Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » With the CON conference starting David Herdson says what’s wan

124»

Comments

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

tyson said:

jonny83 said:

tyson said:

jonny83 said:

I think she has to sack him, even if probably doing so speeds up her own departure. The guy once again and it's all that he does is puts his own ambition before the party and the country. He's already played a huge part in getting rid of the best Conservative leader and Prime Minister they had for a long time, May is not in the same league as Cameron but it proves once again Boris is a destructive force.

Sack him and see if a leadership challenge comes or not. With all that's going on with Brexit and May does have some supporters as well as a stop Boris element in the party you could see him perhaps him being unsuccessful once again with his ambitions.

And maybe just maybe it finishes him off for good and kills off any notion of him realistically becoming leader. One can dream, I can't stand him and would never vote for him.

May's not going to sack him for the following reasons;
    -her position is too weak and she'd likely lose a leadership contest
    -it is exactly what Boris wants to trigger a contest...he wants to force May's hand
    -she's not that decisive anyhow even if she was in a more powerful position

If May knows she is pretty much finished or comes to that viewpoint then what does she have to lose?

If I was her I would go down fighting.
    Tenacity is a great strength though. May is the longest serving Home Secretary...to do that shows mettle. The longer she holds on now the more likely something turns up to give her a boost.
    Why doesn't he just resign and challenge her rather than trying to provoke her to sack him?
    He's demonstrating her weakness I think.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

Your man on the spot. Apparently, there are dmos like this across Spain today.
    https://twitter.com/spajw/status/914077905428389888

We had Dan Snow and Eddie Izzard, Bob Geldolf and Al Murray in Trafalgar Square before Scotland's indyref in 2014
    http://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-trafalgar-square-london-uk-15th-september-2014-dan-snow-speaks-to-73466175.html
    Lucky you. We had these guys.

https://twitter.com/linzlewis38/status/513024596279574528
    George Square - the most impressive part of Glasgow.
    To be fair it has many impressive parts
    I did the Subway earlier this month - finally :)
    The subway is excellent , I was on it recently going up to Kelvingrove Museum and then onto the clipper at the transport museum , with my grandson.
    I got a quizzical look from the ticket bloke at St Enoch when I told him I wanted a return ticket back to... St Enoch, in fact I did the line in both clockwise and anticlockwise directions :lol:
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995

.The two Aircraft Carriers look nice but are ruinously expensive.

And are completely pointless as a carrier is militarily useless without a battle group. As of right now, the RN has 6 surface combatant vessels available for operations.

You will never find a more passionate advocate of naval aviation than me (2 tours on Sea Harrier, 1 on F-14, 1 on Lynx) but the QE class is bleeding every other part of the service white.
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    Alistair said:

tyson said:

jonny83 said:

tyson said:

jonny83 said:

I think she has to sack him, even if probably doing so speeds up her own departure. The guy once again and it's all that he does is puts his own ambition before the party and the country. He's already played a huge part in getting rid of the best Conservative leader and Prime Minister they had for a long time, May is not in the same league as Cameron but it proves once again Boris is a destructive force.

Sack him and see if a leadership challenge comes or not. With all that's going on with Brexit and May does have some supporters as well as a stop Boris element in the party you could see him perhaps him being unsuccessful once again with his ambitions.

And maybe just maybe it finishes him off for good and kills off any notion of him realistically becoming leader. One can dream, I can't stand him and would never vote for him.

May's not going to sack him for the following reasons;
    -her position is too weak and she'd likely lose a leadership contest
    -it is exactly what Boris wants to trigger a contest...he wants to force May's hand
    -she's not that decisive anyhow even if she was in a more powerful position

If May knows she is pretty much finished or comes to that viewpoint then what does she have to lose?

If I was her I would go down fighting.
    Tenacity is a great strength though. May is the longest serving Home Secretary...to do that shows mettle. The longer she holds on now the more likely something turns up to give her a boost.
    Why doesn't he just resign and challenge her rather than trying to provoke her to sack him?
    He's demonstrating her weakness I think.
    May should just sack Boris and warn the party and country of the threat of recklessness during this time of national challenge.

Can't do that on the eve of party conference though.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,746

The Conservatives stand for...credible economics...

I've sen posts here supporting retaliatory tariffs, in favour of perpetual currency devaluation, and stating that car-washes are wealth-consuming. During his misbegotten tenure as CofE Osborne initiated Help-To-Buy, which started house-prices going up again as he funneled money into a product with inelastic supply and infinite demand.

My problem with the Conservative party is not that it supports credible economics. My problem is that it doesn't.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    My daughter a regional manager in retail alongside some of her work colleagues slept out on the street last night in Leeds to raise money for a charity , Simon on the street . I told my elderly father about it who is very proud of her.He told me he goes for a drink every Wednesday in the Conservative club and he has noticed the increase in people sleeping in doorways over the past year in York as he walked for his bus home. The wife and I were invited to a wedding evening do , the first time in a while, I had been out in the early hours for a bit and I could concur with their observations.Wether this increase is tied to Universal Credit I do not know but it is reminiscent of the 1980s.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    Dura_Ace said:

The Conservatives stand for social stability, moderation, credible economics, patriotism, the Union, valuing our shared inheritance, believing in gradual reform rather than radical change, and that strong societies are built from the bottom-up not the top-down.

Brexit shits on about two thirds of those.
    And Liberalism covers all of them, I think. The Conservatives need to go back to the drawing board. What they are, what they have done and what they want to do - these are what define them. Very nasty.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

The Conservatives stand for...credible economics...

I've sen posts here supporting retaliatory tariffs, in favour of perpetual currency devaluation, and stating that car-washes are wealth-consuming. During his misbegotten tenure as CofE Osborne initiated Help-To-Buy, which started house-prices going up again as he funneled money into a product with inelastic supply and infinite demand.

My problem with the Conservative party is not that it supports credible economics. My problem is that it doesn't.
    Help to raise house prices, triple lock pensions and Plan 2 tuition fees.

Difficult to know which has done most damage to Britain.
This discussion has been closed.