be null and void, though.
  • Options
    I remain at something of a loss with the Tory score - their support is satisfied, and discontent with others is high, in the 40s just seems plausible, but approaching 50?
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    From the last Labour members poll:

If Labour fall 20% behind in the opinion polls.
    41% Jeremy should continue as leader
    47% Jeremy should not continue as leader
    12% Don't Know
  • Options
    Fat_SteveFat_Steve Posts: 361
    kle4 said:

Is it possible that Corbyn has reached the point where anything at all that reminds people he exists and is Labour leader, is bad for the Labour party?
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

kle4 said:

Con 46% (+4)
    Lab 25% (NC)
    LD 11% (-1)
    UKIP 9% (-1)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    Green 4% (NC)
    Other 2% (NC)
    I thought it would be interesting to see what the vote calculus website would predict on those numbers. But the site just spat out an error message, seems they cant handle swings that be!!!

but if you bring the con vote down to 45% then it predicts an 148 seat tory majority! LOL
  • Options
    Artist said:

From the last Labour members poll:

If Labour fall 20% behind in the opinion polls.
    41% Jeremy should continue as leader
    47% Jeremy should not continue as leader
    12% Don't Know

Jesus Christ you 41% - even if everything that has been thrown at him is unfair, if you fall below 20%, surely for his own sake you need to stop this?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    I have never really trusted Comres and these findings rather reinforce my scepticism. It is perhaps worth recalling that almost 18 months ago - in November 2015 - Comres was giving the Tories a 15% lead when other pollsters had the lead in single figures.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Raising the minimum wage and free school meals are a bit like asking would everyone like an ice cream?

Of course almost everyone is going to say Yes.

But many, many people saying Yes will be highly sceptical as to whether the policy could actually be carried out in practice.

So support for the policy will not translate into support for Labour.

In any case people don't vote for policies - they vote on general impression of a Party and its leader.
  • Options
    Fat_Steve said:

kle4 said:

Is it possible that Corbyn has reached the point where anything at all that reminds people he exists and is Labour leader, is bad for the Labour party?
    Parhaps it's not just Jeremy that is the turn off for voters, but the whole front team...

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C3RM4DCXAAEieba.jpg
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

Labour should split. MPs who aren't insane should form a new party. They could probably get the likes of Clarke and Soubry on board.

Corbyn's not good for democracy. Imagine he's there in 2020. The election night results show would be the modern equivalent of listening to Murray Walker commentate on the Battle of Cannae.

Edited extra bit: to paraphrase the man himself - "There's nothing wrong with Labour, except that it's on fire."

Given the reality of FPTP, this would I'm afraid be a suicide pact unless Greens, UKIP, Labour, Lib Dems, SNP form a progressive alliance in support of PR. They then have to agree, e.g. for Greens not to stand in Bath, because this probably denied Lib.Dems the seat in 2015, plus more horse-trading based on who has the best chance in each of 100s of different marginal seats.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

I have never really trusted Comres and these findings rather reinforce my scepticism. It is perhaps worth recalling that almost 18 months ago - in November 2015 - Comres was giving the Tories a 15% lead when other pollsters had the lead in single figures.

I'm sure it's at the far reaches of the range of Tory support, but that the range of plausible numbers includes this is just bloody sad for Labour now. Gorton cannot come soon enough for them (even though it is rock solid safe anyway).
  • Options
    Mr. Voter, disagree. That is the state for minnows, but over 80% of the PLP signed a pact saying they had no confidence in Corbyn. If they formed a new party they'd not only have massive publicity, and short money, but become the official opposition. They'd start off with well over a hundred MPs.
  • Options
    Better hope no other Labour MPs take new jobs anytime soon - they're not George Osborne, and I doubt any more by-elections are wanted.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,108

I wonder how much of that 25% is in London and Manchester?

I wonder how much of it is not.
  • Options

Mr. Voter, disagree. That is the state for minnows, but over 80% of the PLP signed a pact saying they had no confidence in Corbyn. If they formed a new party they'd not only have massive publicity, and short money, but become the official opposition. They'd start off with well over a hundred MPs.

But the thing that connects them is the Labour brand - they will never abandon it by forming a new group, it would destroy them.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    I notice the thread leader rejoices in "stonking".

What has PB come to ? .... next we'll all be wearing red shoes when we post !!!!
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,560
    Is the ComRes poll the first one ever with Con>Lab+LD+UKIP?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,108
    Do I believe that the Tories are on 46%? Not really. Do I believe Labour are "only" 9% behind? Certainly not. Labour are spiralling the drain. Just as well there is not a fairly major set of elections soon, eh?
  • Options
    In February 2016 the Online Comres poll came up with a Tory lead of 14% which compared with leads of 7% from both ICM and Yougov - 6% from Mori. They stopped conducting polls for many months post Referendum because they suspected there was something amiss with their methodology. Eventually they decided hey had been right all the time - but I am far from convinced. Somebody christened the outfit -'Comedy'Polls!
  • Options
    JackW said:

What has PB come to ? .... next we'll all be wearing red shoes when we post !!!!

In these new times additional superlatives are required to adequately describe the situations we find ourselves in.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748
    kle4 said:

But the thing that connects them is the Labour brand - they will never abandon it by forming a new group, it would destroy them.
    Wasn't there an idea that they could coalesce under the co-op banner?

I can't imagine any Tories wanting to join any breakaway. They're in seats which may benefit from 46% support across the country after all.
  • Options
    Oh, and nice MOAB reference.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,232
    edited April 2017
    With this ComRes poll the Tories have a 36% lead in the Midlands and a 46% lead with the over 65s.

We are talking about an ELE.

Edit: And a 1% Con lead in the North.
  • Options
    F1: still waiting for more markets to wake up. I do think the first corner will be rather tasty.

Mr. kle4, that's true. And the problem.

They're devoted to a brand, to merchandising, to the sign above the shop.

Another side-effect of what happens when you conflate politics with morality.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    kle4 said:

JackW said:

In these new times additional superlatives are required to adequately describe the situations we find ourselves in.
    Stupendous reply.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    In Wales Cons lead Labour by 37 to 21 - scarcely believe
  • Options
    JSpringJSpring Posts: 96
    In policy terms the Labour Party is no more left-wing than it was under Miliband (i.e. it's still promoting the mushy soft Keynesian stuff as opposed to genuinely hard left-wing policies) and barely more so than it was under Brown and Blair. In other words, it's still a fairly
    "centre ground" (a meaningless term at the best of times, but whatever) party. The real issue is that Corbyn isn't particularly good at politics.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

kle4 said:

Wasn't there an idea that they could coalesce under the co-op banner?
    But it would still be an open civil war in Labour, Co-Op or not. They have moaned, they have openly declared that he should go, but there seems not the slightest hint other than the imagination of Tim Farron that any of them are seriously considering defecting to someone else or actually formally opposing the official Labour party, even if it would be as a 'we're the real labour party, honest' co-op type situation.

No, it seems like MPs have made the calculation that the Labour floor is sufficient to see them survive as a party, and that if the polls are borne out, they can regroup afterward, however painful that may be. Better that than oppose the party by formally opposing Corbyn.

It's not without risk, but it handily means they don't have to take that plunge themselves either.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Don't read too much into a sub-sample of 95
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    marke09 said:

I'll go further - I don't believe it. Subsamples and all that.

I believe that pollsters re simply finding it hard to tempt out shy labour voters now.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    I am not suggesting that Opinium are bang on either in their findings but I rate them far above Comres who come in at the bottom of the heap as pollsters go - despite the fact that they can occasionally be accurate.
  • Options

With this ComRes poll the Tories have a 36% lead in the Midlands and a 46% lead with the over 65s.

We are talking about an ELE.

Edit: And a 1% Con lead in the North.

a 1% lead in the North is a swing Lab-Con of 8%, a 36% lead in the Midlands a swing Lab-Con of 14.5%
  • Options
    I long for the day that perhaps NI MPs could be counted toward the total as maybe they will split along the lines everyone else does. But that's a pipe dream, obviously. Irish unification and Liverpool letting The Sun thing go are more likely.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, extinction level event? Erotic legume experience? Elephantine love eruption?
  • Options
    JackW said:

Sorry Jack, I'm showing off my working class Northern roots.

Plus Corbyn is crap doesn't quite cover the majesty of a 21% Tory lead.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,946
    JackW said:

kle4 said:

JackW said:

Stupendous reply.
    I think a stiff lawyer's letter should sort this out..

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/853293206129135617
  • Options
    As an aside, the Make Me Your Master referendum in Turkey happens tomorrow, I think. I for one fully support 12 year presidential terms, with the new God-King able to dismiss the prime ministers and dissolve Parliament. It's the epitome of democracy, and any journalists who say otherwise will be thrown in the sea.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

They'd better approach that nice Mr. Farron and ask what the fee would be for the name 'Social Democrat Party'.

If they plan to take over the Lib.Dems and draw in Wollaston, Soubry, Clarke and Lords Heseltine, Deben, Patten, etc it would have to be the Centre Party. That is overambitious. Most of the Labour 'homeless' are moderate centre-left, the mirror image of moderate centre-right people like Patten.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, extinction level event? Erotic legume experience? Elephantine love eruption?

Extinction Level Election.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,299

JackW said:

kle4 said:

JackW said:

Stupendous reply.
    I think a stiff lawyer's letter should sort this out..

https://twitter.com/AFP/status/853293206129135617
    Sad. She used to have a raw egg and a cooked egg every day.
  • Options

Elephantine love eruption?

Good name for a rock band.
  • Options
    Betting Post

Backed Vettel to win at 5 on Betfair, hedged at evens.

May offer another tip, unsure. But thought I'd mention this now.
  • Options
    Looks like the Corbynites are now believing the polls are true.

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/853299016456646656
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Oh, and nice MOAB reference.

Glad someone spotted yet another one of my subtle puns.
  • Options

Obviously.

In all honesty, there are plenty of reasons to be wary of entrusting too much to polling of course, but we inherently tend to take it in nevertheless. But when people dismiss it all as lies (brainwashing the public to a state akin to stockholm syndrome or mafia kidnapping according to comments I saw today), you know for a fact when things turn in their favour they'll be the first to trumpet that to the hills and beyond.
  • Options
    Having briefly looked at the Comres tables , I suspect that the effect of their Turnout Adjustments has been to generate garbage.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Matt Singh speaks on the difference between today's polls:

https://www.ncpolitics.uk/2017/04/is-the-conservative-lead-21-points-or-9-points.html/
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    Corbyn & Co could learn much from Jim's farewell speech - they seem intent on making many of the same mistakes at a national level !!

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/06/15/jim-murphy-farewell-speech-snp-referendum_n_7585574.html?utm_hp_ref=jim-murphy

" He urged them to remember the “first law of politics”: “Voters never get it wrong.”

“When you lose on the scale that we did this year then some reflection is needed,” he said. “If you decide to blame the voters, you’re wrong.

“To wrest power from a Tory majority, Labour must do what it has always done when it wins a majority - win Tory seats by winning Tory votes. ”
  • Options
    Mr. Calum, I think you're expecting a degree of intellectual agility from Corbyn and McDonnell not necessarily in keeping with their behavioural habits.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,834
    Probably a holiday season outlier, but WOW!!!

When was a 21% lead last seen, sometime in the mid nineties under Blair?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Dave achieved a 28% lead in 2008.
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, nope. Brown's Labour hit 19% at one point. There was one poll, when Cameron was in opposition around 2008, indicating a 150-200 seat Conservative majority.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,814
    Interestingly, if, in 2015, you'd taken the highest Conservative score from all of the "final call" polls, married it up with the lowest Labour score from all of them and the average Lib Dem and UKIP scores, you'd have been pretty close. It would have been Con 36, Lab 31, LD 9, UKIP 13 as against Con 37.7, Lab 31.1, LD 8, UKIP 12.9.

Of course, methodologies have changed. But it's striking nonetheless.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894

Matt Singh speaks on the difference between today's polls:

https://www.ncpolitics.uk/2017/04/is-the-conservative-lead-21-points-or-9-points.html/

Neither.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    calum said:

Corbyn & Co could learn much from Jim's farewell speech - they seem intent on making many of the same mistakes at a national level !!

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2015/06/15/jim-murphy-farewell-speech-snp-referendum_n_7585574.html?utm_hp_ref=jim-murphy

" He urged them to remember the “first law of politics”: “Voters never get it wrong.”

“When you lose on the scale that we did this year then some reflection is needed,” he said. “If you decide to blame the voters, you’re wrong.

“To wrest power from a Tory majority, Labour must do what it has always done when it wins a majority - win Tory seats by winning Tory votes. ”

Chanting "Tory scum" and all the spitting etc, is not very appealing to Tory voters, not the way to win them over.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Labour had a 23% in late April 2002. Leads of 25% to 40% were normal throughout the 1997 - 1999 period.
  • Options
    Mr. Jayfdee, see similar things on Twitter. Regular, casual abuse of the Conservatives (or Leave...) and then astonishment the Enemy won.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

ComRes managed to find all the those Tories who hadn't gone on skiing holidays!

Recently we have been seeing the tories doing better with D/E social groups and (relatively) worse with A/B, I wonder if things are the other way round now where Labour and libdems are the ones being under represented during holidays.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    edited April 2017
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

21. lol

I'm not sure I agree 25 is the floor for Labour. Remember this is midterm, when the opposition it at its strongest (stop laughing at the back).

Under the sustained assault of

Remember, Labour once dominated Scotland. They were impregnable. Today they are on ten percent - yes, a subsample, but still. TEN PERCENT. They're dead, north of the border. There is no law that says they must nonetheless survive south of the border.

Someone replaced them north of the border. Despite the suddenness of the end, when it came, the signs were there it might happen. There is no sign of that in England.
    Yes, that's the only thing saving them - especially UKIP being so utterly shite. But the LDs, Greens and UKIP could still nibble away, taking them down to 20.

That said, if they can make it through 2020 without being totally annihilated, then find a decent new leader, they will surely recover. But without Scotland (which seems permanently lost) a Labour majority is always going to be very hard to achieve, from now on.
    Labour won a majority of seats in England and Wales in 1945, 1950, 1966, October 1974, 1997, 2001 and 2005 so even without many seats in Scotland with a credible leader they could achieve it
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    LDs flatlining on 11% is really rather remarkable.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

LDs flatlining on 11% is really rather remarkable.

The Lib Dems are not flat lining, they are just advancing very, very slowly…!
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    LOLabour
  • Options
    Still several markets not up, but my eyes are going fuzzy, so I'm off. I'll post the pre-race article tomorrow (in case anyone missed it, below I tipped Vettel at 5 on Betfair, hedged at evens).

• Options
    Lib Dems make serious gains in Manchester Gorton byelection

The contest on 4 May has so far seen Lib Dems zoom from 4.2% of vote in 2015 to 31% because of issues around Brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/15/lib-dems-make-serious-gains-in-manchester-gorton-byelection?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
  • Options
    /Abbott on / imagine how bad it would be without Jezza / Abbott off / (her head)
  • Options

Can you all pray that nothing major happens tonight, because I've written the morning thread and I'm busy for the rest of the evening.

Good job all is quiet in the world then

oh

:-)
  • Options

Betting Post

That's a pretty good call, I'll follow you in at 5. Ferrari have a better race setup and Mercedes turn their engines up a lot in qualifying.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/PeoplesMomentum/status/853299016456646656

LOL! Given that every one of the announcements was of more public spending without proper costing, are we surprised that people are in favour?
  • Options

The contest on 4 May has so far seen Lib Dems zoom from 4.2% of vote in 2015 to 31% because of issues around Brexit

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/15/lib-dems-make-serious-gains-in-manchester-gorton-byelection?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

The LibDem claim implies that the Tories , Greens, UKIP and Galloway will only manage15% - 18% in total. How likely is that?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935

Same polling has Labour on 51% in Gorton
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    justin124 said:

The LibDem claim implies that the Tories , Greens, UKIP and Galloway will only manage15% - 18% in total. How likely is that?
    Probably hard to predict the Galloway score. I find it harder to believe that the LDs would rise as high as 31% with Lab dropping only to 51%, leaving so little for eceryone else.

One thing's for sure, they are playing it safe with their expectations management - I guess having pulled off Richmond, it's worth stoking the optimism.

• Options

Sandpit said:

Dave achieved a 28% lead in 2008.
    Ah yes, when Broon bottled calling an election that everybody expected.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    Sandpit said:

Betting Post

That's a pretty good call, I'll follow you in at 5. Ferrari have a better race setup and Mercedes turn their engines up a lot in qualifying.
    I'm already on that for reasons (very briefly) outlined on Mr Dancer's blog
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    HYUFD said:

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

21. lol

Under the sustained assault of

Yes, that's the only thing saving them - especially UKIP being so utterly shite. But the LDs, Greens and UKIP could still nibble away, taking them down to 20.

That said, if they can make it through 2020 without being totally annihilated, then find a decent new leader, they will surely recover. But without Scotland (which seems permanently lost) a Labour majority is always going to be very hard to achieve, from now on.
    Labour won a majority of seats in England and Wales in 1945, 1950, 1966, October 1974, 1997, 2001 and 2005 so even without many seats in Scotland with a credible leader they could achieve it
    The number of MPs is going to be reduced from 650 to 600 next year, Wales will be hardest hit going from 40 MPs down to 21.
    With the boundary changes Labour would lose a total of 29 seats, the Tories only 12 based on 2005 results.
    If Labour can't win in Scotland and the Tories can now win some seats there, Labour might never win a General Election again.
    I think their floor is about 15%, Corbyn might be ousted in May next year if Labour lose a large number of London council seats.

• Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,701
    justin124 said:

In Richmond LibDem/Zac got 95% of the vote between them.
This discussion has been closed.