Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The BES data that appears to show the impact of the CON manife

13»

Comments

• MP_SE2MP_SE2 Posts: 77

I'm overtired and in need of sleep, but is this a horrible misuse of an apostrophe?

https://twitter.com/MsHelicat/status/892820109793918976

That is what a Cambridge education does to you.
  • isamisam Posts: 40,721
    edited August 2017
    Charles said:

SeanT said:

This has become the dullest website. Sorry. I used to love the badinage, and I relished the cut n thrust. But something has happened. For me at least (and this is an entirely personal opinion)

Too much politics - Brexit and Sindy and Corbyn and Trump - has maybe killed it. For now.

I hope vivacity returns. Good luck.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Well, not the exact words, but they meant the same thing!
    Agreed - it's also the repetition of the same people making the same points about the same topics.
    :+1: Exactly.

It's like that mate who is obsessed with a girl and crowbars her into every topic of conversation. After a while he stops getting the "Who's up for a beer?" texts

• RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

I'm overtired and in need of sleep, but is this a horrible misuse of an apostrophe?

To be pedantic the apostrophe is correct. It is the s that follows it that is wrong.
  • I'm overtired and in need of sleep, but is this a horrible misuse of an apostrophe?

To be pedantic the apostrophe is correct. It is the s that follows it that is wrong.
    Yeah, you can tell I'm in need of sleep.
  • MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    isam said:

Charles said:

SeanT said:

This has become the dullest website. Sorry. I used to love the badinage, and I relished the cut n thrust. But something has happened. For me at least (and this is an entirely personal opinion)

Too much politics - Brexit and Sindy and Corbyn and Trump - has maybe killed it. For now.

You took the words right out of my mouth. Well, not the exact words, but they meant the same thing!
    Agreed - it's also the repetition of the same people making the same points about the same topics.

It's like that mate who is obsessed with a girl and crowbars her into every topic of conversation. After a while he stops getting the "Who's up for a beer?" texts

Stop knocking SeanT for going on and on about his 20 odd year old girl friend !!!
    edited August 2017
    SeanT said:

The people who were used to winning lost twice in quick succession and cant deal with it. So they conduct open group therapy on here. 2 mins hate, stream of consciousness outpourings, repetition, denial, intellectual snobbery, name calling, the whole shebang

isam said:

Charles said:

SeanT said:

Stop knocking SeanT for going on and on about his 20 odd year old girl friend !!!
    :lol: Very good!
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,232

What's wrong with it? Apostrophe s always follows the singular to denote possession. (The one exception is for names like Bridges or Hermes where that would generate an ugly double 'iz' sound at the end.)
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    SeanT said:

Absolutely agreed. I think I visited about four times in the last month or so and each time I gave up because it's just boring. It's the same four or five people making the same four or five points over and over again.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542

If you speak it I think it needs the 'S to be meaningful, which would guide my punctuation. Of course you could rephrase it as " the salary of a FTSE 100 boss". Four S's (um) in succession looks odd.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited August 2017
    Looks like the Russians aren't happy with Trump (though Mr Medvedev needs a lesson in the separation of powers)

https://twitter.com/MedvedevRussiaE/status/892847115281485824
  • TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited August 2017
    For me, at the moment, the pre-eminent source of comedy, shock, & horror is following Trump's latest gaffes. For horror especially he knocks SeanT into a hat.
  • Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    edited August 2017
    Trumpton

Russian PM Dimitri Medvedev, in a manner that bears all the hallmarks of someone working in a defacto dictatorship, reckons Trump has shown 'total weakness' by having to bow to Congress' sanctions bill.

Privately Russia knows its little knock about game is about to be put to bed and internally it's been acknowledged for a few weeks. Whats worse, every action has has a reaction, so they can expect a particularly hard time when the dust kicked up by Trump clears. Their No.1 objective was sanctions relief, yet they still have the sanctions but with some added bite. Those sanctions hurt, not just the Russian economy but some very notable players in the kleptocratic Russian mafia state.

Do they decide to hasten their surrogate's downfall or just let the people back in the USA get on with it?

We should know within a week or two.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,548
    SeanT said:

Good of you yawn inducers to crawl out of the woodwork to tell us how boring we are.

Still, at least the the incidence of treason accusations has dropped recently.

Y0kel said:

Trumpton

Russian PM Dimitri Medvedev, in a manner that bears all the hallmarks of someone working in a defacto dictatorship, reckons Trump has shown 'total weakness' by having to bow to Congress' sanctions bill.

Privately Russia knows its little knock about game is about to be put to bed and internally been acknowledged for a few weeks. Whats worse, every action has has a reaction, so they can expect a particularly hard time when the dust kicked up by Trump clears. Their No.1 objective was sanctions relief, yet they still have the sanctions but with some added bite. Those sanctions hurt, not just the Russian economy but some very notable players in the kleptocratic Russian mafia state.

Do they decide to hasten their surrogate's downfall or just let the people back in the USA get on with it?

Not really a surrogate; just a useful idiot.

• FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

Fenman said:

I want to place a bet for a particular potential candidate for the Democrat nominee for 2020. My candidate is not mentioned by any of the betting websites. How do I go about this?

If you have Twitter you can ask people like @LadPolitics, @SharpeAngle @PPPolitics to price up your candidate.
    Thanks, I'll do that
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    Y0kel said:

Trumpton

To me the interesting question is not so much what happens to Trump but what happens to Russia. Their big information war against the west has gone sour after the initial appearance of being a great success, sanctions are getting tougher, their military adventures are becoming costlier and oil prices remain fairly low. A dramatic implosion of the regime can't be ruled out.
    Nigelb said:

Y0kel said:

Trumpton

Privately Russia knows its little knock about game is about to be put to bed and internally been acknowledged for a few weeks. Whats worse, every action has has a reaction, so they can expect a particularly hard time when the dust kicked up by Trump clears. Their No.1 objective was sanctions relief, yet they still have the sanctions but with some added bite. Those sanctions hurt, not just the Russian economy but some very notable players in the kleptocratic Russian mafia state.

He is a surrogate.

Within days of his election, I was looking for markets on his survival in post, the rap sheet against him on many counts was that bad. Half of it still isn't out in public.
    Y0kel said:

Nigelb said:

Y0kel said:

Trumpton

He is a surrogate.

Within days of his election, I was looking for markets on his survival in post, the rap sheet against him on many counts was that bad. Half of it still isn't out in public.
    I'm sure you're right - it's even just conceivable (though unlikelly, IMO) that he's compromised to the extent that he's a Russian asset, but that still doesn't make him a surrogate.
    Patsy, seems most likely.
  • viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,230
    Y0kel said:

He is a surrogate.

Nah, it's just his middle-age spread... :)

• Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Fenman said:

Fenman said:

I want to place a bet for a particular potential candidate for the Democrat nominee for 2020. My candidate is not mentioned by any of the betting websites. How do I go about this?

If you have Twitter you can ask people like @LadPolitics, @SharpeAngle @PPPolitics to price up your candidate.
    Thanks, I'll do that
    But make sure you ask for several names, so that they don't know which one you think might be a hot tip.
    FF43 said:

If you speak it I think it needs the 'S to be meaningful, which would guide my punctuation. Of course you could rephrase it as " the salary of a FTSE 100 boss". Four S's (um) in succession looks odd.
    Isn't it bosses' ?
    isam said:

FF43 said:

Isn't it bosses' ?
    No, because 'earn a salary of a bosses' would be ungrammatical.
    isam said:

Charles said:

SeanT said:

Any good bets coming up? Gernan federal's on Sep 24. (Incidentally, we missed the Indian presidential totally)
    edited August 2017

isam said:

FF43 said:

Isn't it bosses' ?
    I meant the star headline not FF43's example. I thought they were talking about the wages of bosses not an the wage of an individual boss
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,259
    Cyclefree said:

surbiton said:

Sandpit said:

King Cole, how so? If they want to stay and we're happy for them to stay, what's the problem?

The ‘they’ is the staff, not the organisation as a whole. Would we be happy if one of our major regulatory boduies ‘lived’ in a different country?
    At least one does. ESMA overseas financial regulation and is accountable to the EU Parliament. So it has power over the UK but is not located in the UK and is unaccountable to any UK body.
    One hopeful positive from Brexit is that the EU go on to introduce their much-talked-about Financial Transaction Tax.

Bankers around the world (except for Paris and Frankfurt) are licking their lips at the idea.
    Don't worry we won't be far behind, I am sure it's on Jezza's list too!
    I hope so. Could pay for lots of Doctors and Nurses. And Police Officers.
    Indeed, but oh my!... some investment bankers might have to struggle by on slightly reduced six-figure bonuses! The poor dears!
    You do realise that it's not a tax on bankers or their bonuses but on those for whom the transactions are carried out ie everyone who has a pension or savings or a shares ISA, don't you?
    Of course I do!

But who are the people who benefit most from the constant churning of stocks for short-term gain? It's not the pension funds, whose holdings tend to be more long-term, to match their liabilities.
    Nigelb said:

Y0kel said:

Nigelb said:

Y0kel said:

Trumpton

He is a surrogate.

I'm sure you're right - it's even just conceivable (though unlikelly, IMO) that he's compromised to the extent that he's a Russian asset, but that still doesn't make him a surrogate.
    Patsy, seems most likely.
    He is over his head with the Russians, I said so before the election, but I have few doubts, there was plenty of clear understanding there.

One possible vulnerability for Trump in his White House team is his love of generals. The military men represent something he admires and wishes he could be, but isn't and in a way he is slightly in awe of them. He gives then a long leash which could well be to his detriment.

The National Security Council for example is being purged of politicos, Trumps men, by McMaster and at some point he is liable to conflict with Trump. There have been rumours around McMaster's position for weeks now (Trump reportedly doesn't like him any more) but it might well come to a head soon enough.
    viewcode said:

isam said:

Charles said:

SeanT said:

Any good bets coming up? Gernan federal's on Sep 24. (Incidentally, we missed the Indian presidential totally)
    Football season? I don't really have any bets though. Maybe Aguero Man City top scorer at 11/10 & D Gayle Top Prem at 150/1 ew esp if Newcastle don't buy another striker
  • franklynfranklyn Posts: 297
    Football bets: well I have backed Lincoln to win Div2 (at 11-1 a while ago) and Sheffield U to win the championship (at 25-1); I backed them last year to win Div 1. Chris Wilder is a genius (four promotions with four different clubs). I have also backed Arsenal for relegation at 1000-1; all that takes is a poor start to the season and a cash out for it to be a good bet). I also backed Rees Mogg at 25-1 (but not to win at football)
    edited August 2017
    isam said:

isam said:

FF43 said:

Isn't it bosses' ?
    I meant the star headline not FF43's example. I thought they were talking about the wages of bosses not an the wage of an individual boss
    Yes, but they've got an 'a' in there so 'boss' can only be singular. If they're referring to multiple bosses then perhaps:

160 years to earn FTSE 100 bosses' salary

i.e. 160 years to earn the salary of FTSE 100 bosses

That might work. I think it will remain an ugly sentence though no matter how you hack it about.
    Sandpit said:

MP_SE2 said:

Mortimer said:

Dura_Ace said:

geoffw said:

Required reading.

My name is Brendan O’Neill and I am a Brexit extremist.. . .

Consider the mouths-agape response to new YouGov research published yesterday, showing that many Leave voters are willing to pay a high price for Brexit. Judging from the lingo being used – YouGov calls these people ‘extremists’ and much of the press has murmured in agreement – you’d be forgiven for thinking Leavers were plotting suicide attacks or a violent purge of parliament to get shot of Remainers and Soft Brexiteers. In truth, all they’ve said is that they’d be cool with going through some economic difficulty if it means their democratic cry for Britain to split from Brussels is realised.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/08/im-a-brexit-extremist-and-proud-of-it/

The problem is that you Brexit extremists would be happy if others suffer economic hardship and / or lose their jobs as a price of Brexit . Most of you are retired and have no jobs to lose anyway . Will be a different story when they themselves suffer economic hardship .
    Poorer But Prouder is the war cry of the Leavebugs.
    Money more important than democracy is it?

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams
    Great quote.
    Also, to tie into the earlier conversation about encryption:
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin.
    In the unlikely event of you wanting a serious conversation about this, let me put this in context. Right now I (and presumably you) have the right to live and work in 27 other countries, cast a vote in the European Parliament and the UK Parliament, and hold other rights as guaranteed by various human rights legislation. Post-Brexit that will collapse down to just one country and just one Parliament, and I assume my protection under rights legislation will diminish in due course. That's not an increase in my liberty, it's a diminution of it.

Many arguments were proffered in favour of Leave: many I understood (downward pressure on wages, less housing, the lack of a European demos) and some I agreed with (sovereignity). But the argument that it would lead to an increase in my personal liberty is simply false.

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

Charles said:

SeanT said:

Football season? I don't really have any bets though. Maybe Aguero Man City top scorer at 11/10 & D Gayle Top Prem at 150/1 ew esp if Newcastle don't buy another striker
    Arse. I know the square-root of fuck-all about football. (Well I know the eleven men and round ball and what shape the goal is, but after that it's a bit of a blur). What's "D Gayle Top Prem" mean? Is there a player called "D Gayle" and do you think he'll be Top Premiership scorer?

isam said:

isam said:

FF43 said:

Isn't it bosses' ?
    Yes, but they've got an 'a' in there so 'boss' can only be singular. If they're referring to multiple bosses then perhaps:

That might work. I think it will remain an ugly sentence though no matter how you hack it about.
    Hmm got me confused anyway!
    viewcode said:

isam said:

viewcode said:

isam said:

Charles said:

SeanT said:

Arse. I know the square-root of fuck-all about football. (Well I know the eleven men and round ball and what shape the goal is, but after that it's a bit of a blur). What's "D Gayle Top Prem" mean? Is there a player called "D Gayle" and do you think he'll be Top Premiership scorer?
    Ah I've Googled him: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwight_Gayle
    150/1? May be worth a tenner for shits and giggles. I'll bear it in mind.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

FF43 said:

Isn't it bosses' ?

Hmm got me confused anyway!
    "160 years to earn salary of a FTSE 100 boss" is just as good a headline and avoids awkward SS'SS's.
  • SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,392
    Splendid that PBers are discussing the ss's rather than the injustice of the fatcat salary. Goodnight all!
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    franklyn said:

Football bets: well I have backed Lincoln to win Div2 (at 11-1 a while ago) and Sheffield U to win the championship (at 25-1); I backed them last year to win Div 1. Chris Wilder is a genius (four promotions with four different clubs). I have also backed Arsenal for relegation at 1000-1; all that takes is a poor start to the season and a cash out for it to be a good bet). I also backed Rees Mogg at 25-1 (but not to win at football)

LCFC for relagation at 12/1 is value, as is 40/1 on rock bottom.

I also fancy Burnley at +44 in the handicap, and Hudersfield at +46. both are good teams.

Leicester look very poor, and were briefly in the relegation zone last season, but pulled out after Ranieri was sacked. Last years signings were poor, and I think this year looks disappointing too, with more talent going out than coming in.

The preseason performances were pisspoor all round, with very little creative play and too often an isolated striker getting no service. The players look unhappy, and our backline is ageing (Harry Maguire is the exception amongst new signings). Shakespeare seems a poor tactician and unable to break down other teams. Our owners are not quick to sack, and the opening fixtures horrible. 4/9 for Asenal to win on the 11th is free money.
    Random sports bet in boxing is Willie Monroe Junior to beat Billy Joe Saunders on 16th September. Best priced 12/5, I'd give him an evens chance.

Splendid that PBers are discussing the ss's rather than the injustice of the fatcat salary. Goodnight all!

As Arthur Scargill said, 'My father still reads the dictionary every day. He says your life depends on your power to master words.'

You got to have the grammar. Only then can the revolution follow!
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

King Cole, how so? If they want to stay and we're happy for them to stay, what's the problem?

The ‘they’ is the staff, not the organisation as a whole. Would we be happy if one of our major regulatory boduies ‘lived’ in a different country?
    At least one does. ESMA overseas financial regulation and is accountable to the EU Parliament. So it has power over the UK but is not located in the UK and is unaccountable to any UK body.
    One hopeful positive from Brexit is that the EU go on to introduce their much-talked-about Financial Transaction Tax.

Bankers around the world (except for Paris and Frankfurt) are licking their lips at the idea.
    It will be dominos... once one major centre introduces it, everyone else will follow.
    More likely that everyone else laughs at the one centre that does introduce it, as all their business goes elsewhere.

Do you think the fiercely independent USA, or small city states like SIN and DXB are going to go along with it?
    Is London's trading pre-eminence down to it being the cheapest? I hardly think so.

Taxes have to rise - since the tories attempts to reduce the deficit by cutting spending have been a lamentable failure - and the rise has to come from somewhere. A suitably modest level FTT can contribute to that.
    The regulatory regime and property rights also have an impact, but a lot of City business is very price sensitive.

But what spending cuts? UK Government spending has risen almost every quarter for the last decade.

https://east.aws.tradingeconomics.com/united-kingdom/government-spending

Ironically, the biggest threat to the City's revenues would be a Corbyn government - HSBC would probably announce their relocation within a week of him becoming PM.
    According to your source spending has been cut from 48% of GDP in 2010 to 42.1% in 2016. I believe UKPublicSpending is a more reliable source, which shows spending at 44.0% GDP in 2010 reducing to 40.4% in 2016.

Regarding HSBC's mooted departure: I have two thoughts... First, didn't we hear pretty much the same from a number of global companies before the Brexit vote? Secondly, are we then going to allow a big bank to dictate that we cannot have a progressive government in this country if the people so choose?
    Jonathan said:

Sean_F said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Don't worry we won't be far behind, I am sure it's on Jezza's list too!
    Just because they want to kill the goose that lays the golden egg, doesn't mean we should kill our goose too.

There will be no FTT in (from East to West) London, Johannesburg, Geneva, Moscow, Dubai, Mumbai, Singapore, HK, Beijing, Tokyo, Sydney, NY etc etc - unless somehow the whole world can agree to it without exception.

Jezza is financially illiterate, his support for turning Britain into the new Venezuela will cnontinue to boost election turnout against him for as long as he remains in office.
    It will be dominos... once one major centre introduces it, everyone else will follow.
    More likely that everyone else laughs at the one centre that does introduce it, as all their business goes elsewhere.

Do you think the fiercely independent USA, or small city states like SIN and DXB are going to go along with it?
    Is London's trading pre-eminence down to it being the cheapest? I hardly think so.

Taxes have to rise - since the tories attempts to reduce the deficit by cutting spending have been a lamentable failure - and the rise has to come from somewhere. A suitably modest level FTT can contribute to that.
    The Tories have both raised taxes and curbed spending, and the deficit has fallen from 11% of GDP to 2.8%. That is a considerable success.

The FTT is like Stamp Duty, in that it's a tax on transactions. It doesn't hurt bankers any more than Stamp Duty hurts estate agents.
    Throttles short term speculation.
    +1 And much more succinct than I managed!
    Nigelb said:

SeanT said:

Good of you yawn inducers to crawl out of the woodwork to tell us how boring we are.

Still, at least the the incidence of treason accusations has dropped recently.

Indeed. Maybe SeanT could take a look from time to time to see if we are managing any improvement, and maybe give us a few hints and tips?
    edited August 2017
    isam said:

SeanT said:

The people who were used to winning lost twice in quick succession and cant deal with it. So they conduct open group therapy on here. 2 mins hate, stream of consciousness outpourings, repetition, denial, intellectual snobbery, name calling, the whole shebang
    Some lucky sods have only lost twice in quick succesion? I'm on a run of four pal (five if you go back to 2010) - 2010 GE, 2015 GE, Brexit, POTUS, 2017 GE... But the tide is on the turn now :smile:
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    edited August 2017
    viewcode said:

Sandpit said:

MP_SE2 said:

Mortimer said:

Dura_Ace said:

geoffw said:

Poorer But Prouder is the war cry of the Leavebugs.
    Money more important than democracy is it?

"If ye love wealth greater than liberty, the tranquility of servitude greater than the animating contest for freedom, go home from us in peace. We seek not your counsel, nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you; May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen."
    Samuel Adams
    Great quote.
    Also, to tie into the earlier conversation about encryption:
    "Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin.
    In the unlikely event of you wanting a serious conversation about this, let me put this in context. Right now I (and presumably you) have the right to live and work in 27 other countries, cast a vote in the European Parliament and the UK Parliament, and hold other rights as guaranteed by various human rights legislation. Post-Brexit that will collapse down to just one country and just one Parliament, and I assume my protection under rights legislation will diminish in due course. That's not an increase in my liberty, it's a diminution of it.

Many arguments were proffered in favour of Leave: many I understood (downward pressure on wages, less housing, the lack of a European demos) and some I agreed with (sovereignity). But the argument that it would lead to an increase in my personal liberty is simply false.

The earlier conversation was about the government's suggestion that data encryption is bad, because terrorists. Amber Rudd wrote a really stupid and ill-informed article in the Telegraph yesterday about her ambition to have technology firms allow MI6 and GCHQ access to everyone's messages because there's some bad people around. In that context the quote from Franklin is quite appropriate, as it is for things like post-9/11 airport security. We shouldn't want to live in a police state and should oppose these illiberal measures when governments suggest them. I also said it's a great subject for the Lib Dems to attract support from libertarian Conservatives (like me) if only they can stop for a minute banging on about how wonderful the EU is.

It's not related to 'rights' as EU 'citizens', although I currently live in a non-EU country. The biggest 'right' I don't currently have is the right to move to my country of birth and citizenship with my wife. Ironically if I was a non-UK EU citizen I would have that 'right'.
    edited August 2017

Sandpit said:

Allan said:

Sandpit said:

dyingswan said:

Brilliant! :+1:
    Yes, post of the day. dyingswan
    A good write up along the same lines:
    http://www.conservativewoman.co.uk/kathy-gyngell-todays-cosseted-britain-struggle-repeat-dunkirk/
    On the first day, 7,669 men were evacuated, but by the end of the eighth day, the extraordinary number of 338,226 soldiers had been successfully brought back across the English Channel while under attack on all sides in a hastily assembled fleet of over 800 boats.

Imagine us achieving that level of organisation and cooperation now in our individualistic, comfort zone and entitled world.

In the week between, thousands of men, terrifyingly exposed to Luftwaffe strafing of them on the beaches, or waiting for hours shoulder deep in cold sea, laden with gear, or rescued only later to drown trapped in the hold of their torpedoed ship, were not so lucky.

Of the 933 ships took part in Operation Dynamo, 236 were lost and 61 put out of action. Six British and three French destroyers were sunk, along with nine other major vessels. In addition, 19 destroyers were damaged.

Yet there was no national collapse. No candlelit vigils. The country got on with regrouping
    I would agree with most of this with the exception of the 'individualistic' attack. Britain in the 1930s and 40s was far less socialised and far less state controlled than Britain today. The problem is not too much individualism but too little with vast swathes of the population believing they are owed a particular standard of living and a particular safety net by the Government rather than being willing to look after themselves. It is the loss of individualism and the increasing statism of the country that has bred generations incapable of independent thought and action and it is for that reason that we would struggle to repeat the herism of Dunkirk or indeed of much of the rest of the war. The idea of self sacrifice has, with noble and notable exceptions, largely been lost amongst a very large proportion of our population.
    That may be true of the 30s but in the 40s Britain was effectively (and necessarily) pretty much a massive state machine with virtually zero room for, or tolerance of, individuality. Conscription, rationing, land requisitions, war ags, and a miriad of other wartime Defence Regulations saw to that.

I wonder whether today's more individualistic society (imo) would accept similar restrictions?
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited August 2017

Sandpit said:

Allan said:

Sandpit said:

dyingswan said:

Brilliant! :+1:
    Yes, post of the day. dyingswan
    A good write up along the same lines

Yet there was no national collapse. No candlelit vigils. The country got on with regrouping.
    I would agree with most of this with the exception of the 'individualistic' attack. Britain in the 1930s and 40s was far less socialised and far less state controlled than Britain today. The problem is not too much individualism but too little with vast swathes of the population believing they are owed a particular standard of living and a particular safety net by the Government rather than being willing to look after themselves. It is the loss of individualism and the increasing statism of the country that has bred generations incapable of independent thought and action and it is for that reason that we would struggle to repeat the herism of Dunkirk or indeed of much of the rest of the war. The idea of self sacrifice has, with noble and notable exceptions, largely been lost amongst a very large proportion of our population.
    That may be true of the 30s but in the 40s Britain was effectively (and necessarily) pretty much a massive state machine with virtually zero room for, or tolerance of, individuality. Conscription, rationing, land requisitions, war ags, and a miriad of other wartime Defence Regulations saw to that.

I wonder whether today's more individualistic society (imo) would accept similar restrictions?
    The reason Britain did so well in WW2 was that we learned the lessons of WW1 in terms of total war.

Planning for mass bombing casualties led to the effective nationalisation of London hospitals in 1938*, which rapidly spread nationwide. Similarly conscription was designed not to impact on industrial production, as had happened with the volunteers in 1915 leading to industrial under production. Conscripts were sent to the coal mines, industry was dispersed and even women were conscripted. Rationing began from the outset, and evacuees were billeted on rural families (no CRB's then!).

The British went onto a total war economy from the start, but Germany didn't until 1942. Far from our victory being due to individual pluck, it was due to total mobilisation of the national resouces under a central command economy. Voters in 1945 voted for this to continue as a welfare state, having seen it in action for the previous 5 years. It should surprise no one that the Welfare state was born at that moment.

*https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emergency_Hospital_Service
    Sandpit said:

The earlier conversation was about the government's suggestion that data encryption is bad, because terrorists. Amber Rudd wrote a really stupid and ill-informed article in the Telegraph yesterday about her ambition to have technology firms allow MI6 and GCHQ access to everyone's messages because there's some bad people around. In that context the quote from Franklin is quite appropriate, as it is for things like post-9/11 airport security. We shouldn't want to live in a police state and should oppose these illiberal measures when governments suggest them. I also said it's a great subject for the Lib Dems to attract support from libertarian Conservatives (like me) if only they can stop for a minute banging on about how wonderful the EU is.

It's not related to 'rights' as EU 'citizens', although I currently live in a non-EU country. The biggest 'right' I don't currently have is the right to move to my country of birth and citizenship with my wife. Ironically if I was a non-UK EU citizen I would have that 'right'.

Ah, I see.

• TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    franklyn said:

May I ask who you fancy for Div 1 this season ?
This discussion has been closed.