Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Why TMay must stay – for now

Comments

• Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215
    edited June 2017
    isam said:

isam said:

Labour only got as close as it did because it accepted Brexit was going to happen. It baffles me that some people are trying to make out that the Election result says Brexit should be shelved.
    Has anyone said that? It's more a case of the election result making Brexit impossible to deliver.
    Yes, @Roger has said it for one.

Why is it impossible to deliver now anymore than 48hrs ago? A huge majority of votes voted for parties that are commited to it

Labour is only "committed" to it in the sense that the proximity of the referendum and the views of many of their voters make it impossible for them to change tack and do what almost all of their MPs know is best for Britain. Events, and time, will open up such a path, and the GE has just made that so very much easier.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Osborne as Tory Leader/PM would be a mistake of quite spectacularly epic proportions.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    IanB2 said:

How much better would Lab have done with Cooper covering the HO brief and Diane Abbott off our screens?

If Cooper had been Shadow Home for the last six months plus, and there'd been similar use made of other talent, I reckon they could have become the first party. But actually I'm not even sure May would have called the election, because I doubt that the 20+ point leads would have materialised in the polls!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,964
    Mr. Observer, the far left's grip on Labour has tightened. That is no reason to celebrate.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Further thought. The time to replace the Prime Minister will come when there's someone capable of doing the job better. I don't see such a person right now. Like John Major in the 1990s, no one is better placed to deal with all the different interest groups. Even if all of them disdain her.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    MaxPB said:

Was chatting to someone last night who is utterly opposed to our new pact with the DUP. He described it using "The Snake" and he thinks the DUP will absolutely​fuck us over in the long term and possibly even poison the well for unionism in NI.

And having unionism in Scotland so clearly associated with the whole thing would poison the well there too.
  • Options
    What chance the McDonell amendment making it through conference now?
    Substantially higher than 48 hours ago imo.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Alistair said:

Roger said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

I also think there is fear of Boris among Labour ranks, he won twice in London, a Labour city because he was able to connect with common people a lot more easily than other Tory politicians. He could lead a blue advance into areas that are deep crimson at the moment and if he were to deliver the £350m per week then a lot of the claims of lies would disappear, making it easier for him to win in Labour areas and shore up Tory Remainers.

Fear on Boris is limited to the competence of his administration.

There is little to fear electorally now. Politician have a limited shelf life. Boris already looks a bit like yesterday's man. You normally get about 10 years in the limelight. Boris is on nine.

If anything he is perfectly placed to draw the final curtain on the project his mates started all that time ago.

But I don't think the Tories have much choice now.
    The Tories are screwed. An election in the next two years and Jeremy will win. Change leader and there's even more chance that the government will fall. It'll be interesting to see the next lot of opinion polls. My guess is a collapse in Tory support and with Brexit that's unlikely to improve.
    You don't really believe opinion polls do you?
    Survation Gold Standard. YouGov modelling - gold standard.

Although they did think Labour would win Kensington by 36 rather than the 20 votes they did.
    They should have done a recount.
    I believe that 36 was the Lab lead after one of the recounts.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

A lot to agree with there, but I do think has a proven capability of reaching across the divide. He won twice in London which was and still is a Labour city. Labour anger towards Boris stems from the £350m per week lie, if he delivers £350m per week to the NHS then a lot of that anger will disappear as it won't be a lie.

I'm personally not convinced by Boris, but I do think we need to take a gamble. If he brings in new talent (Kwarteng) and old (Gove, Osborne) then he could lead a strong government despite the fact that May fucked us with the minority.

I don't disagree that he can reach across the divide. There are voters he can reach that the others can't - 52%, including many Labour voters, says a lot about that. The problem is that he is also toxic to some other voters. (@JosiasJessop on here being one example!) To strong Remainers, and/or those who see him as a bumbling incompetent toff, he is very seriously offputting. I think you could get away with him as a campaigner supporting someone else, but not as the main proposition you're asking people to vote for. I don't think he'd carry London now after his role in the Leave campaign.

(I did suggest a few threads that if the Tories want to make a positive statement with a leadership change, rather than one that looks like a post-defeat retreat, they should consider putting making someone smart, fresh-faced and forward-looking like Kwasi PM! But in reality I think it needs to be someone experienced in political chicanery and deal-making in the Commons, and a big enough beast to command respect from the Tory MPs / negotiators in Brussels.)
    Yes, he does have a way of putting some people off, but I think we'd win more than we'd lose, plus we'd win in key areas rather than build up votes in safe Labour seats.

Kwasi needs a big role next time around, so does Priti Patel. We need to bring through the next generation of Tories. Hammond, May, Davis and a few others need to be pensioned off.
    Priti is superficially attractive (don't mean it that way) and I'm sure would give a lot of red meat to the Tory right. But I don't think she'll go down well with swing voters, once they've had a full blast from her. She has some very robust views e.g. on the death penalty, that don't just put people off because they think she might implement them (overall no Tory platform is going to bring back hanging and flogging, the party has moved way too far on) but because it makes people doubt her judgment, values and/or intelligence for believing them.
    As I said previously, if she dropped her support for the death penalty I think she'd be one of the front runners to replace May. She is smart, human, speaks well and can think quickly.
  • Options
    Watching all the Brexiteers furious because they've found that there are other successful forms of crazy populism is very funny.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    ok another random thought as we cast around - Johnny Mercer as Tory leader would certainly punch Labour's bruise in contrast to his background?
  • Options

Alistair said:

Roger said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

I also think there is fear of Boris among Labour ranks, he won twice in London, a Labour city because he was able to connect with common people a lot more easily than other Tory politicians. He could lead a blue advance into areas that are deep crimson at the moment and if he were to deliver the £350m per week then a lot of the claims of lies would disappear, making it easier for him to win in Labour areas and shore up Tory Remainers.

Fear on Boris is limited to the competence of his administration.

There is little to fear electorally now. Politician have a limited shelf life. Boris already looks a bit like yesterday's man. You normally get about 10 years in the limelight. Boris is on nine.

If anything he is perfectly placed to draw the final curtain on the project his mates started all that time ago.

But I don't think the Tories have much choice now.
    The Tories are screwed. An election in the next two years and Jeremy will win. Change leader and there's even more chance that the government will fall. It'll be interesting to see the next lot of opinion polls. My guess is a collapse in Tory support and with Brexit that's unlikely to improve.
    You don't really believe opinion polls do you?
    Survation Gold Standard. YouGov modelling - gold standard.

Although they did think Labour would win Kensington by 36 rather than the 20 votes they did.
    Yep, polls that were widely derided on here
    I was one of the deriders. In my defence of my criticism - on the YuoGov model I said that it was absolutely the right approach but that they couldn't get it right this time and would need a couple of elections to tune it.

So like YouGov I hedged my bets!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    IanB2 said:

Where was the attack on the economy?
    Where was the focus on Labour's policies?
    Where was the daily press conference pounding the opposition's key figures (Abbott etc)

They bet the farm on Corbyn's past being a killer AND on his being useless on the campaign trail - there was a quite explicit decision to stay off the airwaves and "let him hang himself", even some gloating comments to journos that they were complaining to the BBC that he wasn't getting enough airtime. Quibbling about the manifesto was seen as a distraction from the main job of rubbishing him. The Tory strategists were cheerily cynical about it all and precisely deserve what they got.
    :+1:

It was woeful frankly. And deeply cynical.

Presumably the Tories also need a thorough review of their canvassing and data processes and internal focus grouping. Surely some of the swing back from them was being picked up and they would have changed tactics.

Or did it all happen in the last 24 hours?

I have no idea, although as I said yesterday, a family member told me that the mood at his West Midlands medium-sized business changed markedly the day after she failed to turn up to the main TV debate.
    This from a guy in touch with voters for Labour every day is interesting, as anecdotal evidence that the swing came very late -

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2017/06/09/i-phone-banked-for-four-weeks-but-picked-up-no-labour-surge-and-then-on-polling-day-there-it-was/
    V. interesting.

Seems Tory manifesto and its promise of hard times might have cut through:

"So, the economy prevailed once again but this time low income workers, benefit claimants and retirees stepped up."
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    May should never have sacked Osborne

He torpedoed Gordo's snap election with the Death Tax.

If May had included him, he would have torpedoed the Dementia Tax before it made it into the manifesto
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,215

MaxPB said:

Was chatting to someone last night who is utterly opposed to our new pact with the DUP. He described it using "The Snake" and he thinks the DUP will absolutely​fuck us over in the long term and possibly even poison the well for unionism in NI.

And having unionism in Scotland so clearly associated with the whole thing would poison the well there too.
    If - as is quite likely - there is another NI election to resolve the Stormont impasse, this could become a proxy vote on the national situation. The young of the province might easily desert the DUP.
  • Options

Watching all the Brexiteers furious because they've found that there are other successful forms of crazy populism is very funny.

That is a chief source of joy today
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Yes he brought that up too. The resurgence of unionism in Scotland has been built in socially liberal foundations laid by a gay Tory leader. Getting in bed with the DUP takes that party backwards, this won't go unnoticed by our new supporters in Scotland.
  • Options
    @hholyroodmandy: An ultimate humiliation for @NicolaSturgeon would be for Theresa May to give @RuthDavidsonMSP seat at Brexit table 'speaking for Scotland'.
  • Options
    FPT

I fail to see how Boris Johnson could conceivably be considered as a possible suitable future leader of the Conservative Party. Those in any doubt should consider his performance in the notorioius interview with Eddie Mair, dating back to 2013:

http://tinyurl.com/y7jcs3fb

Not only does he come across and an evasive, bumbling idiot, but his actions show him to be, as Mr Mair rightly concludes in my view, a "rather nasty bit of work".
    It's certainly difficult to argue with that and the Tories really do need to look elsewhere and as a matter of some urgency with a view to identifying their next leader .... surely there's someone in their ranks better than this?
  • Options
    EssexGirlEssexGirl Posts: 1
    Hi, Delurking for a moment.

Coming from somewhere that remains safely blue (North Essex), it's clear May ran a terrible campaign with no positives from the comments I've heard over the last few weeks among us normal people. Even my mother, who is right to Attila the Hun and is affectionately called the Jade Empress at home, evaluated it right by commenting that May came across as cold and only looked at the long-term; putting up policies that would help put us in better shape financially but this could have been done anyway bit by bit once in Government and not put up as a main part of the manifesto as most of us expect to have to contribute more at some point.

Anyway, in my view, for the Conservative party to stem further losses (and I am not party affiliated), I think May should go very soon and another election held. I don't believe Boris is the right person to lead the party; fighting big personality (Jeremy) with big personality will cause divisiveness. So why not someone like Dr Sarah Wollaston, she can be seen as stable and safe even though she is a newcomer, as, after all, who doesn't trust a doctor? She has a good background that will appeal to the working and middle class from both sides of the spectrum and can detoxify social care and NHS issues, campaigning to move the party back to a more caring centrist position. Her views on Brexit are an issue as a vocal remainer but if she can state she has accepted the referendum decision and now will represent the best interests of the country as we are leaving that could negate that somewhat. She might not win an election at this stage but could stem further losses and build the party's credibility for the next election.

I also think that Brexit does not have to take centre stage in the election, I honestly believe that out in the real world most accept it will occur and in what shape is really up to what comes up in negotiation. It takes 2 (or in this case 28) to make an agreement and if the EU are unreasonable in the extreme we would may accept a more hardline Brexit position. Perhaps that's just the Essex in me, over here we just get on with it and don't like prolonged agonising, we also don't take any crap.

BTW, I personally am more of a Priti Patel type person but think she is not the best media performer and can come across as a bit patronising at times. It's time for healing and conciliation (but with Brexit still please)!

Right, back to lurkdom....
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Where was the daily press conference pounding the opposition's key figures (Abbott etc)

They bet the farm on Corbyn's past being a killer AND on his being useless on the campaign trail - there was a quite explicit decision to stay off the airwaves and "let him hang himself", even some gloating comments to journos that they were complaining to the BBC that he wasn't getting enough airtime. Quibbling about the manifesto was seen as a distraction from the main job of rubbishing him. The Tory strategists were cheerily cynical about it all and precisely deserve what they got.

Presumably the Tories also need a thorough review of their canvassing and data processes and internal focus grouping. Surely some of the swing back from them was being picked up and they would have changed tactics.

I have no idea, although as I said yesterday, a family member told me that the mood at his West Midlands medium-sized business changed markedly the day after she failed to turn up to the main TV debate.
    This from a guy in touch with voters for Labour every day is interesting, as anecdotal evidence that the swing came very late -

http://labour-uncut.co.uk/2017/06/09/i-phone-banked-for-four-weeks-but-picked-up-no-labour-surge-and-then-on-polling-day-there-it-was/
    V. interesting.

Seems Tory manifesto and its promise of hard times might have cut through:

"So, the economy prevailed once again but this time low income workers, benefit claimants and retirees stepped up."
    Ashcroft says that people who voted Labour made up the bulk of people who decided in the last week.

http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2017/06/result-happen-post-vote-survey/
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Scott_P said:

@hholyroodmandy: An ultimate humiliation for @NicolaSturgeon would be for Theresa May to give @RuthDavidsonMSP seat at Brexit table 'speaking for Scotland'.

That must surely be a no-brainer of a decision. The Scottish Conservatives now have an ample mandate for such a stunt.
  • Options
    LadyBucketLadyBucket Posts: 590
    in spite of Theresa May's catastrophic mistakes in this GE, I believe she is the right person to lead this country AT THIS PARTICULAR TIME. Yes, I expect she will have to go eventually but NOT NOW.

It would be too much to hope that everyone puts away their petty personal vendettas and "briefings" but the country has been saved from a Corbyn/Unite Union government, which would have turned this country into a complete basket case within months (and I go back a long way). The problem young people don't know any of this and just see this "Santa Claus" figure, with his bag of goodies.

I could go on and I'm angry but we cannot in any circumstances have another GE because this man is only a step away from government and the country can't afford him in any shape or form.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,894

Where is it?
  • Options
    Mr. Meeks/Mr. P, are you really pleased that the far left has been emboldened and tightened its grip on Labour?

You think leaving the EU woeful, yet are gladdened and cheery about a second woe?

I can see why you might be pro-EU. I can't see why you're mirthful about the advance of the far left.

Mr. P, problem was that May's circle was too tight and, ultimately, she was too stupid to see how bad the policy was (and there were no lines to defend it, or attack the alternative).
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,046
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Reconnect the party with urban liberals that we've lost. Win back seats like Enfield Southgate, Croydon Central. Advance in Ealing, Enfield North. Win back seats like Leamington.

You might loathe Osborne but he represents a part of the party and support base that we need to win. The current leadership abandoned them to chase Blue Labour voters and we lost our majority. I think a period of silence from your lot would do us all some good.

Perhaps you could explain why the Conservatives worst results in 2015 were in London then ?

Lets take a look:

Enfield Southgate
    2010 Con maj 17.2%
    2015 Con maj 10.4%

Croydon Central
    2010 Con maj 5.9%
    2015 Con maj 0.3%

Ealing Central
    2010 Con maj 7.9%
    2015 Lab maj 0.5%

Enfield North
    2010 Con maj 3.8%
    2015 Lab maj 2.4%

Ilford North
    2010 Con maj 11.5%
    2015 Lab maj 1.2%

And its exactly Osborne's policies of increasing student tuition fees and increasing house prices which has so damaged the Conservatives among the young voters who are proportionally so important in London. Or indeed in places like Leamington.

The facts destroy your cheerleading.

Meanwhile it is those 'Blue Labour' voters who have kept the Conservatives in government. Perhaps you'd would be happy to lose them - too working class or too Northern for your taste maybe ? - and seats such as Stoke S, Walsall N, Mansfield, Derbyshire NE, Copeland, Middlesbrough S. Plus all the other seats dependent upon working class votes for the Conservatives.

And please do not include me in whoever you think 'your lot' refers to.
    But we still held on in enough seats to win a majority last time around. This time we lost seats and lost our majority. You need to face up to that, we won a majority you lost it.
    Again you say 'you lost it' - I am not a Conservative.

What lost it for the Conservatives was the disaster of the campaign - May's personal failings, dementia tax, not offering £350m for the NHS - plus the three failings I outlined down-thread which directly trace back to George Osborne:

1) Robbing the young

2) Not leading by example

3) Trashing Project Fear

I'll add another:

4) Austerity is for the many but not for the rich. Tax cuts for the rich and big business plus vanity projects for the rich such as HS2 while the incomes of millions stagnate and millions give up hope of owning a home. Hope was destroyed by unfairness and became despair and anger.

And if you want to look at lost seats start with those huge swings in student areas - they are a direct consequence of Osborne increasing tuition fees to £9k per year. Back in 2010 I told you all that was the wrong policy and would have disastrous consequences.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    kyf_100 said:

alex. said:

Mr. Abode, it's ridiculous. There's no need for the DUP to be involved. The deal should be cancelled.

If they had a vote on abortion limits, the DUP wouldn't even be eligible for it under EVFEL.
    The optics are terrible. Years of de-toxification undone.

My god, I'm turning into TSE
    My anger is growing not subsiding at Mrs May.

Because of that moron good people like Edward Timpson have been screwed by that failed Turing Test that is Mrs May.
    Morning all.

Like many of you, I'm coming to the conclusion that the longer May stays, the worse this looks for the Tories. And the deal with the DUP is utterly toxic.

The argument is that Corbyn is so dangerous he can't be allowed near the levers of power, but the longer this goes on, the more it looks like when an election is called, Labour will win with a majority of 100 rather than a majority of 10 (or a rainbow coalition).

Better to stand aside now than to send the party into a toxic spiral for the next five years that results in a 1997 style landslide for Labour.

Here's what I think should happen.

May should announce she is standing aside as leader but will continue as caretaker PM.

During this time the Tories should have a long leadership campaign. Months if necessary. Time to find a leader who actually stands FOR something, can set out some kind of positive vision, beyond the thin gruel of austerity so far promised.

And the big one. In the interim, Corbyn, and one or two other Labour people (Kier Starmer?) should be invited into the cabinet as part of a national unity government to last until Brexit negotiations are completed. A GE to happen the day after that.

You heard that right. Get Corbyn in the cabinet. Now. National unity government. It's the least toxic way forward for the Tories. Make the next two years all about Brexit. Everything else on hold.

If Corbyn refuses, he looks small minded and his legions of fans will be unable to understand why, when offered the chance to enter government, he refuses.

If he and other Labour people enter, they can be managed the way Clegg and others in Lib Dems were managed in coalition.

Cauterise the wound, now. Things will only get worse from here otherwise.

Whilst it sounds good your penultimate sentence is why he would not do it under those terms. What could work might be most of the above on the Tories, stand still on all but security issues and events and form a cross party cabinet committee on brexit to ensure all viewpoints are representative. That way the Tories don't get tarnished by DUP association, it could all be concluded in 12 months and then go to the country to set a solid base for the future.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

MaxPB said:

It is already associated in Scotland, it will end in tears.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

If May had included him, he would have torpedoed the Dementia Tax before it made it into the manifesto

Would he have known about it? Wasn't the manifesto all a bit secret squirrel during writing?
  • Options
    DadgeDadge Posts: 2,038
    IanB2 said:

Good piece. I was out in poor parts of Erdington and it still seemed TCTC on the final day - I was still knocking on doors at 8pm and getting a poor response. I think we were very lucky that May's campaign was so bad.

In hindsight the most important thing anyone said in the campaign was in the debate (helped by May's absence) was when Corbyn said his priority was to get the best deal for British workers in Brexit.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,281

Is the only joy from the last 48 hours I've experienced.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    The people I feel most sorry for now are the Blairites. They'll have to knuckle down and believe six impossible things before breakfast.

Uncle Jezza is a cuddly democrat who wants what's best for the UK, his advisors are there by merit, and Tony's achievements were hollow because he was a Tory. They'll have to describe him as a running dog to the capitalist hyena and mean it.

If they backtrack, they'll have a show trial with fifteen-year-olds as the jury. You Tories are lucky.

Hurrah for the NOTA party.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Except, even is she kept him, none of the Cabinet were involved in the manifesto. Perhaps given his status he would have insisted on a veto on its contents.
  • Options

Mr. Meeks/Mr. P, are you really pleased that the far left has been emboldened and tightened its grip on Labour?

You think leaving the EU woeful, yet are gladdened and cheery about a second woe?

I can see why you might be pro-EU. I can't see why you're mirthful about the advance of the far left.

Mr. P, problem was that May's circle was too tight and, ultimately, she was too stupid to see how bad the policy was (and there were no lines to defend it, or attack the alternative).

Mentally I have a backlog of articles to write. This theme is one of them.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Scott_P said:

IHT. Not death tax, that was in 2010.
  • Options
    Miss Girl, welcome to PB.com. I hope you stay de-lurked.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,202

Mr. Observer, no.

This is one of the big reasons why I will never vote Tory.
  • Options

Would he have known about it? Wasn't the manifesto all a bit secret squirrel during writing?

That's my point. He should have remained a key member of the top campaign team.

If you mean that the current chancellor didn't know about it either, then I take your point.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Yes, no one knew about it except Hunt. Ridiculous.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Holy crap - if the AShcroft post vote survey is to belived (and I see no reason to disbelive it) then these are that charts that matter

How 2015 GE voters voted in EuRef

How 2017 GE voters voted in EuRef

• Options
    Scott_P said:

Even she cannot be that stupid , she has had her feet well and truly burnt and surely would not now stick her head in the oven. Only an idiot could even imagine a non Westminster nonentity could be introduced as speaking for Scotland. Your thinking does show the mentality of the extreme unionists in Scotland though and you are fine bedfellows for your partners.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    Owen Paterson isn't even a minister. So it's basically just some random Tory MP chatting BS, then.

Phew. I seriously don't want to see us go backwards on abortion rights and LGBT rights because of the f*cking DUP. More glad than ever I voted for a left of centre party at this GE.
  • Options
    Labout kept it's EU coalition together

Cons lost Remainers
    Snp lost Leavers.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    Mrs May has to stay for the foreseeable future.

Mr Johnson seems to be the preferred choice to replace her on these pages, with victory assured it would seem.

An election in September/October 2016 with Mr Johnson as leader of the Conservatives would have been a walk in the park. He would have been straight off the back of 'his' 'VoteLeave' victory, just back from a fairly uncontroversial double term as London Mayor and at a time when Corbyn was still removing the knives from his back after a very damaging failed coup attempt. That was his moment and Mr Gove scuppered him.

Whereas once Mr Johnson's schoolboy pranks would have once got a hearty slap on the back, more and more people see them as being tiresome. He is after all Foreign Secretary, not a lower-sixth form japester. I cite reading Peston's notes as an example. Yes Corbyn remains a joke, but to fewer people than we had imagined.

For the time being, at least I see no shoo-in at an early election for any of the current crop of Tory generals.
  • Options

I said at the time that the Brexit campaign of sweeties for all was a bad idea

That the campaign worked is a tragedy. That the proponents are outraged by other political movements aping the success, is a farce

Laughter is the appropriate response
  • Options

Scott_P said:

That must surely be a no-brainer of a decision. The Scottish Conservatives now have an ample mandate for such a stunt.
    Another nutter, how do you work that one out with less than 20% of seats , and
    not in Government. Hard to believe you Tory nutjobs have not learned reality from the vote, still living in cloud cuckoo land.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Capital gains tax. Not death tax, that was in 2010.
    Tobe all pedantic:

Actually, iirc Osborne torpedoed the idea of a snap election by Brown using IHT as a weapon.

Death tax, as a phrase, was used when there was discussion, cross-party, of an extra element of duty on all estates - 10% maybe. Burnham I think was running with this idea. This would have been for social care and was not related to IHT.

• Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,435

Scott_P said:

Yes. The only reason May is back in number 10 is because Scotland has saved her (I can't quite believe I'm writing that - what a realignment from just 10 years ago!) The Scottish Conservative position on Brexit must therefore be actively taken into account and respected.

• Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,933
    EssexGirl said:

Anyway, in my view, for the Conservative party to stem further losses (and I am not party affiliated), I think May should go very soon and another election held. I don't believe Boris is the right person to lead the party; fighting big personality (Jeremy) with big personality will cause divisiveness. So why not someone like Dr Sarah Wollaston, she can be seen as stable and safe even though she is a newcomer, as, after all, who doesn't trust a doctor? She has a good background that will appeal to the working and middle class from both sides of the spectrum and can detoxify social care and NHS issues, campaigning to move the party back to a more caring centrist position. Her views on Brexit are an issue as a vocal remainer but if she can state she has accepted the referendum decision and now will represent the best interests of the country as we are leaving that could negate that somewhat. She might not win an election at this stage but could stem further losses and build the party's credibility for the next election.

I also think that Brexit does not have to take centre stage in the election, I honestly believe that out in the real world most accept it will occur and in what shape is really up to what comes up in negotiation. It takes 2 (or in this case 28) to make an agreement and if the EU are unreasonable in the extreme we would may accept a more hardline Brexit position. Perhaps that's just the Essex in me, over here we just get on with it and don't like prolonged agonising, we also don't take any crap.

BTW, I personally am more of a Priti Patel type person but think she is not the best media performer and can come across as a bit patronising at times. It's time for healing and conciliation (but with Brexit still please)!

Hello and welcome!

I agree. Boris is divisive. He's also toxic to a huge swathe of the electorate because he's so associated with leave. But I presume Wollaston will be toxic with a huge swathe of her own party.

Detoxification is the right choice right now - but who can detoxify and how best to do it? I've already set out my case for a national unity government but since that's pretty unlikely to happen, the question becomes - who in the Conservative party is the least toxic?

You'd probably end up with Hammond, who is a John Major style nonentity in the eyes of the wider electorate. The fact that the Tories would struggle to put up a single other candidate who isn't seen as toxic tells you everything you need to know about the situation we're in right now.

The longer this goes on, the more everything and everyone associated with this administration will become utterly toxic.

Labour will legitimately be able to claim "vote Conservative and get a coalition of chaos led by far-right extremists!" next election. Delicious irony.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,954
    edited June 2017
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Yes he brought that up too. The resurgence of unionism in Scotland has been built in socially liberal foundations laid by a gay Tory leader. Getting in bed with the DUP takes that party backwards, this won't go unnoticed by our new supporters in Scotland.
    Och, some of them will be fine with it.

'Unionists launch homophobic attack on Glasgow gay councillor'

'Double blow: Tories suspend councillors in anti-Catholic and race bigotry scandal'

'Shut your whinging mouths' Scottish Tory candidate suspended over anti-Muslim rant'

'Scottish Tories engulfed in racism scandal with at least seven council candidates now in the spotlight'

• Options
    malcolmg said:

Even she cannot be that stupid , she has had her feet well and truly burnt and surely would not now stick her head in the oven. Only an idiot could even imagine a non Westminster nonentity could be introduced as speaking for Scotland. Your thinking does show the mentality of the extreme unionists in Scotland though and you are fine bedfellows for your partners.

That's a Tweet from a SNP sympathetic journalist.

Take your head out your arse for just a second before commenting
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

That's my point. He should have remained a key member of the top campaign team.

If you mean that the current chancellor didn't know about it either, then I take your point.
    I may have misunderstood but my impression was that it was a bit of surprise to everyone.
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    Alistair said:

Labout kept it's EU coalition together

Cons lost Remainers
    Snp lost Leavers.

The combination of Corbyn's long standing Euroscepticism with Labour's remain stance found the perfect sweet spot.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    edited June 2017
    Says that Ruth has been given assurances over gay rights (that's the power/clout she has these days after that result!) in regards to the deal with the DUP.

I expect we won't see any formal deal, just an agreement, supply and confidence sort of deal. We will have to give them probably some commitment to spending in NI on things like infrastructure.

I think it can work for a while.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Yes. The only reason May is back in number 10 is because Scotland has saved her (I can't quite believe I'm writing that - what a realignment from just 10 years ago!) The Scottish Conservative position on Brexit must therefore be actively taken into account and respected.

LOL, have they done something to the water down there, nutjobs abound.
  • Options
    kyf_100 said:

EssexGirl said:

snip

Hello and welcome!

I agree. Boris is divisive. He's also toxic to a huge swathe of the electorate because he's so associated with leave. But I presume Wollaston will be toxic with a huge swathe of her own party.

Detoxification is the right choice right now - but who can detoxify and how best to do it? I've already set out my case for a national unity government but since that's pretty unlikely to happen, the question becomes - who in the Conservative party is the least toxic?

You'd probably end up with Hammond, who is a John Major style nonentity in the eyes of the wider electorate. The fact that the Tories would struggle to put up a single other candidate who isn't seen as toxic tells you everything you need to know about the situation we're in right now.

The longer this goes on, the more everything and everyone associated with this administration will become utterly toxic.

Labour will legitimately be able to claim "vote Conservative and get a coalition of chaos led by far-right extremists!" next election. Delicious irony.
    Yes, welcome to EssexGirl.

The irony is superb isn't it? From 'Strong and Stable' to May's very own 'Coalition of Choas'.

Boudicca to busted flush in four weeks.

• Options
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

That's a Tweet from a SNP sympathetic journalist.

Take your head out your arse for just a second before commenting
    Don't talk crap , it is from a thick stupid halfwit. A moron could see it would be wrong on all fronts and absolutely impossible to justify. The donkey is not leading anything other than the regional losers party office. Minority in Holyrood and minority in Westminster. She cannot speak for Scotland only for a MINORITY.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Says that Ruth has been given assurances over gay rights (that's the power she has these days after that result!) in regards to the deal with the DUP.

I expect we won't see any formal deal, just an agreement, supply and confidence sort of deal. We will have to give them probably some commitment to spending in NI on things like infrastructure.

Yes that will be like the assurances there would be no election , and the various other u turns. You numpties are easily pleased.
  • Options
    Clown_Car_HQClown_Car_HQ Posts: 169

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I'm personally not convinced by Boris, but I do think we need to take a gamble. If he brings in new talent (Kwarteng) and old (Gove, Osborne) then he could lead a strong government despite the fact that May fucked us with the minority.

And what's the talented George Osborne going to do ?

Increase student tuition fees ?
    Increase house prices ?
    Increase pensions ?
    Increase immigration ?
    Increase borrowing for vanity projects ?

I keep asking the George Osborne cheerleaders this question but I never receive a reply.
    Reconnect the party with urban liberals that we've lost. Win back seats like Enfield Southgate, Croydon Central. Advance in Ealing, Enfield North. Win back seats like Leamington.

You might loathe Osborne but he represents a part of the party and support base that we need to win. The current leadership abandoned them to chase Blue Labour voters and we lost our majority. I think a period of silence from your lot would do us all some good.
    Perhaps you could explain why the Conservatives worst results in 2015 were in London then ?

Lets take a look:

Enfield Southgate
    2010 Con maj 17.2%
    2015 Con maj 10.4%

Croydon Central
    2010 Con maj 5.9%
    2015 Con maj 0.3%

Ealing Central
    2010 Con maj 7.9%
    2015 Lab maj 0.5%

Enfield North
    2010 Con maj 3.8%
    2015 Lab maj 2.4%

Ilford North
    2010 Con maj 11.5%
    2015 Lab maj 1.2%

And it is Osborne's policies of increasing student tuition fees and increasing house prices which have so damaged the Conservatives among the young voters who are proportionally so important in London. Or indeed in places like Leamington.

The facts destroy your cheerleading.

Meanwhile it is those 'Blue Labour' voters who have kept the Conservatives in government. Perhaps you'd would be happy to lose them - too working class or too Northern for your taste maybe ? - and seats such as Stoke S, Walsall N, Mansfield, Derbyshire NE, Copeland, Middlesbrough S. Plus all the other seats dependent upon working class votes for the Conservatives.

And please do not include me in whoever you think 'your lot' refers to.
    I also continue to be puzzled by the adoration of Osborne. He isn't the answer to the Tory party's problems. I think they are now in a period of decline aside from Scotland.

I only voted Tory in the end because It was a personal vote for an MP who is competent and actively involved in local issues.

May is hopeless and failed to capitalise on support in the North, Midlands and Wales. That has now gone and won't return. She let Corbyn get his foot in the door and he will charge through at the next opportunity.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Don't talk crap , it is from a thick stupid halfwit.

She's the managing editor

http://www.holyrood.com

Your disdain for fellow Scots is the principle reason the SNP project is on the wane
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,933
    nichomar said:

kyf_100 said:

May should announce she is standing aside as leader but will continue as caretaker PM.

During this time the Tories should have a long leadership campaign. Months if necessary. Time to find a leader who actually stands FOR something, can set out some kind of positive vision, beyond the thin gruel of austerity so far promised.

And the big one. In the interim, Corbyn, and one or two other Labour people (Kier Starmer?) should be invited into the cabinet as part of a national unity government to last until Brexit negotiations are completed. A GE to happen the day after that.

You heard that right. Get Corbyn in the cabinet. Now. National unity government. It's the least toxic way forward for the Tories. Make the next two years all about Brexit. Everything else on hold.

If Corbyn refuses, he looks small minded and his legions of fans will be unable to understand why, when offered the chance to enter government, he refuses.

If he and other Labour people enter, they can be managed the way Clegg and others in Lib Dems were managed in coalition.

Whilst it sounds good your penultimate sentence is why he would not do it under those terms. What could work might be most of the above on the Tories, stand still on all but security issues and events and form a cross party cabinet committee on brexit to ensure all viewpoints are representative. That way the Tories don't get tarnished by DUP association, it could all be concluded in 12 months and then go to the country to set a solid base for the future.
    I agree, Corbyn wouldn't be stupid enough to walk into a huge bear trap like the lib dems.

I actually changed my language before posting, I originally said 'controlled the way the lib dems were', which I don't think would be the case this time. For starters, Labour are too big a party to be the junior member or be pushed around.

By managed, I mean you could get a situation where Labour could be near or even at the levers of power without the socialist terror some of the more right wing people here fear would be the case if they governed alone.

I think you'd probably have a situation where a national unity government would negotiate between the two parties then publish a manifesto of exactly what it planned to achieve in the next two years. Accomplish that together then election the day after.

It seems to me like the best way forward out of this mess.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:

"nonentity"..... the saviour of the tory party, nation and my wallet. I think not!

The obvious choice would presumably be to get Salmond or Robertson involved - they've got plenty of time to do so afterall.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

The voters massively reaffirmed that Brexit means Brexit. The only thing we learned last the specifics during the election was that if the EU offered us the shittiest of shitty deals and refused to budge an inch, Corbyn would still have taken it.

No, we also learned that voters agreed "no deal is better than a bad deal" was the jumped up bollocks we always knew it to be

Your vision of Brexit was put to the electorate, and they told you where to stick it
    Yes, the best interpretation of this election in England and Wales is that it was anti-austerity and anti-hard brexit. The electorate has disagreed with the premise that no deal is better than a deal (and it will be a bad deal, we've voted down the only good deal, which was to remain).
  • Options
    LucyJonesLucyJones Posts: 651

LucyJones said:

The dementia tax was unpopular because of the impact on a man's ability to leave his house to his issue.

I think May, Hill and Timothy are all childless. Coincidence?

The dementia tax was unpopular because of the impact on a man's ability to leave his house to his issue.

I think May, Hill and Timothy are all childless. Coincidence?

Bit of a moot point at this stage, but I have to say I am confused about the dementia tax and why it was worse than the current system. Right now, people already have to sell their homes to pay for care if they can't pay for it out of income or savings:
    http://www.ageuk.org.uk/home-and-care/care-homes/the-means-test-and-your-property/
    The current system was to be exyteded to care at home - albeit with the £23,000 floor increased to £100,000 and the existing proposed £72,000 ceiling on contributions being re-considered.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Scott_P said:

malcolmg said:

Don't talk crap , it is from a thick stupid halfwit.

She's the managing editor

http://www.holyrood.com

Your disdain for fellow Scots is the principle reason the SNP project is on the wane
    I am not and have never been anything to do with the SNP. The fact that a large portion of the Scottish population are thick numpties is there for anybody to see.
    You are obviously looking forward to Labour running Scotland again , I am not.
    Only consolation is that it will never be the Tories.

PS: Some day they may grow a backbone but I doubt I will see it given the amount of lickspittle fearties around at present, a shell of a country nowadays.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    I've been led to believe this guy is going to the Lords and will have a ministerial post there....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kLiThrwEpyc
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

I don't disagree that he can reach across the divide. There are voters he can reach that the others can't - 52%, including many Labour voters, says a lot about that. The problem is that he is also toxic to some other voters. (@JosiasJessop on here being one example!) To strong Remainers, and/or those who see him as a bumbling incompetent toff, he is very seriously offputting. I think you could get away with him as a campaigner supporting someone else, but not as the main proposition you're asking people to vote for. I don't think he'd carry London now after his role in the Leave campaign.

(I did suggest a few threads that if the Tories want to make a positive statement with a leadership change, rather than one that looks like a post-defeat retreat, they should consider putting making someone smart, fresh-faced and forward-looking like Kwasi PM! But in reality I think it needs to be someone experienced in political chicanery and deal-making in the Commons, and a big enough beast to command respect from the Tory MPs / negotiators in Brussels.)

Yes, he does have a way of putting some people off, but I think we'd win more than we'd lose, plus we'd win in key areas rather than build up votes in safe Labour seats.

Kwasi needs a big role next time around, so does Priti Patel. We need to bring through the next generation of Tories. Hammond, May, Davis and a few others need to be pensioned off.
    Priti is superficially attractive (don't mean it that way) and I'm sure would give a lot of red meat to the Tory right. But I don't think she'll go down well with swing voters, once they've had a full blast from her. She has some very robust views e.g. on the death penalty, that don't just put people off because they think she might implement them (overall no Tory platform is going to bring back hanging and flogging, the party has moved way too far on) but because it makes people doubt her judgment, values and/or intelligence for believing them.
    As I said previously, if she dropped her support for the death penalty I think she'd be one of the front runners to replace May. She is smart, human, speaks well and can think quickly.
    Human? Arrogant, I'd say. Rudd seems much more human of late.
  • Options

Surely not - look to the North...
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

alex. said:

Mr. Abode, it's ridiculous. There's no need for the DUP to be involved. The deal should be cancelled.

If they had a vote on abortion limits, the DUP wouldn't even be eligible for it under EVFEL.

Because of that moron good people like Edward Timpson have been screwed by that failed Turing Test that is Mrs May.
    Edward Timpson will be just fine
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Only consolation is that it will never be the Tories.

A prediction to be filed along with all of your other spectacularly wrong prognostications about Scottish Tories

Your record is impeccable
  • Options
    Charles said:

alex. said:

Nicola Blackwood? :cry:
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    kyf_100 said:

nichomar said:

kyf_100 said:

I agree, Corbyn wouldn't be stupid enough to walk into a huge bear trap like the lib dems.

I actually changed my language before posting, I originally said 'controlled the way the lib dems were', which I don't think would be the case this time. For starters, Labour are too big a party to be the junior member or be pushed around.

By managed, I mean you could get a situation where Labour could be near or even at the levers of power without the socialist terror some of the more right wing people here fear would be the case if they governed alone.

I think you'd probably have a situation where a national unity government would negotiate between the two parties then publish a manifesto of exactly what it planned to achieve in the next two years. Accomplish that together then election the day after.

It seems to me like the best way forward out of this mess.
    As an aside it would give them all a chance to refill the war chest!
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Morning all

Cheers Mr Herdson, an accurate and concise post on the pickle the government now finds itself in. Look forward to the next instalment on how a new PM will address these problems.
  • Options
    If its true that May and his team are all childless and thus saw nothing wrong with the 'dementia tax' then I wonder if things would have been different with Andrea Leadsom as PM.

Perhaps those PBers who were so critical of Leadson's "being a mother" line might now like to view their criticism in a different light ?
  • Options
    edited June 2017
    Also this decision to do a deal with the DUP is looking to be yet another own goal by May.

A Tory MP's speculation (Paterson/Abortion) is already leading to those on twitter having a meltdown, saying they are getting huge anxiety over him even saying *might*. LOL.

• Options
    malcolmg said:

jonny83 said:

Says that Ruth has been given assurances over gay rights (that's the power she has these days after that result!) in regards to the deal with the DUP.

Yes that will be like the assurances there would be no election , and the various other u turns. You numpties are easily pleased.
    How is May going to solve the crisis in NI?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited June 2017

alex. said:

I posted this yesterday. Friend was on the blower from that area spitting feathers about Timpson losing and they aren't even natural Tory supporter, but thought he was a decent person and good constituency MP.

It is mighty impressive to piss people off so much that your candidate in a Brexit supporting area, who has had no scandal or said dinosaur-esque stuff, and family name has wide brand recognition as a good employer and lots of work for chairty manages to lose.
  • Options
    Mr. Borough, people tend to forget that Boudicca's rebellion failed.

I think (could be wrong, not read of it for ages) that she was really just a figurehead for the likes of Caratacus and Togdumnus[sp].
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

True. But it's also why Labour shouldn't be complacent about the next election. E.g. Kensington likely Tory gain & am sure there are others
  • Options
    A Lab/Con coalition would be the best thing for the country. Involving minority parties in govt is always to be avoided. But the Tories would insist on a change of Labour leader, so it's not remotely possible. The idea of a cross-party Brexit team is very good though.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited June 2017

........An unfunctioning government with a lame duck PM trying to navigate our way through Brexit when 48% of the country (including 75% of the business community 90% of the Service Sector and 65% of MPs) think the idea is barking......

Eureka!!!. Lets get rid of two of Theresa May's advisors!!

• Options

alex. said:

I posted this yesterday. Friend was on the blower from that area spitting feathers about Timpson losing and they aren't even natural Tory supporter, but thought he was a decent person and good constituency MP.

It is mighty impressive to piss people off so much that your candidate in a Brexit supporting area, who has had no scandal or said dinosaur-esque stuff, and family name has wide brand recognition as a good employer and lots of work for chairty manages to lose.
    I have friends in Crewe who I know voted Labour. I suggest you lost many seats because public sector workers who work hard day and night to provide education, health and services for the common good and who might otherwise be natural Tory supporters have had enough of the Tory Government treating them like pariahs.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

alex. said:

Very little of this seems to have affected English safe seats. The Tory percentage vote increased from about 50-55 to 60%, e.g. in

North Shropshire
    Ludlow
    North Herefordshire

Mole Valley
    Surrey Heath

The first area is Leave, the second is Remain.
  • Options
    Charles said:

alex. said:

Charles IIRC you're based in Kensington - I remember you saying you had voted against Borwick when she was selected to replace Rifkind.

If so it pains me to think of you living in a Labour constituency. Might I suggest a relocation:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/find.html?locationIdentifier=REGION^906&maxPrice=60000&includeSSTC=false
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Charles said:

True. But it's also why Labour shouldn't be complacent about the next election. E.g. Kensington likely Tory gain & am sure there are others
    Maybe, but I wouldn't count on it.
  • Options
    Charles said:

Yes, with a better leader and no attack on property rights Kensington, Canterbury and a few others will swing back fairly easily.
  • Options

If its true that May and his team are all childless and thus saw nothing wrong with the 'dementia tax' then I wonder if things would have been different with Andrea Leadsom as PM.

Perhaps those PBers who were so critical of Leadson's "being a mother" line might now like to view their criticism in a different light ?

Bollocks.

I believe Ruth Davidson is childless and she knows how to come up with successful policies.

By your logic, the most qualified person to be Prime Minister is Mick Phillpot
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

TSE

I know you like Osborne personally (in-person we are often told he is far more likeable than his public persona!), you agree with his economic and political philosophy and the direction he wanted the Tory party to move in, and you also think he's talented on the strategic side.

Do you think he would have been able to "front" the party and win an election as Prime Minister? Or could he only have done the business as a right-hand man?

The guy is the face of austerity and is hated, viscerally, by many people the party could do with attracting (public sector workers, people on benefits or with disabled family members etc) while his metropolitanism may not have enthused shire Tories. There's a reason he was booed at the Olympics. There are people I know who are potential Tory voters but detest him with a fervour even worse than what I've seen for other political hate figures.

Do you think he could have detoxed himself with these voters, that they might have warmed to him if they saw more of his natural personality? (I know he was having a go, and the haircut was an improvement, but it takes a bit more than that!) Or that they would in the end have voted for perceived competence even if they didn't like him personally? Or that you'd have to sacrifice these votes, but would make gains elsewhere under Osborne (e.g. if the Northern Powerhouse attracted northern voters)?

For me, I struggle to see how he could have won as PM, but then my view is clouded - Osborne was the main reason that I didn't consider voting Conservative even back in 2010, and several people I know were likewise. (I seem to recall Tim late of this parish thought that Cameron might have won a majority in 2010 if he had had a more palatable shadow chancellor - I don't know whether that's true, but I'm sure it would have shifted some votes.) I don't hate Osborne like many people I know do. But I still may not be seeing the positive qualities in him as others in the country do.

+1. Politics, unlike most endeavours, is unusually cruel in that it is impossible to "re-invent" yourself. Politicians are stuck with the image they earn, and cannot change it however hard they try. Cf. one newly unemployed former MP from Sheffield.
    I think you can reinvent yourself in politics but it is bloody difficult. Some time away from the fray may do Osorne's public image some good (as it has for Ed Balls or Michael Portillo, though neither of them seem set to return to politics - a waste of talent in Ed's case, and as Brexiteer I had hoped Portillo would come back to front the Leave campaign which I was afraid at the time was a one-chance-in-a-lifetime that we were about to lose). But to reinvent yourself you really need to go on "a journey". Osborne seems far too smug to do that, though that's obviously only my impression of the man.
  • Options
    Mr. Charles, I've read both that 1,700 votes the other way would've given May a majority, and 2,700 the other way would've led to PM Corbyn (presumably in coalition).

Next election I might stick to betting on minor parties. As with 2015, the polling for them was rather more accurate.

Ms. Apocalypse, own goal is excessively polite. It's unnecessary and insane, and should be cancelled [although I am wryly observing those entirely content with Corbyn's IRA-sympathising suddenly deciding that the DUP is unacceptable].
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,595

I am utterly confused. This is exactly the same as the Tory plan. If there is no FOM, there is no EEA, therefore there needs to be a deal outside of the SM and Customs Union. Which is what May is doing.

This all sounds wonderful, apart from the bit where the EU foist unreasonable conditions that make such a deal impossible.

There is simply NO point in going on about how there 'has' to be a deal when the only way to assure a 'deal' is to accept terms that are potentially completely unreasonable.

Well indeed. In fact if you look at the Labour manifesto, there are a lot of similarities of approach on the detail with the Conservative approach. For example an end to freedom of movement was (eventually) a commitment of Labour too. One of the main point of differences is the unequivocal Labour commitment to retaining existing EU employment, consumer and environmental protections, but by retaining the level playing field of the social market that would surely make a deal easier not harder to reach.

So the main barrier to a deal is not the ability of the UK to offer reasonable terms, but the desire of the EU bureaucracy to ensure that the UK is punished for Brexit, regardless of the damage that is done to EU export markets as a consequence. The question of whether a deal is reached is not the terms offered by the UK but whether the EU bureaucracy can get away with resisting one for political reasons that are contrary to the economic interests of its nation states.
  • Options

Bollocks.

I believe Ruth Davidson is childless and she knows how to come up with successful policies.

I think having no empathy and not having their own kids was definitely a factor.
  • Options
    Charles said:

alex. said:

I'm sure he will be.

It's the Tory Party that might not be fine is the bigger issue.
  • Options
    Side note: political reinvention also takes time. It strikes me that modern political careers seem shorter than half a century ago which leaves less scope for transformation. Perhaps modern political careers are too short - though we seem to accumulate a lot of dead wood on back benches who can spend 3 decades doing nothing, a lot of talented people only seem to last a couple of years in the limelight. I'd rather more of the talented ones had the longevity of Ken Clarke and that the lobby fodder had a higher turnover so we could find fresh talent...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Charles said:

Yes, with a better leader and no attack on property rights Kensington, Canterbury and a few others will swing back fairly easily.
    If Labour offers an end to tuition fees and the Conservatives support them then urban middle class areas wont get easier to win for the Conservatives.

Likewise if home ownership continues to fall in middle class urban areas.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    Charles said:

This is true. Labour had a number of factors helping them out this time round that may not be there next time. That's​ why they need to work hard to build a broad coalition of support and get all of the PLP pulling in the same direction.
  • Options

Bollocks.

Agreed.

• Options

Surely not - look to the North...
    That too. Always nice when a 20/1 bet and tip come off.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    MaxPB said:

Charles said:

Canterbury maybe, but London is and will continue to swing for Labour. Tories will be left with a handful of seats around the periphery.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Scott_P said:

I said at the time that the Brexit campaign of sweeties for all was a bad idea

That the campaign worked is a tragedy. That the proponents are outraged by other political movements aping the success, is a farce

Laughter is the appropriate response
    so youre 21 and a bloke walks up to you and says put a cross in this box and you can have £27k

what would you do ?
This discussion has been closed.