Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Conference and its aftermath could be BoJo’s best chance of mo

Comments

• Options

Meanwhile, over at Chelmsford, Essex have dismissed Yorkshire to record their tenth win of the season, six more than any other County.

Such dominance might suggest that they would be heavily represented in the Ashes squad, but only Alastair Cook makes it. I agree with the omission of Tom Westley but the failure to give opportunities when the openings were there to Dan Lawrence, Nick Browne and young fast bowling find Jamie Porter has meant that they could not be considered.

And yet they take Malan, who would not get in the Essex team, and Mason Crane, who wouldn't get in some school teams.

Pah.

And Gary Ballance is getting his annual last chance.

Lol! And that's one of the more reasonable picks.

Given that eight of the England side pick themselves, England Cricket Selector ought to be one of the easiest sporting jobs in the world. You only have to find three players, and a few reserves.

What do they do with their time?
    Choose your best team then look at the season's averages for reserves of opening batsman, another batsman, wicket-keeper batsman, fast bowler, spin bowler.

Job done.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,814
    Go-Bo-Jo !!!!!! :D
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

Meanwhile, over at Chelmsford, Essex have dismissed Yorkshire to record their tenth win of the season, six more than any other County.

Such dominance might suggest that they would be heavily represented in the Ashes squad, but only Alastair Cook makes it. I agree with the omission of Tom Westley but the failure to give opportunities when the openings were there to Dan Lawrence, Nick Browne and young fast bowling find Jamie Porter has meant that they could not be considered.

And yet they take Malan, who would not get in the Essex team, and Mason Crane, who wouldn't get in some school teams.

Pah.

Are Yorkshire safe from relegation ?
    Yes.

I'd be interested to know how much they've paid Kragg Brathwaite for the last two games.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955

glw said:

Anti-zionist, not antisemitic....will of course be the claim....

Ken will probably be on the air soon to let us know why this is perfectly reasonable free speech and not anti-semitism.
    Any sentence with "most Jews" is clearly unacceptable.

Hope this Topple guy is not a party member if he is he should no longer be.
    Agree.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    This is the TfL report on their trial of WiFi data collection and analysis:

http://content.tfl.gov.uk/review-tfl-wifi-pilot.pdf

One particular area they analysed was the route passengers took between Waterloo and Kings Cross station (as there is not a direct tube line). The conclusion is a far wider selection of routes than that envisaged,
  • Options

Charles said:

You'll all be pleased to know he told me he intends to play a much fuller role in politica in future and will be going to the Tory conference...

Sounds like Manchester 2017 could be the scene of the first battle of the new English civil war.
    Are the Conservatives having their conference in Manchester again ?

They do seem to going to places where nobody votes for them.

My idea was that they should go to the place with their most impressive election result for that year. Which would have seen them in the likes of Cannock, Scunthorpe and Plymouth in recent years. And this year Walsall, Mansfield or Dronfield. The last would be very convenient for TSE.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,268
    edited September 2017

One particular area they analysed was the route passengers took between Waterloo and Kings Cross station (as there is not a direct tube line). The conclusion is a far wider selection of routes than that envisaged,

Without Googling, natch, taking just one change of train:

Northern line to Leicester Square, then Piccadilly line
    Northern line to Euston, then Victoria line
    Northern line to Kennington, then Northern line (via Bank)
    Northern line to Camden Town, then Northern line (towards Bank)
    Jubilee line to London Bridge, then Northern line
    Jubilee line to Green Park, then Victoria line
    Jubilee line to Green Park, then Piccadilly line
    Jubilee line to Baker Street, then Circle line
    Bakerloo line to Baker Street, then Circle line
    Jubilee line to Baker Street, then Hammersmith & City line
    Bakerloo line to Baker Street, then Hammersmith & City line
    Jubilee line to Baker Street, then Metropolitan line
    Bakerloo line to Baker Street, then Metropolitan line
    Bakerloo line to Piccadilly Circus, then Piccadilly line
    Bakerloo line to Elephant & Castle, then Northern line
    Northern line to Embankment, then Circle line anticlockwise
    Bakerloo line to Embankment, then Circle line anticlockwise
    Jubilee line to Westminster, then Circle line anticlockwise
    Waterloo & City line to Bank, then Northern line (Mon-Sat only)
  • Options

Thanks. I saw a write-up on Ars about the trial, and it looks like a very interesting and useful data set for them. I am unconvinced whether selling such data is a good idea.
  • Options

Pah.

And Gary Ballance is getting his annual last chance.

Lol! And that's one of the more reasonable picks.

Given that eight of the England side pick themselves, England Cricket Selector ought to be one of the easiest sporting jobs in the world. You only have to find three players, and a few reserves.

What do they do with their time?
    Choose your best team then look at the season's averages for reserves of opening batsman, another batsman, wicket-keeper batsman, fast bowler, spin bowler.

Job done.
    They have Ballance and Malan in their 'best team'. They are wrong, though given some of their other bizarre selections you have to be grateful they are not as wrong as they could be.

We will just have to win the Ashes with nine players. It's possible. The Aussies have their problems too, although a poor selection process isn't one of them.
  • Options

There's a big shindig at the Foreign Office tonight at which Johnson and Fox are going to bless the launch of a new 'think tank' called the Institute for Free Trade whose President is Daniel Hannan, and claims such people as Tony Abbott and Michael Howard as its advisers.

There's a Brexit swamp in London that needs draining.

Here we go...
    https://twitter.com/RobertsDan/status/913092277660192768
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331

Pulpstar said:
    Anyone can be invited to anything. The key thing is whether they accept. That said, numerous well-known Labour supporters have spoken at fringe Tory events over the years. Does that make them Tories?

I agree. For that matter, I'm an exhibitor at the Tory conference next week.

It's just a fact of social media that from time to time someone will make something up and it will run round their mates as believable. We all need to be more sceptical thane used to be, since it's not possible to prevent it altogether.
  • Options

(Snip)
    Sunil, I read the following story and wondered if, having nearly completed the UK's lines, you'd gone further abroad and decided to spice up your journeys:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-australia-41378190/man-clings-to-train-s-windscreen-wiper-in-australia
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435

You missed the preferred and “quickest” - Bakerloo to Oxford Circus with a cross platform change to the Victoria line.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

(Snip)
    Sunil, I read the following story and wondered if, having nearly completed the UK's lines, you'd gone further abroad and decided to spice up your journeys:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-australia-41378190/man-clings-to-train-s-windscreen-wiper-in-australia
    I saw that and thought - what a drongo!

I'm disappointed that you didn't spot my "deliberate" omission:

Bakerloo line to Oxford Circus, then Victoria line
    Northern line to Euston, then Northern line towards Bank :lol:
  • Options

There's a big shindig at the Foreign Office tonight at which Johnson and Fox are going to bless the launch of a new 'think tank' called the Institute for Free Trade whose President is Daniel Hannan, and claims such people as Tony Abbott and Michael Howard as its advisers.

Here we go...
    Fantastic suggestion. Great to see a continuation of open and positive Brexit not small minded and closed one only. Who could object?
  • Options

(Snip)

I'm rarely in London nowadays, and my knowledge of the operational tube network has decreased somewhat. I can still remember some fairy useless facts through, like they tried widening the Northern Line's city branch tunnels at night, whilst still keeping the tunnel's operational during the daytime! Needless to say, they gave up after a cave-in.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    edited September 2017
    AnneJGP said:

I am shocked to find that a virulent anti-semite is behind the Laura K story.

twitter.com/JimmyRushmore/status/913029861618405376

I am worried enough about the marxist mob powering the supreme leader, I can only imagine what Jewish business people are going through.

Misery, I'd imagine - and not only those in business. Corbyn and the far-left empower anti-Semites. The comments that the likes of McCluskey and Loach have made this week are sickening. I cannot express the level of despair I feel to see the party I was once a member of descend so deep into the filthy pit of racism. It revolts me.

I only pray that somehow Corbyn totally shoots itself in the foot and the sensible centre left types like yourself can topple him before this turns into left wing Trumpery.
    It won't happen. Labour is lost for at least a generation.
    Yes, they've lost their way entirely and they will soon be leading the country, I'm afraid.
    Time, and events though.

If you sit on the side of the river long enough eventually the bodies of your enemies float by. Alleged Chinese proverb.

It's fairly possible that the next election is over four years and eight months away. that's the same time roughly separating us from the start of 2013, when the Quad was all powerful and Ed was pre bacon sandwich.

If you'd have said then that four years and eight months or so later:-

1) The Quad would all not be MPs
    2) Corbyn would be leader of Labour to adoring acclaim and be in the 40's in the polls.
    3) The Tories would've won and then lost a majority.
    4) Brexit would've been voted for
    5) Ed Balls would have Gangnam Style
    6) Scotland would've only voted narrowlyish to stay
    7)Despite 2 Labour would have half the Tory seat number in Scotland but that those six would be seen as a bit of a triumph from where they were before.
    8) Doubling Twitter characters would worry us that Potus one D Trump (who had been recently seen in a golden lift with Farage grinning like a hippo) might entangle himself closer to nuclear war with Kim Jong Un.

- the men in white coats may have been called.

Jezza could get a landslide before Xmas or a Tory BAME and/or LGBT PM could triumph in 2022. A week's a long time, a possible nearly five years, an age.

• Options

Who could object?

The idea that Dan Hannan understands anything about trade negotiations (or any business other than self-promotion) doesn't have any evidence to support it.
  • Options

You missed the preferred and “quickest” - Bakerloo to Oxford Circus with a cross platform change to the Victoria line.
    Are you trying to "out-sad" me, Verulamius? :lol:
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    welshowl said:

AnneJGP said:

I am shocked to find that a virulent anti-semite is behind the Laura K story.

twitter.com/JimmyRushmore/status/913029861618405376

I am worried enough about the marxist mob powering the supreme leader, I can only imagine what Jewish business people are going through.

Misery, I'd imagine - and not only those in business. Corbyn and the far-left empower anti-Semites. The comments that the likes of McCluskey and Loach have made this week are sickening. I cannot express the level of despair I feel to see the party I was once a member of descend so deep into the filthy pit of racism. It revolts me.

I only pray that somehow Corbyn totally shoots itself in the foot and the sensible centre left types like yourself can topple him before this turns into left wing Trumpery.
    It won't happen. Labour is lost for at least a generation.
    Yes, they've lost their way entirely and they will soon be leading the country, I'm afraid.
    Time, and events though.

If you sit on the side of the river long enough eventually the bodies of your enemies float by. Alleged Chinese proverb.

It's fairly possible that the next election is over four years and eight months away. that's the same time roughly separating us from the start of 2013, when the Quad was all powerful and Ed was pre bacon sandwich.

If you'd have said then that four years and eight months or so later:-

1) The Quad would all not be MPs
    2) Corbyn would be leader of Labour to adoring acclaim and be in the 40's in the polls.
    3) The Tories would've won and then lost a majority.
    4) Brexit would've been voted for
    5) Ed Balls would have Gangnam Style
    6) Scotland would've only voted narrowlyish to stay
    7)Despite 2 Labour would have half the Tory seat number in Scotland but that those six would be seen as a bit of a triumph from where they were before.
    8) Doubling Twitter characters would worry us that Potus one D Trump (who had been recently seen in a golden lift with Farage grinning like a hippo) might entangle himself closer to nuclear war with Kim Jong Un.

- the men in white coats may have been called.

Jezza could get a landslide before Xmas or a Tory BAME and/or LGBT PM could triumph in 2022. A week's a long time, a possible nearly five years, an age.

On the important subject of Twitter, the German Foreign Office has taken a positive view:

https://twitter.com/GermanyDiplo/status/913055591429439488
  • Options

Who could object?

The idea that Dan Hannan understands anything about trade negotiations (or any business other than self-promotion) doesn't have any evidence to support it.
    You've not provided any evidence against just your own bile and hatred.

Do you object to opening our borders to free trade?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

Wow, thank you for that. As someone who travels between Waterloo and Arsenal on a regular basis I think my instinct would be Northern Line to Leicester Square and then the Piccadilly Line. But the change between the Bakerloo and Victoria at Oxford Circus is quicker (and on the flat, I think) so that might be why that route is the most popular.

I would like to meet the people who went via London Bridge, Bank and Liverpool Street - but I guess it might have been at a time of disruption.
  • Options

(Snip)

I'm rarely in London nowadays, and my knowledge of the operational tube network has decreased somewhat. I can still remember some fairy useless facts through, like they tried widening the Northern Line's city branch tunnels at night, whilst still keeping the tunnel's operational during the daytime! Needless to say, they gave up after a cave-in.
    Didn't know that! I do know the original route was Stockwell to King William Street, and that a station called City Road (located between Old Street and Angel) was closed in 1922 after only 21 years.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Here we go...
    Fantastic suggestion. Great to see a continuation of open and positive Brexit not small minded and closed one only. Who could object?
    Do you honestly believe most Leave voters were doing so on the basis of "free trade"?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,986
    No Boris will not move. He does not want to be burdened with the Brexit talks as he wants May and Davis to carry the blame with Leavers and members for concessions made and money given on that and in any case he knows the EU would not negotiate with him anyway.

He will make his move as soon as we have left the EU in April 2019 and will present himself as the candidate to ensure that once the transition period is up we really do end free movement and leave the single market and customs union.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Here we go...
    Do you honestly believe most Leave voters were doing so on the basis of "free trade"?
    I know a number like myself did and I don't care what most Leave voters were thinking that's last years battle. I want to fight for what I believe in not what someone else does.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,973
    edited September 2017

(Snip)

Didn't know that! I do know the original route was Stockwell to King William Street, and that a station called City Road (located between Old Street and Angel) was closed in 1922 after only 21 years.
    The tunnels were enlarged by removing several of the cast iron segments from each tunnel ring, excavating a void behind to the required new diameter and reinstalling the segments with additional packing spacers. The northern section of the C&SLR between Euston and Moorgate was closed from 8 August 1922, but the rest of the line remained open with enlargement works taking place at night.[62] A collapse on 27 November 1923 caused when a train hit temporary shoring on the incomplete excavations near Elephant & Castle station filled the tunnel with soil.[62] The line was briefly operated in two parts, but was completely closed on 28 November 1923.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_and_South_London_Railway#Reconstruction.2C_connections_and_extension
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Looking at the de facto Tory options -

The only sensible choice for the country appears to my mind to be Phil Hammond. A steady pair of hands to guide us through a tricky Brexit... his chancellor should be a leaver though, and the only name I can think for the job is Gove.

Hammond PM, Gove chancellor with Lidington up to Home, and Rudd across to Foreign Secretary.

No way according to Survation the Tories poll worse against Corbyn with Hammond than under May and Gove polls even worse than Hammond.

Boris is the only leadership hopeful who took the Tory voteshare above what it was under May in the same poll
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Here we go...
    I know a number like myself did and I don't care what most Leave voters were thinking that's last years battle. I want to fight for what I believe in not what someone else does.
    Many people were conned by lies about existing trade policy peddled by the likes of Dan Hannan and James Cleverly. Many of the trade barriers they point to don't exist in the first place so the whole thing just becomes an exercise in propaganda rather than a serious policy proposal.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Ambitious to be threatening retaliatory action against a big US company with lots of friends in very high places at the same time as marching towards a cliff edge Brexit:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/bombardier-michael-fallon-boeing-donald-trump-commerce-tariff-defence-secretary-uk-government-a7969676.html?amp

We are not doing it on our own, Trudeau's Canada is right besides us against Boeing
  • Options
    Dominic Cummings accusing David Davis of lying to parliament:
    https://twitter.com/odysseanproject/status/913098267776491521
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Ambitious to be threatening retaliatory action against a big US company with lots of friends in very high places at the same time as marching towards a cliff edge Brexit:
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/bombardier-michael-fallon-boeing-donald-trump-commerce-tariff-defence-secretary-uk-government-a7969676.html?amp

It shows that free trade areas such as NAFTA are no guarantee of free trade, and also need independent dispute oversight.

It also shows how post-Brexit UK will be vulnerable to this kind of action from protectionist countries like the US. We do not have the leverage the EU has.

An interesting thread on aerospace and trade here, and the origins of this dispute:

https://twitter.com/ottocrat/status/912998997316513792

Yep ...

And this is where being an EU member is so important. The EU has the weight to defend itself. We can retaliate

The UK acting alone can’t take on the US. This is why it lost its post-war lead in civil aviation. https://academic.oup.com/ahr/article/113/1/151/41355/Jeffrey-A-Engel-Cold-War-at-30-000-Feet-The-Anglo … /

The level of delusion among the Brexit right is matched only by the delusion you see on the Corbyn left. And those are the two choices this country now has.

And the sad thing is if it had VP fined itself to trade it would have been great.

But ambitious pols had ambitions. And our paths diverged
  • Options

Mornington Crescent !
  • Options
    Charles said:

It shows that free trade areas such as NAFTA are no guarantee of free trade, and also need independent dispute oversight.

It also shows how post-Brexit UK will be vulnerable to this kind of action from protectionist countries like the US. We do not have the leverage the EU has.

An interesting thread on aerospace and trade here, and the origins of this dispute:

Yep ...

And this is where being an EU member is so important. The EU has the weight to defend itself. We can retaliate

The UK acting alone can’t take on the US. This is why it lost its post-war lead in civil aviation. https://academic.oup.com/ahr/article/113/1/151/41355/Jeffrey-A-Engel-Cold-War-at-30-000-Feet-The-Anglo … /

The level of delusion among the Brexit right is matched only by the delusion you see on the Corbyn left. And those are the two choices this country now has.

And the sad thing is if it had VP fined itself to trade it would have been great.

It had a parliament, commission, council and court from the beginning. We joined a political union for political reasons. It was never confined to trade, and if it were, it wouldn't have succeeded.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

We are not doing it on our own, Trudeau's Canada is right besides us against Boeing
    IIRC there has been a bit of history regarding the US authorities giving preferential treatment to Boeing. For example:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KC-X

The EU wasn't much help in that story.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

IIRC there has been a bit of history regarding the US authorities giving preferential treatment to Boeing. For example:

Yes another example of the EU's bark being less than its bite
  • Options

Charles said:

Yep ...

It had a parliament, commission, council and court from the beginning. We joined a political union for political reasons. It was never confined to trade, and if it were, it wouldn't have succeeded.
    Weren't the first European elections in 1979 ?
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Dominic Cummings accusing David Davis of lying to parliament:
    https://twitter.com/odysseanproject/status/913098267776491521

Of course Dominic '£350 million a week for the NHS' Cummings could never lie!
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Canada are thinking of cancelling a big order for F-16s, IIRC
  • Options

Charles said:

Yep ...

Weren't the first European elections in 1979 ?
    Yes, but it existed before then. Having direct elections was a step towards federalism.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Not quite current events, but I finished the Complete Works of Tacitus today, which is largely concerned with the political and military turmoil of the first century AD. Quite good, a broadsheet to Suetonius' tabloid, but he's not afraid of enormous sentences that can end up being a bit difficult to follow. Worth reading, but probably not as an early book for someone new to classical history.

Pedantically, complete surviving works of Tacitus, or possibly complete surviving works of Tacitus except the manuscripts in the Vatican library which the church suppresses because of the unflattering light they cast on the origins of Christianity. I was on a paleography course taught by the Vatican librarian a bit ago. I asked him about that - he stonewalled by saying that the mss. did not exist, but he would obv have to give me that answer even if they did.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yes another example of the EU's bark being less than its bite
    On the other hand, when the US pulled the plug on GE / Rolls Royce's alternative F136 engine for the F35, we did nothing.
  • Options

glw said:

Ken will probably be on the air soon to let us know why this is perfectly reasonable free speech and not anti-semitism.
    Any sentence with "most Jews" is clearly unacceptable.

Hope this Topple guy is not a party member if he is he should no longer be.
    England wickets Topple.

190 for 5
  • Options

(Snip)

The tunnels were enlarged by removing several of the cast iron segments from each tunnel ring, excavating a void behind to the required new diameter and reinstalling the segments with additional packing spacers. The northern section of the C&SLR between Euston and Moorgate was closed from 8 August 1922, but the rest of the line remained open with enlargement works taking place at night.[62] A collapse on 27 November 1923 caused when a train hit temporary shoring on the incomplete excavations near Elephant & Castle station filled the tunnel with soil.[62] The line was briefly operated in two parts, but was completely closed on 28 November 1923.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_and_South_London_Railway#Reconstruction.2C_connections_and_extension
    If only the seven deep-level lines were bored to main line (16ft) diameter like the 1904-vintage Northern City line from Moorgate to Drayton Park! That way, in the present, we could have air-conditioned S-stock operating out to places like Heathrow, Edgware, High Barnet, Epping, Walthamstow, Brixton, Morden, etc.

Oh well...
  • Options
    OT

I am now officially bloody excited. The first critics reviews of Bladerunner 2049 are out and describe it as a masterpiece and one of the greatest Science Fiction films ever made. Given I already Given that title to the original I am fantastically happy about this and can't wait to see it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2017/09/27/blade-runner-2049-first-reactions-critics-call-film-sci-fi-masterpiece/
  • Options
    If Boris moves now prepare for a second snap Brexit election in the Spring. It's the only logic to him moving now. The moment he enters No 10 he inherits the same dismal hand that May has now. How to let down Brexiters with no Commons majority as back up. If we wants to collapse the talks and go for nuclear Brexit that surely requires an election as well.If he's concluded he needs to move now prepare for a second snap election.

Thought I think Thornberry's conference jibe had a purpose. She followed Amber Rudd in making the same jibe hidden in plain sight.
  • Options

Charles said:

Yep ...

Quite so.
    The UK set up EFTA (economic) in 1960.
    It left EFTA in 1972 and joined the EEC (political).
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Ishmael_Z said:

Not quite current events, but I finished the Complete Works of Tacitus today, which is largely concerned with the political and military turmoil of the first century AD. Quite good, a broadsheet to Suetonius' tabloid, but he's not afraid of enormous sentences that can end up being a bit difficult to follow. Worth reading, but probably not as an early book for someone new to classical history.

Pedantically, complete surviving works of Tacitus, or possibly complete surviving works of Tacitus except the manuscripts in the Vatican library which the church suppresses because of the unflattering light they cast on the origins of Christianity. I was on a paleography course taught by the Vatican librarian a bit ago. I asked him about that - he stonewalled by saying that the mss. did not exist, but he would obv have to give me that answer even if they did.
    Presumably they don't exist any longer. If 'the church' was that worried, they'd have destroyed them long ago, surely?
  • Options

OT

I am now officially bloody excited. The first critics reviews of Bladerunner 2049 are out and describe it as a masterpiece and one of the greatest Science Fiction films ever made. Given I already Given that title to the original I am fantastically happy about this and can't wait to see it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2017/09/27/blade-runner-2049-first-reactions-critics-call-film-sci-fi-masterpiece/

I love scifi, but the original Bladerunner never did much for me. I'll have to watch it again and see if my forties self has a different view ...
  • Options
    spire2spire2 Posts: 183
    What could he do to justify a leadership run? He's tied into the policy put forward last week

If Boris moves now prepare for a second snap Brexit election in the Spring. It's the only logic to him moving now. The moment he enters No 10 he inherits the same dismal hand that May has now. How to let down Brexiters with no Commons majority as back up. If we wants to collapse the talks and go for nuclear Brexit that surely requires an election as well.If he's concluded he needs to move now prepare for a second snap election.

Thought I think Thornberry's conference jibe had a purpose. She followed Amber Rudd in making the same jibe hidden in plain sight.

• Options

OT

The book is better.

Actually it isn't.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Here we go...

I did.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Canada are thinking of cancelling a big order for F-16s, IIRC
    Trudeau has said that yes
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

If only the seven deep-level lines were bored to main line (16ft) diameter like the 1904-vintage Northern City line from Moorgate to Drayton Park! That way, in the present, we could have air-conditioned S-stock operating out to places like Heathrow, Edgware, High Barnet, Epping, Walthamstow, Brixton, Morden, etc.

Oh well...
    You'd still have to find some way of dealing with the heat dumped out of the trains' aircon. Or be like the NYC Subway and accept oven-like stations as a price worth paying.
  • Options

Charles said:

Yep ...

Quite so.
    Didn't the EEC stand for European ECONOMIC Community ?

If it had been political it would have been called the European POLITICAL Community.
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    I very much doubt whether Johnson is planning a coup after the Tory conference -its more chattering class speculation -and even if he was, the Tory conference is probably a poor place and time to plan it, since to an extent the conference will want to put up a united front after the Corbyn hubristic jubilee.
    The Tories will also want to ask whether a Bullington Club Etonian toff who is the main villain to Remainers is really the answer to the threat from Corbyn. The voters might be asking too what kind of choice it is next time when they have to decide whether they want a buffoon or a Trot as their prime minister.
  • Options

He won't, he will wait until 2019
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    edited September 2017
    @williamglenn " Ever closer union " is in the original Treaty of Rome. The choices of Iron, Steel and Nuclear power as things to put under supranational control was explicitly political in the light of WW2. The 1975 Referendum Ballot Paper asks about staying in " The European Community " with ' Common Market ' in brackets afterwards as an explainer.

The idea it wasn't an explicitly political project from the begining is one of the Europhobes biggest but sadly most effective lies.
  • Options

Charles said:

Yep ...

Quite so.

If it had been political it would have been called the European POLITICAL Community.
    We joined the European Communities: the EEC, the ECSC and Euratom, which had already been merged under the same political structure before we joined.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited September 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

I dunno, what we do have gives the impression he regarded Christianity as an unpleasant, but not very important, cult. <hat type="tinfoil">Of course, the Vatican might have rewritten it that way to put everyone off the scent.</hat>
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Presumably they don't exist any longer. If 'the church' was that worried, they'd have destroyed them long ago, surely?
    Well ... this is obviously all just a conspiracy theory anyway, but for the scholarly, destroying unique ancient mss is the worst sin imaginable, and the people in charge of the library are scholars, so a compromise whereby the ms is locked away but not actually burnt would not be completely inconceivable.
  • Options
    stevef said:

I very much doubt whether Johnson is planning a coup after the Tory conference -its more chattering class speculation -and even if he was, the Tory conference is probably a poor place and time to plan it, since to an extent the conference will want to put up a united front after the Corbyn hubristic jubilee.
    The Tories will also want to ask whether a Bullington Club Etonian toff who is the main villain to Remainers is really the answer to the threat from Corbyn. The voters might be asking too what kind of choice it is next time when they have to decide whether they want a buffoon or a Trot as their prime minister.

Boris currently leads every poll of the public as to who they want to succeed May as Tory leader and also gets the best Tory voteshare of all potential successors against Corbyn Labour.

Unless someone else emerges who at least matches his polling performance he remains the man to beat
  • Options

Charles said:

Yep ...

Quite so.

We joined the European Communities: the EEC, the ECSC and Euratom, which had already been merged under the same political structure before we joined.
    Which just shows what a bad fit the UK was for the organisation.

The EU believed in 'ever closer union' while the UK wanted an economic association.

And that's why both the EU and the UK will be better off doing their own things.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

OT

Maybe I should get around to watching the original. I hope thus new one is good, I hate people moaning about sequels or remakes
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Ishmael_Z said:

AnneJGP said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Well ... this is obviously all just a conspiracy theory anyway, but for the scholarly, destroying unique ancient mss is the worst sin imaginable, and the people in charge of the library are scholars, so a compromise whereby the ms is locked away but not actually burnt would not be completely inconceivable.
    That's how we view ancient manuscripts now. How long have scholars bothered about that? They didn't see any problem about killing people with the wrong ideas, did they?
  • Options
    Give it a few years and the usual suspects will be claiming on here that the Vatican surpressed the benefits of Brexit.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2017
    Fascinating situation in the cricket.

Weather forecast is rain, england behind DL, but can't afford to lose a wicket if the rain doesn't come.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

Fascinating situation in the cricket.

Yes its very close.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    What suggestions do our resident tories have to beat JC next time, if they believe rubbishin his economics is all that's needed they will be dissapointed
  • Options
    Ali seeing like a beach ball!
  • Options
    nichomar said:

What suggestions do our resident tories have to beat JC next time, if they believe rubbishin his economics is all that's needed they will be dissapointed

Common sense
  • Options

@williamglenn " Ever closer union " is in the original Treaty of Rome. The choices of Iron, Steel and Nuclear power as things to put under supranational control was explicitly political in the light of WW2. The 1975 Referendum Ballot Paper asks about staying in " The European Community " with ' Common Market ' in brackets afterwards as an explainer.

The idea it wasn't an explicitly political project from the begining is one of the Europhobes biggest but sadly most effective lies.

Yet it was Leave which said that the alternative was EverCloserUnion.

While Remain supporters have for decades pretended otherwise.

You should be angry with all those Remain politicians who failed to make a positive case for EverCloserUnion.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited September 2017
    RobD said:
    "He tried to pass the helicopter exam about four times and he couldn't get through it at all so he always goes for the co-pilot. So he just sits there going 'vroom vroom'."

That is quite funny.

I do feel a bit sorry for the guy, though. His is a pointless life that should never have happened.
  • Options

nichomar said:

Common sense
    Unfortunately not a lot of that about!
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:

Common sense
    Not enough we've seen that doesn't work
  • Options

You should be angry with all those Remain politicians who failed to make a positive case for EverCloserUnion.
    The campaign in 1975 was much more inspiring.

https://vimeo.com/235789390
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,331
    edited September 2017
    HYUFD said:

Trying to be objective, I think it's in the Tories' best interests (and indeed the country's) to line up soberly behind May until the Brexit talks conclude. If they're thought to have gone well, she'll be popular and they can keep her on. If they aren't, that's the time to dump her.

However, the *worst* option for the Tories is two years of feverish speculation - will Boris mount a coup? Will Davis resign? Will Fox denounce Gove? etc etc That will poison the well for either May or any plausible successor. So the least bad realistic option is probably to do it now and clear the air.
  • Options
    The 3 keys things about early Christian Mss are #1 The huge number of extant ones #2 How quickly and how far geographically they spread after the life of Christ #3 How relatively close chronologically they are to the alleged events. The volume and strength of the extant mas corpus compared to other time frames in the Ancient world's is astonishing.

Whatever else the early church was it prompted a rapid and continent wide explosion of mass unusually close in time to alleged events and then was unusually adept at preserving them.
  • Options

OT

It can't possibly be this good:

"Quite an experience to live in fear, isn't it? That's what it is to be a slave.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. Time to die."
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Not a tory of any type but:

Increase home ownership.
    Maximum wage in the public sector including the BBC and universities.
  • Options
    Rain cascading down - England +4 on DL
  • Options

nichomar said:

Increase home ownership.
    Some movement on student fees and take National Living Wage down to 21
  • Options

6 ahead on DL as rain stops play
  • Options

Shame for this not to play out properly.
  • Options

The campaign in 1975 was much more inspiring.

https://vimeo.com/235789390
    Heath was one of the few that was honest - contrast with the current lot.

But he was unrealistic to think that the UK would become the dominant voice in the EEC.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2017
    Can I just say IOS 11....Works about as well as the Venezuelan economy!
  • Options

Can I just say IOS 11....Works about as well as the Venezuelan economy!

"Labour Ground Game" :lol:
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    edited September 2017
    @another_richard I agree with that actually. The bitter lesson of the referendum is the Euronutters can't be satisfied and the European project can only be defended in it's own terms. Cameron got an opt out on Ever closer union and all the nutters who'd spent 40 years banging in about it still weren't satisfied.

Of course the full phrase is " ever closer union of peoples " not states. It's a rather smug evocation of " more perfect union " in the US constitution. It's a flowery and arguably pretentious piece of poetry but thats all.
  • Options

Charles said:

Yep ...

Quite so.

All of them 1950s throwbacks! So who's suffering from 1950s nostalgia now? :lol:
  • Options
    Regarding the very real anti-semitism problem in the Labour Party- you have to understand just how idiotic some of our members are.

They are pro Palestine and anti-Israel. Not anti-Netanyahu and his policies, but against it's existence as it's obviously imperialist colonialism. And therefore criticism of the entire state and it's occupants is ok, and the Zionist project that created it. And the people who like Zionism are connected in a great global conspiracy and also control money and the media.

When you point out that global Jewish conspiracy controlling all the money is what the Nazis used to write, they see it as proof that you are under the spell of this conspiracy and are therefore probably a Tory. And besudes which in calling out anti-Semitism you're siding with the Blairite who get paid by Lord Sainsbury who is big capital and that means part of the global conspiracy and that just proves you are a Tory and need to GET BEHIND OUR TWICE ELECTED LEADER.

Seriously. It's fucking crazy not in a funny way
  • Options
    Pong said:

RobD said:
    "He tried to pass the helicopter exam about four times and he couldn't get through it at all so he always goes for the co-pilot. So he just sits there going 'vroom vroom'."

That is quite funny.

I do feel a bit sorry for the guy, though. His is a pointless life that should never have happened.
    Harry is a good looking multi millionaire with a Hollywood actress girlfriend, there are plenty more people more deserving of pity than him!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    rpjs said:

Oh well...

You'd still have to find some way of dealing with the heat dumped out of the trains' aircon. Or be like the NYC Subway and accept oven-like stations as a price worth paying.
    Well, I was thinking of at least some kind of full-size trains. They still use 313s at Moorgate. And the very similar 507/508s in Liverpool (which has four deep-level tube stations).
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Pong said:

RobD said:

That is quite funny.

Damn missed the edit cutoff.

Anyway, I retract that last comment. It wasn't nice.
  • Options
    AnneJGP said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AnneJGP said:

Ishmael_Z said:

That's how we view ancient manuscripts now. How long have scholars bothered about that? They didn't see any problem about killing people with the wrong ideas, did they?
    No, that is not right at all. You have had scholars as long as you have had writing, and to be a scholar is and always has been to be a manuscript geek. To destroy an unpublished manuscript is to destroy knowledge in the abstract as well as the physical thing. And the putative risk of not destroying it is virtually nil. Presumably you'd keep the thing in a safe with one key held by the Pope, because if it isn't locked away it could be surreptitiously copied, and any scenario where that level of security fails is one where the church has been obliterated anyway.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    HYUFD said:

Pong said:

RobD said:

That is quite funny.

Harry is a good looking multi millionaire with a Hollywood actress girlfriend, there are plenty more people more deserving of pity than him!
    He has a horrible life.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

HYUFD said:

Trying to be objective, I think it's in the Tories' best interests (and indeed the country's) to line up soberly behind May until the Brexit talks conclude. If they're thought to have gone well, she'll be popular and they can keep her on. If they aren't, that's the time to dump her.

However, the *worst* option for the Tories is two years of feverish speculation - will Boris mount a coup? Will Davis resign? Will Fox denounce Gove? etc etc That will poison the well for either May or any plausible successor. So the least bad realistic option is probably to do it now and clear the air.
    Your first paragraph is correct, your last sentence less so.

Given the only potential successor more popular and electable than May is Boris and he would torpedo the Brexit talks immediately it is best to get the talks out the way before considering a leadership change
  • Options

@another_richard I agree with that actually. The bitter lesson of the referendum is the Euronutters can't be satisfied and the European project can only be defended in it's own terms.

This is very true. Since the referendum however, people who are prepared to defend the EU in its own terms are stepping forwards, and its clear that Eurosceptics who are used to being met with dissembling and evasion are now losing the arguments. In addition their lack of answers to the very pressing practical problems created by Brexit is creating the perfect storm.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

nichomar said:

Increase home ownership.
    The Universities are not in the public sector.

They are independent entities.
This discussion has been closed.