Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » In head-to-heads Johnson comfortably beats main contenders in

12346»

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

justin124 said:

...Gas , Electricity and Water performed pretty well in the public sector. ...

I must have imagined sitting in the dark three days a week.
    Leaving a tory in the dark for three days? I think that’d count as working pretty well for justin :D
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

chrisoxon said:

FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

FF43 said:

Interesting vox pop on leavers on Channel 4 last night. Thoughtful if not especially happy bunch of people. The false premises behind the Leave campaign are going to unwind very painfully.

Dan Hannan his usual disingenuous self.

Wakefielders are a confused bunch politically - just ask @David_Herdson.
    The interesting thing is they are neither changing their minds on their vote, nor accepting things don't always work out as promised. Basically they are saying to the Leave politicians, you promised extra money for the NHS, more immigration from the Commonwealth, an easy transition to our own laws - what are you doing about it? Good on them, I say. If politicians campaign on taking back control, excuses on not doing stuff are not going to fly.
    Surely an end to "The EU says we have to do X" is one positive aspect of Brexit everyone can get behind?
    Not really, there's thousands of busybodies in Whitehall and our town halls to fill the gap in telling us what to do left by the EU. The Khan edict on woodburners being a good example of a typical bit of EUery from a non EU source.
    I'm not talking about ending everything that the EU has done. I'm talking about removing the ability of politicians to blame the EU for every unpopular decision, whether it is responsible for it or not. It's about a return to accountability.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Now I'm confused. The train was going to St Pancras but his daughter is called Victoria!?!

I much prefer the Lee Nelson gag about doing a Posh & Becks and naming his son Stairwell.

Bonnet was the version I heard.
    I have always wondered about people named Otis.
  • Options

FF43 said:

The interesting thing is they are neither changing their minds on their vote, nor accepting things don't always work out as promised. Basically they are saying to the Leave politicians, you promised extra money for the NHS, more immigration from the Commonwealth, an easy transition to our own laws - what are you doing about it? Good on them, I say. If politicians campaign on taking back control, excuses on not doing stuff are not going to fly.

Voters ain't gonna blame themselves for the consequences of their choices, that's for sure.
    Hear-hear!
    And hear-hear with gold plate and diamonds on. The politicians lie to the electorate which stupidly buys the lies. And neither are grown-up enough to admit to deceit and stupidity.

We have the politicians we deserve, and the politicians have the public they deserve.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

The ridiculous artificial privatised electricity 'market' we have now penalises those without the wherewithal to be switching supplier every year, diminishes our national productivity because of the effort wasted enouraging and administering switching, and in the main syphons off any profits abroad. A complete farce in pursuit of neoliberal dogma!

Evidence?
    1. Some examples: my mother and my father-in-law are both in their 80s, neither have internet access and are consequently shut out of the route to the best deals. Both unsurprisingly are on standard rates subsidising the many of us who can and do switch. They are not untypical; very few of the more vulnerable in society will be working this particular system to good effect. If everybody was of course there would be no upside for those of who can and do switch regularly.

2. The administration of switching - the call-centres, web sites, advertising (oh and don't forget Ofgem!) - add nothing to the efficient production and delivery of electricity and indeed are an unnecessary overhead. As a result, operating costs are continuing to increase as a proportion of bills (see below).
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/data-portal/retail-market-indicators#thumbchart-c7770745751913637-n84514

3. Of the UK 'big six' energy companies, four are non-uk owned: EDF Energy (owned by French firm EDF), npower (owned by German firm innogy), E.ON UK (German-owned), Scottish Power (Spanish-owned); only British Gas and Scottish & Southern are UK owned. The following article highlights how the profits leave the UK.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/revealed-how-the-world-gets-rich-from-privatising-british-public-services-9874048.html

So my question is, how has electricity privatisation and the creation of a 'market' helped the general UK population at large?
    On point 2, no idea why switching takes so long.
    All you need is are the switch point meter readings (You can interpolate if exact date values aren't given), then the balancing debit or credit to the account. Done, over.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288

dr_spyn said:

Now I'm confused. The train was going to St Pancras but his daughter is called Victoria!?!

I much prefer the Lee Nelson gag about doing a Posh & Becks and naming his son Stairwell.

+1.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745

FF43 said:

Voters ain't gonna blame themselves for the consequences of their choices, that's for sure.
    Hear-hear!
    And hear-hear with gold plate and diamonds on. The politicians lie to the electorate which stupidly buys the lies. And neither are grown-up enough to admit to deceit and stupidity.

We have the politicians we deserve, and the politicians have the public they deserve.
    Fact
  • Options
    I would not describe a margin of 46% over 39% for Davis as being "comfortable" for Johnson.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    rcs1000 said:
    $29bn so far, not bad. About half way to what the Deepwater Horizon accident cost BP.

Hopefully a few more to end up in jail this time though, as the transgression was deliberate and premeditated.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

The ridiculous artificial privatised electricity 'market' we have now penalises those without the wherewithal to be switching supplier every year, diminishes our national productivity because of the effort wasted enouraging and administering switching, and in the main syphons off any profits abroad. A complete farce in pursuit of neoliberal dogma!

Evidence?
    1. Some examples: my mother and my father-in-law are both in their 80s, neither have internet access and are consequently shut out of the route to the best deals. Both unsurprisingly are on standard rates subsidising the many of us who can and do switch. They are not untypical; very few of the more vulnerable in society will be working this particular system to good effect. If everybody was of course there would be no upside for those of who can and do switch regularly.

2. The administration of switching - the call-centres, web sites, advertising (oh and don't forget Ofgem!) - add nothing to the efficient production and delivery of electricity and indeed are an unnecessary overhead. As a result, operating costs are continuing to increase as a proportion of bills (see below).
    https://www.ofgem.gov.uk/data-portal/retail-market-indicators#thumbchart-c7770745751913637-n84514

3. Of the UK 'big six' energy companies, four are non-uk owned: EDF Energy (owned by French firm EDF), npower (owned by German firm innogy), E.ON UK (German-owned), Scottish Power (Spanish-owned); only British Gas and Scottish & Southern are UK owned. The following article highlights how the profits leave the UK.
    http://www.independent.co.uk/news/business/news/revealed-how-the-world-gets-rich-from-privatising-british-public-services-9874048.html

So my question is, how has electricity privatisation and the creation of a 'market' helped the general UK population at large?
    But what does the shareholder list of E.On look like?

It's a bit simplistic to think that it's foreign and that British Gas is not. It's entirely possible the British pensioner is more exposed to the German firm.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    18 days to go to the next UKIP leadership election.
  • Options
    Repair costs for the Elizabeth Tower in the Palace of Westminster have now doubled to an estimated £61m, parliamentary authorities have said.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited September 2017

Repair costs for the Elizabeth Tower in the Palace of Westminster have now doubled to an estimated £61m, parliamentary authorities have said.

Time for the tories to shake the magic money tree.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Labour would have just let it collapse or something?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Evidence?

Robert

Do you have the current account balances of the G7 to hand ?

I find trading economics a bit vague.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

18 days to go to the next UKIP leadership election.

EPL sponsored by UKIP :lol:
  • Options
    RobD said:

Pong said:

I am sure in corbyistan it will be torn down as it is a symbol of oppression by the elite.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,973
    HHemmelig said:

FPT-

Salmond's two constituencies were next door to each other, and indeed had a small overlap IIRC. Davidson's problem is that if she is to be installed as an MP there is nowhere in Scotland where a by-election could realistically be engineered and the Tories would have a 90% plus chance of holding the seat. That would mean a safe seat having to be found for her somewhere in middle England, where an ageing centrist incumbent is willing to make way (incidentally I could envisage my own MP Soames in Mid Sussex making way for her in return for a peerage). But that would reflect exceptionally badly on both the Scottish Tories and Davidson herself....and of course there's no guarantee either of winning the by-election or the leadership contest. I don't think there's any realistic way around Davidson stepping down as an MSP and standing as an MP at the next GE.

If she did they would be getting a prize turkey. Useless windbag.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    RobD said:

Pong said:

Dunno.

My approach would be to move parliament to stoke/sheffield/glasgow - or somewhere - and let the private sector do its thing with Westminster on a 50 year lease.

Most legislation can be done effectively, remotely, openly (and securely) by wiki.

The savings - especially in security costs - would be huge.
  • Options
    Its interesting that over 20% of people want to nationalise the car factories.

Considering how successful the UK's car factories have been for the last decade and what the memory of British Leyland is that does suggest that 20% of people would like to nationalise EVERYTHING.

And I wonder where these 20% are socioeconomically - public sector workers ? the highly deprived ? the under-intelligent ?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Wow. How are they going to find the extra money.
  • Options
    Pong said:

It's all going to the EU, remember?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Perhaps by not sending so much to Eastern Europe?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    RobD said:

Jonathan said:

Ask DUP to pay for it, they are flush
  • Options

Robert

Do you have the current account balances of the G7 to hand ?

I find trading economics a bit vague.

As a % of GDP?
  • Options

Considering how successful the UK's car factories have been for the last decade and what the memory of British Leyland is that does suggest that 20% of people would like to nationalise EVERYTHING.

And I wonder where these 20% are socioeconomically - public sector workers ? the highly deprived ? the under-intelligent ?

I would guess former rover workers are probably still a tad pissed.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    rcs1000 said:
    But not the fines. So no big deal really. They don't take corporate malpractice seriously when it is committed by a German company. Just another form of protectionism I guess.
  • Options
    This is for 2016 from the World Bank:
    Germany     8.3
    Japan 3.8
    Italy 2.6
    France -0.9
    USA -2.6
    Canada -3.3
    UK -4.4
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

EU will be getting 30 times the amount going to the DUP. Ask the EU.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Back in London for my partner's birthday weekend. We're in Kensington for the weekend, I don't know he area very well other than going for steak in Hawksmoor down the road. Anywhere else worth trying out?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

My first car was a BL mini clubman, but that is because I am incredibly old. "The memory of British Leyland" suggests you are too. People are no more going to be motivated by that argument than by trying to tie Corbyn in with the IRA.
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391
    I can (try to) forgive Rudd her hectoring smug performances in the run up to the referendum, but her behaviour since, periodically coming out with something racist or braindead in the mistaken belief that it is what Leave voters want is the real killer.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669

dr_spyn said:

Otis has his ups and downs
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

RobD said:

Pong said:

I am sure in corbyistan it will be torn down as it is a symbol of oppression by the elite.
    It could easily be converted to a minaret.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    The small chunk of voters transferring from LD>UKIP is the oddest psephological phenomenon of the last decade.

It's been discussed on here a few times.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

My theory for these bizarre poll-findings is that most people, now, are too young to even UNDERSTAND what "nationalising" means. It just sounds like "the government making companies a bit fairer".

The majority don't have a clue that it actually means the government forcibly taking over entire industries (at vast public expense) and then running them as a monopoly, with no incentive to make a profit.
    On the same point of people not really understanding what they are supporting, apparently more than one poll over here found that 20% of young people think it's acceptable to use violence against somebody who says something with which you disagree. Whither the first amendment?
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

dr_spyn said:

Bravo. That comment gave me a lift.
  • Options
    Pong said:

The small but notable chunk of voters transferring from LD>UKIP is one of the oddest psephological phenomenons of the last decade.

It's been discussed on here a few times.
    They were the NonConNonLab variety of former LibDem voters.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

My first car was a BL mini clubman, but that is because I am incredibly old. "The memory of British Leyland" suggests you are too. People are no more going to be motivated by that argument than by trying to tie Corbyn in with the IRA.
    My first car was a 1966 mini. It was fun to drive so long as nothing overtook you in the rain, as the water would go straight through the radiator grille and onto the spark plug wiring, and the car would immediately sputter to a halt.

The engineering fix was to put a curved piece of plastic covered cardboard behind the grille in the next year's model. British made cars were absolutely terrible in those days.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Jonathan said:

Just divert a day and a bit of the £350m away from the NHS?
  • Options

Tim_B said:

dr_spyn said:

Bravo. That comment gave me a lift.
    Some 20 years ago in Bradford I was visiting a client, and we had to go up in the elevator. The manufacturer plaque said "Schindler". So I said "ah! Schindlers Lift!". There were blank looks until I explained it, and then everyone was sheepish as they admitted they should have got it.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Nothing odd about that given his military background.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

rcs1000 said:
    But not the fines. So no big deal really. They don't take corporate malpractice seriously when it is committed by a German company. Just another form of protectionism I guess.
    It's definitely not cricket. Probably golf though :wink:
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Tim_B said:

Ishmael_Z said:

My first car was a 1966 mini. It was fun to drive so long as nothing overtook you in the rain, as the water would go straight through the radiator grille and onto the spark plug wiring, and the car would immediately sputter to a halt.

The engineering fix was to put a curved piece of plastic covered cardboard behind the grille in the next year's model. British made cars were absolutely terrible in those days.
    True, and nationalisation didn't help one iota... but let's forget that the British car industry became the biggest producer of crap cars before it was nationalised, i.e. under the auspices of free enterprise.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

This is for 2016 from the World Bank:

Germany     8.3
    Japan 3.8
    Italy 2.6
    France -0.9
    USA -2.6
    Canada -3.3
    UK -4.4
    Thanks.

That does show how unbalanced Germany's economy is - I've read several comments here about Germany looking rather tatty these days.

I'm surprised that Japan's surplus is still so high - I thought with their ageing population their trade surplus had been lost.

Is Canada's deficit a result of falling commodity prices ?
  • Options

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

You been to the Boris school of Economics
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

No, my turnip friend. The divorce bill they're demanding is of the order of £30 bn (or even more!)
  • Options
    SeanT said:

My theory for these bizarre poll-findings is that most people, now, are too young to even UNDERSTAND what "nationalising" means. It just sounds like "the government making companies a bit fairer".

The majority don't have a clue that it actually means the government forcibly taking over entire industries (at vast public expense) and then running them as a monopoly, with no incentive to make a profit.
    That would suggest that the number of under 40s who want to nationalise everything is much higher.

Which is a real indictment of the political and business establishment.
  • Options
    An interesting stat from Experian (that well managed and trustworthy Atlanta based company!) :

Home ownership percentages are falling. The reasons for home ownership delay among millennials are:

1 affordability and flexibility
    2 too few homes or too expensive
    3 43% turned down for a loan
    4 67% denied a mortgage due to poor credit or limited credit history
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

I'm not THAT old :wink: there were still news reports being led by Leyland strikes over their tea break washing up time in the 1980s.

And do you ever hear people moaning about cars the way they used to ?
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

I'm not THAT old :wink: there were still news reports being led by Leyland strikes over their tea break washing up time in the 1980s.

When I was a kid (the early 1980s), the concept of the 'Friday afternoon car' was often mentioned.
  • Options

Ishmael_Z said:

It was 6 years old when I got it! In the 60s and 70s it was just assumed that you'd spend the first year with a new car getting the doors bonnet and boot hung correctly and all the windows and door leaks fixed. When I bought my brand new Capri GT in the late 70s I took care to order a German made model as the british made ones were awful for quality.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Ishmael_Z said:

It was 6 years old when I got it! In the 60s and 70s it was just assumed that you'd spend the first year with a new car getting the doors bonnet and boot hung correctly and all the windows and door leaks fixed. When I bought my brand new Capri GT in the late 70s I took care to order a German made model as the british made ones were awful for quality.
    A late 70s Capri ?

So who did you want to be - Bodie or Doyle ?
  • Options

Tim_B said:

Ishmael_Z said:

A late 70s Capri ?

So who did you want to be - Bodie or Doyle ?
    Neither - I actually had to google them to find out about The Professionals.

I wanted a fun, reliable car.
  • Options

malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Jonathan said:

No, my turnip friend. The divorce bill they're demanding is of the order of £30 bn (or even more!)
    You make Boris sound sensible , would make you think a university place was well wasted
This discussion has been closed.