Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just to confirm: Friday’s Pre-GE2017 gathering WILL be taking

Comments

• Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,774

Since the fiasco over the Tory manifesto and subsequent non-U-turn U-turn, coming on the back of a successful Labour manifesto launch, all they have left is to shout "IRA IRA IRA" from now to election day.

Why not try telling us all why a Conservative government would be a Good Thing? Perhaps citing some of the party's wonderful policy ideas?

I expect better from friends of Pinochet and apartheid apologists.

Not being Corbyn is enough to win big.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840

dixiedean said:

SeanT said:

Corbyn is fucked. We're in a State of Emergency.

Tory majority 150

Really?? Who has got us into this state over the past 7 years as HS and PM? 100+ only.
    And what should be done that isn't currently being done? Wholesale detention without trial?
    I don't know,Iam not privy to such information. However it is the job of HS and PM to provide security. We were told 10000 extra police was unaffordable.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    Chameleon said:

Without wishing to be unduly cynical, are we in a state of emergency because of credible intelligence, or because TMay wants to be seen to be doing something?

On a similarly related note, in the next week I'm going to two playoff finals, a theme park and a music performance. I do really have a knack for timing, don't I?

JTAC is independent.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,712
    edited May 2017
    Trump calls on allies to obliterate this 'evil ideology' in Jerusalem, echoes of Reagan and the 'evil empire'
    http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/05/23/ariana-grande-concert-attack-trump-after-manchester-attack-calls-on-allies-to-obliterate-this-evil-ideology.html
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401
    We have to be prepared for another attack. Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow.
  • RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    bobajobPB said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

I went to the Cannes film festival today and they had the British the French and the EU flags at half mast. It was quite moving. I think we're going to miss this solidarity more than we can imagine in the months and years ahead.

We don't put our flags at half mast when they have a bombing or shootings in Iraq or Libya or Israel or the US or Russia or Tunisia. It's something we do with those closest to us and something those close do to us.
    lol. I'd suggest our bond with the Americans is much deeper than with Europe.
    You think? I feel more at home in Paris than I do in New York.
    I feel more at home in Sydney, than either.

New York, any day of the week. But then I probably feel more at home there than London these days. My last prolonged visit, in 2012, was the first time I have felt that I am a foreigner in my own country. Probably the lot of all long-term emigres.
    New York is one of the most overrated cities on Earth. London is far more varied, in architecture, in culture. And it's cleaner, and much greener. NY is fun. But compared to London? No contest.
    We can agree on that at least :smile:

Charleston is the fairest city in North America.

• TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    Chameleon said:

Without wishing to be unduly cynical, are we in a state of emergency because of credible intelligence, or because TMay wants to be seen to be doing something?

On a similarly related note, in the next week I'm going to two playoff finals, a theme park and a music performance. I do really have a knack for timing, don't I?

I'm at Headingley tomorrow for the England v Saffers match.

I think the biggest thing I have to worry about is the weather.
  • david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,401
    I don't want to be cynical about this; the timetable for the day with the visit to Manchester, and the nature of the investigation both meant that COBRA couldn't have been held any earlier. All the same, the timing of the announcement hits the evening news and morning papers.
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,922

bobajobPB said:

Thomas

My old seat. Rupa Haq is a good MP, no chance Corbyn wins so you can safely vote for her

My old seat too. Where I voted tactically for that bloody LibDem in 2010. That went well.
    He really is seriously useless (see below for details). Why the LDs allowed him to stand again, I do not know.
    jonny83 said:

Wow, so critical means an attack could be underway or imminent? Wider cell involved and possible military deployed on the streets? Bloody Hell!

https://www.mi5.gov.uk/threat-levels

CRITICAL means an attack is expected imminently
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    chestnut said:

Why not try telling us all why a Conservative government would be a Good Thing?

Corbyn, McDonnell and Abbott.

Corbyn is the best of the three.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,401
    chestnut said:

Because the alternative is Labour.

Three people you couldn't trust to organise a cock up in a brothel.

It is that campaign strategy that has halved the Tory lead. Keep up the good work.
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    RobD said:

Chameleon said:

JTAC is independent.
    Well that's not overly comforting. Dammit.
  • chestnutchestnut Posts: 7,341
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

5...4...3...2...1....Some Maomentum tweets that it is all a ploy by May to snatch the election by scaring the public.

And others play into that by acting as though a Tory majority of 150+ is now inevitable as a result of this, as though the British public won't, even at such a time, reflect at least a little on the wider issues (even accepting security is always an issue).
    To be fair, it's only a few days since the polls were pointing to that very outcome, or an even greater majority.
    Another factor to consider - because Labour were improving I kept forgetting how big a Tory majority was implied as possible.

Like the tragedy of Jo Cox, the impact from this situation is, I imagine, indiscernible, but people will, depending on the outcome, presume it has had a significant effect, when it may merely have had an effect.
    The Jo Cox incident is reasonably measurable by comparing polls before with polls after between the same pollsters.

• ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,922
    kle4 said:

chestnut said:

Strangely, I agree. That's just how bad the other two are.
    bobajobPB said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

I went to the Cannes film festival today and they had the British the French and the EU flags at half mast. It was quite moving. I think we're going to miss this solidarity more than we can imagine in the months and years ahead.

We don't put our flags at half mast when they have a bombing or shootings in Iraq or Libya or Israel or the US or Russia or Tunisia. It's something we do with those closest to us and something those close do to us.

New York, any day of the week. But then I probably feel more at home there than London these days. My last prolonged visit, in 2012, was the first time I have felt that I am a foreigner in my own country. Probably the lot of all long-term emigres.
    New York is one of the most overrated cities on Earth. London is far more varied, in architecture, in culture. And it's cleaner, and much greener. NY is fun. But compared to London? No contest.
    Not having been to NYC, is that saying that London is pretty clean and green for a big city, or that NYC is an absolute hole?
  • MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    Floater said:

May suggesting possible terrorist network in operation....

Is she having a break-down ?
    Of course there is a support network.

She inhabits a pass the buck culture. She's been overloaded and has panicked. It's a tough job but I don't think she's got what it takes.
  • Chameleon said:

I will be there too, with a senior detective of West Yorkshire police (who is on holiday and has not yet been told he isn't).

The police have limited armed police (as it should be). There is a clear threat from the wider terror cell yesterdays scum was part off. The powers that be will have credible intelligence that another attack is coming. Expect lots of raids over the next few days.
    chestnut said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

5...4...3...2...1....Some Maomentum tweets that it is all a ploy by May to snatch the election by scaring the public.

And others play into that by acting as though a Tory majority of 150+ is now inevitable as a result of this, as though the British public won't, even at such a time, reflect at least a little on the wider issues (even accepting security is always an issue).
    To be fair, it's only a few days since the polls were pointing to that very outcome, or an even greater majority.
    Another factor to consider - because Labour were improving I kept forgetting how big a Tory majority was implied as possible.

Like the tragedy of Jo Cox, the impact from this situation is, I imagine, indiscernible, but people will, depending on the outcome, presume it has had a significant effect, when it may merely have had an effect.
    The Jo Cox incident is reasonably measurable by comparing polls before with polls after between the same pollsters.

That shows there was in impact in the polls, but does it show that it actually impacted the electoral result, when who is to say the polls taken before were accurate, and maybe the result would have more or less occurred anyway?
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    RoyalBlue said:

bobajobPB said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

We can agree on that at least :smile:

Charleston is the fairest city in North America.

I rather like Ely Minnesota.
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited May 2017
    Floater said:

Armed military personnel being deployed.

All two of them?
    oh do fuck off
    Fuck off yourself.

It's bullshit and you know it.

Floater said:

She inhabits a pass the buck culture. She's been overloaded and has panicked. It's a tough job but I don't think she's got what it takes.
    You are acting like decisions like this are taken on the whim of the PM - I severely doubt it is that easy to upgrade the threat level.
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Well, after watching Theresa May being interviewed last night I wouldn't want her anywhere near the Brexit negotiations. She is not a clear thinker and she is also easily rattled.

If the Conservatives win the election a much more competent person is needed at the helm to see Britain through the next two years.

Indeed. Really hope after TMay wins, the Tories dump her. She is pretty useless and the Tory party are known for their ruthlessness. Let'see..
    No, after this she will be there for a decade, no one else at the top of the Tory Party comes close, she will get a majority over 100 now and be untouchable, with Brexit and the terrorist threat the country will unite behind her
    After 2015, with Brexit a spectre expected to be defeated, people thought Cameron could rule as long as he wanted to. Our politics is pretty good at limiting even excellent politicians.
    Cameron went because he was too overconfident in calling an EU referendum which he fought against his own party, May is far more cautious and tends to fight battles she knows she can win

Floater said:

I wonder how Corbyn would be managing.
    kle4 said:

bobajobPB said:

MTimT said:

SeanT said:

RobD said:

Roger said:

Roger said:

Not having been to NYC, is that saying that London is pretty clean and green for a big city, or that NYC is an absolute hole?
    NYC and London are actually tied as the major Western cities, go to London if you want history, New York if you want skyscrapers
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

nielh said:

I've voted Labour at every GE since 1983, but the prospect of Diane Abbot being in charge of the security services is in itself reason enough to vote Tory this time round - and I suspect after last night I won't be the only one who thinks that way.

You can still vote labour safely in the knowledge that they have no chance whatsoever of winning, the issue is how big (and undeserved) the tory majority is.
    Its a toss up between wanting to make sure that there is an opposition, and wanting not to prolong the misery of having Corbyn and Abbot etc and the naive hard left controlling the main opposition party.
    Quite a difficult decision. I don't know if I can bring myself to endorse Corbyn for the reasons you describe.
    Yes, took me a lot of agonising, but I finally decided this weekend I will have to vote Tory - and that is my settled decision. I've been posting here off and on since 2005, and I never thought I'd live to become a PB Tory! But there we are.
    You have decided to throw in your lot with the 'lower form of life' .
    SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

Who remembers the Dementia Tax? What was that again?

You are losing your marbles.
    I'm trolling you, you disgusting leftwing traitors.

You need to be on the side of Brexit, and the new State of Emergency, and accept, with gladness, that we are now a country shrouded under the icy, tinkling, brilliant rule of Theresa, the Narnian Queen, with her Turkish Delight of Control Taken Back.

There will never again be leftwing government. Scum like you will be turned to STONE.
    My guess is that May will intern people like Gina Miller, Anthony Grayling, George Osborne, David Lammy, if she wins the election.
    RobD said:

Floater said:

Probably holding a peace seminar
    justin124 said:

nielh said:

I've voted Labour at every GE since 1983, but the prospect of Diane Abbot being in charge of the security services is in itself reason enough to vote Tory this time round - and I suspect after last night I won't be the only one who thinks that way.

You can still vote labour safely in the knowledge that they have no chance whatsoever of winning, the issue is how big (and undeserved) the tory majority is.
    Its a toss up between wanting to make sure that there is an opposition, and wanting not to prolong the misery of having Corbyn and Abbot etc and the naive hard left controlling the main opposition party.
    Quite a difficult decision. I don't know if I can bring myself to endorse Corbyn for the reasons you describe.
    Yes, took me a lot of agonising, but I finally decided this weekend I will have to vote Tory - and that is my settled decision. I've been posting here off and on since 2005, and I never thought I'd live to become a PB Tory! But there we are.
    He couldn't resist the power of the dark side. :smiley:
  • MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    edited May 2017
    What May should really have said today .
    A few weeks ago I called an unnecessary GE for purely partisan reasons on the pretext of needing a strong and stable government . My weak and wobbly campaign has distracted and weakened the resources of our security services and contributed to the deaths of many young people in Manchester . As PM the buck stops at my desk and I will be seeing the Queen to tender my resignation later today .
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Well, after watching Theresa May being interviewed last night I wouldn't want her anywhere near the Brexit negotiations. She is not a clear thinker and she is also easily rattled.

If the Conservatives win the election a much more competent person is needed at the helm to see Britain through the next two years.

Indeed. Really hope after TMay wins, the Tories dump her. She is pretty useless and the Tory party are known for their ruthlessness. Let'see..
    No, after this she will be there for a decade, no one else at the top of the Tory Party comes close, she will get a majority over 100 now and be untouchable, with Brexit and the terrorist threat the country will unite behind her
    After 2015, with Brexit a spectre expected to be defeated, people thought Cameron could rule as long as he wanted to. Our politics is pretty good at limiting even excellent politicians.
    Cameron went because he was too overconfident in calling an EU referendum which he fought against his own party, May is far more cautious and tends to fight battles she knows she can win
    I've generally subscribed to the idea that people's greatest strength is often, ultimately, their greatest weakness. Decisiveness to arrogance. Caution into indecisiveness. Charm into smarm.

May already saw a torrent of Tory anger flow at her on here over the manifesto for instance. Not the most balanced or unemotional of samples, but she can anger her people, she can make mistakes, and it will come. Sooner than 10 years .
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @bbclaurak: Labour confirms no national campaigning tmrw

A few weeks ago I called an unnecessary GE for purely partisan reasons on the pretext of needing a strong and stable government . My weak and wobbly campaign has distracted and weakened the resources of our security services and contributed to the deaths of many young people in Manchester . As PM the buck stops at my desk and will be seeing the Queen to tender my resignation later today .

Why would MI5 be distracted by the general election?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2017
    Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: Labour confirms no national campaigning tmrw

Does that mean local is still on?
  • TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Floater said:

Something like "I condemn all bombings, be they on British soil or not"

Floater said:

In 2 weeks time she will likely win a landslide, she will then clearly have a mandate to take forward, there is nobody on the frontbench of either main party who comes close at the moment, though Keir Starmer would at least offer Labour some heavyweight muscle
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

We have milk and cookies
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

A few weeks ago I called an unnecessary GE for purely partisan reasons on the pretext of needing a strong and stable government . My weak and wobbly campaign has distracted and weakened the resources of our security services and contributed to the deaths of many young people in Manchester . As PM the buck stops at my desk and I will be seeing the Queen to tender my resignation later today .

There really is something wrong with you.

A few weeks ago I called an unnecessary GE for purely partisan reasons on the pretext of needing a strong and stable government . My weak and wobbly campaign has distracted and weakened the resources of our security services and contributed to the deaths of many young people in Manchester . As PM the buck stops at my desk and will be seeing the Queen to tender my resignation later today .

Mark, in all seriousness, what evidence do you have, at all, that the resources of our security services have been impacted by the calling of a general election, which parliament, not May, passed?

Genuinely, why do you even think that? You have outright stated our security services were weakened due to May, and that is a serious allegation.
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979
    SeanT said:

Barnesian said:

surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

MikeL said:

Cyclefree said:

I share what @TudorRose wrote on the previous thread about how to tackle Corbyn.

Perhaps some comments from Labour types might help.........................

But surely Conservatives are going to have to be very, very careful here - because if they now attack Corbyn over IRA etc it may well appear highly inappropriate after what has happened - they may well be accused of exploiting the situation. Which could be a huge negative for them.

So it may well now be much harder for Con to finish the campaign with attacks on Corbyn along these lines.

Having said that, what has happened has obviously massively elevated the issue of security which has to be a strong point for Con.
    Zac Goldsmith's attack on Sadiq Khan linking him with terrorism is a cautionary tale. It cost Zac his 23,000 majority and his reputation.
    Not sure it's quite on the same scale as Corbyn.
    You're right. It isn't. But it illustrates the danger in that line of attack.

I hope Andrew Neil questions him closely on this. I suspect Corbyn will enhance his reputation. We'll see. The more he is seen as he is and not through hostile newspapers and commentators, the better he will do.
    Andrew Neil will ask some pointed questions, as he should. But if he is hostile, it might actually help Corbyn.
    I assume it will be the same setup as with May. Two chairs. No videos. A slower pace for a mainstream audience. Searching questions, giving Corbyn plenty of time to reply.

I think Corbyn will cope well with the questions on policy, costings, and on terrorism.
    I think he will struggle defending Abbott. Also his views on Trident might be problematic.
    If Neil is aggressive, Corbyn will surely struggle VERY badly over terrorism. He appointed McDonnell, as Shadow Chancellor, an avowed Marxist who asked us to "honour the bombs and bullets of the IRA" - bombs and bullets which devastated Manchester and killed kids in Warrington

Fuck it. Why are we even having this debate. Labour is led by evil scum, and that's all there is to it, and they need to be wiped out, not just defeated, annihilated. Nixed. Vapourised. Ended.

TMay is a mediocre fuckwit, but the major party of Opposition is led by nasty, traitorous rats.
    I'd love to see you interviewing Corbyn instead of ANeil! That would be a show.
    kle4 said:

Mark, in all seriousness, what evidence do you have, at all, that the resources of our security services have been impacted by the calling of a general election, which parliament, not May, passed?

Genuinely, why do you even think that? You have outright stated our security services were weakened due to May, and that is a serious allegation.
    Answer: he's a fool.

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

Floater said:

Something like "I condemn all bombings, be they on British soil or not"
    Yes, I think voters are now beginning to firm up their opinions of him now and they will not risk putting Corbyn in charge of our national security once they get to the polling booth
    SeanT said:

Floater said:

I usually agree with you, and admire your sharpness, but you aren't here in the UK.

TMay is all we have. She is in charge. She's all we have got. We cannot trust any other party, certainly not the leadership of Labour, who are actual, terror-loving traitors.

So, when you criticise her, remember that she's our best and only bet.
    We could always call for tim.... oh

Yeah, what you said
    Barnesian said:

SeanT said:

Barnesian said:

surbiton said:

Barnesian said:

RobD said:

Barnesian said:

MikeL said:

Cyclefree said:

I share what @TudorRose wrote on the previous thread about how to tackle Corbyn.

Perhaps some comments from Labour types might help.........................

But surely Conservatives are going to have to be very, very careful here - because if they now attack Corbyn over IRA etc it may well appear highly inappropriate after what has happened - they may well be accused of exploiting the situation. Which could be a huge negative for them.

So it may well now be much harder for Con to finish the campaign with attacks on Corbyn along these lines.

Having said that, what has happened has obviously massively elevated the issue of security which has to be a strong point for Con.
    Zac Goldsmith's attack on Sadiq Khan linking him with terrorism is a cautionary tale. It cost Zac his 23,000 majority and his reputation.
    Not sure it's quite on the same scale as Corbyn.
    You're right. It isn't. But it illustrates the danger in that line of attack.

I hope Andrew Neil questions him closely on this. I suspect Corbyn will enhance his reputation. We'll see. The more he is seen as he is and not through hostile newspapers and commentators, the better he will do.
    Andrew Neil will ask some pointed questions, as he should. But if he is hostile, it might actually help Corbyn.
    I assume it will be the same setup as with May. Two chairs. No videos. A slower pace for a mainstream audience. Searching questions, giving Corbyn plenty of time to reply.

I think Corbyn will cope well with the questions on policy, costings, and on terrorism.
    I think he will struggle defending Abbott. Also his views on Trident might be problematic.
    If Neil is aggressive, Corbyn will surely struggle VERY badly over terrorism. He appointed McDonnell, as Shadow Chancellor, an avowed Marxist who asked us to "honour the bombs and bullets of the IRA" - bombs and bullets which devastated Manchester and killed kids in Warrington

Fuck it. Why are we even having this debate. Labour is led by evil scum, and that's all there is to it, and they need to be wiped out, not just defeated, annihilated. Nixed. Vapourised. Ended.

TMay is a mediocre fuckwit, but the major party of Opposition is led by nasty, traitorous rats.
    I'd love to see you interviewing Corbyn instead of ANeil! That would be a show.
    I think SeanT would lose his temper far quicker than Corbyn :p

chestnut said:

Because the alternative is Labour.

Three people you couldn't trust to organise a cock up in a brothel.

It is that campaign strategy that has halved the Tory lead. Keep up the good work.
    I can't say I've noticed much of a strategy to be honest.

Deep down though, I think most people know it . Even most Labour people know it in the pit of their stomachs. That's why the PLP keep trying to dump him.
  • What May should really have said today .

Talking of unnecessary up pops MarkSenior.

What an absurd post, the idea the PM calling a general election led to a suicide bomber blowing up children in a concert is outrageous
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @RupertMyers: This is important: this escalation of the threat level is not a political decision https://twitter.com/tomboadle/status/867124385773125638

That's pretty unhinged.

Floater said:

Armed military personnel being deployed.

All two of them?
    oh do fuck off
    Fuck off yourself.

It's bullshit and you know it.
    You agree your comment was bullshit - good you aren't a total arse hat then.

Close enough though.
  • surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

surbiton said:

SeanT said:

Who remembers the Dementia Tax? What was that again?

You are losing your marbles.
    I'm trolling you, you disgusting leftwing traitors.

You need to be on the side of Brexit, and the new State of Emergency, and accept, with gladness, that we are now a country shrouded under the icy, tinkling, brilliant rule of Theresa, the Narnian Queen, with her Turkish Delight of Control Taken Back.

There will never again be leftwing government. Scum like you will be turned to STONE.
    My guess is that May will intern people like Gina Miller, Anthony Grayling, George Osborne, David Lammy, if she wins the election.
    Calm down ! We all expect the PM to perform miracles. That is why they feel they have to appear on TV just before the News to look serious.

What else can she do ?
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

Answer: he's a fool.
    In a day of occasionally overheated talk, that's the most extreme overreaction I've seen yet.
  • bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    Sandy

Bizarre. I did the same. As you imply, act in haste, repent at leisure. Five long years in that particular case!
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    surbiton said:

Tomorrow morning I am flying to Germany and returning in the evening. The last thing I
    is more security checks. But I suppose we will have to live with this for some weeks.

I fly home from Vancouver to Heathrow tomorrow night. Am expecting tighter security
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

I've generally subscribed to the idea that people's greatest strength is often, ultimately, their greatest weakness. Decisiveness to arrogance. Caution into indecisiveness. Charm into smarm.

May already saw a torrent of Tory anger flow at her on here over the manifesto for instance. Not the most balanced or unemotional of samples, but she can anger her people, she can make mistakes, and it will come. Sooner than 10 years .
    Yes but in changing tack she also showed she was able to listen, a crucial trait of long-serving leaders
  • MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    kle4 said:

You don't think the security services have extra work to do when May goes off on her daily campaign trips to Wrexham etc ?
    Theresa May is a weirdo. Pure and simple. There it is.
    Scott_P said:

@RupertMyers: This is important: this escalation of the threat level is not a political decision https://twitter.com/tomboadle/status/867124385773125638

Don't let that get in the way of the conspiracy theorists who think May is panicking (even if she is, it doesn't impact the threat level it would seem).
    kle4 said:

chestnut said:

That is a very low bar
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

Well I have a niece in her mid-20s who works for the NHS and lives in Gower the most marginal seat in the country. Three weeks back she was talking in terms of voting for May -over Brexit in essence. I have no idea as to her present intentions but if I subsequently discover that she has voted Tory , she will cease to be a beneficiary of my estate. It would effectively cost her circa £75,000 - though she will never know that because I am saying nothing.
    kle4 said:

That shows there was in impact in the polls, but does it show that it actually impacted the electoral result, when who is to say the polls taken before were accurate, and maybe the result would have more or less occurred anyway?

It's reasonable to conclude that the drift is likely to be the same because the same sampling, same population and same weightings are being used, especially in anonymous online polling.
  • Sean_F said:

That's pretty unhinged.
    In fact, after reading Marks post again its not just unhinged, its down right disgusting. I would of expected better of him. I guess Tim Farron disastrous leadership of the Libdems has effected his critical faculties.

kle4 said:

You don't think the security services have extra work to do when May goes off on her daily campaign trips to Wrexham etc ?
    Implying people are seconded just for the campaign. More likely there are people permanently assigned to her protection detail.

Chameleon said:

Oh I don't know - you might be banned because of your shoes.
    Scott_P said:

The BBC just said on the 10 o'clock news that TM raised the threat level. I bet they won't correct it.
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

Well I have a niece in her mid-20s who works for the NHS and lives in Gower the most marginal seat in the country. Three weeks back she was talking in terms of voting for May -over Brexit in essence. I have no idea as to her present intentions but if I subsequently discover that she has voted Tory , she will cease to be a beneficiary of my estate. It would effectively cost her circa £75,000 - though she will never know that because I am saying nothing.
    How charming.

Sean_F said:

That's pretty unhinged.
    In fact, after reading Marks post again its not just unhinged, its down right disgusting. I would of expected better of him. I guess Tim Farron disastrous leadership of the Libdems has effected his critical faculties.
    I suggest he sticks to Parish council by elections, like most LDs he is clearly not ready for the big time
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

I honestly can't get into the head of someone who places politics above family.
    edited May 2017

kle4 said:

I think that the personal security detail of the Prime Minister going about places is something they are able to do while the services also handle their duty to investigate and prevent threats, and if they could not, they would insist she stay put.

I certainly don't think you can throw around an accusation that directly apportions the blame for the death of children at the PM's door for a decision taken by parliament based on nothing more than your gut feeling that our security services are so woeful they cannot look after the PM and do their job of protecting the rest of us, and so prioritised the latter to the point of not preventing an attack otherwise preventable. Not without evidence beyond your gut.
    Kle4

London is pretty green and, mostly, reasonably clean. NY is exciting, but just doesn't have the space of London (it's built up, not out). The skyscrapers are pretty mind blowing, at first. But then...
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited May 2017
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Don't let that get in the way of the conspiracy theorists who think May is panicking (even if she is, it doesn't impact the threat level it would seem).
    Yes, it's plain silly to think May would have the ability to do this for political reasons, even if she wanted to.

That said, people thinking this is going to majorly impact the election are probably indulging in wishful thinking -- the last two times the level was raised to "Critical", it only lasted a few days before it was lowered again. I think it will only be kept at that level if there's another attack within the next few days, or if there's very solid evidence of a specific attack being planned.

She is dammed for raising it , dammed for not if another attack

Floater said:

Chameleon said:

Oh I don't know - you might be banned because of your shoes.
    I'm a YCCC member, they won't
    bobajobPB said:

Most PMs are, certainly the longest serving ones, Churchill, Thatcher, Blair were not exactly normal
    The BBC have just said TM raised it again. Unbelievable!
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

Is there some insane pb competition to construct the looniest post?

Mark Senior's was good, but this is better.
    @Samfr: Since system introduced in 2006 threat level has been critical twice - after 2006 plane/liquid bomb plot + in 2007 following Glasgow attack.

Should be said that in neither case was there an attack while the level was at critical but in both cases there was a clear threat.

In both previous cases the level was raised to critical for just a few days while the relevant cell of plotters was cleaned up.
    edited May 2017
    RoyalBlue said:

The BBC have just said TM raised it again. Unbelievable!

Fake news. :D
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,576

Chameleon said:

I'm not sure about that.

Joe Root's form has been a bit patchy.

kle4 said:

As PM she goes on regular trips, that does not stop the security services in their work of monitoring terrorists elsewhere, special branch is not GCHQ
  • HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

That's pretty unhinged.
    I suggest he sticks to Parish council by elections, like most LDs he is clearly not ready for the big time
    To be fair, Marks quality of post has been going down hill. They have been interesting previously, but have become more divorced from reality.

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

Is there some insane pb competition to construct the looniest post?

Mark Senior's was good, but this is better.
    justin has form on loony posts.
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

That doesn't show you in an attractive light.
    Chameleon said:

I posted last night that I am due to take my son and 2 of his mates to comic con at the weekend.

First thing this morning one has pulled out as their parents are concerned about safety.

I can understand that but I personally would hate to give them even a small win.
  • TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Floater said:

She is dammed for raising it , dammed for not if another attack

MI5 raised it ?
  • Nigelb said:

Chameleon said:

I'm not sure about that.

Joe Root's form has been a bit patchy.

The best Yorkshire one day batsman probably wont be in the team.
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

A Corbyn government would cost her a lot more than £75k
  • ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

I honestly can't get into the head of someone who places politics above family.
    I'm not sure that the inside of his head would be a very pleasant space, metaphorically speaking of course

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

That's pretty unhinged.
    To be fair, Marks quality of post has been going down hill. They have been interesting previously, but have become more divorced from reality.
    Mark is consumed by hatred, it really is not pretty.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,950
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

Well we needed some light relief today and there it is.
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

That's pretty unhinged.
    Mark is consumed by hatred, it really is not pretty.
    Probably still bitter over the locals.
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,088

So either the guy wasn't a 'lone wolf' after all, or they have strong intelligence reasons for expecting a copycat.
    Just when you thought Milo couldn't be an even bigger dick

Sadly, Ariana Grande is too stupid to wise up and warn her European fans about the real threats to their freedom and their lives. She will remain ferociously pro-immigrant, pro-Islam and anti-America. Makes you wonder whether they bombed to attack her or in solidarity.

https://www.facebook.com/myiannopoulos/posts/919697851501444

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

That's pretty unhinged.
    Yes, the partisan has overtaken the objective
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Heartbreaking interview with relatives of a 15-year-old who's still missing. One suspects the worst if she hasn't got in contact by this point...
    Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

Yes, it's plain silly to think May would have the ability to do this for political reasons, even if she wanted to.

That said, people thinking this is going to majorly impact the election are probably indulging in wishful thinking -- the last two times the level was raised to "Critical", it only lasted a few days before it was lowered again. I think it will only be kept at that level if there's another attack within the next few days, or if there's very solid evidence of a specific attack being planned.
    Indeed. PB is a place of extreme opinion at times, and certainly overreaction, I'm as guilty as any, particularly when it comes to making more of something than is warranted. Now in this case the situation is extremely serious, but that doesn't mean its lasting impact cannot be overstated.

We'll all feel better on the morrow.
    HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

Most PMs are, certainly the longest serving ones, Churchill, Thatcher, Blair were not exactly normal
    I've always been quite comfortable in the idea of a leader who is, at heart, a bit weird. Leaders in history often had to be ruthless bastards to be effective, or else they would have no power and things could get chaotic and even worse (I'm sure there are counter examples). In more civilised times we want and can afford things to be more cuddly, but to take an example, we would, if our TV and Movies are any indication of our moral teachings thesedays, personally criticise someone who put others before their family for instance, but in a political leader, doing so for the public benefit would be an advantage for us, technically.
This discussion has been closed.