Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Was this the reason for TMay’s election decision?

Comments

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    surbiton said:

John Curtice: "I believed the Prime Minister. Maybe I was a fool to do so."

A sentiment that is bound to grow.

She is a lying b**ch.
    oh dear.. did I hear you complaing when Blair lieed and lied as did Brown.

You are just as bad as the resident LD misery/.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,029

Not really. The opposition won't be able to make anything of it unless they oppose the government tomorrow, which apparently they aren't going to do, and unless the opposition remind them, the public won't notice.
    Not just on this issue specifically, but we now have cast-iron proof that her word cannot be trusted and she'll change her mind on a whim just for tactical advantage.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Danny565 said:

https://twitter.com/jonkay01/status/854300093142511621
    Ham actress reading a script. Fake news.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited April 2017
    RobD said:

I'm almost disappointed we won't find out of Corbyn becomes interim PM in the event of a no confidence vote.

Its ok you only have to wait a few weeks until Jezza gets the gig full time....no sniggering at the back....
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2017
    Obviously Corbyn's Labour would get thrashed - but WHAT IF Labour get a new leader within days? Against May who's potentially just torpedoed her own USP of "serious stateswoman putting country ahead of party games".
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

On another point, what is the state of the parties' finances? Will they be able to finance a GE battle (e.g. to the 2015 level)?

Labour and Lib Dems healthy
    UKIP bankrupt
    Conservatives poor but will have no problem raising the necessary finances to fight a strong campaign
    Thanks. I'm surprised by that. I thought that Labour's finances were poorish, and the Conservatives' were good. But I'll bow to superior knowledge.

Labour have been getting Short money.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    I'm expecting that UNS will be of limited assistance. I can imagine the Conservatives taking Bassetlaw but failing to take Tooting.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited April 2017

I'm expecting that UNS will be of limited assistance. I can imagine the Conservatives taking Bassetlaw but failing to take Tooting.

Equally, it's conceivable Labour could pick up one or two ultra-Remain metropolitan Tory seats (Cardiff North? Bristol North West?) while losing ultra-safe seats in the North East (in a neat bit of symmetry, I think Durham NW which May contested in 1992 could potentially go blue this time with Corbyn).
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    SeanT said:

When Labour suffer a mauling on May 4th and June 8th, can we really be sure that Corbyn will go?

Might he try to stay on? I can't see it, but he's proved rather hard to shift so far.

On TV he came across as a man relieved, more than anything else. He clearly doesn't like the job that much, and this early election will give him an excuse to retire with "honour".

He fought the good fight, and he failed. That's emotionally different to being kicked out by the bastards in your own party.
    He never expected to have the job in the first place. That's one reason why I'd like to hear opinions on his route from here to No. 10 and becoming PM.

I really hope it doesn't happen but .....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    You forgot "despite brexit" :smiley:
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Why am I praying [ as an aethist does ] that Labour gets smashed enough so that the Moron and his gang are done for good ?

I would even be prepared to watch Diane Abbott rake in even more money in TW.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921
    DavidL said:

Y0kel said:

Just exactly where are all the Conservative gains going to be?

I see the polls but I just cant see on current boundaries where they are going to pick up 20 or 30 net gains.

There is a list of 50 here: http://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/gainloss.html
    That would be dire for the Lib Dems: no net gains.

I can really see Cambridge going back to the Lib Dems; then again, I got that one wrong in 2015 as well ... ;)
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966

I see the usual 'progressive alliance' calls are going up.

Good luck with that.

Some smug SNP prat on the BBC earlier saying 'sorry we can't stand in England, too, folks."

Yeah, Sturgeon would go down a treat in Maidenhead wouldn't she?

Twit.

Hey, we let the English Independence Party stand in Scotland.

For all the good it did them.
  • Options

a non evidence based assumption
  • Options

You mean people like liars.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Not really. The opposition won't be able to make anything of it unless they oppose the government tomorrow, which apparently they aren't going to do, and unless the opposition remind them, the public won't notice.
    Not just on this issue specifically, but we now have cast-iron proof that her word cannot be trusted and she'll change her mind on a whim just for tactical advantage.
    Um... changing your mind on a whim is pretty much the essence of tactics, isn't it?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I do like the British tradition of short, sharp and sometimes totally unexpected General Election campaigns.

It would be nice after this one not to be having more regular GE's than Belgium.....
  • Options

DavidL said:

Y0kel said:

I see the polls but I just cant see on current boundaries where they are going to pick up 20 or 30 net gains.

That would be dire for the Lib Dems: no net gains.

I can really see Cambridge going back to the Lib Dems; then again, I got that one wrong in 2015 as well ... ;)
    They will win quite a few in SW England and SW London. Possibly also Rochdale, Hampstead etc.
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

She is a lying b**ch.
    she may be a lying bitch, but the alternative is Prime Minister Jeremy Corbyn.

I predict she will get a majority between 60 and 100. Not an overwhelming landslide, but pretty damn emphatic.
    That's going to be an interesting betting market. What odds of a Tory majority 100+? 10/1? Better?
  • Options
    I was calling an early election last year - wasn't sure if Nov or May and in the end its just slipped into June. Either way May would have had to have been Diane Abbott levels of stupid not to go to the country.

Note that it takes another 2 months out of Brexit negotiations / Great Repeal Act which makes me think even more that the "negotiation" will be "Hello EFTA can we come back please"

As for next Labour Leader, if Balls gets a seat it'll be him. If he doesn't it'll be Starmer. Could argue it should be Starmer anyway as the *only* issue of interest after the election will be Brexit. Either way, won't be Corbyn. Woohoo!!!!
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Could Blair stand?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

The SNP prefer non evidence to official data e.g. GERS.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Animal_pb said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

She is a lying b**ch.

I predict she will get a majority between 60 and 100. Not an overwhelming landslide, but pretty damn emphatic.
    That's going to be an interesting betting market. What odds of a Tory majority 100+? 10/1? Better?
    I'll have £200 on that if you're offering.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Danny565 said:

Equally, it's conceivable Labour could pick up one or two ultra-Remain metropolitan Tory seats (Cardiff North? Bristol North West?) while losing ultra-safe seats in the North East (in a neat bit of symmetry, I think Durham NW which May contested in 1992 could potentially go blue this time with Corbyn).
    I am very doubtful that Labour is going to be gaining any seats this time, though I understand your logic. I can't see angry Remainers trooping out to vote for Jeremy Corbyn. Why would they?

The Conservatives are going to go through Labour seats outside London and the metropolitan north west like a combine harvester.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Could Blair stand?

For the Lib Dems?
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    First 'snap' GE since October 1974?
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    If May refuses to have a head to head debate with Corbyn she must be crap at them.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

She is a lying b**ch.

Labour's problem is not this election, that's past praying for. Their problem is that they are at serious risk of being in a position where they could gain 100 seats in 2022 and still not even be the largest party. Doesn't encourage what talent there is to hang around (or come back).
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    surbiton said:

Why am I praying [ as an aethist does ] that Labour gets smashed enough so that the Moron and his gang are done for good ?

Simples - because it is the only way to rid Labour of Corbyn and his army of far left loons.
    Only then can Labour move on and become a viable opposition party once more.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

She is a lying b**ch.
    If no-one thinks Corbyn could be PM in a month of Sundays, the question becomes, "Do you want Theresa May to be an elected dictator?" A lot of people will say no, no matter how hopeless the opposition is.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,694
    edited April 2017
    Impressively rapid Wikipedia article on the 2017 General Election, including polling data table
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    However, Hard Brexiters should not be too excited. Big compromises are coming up which they will not like.

Regardless of what she says in the campaign, she can go back on her word.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

You mean people like liars.
    no. just that you have no evidence to back up your assumption.

Live with it. Labour will get thumped whatever you say on PB.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Impressively rapid Wikipedia article on the 2017 General Election, including polling data table

That's been there a while!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Yorkcity said:

If May refuses to have a head to head debate with Corbyn she must be crap at them.

Shudders.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    Rather a give away from the Guardian!

First this: Jess Phillips, the MP for Birmingham Yardley, said: “I’m still a bit in shock.."

Then later in the same article: In private, a number of senior Labour MPs said they were very worried. One MP said she was in complete shock and felt sick thinking of colleagues at risk of losing their seats in the Midlands.

Clearly Ms Phillips wanted the second bit, predicting imminent local losses for her party, to be 'off the record'. But with the Guardian's "she", reference to the Midlands, and repeat of the word "shock" I don't think we need to trouble Sherlock Holmes with this one....
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited April 2017
    Some of us have been saying for a while that May would go for it.
    The bet was that Corbyn would have to agree.
    Ed Balls is well placed---clever, likeable, untarred, and, hopefully, freshly energised and no longer hors de combat, a fitter wiser fellow.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

General elections give me the horn.

There I said it and I'm proud to say it.

Isn't that a tautology
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I do like the British tradition of short, sharp and sometimes totally unexpected General Election campaigns.

It would be nice after this one not to be having more regular GE's than Belgium.....
    Yeah, after this I'll be done with politics, for a while. No more referendums or elex til the early 2020s, ta v much.
    Don't know about you, but as also a self employed person, all this is terrible for my output...good job you got your latest book out of the way just in time.
  • Options

First 'snap' GE since October 1974?

Who governs Britain? With two choices:

- Not EU.
    - Not you.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419

Also, I can't believe that so many want Ed Balls to be Labour leader (for reasons that they think he'll genuinely be a good leader). I remember years ago he was seen as utterly toxic by many on here and Yvette Cooper was seen as far more electable than him. Personally, I'd like Keir Starmer to be the next Labour leader.

Just saying.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/06/26/might-balls-be-labours-answer-at-1001/
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Blue_rog said:

Could Blair stand?

Trial?
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830

If Corbyn doesn't resign (and he's that kind of person to hold on) he'll be challenged and lose that way. Corbyn's support is already down, a reality check GE should knock some sense into the rest of the people who support him.

Well that didn't work in 2015...
    It didn't work out because MPs such as Beckett were stupid enough to lend their votes to nominating Corbyn in order to have a 'wide political debate/represent all views.' That's unlikely to happen again.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Remember Richmond Park. Some of the leafy posho bits of England that have voted Tory may switch to cuddly hummus-loving LD europhiles this time.

Maybe, but I expect Richmond Park itself will go back to the Conservatives.
  • Options

Likewise !!!!
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,921

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

She is a lying b**ch.
    If no-one thinks Corbyn could be PM in a month of Sundays, the question becomes, "Do you want Theresa May to be an elected dictator?" A lot of people will say no, no matter how hopeless the opposition is.
    The question doesn't become that, in the same way it didn't in 1997 when Tony Blair romped home.
  • Options

Likewise !!!!
    Thirded :p
  • Options
    surbiton said:

What will happen with the coming by-election?

Wikipedia says by-elections have been cancelled in similar circumstances before, but not since 1924 - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_by-election_records#Countermanded_Poll

Darlington 1983. Ossie O'Brian. Who can forget that ?

That by-election took place in March, before the 1983 election was called, so is not really relevant to my question.

Is there any precedent more recent than 1924 for cancelling a by-election? Who, if anyone, has legal authority to make that decision?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    DavidL said:

Y0kel said:

All great but that assumes a swing that is universal, which is unlikely and that the Conservatives hold on to everything they got, unlikely. I think they'd genuinely do well to get themselves to 30-35 majority. Despite the fact there is no credible opposition leader, with two Mr Weedy's in charge, there is a limit to potential, a point where votes simply will stop stacking up in the right place.

Anything above 35 majority is a terrific result.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    The interesting thing here is that Corbyn must have known.
  • Options
    May, Corbyn, Farron debate special....lower ratings than the latest series of Top Gear....
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

I see the usual 'progressive alliance' calls are going up.

Good luck with that.

Some smug SNP prat on the BBC earlier saying 'sorry we can't stand in England, too, folks."
    What's stopping them?
  • Options

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

She is a lying b**ch.
    The question doesn't become that, in the same way it didn't in 1997 when Tony Blair romped home.
    Blair fought 1997 from opposition, not from government, and even quite late on they were paranoid they could lose.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Remember Richmond Park. Some of the leafy posho bits of England that have voted Tory may switch to cuddly hummus-loving LD europhiles this time.

The dislike of Corbyn will be greater than the 'desire' for the lib dems.

How's their mansion tax policy these days?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Holy crap what have I missed!

It's been a busy news week so far, hasn't it? And that's before a nuclear war in Korea.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Roger said:

Looking ahead and on the bright side.

1. Corbyn will be a footnote by the evening of June 8th when he's certain to resign.

2.. The election will be 100% about Brexit

3. The Lib Dems being the only party against Brexit are likely to have their best result for decades

4. May will be able to sack Johnson and Fox which she's very likely to do

5. And David Miliband might be persuaded to stand and save Labour from extinction.

Miliband is not the man. Ed "Strictly" Balls is the man.
    Any chance of getting him in before June 8th?
  • Options
    edited April 2017

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

She is a lying b**ch.
    There's no "same way" about it.

In 1997 Labour was trying to oust a government and no-one expected a landslide of such proportions, and after so long a spell of Tory power no-one was going to risk preventing it by listening to such an argument.

This time the dynamic is completely different. The whole purpose of the election is for the sitting government to win a larger majority, and we all know why she wants it. The LibDems will play the "only we can stop a Tory majority" card for all it's worth...
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
    surbiton said:

She is a lying b**ch.
    And I always thought the expat rentier class had a more sophisticated vocabulary.....
  • Options
    Anyone going to vote for Corbyn?
  • Options

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

She is a lying b**ch.
    Hm.. May did say something along the lines of calling an early general election for a safe and secure society.... :o
  • Options
    Possible indication of a slightly lower than expected R1 FN poll ?

https://twitter.com/quatremer/status/853592059193827328
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    edited April 2017
    18 months is an eternity in politics.

Tim Farron: Lib Dems would go back into coalition with Tories

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/23/tim-farron-lib-dems-coalition-tories-clegg

Tim Farron must hope voters have short memories.
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Roger said:

• Options
    Roger said:

Many in Islington North.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,138
    Y0kel said:

DavidL said:

Y0kel said:

All great but that assumes a swing that is universal, which is unlikely and that the Conservatives hold on to everything they got, unlikely. I think they'd genuinely do well to get themselves to 30-35 majority. Despite the fact there is no credible opposition leader, with two Mr Weedy's in charge, there is a limit to potential, a point where votes simply will stop stacking up in the right place.

I'll think they'll get more than that but I have already said I don't see the landslide. My guess at the moment would be that they will take 50-60 from Labour, maybe 3-4 from the SNP and lose maybe a dozen to the Lib Dems. That would add about 80 to their existing majority but leave them short of the 100.
  • Options
    Animal_pbAnimal_pb Posts: 608
    Pulpstar said:

Animal_pb said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

She is a lying b**ch.

I'll have £200 on that if you're offering.
    For the avoidance of doubt, that was a question, not an offer.

I note that a non-supporter thinks it's a better than 10% chance, though (ok 9%, before the pedants hyperventilate).
  • Options

The dislike of Corbyn will be greater than the 'desire' for the lib dems.

How's their mansion tax policy these days?
    It's not ony that. Zac wasn't standing as a Conservative, he'd made himself unpopular because of what was seen as a silly gimmick of a by-election and also his inept mayoral campaign, and in any case by-elections are generally easier for oppostion parties (especailly the LibDems) than GEs. So the starting base of a 4.5% LibDem majority is probably not enough for them to hold the seat IMO.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,658
    surbiton said:

She is a lying b**ch.
    Again being charitable and assuming she has simply changed her mind, she still has not explained the change satisfactorily, and all those 'she gives her word and sticks to it' people look like fools, for thinking she was not, well, a politician.
  • Options
    Roger said:

No, but I've never voted labour in my life anyway.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

DavidL said:

Y0kel said:

Con lose 15 to LD
    Con gain 60 from Lab
    Con gain 5 from SNP

Result: Con maj circa 100.
  • Options

Nonsense, LibDem larger majority, nailed on.

By-election winners almost always go on to hold at least once, especially if the by-election wasn't too long before the next General. Reckless was one of relatively few exceptions.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,579
    Yorkcity said:

Or miles ahead in the polls......
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,658
    dr_spyn said:

18 months is an eternity in politics.

Tim Farron: Lib Dems would go back into coalition with Tories

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/sep/23/tim-farron-lib-dems-coalition-tories-clegg

Tim Farron must hope voters have short memories.

The LDs are seeking to erase the coalition from peoples' memories
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Roger said:

Does anyone live in Islington North?
  • Options

Y0kel said:

DavidL said:

Y0kel said:

Con lose 15 to LD
    Con gain 60 from Lab
    Con gain 5 from SNP

Result: Con maj circa 100.
    Is that the Scottish Tory Surge Klaxon I hear in the distance? ;)
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    So, Lib Dem Seat bands.

10-19 @ 5/2 along with
    20-29 @ 3/1

with Shadsy seems like a good idea?
  • Options

Con gain 5 from SNP

Oooooof. Surely not?!
  • Options
    surbiton said:

surbiton said:

Artist said:

Forgot about Carswell, he's screwed unless he can beg for the Tory nomination.

Why shouldn't he have the Con nomination?
    He is not a member , maybe ?
    That could be rectified in a matter of seconds.
    Oh, I see. You have no procedures. Will everyone at Clacton Tory Association just accept it ?
    I was answering the point about his not being a member.

My understanding is that candidates will be appointed to constituencies. I don't know the score in Clacton but Carswell always struck me as quite personally popular there. If there wasn't anyone already lined up then why not?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Rather a give away from the Guardian!

First this: Jess Phillips, the MP for Birmingham Yardley, said: “I’m still a bit in shock.."

Then later in the same article: In private, a number of senior Labour MPs said they were very worried. One MP said she was in complete shock and felt sick thinking of colleagues at risk of losing their seats in the Midlands.

Clearly Ms Phillips wanted the second bit, predicting imminent local losses for her party, to be 'off the record'. But with the Guardian's "she", reference to the Midlands, and repeat of the word "shock" I don't think we need to trouble Sherlock Holmes with this one....

She herself isn't example safe having won Yardley from the LDs last time around. That said with 60% voting leave it could be one place where the LD's EU stance harms them.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,983

SeanT said:

Lot of Remainers unhappy on here. They should be more cheerful. A big Tory win will give TMay room to maneuver us to a Softer Brexit. She won't be hamstrung by the Ultra Brexiteers threatening to rebel.

This is true. It also gives everyone a lot more time for extensions and can kicks, which is the most plausible way to minimize the car crash.
    Impressive cliché density in just one line.
  • Options

She herself isn't example safe having won Yardley from the LDs last time around. That said with 60% voting leave it could be one place where the LD's EU stance harms them.

It depends how much correlation there is between the 40% of remain voters and Lib Dem GE voters in that seat. If they overlap, then even in a seat like that it will help them.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Con gain 5 from SNP

Oooooof. Surely not?!
    I don't have figures to hand so I don't know what is vulnerable.

BRS is an almost certain gain but it was 58% Remain and a huge Liberal traditional which may stop what I had pegged as an inevitable flip to Con.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,161
    Roger said:

Corbyn is such an idiot he will probably forget to vote for himself, or be stuck in train toilet on election day or something.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    When was the last genuinely snap election? Does 1983 or 1987 qualify?
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Kate McCann‏VERIFIED ACCOUNT @KateEMcCann 4 mins4 minutes ago

Labour source tells me veteran MP Alan Johnson won't be standing in the June general election
    2 replies 14 retweets 4 likes
  • Options
    In contrast to Richmond Park, I think he'll regain his seat quite comfortably.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,694

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

She is a lying b**ch.
    It does become that because Theresa May has herself defended the election in those terms: my power needs to be untrammelled because institutions and other parties are trying to subvert the will of the people. It's the same arguments that Erdogan used in his referendum.
  • Options
    Seems I was right - it was a chat with her husband whilst walking that secured the decision.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited April 2017
    SeanT said:

Roger said:

SeanT said:

Roger said:

1. Corbyn will be a footnote by the evening of June 8th when he's certain to resign.

3. The Lib Dems being the only party against Brexit are likely to have their best result for decades

5. And David Miliband might be persuaded to stand and save Labour from extinction.

Dunno, but if Labour have any sense they should find a way.

But that would be the ultimate admission of failure for Corbyn and his supporters. Surely he has to try and fight in a GE or all his posturing is pointless?

• Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Why does everyone seem so certain Corbyn will resign? I think you all underestimate his pig headed stupidity.
  • Options
    Are we going to get daily YouGovs again now?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

She is a lying b**ch.
    It does become that because Theresa May has herself defended the election in those terms: my power needs to be untrammelled because institutions and other parties are trying to subvert the will of the people. It's the same arguments that Erdogan used in his referendum.
    "The country has united but Westminster has not." It's the language of the dictator.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Roger said:

SeanT said:

Roger said:

Dunno, but if Labour have any sense they should find a way.

But that would be the ultimate admission of failure by him and his supporters. Surely he has to try and fight in a GE or all his posturing is pointless?

Any news from Ed? Surely there is a safe seat somewhere with someone who fancies a few quiet years in House of Lords?
  • Options

Roger said:

Corbyn is such an idiot he will probably forget to vote for himself, or be stuck in train toilet on election day or something.
    It genuinely wouldn't surprise me if he has a bike riding holiday in Venezuela booked during the GE campaign and he actually chooses to go on it.

Actually, a lot of Labour MP will probably be wishing he does.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    edited April 2017

When was the last genuinely snap election? Does 1983 or 1987 qualify?

No.

Last real "snap" or "crisis" election was 1974 when Ted asked the nation "Who governs Britain" and the answer came back... "Not you" ! ;)
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited April 2017

Kate McCann‏VERIFIED ACCOUNT @KateEMcCann 4 mins4 minutes ago

Labour source tells me veteran MP Alan Johnson won't be standing in the June general election

Shame, I wonder if the postie has done enough to be shuffled over to the red seats?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    If the LDs lose a seat I think it might be Southport. There was a big UKIP vote there last time which might transfer to the Tories.
This discussion has been closed.