Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Meet the ex-chief of staff to the BrexSec now the de facto Bre

Comments

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    Kim Jong Un's strategy is to out-crazy Donald Trump. He'll succeed on those terms.

China's strategy is more interesting. It wants to push America out of its neighborhood, preferably without going to war. Kim's rhetoric on bombing Guam could go either way in that objective.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,987
    edited August 2017
    Sean_F said:

Barnesian said:

Mr. F, why?

Just because he's nuts, or because he'd gain something?

The North could cause immense damage to Seoul, but beyond that, wouldn't they just lose badly in short order?

If North Korea nuked the South, surely the US would have to nuke the North?

That doesn't necessarily follow. It may be decided that losing SK to NK is not worth the risk of direct attack by NK on the allies' homelands. Which may be why NK has been developing such long-range strategic weapons.

If the North were to launch a surprise attack, with or without nukes, they may 'win'. At least for a few weeks until the US and allies ramp up. But the US and allies can only do that if NK hasn't taken over the entire peninsula. If NK had taken Pusan in September 1950 then the allies would have lost the war.

That's what the NK will be planning for: a massive, quick blitzkrieg to take the entire peninsula before the US and allies can respond.
    I disagree. Put yourself in Kim Jong-Un's shoes. He's seen what happened to Iraq and Libya. His strategy is to develop an effective nuclear deterrent. To do this, he needs to demonstrate his capability - which he is doing. He also needs to show he won't be cowed or bullied - which he is doing.

I suspect Xi explained this to Trump last April. "After listening for 10 minutes, I realised it's not so easy"
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-xi-jingping-north-korea-history-lesson-10-minute-china-us-talks-mar-a-lago-florida-a7681611.html

I noticed Tillerson said, in early August "We are not your enemy" “We do not seek a regime change, we do not seek the collapse of the regime, we do not seek an accelerated reunification of the peninsula”
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/01/rex-tillerson-north-korea-talks-donald-trump
    Shortly after this, China supported the US resolution on NK at the UN.

KJ is a brutal dictator but he is not crazy. I think he is quite smart and realises that any offensive move would be the end of him. Which is why Guam (and SK) are safe. But he is better practised at high pitched rhetoric than even Trump is.

I think (hope) the end game is that KJ decides that he has established a sufficiently credible deterrent, stops the testing, the rhetoric diminishes and the brutal NK regime continues under tightening economic sanctions.
    A smart dictator would surely get out while the going was good, and with his fortune intact.
    That's another credible end game. Idi Amin did that, taking refuge with his fortune first in Libya and then Saudi Arabia until his death. Who would give refuge to KJ? China? Iran (if he brings a few nukes with him - not serious!).

Edit: A luxurious Trump resort if he STFU?
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,884
    Sean_F said:

I don't think they could swiftly overrun SK. But, as you say, they may well think they can.

I fear people are thinking too conventionally. Yes, NK probably would get routed in a conventional war. But they'll have seen the might of the US military get fought to a standstill in Iraq and Afghanistan; the Russians in Afghanistan; Vietnam, the glorious failure of the Tet offensive (glorious from the perspective of NV). Why would NK choose to fight on the US and SK strengths?

In fact, if you look at the weapons they have used: the midget submarine believed to have struck the SK warship a few years back, the nukes, and others, they're aiming for a major component of unconventional warfare.

Now, unconventional warfare usually involves unconventional resistance to an invader, not an invader attacking, and so the previous successes may not be applicable. But it's dangerous to assume they'll fight a 'fair' fight on the SK and US strengths.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    Mr Glenn,

I was 25 in 1975, more interested in politics than I am now, and a Europhile. The reason? Non-tariff trade seemed a no-brainer. I followed the arguments closely, although the only ones arguing against seemed to be Tony Benn and left-wing Labour. They claimed it was plan to make us into a Super State for the capitalists to control. This was widely ridiculed and no one took it seriously.

Grocer Heath was a figure of fun in Privare Eye, and it was the year I got married.

Now you tell me it was all a mirage? Who is this woman I'm still living with then?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,896
    An advert warning of FGM... no mention of the I or M words of course. People will be reporting Polish & Lithuanian girls who go home for holidays...

https://twitter.com/barnardos/status/892626163482361858
  • Options
    Alice_AforethoughtAlice_Aforethought Posts: 772
    edited August 2017

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

On topic, there is certainly an appetite for a new party amongst Cons voters, members and MPs disillusioned with finding themselves back in the nasty party. And a nasty party with no particular economic USP any more.

(...)

What is preventing a new party is the innate sense of loyalty of many Cons people. But we are by no means at the end of history with our two party system.

If someone presented me with an economically rigorous, socially liberal, non-bonkers, EU-friendly party run by sensible people, I would certainly take a look. I think it would draw support across all current party supporters.

Despite having voted leave I miss the days of Dave and George too.
    The Dave and George of tuition fees increases, house price subsidies, disability benefit cuts, Middle Eastern warmongering ?

If you want to look at the 'nasty party' image then try Osborne's decision to freeze for five years the income level at which tuition fees become repayable while increasing the debt at RPI+3% per year.

That decision will likely cost the average graduate £6,000.
    That is pretty disgraceful. What also strikes me is really scandalous is the outrageous interest rate charged on student loans. This approaches what a retail bank would charge for a five-year unsecured loan. A student loan is nothing like such a loan. Retail loan rates are high because of the admin cost and default risk. With a student loan the admin cost is largely outsourced to employers, and if there's no employer (eg because no job), the loan is expressly ex ante agreed to be non-collectible anyway while and because that persists. So there is no comparable default risk - non-collection is contemplated and allowed for within the terms.

The risk of non-collection from those who should be paying is also small. If they should be paying, it's because they're earning, and if they're earning, their salary is in effect attached. It is not like they might spend the lot and have nothing left with which to make the payments.

A student loan appears to me to be better for the lender than, say, a mortgage loan secured on property. The mortgagor can default while still earning and you then have to repossess and sell, i.e. loss is still possible. But If a graduate is earning you can collect, and if she's not, you aren't entitled to anyway.

It feels to me like there should be a variable interest rate on student loans akin to the rate charged for ten-year mortgages, i.e. base rate plus 1.5% or so, and meanwhile the threshold at which payments are triggered should go up on some basis akin to the pensions triple lock.

It is not that graduates pay too much - they pay less tax than I did. What would piss me off would be the open-ended and arbitrary nature of the loan terms.
  • Options
    AllanAllan Posts: 262
    TGOHF said:

Allan said:

GIN1138 said:

TGOHF said:

So Chappers is getting top metrocentric media Brownie points tweeting to his luvvie mates whilst hard grafting journos are getting on with digging up the juice on Junker's expenses to minimal luvvie coverage ?

And people wonder why we voted to leave..

And Chappers tweets are fantastically entertaining in a "car crash" and "my god what a fruitcake" kind of way... ;)
    Chapman does come across as unhinged. His comments to Oakshott border on bullying and misogyny. Someone around Mrs May made a mistake by trusting him a year ago.
    One wonders what sort of career his thinks he is entering into next ? Restaurateur ?
    Well he probably thinks he is guaranteed a job with Osborne. Alternatively he could move to the land of his wife, Greece and hope that tourism keeps coming.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,348

Sean_F said:

I don't think they could swiftly overrun SK. But, as you say, they may well think they can.

I fear people are thinking too conventionally. Yes, NK probably would get routed in a conventional war. But they'll have seen the might of the US military get fought to a standstill in Iraq and Afghanistan; the Russians in Afghanistan; Vietnam, the glorious failure of the Tet offensive (glorious from the perspective of NV). Why would NK choose to fight on the US and SK strengths?

In fact, if you look at the weapons they have used: the midget submarine believed to have struck the SK warship a few years back, the nukes, and others, they're aiming for a major component of unconventional warfare.

Now, unconventional warfare usually involves unconventional resistance to an invader, not an invader attacking, and so the previous successes may not be applicable. But it's dangerous to assume they'll fight a 'fair' fight on the SK and US strengths.
    Which is why this heralded Guam 'test' is so dangerous.
    Who is to say, if they actually launch those missiles, that one isn't set to go 'off target' and airburst a nuke to take out the US base ?
    What would the US response be - and might China threaten retaliation if the US detonated nukes near their borders... ??
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

Who is to say, if they actually launch those missiles, that one isn't set to go 'off target' and airburst a nuke to take out the US base ?
    What would the US response be - and might China threaten retaliation if the US detonated nukes near their borders... ??
    IMV China would be sh*t-scared if NK detonated a missile-borne nuke. Such a capability potentially threatens them as well as SK and the US, and makes their difficult relationship with NK even more difficult (at least from their perspective).
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

Sean_F said:

I'm sure they'll fight as dirty as they can. But, in the cases you cite, the Afghans/Vietnamese were not trying to conquer their Western opponents. They simply had to inflict enough casualties to make them decide the fight wasn't worth it.

In this case, NK does have to fight to conquer, against enemies who would bitterly resist. That's a tougher challenge.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

I'm sure they'll fight as dirty as they can. But, in the cases you cite, the Afghans/Vietnamese were not trying to conquer their Western opponents. They simply had to inflict enough casualties to make them decide the fight wasn't worth it.

In this case, NK does have to fight to conquer, against enemies who would bitterly resist. That's a tougher challenge.
    That's essentially my last paragraph!

But I'm not sure NK would care about that difference: from their perspective these cases all show that US military might can be beaten. They are not invincible.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,905
    Have the wise people of pb had a go at this quiz?

https://qz.com/1050132/quiz-donald-trump-and-kim-jong-uns-nuclear-rhetoric-can-you-tell-them-apart/

I managed 8/12....
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    Barnesian said:

Sean_F said:

Barnesian said:

Mr. F, why?

Just because he's nuts, or because he'd gain something?

The North could cause immense damage to Seoul, but beyond that, wouldn't they just lose badly in short order?

If North Korea nuked the South, surely the US would have to nuke the North?

That doesn't necessarily follow. It may be decided that losing SK to NK is not worth the risk of direct attack by NK on the allies' homelands. Which may be why NK

That's what the NK will be planning for: a massive, quick blitzkrieg to take the entire peninsula before the US and allies can respond.
    I disagree. Put yourself in Kim Jong-Un's shoes. He's seen what happened to Iraq and Libya. His strategy is to develop an effective nuclear deterrent. To do this, he needs to demonstrate his capability - which he is doing. He also needs to show he won't be cowed or bullied - which he is doing.

I suspect Xi explained this to Trump last April. "After listening for 10 minutes, I realised it's not so easy"
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/us-politics/donald-trump-xi-jingping-north-korea-history-lesson-10-minute-china-us-talks-mar-a-lago-florida-a7681611.html

I noticed Tillerson said, in early August "We are not your enemy" “We do not seek a regime change, we do not seek the collapse of the regime, we do not seek an accelerated reunification of the peninsula”
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/aug/01/rex-tillerson-north-korea-talks-donald-trump
    Shortly after this, China supported the US resolution on NK at the UN.

KJ is a brutal dictator but he is not crazy. I think he is quite smart and realises that any offensive move would be the end of him. Which is why Guam (and SK) are safe. But he is better practised at high pitched rhetoric than even Trump is.

I think (hope) the end game is that KJ decides that he has established a sufficiently credible deterrent, stops the testing, the rhetoric diminishes and the brutal NK regime continues under tightening economic sanctions.
    A smart dictator would surely get out while the going was good, and with his fortune intact.
    That's another credible end game. Idi Amin did that, taking refuge with his fortune first in Libya and then Saudi Arabia until his death. Who would give refuge to KJ? China? Iran (if he brings a few nukes with him - not serious!).

Edit: A luxurious Trump resort if he STFU?
    However unjust, it's not a bad idea to offer bolt holes to the world's dictators, where they can live in luxury.

But, for many of them, a life of obscure luxury is no substitute for strutting before their people with a chest full of medals.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,918
    O/T, but if anyone’s got a trip planned: https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/aug/10/armed-police-called-to-heathrow-over-british-airways-flight-delay?CMP=fb_gu

Apparently the armed police were called to Heathrow after passengers became angry that a British Airways flight was delayed for two days.

I think BA should have been told to use their own security staff. I’m not surprised people were cross.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

https://qz.com/1050132/quiz-donald-trump-and-kim-jong-uns-nuclear-rhetoric-can-you-tell-them-apart/

I managed 8/12....

• Options

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

IMV China would be sh*t-scared if NK detonated a missile-borne nuke. Such a capability potentially threatens them as well as SK and the US, and makes their difficult relationship with NK even more difficult (at least from their perspective).
    "I’m not afraid of nuclear war. There are 2.7 billion people in the world; it doesn’t matter if some are killed. China has a population of 600 million; even if half of them are killed, there are still 300 million people left. I’m not afraid of anyone."
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

I'm sure you're right, but it doesn't really address what might happen next.
    Extremely high stakes decisions, and perhaps a matter of hours to make them... blunders can have apocalyptic consequences.
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    rkrkrk said:

I managed 8/12....

I got 11. :)
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

That's essentially my last paragraph!

But I'm not sure NK would care about that difference: from their perspective these cases all show that US military might can be beaten. They are not invincible.
    Not sure that NK DOES have to fight to conquer. The claim is that they are resu=isting aggress ion to the South/US isn’t it. And that the South & US are obnjecting to the reunification of Koea under communism.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

I managed 8/12....

I couldn't really imagine either of them saying this, so I had to guess:
    "We are willing to have talks in an open-minded manner with anyone who wants peace."
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

"I’m not afraid of nuclear war. There are 2.7 billion people in the world; it doesn’t matter if some are killed. China has a population of 600 million; even if half of them are killed, there are still 300 million people left. I’m not afraid of anyone."
    That speech was sixty years ago, and Mao is long dead. The current Chinese leadership want to become world leaders, and that involves many things such as commerce and diplomacy that they will not want imperilled.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,966
    Mr. Jessop, indeed, but it's worth recalling that one of the first things Xi Jinping did was to beef up the military even more. Since then there have been disputes with Japan over the islands, with India over their border, and a massive land grab in the South China Sea.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,221

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

The old joke:

Chinese general, discussing losses vs the Japanese:

Aide: It's bad General, the Japanese lost 50,000, but we lost a half a million troops.
    General: pretty soon, no more Japanese.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

That speech was sixty years ago, and Mao is long dead. The current Chinese leadership want to become world leaders, and that involves many things such as commerce and diplomacy that they will not want imperilled.
    Mao used the appearance that he was mad to achieve some kind of strategic equivalence with the real superpowers of the time. Modern China doesn't need to play such games.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    edited August 2017
    TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

The old joke:

Aide: It's bad General, the Japanese lost 50,000, but we lost a half a million troops.
    Is that so different from some British Generals during WW1 ?
  • Options
    Back on Brexit this article gives a clear explanation of what is at stake with leaving the EU customs union, including the key point that single country FTAs aren't worth the paper they are written on because you rarely meet the local content thresholds with just two countries, and that product certainly wouldn't meet the thresholds on an FTA between a different pair of countries. Also if tariffs are less than 5% companies will typically pay them to avoid the red tape. Brexit and customs union — what’s at stake for Britain

The first Brexit delusion - that the EU wants to give us the same deal as before without the bits we don't like - has fallen away. People are still holding onto the idea that we can compensate for the EU with third party countries. The third delusion - that Brexit will resolve things, we can do it and move on - is the most stubborn of all.

I suspect politicians will see an ever decreasing upside in owning Brexit and will pass the job onto civil servants of the sort who James Chapman dealt with, who will come up with a compromised illusion of Brexit on a sub-Norway or sub-Canada arrangement
  • Options
    FF43 said:

I suspect politicians will see an ever decreasing upside in owning Brexit and will pass the job onto civil servants of the sort who James Chapman dealt with, who will come up with a compromised illusion of Brexit on a sub-Norway or sub-Canada arrangement

A sub-Norway or sub-Canada do not provide an adequate answer to the question of what to do with Northern Ireland. Political leadership cannot be abdicated simply because it's complicated and bureaucratic solutions will not do.
  • Options
    Well he'd make a better Prime Minister than Theresa May for sure, so why not, go for it Chappers.
  • Options

And on it rolls......

And you feel compelled to spectate. You must sense he is onto something.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    And here was me thinking Journalists are all off on their jollies (or should that be trollies) in August? :D
  • Options

Well he'd make a better Prime Minister than Theresa May for sure, so why not, go for it Chappers.

How would Kim Jong-Un deal with Chappers? ;)
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152
    GIN1138 said:

And here was me thinking Journalists are all off on their jollies (or should that be trollies) in August? :D
    I don't see why he thinks it is interesting that journalists are the most energised - they need stories and this is august. He should known, he's a former journalist.

I doubt anyone else has noticed.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572

Actually I think he's drunk......
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Sometimes, don't get me wrong TSE, I get the sense that you are not a fan of TMay - whose massive GE2017 gamble cost her and her party dear.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

He's in Spetses with his wife - just enjoyed lunch.....how liquid it was.....who knows?
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

How would Kim Jong-Un deal with Chappers? ;)
    Chappers would appoint George Osborne as Deputy PM/Foreign Secretary so Kim would be bricking it.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited August 2017
    isam said:

An advert warning of FGM... no mention of the I or M words of course. People will be reporting Polish & Lithuanian girls who go home for holidays...

twitter.com/barnardos/status/892626163482361858

Some signs they might be at risk....They won't look anything like the girl in the picture....Another example of the ridiculous game of hide the ball when it comes to "sensitive topics".
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

The old joke:

Dick
  • Options

Sometimes, don't get me wrong TSE, I get the sense that you are not a fan of TMay - whose massive GE2017 gamble cost her and her party dear.
    Theresa May is great, she made me look like a visionary.

Remember all the abuse I used to get when I said Mrs May was crap and not fit to lick the boots of the posh boys.

I was right, as always*, I have nothing more to learn.

*Apart from the times I've been wrong.
  • Options
    Police missed chance to catch Asian sex gang SIX YEARS ago while officer was sacked for releasing 'dangerous' predator who went on to abuse more than 10 vulnerable girls as young as 11

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4777668/Police-missed-chance-catch-Asian-sex-gang-SIX-YEARS-ago.html
  • Options
    Is this Dutch egg thing getting out of hand?
  • Options
    edited August 2017

GIN1138 said:

He's in Spetses with his wife - just enjoyed lunch.....how liquid it was.....who knows?
    I bet Mrs Chappers is pleased to be on holiday with her husband and have him spend all his time in seemingly drunken Twitter spats with Isobel Oakshott! ;)
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

The old joke:

Dick
    I though that was Douglas ?

• Options
    Why is UKIP the home for queer bashing?

https://twitter.com/Arron_banks/status/895604475490177024
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Un oeuf of the egg jokes.
  • Options
    edited August 2017

Well, he has almost stumbled on a fair point.

It's not a great lifestyle choice.
    It's not a bad lifestyle choice either.

It's not a lifestyle choice at all...

Edit: but he isn't involved with UKIP any more, right? I thought he left before the last election.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Un oeuf of the egg jokes.
    "yolks".
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

I bet Mrs Chappers is pleased to be on holiday with her husband and have him spend all his time in seemingly drunken Twitter spats with Isobel Oakshott! ;)
    https://twitter.com/eratoporphyrios/status/895401503552307200
  • Options
    Surely it's invaluable advice?

Take very careful note of it.

Then do something else. Anything else.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703

Aren't a couple of the leadership contenders gay? Maybe this is internal UKIP manoeuvring?
  • Options

Surely it's invaluable advice?

Take very careful note of it.

Then do something else. Anything else.

Given the way the piece starts, perhaps 'where the Tories go next' should have consisted of travel advice about good walking destinations. "Nothing brings the mind into focus like a fortnight's hiking in Tierra del Fuego."
  • Options

Police missed chance to catch Asian sex gang SIX YEARS ago while officer was sacked for releasing 'dangerous' predator who went on to abuse more than 10 vulnerable girls as young as 11

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4777668/Police-missed-chance-catch-Asian-sex-gang-SIX-YEARS-ago.html

'Asian' :lol:
  • Options

Aren't the two front runners for UKIP leader both gay?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    isam said:

It looks like internal party political manoeuvring. Leave.EU supports David Kurten. The two front runners, who as you say are both gay, are both taking a much more anti-Islam approach than Nigel Farage and Arron Banks approve of. So this looks like an attempt to attack them on a pink flank.
  • Options
    isam said:

TSE - Your move! :D
  • Options
    Meanwhile, in more great news for Nicola

https://twitter.com/AgentP22/status/895589836865900544
  • Options
    isam said:

Yes, but they don't want Europhobia to be presented as a great lifestyle choice.
  • Options
    About 700,000 eggs from Dutch farms in a contamination scare have been distributed in the UK, up from an earlier estimate of 21,000.
  • Options
    Suspect in attack in Levallois-Perret on Wednesday named as Hamou Bachir Benlatreche, an Algerian national unknown to French security services
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

About 700,000 eggs from Dutch farms in a contamination scare have been distributed in the UK, up from an earlier estimate of 21,000.

Ah, those watertight EU food standards... envy of the world.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited August 2017

Had a lovely lunchn of Romanian horsemeat sold as beef with Dutch pesticide filled eggs...
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

The old joke:

Dick
    No, Peter.

Problem?
  • Options
    Also brings a whole new meaning to coffee keeping you up all night long.
  • Options

Interesting that we're hearing far less about this in the #fakenews media compared to chlorinated chickens... ;)
  • Options
    edited August 2017

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

The old joke:

Dick
    No, Peter.

Problem?
    Your name couldn't be less of a problem for me.
  • Options
    Someone has just asked if I am running James Chapman's twitter account. I have no idea where they could have gotten such an idea.

https://twitter.com/jameschappers/status/895626912680247296
    https://twitter.com/jameschappers/status/895610751611809794
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Christian Democrats and Free Democrats are running close to 50% combined in some of the latest opinion polls:

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,284
    edited August 2017
    Siôn Simon's written a new article.

Suspect it won't be as widely quoted as his 2007 New Statesman piece.

http://www.sion-simon.com/torymayor100
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    Go back to your constituencies and prepare for...

...total irrelevance.
  • Options

isam said:

It looks like internal party political manoeuvring. Leave.EU supports David Kurten. The two front runners, who as you say are both gay, are both taking a much more anti-Islam approach than Nigel Farage and Arron Banks approve of. So this looks like an attempt to attack them on a pink flank.
    Not exactly the 'home of queer bashing' then? Arron Banks isn't even part of Ukip!
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,109
    619 said:
    Disturbing.

But how different would a poll of Labour voters at the last election be if the first question was, 'Corbyn won the election and should therefore call a general strike to take power?'

Food for thought.
  • Options

Siôn Simon's written a new article.

Suspect it won't be as widely quoted as his 2007 New Statesman piece.

http://www.sion-simon.com/torymayor100

I wonder if the government missed a trick by not buying the m6 toll road.
  • Options
    Banknotes will continue to contain traces of animal products despite objections over the use of tallow in the Bank of England's polymer notes.

The vegan nazis are not going to be happy....
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    Something is obviously afoot with this 'new party' idea.

I don't think this guy Chapmans interventions are working, he gets about 50 likes per tweet.

With regard to ending Brexit: You can't just keep trying to rerun the referendum campaign: you have to wait for the people who voted leave to change their mind.
  • Options
    nielh said:

I don't think this guy Chapmans interventions are working, he gets about 50 likes per tweet.

With regard to ending Brexit: You can't just keep trying to rerun the referendum campaign: you have to wait for the people who voted leave to change their mind.

Or die.... ;)
  • Options

As pesticide in eggs and horsemeat in beef are clearly illegal there wouldn't appear to be any problem with EU food standards. There MIGHT be a problem with enforcement but that's the responsibility of national agencies, including the UK agencies in the case of horsemeat.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,288
    edited August 2017
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

The old joke:

Dick
    No, Peter.

Problem?
    Sorry, I don't understand, Topping.

You are an intelligent poster. Why have you resorted to name-calling, or am I missing something?
  • Options
    nielh said:

And you do that by telling them they're stupid and ignorant for having done so.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    GIN1138 said:

Interesting that we're hearing far less about this in the #fakenews media compared to chlorinated chickens... ;)
    The difference is that the chlorinated chickens are legal.
  • Options
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936
    nielh said:

I had a thought this morning worthy of our very own William G; every new tweet from this Chapman chap is making the founding of an anti Brexit party more and more difficult...
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

nielh said:

I had a thought this morning worthy of our very own William G; every new tweet from this Chapman chap is making the founding of an anti Brexit party more and more difficult...
    So you're suggesting the anti-Brexit party will have to be the same one it always was: the party of Macmillan, Heath, Thatcher, Cockfeld, Brittan, Major, Clarke and Osborne.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

I fear people are thinking too convrengths.
    The old joke:

Dick
    No, Peter.

Problem?
    Sorry, I don't understand, Topping.

You are an intelligent poster. Why have you resorted to name-calling, or am I missing something?
    In which case my turn to apologise; let me state the longer version of my initial response.

I thought that comparing British WWI generals with a mythical Chinese general's view on the expendability of his own forces on the one hand, and the population disparity with his enemy on the other, was inappropriate not to say misguided (hence the response) in the extreme. The British generals didn't treat their own soldiers as cannon fodder to be used up in order to deplete the enemy. Equally, there was no great disparity between the size of forces in WW1.

If yours was a lions led by donkeys point then I think there have been enough sensible revisionist WWI histories to disprove that view.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

Mortimer said:

nielh said:

So you're suggesting the anti-Brexit party will have to be the same one it always was: the party of Macmillan, Heath, Thatcher, Cockfeld, Brittan, Major, Clarke and Osborne.
    Nope, I'm suggesting that continually Remoaning makes Remaining less and less likely.
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

nielh said:

Yep. Totally counterproductive strategy. Fuels resentment against your side.

No one sees armaggeddon unfolding as a result of Brexit.

It doesn't affect peoples lives until their jobs are at risk, and there has to be a cause and effect relationship.

IE x event obviously caused by decision to leave the EU.

The idea that you would have to pay £5 for an EU visa and queue up at a passport booth in spain is a relatively small price to pay for the ability to control our borders. The idea it would make people 'rise up' is laughable.

I still think it was the wrong decision. Its a better idea to simply advocate for another way of implementing Brexit (ie EEA/single market + some additional controls on free movement). That would appear to have a clear majority of support amongst both leavers and remainers.

Plus, the guy used to be a daily mail political editor. Guys like him started these fires, which they can't now control. This is all some internal conservative party drama that I don't care the slightest about.

• Options
    nielh said:

nielh said:

Yep. Totally counterproductive strategy. Fuels resentment against your side.

No one sees armaggeddon unfolding as a result of Brexit.
    They will see the British political class crater because of it. At the end of the day people's opinions on the subject are irrelevant. Leaving the EU off the back of a weak mandate is simply beyond the strategic and political capacity of the British state and that's all there is to it.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    George Osborne doesn't need to do much to set the conspiracy theorists off. Since pictures have been circulating today of him on hols with Michael Gove, either the conspiracy is remarkably wide-ranging (entailing a damascene conversion as well) or, and more likely, journalists are in silly season mode.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

(...)
    I thought that comparing British WWI generals with a mythical Chinese general's view on the expendability of his own forces on the one hand, and the population disparity with his enemy on the other, was inappropriate not to say misguided (hence the response) in the extreme. The British generals didn't treat their own soldiers as cannon fodder to be used up in order to deplete the enemy. Equally, there was no great disparity between the size of forces in WW1.

If yours was a lions led by donkeys point then I think there have been enough sensible revisionist WWI histories to disprove that view.

It wasn't actually a mythical Chinese general, it was Chairman Mao! Interestingly, that he said it at all was disputed on the left - for obvious reasons - until very recent times, until it was placed beyond doubt (by Chinese television broadcasting a recording of him saying it). It was widely misquoted before then. I first heard it in the 90s paraphrased as "there are a billion Chinese - so what if we lose 50 million".

I have never really understood the rationale for his saying such a thing, but suggestions above have been informative on the point.
This discussion has been closed.