Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The UKIP leadership race – Alastair Meeks marks your card

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    Penddu said:

Seriously.....this is all true? Politics was never this interesting when I was young....even in Jezza Thorpes days with the shot dog....

"I turn now to the evidence given by Mr. Norman St. John Scott. He is a parasite, a pervert, a self-confessed player of the pink oboe, a worm.... A man (or woman) who by his (or her) own admission, chews pillows. But, he may still be telling the truth. That is entirely a matter for you to decide, members of the jury."
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    UKIP is irrelevant to British politics
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Gay donkeys? Handguns? Bunker in Bulgaria? Throwing strippers out of planes? Rees-Evans is clearly the hero UKIP deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

I would say that even though he is odds-on, Whittle is still the value bet, but of course you'd all remember it and in a n=1 situation the result could never justify my tip, only hammer it. So I'll just say that I am off to put a few quid on him.
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,808
    I think thread header is the wrong format for this subject. What you really need is a set of UKIP leadership / DUP MP top trumps.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

GeoffM said:

It's a bit dusty in here tonight.

Where is everybody?

Looking for gay donkeys.

And now you've turned up.
    I've never actually known the basis of that "story" before tonight.

I decided it was best to wait until I left the office and got home before trying "Gay Donkey Sex Rape Story" in The Google.
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

I think thread header is the wrong format for this subject. What you really need is a set of UKIP leadership / DUP MP top trumps.

Sammy Wilson is the only MP who'd provide juicy quotes. The rest of them are pretty rational.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

GeoffM said:

It's a bit dusty in here tonight.

Where is everybody?

Looking for gay donkeys.

And now you've turned up.
    I've never actually known the basis of that "story" before tonight.

I decided it was best to wait until I left the office and got home before trying "Gay Donkey Sex Rape Story" in The Google.
    Rape by donkey, prior to execution, was used as a punishment for female poisoners in the Roman Empire.
  • Options

The context is that it sounds as though NK has weaponised a nuclear warhead, the ultimate aim of their program.
    Surely America would be best off acting BEFORE they did that? If you are going to act why wait until after they have a weaponised nuke?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,925

The context is that it sounds as though NK has weaponised a nuclear warhead, the ultimate aim of their program.
    If the USA is going to go in balls deep on a war footing, it needed to have done it about 6 months ago. I think I pointed this out in one of my many posts previously, before N Korea was nuclear capable...
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Pro_Rata said:

Sammy Wilson is the only MP who'd provide juicy quotes. The rest of them are pretty rational.
    Well we need to have a few rubbish cards. Anyway, looks like THE top Trump is going to spoil our fun.
  • Options
    Looks like the nuclear bomb shelter project at Chez Urquhart wasn't wasted after all....
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,990

Surely America would be best off acting BEFORE they did that? If you are going to act why wait until after they have a weaponised nuke?
    Because doing something beforehand is difficult politically, especially after the Iraq mess. Obama in particular prevaricated massively.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If the USA is going to go in balls deep on a war footing, it needed to have done it about 6 months ago. I think I pointed this out in one of my many posts previously, before N Korea was nuclear capable...
    They've probably been nuclear capable for a few years (depending on which tests you see as not having been a fizzle). Now they just have a better delivery mechanism.

But yes, it may well be a bit late now.

Personally I wonder why they go to the bother of a missile delivery system (aside from the phallic big-boy missiles). It'd be easier to smuggle a weapon into the US and place it somewhere very near any required ground zero.

But that wouldn't give them the effect they want in the international community.
  • Options
    Serious thought. Is today's Szechwan earthquake considerably more serious than the numbers reported so far? China is big enough, the prospect of North Korea is big enough that surely they won't get distracted, but......
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

They've probably been nuclear capable for a few years (depending on which tests you see as not having been a fizzle). Now they just have a better delivery mechanism.

But yes, it may well be a bit late now.

Personally I wonder why they go to the bother of a missile delivery system (aside from the phallic big-boy missiles). It'd be easier to smuggle a weapon into the US and place it somewhere very near any required ground zero.

But that wouldn't give them the effect they want in the international community.
    I think you've nailed it in the last sentence.

A delivery system (as sophisticated as possible) gets you a seat at the big table. Or at least in the same room. All you have to do is successfully test it to make the point.

A bomb in a suitcase only gets you noticed after you've pressed the red button on the side.

In reality you'd develop both at the same time.
  • Options

Because doing something beforehand is difficult politically, especially after the Iraq mess. Obama in particular prevaricated massively.
    Ironically if you listen to the speeches from the US election for all of the "Trump will kill us all" nonsense he was more of an isolationist and Hillary was the aggressive interventionist.
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    edited August 2017

For those interested in John Rees-Evans' fortified compound, more details are available here:

https://news.vice.com/article/what-an-ex-soldiers-fortified-bulgarian-compound-says-about-the-uk-independence-movement

I reluctantly decided not to include in the main article the detail about him urinating in a bottle to reduce his carbon footprint.

Mr Meeks this is funny. I feel one must be a serious bettor to get involved with this lot. Do they have a grammarian?

Incidentally, I think I read somewhere that ancient Romans used human urine for cleaning and for curing leather. That would help lower our footprint surely.
  • Options
    Toms said:

For those interested in John Rees-Evans' fortified compound, more details are available here:

https://news.vice.com/article/what-an-ex-soldiers-fortified-bulgarian-compound-says-about-the-uk-independence-movement

I reluctantly decided not to include in the main article the detail about him urinating in a bottle to reduce his carbon footprint.

Mr Meeks this is funny. I feel one must be a serious bettor to get involved with this lot. Does their lot include a grammarian?

Incidentally, I think I read somewhere that ancient Romans used human urine for cleaning and for curing leather. That would help lower our footprint surely.
    I think urine was collected from the big cities in medieval times and used as a mordant to set dyes in cloth. Plenty of people on here take the p*ss, but I don't think any of us collect it ...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I think it's more likely than not that there will be war with North Korea.

Kim Jong Un is like the boldest of the children who broke into Shanghai Zoo, and fired catapults at the crocodiles. He then climbed into their enclosure and started hitting them with sticks. They went into a feeding frenzy.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited August 2017
    Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

Kim Jong Un is like the boldest of the children who broke into Shanghai Zoo, and fired catapults at the crocodiles. He then climbed into their enclosure and started hitting them with sticks. They went into a feeding frenzy.
    There is an interesting Sam Harris podcast from a few weeks ago talking about this. Basically if the US strike North Korea, even without the nukes they have the capacity to kill 100,000s of South Koreans in seconds with conventional weapons.

The talk on the podcast was that no single senior person at the Pentagon backed any sort of strike because of the likely huge number of casualties. Furthermore, the aftermath of any sort of regime change is thought to make Afghanistan or Iraq look like childs play.

There are millions of North Koreans who have been indoctrinated into believing they are the chosen people, and the likes of the American's are but barbarians, and of course that Kim Jong Fatty Fatty Bum is literally god.

Edit: Link to podcast

https://www.samharris.org/podcast/item/must-we-accept-a-nuclear-north-korea
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Just another normal day in modern Belgium....

Brussels police opened fire on a car packed with explosives after a high-speed chase through the suburb of Molenbeek...The vehicle was reportedly registered in Germany.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4772258/Police-Brussels-open-fire-car.html
  • Options
    TomsToms Posts: 2,478
    I wonder who the technical brains are behind the N. Korean rocket and atomic programs and where they were educated.
  • Options
    Toms said:

I wonder who the technical brains are behind the N. Korean rocket and atomic programs and where they were educated.

I think the Russians helped NK a couple of decades ago.

If you want to know about China's program, look up Qian Xuesan. I recon the Americans wish they hadn't mistreated him quite so badly ...
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,745
    Regarding the gay donkey trying to rape the horse...um, how big was the horse? Donkeys are small and horses are big, yes? How did the donkey manage to mount the larger horse? Was there some kind of step? How did this eventuate?

Pause

Should I be interrogating this this closely? Note to self: find better thing to do... :)

• Options

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

There is an interesting Sam Harris podcast from a few weeks ago talking about this. Basically if the US strike North Korea, even without the nukes they have the capacity to kill 100,000s of South Koreans in seconds with conventional weapons.

The talk on the podcast was that no single senior person at the Pentagon backed any sort of strike because of the likely huge number of casualties. Furthermore, the aftermath of any sort of regime change is thought to make Afghanistan or Iraq look like childs play.

There are millions of North Koreans who have been indoctrinated into believing they are the chosen people, and the likes of the American's are but barbarians, and of course that Kim Jong Fatty Fatty Bum is literally god.

That's one of the reasons I believe it's in China's hands. There is little we (the west) can do for good, and much for harm.

I've often said that a decision to do nothing is as much a decision as a decision to do something. I fear we're about to find out that the consequences of the decision to do nothing about NK.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

The candidates on offer are certainly a glittering array of talent.

One of my earliest memories of PB was a post of yours detailing the sexual deviancy of the British far right.

For some reason Alastair's thread reminded me of that.
    Yes, that was fun.

I especially enjoyed how Colin Jordan had to resign as leader of the British Movement after shoplifting a pair of red knickers from M & S.
    I wonder what he intended use he planned for his "acquisition"?

I cannot see a pair of plan cotton knickers in red, so I would think it likely that these were the lacy, stringy kind that are OK to wear for about 2 hours and after that you want to rip them off before you sweaty-itch to death.
    Not a problem if you wear them over your face. You can go way more than 2 hours that way. I imagine.
  • Options
    Charles said:

welshowl said:

Charles said:

welshowl said:

rkrkrk said:

Great article.

Have to admit I'm surprised how many are gay.

I'm speechless with wonder at this offering of candidates. Truly gobsmacked. Just for starters, why on God's earth would you apparently come into possession of a fortified compound in Bulgaria? Why? How? When? Details??
    I have a house with battlements that my Dad bought on a whim. Does that count?
    Only if he has a licence to crenellate. Can't be having non standard crenellations.
    The house had them when he bought it... he didn't crenellate on a whim! He's not some kind of oddball...
    Do the crenellations have machicolations.? If they don't, they're cosmetic: the medaeval equivalent of a spoiler on a Morris Marina.

Believe it or not, this is a true thing...

h ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBVPcr7VjyQ
    h ttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Machicolation
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,893
    Dropping in to say well done @AlastairMeeks for one of the funniest PB threads of all time, must have taken a fair while to research in the name of humouring us all in the middle of Silly Season :+1:

Also dropping in to say Holy F***, North Korea! :open_mouth:
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    viewcode said:

Regarding the gay donkey trying to rape the horse...um, how big was the horse? Donkeys are small and horses are big, yes? How did the donkey manage to mount the larger horse? Was there some kind of step? How did this eventuate?

Pause

Should I be interrogating this this closely? Note to self: find better thing to do... :)

Horses and donkeys can interbreed to create mules and burros, so presumably are anatomically compatible!

Presumably it was a rather rampant donkey stallion who wasnt well read in dating etiquette...
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Pause

That had occurred to me too, although horses do - for rather obvious reasons - start smaller than they end up becoming later in life.

I am struggling to believe that I actually typed that last sentence. But it is what it is.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    To be clear, it's the stag party guests, not the strippers, who are going to be chucked out of aeroplanes. Jolly character-building, I'd assume.
  • Options

Toms said:

Mr Meeks this is funny. I feel one must be a serious bettor to get involved with this lot. Does their lot include a grammarian?

I think urine was collected from the big cities in medieval times and used as a mordant to set dyes in cloth. Plenty of people on here take the p*ss, but I don't think any of us collect it ...
    The trade was as a fuller, to clean wool for weaving using stale urine for its ammonia. Fulling mills were famously stinky even in smellier times.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fulling
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    viewcode said:

Charles said:

welshowl said:

Charles said:

welshowl said:

rkrkrk said:

Great article.

I'm speechless with wonder at this offering of candidates. Truly gobsmacked. Just for starters, why on God's earth would you apparently come into possession of a fortified compound in Bulgaria? Why? How? When? Details??
    Only if he has a licence to crenellate. Can't be having non standard crenellations.
    The house had them when he bought it... he didn't crenellate on a whim! He's not some kind of oddball...
    Do the crenellations have machicolations.? If they don't, they're cosmetic: the medaeval equivalent of a spoiler on a Morris Marina.

The house was built in the 1890s by a wealthy American who had just been made a Viscount and therefore needed a castle. I suspect they are entirely superfluous
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057

To be clear, it's the stag party guests, not the strippers, who are going to be chucked out of aeroplanes. Jolly character-building, I'd assume.

And the strippers will be the ones wielding the Glocks?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

Maybe a gay stag do? A bunch of James Bond stripograms? :D
  • Options
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

welshowl said:

Charles said:

welshowl said:

rkrkrk said:

Great article.

The house was built in the 1890s by a wealthy American who had just been made a Viscount and therefore needed a castle. I suspect they are entirely superfluous
    I recall my school boarding house having impressive battlements.

Traditionally they are intended to keep the hordes of barbarians out - but in our case quite the reverse apparently.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    RobD said:

Maybe a gay stag do? A bunch of James Bond stripograms? :D
    Re-evaluating my UKIP next leader betting strategy based entirely on this handful of comments.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

viewcode said:

Pause

That had occurred to me too, although horses do - for rather obvious reasons - start smaller than they end up becoming later in life.

I am struggling to believe that I actually typed that last sentence. But it is what it is.
    Ah, so this was a gay Bulgarian donkey with a fetish for younger horses. In UKIP. On any other board that might seem strange...
  • Options

Absolutely - my original quote was to do with Vice's poor sub-editing!
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

While undoubtedly dangerous, NK's heavy artillery is not quite as destructive as depicted. Counter battery fire would be ferocious and accurate. It is discussed well here:

http://nationalinterest.org/blog/the-buzz/could-north-korea-annihilate-seoul-its-artillery-20345?page=2

NKs army looks good on paper but is substantially out of date, and like Iraq's will not last long in a conventional war.

The only way to beat developed countries at war is with assymetric war.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

While undoubtedly dangerous, NK's heavy artillery is not quite as destructive as depicted. Counter battery fire would be ferocious and accurate.

NKs army looks good on paper but is substantially out of date, and like Iraq's will not last long in a conventional war.

No offense, but I believe the expert on the Sam Harris podcast, backed up by interviews with senior people from the Pentagon, above your take.

They aren't doubting that South Korean / US / Japanese military approach would win, but it is the massive causalities they would take before they could.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

Unclear, but I'd imagine that that wouldn't be included in the basic package price, you might have to negotiate it when you get there.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

GeoffM said:

viewcode said:

Pause

Ah, so this was a gay Bulgarian donkey with a fetish for younger horses. In UKIP. On any other board that might seem strange...
    Great choice of video there :)
  • Options
    Charles said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

welshowl said:

Charles said:

welshowl said:

rkrkrk said:

Great article.

It looks a beautiful building and I hope to get a tour one day!
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,605
    The only thing more weird than the UKIP candidate list is the people who will attend the hustings.

Why don't thy just call it a day?
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    GeoffM said:

viewcode said:

GeoffM said:

viewcode said:

Pause

Great choice of video there :)
    Jerry Bruckheimer: Beverly Hills Cop, Flashdance, Top Gun, Crimson Tide, The Rock, Con Air, Armageddon, Bad Boys, Enemy of the State, Black Hawk Down...

(OK, you have to overlook Pearl Harbor. But it's still not a bad CV)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274
    FPTnP with eleven candidates for a leadership election is absurd. How fitting.
  • Options
    So, let me get this straight. To be UKIP leader, you have to throw strippers out of an interstellar asteroid mining ship, whilst riding a gay donkey, and firing a glock at a nuclear bunker in Bulgaria.?Or something.
    Possibly the finest thread ever published on PB.com
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

There is an interesting Sam Harris podcast from a few weeks ago talking about this. Basically if the US strike North Korea, even without the nukes they have the capacity to kill 100,000s of South Koreans in seconds with conventional weapons

While undoubtedly dangerous, NK's heavy artillery is not quite as destructive as depicted. Counter battery fire would be ferocious and accurate.

No offense, but I believe the expert on the Sam Harris podcast, backed up by interviews with senior people from the Pentagon, above your take.

They aren't doubting that South Korean / US / Japanese military approach would win, but it is the massive causalities they would take before they could.
    There is more specfic discussion here, and in great detail:

http://nautilus.org/napsnet/napsnet-special-reports/mind-the-gap-between-rhetoric-and-reality/

Maps, artillery range fans and all. Only the Northern suburbs of Seoul are in range and there are shelters for 20 million people.

By this estimate around 30 000 dead in a bombardment of Seoul suburbs, and fading quite rapidly due to countermeasures and logistics.

• Options

So, let me get this straight. To be UKIP leader, you have to throw strippers out of an interstellar asteroid mining ship, whilst riding a gay donkey, and firing a glock at a nuclear bunker in Bulgaria.?Or something.
    Possibly the finest thread ever published on PB.com

It's not an interstellar asteroid mining ship. It's an interstellar colony ship. The asteroid mining ship is strictly in-system. It's important not to get the two confused. Otherwise things might get silly... :)
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

FPTnP with eleven candidates for a leadership election is absurd. How fitting.

I know you're talking about leadership elections, but to channel my inner Sunil ... random FPTP trivia: there were 13 candidates in Maidenhead at the last election and the record number of candidates at a General Election was 15 in Sedgefield in 2005.

Those two produced decisive FPTP winners. Nothing absurd about those.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Charles said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

welshowl said:

Charles said:

welshowl said:

rkrkrk said:

Great article.

Delighted to if we are both in London at the same time
  • Options
    Charles said:

GeoffM said:

Charles said:

viewcode said:

Charles said:

welshowl said:

Charles said:

welshowl said:

rkrkrk said:

Great article.

Delighted to if we are both in London at the same time
    My sincere thanks and I look forward to that immensely.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

There is an interesting Sam Harris podcast from a few weeks ago talking about this. Basically if the US strike North Korea, even without the nukes they have the capacity to kill 100,000s of South Koreans in seconds with conventional weapons

http://nautilus.org/napsnet/napsnet-special-reports/mind-the-gap-between-rhetoric-and-reality/

Maps, artillery range fans and all. Only the Northern suburbs of Seoul are in range and there are shelters for 20 million people.

By this estimate around 30 000 dead in a bombardment of Seoul suburbs, and fading quite rapidly due to countermeasures and logistics.

That article is 5 years old. Kim Jong Fatty Fatty Bum Bum wasn't even in power then.

The one I linked to is from this month, based upon current discussions with those in the Pentagon.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Pulpstar said:

That article is 5 years old. Kim Jong Fatty Fatty Bum Bum wasn't even in power then.

The one I linked to is from this month, based upon current discussions with those in the Pentagon.
    It is substantially the same though. NK could only bombard Seoul with limited assets, and by doing so would have to concentrate them in a small area.

A war in Korea would be nasty for a couple of weeks, but rapidly turn into a smart weapon turkey shoot.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Top-draw thread Mr Meeks.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

It is substantially the same though. NK could only bombard Seoul with limited assets, and by doing so would have to concentrate them in a small area.

A war in Korea would be nasty for a couple of weeks, but rapidly turn into a smart weapon turkey shoot.

Nobody is disagreeing who would win, what seems to be at odds is the size of the initial casualties. Your link says 30,000, mine says more like 300,000. Even the lower end of the estimates is seem as too large a price to pay to try and depose him...and as I said in the initial post the other massive problem is millions of north koreans are totally indoctrinated and simply removing the madman won't solve that.
  • Options
    Chris_AChris_A Posts: 1,237
    "Not a gifted speller". She seems to be just the ticket for your average Kipper. My money's on Marion.
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

"Not a gifted speller". She seems to be just the ticket for your average Kipper. My money's on Marion.

Is it? How much have you bet and what odds did you get?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,574

Top-draw thread Mr Meeks.

Top drawer coverage of the bottom of the barrel ?

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    David Davis' former chief of staff at DexEU calls for MPs and journalists to stand up against Brexit.

https://twitter.com/jameschappers/status/895014262804033536
    https://twitter.com/jameschappers/status/895033642531082240
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    North Korea says considering missile strike near Guam

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-40871416

Just popping to the bomb shelter to make sure I have plenty of cans of baked beans...
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

Are they laying on hustings for our entertainment?

NT Live should show it at cinemas around the country.
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238

Before we go too far in celebrating the strange beliefs of UKIP's candidates, it seems that, as ever, Ireland leads the way:

"Bad luck caused by disturbed fairy forts is causing dips in a major road between County Kerry and County Cork, an Irish member of parliament has said."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-40863737

One of that clan wanted rural roads to be exempt from drink drive laws to encourage the pub trade.
  • Options

Just popping to the bomb shelter to make sure I have plenty of cans of baked beans...

Even assuming they mean an unarmed weapon, there has to be an international reaction now.

I've just got no idea *what* that reaction should be.
  • Options

Even assuming they mean an unarmed weapon, there has to be an international reaction now.

It's a difficult one, and the international community need to be prepared to react militarily and quickly if required.

As a minimum, any NK missile not going straight up can expect to be taken out.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

It's a difficult one, and the international community need to be prepared to react militarily and quickly if required.

That would certainly be a test of the US's ABM tech, but has its own difficulties. If NK were to launch a test missile and it was taken out by an ABM, NK can claim that it was a 'peaceful' shot and the US has taken warlike actions. It would ratchet up tensions.

Yet it is required. I'm also far from sure the US ABM tech is reliable enough.

It might also require the US to place assets so close to NK (particularly if they are boost-phase ABM) that China gets concerned. Or near enough that they'd get dangerously close to NK.

As ever with NK, China is the key (and Russia to a lesser extent). They need to act against their one-time surrogate state.
  • Options
    Chris_A said:

Not having an active Twitter account will prevent some of the foot-in-mouth issues that UKIP's leadership regularly have.

Seriously, lack of Twitter should be seen as a boon for politicians, not a disadvantage!
  • Options

Sandpit said:

That would certainly be a test of the US's ABM tech, but has its own difficulties. If NK were to launch a test missile and it was taken out by an ABM, NK can claim that it was a 'peaceful' shot and the US has taken warlike actions. It would ratchet up tensions.

It might also require the US to place assets so close to NK (particularly if they are boost-phase ABM) that China gets concerned. Or near enough that they'd get dangerously close to NK.

As ever with NK, China is the key (and Russia to a lesser extent). They need to act against their one-time surrogate state.
    Pretty much agree with that, the US defence systems are most likely out of date although they did test the 747-based airborne laser a couple of years back.

Right now though, the danger is of not acting, Kim is a total nutter who would happily nuke Washington if he had the technology to do it!

It could well be that a missile getting shot down causes the mad man to react, in which case we (the UN) have to have resources in place to minimise the casualties in Seoul. China needs to be told in no uncertain terms that if Beijing can't deal with Kim, then the rest of the world will do it instead.
  • Options

Chris_A said:

Not having an active Twitter account will prevent some of the foot-in-mouth issues that UKIP's leadership regularly have.

Seriously, lack of Twitter should be seen as a boon for politicians, not a disadvantage!
    David Cameron's adage about Twitter was absolutely spot on.

Far too many public figures open their mouth on Twitter in order to insert their foot.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Pretty much agree with that, the US defence systems are most likely out of date although they did test the 747-based airborne laser a couple of years back.

Right now though, the danger is of not acting, Kim is a total nutter who would happily nuke Washington if he had the technology to do it!

It could well be that a missile getting shot down causes the mad man to react, in which case we (the UN) have to have resources in place to minimise the casualties in Seoul. China needs to be told in no uncertain terms that if Beijing can't deal with Kim, then the rest of the world will do it instead.
    I think the 747-based Air-Borne Laser is now at the boneyard.

AIUI the system had many problems: not the least that the chemical lasers it used were not powerful enough and had massively long (compared to the expected usage) recharge times. They knew it was a dead=end technology even as they developed it.

It was really for working out the technology of getting laser power through the atmosphere, with the optics, computers and beam management all making vast strides during the project. Allegedly ...
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

AIUI the system had many problems: not the least that the chemical lasers it used were not powerful enough and had massively long (compared to the expected usage) recharge times. They knew it was a dead=end technology even as they developed it.

It was really for working out the technology of getting laser power through the atmosphere, with the optics, computers and beam management all making vast strides during the project. Allegedly ...
    It's actually made its way through the boneyard and out the other side. It was scrapped in 2014.

The next generation is planned to be a UAV version with a flying demo due in 2021ish.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,262
    The problem I see with conducting a war with NK is the need to get large quantities of up to date assets in theatre. Iraq was a turkey shoot both times because there was a months long build up of the most advanced armoured units on the planet before it kicked off. Iraq had no choice but to sit and wait. NK not so much...

Non nuclear cruise missile technology has proven to be relatively ineffective requiring huge numbers of expensive missiles to take out a single airfield, for example. I don't see how they could be relied upon to take out thousands of artillery pieces quickly and reliably.

The US options here are horribly tricky.
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

It's actually made its way through the boneyard and out the other side. It was scrapped in 2014.

The next generation is planned to be a UAV version with a flying demo due in 2021ish.
    Ah, thanks. The UAV version isn't much use now then ...
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The problem I see with conducting a war with NK is the need to get large quantities of up to date assets in theatre. Iraq was a turkey shoot both times because there was a months long build up of the most advanced armoured units on the planet before it kicked off. Iraq had no choice but to sit and wait. NK not so much...

Non nuclear cruise missile technology has proven to be relatively ineffective requiring huge numbers of expensive missiles to take out a single airfield, for example. I don't see how they could be relied upon to take out thousands of artillery pieces quickly and reliably.

Reading the conversations between FrancisU and others below, what concerns me is what we don't know about NK's capabilities. We know they're fairly strong in men, and whilst their kit isn't the latest, it can still be damaging.

Witness the sinking of a SK warship a few year back.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,328
    One can't help but wonder if Brexit is like the big domestic political distraction of Irish home rule in the summer of 1914.

Whilst the clouds gather.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Royale, could you elaborate?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

One can't help but wonder if Brexit is like the big domestic political distraction of Irish home rule in the summer of 1914.

The Donald talks a lot, but Fat Boy Kim is in the driving seat
  • Options

DavidL said:

Reading the conversations between FrancisU and others below, what concerns me is what we don't know about NK's capabilities. We know they're fairly strong in men, and whilst their kit isn't the latest, it can still be damaging.

I strongly suspect that the quality of NK's kit will be very poor but the quantity is huge. The key to this is not the US but SK. Are they really willing to accept tens of thousands of civilian casualties to bring this to an end? At the moment there are 20k US troops in SK. Not enough to do anything offensive even if SK were minded to let them.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,925
    If N Korea sticks a missile on Guam, I think it would be annihilated. It would also improve Trump/Pence chances in 2020
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138

David Davis' former chief of staff at DexEU calls for MPs and journalists to stand up against Brexit.

https://twitter.com/jameschappers/status/895014262804033536
    https://twitter.com/jameschappers/status/895033642531082240

Way past time for head bangers remainers to get therapy.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

You mean, still blighting British politics 100 years hence?
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If N Korea sticks a missile on Guam, I think it would be annihilated. It would also improve Trump/Pence chances in 2020

Yes...and even if the NorKs tie a box around the missile and sign it there will be conspiracy theories until the end of time that it's been faked by the US (just like the moon landings were).
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I strongly suspect that the quality of NK's kit will be very poor but the quantity is huge. The key to this is not the US but SK. Are they really willing to accept tens of thousands of civilian casualties to bring this to an end? At the moment there are 20k US troops in SK. Not enough to do anything offensive even if SK were minded to let them.
    I suspect SK's army could take out the North by itself. NK has no fancy IT smart kit, SK has bucket loads.
  • Options

I cant actually see Brexit causing a million british dead
  • Options
    Mr. Brooke, NK equipment is largely antiquated, but if you get shot in the face with a blunderbuss you'll still not be tapdancing that evening.

Seoul's within range of conventional artillery, and there's a lot of it just ready to rain down fire on the South Korean capital.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

I suspect SK's army could take out the North by itself. NK has no fancy IT smart kit, SK has bucket loads.
    I suspect so too and that is what is required so SK is key,
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited August 2017

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Look at a map -- Seoul (population 10 million) is within spitting distance of the border. Mere tens of thousands is wildly optimistic.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    Pulpstar said:

I could see trump going to war simply to help his ratings rally. And to get better numbers in time for the mid terms. He probably think north Korea would be a quick easy win. Mad men.
  • Options

Mr. Brooke, NK equipment is largely antiquated, but if you get shot in the face with a blunderbuss you'll still not be tapdancing that evening.

Seoul's within range of conventional artillery, and there's a lot of it just ready to rain down fire on the South Korean capital.

all of that

but if youre sat next to a ticking bomb that gets bigger each day, at what point do you think Id better do something about this ?
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Look at a map -- Seoul (population 10 million) is within spitting distance of the border. Mere tens of thousands is wildly optimistic.
    This is hardly news

its why seoul has massive civilian protection programmes

it wont stop deaths but it will reduce them

• Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

But NK are not stupid. They've been on a war footing for decades, and know that they will lose a long war without political support. If they launch a war expect it to be to their strengths, and aimed to knock SK out militarily and keep China or Russia on-side politically.

Also expect a large number of fifth-column strikes within SK.

About five or so years ago there was a brilliant open-source blog that discussed NK's capabilities in detail. Sadly it went invited-access only and I lost track of it.

China is the key.
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    Mr. Brooke, it's easy to say a country should take a difficult step that will cause it a lot of pain, in order to avert worse in the future, but it's harder to do.

[As an aside, Machiavelli wrote that one of the reasons Romans liked going to war so much was that they thought putting it off only meant deferring it to the enemies' advantage. A Roman response to North Korea would've meant a full-scale attack decades ago].

Edited extra bit: Mr. Jessop, and cyber-attacks.
  • Options
    nunuone said:

Pulpstar said:

I could see trump going to war simply to help his ratings rally. And to get better numbers in time for the mid terms. He probably think north Korea would be a quick easy win. Mad men.
    I'm no fan of Trump, but you can't blame him for this one. What we are seeing are the consequences of inaction, especially by Obama and China.

What NK said last night borders on a declaration of war. It's not quite there yet, but it's blooming close.
  • Options

I don't know why someone of your intelligence resorts to such hyperbole.

Nevertheless, you've threatened to download your brain into a smart PC sometime around 2050, so my descendants can continue to enjoy your commentary.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I don't think NK have accurate enough targeting and guidance technology.

Most likely it would splash into the sea.
  • Options

Mr. Brooke, it's easy to say a country should take a difficult step that will cause it a lot of pain, in order to avert worse in the future, but it's harder to do.

[As an aside, Machiavelli wrote that one of the reasons Romans liked going to war so much was that they thought putting it off only meant deferring it to the enemies' advantage. A Roman response to North Korea would've meant a full-scale attack decades ago].

Edited extra bit: Mr. Jessop, and cyber-attacks.

What concerns me: now they have nukes, a massive high-altitude air-burst over SK that causes widespread EMP effects. It will knock out much of SK's infrastructure, whilst NK's is ore old-fashioned. Even some SK hardware might be affected, despite rad hardening.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

Mr. Royale, could you elaborate?

In the summer of 1914 the entire British political establishment was wrestling with the issue of Irish home rule, which was the biggest issue of the day. By far. And one of the most controversial- including a possible armed uprising in the north.

No-one saw WW1 coming or put much effort into trying to ameliorate it.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

I don't think NK have accurate enough targeting and guidance technology.

Most likely it would splash into the sea.
    What makes you think that? NK has access to modern tech (at least their military does), and guidance is nowhere near as hard as it was in the 1950s.
This discussion has been closed.