Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The inter-generational gap: The Pinch and the Punch

Comments

• DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,772

DavidL said:

In Catalonia the Spanish state is doing exactly as the Catalan separatists had hoped. The pig-headed, obstinate stupidity of the Spanish nationalist PP will deliver Catalan independence:
    https://twitter.com/mstothard/status/914385341917876224

These are not great graphics are they? Catalan support for independence will be much higher after today.

I am not too sure about that. But what the pictures will do is move international opinion. And for the separatists that is what really matters right now.

Now reports of rubber bullets being fired at people trying to vote in Barca.
  • DavidL said:

In Catalonia the Spanish state is doing exactly as the Catalan separatists had hoped. The pig-headed, obstinate stupidity of the Spanish nationalist PP will deliver Catalan independence:

These are not great graphics are they? Catalan support for independence will be much higher after today.

I am not too sure about that. But what the pictures will do is move international opinion. And for the separatists that is what really matters right now.

"The Separatists have been 'taken care of', my master!" - Anakin Skywalker.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,400
    OchEye said:

tlg86 said:

Theresa May facing tough questions from Marr

For a brief moment I was actually quite impressed by her. She showed some fighting spirit talking about a run on the pound under Labour.
    She is under colossal pressure and you have to wonder how most anyone would just not walk away, no matter one's opinion of her she must have amazing fortitude and determination - she is at least a serious politician
    A cleverer person would walk away, unfortunately.......
    That would depend on if someone worse would likely replace them or not.
  • Very informative thread, TP!
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Really - that is dreadful
  • tlg86 said:

For a brief moment I was actually quite impressed by her. She showed some fighting spirit talking about a run on the pound under Labour.
    PMILF
  • PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138
    In passing, just as well Mr Bell was not elected! He seems a bit confused....

The triple lock on pensions was brought into being by the Lib Dems when we had a Coalition Government.

Current Tory policy seems to be to undo or undermine all the good things that the Lib Dems did in 2010-2015. Very foolish and short-sighted of them. No wonder they are losing support.

DavidL said:

"The Separatists have been 'taken care of', my master!" - Anakin Skywalker.
    Granted, the republic may not have responded in fantastic fashion to systems wishing to be independent.
    edited October 2017
    PClipp said:

The triple lock on pensions was brought into being by the Lib Dems when we had a Coalition Government.

Current Tory policy seems to be to undo or undermine all the good things that the Lib Dems did in 2010-2015. Very foolish and short-sighted of them. No wonder they are losing support.

The triple lock is not one of the good things, and I liked the coalition and wanted more LDs in it. The willingness of the Tories to try some policies that they knew would be disliked by some of their core was actually admirable. Unfortunately they ran a bad campaign, and labour a good one, and didn't make up the difference caused by drop off in certain areas.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,087

DavidL said:

There is a simple solution to the problem of property costs: build far more of them, especially in London where the main problem is. The third dimension is woefully underused in Britain. You don't have to build tower blocks. Five or six storey mansion blocks would be enough.

There is a massive use of the third dimension on the south bank at the moment but I suspect the prices will not be of much interest to anyone under 40.
    How many of them will (a) be bought by UK residents and (b) lived in by them?
    Significant proportions of new units are bought by overseas residents. The percentage is highest in central London but the total number there is small;

A clear majority of units bought by overseas investors are let out to Londoners;

Others are used by owners’ family members, children in education or returning expats, and are fully occupied;
    A small but highly visible subset is lived in only occasionally. However, there was almost no evidence of homes being left permanently empty;

Pre-sales to overseas buyers enable developers to build faster and thus make more market and affordable housing available than would otherwise have been the case;

International investment and finance have helped bring stalled sites into use and speed up development on larger sites. They have also been key to creating our Build to Rent sector.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/what-is-the-role-of-overseas-investors-in-the-london-new-build-residential-market/
    Digging into that report it is clear that any outrage about this alleged problem is mainly hot air and pure politics:

"The proportion of sales to overseas buyers rises to 53% for central London. It is important to note though, that central London accounts for only around 10% of overall residential development in London, and one-third of units in larger developments is currently concentrated in Tower Hamlets, Wandsworth and Greenwich.
    "

and

" the overall proportion of new market units sold to overseas buyers is undoubtedly much lower; the York University analysis suggests around 13% of new market housing was sold to overseas residents across London as a whole in the two years to March 2016. "
    https://www.london.gov.uk/moderngovmb/documents/s58640/08b2b LSE Overseas Investment report.pdf

Similarly with units allegedly left empty by foreigners - the numbers are not significant. I can dig out the quotes if anyone needs them.
  • kle4 said:

Couldn't they just have blocked the entranceways even if separatists has already squatted in the buildings themselves? A few people voting is no worry if no one else can get in without getting violent. I suppose it's a more complicated operation than I probably think, but obstinacy from the Catalans as well aside, what's madrids endgame? Given the plans undertaken thus time I should think the next regional elections will have the separatist parties up the ante again, perhaps promising a declaration just for winning that, in which case does Spain just ban the parties for promising illegal action?
    Absolutely if the Spaniards won't permit a referendum then turn the election into one. If we win we will declare UDI. After today, watch them win.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,718
    edited October 2017
    PClipp said:

OchEye said:

PClipp said:

Sandpit said:

... they’ll leave them empty and sit on the asset, which is bound to appreciate considerably in the long term.

The answer to that one is site value rating, obviously. Mr Corbyn`s Labour Party said in their last manifesto that the might "look at it".

What we need is a good Liberal government.
    When you find one, please let us know.....
    There is a good Lib Dem government in waiting, Mr Eye. With more experience of being in government than the Labour Party has. And much more compassion and common sense than the Conservatives have.

Unfortunately, not as much money as the old parties, with their wealthy backers.

But by all accounts, with more members that the Conservatives.....
    There wasn’t much compassion about when Legal Aid was reduced. And that’s from a former Lib/LD activist.
  • So, the evil, baby-eating, xenophobic, Brexiteering Tories gave the Scots an opportunity to vote on being part of the UK or not. Whether or not you think Scotland should be part of the UK, at least the referendum was given the go ahead.

But the loyal, Europhile Spanish Govt. refuses to give the Catalans a say on whether they should be part of Spain or not. What are the Spanish Govt. afraid of? Actually losing any legal referendum?
  • OchEye said:

tlg86 said:

She is under colossal pressure and you have to wonder how most anyone would just not walk away, no matter one's opinion of her she must have amazing fortitude and determination - she is at least a serious politician
    The sheer class of John Major's resignation in 1997 - "When the curtain falls it is time to get off the stage and that is what I propose to do" and then off to the cricket for the rest of the day looking very chilled out.

May could do the same. Announce her resignation effective immediately and walk away with more of her reputation intact than she will have left when she gets ousted at some point later.

And anyway, I have this vision of her sat in the audience at their conference loudly shouting "Bollocks" at BoJo as he waffles his way through his why I am brilliant speech...
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Photos of brute force and injuries to defenceless young people emerging from Barcelona

This is absolute madness and will put a schism through Spain that is not going to be healed for a very long time

I know nothing of Catalonia and Spain but I've thought about this a bit and I've decided shooting people because they want to vote is wrong on a moral absolute level.
  • DavidL said:

Rajoy. What a cretin.
    Alistair said:

Photos of brute force and injuries to defenceless young people emerging from Barcelona

This is absolute madness and will put a schism through Spain that is not going to be healed for a very long time

I know nothing of Catalonia and Spain but I've thought about this a bit and I've decided shooting people because they want to vote is wrong on a moral absolute level.
    Even if they want to vote SNP?

Yeah....probably.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    PClipp said:

The LDs facilitated evil.

Stop trying to rewrite history the voters haven't forgiven them.
  • AnExileinD4AnExileinD4 Posts: 337
    edited October 2017
    Delurk

Interested in the calls for more contact time, particularly in subjects such as English and History. University should be about reading, analysing and thinking for oneself. It's not a super-A level.

Lurk
  • DavidL said:

DavidL said:

This is what I always feared would happen. I suspect it will get worse. I also suspect that through their actions the Spanish state and the Spanish nationalist PP government have ensured that Catalonia will secure some form of independence. The PP have run a text book study in how not to deal with a separatist movement in a democracy. When the PP came to power parties backing independence were getting less than 20% in Catalan elections. That was less than 10 years ago!!

• GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    MattW said:

DavidL said:

There is a simple solution to the problem of property costs: build far more of them, especially in London where the main problem is. The third dimension is woefully underused in Britain. You don't have to build tower blocks. Five or six storey mansion blocks would be enough.

There is a massive use of the third dimension on the south bank at the moment but I suspect the prices will not be of much interest to anyone under 40.
    Significant proportions of new units are bought by overseas residents. The percentage is highest in central London but the total number there is small;

A clear majority of units bought by overseas investors are let out to Londoners;

Others are used by owners’ family members, children in education or returning expats, and are fully occupied;
    A small but highly visible subset is lived in only occasionally. However, there was almost no evidence of homes being left permanently empty;

Pre-sales to overseas buyers enable developers to build faster and thus make more market and affordable housing available than would otherwise have been the case;

International investment and finance have helped bring stalled sites into use and speed up development on larger sites. They have also been key to creating our Build to Rent sector.

http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/politicsandpolicy/what-is-the-role-of-overseas-investors-in-the-london-new-build-residential-market/
    Digging into that report it is clear that any outrage about this alleged problem is mainly hot air and pure politics:

"The proportion of sales to overseas buyers rises to 53% for central London. It is important to note though, that central London accounts for only around 10% of overall residential development in London, and one-third of units in larger developments is currently concentrated in Tower Hamlets, Wandsworth and Greenwich.
    "

and

" the overall proportion of new market units sold to overseas buyers is undoubtedly much lower; the York University analysis suggests around 13% of new market housing was sold to overseas residents across London as a whole in the two years to March 2016. "
    https://www.london.gov.uk/moderngovmb/documents/s58640/08b2b LSE Overseas Investment report.pdf

Similarly with units allegedly left empty by foreigners - the numbers are not significant. I can dig out the quotes if anyone needs them.
    Although the numbers are not large, foreign ownership is still a "thing". There should be moderate controls or stamp duty surcharges on property purchases by non-residents.
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    It is yet again worth pointing out that housing remains very affordable in most of the country.

The problems are largely confined to the South East.

In fact, some parts of the country are de-populating. & that means there are empty homes. despite the huge increase in UK population over the last fifty years, some parts of the country have nonetheless seen their populations decline.

There are many, many companies & organisations based in London who just do not need to be there and should move out.
    It is always a bit awkward given our culture elevates democratic will and mandate above nearly all else - certainly above following the rules, man, as any pop culture tells us - that doing so is intrinsically 'the right thing' even against the rules, it is awkward when we, or in this case Spain, responds so aggressively to an attempt to vote, even if it is indeed against the law and given the disruptions hardly a credible vote.

Internationally I Think southam is right this nets them more support, but governments are holding firm behind Spain I think?
  • BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,979

OchEye said:

tlg86 said:

The sheer class of John Major's resignation in 1997 - "When the curtain falls it is time to get off the stage and that is what I propose to do" and then off to the cricket for the rest of the day looking very chilled out.

May could do the same. Announce her resignation effective immediately and walk away with more of her reputation intact than she will have left when she gets ousted at some point later.

And anyway, I have this vision of her sat in the audience at their conference loudly shouting "Bollocks" at BoJo as he waffles his way through his why I am brilliant speech...
    It's clear that Marr thinks she is finished. He feels that he doesn't need to show any respect.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. Owls, you mean... the Lib Dems are the ones who released Imhotep?!

Mr. D4, interesting comment. And delurk more.

kle4 said:

Couldn't they just have blocked the entranceways even if separatists has already squatted in the buildings themselves? A few people voting is no worry if no one else can get in without getting violent. I suppose it's a more complicated operation than I probably think, but obstinacy from the Catalans as well aside, what's madrids endgame? Given the plans undertaken thus time I should think the next regional elections will have the separatist parties up the ante again, perhaps promising a declaration just for winning that, in which case does Spain just ban the parties for promising illegal action?
    Absolutely if the Spaniards won't permit a referendum then turn the election into one. If we win we will declare UDI. After today, watch them win.
    They have already arrested a lot of local politicians. Would they try to arrest a government? I just don't get how they think this is winning locals to the cause of a united Spain.
    edited October 2017
    Alistair said:

I agree. Shooting people because they want to vote is wrong on a moral absolute level.

MattW said:

DavidL said:

"The proportion of sales to overseas buyers rises to 53% for central London. It is important to note thoughwer Hamlets, Wandsworth and Greenwich.
    "

and

Although the numbers are not large, foreign ownership is still a "thing". There should be moderate controls or stamp duty surcharges on property purchases by non-residents.
    If the numbers are not large why is foreign ownership being a thing a problem?
  • kle4 said:

It is always a bit awkward given our culture elevates democratic will and mandate above nearly all else - certainly above following the rules, man, as any pop culture tells us - that doing so is intrinsically 'the right thing' even against the rules, it is awkward when we, or in this case Spain, responds so aggressively to an attempt to vote, even if it is indeed against the law and given the disruptions hardly a credible vote.

Internationally I Think southam is right this nets them more support, but governments are holding firm behind Spain I think?

Well the EU is holding firm behind them but then the EU has never really had much truck with democracy anyway.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Barnesian said:

OchEye said:

tlg86 said:

It's clear that Marr thinks she is finished. He feels that he doesn't need to show any respect.
    May scheduled to appear in Monty Python reunion as parrot.
    Mr. kle4, indeed, but a problem exists when the right of people to freely determine their own destiny is against the rules.

I know it was very testy at the time, but the Scottish referendum, from both north and south of the border, is looking more civilised as more time passes.

PClipp said:

Facilitates evil! Hahahaha. It was a godsdamned temporary political alliance, they do it all the time in other countries, even ones bitterly opposed to each other. Better you mitigate damage and get some things done than none. Our attitude in this country about 'forgiving' the LDs for the crime of making a deal to help the country is extremely childish.
    F1: incidentally, no safety car was over 3 (I think 3.5/3.75). Bit annoyed to have missed that. I blame the Lib Dems.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,709
    More housing would help but it has to be focused on unused sites and converting unoccupied and underused property in brownbelt land first rather than the countryside and green belt (which new towns would also diminish).

It should also be noted that the main switch to Labour from the Tories since 2015 came amongst 40 to 50 year olds because of the dementia tax which would have reversed most of the inheritance they would have gained in a few years from Osborne's inheritance tax cut. Therefore scrapping the dementia tax post election was go. Even Ed Miliband won voters 30 and under so while the Tories should try and make progress with that demographic it is the 40 to 50s they really need to win next time given the age at which a voter started voting Tory last time was 47
    I hope people aren't thinking I'm being glib in my statement. It's a difficult topic but I'm on my mobile so don't have the typing capacity to lay out my thinking.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    PClipp said:

You have a very irritating habit of claiming all of what you think are the good bits for the LibDems and blaming the Tories for all of the bad bits regardless of who originated the policy, who advocated it, who pushed it through or who was the minister responsible.

It was a Coalition government. Both parties are responsible for all of it.
    Barnesian said:

OchEye said:

tlg86 said:

Everyone knows she's finished.

Like a boxer being battered in the final rounds of the fight, you fear for her.

Hands over the eyes, it is too painful to watch.

Brown was mortally damaged by the end, but he had a solidity that meant you were sure he wouldn't fall to the floor of the ring and be pummelled to death.

May doesn't.

Mr. kle4, indeed, but a problem exists when the right of people to freely determine their own destiny is against the rules.

Oh indeed, what can one do? Try to change the rules I suppose, but that may be impossible.

OT ever heard of a game called tyranny? It's a baldurs gate style Rpg where you play a judge type figure in a world which has been successfully subjugated by a fantasy evil overlord. It was fun stuff - you can try to do some good things, it even gives opportunity to rebel a little, but I played it straight as a honourable and incorruptible upholder of the law...even though the law was that of an evil overlord. Good stuff.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,837
    HYUFD said:

More housing would help but it has to be focused on unused sites and converting unoccupied and underused property in brownbelt land first rather than the countryside and green belt (which new towns would also diminish).

It should also be noted that the main switch to Labour from the Tories since 2015 came amongst 40 to 50 year olds because of the dementia tax which would have reversed most of the inheritance they would have gained in a few years from Osborne's inheritance tax cut. Therefore scrapping the dementia tax post election was go. Even Ed Miliband won voters 30 and under so while the Tories should try and make progress with that demographic it is the 40 to 50s they really need to win next time given the age at which a voter started voting Tory last time was 47

Agree it was partly the dementia tax for the 40 to 50 year olds, but it was a double sided whammy,. These are also the group worrying about their kids' uni fees, rents and education generally. So punched from both ends.
    edited October 2017
    Barnesian said:

Alistair said:

I agree. Shooting people because they want to vote is wrong on a moral absolute level.
    Although that construction implies there are occasions that it is right to shoot people.
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Have we been told how the Catalan violence is bad for Brexit yet ?

More importantly- what are the football implications of this - can Barca morally stay in La Ligua and represent Spain in he Champions league .?
    ydoethur said:

Surely the other key question is why it costs £9000 a year for a history degree with 10 hours a week (over about 30 weeks) of contact time?

It doesn't. Usually it costs about £2-3,000.

However, it can cost up to £30,000 to train a science graduate, and since they can't charge full fees for that, they need to recruit as many cheaper students in history, English, politics, business, art etc to make up the shortfall.

The other elephant in the room is Education - strangely, that's one of the more expensive degrees because of fees paid to schools. Which is of course why the DfE are frantically closing down education departments and moving to SCITT routes, even though they know this is a less effective way of training on the whole.
    Which is why arts degree fees should be cut given they are both cheaper to run and have a lower graduate earnings premium and Hammond is sensibly looking at this while subsidising STEM courses which would still charge £9000
  • ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,920

Delurk

Interested in the calls for more contact time, particularly in subjects such as English and History. University should be about reading, analysing and thinking for oneself. It's not a super-A level.

Lurk

It seems to me, there is a market opportunity for a new specialised university to offer such subjects at market rate (i.e. around £4-5k per year). All they need to do is then lure a few high profile academics to establish a reputation. Alternatively, an existing university could ditch all the expensive subjects, announce their new exclusive specialism in the humanities and cut fees accordingly.
    Charles said:

Barnesian said:

Alistair said:

Although that constructions implies there are occasions that it is right to shoot people.
    If they are charging me with a knife then damn right I am going to shoot them. If they are walking to the ballot box with a voting slip not so much.
  • OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    kle4 said:

OchEye said:

tlg86 said:

That would depend on if someone worse would likely replace them or not.
    The pressure for change will keep building until something gives. The visible blockage is TMay. Whether the Tories Grey Suits decide to "squeeze the plook" or wait until a Krakatoa explosion occurs, the die is cast....

PClipp said:

OchEye said:

PClipp said:

Sandpit said:

... they’ll leave them empty and sit on the asset, which is bound to appreciate considerably in the long term.

The answer to that one is site value rating, obviously. Mr Corbyn`s Labour Party said in their last manifesto that the might "look at it".

What we need is a good Liberal government.
    When you find one, please let us know.....
    There is a good Lib Dem government in waiting, Mr Eye. With more experience of being in government than the Labour Party has. And much more compassion and common sense than the Conservatives have.

Unfortunately, not as much money as the old parties, with their wealthy backers.

But by all accounts, with more members that the Conservatives.....
    There wasn’t much compassion about when Legal Aid was reduced. And that’s from a former Lib/LD activist.
    Must remember to read my copy of the Orange Book, if I can think of where I last threw it. There are still a lot of people around who can remember how Clegg became leader. There's always a chance that the LibDems could form a government, Red Rum might be similarly be resurrected and win the Grand National, but whether either would be any good second time around..
    Charles said:

PClipp said:

You have a very irritating habit of claiming all of what you think are the good bits for the LibDems and blaming the Tories for all of the bad bits regardless of who originated the policy, who advocated it, who pushed it through or who was the minister responsible.

Sensible words. I've no issue with claiming inspiration for the good bits, though that is sometimes harder to prove, but they all share in it - the who,e point was 'is the cost of coalition worth the outcome'? Sadly for the LDs people said no, though I thought yes.
    DavidL said:

kle4 said:

They have already arrested a lot of local politicians. Would they try to arrest a government? I just don't get how they think this is winning locals to the cause of a united Spain.
    I am by no means an expert on the Spanish Civil War, but wasn't Catalonia one of the heartlands of the Republicans/Socialists/Communists and aren't the PP the descendants of the Fascists/Francoists?

Could history be influencing today's behaviour?
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842

The Georgians were surprisingly efficient at high urban densities and who (apart from the Victorians) doesn't like their stuff? Its the fake Georgian McMansions that put people off - terraces - that's what we need!
    Wasn't that because they relied on the underclass living 10 to a room?
    Lol happening at the moment
    Charles said:

PClipp said:

That’s my problem. The total car-crash that was Lansley’s NHS reorganisation wasn’t the Coalition’s finest hour, either.
    kle4 said:

PClipp said:

Facilitates evil! Hahahaha. It was a godsdamned temporary political alliance, they do it all the time in other countries, even ones bitterly opposed to each other. Better you mitigate damage and get some things done than none. Our attitude in this country about 'forgiving' the LDs for the crime of making a deal to help the country is extremely childish.
    Why do you think the LD have considerably fewer Mps than in 2010 and NC is unemployed. The voters have taken a dim view of the Colaborators!!
  • kle4 said:

Well the EU is holding firm behind them but then the EU has never really had much truck with democracy anyway.

This has very little to do with the EU. It's not as if other governments elsewhere are backing Catalan UDI. What we have in Spain is a right wing, nationalist government, with its roots in Francoism, doing everything in its power to turn what had been a minority cause in Catalonia into a majority one. Today's violence will now see a major shift in international opinion. The separatists have won.

TGOHF said:

More importantly- what are the football implications of this - can Barca morally stay in La Ligua and represent Spain in he Champions league .?

The BBC did a piece, the Catalans naturally say yes, pointing to Monaco playing in the French league.
    edited October 2017
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Imagine if David Cameron had refused to allow a Scottish independence refererendum and ordered the police to fire rubber bullets at Yes and SNP supporters in Glasgow in 2014 and that is the equivalent of what the Spanish government are doing this morning in Barcelona
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    edited October 2017

The Georgians were surprisingly efficient at high urban densities and who (apart from the Victorians) doesn't like their stuff? Its the fake Georgian McMansions that put people off - terraces - that's what we need!
    Wasn't that because they relied on the underclass living 10 to a room?
    There was an interesting piece on the last bit of Victorian slum housing in Leicester this week. It seems to have survived by being forgotten, and now ironically stands in the way of an urban housing project.

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicester-news/last-example-victorian-slum-housing-540081

Certainly we are less ambitious at tackling the housing than in the late fifties, when the peak of postwar building occurred under the Tories. The pictures here of slum clearance are quite dramatic:

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/history/what-happened-leicester-victorian-slums-547555

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/history/gallery/the-slums-of-leicester-541382

Tories should note that it didnt save their electoral bacon though.
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

kle4 said:

Ithink the Spanish goverment think if Catolonia was to achieve independace then who next, the Basque Region, Galacia even Valencia (unlikely imo) the shadow of Franco still lingers and infuences decisions be it a fear of it returning or as an excuse to make it happen.
  • Ave I got it right that central government grants to universities have been slashed at the same time fees have gone up? That would explain why the supposed market on fees "up to £9,250" hasn't happened - they need the cash
    edited October 2017

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

Why do you think the LD have considerably fewer Mps than in 2010 and NC is unemployed. The voters have taken a dim view of the Colaborators!!
    They determined what the LDs gained from the deal was not worth the cost, but what they facilitated was a mostly centre right government, not evil. People who think in terms of evil to describe centrist parties, and most other parties, when not in jest, are being childish.
    Alistair said:

Charles said:

Barnesian said:

Alistair said:

Although that constructions implies there are occasions that it is right to shoot people.
    If they are charging me with a knife then damn right I am going to shoot them. If they are walking to the ballot box with a voting slip not so much.
    If they are charging you with a knife it becomes justifiable, but not morally right.

If they are charging a group of innocent children, then it becomes morally right.
  • Charles said:

Barnesian said:

Alistair said:

Of course there are. Last resort for the self-defense of the lives of yourself or others it is right.

To stop people casting votes it is wrong.

Spain should have just said this referendum was illegal so nul and void and should be boycotted by all who oppose independence. Fewer than half would have turned out to vote for independence without all this escalation.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    edited October 2017
    When is the next El Classico ? Could be tasty :)
  • kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

The BBC did a piece, the Catalans naturally say yes, pointing to Monaco playing in the French league.
    And Swansea playing in the EPL :)
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,812
    kle4 said:

If the numbers are not large why is foreign ownership being a thing a problem?

Because at the margin, you have locals competing with bottomless pockets from abroad (often money from dubious sources).

Foreign investment in London housing does us no particular favours, unlike other forms of FDI. It simply puts us in hock to rentiers from abroad.
    kle4 said:

Charles said:

PClipp said:

Sensible words. I've no issue with claiming inspiration for the good bits, though that is sometimes harder to prove, but they all share in it - the who,e point was 'is the cost of coalition worth the outcome'? Sadly for the LDs people said no, though I thought yes.
    I'm a High Tory.

I believe in sensible as the best form of government.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Scott_P said:
    Thought Tories didn't like Experts. But if JRM is the star of the Bruges group we should take him more seriously.

kle4 said:

This has very little to do with the EU. It's not as if other governments elsewhere are backing Catalan UDI. What we have in Spain is a right wing, nationalist government, with its roots in Francoism, doing everything in its power to turn what had been a minority cause in Catalonia into a majority one. Today's violence will now see a major shift in international opinion. The separatists have won.

However if it splits Spain and sees Catalonia join the EU after many EU nations might start to think about whether they want their countries potentially all split into regions of an EU superstate
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Surely the other key question is why it costs £9000 a year for a history degree with 10 hours a week (over about 30 weeks) of contact time?

However, it can cost up to £30,000 to train a science graduate, and since they can't charge full fees for that, they need to recruit as many cheaper students in history, English, politics, business, art etc to make up the shortfall.

The other elephant in the room is Education - strangely, that's one of the more expensive degrees because of fees paid to schools. Which is of course why the DfE are frantically closing down education departments and moving to SCITT routes, even though they know this is a less effective way of training on the whole.
    Which is why arts degree fees should be cut given they are both cheaper to run and have a lower graduate earnings premium and Hammond is sensibly looking at this while subsidising STEM courses which would still charge £9000
    Yes, but despite all that many students still prefer to study history, literature etc. They can quite rightly object to their choices being used to cross-subsidise STEM subjects.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,087

@CarlottaVance

I am not clear what is "surprising" about the efficiency of the Georgians. They were simply efficient and there are similar low rise high density examples from every period. Even the Barbican is not really high rise or high density - only about 100 flats out of 2000 are above the 8th storey.

And there are examples of more traditional estates built early in the 20C that are not dissimilar in density.

If anyone is "surprised" about the Georgians, it is surely because they are bloviating from a position of dumb ignorance. I am sure that this does not include your good self.

Jonathan said:

Scott_P said:
    Thought Tories didn't like Experts. But if JRM is the star of the Bruges group we should take him more seriously.
    As you can see it's ok when they are 'real experts'.

kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

And the English Club TNS playing in the Welsh Premier League.
  • CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,074

ydoethur said:

I'd free local authorities to hoover up BTL homes being sold cheap by landlords who decided there wasn't enough profit in it. Borrowing to buy a cheap asset makes sense as an investment especially when it fulfils a community purpose.

We can't keep on building more and more and more houses. The developers charter the Tories brought in already means that residents and councils and planning officers can do little to stop developers building the wrong kinds of houses in the wrong locations. Scrap the NPPF is another good step.

That's an idea with some merit, but the problem is in the current state of the housing market I think even with a 20% drop in prices you would still pay more to buy than to build. So the question of money remains.

I am also concerned about the wrong kind of houses but equally, if we have more and more people in the country we have to build more and more houses. If our population increases by a third in twenty years, they have to go somewhere. That does mean building new houses.

I know one poster (I think it was Alistair) put forward flats as the alternative but they tend not to be what most people actually want. So they can end up distorting matters further.

I would add that if large numbers of 60s towerblocks become unusable as well due to fire safety concerns that will make matters considerably more difficult.

Edit - and Alistair helpfully confirms he does think of building upwards.
    Needs not wants. Anyway, a lot of it is about poverty of imagination. Courtyard blocks are common across much of Europe, use space very efficiently and can be very stylish.
    Agree with this. I grew up in such a home in Italy and it was great. Well built mansion blocks, particularly if you "green" them with roof terraces and balconies, can be a good alternative and make a sensible use of the space we already have within cities.

The key is to build them well rather than the shoddy gimcrack flats that too many large houses have been turned into.
  • Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    I'm at Conference and on a mobile so not able to comment at length but thank you all for the constructive engagement in the comments.

Alastair and others are of course right to point out that the housing issue is concentrated in the South East and we need policies to address that specifically - though of course some of them can take the form of boosting the Midlands and North as places to do business.

That said, we need to avoid responding to our electoral setbacks in the capital by indulging in London-bashing - the city is a colossal national asset.

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Yes, but despite all that many students still prefer to study history, literature etc
    Damn right, my ability to bring up civil war anecdotes at will was well worth the 4 years.
  • nichomar said:

kle4 said:

Ithink the Spanish goverment think if Catolonia was to achieve independace then who next, the Basque Region, Galacia even Valencia (unlikely imo) the shadow of Franco still lingers and infuences decisions be it a fear of it returning or as an excuse to make it happen.
    Interesting thing about Valencia is that Catalan is also spoken there, but known locally as "Valencian". It is to all intents and purposes Catalan.
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

They determined what the LDs gained from the deal was not worth the cost, but what they facilitated was a mostly centre right government, not evil. People who think in terms of evil to describe centrist parties, and most other parties, when not in jest, are being childish.
    Or vote Tory after appearing to be sensible human beings for years on Political forums. May as well go full on evil as LDs are gonners!!!!

Delurk

Lurk

It seems to me, there is a market opportunity for a new specialised university to offer such subjects at market rate (i.e. around £4-5k per year). All they need to do is then lure a few high profile academics to establish a reputation. Alternatively, an existing university could ditch all the expensive subjects, announce their new exclusive specialism in the humanities and cut fees accordingly.
    There already is one, AC Grayling's recently established New College of the Humanities
    https://www.nchlondon.ac.uk/
  • nichomar said:

kle4 said:

Oh I agree and the shadow of the Spanish Civil War does indeed still linger over the country, not least because there was no reckoning for so many people because of the way in which all the atrocities of the period were concreted over both during Franco's reign and after the restoration of democracy.

But the bottom line is that that is no excuse for this sort of behaviour. I do believe the right of self determination is one of the most important features of real democracy and that if a region wishes to break away they should be allowed to do so. Obviously the same principle applies to Scotland but it would equally apply to Cornwall or Brittany.

The Spanish Government at the moment are managing to do just about every single thing wrong both morally and practically and the states of the EU should be condemning rather than condoning.
    edited October 2017

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

Or vote Tory after appearing to be sensible human beings for years on Political forums!
    Touché.

Corbyn forced me to do that, that's why I cannot forgive him.

But he's not evil.
    HYUFD said:

Delurk

Lurk

There already is one, AC Grayling's recently established New College of the Humanities
    https://www.nchlondon.ac.uk/
    Total flop. Largely because it charges £18k a year!
    Mr. kle4, I've heard of it, but it's currently PC-only, right?

You might be interested in Divinity Original Sin II, btw. Due out fairly shortly, PC-only to start with. I'm still struggling with the first game (stubbornness prevents me lowering the difficulty).

Finished Pillars of Eternity a few days ago. Want to play a bit more to assess freedom of choice etc before reviewing it. Mostly good, some iffy bits.

nichomar said:

kle4 said:

Oh I agree and the shadow of the Spanish Civil War does indeed still linger over the country, not least because there was no reckoning for so many people because of the way in which all the atrocities of the period were concreted over both during Franco's reign and after the restoration of democracy.

But the bottom line is that that is no excuse for this sort of behaviour. I do believe the right of self determination is one of the most important features of real democracy and that if a region wishes to break away they should be allowed to do so. Obviously the same principle applies to Scotland but it would equally apply to Cornwall or Brittany.

The Spanish Government at the moment are managing to do just about every single thing wrong both morally and practically and the states of the EU should be condemning rather than condoning.
    Let us just hope there are no deaths. Sad that that is a concern.
  • NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,263
    My impression - I wouldn't claim it's scientifically based - is that it's a mistake to think that younger voters can be appeased by some improvements to housing policy or cuts in tuition fees. The insurgency of the 18-50 generations is more a attitudinal phenomenon - they are just tired of bleak austerity with no end in sight, and want a government that seems to offer some hope of what they feel would be a better society.

That's why attacks on the affordability of Labour's student fee policy don't really cut through - people appreciate the intention, and have priced in that it might need to be phased in etc.
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Agree it was partly the dementia tax for the 40 to 50 year olds, but it was a double sided whammy,. These are also the group worrying about their kids' uni fees, rents and education generally. So punched from both ends.
    Do something about fees and housing too but ensure a policy like the dementia tax is kept on the scrap heap and never resurrected again
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

kle4 said:

I am by no means an expert on the Spanish Civil War, but wasn't Catalonia one of the heartlands of the Republicans/Socialists/Communists and aren't the PP the descendants of the Fascists/Francoists?

Could history be influencing today's behaviour?
    Possible Charles but you're better asking Southam. He is much better informed on this.

Mr. kle4, I've heard of it, but it's currently PC-only, right?

You might be interested in Divinity Original Sin II, btw. Due out fairly shortly, PC-only to start with. I'm still struggling with the first game (stubbornness prevents me lowering the difficulty).

Finished Pillars of Eternity a few days ago. Want to play a bit more to assess freedom of choice etc before reviewing it. Mostly good, some iffy bits.

Got sidetracked from the first divinity original sin, need to back to it. Didn't realise tyranny was of only, you poor thing. Pillars I liked, though not superb. Second one is now in development. I do like that style of game.
  • What we need to do is the same thing we've needed to do for years.

And that's rebalance the economy so that endless billions don't flow out of the country.

This person said it well in 2010:

' And at the moment we borrow money from the Chinese in order to buy the things that the Chinese make for us. '

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8489984.stm

And in 2010 the UK had a current account deficit of £60bn, by 2016 that had increased to £115bn.

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/nationalaccounts/balanceofpayments/timeseries/hbop/pnbp
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

However if it splits Spain and sees Catalonia join the EU after many EU nations might start to think about whether they want their countries potentially all split into regions of an EU superstate
    An independent Catalonia will never be a member of the EU. Spain will veto it all day and every day.
  • OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    nichomar said:

kle4 said:

The regions of France, Italy, Netherlands, the Landers of Germany and others would be encouraged to try and secede. The administration of the now 27 is difficult enough - how much more "fun" would it be for a hundred or so.....
    edited October 2017
    Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

I'd free local authorities to hoover up BTL homes being sold cheap by landlords who decided there wasn't enough profit in it. Borrowing to buy a cheap asset makes sense as an investment especially when it fulfils a community purpose.

We can't keep on building more and more and more houses. The developers charter the Tories brought in already means that residents and councils and planning officers can do little to stop developers building the wrong kinds of houses in the wrong locations. Scrap the NPPF is another good step.

That's an idea with some merit, but the problem is in the current state of the housing market I think even with a 20% drop in prices you would still pay more to buy than to build. So the question of money remains.

I am also concerned about the wrong kind of houses but equally, if we have more and more people in the country we have to build more and more houses. If our population increases by a third in twenty years, they have to go somewhere. That does mean building new houses.

I know one poster (I think it was Alistair) put forward flats as the alternative but they tend not to be what most people actually want. So they can end up distorting matters further.

I would add that if large numbers of 60s towerblocks become unusable as well due to fire safety concerns that will make matters considerably more difficult.

Edit - and Alistair helpfully confirms he does think of building upwards.
    Needs not wants. Anyway, a lot of it is about poverty of imagination. Courtyard blocks are common across much of Europe, use space very efficiently and can be very stylish.
    Agree with this. I grew up in such a home in Italy and it was great. Well built mansion blocks, particularly if you "green" them with roof terraces and balconies, can be a good alternative and make a sensible use of the space we already have within cities.

The key is to build them well rather than the shoddy gimcrack flats that too many large houses have been turned into.
    I live on the first floor of a five storey mansion block in Barnes. It was built in 1908. Very solid and soundproof. We have a balcony with table and chairs where I smoke a cigar, sipping my cognac surveying the Barnes scene. It has a rather nice entrance and staircase at the front and a more scruffy servant staircase at the back that our porter uses. It is multinational with young and old. Our frequent parties in the communal gardens are spent moaning about Brexit (as well as drinking). I know all my neighbours and it has the feel of a grand Cambridge college staircase. Highly recommended. About £1 million per apartment.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,165
    TGOHF said:

If things get really bad, Spain might not be allowed to play at next year's World Cup.

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Yes, but despite all that many students still prefer to study history, literature etc. They can quite rightly object to their choices being used to cross-subsidise STEM subjects.
    Given they would be paying lower fees than STEM students not really
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

nichomar said:

kle4 said:

I do believe it would have been a better approach if they had said "have your referendum but unless those voting yes amounted to more than 50% of the ecetrorate we will ignore it"

kle4 said:

TGOHF said:

Cardiff play in the Championship, have played in the EPL and won the FA Cup (once) and Berwick Rangers have played in the Scottish League for ever.
    Mr. kle4, I like a lot about Pillars of Eternity but there are rough edges (lack of pre-programmed tactics, loading screens, sudden shifts between voice-over and just text).

My impression - I wouldn't claim it's scientifically based - is that it's a mistake to think that younger voters can be appeased by some improvements to housing policy or cuts in tuition fees. The insurgency of the 18-50 generations is more a attitudinal phenomenon - they are just tired of bleak austerity with no end in sight, and want a government that seems to offer some hope of what they feel would be a better society.

That's why attacks on the affordability of Labour's student fee policy don't really cut through - people appreciate the intention, and have priced in that it might need to be phased in etc.

Have students appreciated this? What's the evidence.

Every party in Opposition (Tories, Labour, LibDems) believed in free tuition fees.

In Government, every party has failed to deliver this. And false promises on this destroyed Nick Clegg.

I think you're wrong. This is Jeremy's signature policy. It will have to be delivered. Or Jeremy will go the way of Clegg.

I think you have it right. It's about what people feel, and sometimes that's right and sometimes it isn't, but you can on,y tepees know things so much to affect that - peopke will dismiss the good you do because of their general feeling, I imagine e all governments feel like that at the end.
  • kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

Or vote Tory after appearing to be sensible human beings for years on Political forums!
    Touché.

But he's not evil.
    I am not sure there are any genuinely evil mainstream politicians in British politics. Nor do I believe there have been for most of the post war period. They are often self serving and venal, they are more often than not pretty dumb and show a horrible lack of understanding about what they should be doing. But even those I disagree with completely are, as a rule, doing what they think is best. It is usually methods rather than ends that we disagree with them over.

Ted Heath was a case in point. Probably the politician I disagreed with more than any other in my lifetime and certainly the one I think did the most damage to our country. But he did it because of beliefs that were unimpeachable. These were not misguided beliefs but ones I can whole heartedly agree with. I just think the conclusions he came to about how to achieve his aims and the actions he took were completely wrong. When you then see him as a human, particularly those excruciatingly painful interviews when he was being asked about his private life, you cannot help but have enormous empathy for the man.

Have students appreciated this? What's the evidence.

Every party in Opposition (Tories, Labour, LibDems) believed in free tuition fees.

In Government, every party has failed to deliver this. And false promises on this destroyed Nick Clegg.

I think you're wrong. This is Jeremy's signature policy. It will have to be delivered. Or Jeremy will go the way of Clegg.
    Yes, but to politicians the risk of that is worth it in order to get in in the first place. They always assume something will co e up and future them will figure it out.
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

An independent Catalonia will never be a member of the EU. Spain will veto it all day and every day.
    Which would also mean they would have to veto claims of a hypothetical independent Scotland to join the EU all day every day if Scotland ever had a second independence referendum which passed
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

PClipp said:

Touché.

But he's not evil.
    ĺ
    Boo fishing expedition ends early

I am off to Tezco even though it's mainly evil!
This discussion has been closed.