Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Another day of the polls tightening but only YouGov has TMay n

Comments

• Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

SeanT said:

isam said:
    I think Farron is hopeless, out of his depth and will likely do worse than Clegg. I have noticed Clegg has been doing more of the interviews recently and he is in a different league to Farron. I know this is fatal for a politician but I actually feel sorry for him as he seems a reasonable person but he just does not cut the mustard.
    Remarkably, Clegg > Farron, Miliband > Corbyn, Salmond > Sturgeon, Cameron > May, and Farage > Nuttall.

Has this ever been the case before at an election? Where all the major parties have a leader worse than the one previous? (Apart from, maybe, the Greens...)
    I think Corbyn > Miliband possibly. (In the campaign)
    And Sturgeon ~= Salmond still I think (Was impossible for the SNP to better 2015)

Clegg >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Farron
    Cameron >>>>> May
    Farage >>>>>> Nuttall.

For sure
    Corbyn is only looking good because 1. he's facing a hapless Tory campaign, and 2. expectation were SO low he could only out-perform.

As a leader and a candidate for PM he is much, much worse than Miliband.

I suspect Ed Miliband would win this election at a canter.
    Yep - I'd strongly consider voting for Red Ed over May.
    I'd definitely be voting Ed M over May. For all that was thrown at him, he wasn't as weak as May is coming across now.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Barnesian said:

AndyJS said:

Latest forecasts:

Hanretty: Con maj 84
    Baxter: Con maj 86

Barnesian model Con maj 68
    BJESUS 65 majority
    I think about 48 seat majority is about right now. She is too crap to fathom.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    edited June 2017

Think of all the extra lives that will be lost when Corbyn and McDonnell's failure to live in economic reality leads to extra tax revenue being pitiful, but spending ballooning the deficit to over £100bn, leading to a deterioration of our credit rating, increase in our debt interest, and, ultimately, the debtors calling in it and very sharp and nasty cuts being required.

They could just print the money for the nationalisation, after all in a globalised world most of it will just leak out of the UK economy and have little affect.

I do agree it is not an appetising prospect that Labour propose as those targeted for higher taxes will do anything to avoid having to pay more. They would not be rational people if they did not try to mitigate the amount of tax they pay. This is why I am voting Conservative, Corbyn and McDonnell would remove the incentive for high achievers to produce wealth. Better to have a percentage of something than nothing at all. Mind you I thought that about staying in the EU and the majority didn't agree with me!
    I don't think they are proposing 100% taxes at any marginal rate (well, other than maintaining the existing theoretically possible >100% marginal rate between £50k and £60k introduced by Osborne which can occur as a result of withdrawing child benefit for a really large family), so you're quite safe still having "a percentage of something" under Labour.
  • Options
    Clown_Car_HQClown_Car_HQ Posts: 169
    Regional poll from Kent. May be of interest.

Commissioned by Kent Messenger Group and conducted by Facts International a market research company based in Ashford.

Telephone poll of 1000 residents covering all Kent constituencies. Results from 797 likely voters expressing an opinion. Likely voters = 4/5 on scale 1-5 (not at all likely, 5 extremely likely)

Be aware this poll was conducted between May 15 to May 22.

Change from 2015 (similar survey).

Con 59 +20
    Lab 30 +8
    LD 7 +1
    Grn 3 - 5
    UKIP 2 - 22

Best PM

May 69 (Cameron 51)
    Corbyn 20 (Miliband 18)
    Farron 3 (Clegg 5)
    Nuttall 1 ( no figure for Farage)
    No data given for Greens

Number of 18-24 year-olds unlikely to vote 8% compared to 31% in 2015

Political editor predicts that all 17 Kent seats likely to stay Con.

The poll will be online later in the week at www.kentonline.co.uk/election/
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082

JackW said:

Ed Miliband for next Labour leader is a sentiment I can get behind.

Behind the sofa ? ....
    Behind a 200/1 betting slip.
    I had a tenner on Yvette becoming leader in 2010 at 200/1.

I suspect that if Balls had lost in 2010 rather than 2015 I would have been £2k up.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Neat bit of Labour campaigning outside Basingstoke railway station earlier: they were handing out leaflets - red on one side, blue on the other - made to look like big train tickets. On the red side was the Labour pledge to nationalize the railways; on the blue side the fare hikes under the Tories. I was expecting a Footite shambles from Labour throughout, but this was punchy and professional.

'This is a nationalised British Rail announcement - the next strike arriving will be on platform four, followed by all other platforms and continuing until a 25% pay rise arrives.'
    East Coast mainline ran very well whilst nationalised to be fair though.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745

isam said:
    I think Farron is hopeless, out of his depth and will likely do worse than Clegg. I have noticed Clegg has been doing more of the interviews recently and he is in a different league to Farron. I know this is fatal for a politician but I actually feel sorry for him as he seems a reasonable person but he just does not cut the mustard.
    If you're not even in the league that Clegg's in that says it all.
    Tim wont lose as many MPs as Clegg thats an arithmetical certainty
    Clegg was treated a tad harshly by the public I think. For all he made mistakes too, circumstances also created a perfect storm which swept the LDs away.
  • Options
    Clown_Car_HQClown_Car_HQ Posts: 169

Commissioned by Kent Messenger Group and conducted by Facts International a market research company based in Ashford.

Telephone poll of 1000 residents covering all Kent constituencies. Results from 797 likely voters expressing an opinion. Likely voters = 4/5 on scale 1-5 (not at all likely, 5 extremely likely)

Con 59 +20
    Lab 30 +8
    LD 7 +1
    Grn 3 - 5
    UKIP 2 - 22

Best PM

May 69 (Cameron 51)
    Corbyn 20 (Miliband 18)
    Farron 3 (Clegg 5)
    No data given for Greens

Edit 1 = not at all likely to vote
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

Thank you. I didn't know about that. Horrific.

Why then are Labour not proposing to reverse the benefit cuts and instead wasting money on nationalization or on protecting the inheritances of the well off?

And the £10bn middle class student loan bung.
    I'm now convinced that has probably saved Labour 40 seats.
    Another George Osborne disaster coming home to roost.

Some of us did warn that it would damage the Cons and Libs among students in election after election.

At the next election Labour will promise to write off all student fees debts.
    Which would be ironic given it was Labour introduced tuition fees, extended them (breaking a manifesto commitment along the way, I might add) and set up the Browne review in the first place which has led to the current system.
    And the Conservatives opposed the introduction of tuition fees which IIRC needed SLAB votes to get it through the HoC.

Why the hell did Cameron and Osborne decide to permanently crap on the under 25s instead of reducing higher education back to its 1990 level and concentrating on improving technical education and training ?
    Fear, they would be curbing the aspiration of the under 25s who are not gifted academically but wanted to go to University. Even if they have to get into debt to do it! I think too many go to university and it would be money better spent on vocational training that equipped a workforce rather than keep the higher education industry. But it is a producer interest group that can lobby hard, so a fudge was obviously put through. Being truthful does not make you popular with the electorate, you cannot implement anything in opposition.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

Ed Miliband for next Labour leader is a sentiment I can get behind.

Behind the sofa ? ....
    Behind a 200/1 betting slip.
    :smiley:
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Anyone cheering Trump pulling out of the Paris accord?

@noreenahertz: No deal is better than a bad deal. Trump's mantra too clearly.

Oh...
  • Options
    macisbackmacisback Posts: 382

Faisal Islam @faisalislam
    PM says the big risk in election is her losing 6 seats. Though she is talking from Margaret Beckett's Derby S seat with 9k Lab majority

Derbyshire.

Bolsover.
    NE Derbyshire
    Derby South.

All in Derbyshire. All being visited by cabinet ministers.

Clearly, Lynton thinks there is mileage in Derbyshire.

Not sure why, as Labour did fine in Bolsover even in the locals, but clearly someone thinks so.
    There really shouldn't be much mileage at all in Derbyshire:

NED should be an easy Conservative gain if Pulps and BJO are right
    Bolsover is 400 MPs territory
    Derby South is safe Labour

Compare with Nottinghamshire which has Ashfield, Bassetlaw, Gedling, Mansfield and Nottingham S - all of which should be close according to Betfair. Though IMO all will be harder for the Conservatives than they look at first glance.
    Derby South isn't safe Labour anymore, we have had hard-left Labour on the Council and it isn't popular. Beckett should hold on but that isn't certain, could be a tight one.

NED looks positive, demographics around Bolsover are at last changing a little, more new business and housing close to the motorway, Skinner should hold but again it could be tight. Conservatives will go well in the East Midlands outside the shitholes Nottingham and Leicester.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Pulpstar said:

2nd term issue?
    Wonder if all Labour canvassers are going round like that, will get people crossing the Tory x for sure.
    I once went on a stag-do in Bristol West, along the "Greenest" road in the City.

Boy oh boy that was an uncomfortable experience for a sound Tory like me. Although, my flirting (experimental) with a couple of dreadlocked hippie 20-something girls hawking new-age shite outside their home, with reggae and spliffs, went down rather well.

Why do left-wing girls like Tory men so much?
    This thing about left wing girls liking Tory men is something I've only ever heard of on PB. I think, as in the States most people in this country have relationships with those who share their politics.
  • Options
    TravelJunkieTravelJunkie Posts: 431
    GIN1138 said:

Liam Gallagher was just on ch4 and he said he was voting Labour as he came from a Labour family. Seems Corbyn is quite popular with the high end of the entertainment industry.

They'll all be trying to hide they money from HMRC after Jezza has won though... ;)
    Tories hide their money whoever is power. Tories represent the few not the many.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,226
    Pulpstar said:

Neat bit of Labour campaigning outside Basingstoke railway station earlier: they were handing out leaflets - red on one side, blue on the other - made to look like big train tickets. On the red side was the Labour pledge to nationalize the railways; on the blue side the fare hikes under the Tories. I was expecting a Footite shambles from Labour throughout, but this was punchy and professional.

'This is a nationalised British Rail announcement - the next strike arriving will be on platform four, followed by all other platforms and continuing until a 25% pay rise arrives.'
    With the Tories franchising most rail contracts out to a foreign government it's then hard to argue with a serious face that government can't run things.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Con 59 +20
    Lab 30 +8
    LD 7 +1
    Grn 3 - 5
    UKIP 2 - 22

Best PM

May 69 (Cameron 51)
    Corbyn 20 (Miliband 18)
    Farron 3 (Clegg 5)
    No data given for Greens

20% tory increase and 0 seat gains for the tories.....hmmm maybe it is the tories who have an inefficient vote.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    nunu said:

Con 59 +20
    Lab 30 +8
    LD 7 +1
    Grn 3 - 5
    UKIP 2 - 22

Best PM

May 69 (Cameron 51)
    Corbyn 20 (Miliband 18)
    Farron 3 (Clegg 5)
    No data given for Greens

20% tory increase and 0 seat gains for the tories.....hmmm maybe it is the tories who have an inefficient vote.
    Think of it as cancelling out the London poll (which covers far more seats) in terms of efficiency.
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    RobD said:

chloe said:

Evening all, what do people expect from the revised Ashcroft model tomorrow? I assume it is a similar to the YouGov model in using a variety of demographic and voting history indicators. If it is pointing to a hung parliament too and this is indeed what happens perhaps this is the way forward for election polling if the traditional VI polls continue to point to a Conservative majority?

For it to go from the current prediction to a hung parliament would be a monumental shift.
    But the traditional VI polls have undergone a monumental shift, perhaps the Ashcroft Model will show this too.
  • Options
    TravelJunkieTravelJunkie Posts: 431

Think of all the extra lives that will be lost when Corbyn and McDonnell's failure to live in economic reality leads to extra tax revenue being pitiful, but spending ballooning the deficit to over £100bn, leading to a deterioration of our credit rating, increase in our debt interest, and, ultimately, the debtors calling in it and very sharp and nasty cuts being required.

Tories have added £700bn to the national debt in 7 years. Something about glass houses comes to mind.
    hmmm if a tory was honest they wouldn't be a tory.

• Options

Pulpstar said:

With the Tories franchising most rail contracts out to a foreign government it's then hard to argue with a serious face that government can't run things.
    Isn't the argument that the government would be more easily coerced by the unions? The german government doesn't care at all about commuters on Southern.
  • Options

Tories have added £700bn to the national debt in 7 years. Something about glass houses comes to mind.

lol, oh dear.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Con 59 +20
    Lab 30 +8
    LD 7 +1
    Grn 3 - 5
    UKIP 2 - 22

Best PM

May 69 (Cameron 51)
    Corbyn 20 (Miliband 18)
    Farron 3 (Clegg 5)
    No data given for Greens

That was one reason I assumed a 70-80 style win even at the start of the campaign.
  • Options
    chloe said:

RobD said:

chloe said:

Evening all, what do people expect from the revised Ashcroft model tomorrow? I assume it is a similar to the YouGov model in using a variety of demographic and voting history indicators. If it is pointing to a hung parliament too and this is indeed what happens perhaps this is the way forward for election polling if the traditional VI polls continue to point to a Conservative majority?

For it to go from the current prediction to a hung parliament would be a monumental shift.
    But the traditional VI polls have undergone a monumental shift, perhaps the Ashcroft Model will show this too.
    Not in the last week they haven't.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Liam Gallagher was just on ch4 and he said he was voting Labour as he came from a Labour family. Seems Corbyn is quite popular with the high end of the entertainment industry.

They'll all be trying to hide they money from HMRC after Jezza has won though... ;)
    Tories hide their money whoever is power. Tories represent the few not the many.
    Odd that they get voted in by the many so often then.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,388
    Pulpstar said:

It wasn't really nationalised. Just publicly run. Presumably Labour want to take over particular industries to actually change the way they operate, not to do more of the same.
  • Options
    RobD said:

lol, oh dear.
    It's true - I've lied five times since I decided the other day to vote Tory for the first time.

And I'm already getting hungry for babies.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Pulpstar said:

Yes, but the issue is that NXEC bit off more than they could chew. It's outrageous that they were able to walk away without financial penalty. Put simply, they offered to make the government more money than they could deliver.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

lol, oh dear.
    It's true - I've lied five times since I decided the other day to vote Tory for the first time.

Goood... gooooood :naughty:
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Speak of the devil

Ed Miliband‏Verified account @Ed_Miliband 46m46 minutes ago
    More
    Ed Miliband Retweeted Christopher Hope
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    RobD said:

chloe said:

RobD said:

chloe said:

Not in the last week they haven't.
    No, but something is up and I am trying to work out whether YouGov or the VI pollls are accurate.
  • Options
    nunu said:
    LDs are so buggered - like 2015, they have to severely outperform their vote share in order to retain seats. They didn't manage that in 2015, and if they don't think time, the party dies.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

Why then are Labour not proposing to reverse the benefit cuts and instead wasting money on nationalization or on protecting the inheritances of the well off?

Some of us did warn that it would damage the Cons and Libs among students in election after election.

Which would be ironic given it was Labour introduced tuition fees, extended them (breaking a manifesto commitment along the way, I might add) and set up the Browne review in the first place which has led to the current system.
    And the Conservatives opposed the introduction of tuition fees which IIRC needed SLAB votes to get it through the HoC.

Why the hell did Cameron and Osborne decide to permanently crap on the under 25s instead of reducing higher education back to its 1990 level and concentrating on improving technical education and training ?
    Fear, they would be curbing the aspiration of the under 25s who are not gifted academically but wanted to go to University. Even if they have to get into debt to do it! I think too many go to university and it would be money better spent on vocational training that equipped a workforce rather than keep the higher education industry. But it is a producer interest group that can lobby hard, so a fudge was obviously put through. Being truthful does not make you popular with the electorate, you cannot implement anything in opposition.
    They've certainly curbed the aspirations of those who had their expectations raised, received near worthless degrees, are three years later in entering the workforce and have £30k plus debt.

Still its kept lots of people employed at Scumbag University - I wonder how many of them vote Conservative.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

They've certainly curbed the aspirations of those who had their expectations raised, received near worthless degrees, are three years later in entering the workforce and have £30k plus debt.

Still its kept lots of people employed at Scumbag University - I wonder how many of them vote Conservative.
    At Scumbag university? Surely all of them.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Its not the foreign governments who will be paying out when the strikes begin.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    edited June 2017
    I didn't watch the BBC debates this week but I noticed claims that the audience were rigged. But it could have been that the Jezzarites are noisier.

However I remember the referendum Question Time from Boston. I was born and brought up there and return on a regular basis to visit family (and usually tour the pubs).

I was astonished by the programme. It seemed that most of the audience were Remainers as were most of the speakers. I had a completely different impression when returning. I posted on here that I must be moving in an echo chamber, divorced from reality.

On June 24th, it was obvious that my Boston was the real Boston. In the BBC's defence, it's possible that they associate naturally with the poshos, so it might have been a genuine mistake.

It's also possible they balanced the debate audience this week, but didn't make allowance for shouty lefties.

I'm serious here, I'd suggest they were gullible rather than biased.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

nunu said:
    LDs are so buggered - like 2015, they have to severely outperform their vote share in order to retain seats. They didn't manage that in 2015, and if they don't think time, the party dies.
    The Left needs to realign, and the death of the LDs is part of that.
    But it is realigning to Corbynism!
  • Options
    hoveitehoveite Posts: 43
    Cyclefree said:

'David Clapson’s awful death was the result of grotesque government policies'

https://tinyurl.com/hqfbzlv

But they are. The Labour manifesto says " We will scrap the punitive sanctions regime". You can't get much clearer than that.

If you imagined that a Corbynite manifesto wouldn't include this commitment you don't have a clue about the British left. It's not like they (we? I think of myself as a centrist) haven't been banging on about it for the last several years.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    hoveite said:

But they are. The Labour manifesto says " We will scrap the punitive sanctions regime". You can't get much clearer than that.

If you imagined that a Corbynite manifesto wouldn't include this commitment you don't have a clue about the British left. It's not like they (we? I think of myself as a centrist) haven't been banging on about it for the last several years.

That's not reversing the cuts to benefit though, that's just scraping the sanction scheme.
  • Options

isam said:
    If you're not even in the league that Clegg's in that says it all.
    Tim wont lose as many MPs as Clegg thats an arithmetical certainty
    Clegg had been the leader of the coalition partner in government.

Farron has been an opposition leader for two years. He really should be making some gains - at the very least keeping seats.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

At Scumbag university? Surely all of them.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3HvchF49AM
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I didn't watch the BBC debates this week but I noticed claims that the audience were rigged. But it could have been that the Jezzarites are noisier.

I'm sure that is true - not a single applause line for Rudd though, who particularly at the start was pretty strong, it was bizarre. Nuttal did manage a couple in fairness.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Its not the foreign governments who will be paying out when the strikes begin.
    Well I don't have much confidence for old Corbyn to do a Ronald Reagen Air Traffic control job on them should they misbehave, it is true.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    bobajobPB said:

Pulpstar

Pretty sure McLoughlin was a scab during the miners' strike. Not sure that will necessarily make him popular.

A fireman friend told me of the Merseyside fire station where someone put up a Christmas message on an adjoining house that flashed the initial letters of Santa Claus Arrives By Sleigh every few seconds. Caused consternation as the S word is utterly verboten.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,332
    Labour campaigning in *Basingstoke* ?

Massive LOL.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

2nd term issue?
    Wonder if all Labour canvassers are going round like that, will get people crossing the Tory x for sure.
    I once went on a stag-do in Bristol West, along the "Greenest" road in the City.

Boy oh boy that was an uncomfortable experience for a sound Tory like me. Although, my flirting (experimental) with a couple of dreadlocked hippie 20-something girls hawking new-age shite outside their home, with reggae and spliffs, went down rather well.

This thing about left wing girls liking Tory men is something I've only ever heard of on PB. I think, as in the States most people in this country have relationships with those who share their politics.
    lol
    Your situation certainly isn't representative. A vast majority of 40+ men are not millionaires which realistically is the main reason as to why girls of my age group would be into old men.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    The LDs may be mortally wounded in parliament but they're unlikely to "die". As the continuation of the historic Liberal party, they still have too much of a ground presence and too many fee-paying members for that to happen.

I wouldn't bet against them being subsumed into a new centre/centre-left party in due course. I also wouldn't bet against a strange rebirth if/when Brexit goes tits up.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

2nd term issue?

True. But a short, intense fling?

Happens a lot.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    SeanT said:

*resists urge to tell incredible stories about Noreena Hertz*

*thinks*

*demands payment from moderators for inhuman restraint*

You're making it up.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Danny565 said:

trawl said:

Walsall North

This is viewed as a dead cert Tory gain and it should be in the Brexit election. But don't laugh, have just been watching a candidates debate on local tv channel Made in Birmingham. Tory candidate not that great, doing his best to play up his brexit credentials (to the scoffing of the UKIP lady) - the area was heavily for Leave. Anyway David Winnick making a decent fist of it and reassuring that he was always strongly for seeing through the referendum decision even though it won on a small majority. Labour 4.2 on Bf to hold this seat on thin money.

Hmm. Even the YouGov hung parliament forecast has the Tories (narrowly) gaining this one.
    Please tell me in that YG hung poll WoodCOCK loses his seat hasnt he said he will never countenance Jezza as PM?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    edited June 2017
    hoveite said:

Cyclefree said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/20/labour-manifesto-keep-planned-tory-benefit-cuts-resolution-foundation
  • Options
    Polruan said:

It's clearly a risk, but it doesn't obviously seem to be a larger risk than May's willingness to leave the EU without any form of trade agreement and to prioritise closed borders over tariff-free movement of goods and economically beneficial immigration. Think of all the extra lives that will be lost when this failure to live in globalised economic reality leads to a shrinking economy, huge falls in tax revenue (and so on)
    Oh, but it is.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Labour campaigning in *Basingstoke* ?

Massive LOL.

They were handing out leaflets at Waterloo too. Perhaps a bit more sensible, but still not convinced.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Jonathan said:

So, if you're Labour what do you do? Some people are about to think for the first time 'maybe'. How do they handle that? In the past, Labour has not handled that moment well. How would you play it?

1. Hope. You want better for you and yours than you have now? As the 6th richest economy we don't have to cut everything and everything. We can't afford NOT to invest in our children
    2. Decency. This is Britain. My grandfather didn't fight to secure our freedom in order to have veteran soldiers starved to death, the disabled left to lie in their own filth and children going to school hungry because their working parents can't afford food. We are better than this. What the Tories are doing to people is wrong at a very basic moral level, your neighbour is your friend not your enemy if we all pull together

Having spoken to so may people in this campaign my gut feel as to the mad swing is this. The Tory manifesto broke the TINA narrative. People have said "that isn't right" and are willing to vote accordingly. Because whatever your views on the economy these are human beings and our friends family and neighbours being treated by the Tories like scum. And the Tories excuses for working people reliant on foodbanks just doesn't wash any more.

People voted Brexit because they want a better future. Only one party offering details about what that means to them.
    But Corbyn's still a c*nt.
    Corbyn will wreck our economy, lose people their homes and jobs, and very probably get people killed.
    In your unbiased opinion!
    Nope. I'm being completely objective.

It's just you deluded Labourites are too blind to see it.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

trawl said:

Walsall North

This is viewed as a dead cert Tory gain and it should be in the Brexit election. But don't laugh, have just been watching a candidates debate on local tv channel Made in Birmingham. Tory candidate not that great, doing his best to play up his brexit credentials (to the scoffing of the UKIP lady) - the area was heavily for Leave. Anyway David Winnick making a decent fist of it and reassuring that he was always strongly for seeing through the referendum decision even though it won on a small majority. Labour 4.2 on Bf to hold this seat on thin money.

Hmm. Even the YouGov hung parliament forecast has the Tories (narrowly) gaining this one.
    Please tell me in that YG hung poll WoodCOCK loses his seat hasnt he said he will never countenance Jezza as PM?
    How childish can you get?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

CD13 said:

I'm sure that is true - not a single applause line for Rudd though, who particularly at the start was pretty strong, it was bizarre. Nuttal did manage a couple in fairness.
    Loved her final pitch though "When you're in the ballot box, silently tick the tory box"
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

I really struggle with the idea that our society encourages young people to get into debt. I don't know how university & other FE should be funded, but youngsters taking on huge debts doesn't seem right in principle.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,095
    kle4 said:

RobD said:

lol, oh dear.

For left wing babes I think you mean.
  • Options

kle4 said:

RobD said:

lol, oh dear.

For left wing babes I think you mean.
    The hunger sometimes becomes so great....
  • Options
    edited June 2017

Pulpstar said:

2nd term issue?

Happens a lot.
    Can't say I know of that happening among girls I know (95% of them are left wing). Then again most people don't ask about each other's politics when it comes to flings so!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232

SeanT said:

Pulpstar said:

2nd term issue?

lol
    Your situation certainly isn't representative. A vast majority of 40+ men are not millionaires which realistically is the main reason as to why girls of my age group would be into old men.
    Shouldn't that be the other way around?

I'll get my coat...
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    SeanT said:

*thinks*

Nominative determinism?

• Options

The LDs may be mortally wounded in parliament but they're unlikely to "die". As the continuation of the historic Liberal party, they still have too much of a ground presence and too many fee-paying members for that to happen.

I wouldn't bet against them being subsumed into a new centre/centre-left party in due course. I also wouldn't bet against a strange rebirth if/when Brexit goes tits up.

Well, we thought they might get a modest one now and look at the result, fighting to retain as many as they currently hold!
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

Cyclefree said:

I really struggle with the idea that our society encourages young people to get into debt. I don't know how university & other FE should be funded, but youngsters taking on huge debts doesn't seem right in principle.
    Unless something has changed, I don't think it counts when you are looking to get a mortgage or a loan (at least the debt doesn't, of course the outgoing every month counts). It's basically a graduate tax.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    edited June 2017
    Just got back from an evening of canvassing in Enfield North. On the whole Labour and Tory 2015 voters staying loyal but did get 1 Labour to Tory voter and 1 moving to Labour over social care. Also still a few undecideds and some who won't vote and also got 1 man who does not normally vote but voted Leave over immigration so if he votes Tory this time that could also be significant. Anyway while inner London has clearly moved to Corbyn, suburban London marginals are still too close to call in my view
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    An interesting analysis of Ruth Davidson's future by David Clegg

https://twitter.com/davieclegg/status/870362742301110272

I don't know his reasoning but here is mine - I actually go further than Clegg, I don't think she will ever be a Westminster MP.

Ruth's Davidson's main, and sole generator of her electoral success, selling point is her "No2IndyRef2" stance. Standing up to the NastyNats. No running away from the Nationalists.

Her entire political persona is totally enmeshed with the SNP. If the SNP are not totally defeated then stepping away from Holyrood means running away from the Nats, an exact 100% abandonment of her selling point. Davidson's electoral success is codependent on SNP strength. Davidson lead the Conservatives to their worst ever council election result in 2012 and their worst ever Westminster vote share in 2015 (just a few hundred votes from losing Mundell and the worst worstest ever result), 4 years of less than mediocrity. The SCon surge has happened after the SNP became all encompassing and a needed a natural counterweight.

In the near term it is impossible for her to take up a Westminster seat. Firstly for the reason outlined above, abandoning Holyrood would seem and abandonment of her principles - so obviously if she was to go for it the seat would have to be in Scotland, going outside of Scotland would be not an option. Secondly if she takes a safe seat then that kills her fighter image, if she goes for a competitive seat then she risks an anti-Tory tactical voting backlash which would destroy the Ruth Davidson project as she is a winner.

At some point the SNP will decline, she has a tiny window of opportunity to switch from Holyrood to Westminster before either a Labour resurgence or SNP fightback occur. MY strongest belief is that the one event that could propell her to Westminster and then number Ten is the one vent she has vowed and staked everything on not occurring - a decisive No vote in IndyRef2. But IndyRef2 even occurring is a blow for Davidson.

Which is all irrelevant as I don't think she has her eyes on Westminster at all - I think she would be more than satisfied with First Minister and I suspect she is a little miffed with John Lamont resigning his Hoyrood seat with indecent haste making Holyrood look small and provincial.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

2nd term issue?

Happens a lot.
    Can't say I know of that happening among girls I know (95% of them are left wing). Then again most people don't ask about each other's politics when it comes to flings so!
    Hence

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/woman-realises-shes-slept-with-at-least-four-tories-20170525128318
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    @Alistair - agree entirely. Moving to Westminster would be a huge mistake for her, unless it is after she somehow gets elected FM for a term or two.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

2nd term issue?

Happens a lot.
    Hence

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/woman-realises-shes-slept-with-at-least-four-tories-20170525128318
    "...she had given succour to the enemy on at least four occasions."

blimey
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

CD13 said:

Loved her final pitch though "When you're in the ballot box, silently tick the tory box"
    I felt like she wanted to whisper at the camera 'Don't worry, it'll be a shameful little secret'.
  • Options
    @SeanT Few anecdotes isn't necessarily representative of a country of nearly seventy million people. I'm not taking lessons on being naive from a 40+ man whose mood swings here there and bloody everywhere in a single day.

• Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    SeanT said:

kle4 said:

CD13 said:

It was fucking ridiculous and the BBC are rightly ashamed (see their comments today). Five mostly tiny left wing parties with an audience full of shouty student twats. Pfff.
    Why TM was right not to go. Rise above the political dwarves, especially the 'orrible SNP.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

An interesting analysis of Ruth Davidson's future by David Clegg

https://twitter.com/davieclegg/status/870362742301110272

I don't know his reasoning but here is mine - I actually go further than Clegg, I don't think she will ever be a Westminster MP.

Ruth's Davidson's main, and sole generator of her electoral success, selling point is her "No2IndyRef2" stance. Standing up to the NastyNats. No running away from the Nationalists.

Her entire political persona is totally enmeshed with the SNP. If the SNP are not totally defeated then stepping away from Holyrood means running away from the Nats, an exact 100% abandonment of her selling point. Davidson's electoral success is codependent on SNP strength. Davidson lead the Conservatives to their worst ever council election result in 2012 and their worst ever Westminster vote share in 2015 (just a few hundred votes from losing Mundell and the worst worstest ever result), 4 years of less than mediocrity. The SCon surge has happened after the SNP became all encompassing and a needed a natural counterweight.

In the near term it is impossible for her to take up a Westminster seat. Firstly for the reason outlined above, abandoning Holyrood would seem and abandonment of her principles - so obviously if she was to go for it the seat would have to be in Scotland, going outside of Scotland would be not an option. Secondly if she takes a safe seat then that kills her fighter image, if she goes for a competitive seat then she risks an anti-Tory tactical voting backlash which would destroy the Ruth Davidson project as she is a winner.

At some point the SNP will decline, she has a tiny window of opportunity to switch from Holyrood to Westminster before either a Labour resurgence or SNP fightback occur. MY strongest belief is that the one event that could propell her to Westminster and then number Ten is the one vent she has vowed and staked everything on not occurring - a decisive No vote in IndyRef2. But IndyRef2 even occurring is a blow for Davidson.

Which is all irrelevant as I don't think she has her eyes on Westminster at all - I think she would be more than satisfied with First Minister and I suspect she is a little miffed with John Lamont resigning his Hoyrood seat with indecent haste making Holyrood look small and provincial.

You make a decent case. I'd like to see what she could do at UK level, but she certainly couldn't jump now, and even if we last five years she might not, as the SNP threat will still be around (although if Tories win then, it will proabably be their last for a while, so her last chance to get into UK power) and much work still to be done.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

2nd term issue?

Happens a lot.
    Hence

:lol:
  • Options

Seriously, why the hell do you think that's a logical argument? And not just you, countless other Labourites?

Constantly? Like.. since 2010?

Do you not understand it's completely contradictory?

Your argument seems to be... we've had cuts, people are suffering, but the national debt has gone up anyway, so screw it, tax, borrow and spend our way out of it.

It's precisely because it's so hard to eliminate a £160bn deficit that we're only 2/3rds of the way there. It has been done gradually, and at times controversially, but there has been no mass unemployment here, no collapse in house prices, no sharp cuts in public sector pay (as in Ireland and Greece) and we've continued to invest in infrastructure, and still have decent, if stretched, public services. The deficit will all be gone by 2025, and then we can start paying down the debt (remember that: we're still paying more than the defence budget *every year* on interest alone. And it's precisely because our deficit reduction plan is credible, and has made constant progress, that the interest rates on that debt has been kept so low) and deciding what to do with any additional tax revenues. Then, and only then, can we debate whether the extra cash can go into public services or further tax cuts, and even then there'll be choices.

You don't just give up because it's hard. Well, perhaps that's what The Labour Party do, since at least 2009, because they don't live in the real world.

Anyone would think you just want any and every possible angle to attack the Tories, and don't particularly care whether it stacks up or not.

Your party is totally unfit for office.
  • Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285
    nichomar said:

SeanT said:

isam said:
    Remarkably, Clegg > Farron, Miliband > Corbyn, Salmond > Sturgeon, Cameron > May, and Farage > Nuttall.

Has this ever been the case before at an election? Where all the major parties have a leader worse than the one previous? (Apart from, maybe, the Greens...)
    People had better pray there is a landslide for the simple reason that Westminster needs some fresh talent.
    Landslides don't bring in new talent they bring in people who didn't expect to win, we're poorly selected. One only has to look at he SNP at the last GE or UKIP in the euro elections to see what happens. Their might be some gems but they will be few and far between. Many of the Tory west country winners last time are poor as local MPs but useful cannon fodder to their party
    Even the Westcountry Tory MPs who have absolutely plum safe seats are duffers. Why on Earth do Tories give them to the Bufton Tuftons of this world rather than people who could be spending their days running the country rather than needing to offer 24hr gate-fixing counselling to constituents in order to protect their seats? Hugo Swire for example wouldn't be in danger of losing to a leftist independent were he not a walking stereotype and lazy to boot.
  • Options
    edited June 2017

@SeanT Few anecdotes isn't necessarily representative of a country of nearly seventy million people. I'm not taking lessons on being naive from a 40+ man whose mood swings here there and bloody everywhere in a single day.

Young people today are so bloody sensible*. They don't drink, or smoke, or do drugs, and they stand up to their elders.

*Apart from soft spots for kindly but hapless politicians left over from the early 1980s that is.
  • Options

SeanT said:

*thinks*

Nominative determinism?

It is this sort of exchange that is the glory of PB.

Sunil's railway odysseys

Discussions on the best restaurants in Conakry

The Haddock of Morris Dancer...

Oh and there is an election going on too?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,095

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

CD13 said:

It was fucking ridiculous and the BBC are rightly ashamed (see their comments today). Five mostly tiny left wing parties with an audience full of shouty student twats. Pfff.
    Why TM was right not to go. Rise above the political dwarves, especially the 'orrible SNP.
    The idea that TMay is somehow a political giant, or even above average height, is certainly...interesting.
  • Options
    ProdicusProdicus Posts: 658

Seriously, why the hell do you think that's a logical argument? And not just you, countless other Labourites?

Constantly? Like.. since 2010?

Do you not understand it's completely contradictory?

Your argument seems to be... we've had cuts, people are suffering, but the national debt has gone up anyway, so screw it, tax, borrow and spend our way out of it.

It's precisely because it's so hard to eliminate a £160bn deficit that we're only 2/3rds of the way there. It has been done gradually, and at times controversially, but there has been no mass unemployment here, no collapse in house prices, no sharp cuts in public sector pay (as in Ireland and Greece) and we've continued to invest in infrastructure, and still have decent, if stretched, public services. The deficit will all be gone by 2025, and then we can start paying down the debt (remember that: we're still paying more than the defence budget *every year* on interest alone. And it's precisely because our deficit reduction plan is credible, and has made constant progress, that the interest rates on that debt has been kept so low) and deciding what to do with any additional tax revenues. Then, and only then, can we debate whether the extra cash can go into public services or further tax cuts, and even then there'll be choices.

You don't just give up because it's hard. Well, perhaps that's what The Labour Party do, since at least 2009, because they don't live in the real world.

Anyone would think you just want any and every possible angle to attack the Tories, and don't particularly care whether it stacks up or not.

Your party is totally unfit for office.
    Hearty applause here. Well said.

• Options
    JonWC said:

nichomar said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

People had better pray there is a landslide for the simple reason that Westminster needs some fresh talent.
    Landslides don't bring in new talent they bring in people who didn't expect to win, we're poorly selected. One only has to look at he SNP at the last GE or UKIP in the euro elections to see what happens. Their might be some gems but they will be few and far between. Many of the Tory west country winners last time are poor as local MPs but useful cannon fodder to their party
    Even the Westcountry Tory MPs who have absolutely plum safe seats are duffers. Why on Earth do Tories give them to the Bufton Tuftons of this world rather than people who could be spending their days running the country rather than needing to offer 24hr gate-fixing counselling to constituents in order to protect their seats? Hugo Swire for example wouldn't be in danger of losing to a leftist independent were he not a walking stereotype and lazy to boot.
    I see there are three separate independents standing against Hugo Swire. Has to be close to a record outside of seats held by senior cabinet figures.
  • Options

SeanT said:

kle4 said:

CD13 said:

The idea that TMay is somehow a political giant, or even above average height, is certainly...interesting.
    Let's just say it is about 3 weeks behind the times.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

CD13 said:

I felt like she wanted to whisper at the camera 'Don't worry, it'll be a shameful little secret'.
    The first time is always difficult, but after that it's much easier...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

CD13 said:

And many will.

I got called a "pocket Farage" by a Corbynite dickhead at work in the office today, and several other colleagues could overhear it, because I happened to mention I voted Leave once (last year) to someone else he worked with, and he likes to have a little dig now and again.

I did nothing to encourage it, I was just talking to a colleague and he walked past and 'banted' me.

My colleague looked at his feet and shuffled them awkwardly. I smiled and ignored it, but it's that sort of behaviour that explains why there are so many silent Tories.
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Here it is!

Ave it says:
    - worst campaign ever
    - worst manifesto ever
    - worst PM ever

But Ave it projects (GB share):
    CON 44%
    LAB 36%
    LD 8%
    SNP 4%
    GRN 3%
    PC 1%
    OTH 4%

Seats:
    CON 340
    LAB 233
    LD 6
    SNP 50
    GRN 0
    PC 3
    OTH 18

Con maj 40

Minimal CON gains from LAB - Gains in midlands and north offset by LAB gains in London and south
    Gains for CON, LAB and LD from SNP
  • Options
    kle4 said:

JonWC said:

nichomar said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

I see there are three separate independents standing against Hugo Swire. Has to be close to a record outside of seats held by senior cabinet figures.
    Splitters!
  • Options
    @Ave_It.. no mention of Bootle?
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

nichomar said:

I actually think that the explanation to the way the polls are going is quite obvious, the panels are self selecting and unlikely to attract a voter who is genuinely undecided. The anectdotal evidence of the lack of posters and leaflets in marginal constituenc being far less than before implies that he campaign is "under the radar" . The big question is will the 18-35 age group turn out? Having watched the effectiveness of Tory targeting in lib dem seats in 2015 being so successful I seriously doubt if a lot of the polls reflect the true position. Whilst there are not many hats left to eat I think there may be excessive sheet changing in some quarters. Now this is from someone who's hope and expectations on ED is Lib Dems in double figures and not caring what else happens is neither ramping or hot air

If Conservative targeting was effective in 2015, does it necessarily follow that it's as effective this time?

Incidentally, if anyone is interested in these things, I received a bundle of GE leaflets today, delivered by the postman. (LD, Lab, Con, Green). Prior to that I'd only had leaflets delivered prior to the locals - 2 Con GE leaflets. (Newton Abbot constituency.)

Good evening, everyone.
    Lucky you - someone in the next constituency from me got one from the Wessex Regionalists of all people.
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    Stark

Labour have plenty of money, so can afford neat advertising
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    RobD said:

@Ave_It.. no mention of Bootle?

I was hopeful before the campaign started :lol:
  • Options
    Ave_it said:

Here it is!

Ave it says:
    - worst campaign ever
    - worst manifesto ever
    - worst PM ever

CON 44%
    LAB 36%
    LD 8%
    SNP 4%
    GRN 3%
    PC 1%
    OTH 4%

Seats:
    CON 340
    LAB 233
    LD 6
    SNP 50
    GRN 0
    PC 3
    OTH 18

Con maj 40

Minimal CON gains from LAB - Gains in midlands and north offset by LAB gains in London and south

Not many gains from SNP though I see. A shame. And a very good result for Lab - I had been an optimist for them, and thought 200 was their ceiling.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,975
    Ave_it said:

Here it is!

Ave it says:
    - worst campaign ever
    - worst manifesto ever
    - worst PM ever

CON 44%
    LAB 36%
    LD 8%
    SNP 4%
    GRN 3%
    PC 1%
    OTH 4%

Seats:
    CON 340
    LAB 233
    LD 6
    SNP 50
    GRN 0
    PC 3
    OTH 18

Con maj 40

Gosh! It's not exactly Con gain Bootle.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942
    Pulpstar said:

No where near as well as it did when it was Stagecoach. The service improved vastly when it was first privatised, dropped back a fair bit when it went back into temporary public ownership and has now plummeted under Virgin. There really is a private company that doesn't have the first idea about customer service.
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042

You appear to be confused with the privatised Southern.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

Stark

Labour have plenty of money, so can afford neat advertising

And they have 6 days left to do something effective with it.
  • Options
    bobajobPB said:

You appear to be confused with the privatised Southern.
    Yeah, no doubt a Corbyn government would cave immediately to union demands.
  • Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285
    RobD said:

kle4 said:

JonWC said:

nichomar said:

SeanT said:

isam said:

Splitters!
    I think it is very very likely they are just that, put up by the Tories to siphon a few votes of the serious indy at the bottom of the ballot paper. Remember the Literal Democrat who won 10k votes and cost a Devon Liberal Democrat a euro seat nearly 20 years ago, leading to a change in the law..
  • Options
    hoveitehoveite Posts: 43
    ydoethur said:

hoveite said:

Cyclefree said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/politics/2017/may/20/labour-manifesto-keep-planned-tory-benefit-cuts-resolution-foundation
    http://www.labour.org.uk/page/-/Images/manifesto-2017/Labour Manifesto 2017.pdf

Open it and search for "sanctions". Read the story about David Clapson.

He died because of sanctions.

Labour are explicitly promising to get rid of sanctions no matter any article in the Guardian says.

Also the headline of that article is slightly misleading. The headline says "Labour manifesto ‘would keep £7bn of planned Tory welfare cuts’" but then goes on to say "the party’s manifesto only pledges to reverse £2bn of the £9bn cuts" so they are proposing to reduce the cuts - and that £2bn presumably includes getting rid of sanctions. And frankly I don't care if that costing is wrong. In the context of the total government budget getting rid of sanctions isn't that big an issue. Yes, sanctions stop some chancers taking the piss - but the cost to people who can't cope with modern society for whatever reason is too high.

This discussion has been closed.