Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Conference and its aftermath could be BoJo’s best chance of mo

Comments

• Options

nichomar said:

What suggestions do our resident tories have to beat JC next time, if they believe rubbishin his economics is all that's needed they will be dissapointed

Not a tory of any type but:

Increase home ownership.
    Maximum wage in the public sector including the BBC and universities.
    The Universities are not in the public sector.

They are independent entities.
    Registered charities, IIRC (at least when it comes to being eligible for zero-rated VAT when ordering from suppliers).
  • Options

@another_richard I agree with that actually. The bitter lesson of the referendum is the Euronutters can't be satisfied and the European project can only be defended in it's own terms.

This is very true. Since the referendum however, people who are prepared to defend the EU in its own terms are stepping forwards, and its clear that Eurosceptics who are used to being met with dissembling and evasion are now losing the arguments. In addition their lack of answers to the very pressing practical problems created by Brexit is creating the perfect storm.
    Absolute garbage. Simply repeating your Eurofanatuc lies ad infinitum does not make you any less wrong.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Pong said:

RobD said:
    "He tried to pass the helicopter exam about four times and he couldn't get through it at all so he always goes for the co-pilot. So he just sits there going 'vroom vroom'."

That is quite funny.

I do feel a bit sorry for the guy, though. His is a pointless life that should never have happened.
    Damn missed the edit cutoff.

Anyway, I retract that last comment. It wasn't nice.
    No it was dreadful - and I am not a follower of the Royals
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited September 2017
    Pong said:

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

RobD said:
    "He tried to pass the helicopter exam about four times and he couldn't get through it at all so he always goes for the co-pilot. So he just sits there going 'vroom vroom'."

That is quite funny.

I do feel a bit sorry for the guy, though. His is a pointless life that should never have happened.
    Harry is a good looking multi millionaire with a Hollywood actress girlfriend, there are plenty more people more deserving of pity than him!
    He has a horrible life.
    Someone who is homeless or in a 1 bedroom council flat without a job or lives in Syria in the middle of a bloody civil war has a pretty horrible life, Harry certainly does not.
  • Options

Who could object?

The idea that Dan Hannan understands anything about trade negotiations (or any business other than self-promotion) doesn't have any evidence to support it.
    You've not provided any evidence against just your own bile and hatred.

Do you object to opening our borders to free trade?
    WilliamGlenn is a little Europeaner.
  • Options
    @williamglenn Indeed William. And we start from a much higher base than the Europhobes did in 1975. Both in terms of popular vote and in terms of integration that can be defended and then used as a base to move forward. ' Resistance then Reunion ' should be our Cry and Creed.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Pong said:

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

RobD said:

That is quite funny.

Harry is a good looking multi millionaire with a Hollywood actress girlfriend, there are plenty more people more deserving of pity than him!
    He has a horrible life.
    Terrible, has to get up every morning at 6 and commute to work, worries how he pays the mortgage and has an all controling grandma that can tell him how to live his life. What a burden
  • Options

@williamglenn " Ever closer union " is in the original Treaty of Rome. The choices of Iron, Steel and Nuclear power as things to put under supranational control was explicitly political in the light of WW2. The 1975 Referendum Ballot Paper asks about staying in " The European Community " with ' Common Market ' in brackets afterwards as an explainer.

The idea it wasn't an explicitly political project from the begining is one of the Europhobes biggest but sadly most effective lies.

Whether it was an explicitly political project or not we do not today want to be part of a politics project. So that's all that matters.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

OT

I am now officially bloody excited. The first critics reviews of Bladerunner 2049 are out and describe it as a masterpiece and one of the greatest Science Fiction films ever made. Given I already Given that title to the original I am fantastically happy about this and can't wait to see it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2017/09/27/blade-runner-2049-first-reactions-critics-call-film-sci-fi-masterpiece/

The book is better.

Actually it isn't.
    The ending of the Balderunner movie is certainly better than the ending of the book. In the book, Deckard simply killed Roy Baty with one shot. Rutger Hauer's immortal lines were a huge improvement.

Apparently Hauer wrote his own lines for the closing monologue

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tears_in_rain_monologue
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,624

@another_richard I agree with that actually. The bitter lesson of the referendum is the Euronutters can't be satisfied and the European project can only be defended in it's own terms.

This is very true. Since the referendum however, people who are prepared to defend the EU in its own terms are stepping forwards, and its clear that Eurosceptics who are used to being met with dissembling and evasion are now losing the arguments. In addition their lack of answers to the very pressing practical problems created by Brexit is creating the perfect storm.
    Far from being clear, as in clear to all. And I have bregreT.
  • Options

@williamglenn " Ever closer union " is in the original Treaty of Rome. The choices of Iron, Steel and Nuclear power as things to put under supranational control was explicitly political in the light of WW2. The 1975 Referendum Ballot Paper asks about staying in " The European Community " with ' Common Market ' in brackets afterwards as an explainer.

The idea it wasn't an explicitly political project from the begining is one of the Europhobes biggest but sadly most effective lies.

Whether it was an explicitly political project or not we do not today want to be part of a politics project. So that's all that matters.
    You don't want to how do you get to we?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

There was a referendum. By outcome it either said no to a political project or at least this one.
  • Options

@another_richard I agree with that actually. The bitter lesson of the referendum is the Euronutters can't be satisfied and the European project can only be defended in it's own terms. Cameron got an opt out on Ever closer union and all the nutters who'd spent 40 years banging in about it still weren't satisfied.

Of course the full phrase is " ever closer union of peoples " not states. It's a rather smug evocation of " more perfect union " in the US constitution. It's a flowery and arguably pretentious piece of poetry but thats all.

There was no guarantee we would not be forced into an ever closer union with the EU. For example, if a European Public Prosecutor’s Office was established, the prosecutor could issue arrest warrants in the UK even if we did not join the public prosecutor.
  • Options

OT

I am now officially bloody excited. The first critics reviews of Bladerunner 2049 are out and describe it as a masterpiece and one of the greatest Science Fiction films ever made. Given I already Given that title to the original I am fantastically happy about this and can't wait to see it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/films/2017/09/27/blade-runner-2049-first-reactions-critics-call-film-sci-fi-masterpiece/

The book is better.

Actually it isn't.
    The ending of the Balderunner movie is certainly better than the ending of the book. In the book, Deckard simply killed Roy Baty with one shot. Rutger Hauer's immortal lines were a huge improvement.

Balderunner - starring Mike Smithson :lol:
  • Options

Ambitious to be threatening retaliatory action against a big US company with lots of friends in very high places at the same time as marching towards a cliff edge Brexit:

Cancellation is a great idea. Why send billions abroad when we can spend it on our NHS? Get Boris to sort it...
  • Options

OT

The book is better.

Actually it isn't.

Balderunner - starring Mike Smithson :lol:
    Oops!
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Besides the 17.4 million votes?

I believe opinion polls all along have shown the political part of the EU to be what was most objectionable. If there was an option for the economics without the politics I suspect it could have won a landslide.
  • Options

nichomar said:

I believe opinion polls all along have shown the political part of the EU to be what was most objectionable. If there was an option for the economics without the politics I suspect it could have won a landslide.
    If more of us had believed what Cameron git was worthwhile and that the EU would not in spirit ignore it, which the vindictive attitude it's supporters want it to take, remain would have won.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

"We?"

You can only speak for yourself.

Speaking for myself, I am staying part of the EU.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Yesterday Remainers had a frisson of excitement that Macron was about to "sort out the EU" and make us an offer we couldn't refuse. I see today that Macron's big plan is, can you guess it? More Europe!
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869

Regarding the very real anti-semitism problem in the Labour Party- you have to understand just how idiotic some of our members are.

They are pro Palestine and anti-Israel. Not anti-Netanyahu and his policies, but against it's existence as it's obviously imperialist colonialism. And therefore criticism of the entire state and it's occupants is ok, and the Zionist project that created it. And the people who like Zionism are connected in a great global conspiracy and also control money and the media.

When you point out that global Jewish conspiracy controlling all the money is what the Nazis used to write, they see it as proof that you are under the spell of this conspiracy and are therefore probably a Tory. And besudes which in calling out anti-Semitism you're siding with the Blairite who get paid by Lord Sainsbury who is big capital and that means part of the global conspiracy and that just proves you are a Tory and need to GET BEHIND OUR TWICE ELECTED LEADER.

Seriously. It's fucking crazy not in a funny way

Thank you for that insight. I find it helpful.
  • Options
    glw said:

Yesterday Remainers had a frisson of excitement that Macron was about to "sort out the EU" and make us an offer we couldn't refuse. I see today that Macron's big plan is, can you guess it? More Europe!
    Remainers have been squealing for months about Macron being their saviour. Turns out he wants a United States of Europe.
  • Options
    glw said:

How did I mentioned in this?
  • Options
    glw said:

Two years ago I would have been less than impressed by M Macron's plan. Now, post Brexit, I feel that it is probably the best way forward for the EU.
  • Options

If there was an option for the economics without the politics I suspect it could have won a landslide.

In the same sense that an option for public spending without the taxes would win by a landslide. People want to have their cake and eat it.
  • Options
    AnneJGPAnneJGP Posts: 2,869
    Ishmael_Z said:

AnneJGP said:

Ishmael_Z said:

AnneJGP said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Not quite current events, but I finished the Complete Works of Tacitus today, which is largely concerned with the political and military turmoil of the first century AD. Quite good, a broadsheet to Suetonius' tabloid, but he's not afraid of enormous sentences that can end up being a bit difficult to follow. Worth reading, but probably not as an early book for someone new to classical history.

Pedantically, complete surviving works of Tacitus, or possibly complete surviving works of Tacitus except the manuscripts in the Vatican library which the church suppresses because of the unflattering light they cast on the origins of Christianity. I was on a paleography course taught by the Vatican librarian a bit ago. I asked him about that - he stonewalled by saying that the mss. did not exist, but he would obv have to give me that answer even if they did.
    Presumably they don't exist any longer. If 'the church' was that worried, they'd have destroyed them long ago, surely?
    Well ... this is obviously all just a conspiracy theory anyway, but for the scholarly, destroying unique ancient mss is the worst sin imaginable, and the people in charge of the library are scholars, so a compromise whereby the ms is locked away but not actually burnt would not be completely inconceivable.
    That's how we view ancient manuscripts now. How long have scholars bothered about that? They didn't see any problem about killing people with the wrong ideas, did they?
    No, that is not right at all. You have had scholars as long as you have had writing, and to be a scholar is and always has been to be a manuscript geek. To destroy an unpublished manuscript is to destroy knowledge in the abstract as well as the physical thing. And the putative risk of not destroying it is virtually nil. Presumably you'd keep the thing in a safe with one key held by the Pope, because if it isn't locked away it could be surreptitiously copied, and any scenario where that level of security fails is one where the church has been obliterated anyway.
    I can (mostly) accept that. But it is surely a rather optimistic view of the virtue of individual scholars and, perhaps more importantly, their masters.

I am no historian, but I have rather gathered that some of the leading church figures - even Popes -
    were hardly what you'd call full of high-minded ethical principles.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821

Regarding the very real anti-semitism problem in the Labour Party- you have to understand just how idiotic some of our members are.

They are pro Palestine and anti-Israel. Not anti-Netanyahu and his policies, but against it's existence as it's obviously imperialist colonialism. And therefore criticism of the entire state and it's occupants is ok, and the Zionist project that created it. And the people who like Zionism are connected in a great global conspiracy and also control money and the media.

When you point out that global Jewish conspiracy controlling all the money is what the Nazis used to write, they see it as proof that you are under the spell of this conspiracy and are therefore probably a Tory. And besudes which in calling out anti-Semitism you're siding with the Blairite who get paid by Lord Sainsbury who is big capital and that means part of the global conspiracy and that just proves you are a Tory and need to GET BEHIND OUR TWICE ELECTED LEADER.

Sounds bad.

I ca0n honestly say I have never come across any discussions of this nature but there are clearly too many instances being sighted for it to be a non issue.

How would you resolve it?
  • Options
    England win the cricket...Great awareness by buttler and Ali, but shame didn't get to see it played out properly.
  • Options

How did I mentioned in this?

It's the bloody silly automatic saved drafts thing, I seem to end up with bits of earlier comments left over in the edit box. Then when I trim the quotes the wrong outer quote is left, because I'm not looking for the name but the closing bracket.

I shall try to be more careful, but I won't promise to get it right.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    FPT
    stevef said:
    ' In 1964 Wilson having had a double digit lead over Home for several months scraped in with a majority of 4. In 1986 Kinnock had a 12 point lead over Thatcher, but lost the general election of 1987. Ed Miliband had a 12 point lead over Cameron in 2012, lost the election in 2015.

......Corbyn is 4 points ahead in some polls today, 2 points behind in one, and Labour chanting mindlessly like a Nuremburg rally is a government in waiting?

Really?'
    Justin124 said
    ' Well he is doing much better than Gaitskell managed four months following the 1959 election!'

Stevef said

'Gaitskell dropped dead in 1963 and was younger than Corbyn. '

Gaitskell did not 'drop dead' in January 1963. He was seriously ill in hospital for ten days before succumbing to an autoimmune disease. I am not sure what relevance his age had to his performance in the polls just four months beyond the 1959 election.
  • Options
    ." Still to be reached are cadres of older patriotic working classes, and the shire and suburb patio zones still terra incognita to Corbynism. Can he do that? The Tories may fix it for him, daily more unfit to govern, sinking in their own Brexit quicksand, with no better leader in sight. "

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/27/jeremy-corbyn-conference-speech
  • Options
    MP_SE2 said:

Remainers have been squealing for months about Macron being their saviour. Turns out he wants a United States of Europe.

Yeah I wondered what he was going to say, seriously rcs rated him FWTW, but it turns out that Macron and Juncker are signing from the same hymn sheet. Better luck next time.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

If there was an option for the economics without the politics I suspect it could have won a landslide.

In the same sense that an option for public spending without the taxes would win by a landslide. People want to have their cake and eat it.
    In my mind politics and economics are always intertwined in that all ways of managing economics are political, in that they involve political decisions, even if the decision is to not interfere.

Was the 2008 GFC political or economic or both? the Third world debt crisis? the Cold War? The 1929 Wall St Crash? The Irish potato famine?

In reality they were all both, as both politics and economics are how we interact with our neighbours.

So the EEC was always political, indeed so was our forming EFTA as an attempted rival.
  • Options
    glw said:

MP_SE2 said:

Yeah I wondered what he was going to say, seriously rcs rated him FWTW, but it turns out that Macron and Juncker are signing from the same hymn sheet. Better luck next time.
    People seemed to overlook he was hollande's man only a couple of years ago.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

nichomar said:

@williamglenn " Ever closer union " is in the original Treaty of Rome. The choices of

If more of us had believed what Cameron git was worthwhile and that the EU would not in spirit ignore it, which the vindictive attitude it's supporters want it to take, remain would have won.
    Lets be controversial nere, 1 million voted to kick the establishment in the balls, 1 million wanted the asians removed from our towns and cities and a few thought that it would have no impact on them. Thats democracybut there is no obvious solution that we get majority support
  • Options

OT

Here's hoping.

The Electric Dreams thing on Sunday nights is a tad disappointing, though no reason that should augur anything for Bladerunner 2049.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pong said:

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

RobD said:

That is quite funny.

He has a horrible life.
    Someone who is homeless or in a 1 bedroom council flat without a job or lives in Syria in the middle of a bloody civil war has a pretty horrible life, Harry certainly does not.
    He lost his mother aged 11. No amount of money and privilege in the world can help with that.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

RobD said:

That is quite funny.

He has a horrible life.
    He lost his mother aged 11. No amount of money and privilege in the world can help with that.
    Not unique in that, sympphy yes but get on with it
  • Options

glw said:

MP_SE2 said:

People seemed to overlook he was hollande's man only a couple of years ago.
    Well yes, in which case it shouldn't surprise us. I think some people assumed that because Macron wants to liberalise France he might want a looser multi-speed EU, but his EU views are much in line with his old boss.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

RobD said:

That is quite funny.

He has a horrible life.
    I have seen other views expressed that the invectus games only help those that are ablle to aspire. Ignoring the majority who are neglected and ignored but i don't know the truth
  • Options
    Kurds Back Independence by 92% in Referendum; Iraq May Send Troops https://nyti.ms/2yteOwG
  • Options

Kurds Back Independence by 92% in Referendum; Iraq May Send Troops https://nyti.ms/2yteOwG

Catalans Back Independence by 92% in Referendum; Spain May Send Troops?
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307

Sounds bad.

I ca0n honestly say I have never come across any discussions of this nature but there are clearly too many instances being sighted for it to be a non issue.

Its very difficult to deal with the politics of conspiracy.
  • Options
    calum said:
    #LatestJackieBailliePish seems to be the hashtag of the evening.
  • Options

And that's without the Kurds saying it's a unilateral declaration of independence.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

kle4 said:

nichomar said:

@williamglenn " Ever closer union " is in the original Treaty of Rome. The choices of

Lets be controversial nere, 1 million voted to kick the establishment in the balls, 1 million wanted the asians removed from our towns and cities and a few thought that it would have no impact on them. Thats democracybut there is no obvious solution that we get majority support
    Probably not, but it doesn't stop insulting simplifications from people easily smart enough to know better.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    ...but the whole week has had 'Sheffield rally' written all over it.

If Mr Johnson does indeed defenestrate Mrs May, and he has been on manoeuvres in the Czech Republic in the last 24 hours, a snap election will surely follow a Johnson coronation. Boris will be riding the crest of a wave and the landslide Mrs May failed to achieve will surely follow. If he is too tardy in calling an election his stock will surely fall as his vision of train-wreck Brexit becomes a reality.
  • Options
    I see that some just can't help using social media to show themselves up today.

First the Canary continuing Corbynistas ridiculous campaign against Laura K and now Michael White on Twitter.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

If Mr Johnson does indeed defenestrate Mrs May, and he has been on manoeuvres in the Czech Republic in the last 24 hours, a snap election will surely follow a Johnson coronation. Boris will be riding the crest of a wave and the landslide Mrs May failed to achieve will surely follow. If he is too tardy in calling an election his stock will surely fall as his vision of train-wreck Brexit becomes a reality.
    ....and then you'll wake up.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,247
    edited September 2017
    nielh said:

Sounds bad.

Its very difficult to deal with the politics of conspiracy.
    It is simple - Corbyn should have named those involved and announced they had been expelled today from the party. He had over 75 minutes to do it but 28 of those were him admiring the applause
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,043
    Danny565 said:

....and then you'll wake up.
    ...from the nightmare!
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

@another_richard I agree with that actually. The bitter lesson of the referendum is the Euronutters can't be satisfied and the European project can only be defended in it's own terms. Cameron got an opt out on Ever closer union and all the nutters who'd spent 40 years banging in about it still weren't satisfied.

Of course the full phrase is " ever closer union of peoples " not states. It's a rather smug evocation of " more perfect union " in the US constitution. It's a flowery and arguably pretentious piece of poetry but thats all.

And no one ever addresses the emerging phenomenon of Eurozone bloc voting.

If they had set up the double majority requirement (Eurozone/non-Eurozone) they would probably have kept the UK in the EU.

But they thought they didn't have to - presumably (I speculate) because DC told them to chillac, he had it nailed
  • Options
    edited September 2017

So we have to wait for the, tory party to sort out their problemd problems before we sort out brexit, why, because it's more important
  • Options
    Charles said:

And no one ever addresses the emerging phenomenon of Eurozone bloc voting.

If they had set up the double majority requirement (Eurozone/non-Eurozone) they would probably have kept the UK in the EU.

But they thought they didn't have to - presumably (I speculate) because DC told them to chillac, he had it nailed
    When I asked for an example of this so-called Eurozone bloc voting, I was told the election of Juncker was one. Can anyone supply a more convincing example?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Who could object?

The idea that Dan Hannan understands anything about trade negotiations (or any business other than self-promotion) doesn't have any evidence to support it.
    Absolutely nobody is saying Daniel Hannan is an ill informed self promoting tart.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

RobD said:

That is quite funny.

He has a horrible life.
    No but that still does not mean he lives a horrible life
  • Options

@williamglenn Indeed William. And we start from a much higher base than the Europhobes did in 1975. Both in terms of popular vote and in terms of integration that can be defended and then used as a base to move forward. ' Resistance then Reunion ' should be our Cry and Creed.

Keep dreaming. It will never happen. Once we are out that will be it. We will never rejoin.
  • Options
    The article posted by Southam by Rafael Behr makes an interesting early point on the way Ed Miliband was depicted. It didn't help that those on the very right of Labour also participated in characterising Miliband's beliefs in a similar way the right wing press did. The reality is Ed was never a full on hard leftie like Corbyn, but that didn't stop some people acting as if his premiership would spell the great doom of Britain and how he was to bring back full on socialism. In failing to engage with the Soft Left at a more appropriate level, those on the right of Labour especially only enabled the alienation and weakness they now feel within Labour. I feel had the Labour right worked with the Soft Left they would be in a much more stronger position now. Likewise, the Right (Conservatives) silly characterisations of the Soft Left have now left them in a situation where their valid criticisms of Corbyn do not reach the audience it really needs to.
  • Options

Who could object?

Absolutely nobody is saying Daniel Hannan is an ill informed self promoting tart.
    He certainly understands a hell of a lot more about democracy than either of you ever will.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

The article posted by Southam by Rafael Behr makes an interesting early point on the way Ed Miliband was depicted. It didn't help that those on the very right of Labour also participated in characterising Miliband's beliefs in a similar way the right wing press did. The reality is Ed was never a full on hard leftie like Corbyn, but that didn't stop some people acting as if his premiership would spell the great doom of Britain and how he was to bring back full on socialism. In failing to engage with the Soft Left at a more appropriate level, those on the right of Labour especially only enabled the alienation and weakness they now feel within Labour. I feel had the Labour right worked with the Soft Left they would be in a much more stronger position now. Likewise, the Right (Conservatives) silly characterisations of the Soft Left have now left them in a situation where their valid criticisms of Corbyn do not reach the audience it really needs to.

I still can't believe the Tories (and their media cheerleaders) genuinely believed Miliband's Labour was a "lurch to the left" and "quasi-Marxism" just because he said energy companies should charge more reasonable rates.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    glw said:

MP_SE2 said:

I seem to recall calling him out as a lightweight but glossy investment banker

*buffs nails*
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920
    glw said:

MP_SE2 said:

He recognises the importance of labor reforms to France. That made him by far the most sensible French candidate.
  • Options

Who could object?

He certainly understands a hell of a lot more about democracy than either of you ever will.
    No he doesn't.
  • Options
    Charles said:

glw said:

MP_SE2 said:

I seem to recall calling him out as a lightweight but glossy investment banker

*buffs nails*
    SeanT's inside information on Macron was more interesting.
  • Options
    African Americans deeply pessimistic about where country is heading, poll finds
    http://wapo.st/2xsPSIV
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

He recognises the importance of labor reforms to France. That made him by far the most sensible French candidate.

Sure, and I'm not knocking him. The mistake some people have made was to assume that his policy at home is indicative of what he might want for the EU. There's no sign that he's breaking the mould in that regard.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,916

Totally understandable.

I feel the same about my country!
  • Options

Totally understandable.

I feel the same about my country!
    :+1:
  • Options

Keep dreaming. It will never happen. Once we are out that will be it. We will never rejoin.
    I think, like in 62 and 67 we will be vetoed when we initially re-apply.
  • Options

Yet Leavers are criticized for 'not reaching out' to you.

I imagine Jacobites talked like that after 1688 and Catholics after 1558.
  • Options

Who could object?

No he doesn't.
    Well you read some of his books on the subject and point me in the direction of some of yours and we can compare notes....
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,337

Who could object?

No he doesn't.
    Well you read some of his books on the subject and point me in the direction of some of yours and we can compare notes....
    I believe Dan Brown wrote books, too...
  • Options

We won't reapply. The EU is moving in a direction unacceptable to the vast majority ofnpeople in this country including most Remainers. This will.only accelerate and become more obvious now. Those like Williamglenn who wish for a competely Federal EU including Euro membership are in a tiny minority in this country.
  • Options
  • Options

Who could object?

No he doesn't.
    Let's not. I've read enough of his stuff already. Mine is better.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Who could object?

No he doesn't.
    Not on the subject of democracy which is the point at hand.
  • Options

Who could object?

No he doesn't.
    I very much doubt that. Certainly not if your output on here is anything to go by
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Who could object?

No he doesn't.
    I just opened a preview of one of his books on Amazon and stumbled upon this sentence in the introduction: "This book tells the story of freedom - which is to say, it tells the story of the Anglosphere."

At least nobody could accuse him of not knowing his audience...
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

HYUFD said:

Pong said:

RobD said:

That is quite funny.

He has a horrible life.
    I have seen other views expressed that the invectus games only help those that are ablle to aspire. Ignoring the majority who are neglected and ignored but i don't know the truth
    Harry has rather grown on me over the years. Initially he seemed to be just another Hooray Henry, but he has become much more than just that. He genuinely seems to have found some purpose in life via his army service, and now is using that service and his fame to support a number of good causes. These games matter a lot to those involved, even if not my cup of tea, as soldiering is a physical and competitive pursuit. If it gives those wounded men back some purpose and pride, then fine by me.

I also think that his frankness about his own dark days, and willingness to discuss mental health a great role model. His relationship and possible marriage to Meghan is also very revealing about his views on racial matters. Considering that royalty is based on bloodline, this is a prosaic yet very important matter. We may have a non-white Royal very shortly, and possibly the Queen some non-white great grandchildren. The symbolic importance of that in 21st century Briton should not be understated.

Top bloke, and majestic in spirit as well as title. True nobility, and I write as a republican sympathiser.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    edited September 2017
    Danny565 said:

I still can't believe the Tories (and their media cheerleaders) genuinely believed Miliband's Labour was a "lurch to the left" and "quasi-Marxism" just because he said energy companies should charge more reasonable rates.
    Isn't it the case that the Tories and their rightwing press always portray any potential Labour government as the-end-of-civilisation-as-we-know-it? Remember the 'New Labour, New Danger' ads showing Tony Blair with devil eyes?

They have cried wolf far too often and diminished their message as a result.
  • Options

Who could object?

No he doesn't.
    I very much doubt that. Certainly not if your output on here is anything to go by
    Well you don't know as I haven't told you which books I have written.
  • Options

Definitely should we ever do so.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Who could object?

No he doesn't.
    Not sure you're quite getting the point...

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108

Who could object?

No he doesn't.
    @Recidivist

Earlier today we had a short conversation. I suggested that a parallel you had drawn between Thatcher and Corbyn was invalid. I backed this with examples and asked if you had any counter points, emphasising that the one I most often heard was not accurate so not to waste time dealing with that. You replied 'you make my point for me.' I was puzzled by this as I certainly hadn't, and asked for clarification. You then made a pretty abusive post in reply - which was liked by the egregious Nick Palmer, whose visceral loathing of me for calling him out on some of his more embarrassing past mis-statements is well known and with whom I do not deal directly any more because I consider slanging matches with him to be pointless - saying that I accuse anyone I disagree with of being wrong and therefore I was an unpleasant person and in your words 'you wouldn't want me in your cabinet.'

Leaving aside the non sequitur, and fact that obviously I would not disagree with somebody if I thought they were right, I am still at something at a loss to know why you behaved as you did. You made an inaccurate parallel followed by a strange comment and then got personal. I just wondered why you had done this. And indeed whether you wanted to apologise for it.

It's not a problem either way - your opinion is frankly a matter of indifference to me. However this site has been getting quite spiteful at times lately and it would be a shame if you were to join in.
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Who could object?

No he doesn't.
    I just opened a preview of one of his books on Amazon and stumbled upon this sentence in the introduction: "This book tells the story of freedom - which is to say, it tells the story of the Anglosphere."

At least nobody could accuse him of not knowing his audience...
    It's a mostly good read, though even as someone persuaded to leave his switch from 'we are so awesome we can so anything' vibe to ' but we are not able to overcome and improve a byzantine bureaucracy,' to be a bit jarring.
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Isn't it the case that the Tories and their rightwing press always portray any potential Labour government as the-end-of-civilisation-as-we-know-it? Remember the 'New Labour, New Danger' ads showing Tony Blair with devil eyes?

Its the mirror of 'vote Conservative and the NHS will be closed down'.

I imagine it keeps the cheerleaders happy.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    That appears to have been a cock up in every way.

I'll get my coat...
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899

Danny565 said:

Yes, but when a real threat and danger like Corbyn comes along the attack lines don't work so well...
  • Options
    Nigelb said:
    The way a lot of American Conservatives talk about this man, you'd think he was God. Also that clip of him linked talking about equality, and then seeing his dissent in that case. JFC you can't make it up.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

That appears to have been a cock up in every way.

I'll get my coat...
    Is that better or worse than a balls up?
  • Options
    As with most Johnson positions I assume he wrote up an opposite view, purely as an intellectual exercise of course, before deciding on this one only on its merits and with no thought of politics.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Yes, but when a real threat and danger like Corbyn comes along the attack lines don't work so well...
    Our politicians deal in bribes and fear rather than rational discussion based on knowledge.

Bad politics drives out the good.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

twitter.com/AllieHBNews/status/913144217974837248

The Sun stokes up some trouble.

I remember hearing a story that one of the Aussie batsman started to sledge him in a big way and another Aussie player came across and said you don't want to do that...Why?...Because when he says he if he fucking get you, he absolutely means it and not by bowling bouncers.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Danny565 said:

Our politicians deal in bribes and fear rather than rational discussion based on knowledge.

Bad politics drives out the good.
    Agreed.
  • Options

Nigelb said:
    The way a lot of American Conservatives talk about this man, you'd think he was God. Also that clip of him linked talking about equality, and then seeing his dissent in that case. JFC you can't make it up.
    Sounds remarkable in the face of blatant and extreme racism in the jury making the judgement seem unsound, I wonder at the legalities the dissenters feel apply to mean that is irrelevant.
This discussion has been closed.