Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Just to confirm: Friday’s Pre-GE2017 gathering WILL be taking

123457»

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,264
    You'd also think MI5 would cross-check their list of people of interest - which we all understand is too many to actively monitor - with passenger lists from places where ISIS has a strong presence, like Libya. There some obvious lines of enquiry that I'd expect various journalists soon to start digging into here?
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    RobD said:

Ave_it said:

Good to know the PB meet is going ahead!

Are you going Sunil? I will be there!

And at Depeche Mode 3 June 2017!
    Taking a break from your tireless campaigning in Bootle?
    We are targeting Liverpool Riverside instead! Change of scenery!
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Didn't the americans hold a presidential election during the american civil war?

I've often wondered how free and fair a process it was.

They did.

We held a general election during the second world war.
    When?
    July 1945, WW2 did not end until August and the surrender of Japan
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

Didn't the americans hold a presidential election during the american civil war?

They did.

When?
    But the 1940 GE was cancelled.

Putting my tinfoil hat on for a second, with no MPs and soldiers on the street, isn't this the perfect environment to launch a coup? Could we see Generalissimo May suspending democracy to keep us all safe? :)
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Y0kel said:

Abedi's brother definitely travelled to interesting areas.

Another one who claims they like going on safaris....
    "Safari" in Swahili means just plain "journey", so it's probably true.

If I am getting that pedantic, def time for bed.
  • Options
    TonyTony Posts: 159
    Starting to feel a modicum of sympathy for trump, there seems an open line from intelligence community to the media across the pond. Really unhelpful.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    HYUFD said:
    Interesting...yet another uni drop-out.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    glw said:

When Trump moans about FBI and CIA leaking, he's got a point, they seemed to provide a running commentary for the US press.
    Yes. Every step of this investigations has been leaked by them, and Trump is safely away in the mid-east.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

It is any citizen of sound minds right to settle their will as they choose.

I wouldn't do the same, but there is no right to inherit.

Absolutely, on both counts. I'm always interested in motivations.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,264
    Ishmael_Z said:

Y0kel said:

That well known hobby of camel spotting?

Anyway Australia has more camels than any other country.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

They did.

When?
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

They did.

When?

Putting my tinfoil hat on for a second, with no MPs and soldiers on the street, isn't this the perfect environment to launch a coup? Could we see Generalissimo May suspending democracy to keep us all safe? :)
    She will allow the election to go ahead but all voters suspected of voting for the treacherous, terrorist supporting Corbyn will be interned shortly afterwards as threats to national security
  • Options
    He looks like he should have been on the inbetweeners there, shows you can never always tell where evil lies
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

They did.

When?
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

They did.

When?

She will allow the election to go ahead but all voters suspected of voting for the treacherous, terrorist supporting Corbyn will be interned shortly afterwards as threats to national security
    Those who did not vote Corbyn but did not vote for May, on the other hand, will merely be placed on a list of national deviants.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

They did.

When?
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

They did.

When?

Those who did not vote Corbyn but did not vote for May, on the other hand, will merely be placed on a list of national deviants.
    Ah, I must find that old facebook post from a mad corbynista about making Tory voters identifiable so cuts only apply to them.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

They did.

When?
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

They did.

When?

For a safe and secure society.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

They did.

When?
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

They did.

When?

Or if you voted for Farron or Nuttall sent to your local mental institution
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Yes. Every step of this investigations has been leaked by them, and Trump is safely away in the mid-east.

I'm sure the US is doing its own investigation, but I would guess the names are first coming from the UK as we're the ones on the ground, and within hours some berks are telling the press.

Trump should fire a few more people when he gets back.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269

Just when you thought Milo couldn't be an even bigger dick

Sadly, Ariana Grande is too stupid to wise up and warn her European fans about the real threats to their freedom and their lives. She will remain ferociously pro-immigrant, pro-Islam and anti-America. Makes you wonder whether they bombed to attack her or in solidarity.

https://www.facebook.com/myiannopoulos/posts/919697851501444

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bad_Milo!
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    RobD said:

glw said:

When Trump moans about FBI and CIA leaking, he's got a point, they seemed to provide a running commentary for the US press.
    The question is then why they are doing it and what do they think that they'll gain by it. There a few lines here but none paint the leakers in particularly attractive light.
  • Options
    RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

They did.

When?
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

They did.

When?

For a safe and secure society.
    Strong and stable
  • Options
    glw said:

I'm sure the US is doing its own investigation, but I would guess the names are first coming from the UK as we're the ones on the ground, and within hours some berks are telling the press.

Trump should fire a few more people when he gets back.
    I think that was me that said that :p
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    matt said:

The question is then why they are doing it and what do they think that they'll gain by it. There a few lines here but none paint the leakers in particularly attractive light.

Honestly it seems to be cultural, legally and security wise the UK and US should be on a par, but US intelligence and security people seem far more inclined to do off-the-record briefing.

• Options
    TMA1TMA1 Posts: 225
    Ishmael_Z said:

Ave_it said:

The election should proceed on 8 June

There is no real need for active campaigning before then

As someone said earlier on here GE1945 was contested during a war

Only technically: VE day 8 May, GE 5 July, VJ day 14 August. My (English) mum says that VE day felt like the end of the war for practical purposes, VJ just a footnote (quite an interesting footnote if you were interested in physics).
    Well the Japanese were not about to either invade the UK or drop V2s on us, so there was no practical impediment to holding an election. I suppose a Tommy sweating in the Imjin might not agree with a civvy sat at home.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,269
    IanB2 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Y0kel said:

That well known hobby of camel spotting?

Anyway Australia has more camels than any other country.
    All immigrants from the Mid East!
  • Options
    matt said:

RobD said:

glw said:

Baffling. Trump is right to be critical of them.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    IanB2 said:

You'd also think MI5 would cross-check their list of people of interest - which we all understand is too many to actively monitor - with passenger lists from places where ISIS has a strong presence, like Libya. There some obvious lines of enquiry that I'd expect various journalists soon to start digging into here?

Too busy doorstepping victims' relatives and just discharged wounded.
  • Options
  • Options
    RobD said:

matt said:

RobD said:

glw said:

That's the thing about Trump - occasionally, he does have a point. Rarely, and it doesn't excuse all the other crap he does, but he does occasionally highlight a genuine problem.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
  • Options
    Well, they did it at the Cadaver Synod with Pope Formosus.
  • Options
    Floater said:
    Sadly so it appears
  • Options

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

They did.

When?
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

They did.

When?

Why should we not have more armed police as well as soldiers. The French have armed police, armed CRS poised in their barracks and armed soldiers on the street. You can go to nice quiet Madeira and see armed police women even.
    In our case military personnel are being deployed to 'key sites' rather than 'on the streets'.
    If you care to look we have been having armed soldiers guarding bases and dockyards and nuclear power stations for quite some time.
    Sorry to disappoint but still no coup. 'Coup' being a much overused word these days.
  • Options
    BlueberryBlueberry Posts: 408
    I wonder if there'll still army on the streets on polling day. Perhaps even at polling stations. Wouldn't be surprised to see them at London train stations tomorrow. Last time we had the army on the streets was London Olympics I think, but that was totally different - to cover for G4S.
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

matt said:

RobD said:

glw said:

That's the thing about Trump - occasionally, he does have a point. Rarely, and it doesn't excuse all the other crap he does, but he does occasionally highlight a genuine problem.
    He highlighted problems all through his campaign. It is why he won. Hilary's untrustworthiness, the failure of neo-Liberalism to deal with te GFC, immigrants depressing wages, etc.
    His solutions, however, are invariably batshit crazy!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
  • Options
    RobD said:

Filthy foreign examples.

Oliver Cromwell, Henry Ireton and John Bradshaw will do.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,916
    Charles said:

SeanT said:

Can I please crave some understanding from PB-ers

I've been banned from Twitter by my girlfriend. She's a fierce 21 year old Corbynista, and she hates my right wing views, even as we have lots of fun. She's told me she can't continue to go out with me, if I publicly air my vile, Thatcherite opinions, and, like the French at Dien Bien Phu, I have folded pathetically, and agreed. Because she is absurdly beautiful and sexy, and I am a sad pussywhipped middle aged man in a swoon. Oh god. And she will probably dump me in a week, anyway.

So I am afraid I might be overly vocal on here, for a while, until I find somewhere else to go. Or she chucks me.

Phew. Sorry. Had to share that. Apols.

Isn't that what @isam calls "humblebragging"?
    Pretty much!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Scott_P said:

twitter.com/wikiguido/status/867150374062477313

No it is definitely because May needs to scare people in order to win the GE....say the cult members.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

Filthy foreign examples.

Well, they still deserve a fair trial, and I don't think those three got that! :p
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Just want to clear a couple of things up:

1. Both Abedi and his brother were subject to files due to their potential sympathies and holidays.

2. On the IS claim, honestly hard to know, though viable, but its first channel of release was Nashir which historically was a known organ of record on claims to networked & remote control IS actions.

• Options
    Totally off topic and trivial in comparison, big Sam has quit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/05/23/sam-allardyce-quits-crystal-palace-manager/
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Filthy foreign examples.

Well, they still deserve a fair trial, and I don't think those three got that! :p
    And Formosus did?! Audi alteram partem. :)
  • Options
    TMA1 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

They did.

When?
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

They did.

When?

Why should we not have more armed police as well as soldiers. The French have armed police, armed CRS poised in their barracks and armed soldiers on the street. You can go to nice quiet Madeira and see armed police women even.
    In our case military personnel are being deployed to 'key sites' rather than 'on the streets'.
    If you care to look we have been having armed soldiers guarding bases and dockyards and nuclear power stations for quite some time.
    Sorry to disappoint but still no coup. 'Coup' being a much overused word these days.
    Because they cost a fortune to train, and we have been told we need to cut the Police budget. As ever it is a political choice. One made partially by TMay in her 6 years as Home Secretary and year as PM. She was deriding Labour for wanting 10000 extra officers. It is a choice.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    TO go back to the previous thread I don't see how we can have many more days like today. Mrs May has been all over the news today and other party leaders nowhere - and it hardly seems possible that the party political aspects can be divorced from the governmental.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,046
    HYUFD said:

Floater said:
    Sadly so it appears
    Is there a link to Mr Craigie's FB account?

• Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

Filthy foreign examples.

And Formosus did?! Audi alteram partem. :)
    Yeah, fair 'n balanced, I'm told.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

HYUFD said:

Floater said:
    Sadly so it appears

It looks like made-up bollox to me -- I can’t find any record of such an individual as Alister Craigie.
  • Options
    Floater said:

glw said:

Floater said:

It typically will not be the bomb maker who makes the attack

Historically with the sorts of IRA, PLO, Red Brigade type of terrorist who often had nation state support that was true. With suicide bombers it ranges from total idiots, like in Glasgow, who appear to know nothing about explosives and die in their attack, to people who are carrying more sophisticated bombs made by others. That's why the forensics are so important to get ASAP, as the explosives and sophistication are a good clue as to whether it's Dave in his shed and he's now dead, or Mohammed carrying a bomb made by others.
    No, look at Iraq as an example - the bomb makers are to valuable to use as expendable foot soldiers
    Strange how the leaders of these terrorist organisations choose not to strap a vest on themselves and lead from the front.
    Even stranger that the sad oiks who are being persuaded to take one for the intifada haven't cottoned on either.
    ''Abdul... Unfortunately the rise of the Caliphate isn't going too well... we need a pointless sacrifice.... Abdul... I want you to grab a vest... nip across to Manchester... and don't some back... Goodbye Abdul.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Posted this way back on 25th March 2016 when there was much talk of hundreds of Jihadis returning from Syria.

This may or may not have a direct relation to this terrorist incident but its an indication that Libya was a place to be wary of:

'Ignore the Islamist component in Libya at your peril. That country has been churning out dangerous people for decades who are very prominent Jihadis for hire and is a very important link in the current IS European campaign.

People trained by a key IS sub group HQ'd in Libya are in the EU, now. I'd be as worried by those 25 or so a much as the rest of the reported 400.'

• Options
    SaltireSaltire Posts: 525

HYUFD said:

Floater said:
    Sadly so it appears

It looks like made-up bollox to me -- I can’t find any record of such an individual as Alister Craigie.
    I'm not on Facebook but did find this:

https://en-gb.facebook.com/alisteralbert.craigie
  • Options
    Saltire said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:
    Sadly so it appears

Not the same, look at when the profile pic was last updated.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,916
    Y0kel said:

Posted this way back on 25th March 2016 when there was much talk of hundreds of Jihadis returning from Syria.

This may or may not have a direct relation to this terrorist incident but its an indication that Libya was a place to be wary of:

'Ignore the Islamist component in Libya at your peril. That country has been churning out dangerous people for decades who are very prominent Jihadis for hire and is a very important link in the current IS European campaign.

People trained by a key IS sub group HQ'd in Libya are in the EU, now. I'd be as worried by those 25 or so a much as the rest of the reported 400.'

https://youtu.be/pA8nABHLQQA
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

TO go back to the previous thread I don't see how we can have many more days like today. Mrs May has been all over the news today and other party leaders nowhere - and it hardly seems possible that the party political aspects can be divorced from the governmental.

I'm thinking of starting a spoof facebook rumour that PMs should go round with a black bag over their head at times like this.

To be matched by the Leader of the Opposition walking round in his underpants.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Saltire said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:
    Sadly so it appears

Since I don't have a Facebook account I can't that is why I wasn't sure if it was the same.

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Scott_P said:
    The IRA killed kids too. Didn't they, Jeremy?
    And so did the RAF when launching missiles at people falsely identified as legitimate enemy targets.
  • Options
    Saltire said:

RobD said:

Saltire said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:
    Sadly so it appears

Since I don't have a Facebook account I can't that is why I wasn't sure if it was the same.

Ah, my apologies!
  • Options
    New thread!
  • Options
    RobD said:

Saltire said:

RobD said:

Saltire said:

HYUFD said:

Floater said:
    Sadly so it appears

Ah, my apologies!
    No worries, the only person of that name I could find does live in Dundee so it is possibly is true having now looked at the comments of the original tweet.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

RobD said:

matt said:

RobD said:

glw said:

He highlighted problems all through his campaign. It is why he won. Hilary's untrustworthiness, the failure of neo-Liberalism to deal with te GFC, immigrants depressing wages, etc.
    His solutions, however, are invariably batshit crazy!
    I think that is fair comment.
    But to set against it there is all this Russian business and his administration choices are hardly inspiring.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

I've voted Labour at every GE since 1983, but the prospect of Diane Abbot being in charge of the security services is in itself reason enough to vote Tory this time round - and I suspect after last night I won't be the only one who thinks that way.

You can still vote labour safely in the knowledge that they have no chance whatsoever of winning, the issue is how big (and undeserved) the tory majority is.
    Its a toss up between wanting to make sure that there is an opposition, and wanting not to prolong the misery of having Corbyn and Abbot etc and the naive hard left controlling the main opposition party.
    Quite a difficult decision. I don't know if I can bring myself to endorse Corbyn for the reasons you describe.
    Yes, took me a lot of agonising, but I finally decided this weekend I will have to vote Tory - and that is my settled decision. I've been posting here off and on since 2005, and I never thought I'd live to become a PB Tory! But there we are.
    You have decided to throw in your lot with the 'lower form of life' .
    He couldn't resist the power of the dark side. :smiley:
    Well I have a niece in her mid-20s who works for the NHS and lives in Gower the most marginal seat in the country. Three weeks back she was talking in terms of voting for May -over Brexit in essence. I have no idea as to her present intentions but if I subsequently discover that she has voted Tory , she will cease to be a beneficiary of my estate. It would effectively cost her circa £75,000 - though she will never know that because I am saying nothing.
    Is there some insane pb competition to construct the looniest post?

Mark Senior's was good, but this is better.
    It is just a clear statement of my intentions!
    If she reads PB, does that constitute an electoral offense ?
    It does
    But she would have to recognise me on here for that to be so! I could always deny any intent to bequeath her anything!
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

justin124 said:

RobD said:

justin124 said:

nielh said:

I've voted Labour at every GE since 1983, but the prospect of Diane Abbot being in charge of the security services is in itself reason enough to vote Tory this time round - and I suspect after last night I won't be the only one who thinks that way.

You can still vote labour safely in the knowledge that they have no chance whatsoever of winning, the issue is how big (and undeserved) the tory majority is.
    Its a toss up between wanting to make sure that there is an opposition, and wanting not to prolong the misery of having Corbyn and Abbot etc and the naive hard left controlling the main opposition party.
    Quite a difficult decision. I don't know if I can bring myself to endorse Corbyn for the reasons you describe.
    Yes, took me a lot of agonising, but I finally decided this weekend I will have to vote Tory - and that is my settled decision. I've been posting here off and on since 2005, and I never thought I'd live to become a PB Tory! But there we are.
    You have decided to throw in your lot with the 'lower form of life' .
    He couldn't resist the power of the dark side. :smiley:
    Well I have a niece in her mid-20s who works for the NHS and lives in Gower the most marginal seat in the country. Three weeks back she was talking in terms of voting for May -over Brexit in essence. I have no idea as to her present intentions but if I subsequently discover that she has voted Tory , she will cease to be a beneficiary of my estate. It would effectively cost her circa £75,000 - though she will never know that because I am saying nothing.
    Would that also be the case if she gave birth to a "bastard"?
    I have previously removed another niece from my estate for that reason.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    bobajobPB said:

The PB Tories, and Sean, and - bizarrely - Cyclefree seem to have take leave of their senses today.

Corbyn is shite. He is a deluded old trot. But he has sod all to do with Manchester. Linking him with it because of the pro-IRA comments he has made in the distant past is utterly stupid, either from the media, or the Tory party itself.

May is going to win big anyway. Don't worry.

I have not linked Corbyn with Manchester.

I do question - and did so long before yesterday's tragedy - his judgment and, in particular, his judgment in thinking Abbott is fit to be Home Secretary.

I have said ever since he was a candidate for the Labour leadership that he lacks a moral compass. My views on him have not changed because of Manchester.

It is entirely legitimate to ask of a candidate for PM whether his previously expressed views and actions and failures to act - especially for someone whose USP is meant to be his consistently held principles - show him to have the right character and judgment for PM, especially with regard to security issues.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,202
    murali_s said:

RobD said:

bobajobPB said:

For crying out loud. I am on here dissing the boring, entitled, anti-meritocratic monarchy as "Britain's richest welfare recipients", from time to time. I guess you want to strap on the jack boots Rob and march me to the scaffold (at the Tower, naturally) ?

That's fine, but Abbott is in the record wishing for the defeat of the British, and victory for the IRA.
    FFS Does anyone take Abbott seriously? She's significantly out of her depth. Can't stand that woman!
    She is the official Opposition's candidate for Home Secretary, the person who would be in charge of those services charged with protecting us from events such as Manchester and Westminster and 7/7, agencies she has publicly sneered at.

I am not as sanguine as you are at that prospect, even if she is an idiot.

And it worries me that so many want to go soft on a party and its leader who think that this is at all acceptable. All this talk of good taste is cover for fear that the frankly childish and morally repulsive decisions made by the Labour party are going to have some light shed on them, not before time.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,280
    On the restart of the campaign Theresa May is due to attend the NATO meeting in Brussels with Trump on Thursday and then the G7 meeting in Italy at the weekend.

The news media here in Canada are highlighting Trudeau leaving for both meetings and saying that the Manchester attack will be central to both meetings and that Theresa May is chairing the G7 meeting on security.

I think any hope of the parties for focus on the GE is going to be crowded out by the media coverage of both these events.
This discussion has been closed.