Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ruth Davidson’s Scottish successes saved TMay’s bacon on June

13»

Comments

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Just thinking about it more. Taking down a hard brexit Tory party would make Ruth the hero of Scotland and a shoo in as the next first minister. The question must be why she would not do it.

File with other 'cloud cuckoo land' ideas.

It would lead to the break up of the UK and possibly the Tory party.
    In descending order of importance?
    To me, Yes. The Union is more important than the party.
    Surely giving Davidson a 'win' over an existential issue like Brexit would be the best way to frame it for the good of both. Brexiteers climbing down for the sake of the union might seem more palatable than climbing down because Cameron and Osborne had been right and they were wrong.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,840

Nigelb said:

I don't know either - but it would have enlivened an already mind-boggling thread, had you waited 24 hours. I wonder what tomorrow will bring ?
    The biggest difficulty about putting that thread together was editing it down.

On reflection, I think this is good news for his chances. Consider this. UKIP members were always highly culturally conservative. Membership seems to be in freefall as many have drifted back to the Conservative party. The remnants are in all probability the ultras. Being the leading anti-woofter candidate (and reminding the electorate that the two front runners both bat for the other side) looks a handy piece of campaign positioning.
    Agree. Being incapable of producing a logical argument won't harm either. "Counseling involving parents should be offered on a one to one basis" shows he has no concept of what counselling is either.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Nigelb said:

Nigelb said:

I don't know either - but it would have enlivened an already mind-boggling thread, had you waited 24 hours. I wonder what tomorrow will bring ?
    The biggest difficulty about putting that thread together was editing it down.

On reflection, I think this is good news for his chances. Consider this. UKIP members were always highly culturally conservative. Membership seems to be in freefall as many have drifted back to the Conservative party. The remnants are in all probability the ultras. Being the leading anti-woofter candidate (and reminding the electorate that the two front runners both bat for the other side) looks a handy piece of campaign positioning.
    Yes, but surely you wouldn't have edited that out ???

'Bat for the other side'.... Have you been working in the UKIP press office ?
    Mr Kurten had already expressed concern that the government is to start "pushing gender queer theory on primary schools". He had ringingly declared that: "I will take UKIP in the direction of standing against the militant transgender activism that’s happening at the moment."

As I said, so much to say, so little space.
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921
    edited August 2017

Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

Just thinking about it more. Taking down a hard brexit Tory party would make Ruth the hero of Scotland and a shoo in as the next first minister. The question must be why she would not do it.

Surely giving Davidson a 'win' over an existential issue like Brexit would be the best way to frame it for the good of both. Brexiteers climbing down for the sake of the union might seem more palatable than climbing down because Cameron and Osborne had been right and they were wrong.
    Dream on.

There will be no need for climbing down.

We're leaving, and we're going to make a success of it.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789
    Mortimer said:

We're leaving, and we're going to mar a success of it.

A Freudian typo. :lol:
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Good afternoon, my fellow Parliamentary enthusiasts.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited August 2017
    Not a fan of the guy hosting the interview, but he has interviewed google employee who has been fired. It is claimed that the original document was significantly edited by the "leaker".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TN1vEfqHGro
  • Mortimer said:

Sadly the cloud is where everyone wants to be.

Makes systems very vulnerable though.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,586

Good afternoon, my fellow Parliamentary enthusiasts.

Good afternoon, Mr.D.
    A link for motoring enthusiasts...
    http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/131178/how-the-red-pig-catapulted-amg-to-greatness
  • England 56-5 Spain
    Mr. Evershed, I'm going to guess that's a rugby score.

Mr. B, must admit, outside F1 (and old new Top Gear), my motoring interest is pretty much zero.
  • Mortimer said:

Mortimer said:

The view in Scotland is that it will be England that takes down the union. The hard Brexiters accept that their views could split the union but are prepared to go ahead anyway. I personally cant see Scotland staying in the union with a hard brexit and I am a passionate unionist.

In such a circumstance Ruth who has the same view would rather take down the party than the union.

• Mortimer said:

Sadly the cloud is where everyone wants to be.

Makes systems very vulnerable though.
    That made me smile, might even pass for wit
    New thread.
  • justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    TOPPING said:

off topic of this thread (but on topic on the recent parallel thread):

Yesterday some were criticising Thatcher's "failure" to pre-empt the Argentinians' aggression towards the Falklands by sending a warship to the region (as Wilson had done in 1977), and now there seems to be criticism ofTrump for doing just that.

Wilson retired in April 1976 . The warship was sent by Callaghan in 1977.
This discussion has been closed.