Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Local By-Election Review : 2015 – 2017 Parliament

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    jonny83 said:

Impressive start by May, bit of fire in her belly.

Finally :p
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    "Who is it who contested you"

Is that English?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Yorkcity said:

You will be jumping around the room with delight like my Father did when Thatcher was elected in 1979.

You seem to be under the delusion that I dispatched my postal vote for the Conservatives.

WRONG.

Lib-Dem!!!!!!!! AKA The Whigs?
    None Of The Above.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    QT opens with a belter...

@ShippersUnbound: May criticised for failing to answer questions by a questioner in a live TV question and answer question
  • Options
    RhubarbRhubarb Posts: 359

First comment from my politically unaware 16 year old son - what's wrong with her hair?

It's a tribble.
  • Options
    Torby_FennelTorby_Fennel Posts: 438

Danny565 said:

Missed the last thread -- what's this about letters in Con/LD marginals??

If they are also in LAB/LD seats pointless exercise really.

I hope LDs get completely wiped out and all English seats are either Tory/Lab need to focus minds there are only 2 choices Status Quo or something radically different
    I live in a Con/Lab marginal and haven't for a second considered voting for either of those parties yet at this election and nor will I do so between now and polling day. Probably never will ever again.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,841
    Audience have obviously been told to politely applaud this time.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

QT opens with a belter...

@ShippersUnbound: May criticised for failing to answer questions by a questioner in a live TV question and answer question

Quite...
  • Options
    ConcanvasserConcanvasser Posts: 165
    Conservative support has just not dipped. Not on the doorstep or even in most of these infernal polls. 45% is bloody fantastic. Nothing to suggest we are on for anything other than a comfortable majority.
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308
    Danny565 said:

Good, punchy first answer from May.

She is doing well so far. She should have done the debate.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    @bobajobPB I can't see either party negotiatingg a good deal for us, tbh.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,175
    Rhubarb said:

First comment from my politically unaware 16 year old son - what's wrong with her hair?

It's a tribble.
    I understand now. Harcourt Fenton Mudd designed the Tory campaign
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    edited June 2017
    On strong ground - BREXIT

Performing stronger than previous weeks so far
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215

Dadge said:

RobD said:

Have we had an answer yet from @MikeSmithson if the letters in London LD/Con marginals in his name reported in the last thread are genuine?

Yup they are genuine, he approved the message, and they aren't just in LD/Con marginals.

They are being sent in seats across Great Britain.
    Wow. I'm amazed that you and @david_herdson are happy with these going out effectively in your names.
    They are signed in Mike's name, it's Mike's website, and finally Mike has never told me what I can and can't write, same applies to David.

I've written stuff I know Mike disagrees with but he's always given me 100% freedom when in my threads and when I do a stint as guest editor.
    So if OGH hasn't been suppressing your AV magnum opus, who has? Hmmmm....
    Next stint as guest editor starts end of this month.

I'll try and publish during said stint.

A lot will depend on the result next Thursday.

I'm not prepared for a Jeremy Corbyn government, which some PBers think is nailed on now.
    How many does May need to stay in power? Take out SF = 646 seats. Half = 323. Take away the Unionists = 313.

Try getting the Tories down to 313 on Baxter - Labour need to be well over 40% to achieve it, and now that 20% of the votes are already posted it ain't going to happen. Time for the PB Tories to be thankful for small mercies.
    She needs 365 as a minimum according to Tory MPs
    The only swing vote that has been cast already is SeanT's.
  • Options
    bardigianibardigiani Posts: 19
    May is smashing this...
  • Options
    OMG. Did May make people laugh?
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    edited June 2017
    Dadge said:

How many does May need to stay in power? Take out SF = 646 seats. Half = 323. Take away the Unionists = 313.

330 and she will be out for sure. She'll have failed to achieve her stated aim, which was to increase her majority.

The young girl on QT asking the first question and then following up is doing extremely well.

Debating with your opponents and taking questions from an audience are very different.
  • Options
    Good first couple of answers from the PM. More of this please.
  • Options
    May not doing too bad here.
  • Options
    Yorkshire Tories tell it as it is....
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    No polls tonight?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited June 2017

Conservative support has just not dipped. Not on the doorstep or even in most of these infernal polls. 45% is bloody fantastic. Nothing to suggest we are on for anything other than a comfortable majority.

Except the fact that that 45% is only yielding them a 5% lead in the latest poll.

"Look at the share, not the lead" has to be one of the most bloody stupid mantras I've ever heard. Labour lost the 1951 election despite getting 49%.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Easy ground for her.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Decent Start From PM.

Only Slight Dribble From Bedwetters So Far ....
  • Options
    Shouty Lab man playing into TM hands
  • Options
    Answers reasonably robust so far. But she keeps stumbling over her breaths, looks like she's going to be sick
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    A handy reminder of Jeremy Corbyn's shortcomings as a politician..
    Twitter
    Marc Adams‏ @Cranners007 Jun 1
    Can I remind people thinking of voting Labour: No Labour leader since 1983 has had the confidence to give Jeremy Corbyn a ministerial post
  • Options
    Did she say she had the balls to call an election? :p
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,001
    May has successfully reset expectations and will win the expectations game by talking English coherently.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,281
    She should have worn flats not heels for this.
  • Options
    "I could have stayed PM for another few years"

Good line - makes her look principled.
  • Options
    No deal better than a bad deal bollocks
  • Options
    SchardsSchards Posts: 210
    About 20% of this debate is going to be taken up by audience applauding every question and every answer, would rather they just shut up
  • Options
    OUTOUT Posts: 569

Dimbleby?
  • Options
    Who let that UKIP man in?
  • Options

Power Post!!
  • Options
    bobajobPBbobajobPB Posts: 1,042
    Richard T

Like a lot of what Davis says, his social libertarian instincts appeal to me. But he is pro capital punishments (I think?). That is an immoral and utterly stupid position.
  • Options
    No deal would be a disaster.
  • Options
    OUT said:

Dimbleby?
    Dimbleby though it was a woman :p
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Except the fact that that 45% is only yielding them a 5% lead in the latest poll.

"Look at the share, not the lead" has to be one of the most bloody stupid mantras I've ever heard. Labour lost the 1951 election despite getting 49%.
    Except Labour's share is soft as butter. Based on non Voters doing something this time they have consistently failed to do before.

Differential turnout is going to be massively in the Conservatives favour.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Danny565 said:

The Tory vote is mid to high 40's all along, Lab's rise comes from squeezing the other opposition parties. This is why the Canvas reports and polls are actually fairly well aligned.

• Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097

45% is bloody fantastic.

That's only because UKIP has collapsed and the Lib Dems are in single figures.
  • Options
    @thhamilton: Some say politicians are too influenced by their advisers. But at this exact point in 2015 I advised Ed Miliband not to fall off the stage.
  • Options
    Should steady a few nerves so far.

We need to get on to shakier ground

Grannys House Theft

NHS

Schools

AUSTERITY
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Except Labour's share is soft as butter. Based on non Voters doing something this time they have consistently failed to do before.

Except the pollsters are already downweighting previous non-voters.

If IPSOS-MORI were actually basing their polls on "non voters doing something this time they have consistently failed to do before", then their poll would've given Labour a 3% lead today.
  • Options
    Chris said:

45% is bloody fantastic.

ONLY?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@thhamilton: Some say politicians are too influenced by their advisers. But at this exact point in 2015 I advised Ed Miliband not to fall off the stage.

Surprised they didn't ask the BBC not to have a raised podium. Makes me nervous looking at it!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    Alistair said:

In the final week the SCon vote recedes badly, they easily take BRS but the remaining Lab vote in DCT tactically votes Mundell out. Labour take East Lothian and hold Ed South while the Lib Dems sweep their target seats leaving it 1.SNP, 2. LD, 3.Lab, 4.Con in Scotland.

Financially ruinous, completely hilarious.

The LDs could end up with six seats from about 220,000 votes in Scotland. And with just a couple in the rest of the GB from about two million votes.
  • Options
    @faisalislam: Dimbleby quotes PM from last April "staying EU will make us more prosperous". And yesterday "Brexit will make us more prosperous"
  • Options
    She just looks and sounds duplicitous on Brexit. Anyway, who gives a fuck? I'm breaking a week of sobriety by hitting up a Makers Mark julep made with amazing 59p mint from the local Turkish supermarket.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    JackW said:

Decent Start From PM.

Only Slight Dribble From Bedwetters So Far ....

If she goes on like this I may reduce threat level from critical to severe.
  • Options
    Quantify question is bollocks

This has never been an interrogation so far
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited June 2017
    Danny565 said:

Danny565 said:

Except the pollsters are already downweighting previous non-voters.

If IPSOS-MORI were actually basing their polls on "non voters doing something this time they have consistently failed to do before", then their poll would've given Labour a 3% lead today.
    No, Ipsos do not weight in that way like ICM. The difference between the two figures is only between all respondents and likelihood to vote.
  • Options

Grannys House Theft

NHS

Schools

AUSTERITY

Grannys House Theft

NHS

Schools

AUSTERITY

Lol. Yes, too easy for May, although she is shite on Brexit.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

In the final week the SCon vote recedes badly, they easily take BRS but the remaining Lab vote in DCT tactically votes Mundell out. Labour take East Lothian and hold Ed South while the Lib Dems sweep their target seats leaving it 1.SNP, 2. LD, 3.Lab, 4.Con in Scotland.

Financially ruinous, completely hilarious.

The LDs could end up with six seats from about 220,000 votes in Scotland. And with just a couple in the rest of the GB from about two million votes.
    I think Scotland 2017 will be in PPE courses for the foreseeable future on the subject of the absolute maximal extreme limits of tactical voting.
  • Options
    This is very easy ground for her.

More trouble coming later I'm sure on other topics.
  • Options
    May sounds a bit nervous tbh. Have to wonder why she ran for the leadership....
  • Options
    One third of the time gone and its all Mays strongest subject so far.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Ishmael_Z said:

FF43 said:

Chris said:

I hadn't seen that Tim Farron has again refused to say whether he thinks it's a sin to be homosexual.

Does he have some kind of death wish?

The liberal stance is that it is no-one's business but his own. A nicety I suppose.
    It's a tricky one. If he just said "Being gay is wrong" he'd be toast, but saying "Being gay is wrong, I know this from my invisible friend Big Nobodaddy" seems to be more, rather than even less, acceptable.
    Did he say that? The correct response is, what I think about gay sex is none of your business and what you think or do is none of mine.
    Tisn't, actually, it is very much my business if you aspire (however laughably) to govern me.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Think she's doing less well now. Sinking back into her usual platitudes. And stuttering.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    edited June 2017

I don't want to intrude on private grief but I get the impression you really don't like her!

I encountered her many years ago on a private matter. I was not pleased with the way the dialogue concluded but that is life. Everyday of this election campaign I have doubts about voting Tory but in the end I have concluded that Corbyn is a dramatically worse proposition as PM.
  • Options
    Given how bad TMay is at this type of thing, she's doing alright so far. If it gets onto the 'nicking your old Mum's house' tax, might get a bit shaky.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@faisalislam: Dimbleby quotes PM from last April "staying EU will make us more prosperous". And yesterday "Brexit will make us more prosperous"

Not that she's a liar
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Chris said:

I hadn't seen that Tim Farron has again refused to say whether he thinks it's a sin to be homosexual.

Isn't he entitled to his personal views?
    Not really. I have tried to word an answer three times and each time I have deleted before posting.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

LOL!
  • Options
    This is bollocks coming up to 20 mins of 45 one fookin subject.
  • Options

Given how bad TMay is at this type of thing, she's doing alright so far. If it gets onto the 'nicking your old Mum's house' tax, might get a bit shaky.

I think she had a fairly good answer on that last time though.
  • Options
    chloechloe Posts: 308

She has definitely lost confidence. We are also used to very polished politicians.
  • Options

She is not convincing on Brexit, just boring.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    AndyJS said:

No polls tonight?

Friday night.
  • Options
    MattyNethMattyNeth Posts: 60
    May doing well so far. Have a feeling this Yorkshire crowd are going to gun for Corbyn
  • Options
    MattyNeth said:

May doing well so far. Have a feeling this Yorkshire crowd are going to gun for Corbyn

I am quite literally only watching for this reason.
  • Options
    Anyone with "Diane Abbott" on their QT bingo card tonight is doing exceptionally well.
  • Options

She is not convincing on Brexit, just boring.
    IDK, I feel like it is only us remainers who are not convinced by her on Brexit.
  • Options
    First question on trust a bit more difficult

Still nothing on Social Care
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    RobD said:

Here it comes....
  • Options

RobD said:

Here it comes....
    If they were doing debate prep, it would be over and over on this issue.
  • Options

Cameron (and Blair before him) were really quite exceptionally good at public speaking.
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Chris said:

Not really. I have tried to word an answer three times and each time I have deleted before posting.
    He is a socially conservative Evangelical Christian, but one who doesn't impose his views on others.
  • Options
    OliverOliver Posts: 33
    Every time she refers to the EU as the bogeymen she makes her future job more difficult.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Cameron (and Blair before him) were really quite exceptionally good at public speaking.
    But even Corbyn is better at public speaking than her tbh and he was deemed unelectable by people like me.
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: 'I'll answer the question I was asked, if I May' Dimblebot owned by Maybot. #bbcqt
  • Options
    Minor thing:-

Is it just to my Northern ears, or does May pronounce "collapse" very weirdly (as in when she says "our social care system might collapse")?
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    chloe said:

She has definitely lost confidence. We are also used to very polished politicians.
    Yes, the well polished politician though is usually always replaced by a dull one from the same party. Think Wilson > Callaghan or Thatcher > Major or Blair > Brown and finally Cameron > May.

People seem to like the contrast and lets remember Tony Blair has managed to go from record breaking popularity to record breaking unpopularity. So slick is not always good.
  • Options
    She just drowned herself on the Dementia Tax
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    Does even Dimbleby not understand the floor/cap shizz on social care? Christ.. we are in trouble.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Oliver said:

Every time she refers to the EU as the bogeymen she makes her future job more difficult.

But she makes her majority bigger.
  • Options
    Her voice goes all croaky when she is worried. Same at pmqs.
  • Options
    Dimbleby decides the audience aren't asking the right questions so intervenes
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Chris said:

45% is bloody fantastic.

Nope, that's why Labour are high 30s.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    Ashcroft has the LDs getting less than half the vote share in Orkney & Shetland that they got in Holyrood last year. (See: https://dashboards.lordashcroftpolls.com/Storyboard/RHViewStoryBoard.aspx?RId=²&RLId=²&PId=±´ºµ´&UId=´¹¹¹¼&RpId=2)
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Minor thing:-

Is it just to my Northern ears, or does May pronounce "collapse" very weirdly (as in when she says "our social care system might collapse")?

Yes - she always says "clapse"
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@paulwaugh: 'I'll answer the question I was asked, if I May' Dimblebot owned by Maybot. #bbcqt

Pwned.
  • Options
    She is doing pretty well TBF

Starting to struggle with disabled bloke.
  • Options
    Oh dear. Waffling over the dementia tax. Really is a killer policy.
  • Options
    CyanCyan Posts: 1,262
    Is that a glucose monitor on her right wrist? Does she normally wear one?
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,097

AndyJS said:

Chris said:

He is a socially conservative Evangelical Christian, but one who doesn't impose his views on others.
    Except that he actually voted against banning discrimination on the basis of sexual orientation. If that measure had failed it would have had a very real effect on others.
  • Options
    Cyan said:

Is that a glucose monitor on her right wrist? Does she normally wear one?

Keeping an eye out in case she collapses?
This discussion has been closed.