Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just to confirm: Friday’s Pre-GE2017 gathering WILL be taking

Comments

• Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Well, after watching Theresa May being interviewed last night I wouldn't want her anywhere near the Brexit negotiations. She is not a clear thinker and she is also easily rattled.

If the Conservatives win the election a much more competent person is needed at the helm to see Britain through the next two years.

Indeed. Really hope after TMay wins, the Tories dump her. She is pretty useless and the Tory party are known for their ruthlessness. Let'see..
    No, after this she will be there for a decade, no one else at the top of the Tory Party comes close, she will get a majority over 100 now and be untouchable, with Brexit and the terrorist threat the country will unite behind her
    After 2015, with Brexit a spectre expected to be defeated, people thought Cameron could rule as long as he wanted to. Our politics is pretty good at limiting even excellent politicians.
    Cameron went because he was too overconfident in calling an EU referendum which he fought against his own party, May is far more cautious and tends to fight battles she knows she can win
    I've generally subscribed to the idea that people's greatest strength is often, ultimately, their greatest weakness. Decisiveness to arrogance. Caution into indecisiveness. Charm into smarm.

May already saw a torrent of Tory anger flow at her on here over the manifesto for instance. Not the most balanced or unemotional of samples, but she can anger her people, she can make mistakes, and it will come. Sooner than 10 years .
    Yes but in changing tack she also showed she was able to listen, a crucial trait of long-serving leaders
    Able to listen Bwaaahhaaa.
    She u turned quicker than Jim Rockford after a twitter and media backlash.
    She shat it.
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    Presumably May and Corbyn will visit Manchester? For all his manifold faults, Corbyn can rally the troops, and might be able to bring some cheer in what is a Corbynista heartland.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

I've voted Labour at every GE since 1983, but the prospect of Diane Abbot being in charge of the security services is in itself reason enough to vote Tory this time round - and I suspect after last night I won't be the only one who thinks that way.

You can still vote labour safely in the knowledge that they have no chance whatsoever of winning, the issue is how big (and undeserved) the tory majority is.
    Its a toss up between wanting to make sure that there is an opposition, and wanting not to prolong the misery of having Corbyn and Abbot etc and the naive hard left controlling the main opposition party.
    Quite a difficult decision. I don't know if I can bring myself to endorse Corbyn for the reasons you describe.
    Yes, took me a lot of agonising, but I finally decided this weekend I will have to vote Tory - and that is my settled decision. I've been posting here off and on since 2005, and I never thought I'd live to become a PB Tory! But there we are.
    You have decided to throw in your lot with the 'lower form of life' .
    He couldn't resist the power of the dark side. :smiley:
    Well I have a niece in her mid-20s who works for the NHS and lives in Gower the most marginal seat in the country. Three weeks back she was talking in terms of voting for May -over Brexit in essence. I have no idea as to her present intentions but if I subsequently discover that she has voted Tory , she will cease to be a beneficiary of my estate. It would effectively cost her circa £75,000 - though she will never know that because I am saying nothing.
    "I am saying nothing" - he says, saying it all over the internet.

OK.

Nuff said.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

I've voted Labour at every GE since 1983, but the prospect of Diane Abbot being in charge of the security services is in itself reason enough to vote Tory this time round - and I suspect after last night I won't be the only one who thinks that way.

You can still vote labour safely in the knowledge that they have no chance whatsoever of winning, the issue is how big (and undeserved) the tory majority is.
    Its a toss up between wanting to make sure that there is an opposition, and wanting not to prolong the misery of having Corbyn and Abbot etc and the naive hard left controlling the main opposition party.
    Quite a difficult decision. I don't know if I can bring myself to endorse Corbyn for the reasons you describe.
    Yes, took me a lot of agonising, but I finally decided this weekend I will have to vote Tory - and that is my settled decision. I've been posting here off and on since 2005, and I never thought I'd live to become a PB Tory! But there we are.
    Well I have a niece in her mid-20s who works for the NHS and lives in Gower the most marginal seat in the country. Three weeks back she was talking in terms of voting for May -over Brexit in essence. I have no idea as to her present intentions but if I subsequently discover that she has voted Tory , she will cease to be a beneficiary of my estate. It would effectively cost her circa £75,000 - though she will never know that because I am saying nothing.
    Is there some insane pb competition to construct the looniest post?

Mark Senior's was good, but this is better.
    It is just a clear statement of my intentions!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645
    edited May 2017

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

Not even close to Mark's. It's a harsh view many might not take, but it is merely a personal matter at least.
  • Options
    RobD said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

justin has form on loony posts.
    At least this one didn't contain a death threat. That could be seen as progress.
  • Options
    valleyboyvalleyboy Posts: 605

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

I honestly can't get into the head of someone who places politics above family.</

Gower is very winnable for Labour and we need every vote. Why anyone in the NHS in Wales votes Tory I just do not understand. I think you should have a word in her ear Justin.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    bobajobPB said:

Presumably May and Corbyn will visit Manchester?

Both were there today
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited May 2017
    Scott_P said:

@RupertMyers: This is important: this escalation of the threat level is not a political decision

I think the logic is pretty simple. The bomber almost certainly had some support, even if it was only transport, and if they can make one bomb they can make more. So until the bomber's associates are all accounted for you have to assume another attack could be imminent. We saw that back in 2005, so it's not an unreasonable assumption.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    Danny565 said:

Heartbreaking interview with relatives of a 15-year-old who's still missing. One suspects the worst if she hasn't got in contact by this point...

There is still hope. One of the missing girls from Barra has now been found to be alive in hospital this evening.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Nigelb said:

Chameleon said:

Without wishing to be unduly cynical, are we in a state of emergency because of credible intelligence, or because TMay wants to be seen to be doing something?

On a similarly related note, in the next week I'm going to two playoff finals, a theme park and a music performance. I do really have a knack for timing, don't I?

I'm at Headingley tomorrow for the England v Saffers match.

I think the biggest thing I have to worry about is the weather.
    I'm not sure about that.

Joe Root's form has been a bit patchy.

The best Yorkshire one day batsman probably wont be in the team.
    Gary Ballance

(I know Bairstow)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited May 2017
    glw said:

Scott_P said:

@RupertMyers: This is important: this escalation of the threat level is not a political decision >

I think the logic is pretty simple. The bomber almost certainly had some support, even if it was only transport, and if they can make one bomb they can make more. So until the bomber's associates are all accounted for you have to assume another attack could be imminent. We saw that back in 2005, so it's not an unreasonable assumption.

May in her statement mentioned possibility of functioning terrorist network. I don't remember on previous occasions there has been any mention of such a thing (albeit I think most people suspect there has to be of some sort of ISIS supporters network).
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    SeanT said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

I honestly can't get into the head of someone who places politics above family.
    If my daughters or nieces or anyone entitled to my humble estate becomes a Marxist or a LibDem or a Flat Earther, I will love them as humans, and as my blood, and they will inherit.
    Unless of course you're a dribbling wreck who has spunked all the inheritance first on nubile hookers and latterly on an aged German matron you have employed to wipe your arse.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    bobajobPB said:

Sandy

Bizarre. I did the same. As you imply, act in haste, repent at leisure. Five long years in that particular case!

There is more that unites us than divides us!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Scott_P said:
    The IRA killed kids too. Didn't they, Jeremy?
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,919
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

What May should really have said today .
    A few weeks ago I called an unnecessary GE for purely partisan reasons on the pretext of needing a strong and stable government . My weak and wobbly campaign has distracted and weakened the resources of our security services and contributed to the deaths of many young people in Manchester . As PM the buck stops at my desk and I will be seeing the Queen to tender my resignation later today .

That's pretty unhinged.
    In fact, after reading Marks post again its not just unhinged, its down right disgusting. I would of expected better of him. I guess Tim Farron disastrous leadership of the Libdems has effected his critical faculties.
    I suggest he sticks to Parish council by elections, like most LDs he is clearly not ready for the big time
    To be fair, Marks quality of post has been going down hill. They have been interesting previously, but have become more divorced from reality.
    Mark is consumed by hatred, it really is not pretty.
    Yep, the fact that he is willing to try and make political capital out of this when everyone else from all sides of the debate is doing their very best to stand above politics really shows what a twisted character he truly is.
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185

Just when you thought Milo couldn't be an even bigger dick

Sadly, Ariana Grande is too stupid to wise up and warn her European fans about the real threats to their freedom and their lives. She will remain ferociously pro-immigrant, pro-Islam and anti-America. Makes you wonder whether they bombed to attack her or in solidarity.

https://www.facebook.com/myiannopoulos/posts/919697851501444

That could easily have just said'

"Me me me me me, me me me me me. Me me me, me me me me me: me" Over and over again.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

Indeed. The idea of disinheriting a loved family member, simply because she takes up a different political opinion--it's freaking weird. If my daughters or nieces or anyone entitled to my humble estate becomes a Marxist or a LibDem or a Flat Earther, I will love them as humans, and as my blood, and they will inherit.

This attitude is bizarre, and spiteful, and really rather sad.
    Agreed. I assume the poster is a spoof.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,932
    edited May 2017

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

I honestly can't get into the head of someone who places politics above family.</

Gower is very winnable for Labour and we need every vote. Why anyone in the NHS in Wales votes Tory I just do not understand. I think you should have a word in her ear Justin.</p>
    Isn't the Welsh Government in charge of the NHS in wales?
    And isn't the Welsh Government a Labour Majority Government ...
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569
    Scott_P said:
    Dicks at the sun putting these two side by side.
    Who cares what he looks like.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

A few weeks ago I called an unnecessary GE for purely partisan reasons on the pretext of needing a strong and stable government . My weak and wobbly campaign has distracted and weakened the resources of our security services and contributed to the deaths of many young people in Manchester . As PM the buck stops at my desk and I will be seeing the Queen to tender my resignation later today .

That's pretty unhinged.
    In fact, after reading Marks post again its not just unhinged, its down right disgusting. I would of expected better of him. I guess Tim Farron disastrous leadership of the Libdems has effected his critical faculties.
    I suggest he sticks to Parish council by elections, like most LDs he is clearly not ready for the big time
    To be fair, Marks quality of post has been going down hill. They have been interesting previously, but have become more divorced from reality.
    Yes, the partisan has overtaken the objective
    NickP can be partisan, heck most Tories on here are partisan, but at its best this site is font of knowledge on everything from dodgy music taste (yes you TSE), unhealthy obsession with all things Roman (you know who you are Mr D) and funny vitriol that occasionally goes to far( our own namesless lothario). Its worth posting and interacting with those of different opinions to expand our on knowledge and understanding.

I hope Mark has the sense to reflect and realise what he posted was bollocks.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    eek said:

You and your facts.
  • Options
    OUT said:

Scott_P said:

twitter.com/hendopolis/status/867128050345005057

Dicks at the sun putting these two side by side.
    Who cares what he looks like.
    Agreed
  • Options
    HaroldOHaroldO Posts: 1,185
    Sean_F said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

That doesn't show you in an attractive light.
    It makes him look like an antagonist in a Dickens novel.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

If she reads PB, does that constitute an electoral offense ?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,943
    OUT said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

murali_s said:

Well, after watching Theresa May being interviewed last night I wouldn't want her anywhere near the Brexit negotiations. She is not a clear thinker and she is also easily rattled.

If the Conservatives win the election a much more competent person is needed at the helm to see Britain through the next two years.

Indeed. Really hope after TMay wins, the Tories dump her. She is pretty useless and the Tory party are known for their ruthlessness. Let'see..
    No, after this she will be there for a decade, no one else at the top of the Tory Party comes close, she will get a majority over 100 now and be untouchable, with Brexit and the terrorist threat the country will unite behind her
    After 2015, with Brexit a spectre expected to be defeated, people thought Cameron could rule as long as he wanted to. Our politics is pretty good at limiting even excellent politicians.
    Cameron went because he was too overconfident in calling an EU referendum which he fought against his own party, May is far more cautious and tends to fight battles she knows she can win
    I've generally subscribed to the idea that people's greatest strength is often, ultimately, their greatest weakness. Decisiveness to arrogance. Caution into indecisiveness. Charm into smarm.

May already saw a torrent of Tory anger flow at her on here over the manifesto for instance. Not the most balanced or unemotional of samples, but she can anger her people, she can make mistakes, and it will come. Sooner than 10 years .
    Yes but in changing tack she also showed she was able to listen, a crucial trait of long-serving leaders
    Able to listen Bwaaahhaaa.
    She u turned quicker than Jim Rockford after a twitter and media backlash.
    She shat it.
    She was right social care needed reform, she just eased the burden a little
  • Options

glw said:

Scott_P said:

@RupertMyers: This is important: this escalation of the threat level is not a political decision >

May in her statement mentioned possibility of functioning terrorist network. I don't remember on previous occasions there has been any mention of such a thing (albeit I think most people suspect there has to be of some sort of ISIS supporters network).
    Didn't she just say that they cannot at this stage rule out he was not working with a wider group of individuals, which given the type of attack is imminently sensible one day after the event?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251

That is just so depressing a comment - 'contributed to the deaths of many young people in Manchester'
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    RobD said:

eek said:

You and your facts.
    Justin is entitled to argue the point with her. Except apparently instead of discussing it, like adults, and maybe realising that two sensible people can come to different conclusions about what's best for Britain, he's just throwing an expensive hissy fit.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    I think if there is a possibility this election could be cancelled .If normal political activity can not be continued and campaigns suspended for over a week and the PM and government having to do it's best to control the situation .
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    Nigelb said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

If she reads PB, does that constitute an electoral offense ?
    It does
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:

@RupertMyers: This is important: this escalation of the threat level is not a political decision https://twitter.com/tomboadle/status/867124385773125638

Don't let that get in the way of the conspiracy theorists who think May is panicking (even if she is, it doesn't impact the threat level it would seem).
    Yes, it's plain silly to think May would have the ability to do this for political reasons, even if she wanted to.

That said, people thinking this is going to majorly impact the election are probably indulging in wishful thinking -- the last two times the level was raised to "Critical", it only lasted a few days before it was lowered again. I think it will only be kept at that level if there's another attack within the next few days, or if there's very solid evidence of a specific attack being planned.
    Indeed. PB is a place of extreme opinion at times, and certainly overreaction, I'm as guilty as any, particularly when it comes to making more of something than is warranted. Now in this case the situation is extremely serious, but that doesn't mean its lasting impact cannot be overstated.

We'll all feel better on the morrow.
    HYUFD said:

bobajobPB said:

Theresa May is a weirdo. Pure and simple. There it is.

Most PMs are, certainly the longest serving ones, Churchill, Thatcher, Blair were not exactly normal
    I've always been quite comfortable in the idea of a leader who is, at heart, a bit weird. Leaders in history often had to be ruthless bastards to be effective, or else they would have no power and things could get chaotic and even worse (I'm sure there are counter examples). In more civilised times we want and can afford things to be more cuddly, but to take an example, we would, if our TV and Movies are any indication of our moral teachings thesedays, personally criticise someone who put others before their family for instance, but in a political leader, doing so for the public benefit would be an advantage for us, technically.
    Yes you need an abnormal level of focus, obsessiveness and ruthlessness to do the top job
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

Would that also be the case if she gave birth to a "bastard"?
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    IanB2 said:

We have to be prepared for another attack. Maybe tonight, maybe tomorrow.

So either the guy wasn't a 'lone wolf' after all, or they have strong intelligence reasons for expecting a copycat.
    As I pointed out this morning an IED is a world away from a rented truck or kitchen knife.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

I think if there is a possibility this election could be cancelled .If normal political activity can not be continued and campaigns suspended for over a week and the PM and government having to do it's best to control the situation .

It will go ahead, just with heightened security, she gets her 100+ majority and we move on
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    kle4 said:

glw said:

Scott_P said:

Didn't she just say that they cannot at this stage rule out he was not working with a wider group of individuals, which given the type of attack is imminently sensible one day after the event?
    Maybe I misheard...but given the deployment of the army as well...we have to think intel suggests there is more going on than previous lone wolf nutters.

Previous attacks it has all been about this is one extremist, we will carry on, no need to change your daily routine or be alarmed. This was different.
  • Options

Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Sean_F said:

That's pretty unhinged.
    Mark is consumed by hatred, it really is not pretty.
    Yep, the fact that he is willing to try and make political capital out of this when everyone else from all sides of the debate is doing their very best to stand above politics really shows what a twisted character he truly is.
    Well not everyone, and the politicisation to a certain degree has been defended, but it was a particularly horrible comment, and baseless to boot, mere assumption yet making horrendous accusations.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Chameleon said:

Without wishing to be unduly cynical, are we in a state of emergency because of credible intelligence, or because TMay wants to be seen to be doing something?

On a similarly related note, in the next week I'm going to two playoff finals, a theme park and a music performance. I do really have a knack for timing, don't I?

I'm at Headingley tomorrow for the England v Saffers match.

I think the biggest thing I have to worry about is the weather.
    I'm not sure about that.

Joe Root's form has been a bit patchy.

The best Yorkshire one day batsman probably wont be in the team.
    Gary Ballance

(I know Bairstow)
    Third best Mr Ballance.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Yorkcity said:

The writs have been moved, an election has to take place.
  • Options

I suspect there are already some forensics about the bomb that point to it not being something improvised by one guy in his shed, like fireworks, black powder, or the like.
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312
    bobajobPB said:

Presumably May and Corbyn will visit Manchester? For all his manifold faults, Corbyn can rally the troops, and might be able to bring some cheer in what is a Corbynista heartland.

What are you on?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    kle4 said:

glw said:

Scott_P said:

She also stressed that it was being raised "for the time being", which to me suggests she doesn't think it likely to last that long. Though, of course, even if privately the police think it's more serious, she may be deliberately trying to play it down to prevent a public panic.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

It will go ahead, just with heightened security, she gets her 100+ majority and we move on
    I don't think it will be, but what is the process for such a move. There is no Parliament. So cancelling the election will just mean there is no new Parliament.
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

Sandy

Bizarre. I did the same. As you imply, act in haste, repent at leisure. Five long years in that particular case!

Indeed. I don't know if you saw my post the other evening but the hatchet was buried from my point of view many months ago. I probably went a bit far with the knuckle dragging stuff. Sorry.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

I guess I'd say if you need residential care at the end, then under the present system, you may only have 23 k left.

Your niece needs the Tory Govt to make sure you have the full 75 k to give here.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Blimey.Just blimey.

Let's get this sttaight:Mrs May is being criticised because the security level has been increaed 24 hours aftern a deadly and sophisticated terrorist attack?

Really?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,378
    SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

You can still voif I can bring myself to endorse Corbyn for the reasons you describe.
    If my daughters or nieces or anyone entitled to my humble estate becomes a Marxist or a LibDem or a Flat Earther, I will love them as humans, and as my blood, and they will inherit.
    Unless of course you're a dribbling wreck who has spunked all the inheritance first on nubile hookers and latterly on an aged German matron you have employed to wipe your arse.
    I hope to die of a cerebral hemmorhage, during fantastically satisfying, very animalistic coition, while still in my late middle aged prime.
    And there we were, thinking you had another couple of books in you...
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

I don't think it will be, but what is the process for such a move. There is no Parliament. So cancelling the election will just mean there is no new Parliament.
    HM takes over and all legislation henceforth by Order-in-Council.

(Note - I am not a constitutional lawyer).
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

That's unusually unpleasant, even by your standards you contemptible shred of a man
  • Options

Blimey.Just blimey.

Let's get this sttaight:Mrs May is being criticised because the security level has been increaed 24 hours aftern a deadly and sophisticated terrorist attack?

Really?

Yup.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

HM takes over and all legislation henceforth by Order-in-Council.

(Note - I am not a constitutional lawyer).
    She may have to appoint regional governors.. to keep things running smoothly :smiley:
  • Options
    valleyboy said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

Gower is very winnable for Labour and we need every vote. Why anyone in the NHS in Wales votes Tory I just do not understand. I think you should have a word in her ear Justin.</p>
    I thought Labour votes only cost three quid
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

You can still voif I can bring myself to endorse Corbyn for the reasons you describe.
    I hope to die of a cerebral hemmorhage, during fantastically satisfying, very animalistic coition, while still in my late middle aged prime.
    And there we were, thinking you had another couple of books in you...
    It'll be his unfinished work. A best seller!
  • Options
    Didn't the americans hold a presidential election during the american civil war?

I've often wondered how free and fair a process it was.
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    edited May 2017
    Time to take the gloves off...it is often stated that MI5 have hundreds if not 1000s on their watch list, but do not have sufficient resources to track them all. So send every one of them an email to pop down to the local police station for a friendly and voluntary chat. Inform them that they are are on a watch list and with immediate effect they are banned from attending certain events, mixing with certain individuals, and have to submit a weekly log of their movements to MI5. Then tag them with a RFID chip like they have on dogs. RfID scanners to be used at all airports, train stations , events etc to look for chipped suspects. Providing they have logged their movements in advance and expect to be regularly and 'randomly' searched then no problem.

Meanwhile everyone who does not cooperate to be rounded up and given the same treatnent but also given a gps tracker that must be carried with them at all times to allow active tracking. Tracker can be removed for activities like swimming etc...providing notified in advance. Unauthorised removal of tracker to result in arrest and fixing of unremoveable bracelet.

That should hopefully balance security with liberty....
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

She also stressed that it was being raised "for the time being", which to me suggests she doesn't think it likely to last that long. Though, of course, even if privately the police think it's more serious, she may be deliberately trying to play it down to prevent a public panic.

I would take "for the time being" quite literally, it almost certainly means "until the police have rounded up his associates". Once the police are confident they have them all I would expect the threat level to go back down.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

So either the guy wasn't a 'lone wolf' after all, or they have strong intelligence reasons for expecting a copycat.
    As I pointed out this morning an IED is a world away from a rented truck or kitchen knife.
    I imagine an IED merely entails a web search and a couple of weeks' work deploying basic DIY skills on things not that hard to obtain on the internet or elsewhere, and could therefore quite easily be the work of an enterprising "lone wolf". I am not going to attract the attention of GCHQ by testing the web search part of this theory.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

Is it bad that I could imagine Sean doing the latter without actually needing care ...
  • Options
    glw said:

Danny565 said:

I would take "for the time being" quite literally, it almost certainly means "until the police have rounded up his associates". Once the police are confident they have them all I would expect the threat level to go back down.
    Will we ever see the threat level at "low"? A depressing thought.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261

Blimey.Just blimey.

Really?

I know right.

I take the view if it's raised they have genuine intelligence to justify it, you can't raise it willy-nilly, a lot of resources have to be assigned and deployed.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

Indeed but May has not gone this far to go back to what she had before it will go ahead, we 'don't cower in the face of terror' etc even if there have to be armed police outside polling stations
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    glw said:

I suspect there are already some forensics about the bomb that point to it not being something improvised by one guy in his shed, like fireworks, black powder, or the like.
    It typically will not be the bomb maker who makes the attack
  • Options
    I reckon that's it for the week personally.

Campaigns always resume more slowly than we'd like here. Will it be allowed by the weekend :o ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Didn't the americans hold a presidential election during the american civil war?

It wasn't.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I reckon that's it for the week personally.

Campaigns always resume more slowly than we'd like here. Will it be allowed by the weekend :o ?

Won't the local campaigning ramp up much faster than the national campaign?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    edited May 2017
    glw said:

Danny565 said:

The only person on the open electoral register in the UK with the name of the alleged attacker lives in Manchester with two other people at the same address. Assuming it is him, I would expect the Police will have them already, or soon.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

They did.

We held a general election during the second world war.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

TOPPING said:

IanB2 said:

I imagine an IED merely entails a web search and a couple of weeks' work deploying basic DIY skills on things not that hard to obtain on the internet or elsewhere, and could therefore quite easily be the work of an enterprising "lone wolf". I am not going to attract the attention of GCHQ by testing the web search part of this theory.
    Plenty about this MO is more complicated than finding it on the internet.

Please don't Google it!!!
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

glw said:

Danny565 said:

The only person on the open electoral register in the UK with the same name as the alleged attacker lives in Manchester with two other people at the same address. Assuming it is him, I would the Police will have them already, or soon.
    Given you know this, I bloody well hope the police already know it! :p
  • Options
    RobD said:

glw said:

Danny565 said:

How many years has it been at severe? I cannot imagine it ever being lower than moderate, if it ever gets that far.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    They should everybody else has to carry on and go to work .If it is that bad call the election off.
  • Options

kle4 said:

It wasn't.
    I am stunned!
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

RobD said:
    They should everybody else has to carry on and go to work .If it is that bad call the election off.
    How? What is the mechanism to cancel an election? there would simply be no Parliament if there wasn't an election. The deed is done, as it were.
  • Options
    RobD said:

glw said:

Danny565 said:

Not whilst Ireland isn't united.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

kle4 said:

glw said:

Scott_P said:

Maybe I misheard...but given the deployment of the army as well...we have to think intel suggests there is more going on than previous lone wolf nutters.

Previous attacks it has all been about this is one extremist, we will carry on, no need to change your daily routine or be alarmed. This was different.
    Sky news earlier was all about loan individual blah blah blah.

I would be amazed if there was not (at least) a cell providing support.

Someone will typically be around to offer moral support as doubt may creep in.

Where did he form his world view and who did the planning and reconnaissance - how did he get there on the night.....

Lots of questions

• Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

glw said:

Danny565 said:

How many years has it been at severe? I cannot imagine it ever being lower than moderate, if it ever gets that far.
    A table at the bottom here - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UK_Threat_Levels

Must say, BIKINI alert level sounds much better.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

RobD said:
    Maybe it'll be wrapped up in a day or two - bit early to be calling things off, never mind the hows of that occurring.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

RobD said:
    Time heals. The nation feels raw right now. Of course the families will be affected for ever but those not directly involved will move on.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Floater said:

Yep, that's certainly the worry.

They'll have analysed the remnants of the device by now, and be able to tell from components/design/construction whether it was built by an experienced bomb-maker, or a relative novice.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793

Blimey.Just blimey.

Really?

I'm surprised that people are surprised.

This was clearly a VERY sophisticated attack - The first one since 2005 - The security services would be showing a crass dereliction of their duty if they didn't raise the security threat to it's highest level in light of this.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,226
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

glw said:

Danny565 said:

The only person on the open electoral register in the UK with the same name as the alleged attacker lives in Manchester with two other people at the same address. Assuming it is him, I would the Police will have them already, or soon.
    When CBS released the name I googled it this morning, and it was about the third or fourth item on the search. I would expect our security services to be rather more skilled at such things than me. Particularly as the News report said MI5 already had him on their list of people to watch!
  • Options
    saddosaddo Posts: 534
    Floater said:

glw said:

You kind of sense the BBC are trying to down play things by sticking to IED as the bomb description. As though you can just go down a shop and buy a standard off the shelf high explosive nail bomb that fits in a rucksack
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Yorkcity said:

RobD said:
    Maybe it'll be wrapped up in a day or two - bit early to be calling things off, never mind the hows of that occurring.
    It won't be, campaigning will resume at the weekend under heightened security, though I doubt even ISIS can be bothered to assassinate Corbyn, Farron and Nuttall
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Charles said:

That's unusually unpleasant, even by your standards you contemptible shred of a man
    Mark Senior and reality haven't been on speaking terms for quite a while....
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    SeanT said:

glw said:

All indications I've read say that this was a sophisticated bomb, cleverly designed for maximum lethality, and ISIS would not waste a talented bomb-maker in a suicide bid.

So, presumably, the ISIS bomb-maker is still out there, and MI5 don't know who or where he is, and he is expected to attack again, soon, before the security forces solve the puzzle.

This explains the Critical rating. TMay had, literally, no choice.
    As others have said, TMay is just the messenger viz. the threat level.
  • Options
    We don't need any campaigning before June 8th technically. But we do need the election.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

glw said:

Danny565 said:

When CBS released the name I googled it this morning, and it was about the third or fourth item on the search. I would expect our security services to be rather more skilled at such things than me. Particularly as the News report said MI5 already had him on their list of people to watch!
    Apparently the name was leaked by our helpful friends in US intelligence.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

kle4 said:

They did.

When?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,581
    bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

Sandy

Indeed. I don't know if you saw my post the other evening but the hatchet was buried from my point of view many months ago. I probably went a bit far with the knuckle dragging stuff. Sorry.
    Thanks. I did see you earlier post. And I'm sorry for snapping at you in the past. It's the risk we all run as a result of debating politics.
  • Options

kle4 said:

They did.

When?
    5th July 1945. WW2 ended 2nd September 1945
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Blimey.Just blimey.

Really?

I'm surprised that people are surprised.

This was clearly a VERY sophisticated attack - The first one since 2005 - The security services would be showing a crass dereliction of their duty if they didn't raise the security threat to it's highest level in light of this.
    Well exactly. No matter if there emerge any serious or difficult questions for anybody, of any station, in all this, that decision seems pretty inevitable and unquestionable.
  • Options
    edited May 2017

kle4 said:

They did.

When?
    July 1945, WW2 did not end until August and the surrender of Japan
  • Options

bobajobPB said:

bobajobPB said:

Sandy

Thanks. I did see you earlier post. And I'm sorry for snapping at you in the past. It's the risk we all run as a result of debating politics.
    The prospect of an AV debate is enough to get anyone's hackles up.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    SeanT said:

glw said:

All indications I've read say that this was a sophisticated bomb, cleverly designed for maximum lethality, and ISIS would not waste a talented bomb-maker in a suicide bid.

So, presumably, the ISIS bomb-maker is still out there, and MI5 don't know who or where he is, and he is expected to attack again, soon, before the security forces solve the puzzle.

This explains the Critical rating. TMay had, literally, no choice.
    Yep.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

same as it is now?
  • Options
    glw said:

A non-improvised IED? Paradox time.

The Mirror agrees with you, though: "Manchester suicide bomber's IED was 'sophisticated kilo of explosives packed with nuts, bolts and screws - and he couldn't have built it alone'"

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/manchester-suicide-bombers-ied-sophisticated-10486127
  • Options
    Floater said:

Historically with the sorts of IRA, PLO, Red Brigade type of terrorist who often had nation state support that was true. With suicide bombers it ranges from total idiots, like in Glasgow, who appear to know nothing about explosives and die in their attack, to people who are carrying more sophisticated bombs made by others. That's why the forensics are so important to get ASAP, as the explosives and sophistication are a good clue as to whether it's Dave in his shed and he's now dead, or Mohammed carrying a bomb made by others.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Yorkcity said:

I agree but if they keep suspending any election activity for any length of time .They undermine their case that we do not change how we live.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Penddu said:

Time to take the gloves off...it is often stated that MI5 have hundreds if not 1000s on their watch list, but do not have sufficient resources to track them all. So send every one of them an email to pop down to the local police station for a friendly and voluntary chat. Inform them that they are are on a watch list and with immediate effect they are banned from attending certain events, mixing with certain individuals, and have to submit a weekly log of their movements to MI5. Then tag them with a RFID chip like they have on dogs. RfID scanners to be used at all airports, train stations , events etc to look for chipped suspects. Providing they have logged their movements in advance and expect to be regularly and 'randomly' searched then no problem.

Meanwhile everyone who does not cooperate to be rounded up and given the same treatnent but also given a gps tracker that must be carried with them at all times to allow active tracking. Tracker can be removed for activities like swimming etc...providing notified in advance. Unauthorised removal of tracker to result in arrest and fixing of unremoveable bracelet.

That should hopefully balance security with liberty....

Most already have these tracking devices. They are called mobile phones.
This discussion has been closed.