Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In head-to-heads Johnson comfortably beats main contenders in

Comments

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

That was imposed by Heath's Tory Government as a result of problems in the Coal industry. Are you seriously suggesting that private sector industries were unaffected by the 3 Day Week?

I am suggesting that the nationalised utilities were hardly 'performing quite well'. This is of course unsurprising: nationalised industries inevitably tend to become captured by producer interests, since the consumer has no say in the matter and politicians will always be very tempted to deal with short-terms problems by buying off the producer interests with taxpayers' money.
    There was no great public demand to privatise the Gas, Water and Electricity industries which were generally making significant contributions to the Treasury coffers. It was done for entirely ideological reasons. Well others are entitled to play that game!
    It was done for the entirely ideological reasons that Conservatives believe in boosting efficiency, cutting costs, and improving customer service. The policy has proved so successful that it was embraced by Labour in government and has been copied all over the world:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_privatizations

Of course there is no guarantee that we won't go back to the bad old ways; the fact that the leader of the opposition is an unreconstructed 1970s hard-left extremist suggests that it's by no means impossible for the progress to be reversed.
    The last Labour Government was well to the right of the postwar Tory Governments which preceded Thatcher - and which all took the view that the public interest was best served by such utilities remaining in the public sector. The privatised successors have now fallen out of favour with the general public , and it is hardly surprising that so many are receptive to the idea of returning them to state control rather than continuing to run them in the interests of a narrow group of shareholders.
  • Options
    kle4 said:
    No idea. Frankly, who cares at this stage. There'll be another leader along in a few months.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @DPJHodges: *BREAKING* Henry Bolton is STILL Ukip leader. [As of 16.02]
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,625

kle4 said:
    No idea. Frankly, who cares at this stage. There'll be another leader along in a few months.
    I see his wikipedia page says his wife gave birth to their second child on a high speed train at St Pancras, that might win him some votes.
  • Options

UKIP leader announced. Henry Bolton.

Henry Bolton. An ex-Lib Dem apparently.
    How did a Lib Dem find their way into UKIP?
  • Options

Well that's a disappointing start to the weekend, I wanted one of the Kipper loonies to win.

The lunatics aren't taking over the asylum.
  • Options

How did a Lib Dem find their way into UKIP?
    It happens more often than you'd think. If nothing else don't forget how many LDs voted to Leave in 2016.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Well that's a disappointing start to the weekend, I wanted one of the Kipper loonies to win.

The loons cannot always win, TSE.
    I know, but I still maintain Alastair's piece on the UKIP runners and riders was the best piece PB has ever published.

He sent it to me to upload on to the PB server, and I was crying and bursting out laughing when I was reading it.

My reaction, no, he's making that up, no Alastair's fallen for a hoax, then I googled it, and they were all true.
  • Options

UKIP have probably chosen the right candidate, if he can find a message to articulate. Henry Bolton has a back story that looks hard to mock.

Unless it is as real as Professor Nutall's...

• Options
    Interesting choice of photo on the BBC's article on Bolton's win. I'm sure he's actually waving, but still...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41447568
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Why are you disappointed, Mr Eagles?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,560
    edited September 2017

The ridiculous artificial privatised electricity 'market' we have now penalises those without the wherewithal to be switching supplier every year, diminishes our national productivity because of the effort wasted enouraging and administering switching, and in the main syphons off any profits abroad. A complete farce in pursuit of neoliberal dogma!

Evidence?
    1. Some examples: my mother and my father-in-law are both in their 80s, neither have internet access and are consequently shut out of the route to the best deals. Both unsurprisingly are on standard rates subsidising the many of us who can and do switch. They are not untypical; very few of the more vulnerable in society will be working this particular system to good effect. If everybody was of course there would be no upside for those of who can and do switch regularly.

2. The administration of switching - the call-centres, web sites, advertising (oh and don't forget Ofgem!) - add nothing to the efficient production and delivery of electricity and indeed are an unnecessary overhead. As a result, operating costs are continuing to increase as a proportion of bills (see below).
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/data-portal/retail-market-indicators#thumbchart-c7770745751913637-n84514

3. Of the UK 'big six' energy companies, four are non-uk owned: EDF Energy (owned by French firm EDF), npower (owned by German firm innogy), E.ON UK (German-owned), Scottish Power (Spanish-owned); only British Gas and Scottish & Southern are UK owned. The following article highlights how the profits leave the UK.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/revealed-how-the-world-gets-rich-from-privatising-british-public-services-9874048.html

So my question is, how has electricity privatisation and the creation of a 'market' helped the general UK population at large?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, be careful for what you wish. The far left's riding high in British politics. Nothing to say the far right couldn't do the same.

Dr. Spyn, in medieval times, people were named 'of X' based on their birthplace. Hence, John of Gaunt undsoweiter.
  • Options

Interesting choice of photo on the BBC's article on Bolton's win. I'm sure he's actually waving, but still...

I think we've found the picture that PB will use on all future Henry Bolton/UKIP threads.
  • Options
    If I ram my hand in a toaster that does not mean that toasting things is a bad idea, it means I should take my hand out of the damn toaster and insert some bread.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,902

Pulpstar said:

TOPPING said:

Good afternoon, everyone.

Don't you start Morris

:smile:
    I thought that Mr D was being commendably gender inclusive. None of this "ladies and gentlemen" nonsense.
    I did an internal work email earlier, had to think about the address as it was to one woman and 10 men. I started "Dear Engineers" !
    Fellow Engineers - does that work?
    Not really as I'm not an engineer !
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:
    I see his wikipedia page says his wife gave birth to their second child on a high speed train at St Pancras, that might win him some votes.
    Hope she was able to get a seat. Jezza missed a trick there.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    edited September 2017
    Scott_P said:

If even political junkies have not heard of him how many of the public will have?

Mind you he should keep Farage and Banks on board for now unlike Waters
  • Options
    Am I right in thinking Mr Bolton previous worked for the EU and has an EU national wife? He has one upped Nige. UKIP members certainly are an interesting bunch.
  • Options
    PClipp said:

If Miss Waters won, then UKIP splits and that's great for PB threads.

If one of the other loonies won, then we'd have another another UKIP leadership race in a few months, which is great for PB/the betting angle.

There's only so many threads I can write about AV, we need some variety, His Excellency Professor Sir Paul Nuttal, MC, DSO, KCVO, provided that.
  • Options
    Ex military, ex police, OBE.

Boxes indeed checked and ticked.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287

The ridiculous artificial privatised electricity 'market' we have now penalises those without the wherewithal to be switching supplier every year, diminishes our national productivity because of the effort wasted enouraging and administering switching, and in the main syphons off any profits abroad. A complete farce in pursuit of neoliberal dogma!

Evidence?
    1. Some examples: my mother and my father-in-law are both in their 80s, neither have internet access and are consequently shut out of the route to the best deals. Both unsurprisingly are on standard rates subsidising the many of us who can and do switch. They are not untypical; very few of the more vulnerable in society will be working this particular system to good effect. If everybody was of course there would be no upside for those of who can and do switch regularly.

2. The administration of switching - the call-centres, web sites, advertising (oh and don't forget Ofgem!) - add nothing to the efficient production and delivery of electricity and indeed are an unnecessary overhead. As a result, operating costs are continuing to increase as a proportion of bills (see below).
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/data-portal/retail-market-indicators#thumbchart-c7770745751913637-n84514
    3. Of the UK 'big six' energy companies, four are non-uk owned: EDF Energy (owned by French firm EDF), npower (owned by German firm innogy), E.ON UK (German-owned), Scottish Power (Spanish-owned); only British Gas and Scottish & Southern are UK owned. The following article highlights how the profits leave the UK.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/revealed-how-the-world-gets-rich-from-privatising-british-public-services-9874048.html

So my question is, how has electricity privatisation and the creation of a 'market' helped the general UK population at large?
    The service from the nationalised electricity groups was too infused with producer interests running through its veins. Privatisation shifted the corporate culture largely for the better.
  • Options

Am I right in thinking Mr Bolton previous worked for the EU and has an EU national wife? He has one upped Nige. UKIP members certainly are an interesting bunch.

Well a former LD is certainly not what most people expect when they think UKIP, perhaps their image will change. When the campaign came up there was some surprise at my offices that something like half the leadership candidates were gay.
  • Options

PClipp said:

If one of the other loonies won, then we'd have another another UKIP leadership race in a few months, which is great for PB/the betting angle.

There's only so many threads I can write about AV, we need some variety, His Excellency Professor Sir Paul Nuttal, MC, DSO, KCVO, provided that.
    Maybe he'll get drunk while celebrating and say something really stupid, don't give up hoping.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    edited September 2017
    Mr. kle4, gay Kippers could've had a nice slogan going: "Out and proud!" :p
  • Options

Just switched on tv and heard UKIP annouce the results and then Henry Bolton's acceptance speech

Never heard of him and do not know anything about him but he seems rather bland
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

That was imposed by Heath's Tory Government as a result of problems in the Coal industry. Are you seriously suggesting that private sector industries were unaffected by the 3 Day Week?

I am suggesting that the nationalised utilities were hardly 'performing quite well'. This is of course unsurprising: nationalised industries inevitably tend to become captured by producer interests, since the consumer has no say in the matter and politicians will always be very tempted to deal with short-terms problems by buying off the producer interests with taxpayers' money.
    There was no great public demand to privatise the Gas, Water and Electricity industries which were generally making significant contributions to the Treasury coffers. It was done for entirely ideological reasons. Well others are entitled to play that game!
    It was done for the entirely ideological reasons that Conservatives believe in boosting efficiency, cutting costs, and improving customer service. The policy has proved so successful that it was embraced by Labour in government and has been copied all over the world:

Of course there is no guarantee that we won't go back to the bad old ways; the fact that the leader of the opposition is an unreconstructed 1970s hard-left extremist suggests that it's by no means impossible for the progress to be reversed.
    The last Labour Government was well to the right of the postwar Tory Governments which preceded Thatcher - and which all took the view that the public interest was best served by such utilities remaining in the public sector. The privatised successors have now fallen out of favour with the general public , and it is hardly surprising that so many are receptive to the idea of returning them to state control rather than continuing to run them in the interests of a narrow group of shareholders.
    And who manages your pension funds?
  • Options
    He's a former Lib Dem candidate who stood against Phil Hammond in 2005, he switched to UKIP in 2014 because he wanted to be in a party where you could say what you thought.
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    So after all that, UKIP have elected a leader who seems more sane and qualified to be PM than Labour. We live in strange times.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,918
    edited September 2017
    A public information announcement for any Bladerunner fans on here.

Do not accidently read the Bladerunner 2049 review in the Daily Telegraph this afternoon. It is a brilliant review which gives me huge hope for the film but it is absolutely packed full of significant spoilers.

The reviewer gives it 5 stars and the headline is:

"Harrison Ford is extraordinary in the most spectacular, provocative blockbuster of our time"

Needless to say I can't wait to see it next week.

I won't post a link as it is easy to find if you don't mind the spoilers.

Oh and the same goes with varying degrees for the Guardian and Independent who both also give it 5 stars.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

PClipp said:

Maybe he'll get drunk while celebrating and say something really stupid, don't give up hoping.
    He's a former Hussar, those buggers can drink like no tomorrow.

He's got a lot of military medals and an OBE, he's going to be very hard to attack in the usual way people attacked Kippers
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940

He's a former Lib Dem candidate who stood against Phil Hammond in 2005, he switched to UKIP in 2014 because he wanted to be in a party where you could say what you thought.

He could help with those key LD UKIP swing voters then!
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

And who manages your pension funds?
    Some coked up tosser that autobuys a tracker for 1% of my retirement pot per year ?
  • Options
    Waters broken unexpectedly.

Both the birth on the train and today's result.
  • Options

Good back story - what did he get an OBE for
  • Options

Cannibalistic Kippers could form a grouping called Purple People Eaters.

No doubt the discussions on halal meat would prove lively.
  • Options

By reducing costs, increasing efficiency and improving customer service. Why else would the model have been copied so extensively across the world?

The only one of your points which has any merit is the first one, where I agree the model isn't working as well as it should. However, the regulator is addressing that.

As for the other points: of course the administration of switching adds something; it adds price competition. That's kinda the idea: competition drives down prices.

Why on earth does it matter who owns the various companies in our globalised world? Is it a disgrace that an element of US airline passenger's fares are being 'creamed off' to provide profits for Rolls Royce, or their medical costs are contributing to the profits of Astra Zeneca and GSK?
  • Options

Do not accidently read the Bladerunner 2049 review in the Daily Telegraph this afternoon. It is a brilliant review which gives me huge hope for the film but it is absolutely packed full of significant spoilers.

"Harrison Ford is extraordinary in the most spectacular, provocative blockbuster of our time"

Oh and the same goes with varying degrees for the Guardian and Independent who both also give it 5 stars.

One of the guys on scifi forums I visit has seen it, his review was

'Creamed my boxers, this is going to win every Oscar going if there's any justice'
  • Options

He was awarded the OBE in the 2013 New Year Honours "for services to international security and stabilisation" as Stabilisation Team Leader, Provincial Reconstruction Team, in Helmand Province, Afghanistan.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Guido's 10 key facts on Henry Bolton.

https://order-order.com/2017/09/29/10-things-know-henry-bolton/

Is there a book on when Waters will be kicked out?
  • Options

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

He's got a lot of military medals and an OBE, he's going to be very hard to attack in the usual way people attacked Kippers
    Sounds like the Guardian are going to be most disappointed. It is normally easy column inches for them, along with the evils of the Daily Mail.
  • Options

Switching from the LDs.

Now be fair, cannibalistic Kippers make up barely 10% of the total membership. It does unfortunately explain why they lost all those seats in the locals.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,842
    Scott_P said:

That was 20 minutes ago, is he stil leader?

Seems like a nice chap by the way, way better than one or two of the alternatives.
  • Options

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

Sounds like the Guardian are going to be most disappointed. It is normally easy column inches for them, along with the evils of the Daily Mail.
    This will keep them interested.

He says left-wing extremists like Antifa are as bad as the BNP and EDL
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Guido's 10 key facts on Henry Bolton.

https://order-order.com/2017/09/29/10-things-know-henry-bolton/

Is there a book on when Walters will be kicked out?

He says Islam is a “problem“ and that left-wing extremists like Antifa are as bad as the BNP and EDL

5..4..3..2..1..useful suspects stated comparing those views to Trump.

• Options

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

You sound disappointed.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2017

This will keep them interested.

He says left-wing extremists like Antifa are as bad as the BNP and EDL

He says Islam is a “problem“ and that left-wing extremists like Antifa are as bad as the BNP and EDL

5..4..3..2..1..useful suspects stated comparing those views to Trump.

Great minds....
  • Options

• Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,249
    edited September 2017

He was awarded the OBE in the 2013 New Year Honours "for services to international security and stabilisation" as Stabilisation Team Leader, Provincial Reconstruction Team, in Helmand Province, Afghanistan.
    Interesting and possibly a good choice. While he seemed bland he did emphasize being British and we are not to be ruled from a foreign capital.

That will resonate
  • Options
    Mr. Tyndall, not into Bladerunner but I rather dislike news/reviews which are laden with unmarked spoilers. It's just obnoxious.

Mr. Meeks, if Bolton were a former American soldier he could be called Purple Heart.
  • Options

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

You sound disappointed.
    I wanted Jonathan Rees-Evans.

He would have been known as Gay donkey raped my horse man in all PB thread headers.
  • Options

'Creamed my boxers, this is going to win every Oscar going if there's any justice'
    What I am pleased about is that even the non Sci Fi fans are raving about it. Seeing words like 'masterpiece' being used is superb.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Switching from the LDs.

Now be fair, cannibalistic Kippers make up barely 10% of the total membership. It does unfortunately explain why they lost all those seats in the locals.
    Was it really only 12,915 votes cast in the UKIP election (according to BBC)? Has their membership fallen off a cliff or did a lot of them have leadership election fatigue?
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

I will have to re-watch my 1982 version (Director's Cut!!) then. If any of you are in Manchester then the AMC Cinema on Deansgate (now an Odeon I think) is only £7 per ticket and I am going to Meerkat-movie it with friends.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692

Good for him. Useful training for stabilising UKIP although I suspect he will find Al Qaeda easier to deal with.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Switching from the LDs.

Was it really only 12,915 votes cast in the UKIP election (according to BBC)? Has their membership fallen off a cliff or did a lot of them have leadership election fatigue?
    The numbers did seem surprisingly small
  • Options

Adam Savage managed to do a half hour podcast on how brilliant the movie was, without mentioning anything about characters or plot (he says they made everyone at his LA preview sign an NDA).
    http://www.tested.com/art/movies/786869-blade-runner-2049-spoilerfree-cast-still-untitled-adam-savage-project-92617/
  • Options

I will have to re-watch my 1982 version (Director's Cut!!) then. If any of you are in Manchester then the AMC Cinema on Deansgate (now an Odeon I think) is only £7 per ticket and I am going to Meerkat-movie it with friends.
    Go and see it at the old Odeon, which is now a Vue if you're a Manc, and see it in IMAX.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Adam Savage managed to do a half hour podcast on how brilliant the movie was, without mentioning anything about characters or plot (he says they made everyone at his LA preview sign an NDA).
    http://www.tested.com/art/movies/786869-blade-runner-2049-spoilerfree-cast-still-untitled-adam-savage-project-92617/
    NDAs are a waste of time with fans, a few people went to see the Justice League movie, and mentioned that a certain character wasn't in it.
  • Options
    Now I'm confused. The train was going to St Pancras but his daughter is called Victoria!?!

I much prefer the Lee Nelson gag about doing a Posh & Becks and naming his son Stairwell.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Switching from the LDs.

The numbers did seem surprisingly small
    I would be interested to know how many members like me have left once the referendum was won. UKIP was only ever a flag of convenience for pressurising the other parties into the vote.
  • Options
    Interesting vox pop on leavers on Channel 4 last night. Thoughtful if not especially happy bunch of people. The false premises behind the Leave campaign are going to unwind very painfully.

Dan Hannan his usual disingenuous self.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

NDAs are a waste of time with fans, a few people went to see the Justice League movie, and mentioned that a certain character wasn't in it.
    They’re not a waste of time with journalists though. Rather like with embargoed polls, any individual only usually messes up once.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Go and see it at the old Odeon, which is now a Vue if you're a Manc, and see it in IMAX.
    Where is that? At the Printworks? It is 3D at the ex-AMC and IMAX at the Trafford Centre is £16 per seat
  • Options

Mr. Tyndall, not into Bladerunner but I rather dislike news/reviews which are laden with unmarked spoilers. It's just obnoxious.

Mr. Meeks, if Bolton were a former American soldier he could be called Purple Heart.

The trailers shown at the cinema are often just as bad. Thankfully I have avoided seeing any for Bladerunner 2049 but then maybe there haven't been any (which could be an extreme case of the rule that the length of a trailer is inversely proprtional to the quality of the film).
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,285
    edited September 2017
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

They’re not a waste of time with journalists though. Rather like with embargoed polls, any individual only usually messes up once.
    I messed up once, they forgave me.

Edit - Actually it was twice, but the second time was the fault of the pollster.
  • Options

Where is that? At the Printworks? It is 3D at the ex-AMC and IMAX at the Trafford Centre is £16 per seat
    Yup.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Interesting vox pop on leavers on Channel 4 last night. Thoughtful if not especially happy bunch of people. The false premises behind the Leave campaign are going to unwind very painfully.

Wakefielders are a confused bunch politically - just ask @David_Herdson.
  • Options

Now I'm confused. The train was going to St Pancras but his daughter is called Victoria!?!

I much prefer the Lee Nelson gag about doing a Posh & Becks and naming his son Stairwell.

Bonnet was the version I heard.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Yup.
    It is only 2D IMAX at the Printworks. Second rate stuff Mr Eagles!!!!! I am going to watch it in 3D for half the price!

We will get the Metro in, dodge past the lost-looking political groupies and followers, bob into the cinema and splurge on chocolates and icecream. Oh yeah!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    edited September 2017
    Mr. Pointer, that's true. I don't go to the cinema much but fairly often see trailers ahead of Youtube videos.

Edited extra bit: sounds like that should be pronounced 'Bonn-ey' :p
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    A disappointingly sensible choice by UKIP! And yes there is a large LD-UKIP swing contingent out there. Not those wedded to EU issues (there's obviously no meeting of minds on policy) but for those looking for an anti-establishment, people before party approach and fed up with the big two, it's a surprisingly large group in my experience.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,285
    edited September 2017

Yup.
    It is only 2D IMAX at the Printworks. Second rate stuff Mr Eagles!!!!! I am going to watch it in 3D for half the price!
    I'm lucky I live near the best cinema in the country, we get 3D IMAX and 3D 4DX
  • Options

I once wrote a work report which began

'Like getting your girlfriend pregnant on your pull out sofa there's a great sense of irony about...'

I wonder if I can begin a PB header like that.
  • Options

I once wrote a work report which began

'Like getting your girlfriend pregnant on your pull out sofa there's a great sense of irony about...'

I wonder if I can begin a PB header like that.
    LOL, Alanis Morisette would have been proud of that line!
  • Options

Yup.
    I'm lucky I live near the best cinema in the country, we get 3D IMAX and 3D 4DX
    I just realised - it is out the week after the conference so I do not have to dodge the Tories and the Labour counter-protesters that would otherwise be involved in running street battles and spitting contests.
  • Options
    Mrs C, certainly explains your phlegmatic attitude.
  • Options
    This is a weird story about attacks (including sonic attacks) on the US embassy in Cuba:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41446697
  • Options
    Has anyone seen the full UKIP results?

According to the Guardian, Peter Whittle came a surprise fifth place out of seven.
  • Options

Mrs C, certainly explains your phlegmatic attitude.

:)
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

The interesting thing is they are neither changing their minds on their vote, nor accepting things don't always work out as promised. Basically they are saying to the Leave politicians, you promised extra money for the NHS, more immigration from the Commonwealth, an easy transition to our own laws - what are you doing about it? Good on them, I say. If politicians campaign on taking back control, excuses on not doing stuff are not going to fly.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

This is a weird story about attacks (including sonic attacks) on the US embassy in Cuba:

Something very weird is going on there. People are getting permanent damage after being located in that building.

Edit - Oh it says now that it has been occurring in other locations, such as hotels.

I highly doubt the Cubans have developed some highly sophisticated sonic weaponry. The Russians could I guess.
  • Options

Evidence?

I agree with Ben on this. Electricity worked very well as a nationalised industry, with a national grid and then each region handling the local supplies.

Privatisation really was a triumph of ideology over benefit.

• Options

Haven't been around the site much recently.. is anyone organising a PB get together at CPC17 in Manchester? Is OGH going?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

The interesting thing is they are neither changing their minds on their vote, nor accepting things don't always work out as promised. Basically they are saying to the Leave politicians, you promised extra money for the NHS, more immigration from the Commonwealth, an easy transition to our own laws - what are you doing about it? Good on them, I say. If politicians campaign on taking back control, excuses on not doing stuff are not going to fly.

Voters ain't gonna blame themselves for the consequences of their choices, that's for sure.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Oh, and that's the other thing about Boris. He will never live down the £350m.
  • Options

Something very weird is going on there. People are getting permanent damage after being located in that building.

Edit - Oh it says now that it has been occurring in other locations, such as hotels.

I highly doubt the Cubans have developed some highly sophisticated sonic weaponry. The Russians could I guess.
    The Buena Vista Social Club might be rehearsing next door

In the meantime, I will get my hat and coat :)
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483

According to the Guardian, Peter Whittle came a surprise fifth place out of seven.

Henry Bolton 3894 - 29.9%

Anne-Marie Waters 2775 - 21.3%

David Kurten 2201 - 17%

John Rees- Evans 2021 - 15.6%

Peter Whittle 1413 - 10.9%

Jane Collins 566 - 4,4%

Dunno what no hoper Aidan Powlesland got.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,940

Very strange. Full results are not even on their website. Maybe they are embarrassed at the low membership/ turnout? Speculation only, mind.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    DeClare said:

David Kurten 2201 - 17%

Jane Collins 566 - 4,4%

I voted for Jane Collins, pleased Waters didn't win.
  • Options
    @DeClare - Thanks
  • Options

It is a really weird one, I came across this story a couple of weeks ago. Almost certainly Russian involvement, almost no-one else with the ability to do it (and I doubt the UK or the Israelis are doing it).
    https://news.slashdot.org/story/17/09/15/2126226/mystery-of-sonic-weapon-attacks-at-us-embassy-in-cuba-deepens
  • Options
    DeClareDeClare Posts: 483
    tlg86 said:

DeClare said:

David Kurten 2201 - 17%

Jane Collins 566 - 4,4%

I voted for Jane Collins, pleased Waters didn't win.
    Yes I voted for her too, disappointed she did so badly, but also relieved AMW didn't win, I was all set to resign if she did and so was everyone on my committee where I'm secretary of UKIPs 7th largest branch.
    I hope this Henry Bolton can now provide a bit of stability.
  • Options

FF43 said:

Voters ain't gonna blame themselves for the consequences of their choices, that's for sure.
    Hear-hear!
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    DeClare said:

David Kurten 2201 - 17%

Jane Collins 566 - 4,4%

That will be 2775 additional members leaving shortly...
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

By reducing costs, increasing efficiency and improving customer service. Why else would the model have been copied so extensively across the world?

The only one of your points which has any merit is the first one, where I agree the model isn't working as well as it should. However, the regulator is addressing that.

As for the other points: of course the administration of switching adds something; it adds price competition. That's kinda the idea: competition drives down prices.

Why on earth does it matter who owns the various companies in our globalised world? Is it a disgrace that an element of US airline passenger's fares are being 'creamed off' to provide profits for Rolls Royce, or their medical costs are contributing to the profits of Astra Zeneca and GSK?
    To be honest, it doesn't matter a damn, so long as they play by the rules. However, once we take back control from those "nasty foreigners" then the temptation will be for all utilities and media companies to be brought back under UK citizens and tax payer control.
  • Options

DeClare said:

David Kurten 2201 - 17%

Jane Collins 566 - 4,4%

That will be 2775 additional members leaving shortly...
    If not sure they’ll be too badly missed by the rest of the party.
  • Options
    FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

Surely an end to "The EU says we have to do X" is one positive aspect of Brexit everyone can get behind?
  • Options
    Mr. Sandpit, Russia certainly seems to have a sharp view of conducting business.

However, it can't be denied Putin has increased his country's prestige and power on the global stage. Not that that legitimises a dubious tactic.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    chrisoxon said:

FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

Surely an end to "The EU says we have to do X" is one positive aspect of Brexit everyone can get behind?
    Not really, there's thousands of busybodies in Whitehall and our town halls to fill the gap in telling us what to do left by the EU. The Khan edict on woodburners being a good example of a typical bit of EUery from a non EU source.
This discussion has been closed.