Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just to confirm: Friday’s Pre-GE2017 gathering WILL be taking

SystemSystem Posts: 11,008
edited May 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just to confirm: Friday’s Pre-GE2017 gathering WILL be taking place

Several people have been asking if Friday’s PB gathering is still going to take place. The answer is yes. It will start at the Lord Raglan pub, 61 St Martins le Grand, St Pauls EC1A 4ER from 6.30pm. An area downstairs called the Fireplace has been booked.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    edited May 2017
    First! It doesn`t often happen.....
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Hope everyone has a great time!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    Have fun.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Jason said:

kle4 said:

No idea how significant in the context of normal GE numbers and given this don't auto register..

A record-breaking 250,000 young people signed up to vote yesterday after Labour promised an expensive election giveaway to students.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4534290/Record-250-000-young-people-register-vote-24-hours.html

Big believer one significant driver of recent labour poll numbers is students / free uni policy.

One of the more blatant electioneering stunt announcements- while I would be very happy if more young people voted for once, I would hope that unbelievable promise doesn't sway things too much.
    One thing I found curious about this announcement was the total lack of scrutiny from either the Tories or the media. As you say, one of the most naked electoral bribes I can ever remember, coming in at an eye watering 10 billion quid a year. As I mentioned earlier, the scrutiny of Labour's manifesto (and Mr Corbyn) has been woefully lacking because nobody took it seriously. That cannot be allowed to continue.

We all know the voting history of 18-24 year olds, so the Tories needn't worry too much, I feel. They didn't even turn out for the EU referendum in any great number, and I expect the same at this election.
    and what about their parents ?

you dont think they are monstrously pissed off seeing their children drowning in a sea of debt before their lives have even started.

and all served up by a bunch of privileged Oxbridge brats for whom fees are loose change
    Probably are, but is the anger so bad they would, on that issue, vote for it even though it is (at least to my mind) unaffordable and unrealistic?
    it's not unaffordable.

we could slash the DFID budget and have free education.

it's a matter of choice.
    Yes, nothing is strictly speaking unaffordable - but listen to people bleat about paying for anything, but also anything getting taken away if they aren't willing to pay for it. If it was politically so appealing to have it be free and cut other stuff, we'd never have gone down this route in the first place as no one likes the fees, so it must be more complicated and, in general, people must have accepted the principle of some fees.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,298
    Why did they name a pub after Lord Raglan, I mean he should be pelted with rotten fruit for the charge of the light brigade.
  • Options
    BaskervilleBaskerville Posts: 391
    edited May 2017
    FPT
    Jason said:
    » show previous quotes
    One thing I found curious about this announcement was the total lack of scrutiny from either the Tories or the media. As you say, one of the most naked electoral bribes I can ever remember, coming in at an eye watering 10 billion quid a year. As I mentioned earlier, the scrutiny of Labour's manifesto (and Mr Corbyn) has been woefully lacking because nobody took it seriously. That cannot be allowed to continue.

We all know the voting history of 18-24 year olds, so the Tories needn't worry too much, I feel. They didn't even turn out for the EU referendum in any great number, and I expect the same at this election.

They don't want to give an obvious bribe the oxygen of publicity... instead concentrate on the overall sums not adding up. Don't want to increase awareness among benefiting students, do we?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    edited May 2017
    Why would it not be going ahead?

(Not that I can make it, sadly.)
  • Options

Why did they name a pub after Lord Raglan, I mean he should be pelted with rotten fruit for the charge of the light brigade.

Better than yet another Red Lion, The Bell or Rose and Crown.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924

FPT
    Jason said:
    » show previous quotes

They don't want to give an obvious bribe the oxygen of publicity... instead concentrate on the overall sums not adding up. Don't want to increase awareness among benefiting students, do we?

Did they actually not turnoput. I seem to recall reading that the figures showe dreasonab;e levels.
    Not as high as my age group, admittedly.
  • Options

In Upton Bishop in Herefordshire there is a pub that used to be called the Bishop's Arms. Then the owner had a major falling out with his wife and it was mysteriously renamed the Moody Cow.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    When is the next PB meet in Yorkshire? Cycling World Championships? A bit of a way off!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,242

Probably from his Napoleonic war service - "At Waterloo he was wounded and his right arm had to be amputated. At the end of the surgery he told orderly not to take away his arm until he had removed a ring that his wife had given him."

The basic problem was that he was far, far too old by the time of the Crimean war.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Jason said:

Jason said:

Consider this nightmare scenario.

Imagine if a group of these psychos got hold of some fissile material - highly unlikely, not even probable, but a tiny possibility in a globalised world.

A dirty atomic weapon, however crude, detonated in the centre of London, Paris, Berlin, etc, would probably bring down our entire system overnight. It would crash every stock market in the world, trillions of pounds would disappear in an instant, and all of our stocks, shares, pension funds, etc, would be wiped out.

We could potentially end up going back a hundred years, at least in the short term. It's a horrifying thought, but let's not kid ourselves about this - if they could make this happen, they would.

No they fucking wouldn't.

Places like the Bank of England, the Stock Exchange all have off site back ups well away from London to stop the nightmare scenario you're fantasising about.
    No, no, no, I'm not talking about physically blowing up computer servers. Stock markets can crash without someone unplugging a machine.

And it's hardly a fucking fantasy, now is it?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Jason said:

kle4 said:

No idea how significant in the context of normal GE numbers and given this don't auto register..

A record-breaking 250,000 young people signed up to vote yesterday after Labour promised an expensive election giveaway to students.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4534290/Record-250-000-young-people-register-vote-24-hours.html

Big believer one significant driver of recent labour poll numbers is students / free uni policy.

One of the more blatant electioneering stunt announcements- while I would be very happy if more young people voted for once, I would hope that unbelievable promise doesn't sway things too much.

you dont think they are monstrously pissed off seeing their children drowning in a sea of debt before their lives have even started.

and all served up by a bunch of privileged Oxbridge brats for whom fees are loose change
    Probably are, but is the anger so bad they would, on that issue, vote for it even though it is (at least to my mind) unaffordable and unrealistic?
    it's not unaffordable.

it's a matter of choice.
    Yes, nothing is strictly speaking unaffordable - but listen to people bleat about paying for anything, but also anything getting taken away if they aren't willing to pay for it. If it was politically so appealing to have it be free and cut other stuff, we'd never have gone down this route in the first place as no one likes the fees, so it must be more complicated and, in general, people must have accepted the principle of some fees.
    No it isnt

its fairly straight forward we piss money up the wall so Cameron could play noblesse oblige with other peoples money.

we dont invest in our childrens future.
  • Options

It’s the sleeves.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

FPT
    Jason said:
    » show previous quotes

Did they actually not turnoput. I seem to recall reading that the figures showe dreasonab;e levels.
    https://www.ipsos.com/ipsos-mori/en-uk/how-britain-voted-2015

There appears to be no significant increase in turnout among young people, with 18-24s almost half as likely to vote as those aged 65+ (43% vs 78%; in 2010 estimated turnout for 18-24s was 44%).
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited May 2017
    Woe betide any Islamic terrorists who comes between a PBer and his pint. - Have fun folks
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

A death ride has always had a strange appeal.
  • Options
    They might as well as named the pub after Arthur Percival
  • Options

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Jason said:

kle4 said:

it's not unaffordable.

it's a matter of choice.
    Yes,
    No it isnt

its fairly straight forward we piss money up the wall so Cameron could play noblesse oblige with other peoples money.

And yet people didn't throw him to the wolves for maintaining the 0.7% and university fees, so in general people cannot be that unhappy about that principle. It is demonstrably so. And May is expected to win while promising basically the same, and could win even bigger, a lot bigger, so once again people might not be that angry about it. Will sufficient numbers be angry to make a difference is a different question.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

FPT
    Jason said:
    » show previous quotes

There appears to be no significant increase in turnout among young people, with 18-24s almost half as likely to vote as those aged 65+ (43% vs 78%; in 2010 estimated turnout for 18-24s was 44%).
    Which half of that age group do you think is voting?

The half who made it to university or the half that did not?

I've never understood the meme that students do not vote. In 2001 I was living in a Halls of Residence as an 18 year old student and virtually everyone I spoke to that day voted. While young people as a whole do not turnout I imagine most who dropped out of education before uni are those not voting.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

There is a comment down thread that caused me to swear out loud, with my venom directed towards the poster. This is a first.

I'm not going to say who it was.

A first? There have been quite a few "good" examples today....
  • Options
    Jason said:

Jason said:

Jason said:

Imagine if a group of these psychos got hold of some fissile material - highly unlikely, not even probable, but a tiny possibility in a globalised world.

A dirty atomic weapon, however crude, detonated in the centre of London, Paris, Berlin, etc, would probably bring down our entire system overnight. It would crash every stock market in the world, trillions of pounds would disappear in an instant, and all of our stocks, shares, pension funds, etc, would be wiped out.

We could potentially end up going back a hundred years, at least in the short term. It's a horrifying thought, but let's not kid ourselves about this - if they could make this happen, they would.

Places like the Bank of England, the Stock Exchange all have off site back ups well away from London to stop the nightmare scenario you're fantasising about.
    No, no, no, I'm not talking about physically blowing up computer servers. Stock markets can crash without someone unplugging a machine.

What are you on about?
  • Options
    TonyTony Posts: 159
    Jason said:

Jason said:

Jason said:

With all due respect , you don't have a clue what you're talking about :)
    Servers for any large City organisation are typical hosted AWAY from the centre of London in at least 2 buildings a minimum of 30 miles apart. Data is replicated between both locations so the company can continue with limited impact should a site go down.
  • Options

When is the next PB meet in Yorkshire? Cycling World Championships? A bit of a way off!

I'm hoping to arrange a PB meet in Manchester in October to coincide with the Tory conference.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    edited May 2017
    ydoethur said:

In Upton Bishop in Herefordshire there is a pub that used to be called the Bishop's Arms. Then the owner had a major falling out with his wife and it was mysteriously renamed the Moody Cow.
    Some PBers were keen on this Kent pub .... OGH wasn't enthusiastic :

http://www.barbersarms.co.uk/
  • Options

RobD said:

FPT
    Jason said:
    » show previous quotes

I've never understood the meme that students do not vote. In 2001 I was living in a Halls of Residence as an 18 year old student and virtually everyone I spoke to that day voted. While young people as a whole do not turnout I imagine most who dropped out of education before uni are those not voting.
    Would be interested to see some actual numbers on that, but I fear no analysis has been done.
  • Options

I'm hoping to arrange a PB meet in Manchester in October to coincide with the Tory conference.
    The declaration of the end of the UK and the introduction of the Mayist Empire, surely?
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

FPT
    Jason said:
    » show previous quotes

Would be interested to see some actual numbers on that, but I fear no analysis has been done.
    But enough about the party manifestos.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

FPT
    Jason said:
    » show previous quotes

But enough about the party manifestos.
    :p
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    I went to the Cannes film festival today and they had the British the French and the EU flags at half mast. It was quite moving. I think we're going to miss this solidarity more than we can imagine in the months and years ahead.
  • Options
    JackW said:

ydoethur said:

Some PBers were keen on this Kent pub .... OGH wasn't enthusiastic :

http://www.barbersarms.co.uk/
    Shame, I understand the beer's an absolute snip there.

That is my one and only awful pun this evening.
  • Options
    Roger said:

I went to the Cannes film festival today and they had the British the French and the EU flags at half mast. It was quite moving. I think we're going to miss this solidarity more than we can imagine in the months and years ahead.

We have to be in the EU to get sympathy?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581

Hopefully I'll be able to make it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The declaration of the end of the UK and the introduction of the Mayist Empire, surely?
    Nah, the walk of atonement for Nick Timothy.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Solidarity at tragic events will always be with us, political organisations or no.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    RobD said:

Roger said:

We have to be in the EU to get sympathy?
    Yeah I was only sad after the Bataclan attacks because France is in the EU
  • Options

It is a pity they demolished Tommy Ducks - you lot would have loved it, especially the "collection" nailed to the ceiling :D:D:D
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,748

Jason said:

Jason said:

Jason said:

What are you on about?
    I'm not sure its terribly wise to discuss what may or may not happen when our country is attacked in various ways.
  • Options

It is a pity they demolished Tommy Ducks - you lot would have loved it, especially the "collection" nailed to the ceiling :D:D:D
    I was thinking of holding it at Poptastic in The Village
  • Options
    Roger said:

Why would they not show solidarity? Even Putin's doing that!

Just because we are leaving the EU does not mean they will stop behaving like rational and decent human beings at events like this, as we will not if (when, sadly) the boot is on the other foot.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Roger said:

Roger, with all due respect and the greatest will in the world: don't be a tit.
  • Options
    Just spotted this in the Tory manifesto

We will prohibit councils from creating any new places in schools that have been rated either ‘inadequate’ or ‘requires improvement’ by Ofsted

That seems fraught with unintended difficulties, at first glance.
  • Options
    Tony said:

Jason said:

Jason said:

Jason said:

Servers for any large City organisation are typical hosted AWAY from the centre of London in at least 2 buildings a minimum of 30 miles apart. Data is replicated between both locations so the company can continue with limited impact should a site go down.
    No, you misunderstand the point I'm trying to make. In the event of such a disastrous occurrence, stock markets the world over would crash, wiping trillions off stocks and commodities. I'm not necessarily talking about the physical damage, which would be immense anyway, but the massive psychological damage and commercial/business sentiment.

I'm really struggling to make it any simpler to understand than that.

• Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    edited May 2017
    If anyone arrives in the area early with some time to kill, I recommend looking round the park opposite, the Postman's Park. It has a remarkable monument to heroic deaths in the late 19th century. It's both moving and in places unintentionally amusing.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

We will prohibit councils from creating any new places in schools that have been rated either ‘inadequate’ or ‘requires improvement’ by Ofsted

Less so than you might imagine because most schools especially in the former category are undersubscribed anyway. The problem is usually paying for staff redundancies not creating more places.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    kle4 said:

Hush :)
  • Options
    Jason said:

Tony said:

Jason said:

Jason said:

Jason said:

No, you misunderstand the point I'm trying to make. In the event of such a disastrous occurrence, stock markets the world over would crash, wiping trillions off stocks and commodities. I'm not necessarily talking about the physical damage, which would be immense anyway, but the massive psychological damage and commercial/business sentiment.

It's because you're not aware of the controls in place to stop something like that happening.

They've already wargamed this into the system.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Less so than you might imagine because most schools especially in the former category are undersubscribed anyway. The problem is usually paying for staff redundancies not creating more places.
    What's your general take on the 'education' offer, if I might ask?
  • Options
    ChelyabinskChelyabinsk Posts: 488
    ydoethur said:

Roger said:

Just because we are leaving the EU does not mean they will stop behaving like rational and decent human beings at events like this, as we will not if (when, sadly) the boot is on the other foot.
    Unfortunately, sympathy is not always shown where it should be.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Jason said:

kle4 said:

it's not unaffordable.

it's a matter of choice.
    Probably more to do with most voters (and MPs) having benefited from a fees-free University education, so not caring about making those who came after from paying
  • Options

I was thinking of holding it at Poptastic in The Village
    :D:D

Perfect!
  • Options

Jason said:

Tony said:

Jason said:

Jason said:

Jason said:

It's because you're not aware of the controls in place to stop something like that happening.

Isn't Jason basically saying the FTSE would be a lot lower if someone detonated a dirty bomb in central London? Not that assets would literally be destroyed.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Nick Timothy wrote that section.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

We'd probably have less sympathy if we invaded and seized Calais (despite it being our rightful claim) :p
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Jason said:

Tony said:

Jason said:

Jason said:

Jason said:

Personally I'd be more worried about the massive loss of life rather than the hit my pension pot might take.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    What time is the Corbyn interview on...do we control the TV remote...
  • Options

kle4 said:

Is he the manifesto equivalent of an Alan Smithee film?

It's all approved at the top, who wrote bits is immaterial.
  • Options
    BaskervilleBaskerville Posts: 391

ydoethur said:

Roger said:

Indeed, and we should be ashamed of ourselves.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Roger said:

It's worthless, I'd be happy to see such demonstrations of solidarity come to an end.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Jason said:

Tony said:

Jason said:

Jason said:

Jason said:

Isn't Jason basically saying the FTSE would be a lot lower if someone detonated a dirty bomb in central London? Not that assets would literally be destroyed.
    Nope, there's controls in place.

I mean you do know stock markets can be suspended in emergencies? Just look at what happened on/the days after 9/11
  • Options
    Odd conversation this morning with an officer of the local Labour Party. He was canvvassed a couple of days ago by by the LibDem .... hasn’t a poster in his window yet ..... who was, apparently, at Oxford with May. (as she subsequently became!)

May .... easier .... apparently spent most of her time around the Conservative Association rather than either doing more than just enough work, or socialising with other students, who might have had different views.
    Or both!
  • Options
    Have a beer for me everyone. Remember those who will no longer be able to enjoy lifes simple pleasures.

@TSE - I would be up for a Manchester get together.
  • Options
    A vigil in Birmingham for the Manchester Arena victims has been interrupted after a man apparently armed with a large knife and a baseball bat was detained nearby, Press Association reports.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

I haven't had a chance to look at any other than Labour's in any detail, to be honest.

If that was meant seriously, then Rayner is actually even stupider than she looks. It wasn't even unworkable, it was actually deliberately dishonest (in terms of its funding - in effect, every spending commitment was unfunded).

Looking in more detail will have to wait a few days until I am a bit less busy.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Roger said:

We got similar gestures of solidarity from Australia, Israel, Canada, Dubai, etc etc etc

Dubai was really rather impressive

https://twitter.com/AthleticsDrLeon/status/867066054085943300

I trust our friendships go beyond the politics of a trading bloc
    Well played Dubai!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Personally I'd be more worried about the massive loss of life rather than the hit my pension pot might take.

See that's why you're a Lib Dem, and I'm a Tory
  • Options
    glw said:

Roger said:

It's worthless
    Yet harmless, so why begrudge it?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Whatever you think of the politics, the alt right has mastered graphics, production values and presentation skills. This stuff is powerful, and watched by millions.

I wouldn't even take issue with most of that, there's more truth there than you will here from most of the press who are already following the very script he listed.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    I cried when I saw the picture of the eight year old, did I cry when many women and children died as a result our middle east bombing, probably not but it has made me think
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Is he the manifesto equivalent of an Alan Smithee film?

It's all approved at the top, who wrote bits is immaterial.
    To be fair to Nick Timothy he's got a lot of experience in the schools/educational sector.
  • Options

That takes me back. women's knickers wasn't it?
  • Options

If anyone arrives in the area early with some time to kill, I recommend looking round the park opposite, the Postman's Park. It has a remarkable monument to heroic deaths in the late 19th century. It's both moving and in places unintentionally amusing.

This.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Jason said:

kle4 said:

it's not unaffordable.

it's a matter of choice.
    Yes,
    No it isnt

And yet people didn't throw him to the wolves for maintaining the 0.7% and university fees, so in general people cannot be that unhappy about that principle. It is demonstrably so. And May is expected to win while promising basically the same, and could win even bigger, a lot bigger, so once again people might not be that angry about it. Will sufficient numbers be angry to make a difference is a different question.
    It simply hasnt gone tits up yet

but the scheme is unsustainable and people will get pissed off
  • Options
    kle4 said:

glw said:

Roger said:

It's worthless
    I think it acts as a displacement for doing useful things, and we use it as a way of damping down justified anger, so I wouldn't agree that it is harmless.
  • Options

Jason said:

Tony said:

Jason said:

Jason said:

Jason said:

One oil company commissioned a report into what would happen if it's London HQ was completely destroyed (staff, records - the lot). The foolish consultants provided a report that said - no noticeable effect on world wide operations.

Strangely, no further work was commissioned to them from the London office....
  • Options
    glw said:

kle4 said:

glw said:

Roger said:

It's worthless
    I think it acts as a displacement for doing useful things, and we use it as a way of damping down justified anger, so I wouldn't agree that it is harmless.
    Point taken.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited May 2017
    Re late electoral registrations:

The interesting and relevant figure will be the total electorate this time compared to 2015 GE and 2016 EU ref.

Of course this GE's figure won't be available yet until all the late applications have been processed.
  • Options
    Roger said:

We don't put our flags at half mast when they have a bombing or shootings in Iraq or Libya or Israel or the US or Russia or Tunisia. It's something we do with those closest to us and something those close do to us.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Yes. However, for the avoidance of doubt, none of them belonged to me :)
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    Jason said:

Tony said:

Jason said:

Jason said:

Jason said:

You are confusing people because two of your three named cities contain a major bourse; perhaps try Berlin, Washington, Rome as examples? And a big enough atrocity to collapse the world's stock markets would probably have graver and more lasting consequences than just the collapse of the world's stock markets. Buy physical gold, and tinned beans, if that makes you any happier.
  • Options

Jason said:

Tony said:

Jason said:

Jason said:

Jason said:

One oil company commissioned a report into what would happen if it's London HQ was completely destroyed (staff, records - the lot). The foolish consultants provided a report that said - no noticeable effect on world wide operations.

Strangely, no further work was commissioned to them from the London office....
    Why, was it closed? :smile:
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Roger said:

Roger said:

We don't put our flags at half mast when they have a bombing or shootings in Iraq or Libya or Israel or the US or Russia or Tunisia. It's something we do with those closest to us and something those close do to us.
    Europe will remain close to us, in or out of the EU - we'd do it for Norway. Geographically close, culturally close, these things remain true, even if politically we separate and even if you feel culturally we are drifting away.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

I haven't had a chance to look at any other than Labour's in any detail, to be honest.

If that was meant seriously, then Rayner is actually even stupider than she looks. It wasn't even unworkable, it was actually deliberately dishonest (in terms of its funding - in effect, every spending commitment was unfunded).

Looking in more detail will have to wait a few days until I am a bit less busy.
    She looks - and sounds - like Keith Lemon. Only he's funny and she isn't.
  • Options

Roger said:

Yes. However, for the avoidance of doubt, none of them belonged to me :)
    I assume you go commando ?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    SeanT said:

Roger said:

We got similar gestures of solidarity from Australia, Israel, Canada, Dubai, etc etc etc

Marvellous that they were able to get past the distorting burden of their religion.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226

Especially its 'memorial to heroic self sacrifice'.

PB'ers task for the evening is to identify some additonal political nominees for such commemoration,
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792

SeanT said:

Roger said:

Marvellous that they were able to get past the distorting burden of their religion.
    The SNP occupation government would be incapable of honoring the Union flag so.
  • Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

lol. I'd suggest our bond with the Americans is much deeper than with Europe.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

Have a beer for me everyone. Remember those who will no longer be able to enjoy lifes simple pleasures.

@TSE - I would be up for a Manchester get together.

I'd also be up for this, if we are thinking of non-London PB events.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,157
    I share what @TudorRose wrote on the previous thread about how to tackle Corbyn.

Perhaps some comments from Labour types might help:-

Exhibit 1 below: a vignette from September 2016 – the first formal day of the Conference.

9:46am: Corbyn tells Jewish peer who quit Labour over anti-Semitism to “reflect“.

9:56am: Corbyn says he backs war crimes investigations into British troops.

10:00am: Corbyn says he opposes giving more resources to MI6.

10:22am: McDonnell defends calling Esther McVey “a stain on humanity”.

10:40am: Yvette Cooper tells McDonnell to apologise.

11:06am: McDonnell doubles down, says “yes I do” think they were the right words.

11:15pm: Derek Hatton spotted in the conference hall.

11:52am: Ken Livingstone talks about Hitler on the BBC.

1:42am: Delegate rants about “Jewish MPs” and “Jewish plot to oust Corbyn”.

1:50pm: Fringe speaker compares Tory welfare policy to Nazis’ Arbeit Macht Frei.

5:00pm: Momentum host speaker call for a Jewish man’s throat to be cut.

5:25pm: Anti-war merchandise mocking injured British soldiers on sale.

6:00pm: Jackie Walker says anti-Semitism in Labour is “exaggerated“.

6:30pm: Leaflets circulated: “Jewish Labour Movement does not belong in Labour” at a meeting held to discuss anti-Semitism within the Labour party.

And this – Exhibit 2 – from a former Labour councillor in Portsmouth. Perhaps it should now be plastered all over Tory posters.

"I cannot advocate to voters that they elect a Labour Government with Jeremy Corbyn at the helm. Indeed, I would be morally obliged to campaign against any administration that included Corbyn and John McDonnell, given my belief that they would seriously imperil our nation's national security if ever given the reins of power."

Mind you, it simply echoes what Jeff (now Lord) Rooker said last year at the time of the Syria bombing vote.

"My party leader cannot be accused, like the prime minister, of misleading anyone. He has never, to my knowledge, agreed to protect the realm, the British way of life, or western liberal democracies – and he won't. We need to get rid of him before we face the electorate and have a leader fit and proper to offer themselves as our prime minister….

The case is clear, Daesh is coming for us. They try to use our innate tolerance to undermine us – exactly the same way as the anti-British Trots in the Labour party are using our tolerance to try and get control. The history of Munich tells me not to give in to the easy route. If you don't fight when under attack, you lose – and we are under attack."

Ouch, ouch….

Plus Diane Abbott, a woman Corbyn is putting forward as Home Secretary.

How any decent person can – in all good conscience – now support Labour beats me.

• Options
    George Osborne has been very busy, editing a paper and sticking up posters as well

https://twitter.com/standardnews/status/867094028801757185
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

SeanT said:

Roger said:

Money and less culture than an empty yoghurt pot?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274

George Osborne has been very busy, editing a paper and sticking up posters as well

twitter.com/standardnews/status/867094028801757185

Its not a viral ad for some gym is it?
  • Options

well he's got so much time on his hands these days .....
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046

SeanT said:

Roger said:

The SNP occupation government would be incapable of honoring the Union flag so.
    http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-flags-flying-in-holyrood-outside-the-parliament-building-looking-towards-32909416.html
  • Options

You miss him don't you.

I predicted this.
  • Options

Indeed - he was planning on being an MP half the time, and a newspaper editor half the time, so he really needs another job.
This discussion has been closed.