Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The inter-generational gap: The Pinch and the Punch

Comments

• Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

It is yet again worth pointing out that housing remains very affordable in most of the country.

The problems are largely confined to the South East.

In fact, some parts of the country are de-populating. & that means there are empty homes. despite the huge increase in UK population over the last fifty years, some parts of the country have nonetheless seen their populations decline.

There are many, many companies & organisations based in London who just do not need to be there and should move out.

+1

Absolutely.

I would only add that there are many people working in London who could do their jobs cheaper and more efficiently from a cheaper home outside London. How many daily commuters actually, physically need to be there?
    We need to prioritise home working as an aspect of this problem
    To develop this further, you can have a world-class University in a town or village (Princeton in New Jersey is an example).

There is no need for Imperial College, UCL and Queen Mary to be in London.

They should all move out.

The land they own in Kensington, Bloomsbury & Mile End is worth a fortune. They could all move out, build new campuses elsewhere and make money in the process.

They could invigorate small towns that desperately need influxes of new people. And the housing costs of their staff & student would be hugely reduced.

You think their students, and all their high paying international students in particular, don't find being in London a significant part of the attraction?

Well, its a view.
    You think Princeton is not a nice place? You think it can't attract international students?

Think again, my friend.
  • Options
    Moment of silence please....

Let's Make a Deal game show host Monty Hall dies at 96
    http://news.sky.com/story/lets-make-a-deal-game-show-host-monty-hall-dies-at-96-11062485
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,005
    Heseltine says after the German election a deal could be done with the EU on immigration making Brexit unnecessary and helping the Tories win back younger voters
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    HYUFD said:

Heseltine says after the German election a deal could be done with the EU on immigration making Brexit unnecessary and helping the Tories win back younger voters

He was saying only just the other day they no longer care about anything we do or that we are leaving, why would they now care about making a deal?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,296
    HYUFD said:

Heseltine claims he was a 'loyal supporter of Mrs Thatcher' until he left the cabinet while Boris is undermining her within it

He is aware that Maggie is not actually in charge any more, yes?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

It is always a bit awkward given our culture elevates democratic will and mandate above nearly all else - certainly above following the rules, man, as any pop culture tells us - that doing so is intrinsically 'the right thing' even against the rules, it is awkward when we, or in this case Spain, responds so aggressively to an attempt to vote, even if it is indeed against the law and given the disruptions hardly a credible vote.

Internationally I Think southam is right this nets them more support, but governments are holding firm behind Spain I think?

Well the EU is holding firm behind them but then the EU has never really had much truck with democracy anyway.

This has very little to do with the EU. It's not as if other governments elsewhere are backing Catalan UDI. What we have in Spain is a right wing, nationalist government, with its roots in Francoism, doing everything in its power to turn what had been a minority cause in Catalonia into a majority one. Today's violence will now see a major shift in international opinion. The separatists have won.

However if it splits Spain and sees Catalonia join the EU after many EU nations might start to think about whether they want their countries potentially all split into regions of an EU superstate
    An independent Catalonia will never be a member of the EU. Spain will veto it all day and every day.
    Which would also mean they would have to veto claims of a hypothetical independent Scotland to join the EU all day every day if Scotland ever had a second independence referendum which passed
    Why? What is this obsession with consistency?
    If an independent Scotland joined the EU it would be almost impossible ftland
    It could find a way to argue the two situations are different. This is Europe, political fudge is our meal of choice.
    Not of course that it seems Spain is going to allow an independent Catalonia anyway though whether Catalonia declares UDI is another matter
    Well indeed - another reason the heavy handedness is unnecessary.
    What all these independence needs is more devolved powers as Canada ultimately gave Quebec and Brown promised in 2014 in 'the vow'.

Repression just makes it worse
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. HYUFD, hmm.

Hmm.

Hmm.

I think Heseltine's pro-EU optimism may have clouded his judgement a shade.
  • Options

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

It is yet again worth pointing out that housing remains very affordable in most of the country.

In fact, some parts of the country are de-populating. & that means there are empty homes. despite the huge increase in UK population over the last fifty years, some parts of the country have nonetheless seen their populations decline.

There are many, many companies & organisations based in London who just do not need to be there and should move out.

+1

Absolutely.

I would only add that there are many people working in London who could do their jobs cheaper and more efficiently from a cheaper home outside London. How many daily commuters actually, physically need to be there?
    To develop this further, you can have a world-class University in a town or village (Princeton in New Jersey is an example).

The land they own in Kensington, Bloomsbury & Mile End is worth a fortune. They could all move out, build new campuses elsewhere and make money in the process.

They could invigorate small towns that desperately need influxes of new people. And the housing costs of their staff & student would be hugely reduced.

You think their students, and all their high paying international students in particular, don't find being in London a significant part of the attraction?

Well, its a view.
    You think Princeton is not a nice place? You think it can't attract international students?

Think again, my friend.
    I'm sure Princeton is a lovely place, as is St Andrews, but then, sadly, I am not 18 anymore.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Not really keeping up with Spanish politics. Are the government leftwing commies or the remnants of the right wing Franco fascists?
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,973
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

Theresa May facing tough questions from Marr

For a brief moment I was actually quite impressed by her. She showed some fighting spirit talking about a run on the pound under Labour.
    She is under colossal pressure and you have to wonder how most anyone would just not walk away, no matter one's opinion of her she must have amazing fortitude and determination - she is at least a serious politician
    More like a stubborn fool G, out of her depth but too pig headed to take the principled decision.
    She's saving us from a Johnson premiership though.
    That buffoon would never get elected
    Tell that to Ken Livingstone
    He was streets ahead of Boris, and that is saying something
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Surely the other key question is why it costs £9000 a year for a history degree with 10 hours a week (over about 30 weeks) of contact time?

It doesn't. Usually it costs about £2-3,000.

However, it can cost up to £30,000 to train a science graduate, and since they can't charge full fees for that, they need to recruit as many cheaper students in history, English, politics, business, art etc to make up the shortfall.

The other elephant in the e whole.
    Which is why arts degree fees should be cut given they are both cheaper to run and have a lower graduate earnings premium and Hammond is sensibly looking at this while subsidising STEM courses which would still charge £9000
    Yes, but despite all that many students still prefer to study history, literature etc. They can quite rightly object to their choices being used to cross-subsidise STEM subjects.
    They can object but it wouldn't be 'quite rightly'. Why should the tax payer subsidise students studying courses that will bring only marginal benefit to the country rather than those which have real practical benefits. If we were not short of STEM graduates you would perhaps have a point but when both money and those with the right skills are lacking it is surely the job of the Government to target the taxpayer's money to where it would best benefit the country.
    The Government no longer funds places on humanities courses, whereas it still does provide funding for places on STEM courses. The logic of the marketisation of HE (which incidentally I don't support) is that universities should be able to offer places on low cost courses such as English literature and history for much less than £9,250 a year.
    The government is proposing fees for humanities courses can be cut
    Yes, I think the reason universities haven't done this - and probably won't in future (despite market logic suggesting they should) is because most academics still support the ideal of a university with a broad curriculum that embraces all fields of knowledge.
    All very well but not all courses have the same graduate earning premium, someone studying Medicine, Engineering or Economics will earn significantly more post graduation than someone studying English, History or Art.

Ironically if fees for humanities subjects remain too high that will reduce demand and numbers for them more than if they were cut
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,975
    DavidL

I think it often comes as a surprise to international students who have enrolled at Royal Holloway, University of London, to find that they are not actually in London! However, given that it is such a beautiful campus, and the fact there is a train to London every half hour, they usually come to accept it.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Not really keeping up with Spanish politics. Are the government leftwing commies or the remnants of the right wing Franco fascists?
    Franco Fascists.
  • Options
    Looks like Boris has won the Luntz focus group from Sunday Politics clips but we will see shortly
  • Options
    DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

+1

Absolutely.

Well, its a view.
    Some would and some wouldn't. There's no shortage of students, including high paying international students, in cities and towns all over the UK.

If the options are UCL Bloomsbury at £9k pa or UCL Peterborough at £6k pa which would students chose ?

Perhaps the universities in London, Oxford and Cambridge should open outstation colleges in towns which are cheap but still have good communications.
  • Options

Mr. HYUFD, hmm.

Hmm.

Hmm.

I think Heseltine's pro-EU optimism may have clouded his judgement a shade.

Just a tad
  • Options
    DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

Heseltine claims he was a 'loyal supporter of Mrs Thatcher' until he left the cabinet while Boris is undermining her within it

I think he meant May in relation to Boris
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

He was saying only just the other day they no longer care about anything we do or that we are leaving, why would they now care about making a deal?
    Due to rising right-wing anti immigration populism on the continent in his view
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    You might think that, but Mason (and others) couldn't possibly comment.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

dixiedean said:

+1

Absolutely.

Not to mention LSE with numerous 7 and 8 storey blocks just off Aldwych.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:
    Needs not wants. Anyway, a lot of it is about poverty of imagination. Courtyard blocks are common across much of Europe, use space very efficiently and can be very stylish.
    Agree with this. I grew up in such a home in Italy and it was great. Well built mansion blocks, particularly if you "green" them with roof terraces and balconies, can be a good alternative and make a sensible use of the space we already have within cities.

The key is to build them well rather than the shoddy gimcrack flats that too many large houses have been turned into.
    I live on the first floor of a five storey mansion block in Barnes. It was built in 1908. Very solid and soundproof. We have a balcony with table and chairs where I smoke a cigar, sipping my cognac surveying the Barnes scene. It has a rather nice entrance and staircase at the front and a more scruffy servant staircase at the back that our porter uses. It is multinational with young and old. Our frequent parties in the communal gardens are spent moaning about Brexit (as well as drinking). I know all my neighbours and it has the feel of a grand Cambridge college staircase. Highly recommended. About £1 million per apartment.
    I have a 4 bedroom detached house with front and back gardens, a garage, a study, a conservatory with views of the hills and a drive way big enough for 3 cars. Nice neighbours too. £300K on a good day.
    I have similar , minus conservatory, ensuite , cloakroom and countryside views , will not be much above £200K on a good day. Bet its not as big and palatial as yours though David.
    Nothing palatial about this Malcolm. It's a glorified Betts Box from the early 90s. But house prices are not the problem in Scotland outside the posher parts of Edinburgh. The problem is not enough people earning sufficient to build up deposits and pay the mortgage. At the moment house builders could build plenty more houses on already approved sites if the demand was there.
    David, I was joking so hopefully did not upset you in any way. No Betts on west coast but they built good houses. We certainly don't appreciate how lucky we are, given location etc yet we get houses for a fraction of the prices down south and none of the overcrowding and packed roads to put up with
  • Options
    The irony is that at least some of those voters, particularly the (literally) bleeding pensioners, are likely to have been No voters.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2017
    Just a point on unis in cheaper towns. Places like Warwick (not in Warwick, a field on the outskirts of coventry), Exeter and Loughborough are all newish unis and consistent ranked in top 10-15 unis in the country and extremely popular. It is how well ranked, facilities and earning potential that makes so oversubscribed.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745
    HYUFD said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Due to rising right-wing anti immigration populism on the continent in his view
    Rising from last week when he was saying how they don't care about whether we stay or go anymore?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

HYUFD said:

I think he meant May in relation to Boris
    With Hezza you can never be entirely certain.
  • Options
    ' Fee repayment thresholds will also rise, so graduates will start paying back loans once they earn £25,000, rather than £21,000, the PM said. '

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41456555

Will we seen editorials in the London Evening Standard denouncing this increase ?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    F1: counter-intuitive, but Vandoorne has now scored more points than Alonso.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    OchEye said:

Think it is the Franco way, usually right wing that use para military units to rough up the public
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,536
    edited October 2017

I'd free local authorities to hoover up BTL homes being sold cheap by landlords who decided there wasn't enough profit in it. Borrowing to buy a cheap asset makes sense as an investment especially when it fulfils a community purpose.

We can't keep on building more and more and more houses. The developers charter the Tories brought in already means that residents and councils and planning officers can do little to stop developers building the wrong kinds of houses in the wrong locations. Scrap the NPPF is another good step.

Can you identify any BTL property being sold cheaply by a landlord who says there is no profit in it. A large majority of BTL landlords are in it for the long term as an investment sometimes as a pension fund
    Not at the moment. But if rent controls smash the rate they can charge in places like London...
    Then there will be far less investment in Housing, and ultimately we will be to the squalid situation before the 1988 Housing Act where tenants refuse eg upgraded kitchens and bathrooms and double glazing and safety improvements because that will be one of the exceptions allowing an increase.

Further rental investment will be choked off because that kind of rent control kills value - an "Assured Tenancy" (ie protected) as opposed to an Assured Shorthold Tenancy reduces the value of a property by anything between 30% and 70%. That is to the extent that there is a long term speculative market in buying houses with Assured Tenancies with the price and reward based on the expected death of the tenant, when the value will soar. Single tenant in their 80s with no living relatives = more valuable house.

And you end up with a 2 tier market for people with inside / privileged connections or not.

See, for example, New York.

And if they go for the "rent rises up to inflation" option (see various places in Europe), then that may actually be an opportunity for rents to rise more quickly because UK private rents have been rising behind inflation for decades.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

Madrid government = Partido Popular = right wing conservatives. PP spend a lot of time denying that they're the heirs to Franco; draw your own conclusions.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:
    Needs not wants. Anyway, a lot of it is about poverty of imagination. Courtyard blocks are common across much of Europe, use space very efficiently and can be very stylish.
    Agree with this. I grew up in such a home in Italy and it was great. Well built mansion blocks, particularly if you "green" them with roof terraces and balconies, can be a good alternative and make a sensible use of the space we already have within cities.

The key is to build them well rather than the shoddy gimcrack flats that too many large houses have been turned into.
    I live on the first floor of a five storey mansion block in Barnes. It was built in 1908. Very solid and soundproof. We have a balcony with table and chairs where I smoke a cigar, sipping my cognac surveying the Barnes scene. It has a rather nice entrance and staircase at the front and a more scruffy servant staircase at the back that our porter uses. It is multinational with young and old. Our frequent parties in the communal gardens are spent moaning about Brexit (as well as drinking). I know all my neighbours and it has the feel of a grand Cambridge college staircase. Highly recommended. About £1 million per apartment.
    I have a 4 bedroom detached house with front and back gardens, a garage, a study, a conservatory with views of the hills and a drive way big enough for 3 cars. Nice neighbours too. £300K on a good day.
    I have similar , minus conservatory, ensuite , cloakroom and countryside views , will not be much above £200K on a good day. Bet its not as big and palatial as yours though David.
    Nothing palatial about this Malcolm. It's a glorified Betts Box from the early 90s. But house prices are not the problem in Scotland outside the posher parts of Edinburgh. The problem is not enough people earning sufficient to build up deposits and pay the mortgage. At the moment house builders could build plenty more houses on already approved sites if the demand was there.
    David, I was joking so hopefully did not upset you in any way. No Betts on west coast but they built good houses. We certainly don't appreciate how lucky we are, given location etc yet we get houses for a fraction of the prices down south and none of the overcrowding and packed roads to put up with
    When I was working I used to get upset if there was a car in front of me on the way to the Office!!!!
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

No offence taken Malcolm, none at all. Its just we (and most of England north of Luton) have very different but very real housing problems.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    Has the case for on-line voting hardened in Catalonia?
  • Options

The irony is that at least some of those voters, particularly the (literally) bleeding pensioners, are likely to have been No voters.
    Absolutely but now they will be yes in a big way
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

dixiedean said:

+1

Absolutely.

That's an interesting idea -although TBF, UCL is doing just that with it's gradual move to Stratford

You do need to consider economic clustering. For example, my School (in Bloomsbury) considered relocating outside of Central London but decided the synergies from being close to the Crick and the Wellcome Trust (principally the ability to attract to ranked professors) outweighed the costs
  • Options

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

When I was working I used to get upset if there was a car in front of me on the way to the Office!!!!
    G , I spent time living in Hemel Hempstead are and also Hampshire and traffic was horrific, not worth going out on holidays/weekends. Here I can go anywhere , get ferries , clear roads etc any time.
    Only busy if you go into Glasgow at commuting times, which I never do nowadays.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Has the case for on-line voting hardened in Catalonia?

Spain closed down the website as well.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pbhouses.com xD

No comment
  • Options

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Was it the guy with the flag walking in front that upset you, make your horse fidget.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    As we are on the subject, me and my girlfriend have just purchased a 3 bedroom new-build on the outskirts of Newcastle upon Tyne. £220k. Cant wait for it to be built!
  • Options
    calum said:
    What article 7 actually says:

1. On a reasoned proposal by one third of the Member States, by the European Parliament or by the European Commission, the Council, acting by a majority of four fifths of its members after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament, may determine that there is a clear risk of a serious breach by a Member State of the values referred to in Article 2. Before making such a determination, the Council shall hear the Member State in question and may address recommendations to it, acting in accordance with the same procedure. The Council shall regularly verify that the grounds on which such a determination was made continue to apply.

2. The European Council, acting by unanimity on a proposal by one third of the Member States or by the European Commission and after obtaining the consent of the European Parliament, may determine the existence of a serious and persistent breach by a Member State of the values referred to in Article 2 after inviting the Member State in question to submit its observations.

3. Where a determination under paragraph 2 has been made, the Council, acting by a qualified majority, may decide to suspend certain of the rights deriving from the application of the Treaties to the Member State in question, including the voting rights of the representative of the government of that Member State in the Council. In doing so, the Council shall take into account the possible consequences of such a suspension on the rights and obligations of natural and legal persons.

The obligations of the Member State in question under the Treaties shall in any case continue to be binding on that State.

4. The Council, acting by a qualified majority, may decide subsequently to vary or revoke measures taken under paragraph 3 in response to changes in the situation which led to their being imposed.

5. The voting arrangements applying to the European Parliament, the European Council and the Council for the purposes of this Article are laid down in Article 354of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Someone said:

You think students prefer to be paying a fortune to live in a hovel ? You think academic staff like to have a long commute to Bloomsbury or Kensington ?

St Albans to UCL seems to be a commute of well under an hour :-)

Do these Metropolitans even know that they are born?

Perhaps that helps explain why we have a chorus of complaints about investment outside London, whilst a strange chorus of silence about the £10s of billions thrown at eg Cross Rail.

(I hope I have my blockquotes right)
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

ydoethur said:

Was it the guy with the flag walking in front that upset you, make your horse fidget.
    Good one but the one and only time I have been on a horse it lasted less than 30 seconds as I fell off
  • Options

dixiedean said:

+1

Absolutely.

This.
    I doubt the students who come to study in one of the world's great metropolises are going to be enthused if their campus is moved to St Mary Mead.

Since all the out of London universities are opening campuses in London, the demand to study in London seems buoyant.
    International students, in particular, want to study in London.
    So? Public institutions should be able the public good not business plans
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Passing Finsbury on the tube. What a dump lol
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,232
    edited October 2017
    @YBarddCwsc

I think the dynamic is a bit different in this country. The classic case you describe would be Lampeter, which appears to be being run down prior to expected closure because it's so remote it can't attract students. In England, I'm guessing although I can't prove t that the smallest university town would be Lichfield (as Hartpury is not really a university and is a special case anyway) which is also being run down prior to closure and everything moved to Stoke. Otherwise all England's universities seem to be in fair-sized towns - at 50,000 Durham is hardly small. Even in Scotland the universities are either in largish places (Inverness) or have decent transport links (Stirling) or are very special and unique and attract students by trading on that (St Andrews).
  • Options
    My wife just watching Sky news this morning - ' shocking, absolutely shocking'

I think that will be the response Europe wide

Shameful - 38 injured so far
  • Options
    Charles said:

dixiedean said:

+1

Absolutely.

This.
    I doubt the students who come to study in one of the world's great metropolises are going to be enthused if their campus is moved to St Mary Mead.

Since all the out of London universities are opening campuses in London, the demand to study in London seems buoyant.
    Universities are not public institutions.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    David Davis and JRM both done well with Luntz focus group of Tories and floating votes. Hammond done very badly with the same focus group, 'dull, boring and bland' and no compassion
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

David Davis and JRM both done well with Luntz focus group of Tories and floating votes

Good
  • Options
    DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

+1

Absolutely.

Well, its a view.
    Suspect if you moved out of London and reduced the fees you would still get significant demand. The reduction in costs would also allow for the reduction in domestic fees
  • Options
    CopperSulphateCopperSulphate Posts: 1,119
    edited October 2017
    I wonder whether this Catalonia shambles has made Scottish independence less likely.

The difference between the way the British and Spanish governments have handled the issue must have made a few Scots think that being part of Britain isn't all that bad after all.

It also makes Sturgeon's bleating appear even more ludicrous.
  • Options
    Boris did very well initially but less well on his post Queen's speech interview.

Rudd not seen as leadership material
  • Options

I wonder whether this Catalonia shambles has made Scottish independence less likely.

The difference between the way the British and Spanish governments have handled the issue must have made a few Scots think that being part of Britain isn't all that bad after all.

I think that's pitching it strong. Those who believe Scotland would be better governed away from England are not going to be convinced otherwise merely because they have just been reminded that with all its faults the government in London respects their democratic freedom.

It's making Catalan independence a racing certainty, however.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Someone said:

You think students prefer to be paying a fortune to live in a hovel ? You think academic staff like to have a long commute to Bloomsbury or Kensington ?

St Albans to UCL seems to be a commute of well under an hour :-)

Do these Metropolitans even know that they are born?

Perhaps that helps explain why we have a chorus of complaints about investment outside London, whilst a strange chorus of silence about the £10s of billions thrown at eg Cross Rail.

(I hope I have my blockquotes right)
    It should be noted that HS2, of which construction is to start in London, is already being used as a reason as to why CrossRail2 is 'necessary'.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    OchEye said:

nichomar said:

kle4 said:

It is always a bit awkward given our culture elevates democratic will and mandate above nearly all else - certainly above following the rules, man, as any pop culture tells us - that doing so is intrinsically 'the right thing' even against the rules, it is awkward when we, or in this case Spain, responds so aggressively to an attempt to vote, even if it is indeed against the law and given the disruptions hardly a credible vote.

Internationally I Think southam is right this nets them more support, but governments are holding firm behind Spain I think?

Well the EU is holding firm behind them but then the EU has never really had much truck with democracy anyway.
    Ithink the Spanish goverment think if Catolonia was to achieve independace then who next, the Basque Region, Galacia even Valencia (unlikely imo) the shadow of Franco still lingers and infuences decisions be it a fear of it returning or as an excuse to make it happen.
    The regions of France, Italy, Netherlands, the Landers of Germany and others would be encouraged to try and secede. The administration of the now 27 is difficult enough - how much more "fun" would it be for a hundred or so.....
    And as the EU moves towards becoming a single country, then regions within existing countries are likely to split off and want to do their own thing.

Spain must realise that shooting baton rounds at voters is not going to go down well internationally.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Focus group eliminates Hammond and Rudd then Boris.

They also do not want May to lead the party into the next general election, Luntz final focus group decision is a split between JRM and David Davis to lead the Tories into the next general election 12 each
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

OchEye said:

nichomar said:

kle4 said:

Ithink the Spanish goverment think if Catolonia was to achieve independace then who next, the Basque Region, Galacia even Valencia (unlikely imo) the shadow of Franco still lingers and infuences decisions be it a fear of it returning or as an excuse to make it happen.
    The regions of France, Italy, Netherlands, the Landers of Germany and others would be encouraged to try and secede. The administration of the now 27 is difficult enough - how much more "fun" would it be for a hundred or so.....
    And as the EU moves towards becoming a single country, then regions within existing countries are likely to split off and want to do their own thing.

Spain must realise that shooting baton rounds at voters is not going to go down well internationally.
    But according to junker if only the EU was a much closer union all these problems will go away...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

They also do not want May to lead the party into the next general election, Luntz final focus group decision is a split between JRM and David Davis to lead the Tories into the next general election 12 each

Interesting if they were put to the members
  • Options
    Charles said:

dixiedean said:

+1

Absolutely.

This.

Which raises the question what are Universities for? Are they for the benefit of wealthy young people from overseas to fill their Instagram with pictures of Merrie Olde London. Or are they to educate the populace and build a stronger economy?
    My view is that there is not much point in having world class institutions like LSE and Imperial as well as their minor associates if British students can't even consider attending.
    Besides would foreigners be greatly put off if they find themselves in Bromley or Enfield rather than Bloomsbury?
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,975
    edited October 2017
    Charles said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

+1

Absolutely.

Well, its a view.
    Suspect if you moved out of London and reduced the fees you would still get significant demand. The reduction in costs would also allow for the reduction in domestic fees
    The 'gold, silver, bronze' ratings of the Teaching Excellence Framework are probably the most meaningless metric that the Government has ever dreamt up, but it'll be interesting to see if the low ratings of most London institutions will have any impact on their recruitment of students (both domestic and international). I suspect it won't, but it will be worth watching what happens to LSE, especially, in the wake of their bronze.
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    No government in British history has lost its majority, stayed in power and then got it back again at the next election. For this government to be the first, it has to do something revolutionary and not just tinker.

At the same time no opposition in British history has ever won a majority without being at least 15 points ahead in the polls between elections. The striking thing about today's Yougov poll is that Labour is only 1 point ahead, something which even Neil Kinnock and Ed Miliband bettered.

All this suggests that the most likely outcome of the next election is a hung parliament with Labour as the biggest party -unless the Tories do something revolutionarty to buck history.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

dixiedean said:

+1

Absolutely.

This.

Yes they are, in the wider sense of the word.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

There would be a certain irony if David Davis, who emphasised his pro-EPP stance in the 2005 leadership election before losing to a more charismatic politician who wanted to smash it, reversed the process by riding Brexit to seize the premiership ahead of his more charismatic rivals.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I think that's pitching it strong. Those who believe Scotland would be better governed away from England are not going to be convinced otherwise merely because they have just been reminded that with all its faults the government in London respects their democratic freedom.

I agree. I don't think it will change many Scot's minds about how they would vote in another referendum but I do think it makes us all grateful that the overwhelming majority of people across the UK can see the rights and wrongs of this and recognise that people must be allowed to have their say even if we don't necessarily like the result.

I would hope and expect the same applies to most of Europe. It strikes me that Spain is the exception rather than the rule in this case.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

There would be a certain irony if David Davis, who emphasised his pro-EPP stance in the 2005 leadership election before losing to a more charismatic politician who wanted to smash it, reversed the process by riding Brexit to seize the premiership ahead of his more charismatic rivals.
    It would also be a reversal of the 2005 Luntz where David Cameron beat David Davis
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

@YBarddCwsc

I think the dynamic is a bit different in this country. The classic case you describe would be Lampeter, which appears to be being run down prior to expected closure because it's so remote it can't attract students. In England, I'm guessing although I can't prove t that the smallest university town would be Lichfield (as Hartpury is not really a university and is a special case anyway) which is also being run down prior to closure and everything moved to Stoke. Otherwise all England's universities seem to be in fair-sized towns - at 50,000 Durham is hardly small. Even in Scotland the universities are either in largish places (Inverness) or have decent transport links (Stirling) or are very special and unique and attract students by trading on that (St Andrews).

Do not forget that in places like Durham perhaps 20% (nearly 30% if they all live in the town from the University alone) or more of the population are full-time students.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

dixiedean said:

+1

Absolutely.

This.

In a very wide sense of the word. The government sets a regulatory framework but it cannot actually force them to do anything. They are private charitable trusts and are entitled to act as they see fit.

We saw that when that dodgy old git Leighton Andrews tried to force through multiple mergers in Welsh HE and couldn't manage it - he achieved precisely one that wouldn't have happened anyway and that was only because the VC at Newport fell ill at the wrong moment.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,082
    edited October 2017
    Pulpstar said:

Passing Finsbury on the tube. What a dump lol

Is it different to what you see from the ECML ?
  • Options
    MattW said:

ydoethur said:

@YBarddCwsc

Do not forget that in places like Durham perhaps 20% (nearly 30% if they all live in the town from the University alone) or more of the population are full-time students.
    That's excluding the student population.

I was at Aberystwyth - even higher ratio.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    dixiedean said:

Charles said:

dixiedean said:

The problems are largely confined to the South Eastir populations decline.

+1

Absolutely.

This.

Which raises the question what are Universities for? Are they for the benefit of wealthy young people from overseas to fill their Instagram with pictures of Merrie Olde London. Or are they to educate the populace and build a stronger economy?
    My view is that there is not much point in having world class institutions like LSE and Imperial as well as their minor associates if British students can't even consider attending.
    Besides would foreigners be greatly put off if they find themselves in Bromley or Enfield rather than Bloomsbury?
    I wouldn't go quite as far as you, but agree with the general view. Universities are about educating our own (and research) not earning fees from abroad. Clearly there is a role for international students and, even more so, academics but at the moment the balance is wrong
  • Options
    stevef said:

No government in British history has lost its majority, stayed in power and then got it back again at the next election. For this government to be the first, it has to do something revolutionary and not just tinker.

At the same time no opposition in British history has ever won a majority without being at least 15 points ahead in the polls between elections. The striking thing about today's Yougov poll is that Labour is only 1 point ahead, something which even Neil Kinnock and Ed Miliband bettered.

All this suggests that the most likely outcome of the next election is a hung parliament with Labour as the biggest party -unless the Tories do something revolutionarty to buck history.

In some ways a Corbyn minority government propped up by the SNP and the LDs with the Tories having a real chance of winning the general election after would be better for the blues than a narrow Tory win next time followed by a landslide Labour win under a non Corbyn leader the general election after and 10-15 years of Labour government.

However there is no question the latter would be better for the country than the former.
  • Options

My wife just watching Sky news this morning - ' shocking, absolutely shocking'

I think that will be the response Europe wide

Shameful - 38 injured so far

Yes and not a squeak from our politicians or the EU. You expect that from the right wing Tories , but what weasels those great internationalists of labour are.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I agree. I don't think it will change many Scot's minds about how they would vote in another referendum but I do think it makes us all grateful that the overwhelming majority of people across the UK can see the rights and wrongs of this and recognise that people must be allowed to have their say even if we don't necessarily like the result.

I would hope and expect the same applies to most of Europe. It strikes me that Spain is the exception rather than the rule in this case.
    Scottish Labour appear not to be in the 'majority', lots of tweets about respecting the law & illegal referendums.

Has Internationalist Jez commented yet?
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886

Charles said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

+1

Absolutely.

Well, its a view.
    The 'gold, silver, bronze' ratings of the Teaching Excellence Framework are probably the most meaningless metric that the Government has ever dreamt up, but it'll be interesting to see if the low ratings of most London institutions will have any impact on their recruitment of students (both domestic and international). I suspect it won't, but it will be worth watching what happens to LSE, especially, in the wake of their bronze.
    The TEF is awful, it somehow tries to measure the quality of the education universities provide without measuring the quality of teaching.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

dixiedean said:

Inpopulations decline.

+1

Absolutely.

This.

In a very wide sense of the word. The government sets a regulatory framework but it cannot actually force them to do anything. They are private charitable trusts and are entitled to act as they see fit.

We saw that when that dodgy old git Leighton Andrews tried to force through multiple mergers in Welsh HE and couldn't manage it - he achieved precisely one that wouldn't have happened anyway and that was only because the VC at Newport fell ill at the wrong moment.
    You are talking about ownership,

I am referring to their stakeholders.

If they want to be fully private: fine. But why should the government help fund them via student fee support?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Interesting if they were put to the members
    Would be with David Davis the moderate candidate ironically, the reverse of 2005 when he was the more rightwing candidate. Though also some desire for a fresh face
  • Options

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

Surely the other key question is why it costs £9000 a year for a history degree with 10 hours a week (over about 30 weeks) of contact time?

However, it can cost up to £30,000 to train a science graduate, and since they can't charge full fees for that, they need to recruit as many cheaper students in history, English, politics, business, art etc to make up the shortfall.

The other elephant in the room is Education - strangely, that's one of the more expensive degrees because of fees paid to schools. Which is of course why the DfE are frantically closing down education departments and moving to SCITT routes, even though they know this is a less effective way of training on the whole.
    Which is why arts degree fees should be cut given they are both cheaper to run and have a lower graduate earnings premium and Hammond is sensibly looking at this while subsidising STEM courses which would still charge £9000
    Yes, but despite all that many students still prefer to study history, literature etc. They can quite rightly object to their choices being used to cross-subsidise STEM subjects.
    They can object but it wouldn't be 'quite rightly'. Why should the tax payer subsidise students studying courses that will bring only marginal benefit to the country rather than those which have real practical benefits. If we were not short of STEM graduates you would perhaps have a point but when both money and those with the right skills are lacking it is surely the job of the Government to target the taxpayer's money to where it would best benefit the country.
    Yep, do it the other way around. Charge £15k fees on liberal arts degrees, to make STEM degrees £3k. We need STEM graduates so should incentivise them.
  • Options

I wonder whether this Catalnia shambles has made Scottish independence less likely.

It is only seen as bleating to sad Little Englanders like you. Sounds like you prefer the Spanish way. We will have our say again when we want it despite the London Dictator outlawing it. No democracy in the UK given the Scottish parliament voted by a majority for a second vote.
  • Options
    Charles said:

If they want to be fully private: fine. But why should the government help fund them via student fee support?

A question quite a number of Russell Group institutions appear to be asking if my sources are to be believed given the inadequacy of the fee support, or tuition grant.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

I wonder whether this Catalnia shambles has made Scottish independence less likely.

It is only seen as bleating to sad Little Englanders like you. Sounds like you prefer the Spanish way. We will have our say again when we want it despite the London Dictator outlawing it. No democracy in the UK given the Scottish parliament voted by a majority for a second vote.
    The SNP got just 37% in June, down from 50% in 2015.

Canada did eventually give Quebec a second independence referendum in 1995 but only 15 years after the first in 1980.

On that basis if there is to be a second Scottish independence referendum it will not be until 2029.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

To be accurate, they voted by a narrow majority to petition Westminster for a second ballot.

Then came the election and they dropped the request.

I very much doubt however if Theresa May would have ordered riot police to shoot at pro-independence voters. She would just have ignored the result unless it was something like 60% of eligible voters in favour.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

The other elephant in the room is Education - strangely, that's one of the more expensive degrees because of fees paid to schools. Which is of course why the DfE are frantically closing down education departments and moving to SCITT routes, even though they know this is a less effective way of training on the whole.
    Yep, do it the other way around. Charge £15k fees on liberal arts degrees, to make STEM degrees £3k. We need STEM graduates so should incentivise them.
    No, that is ridiculous, we need some arts students to run theatres, museums, galleries, teach, research and staff the creative industries etc. Given on average they earn significantly less than STEM students their fees should be less than those for STEM students. However government should subsidise STEM courses more than arts courses as the country really needs them and they cost more to run
  • Options

Charles said:

DavidL said:

dixiedean said:

+1

Absolutely.

Well, its a view.
    Teaching has never been emphasised as a priority at LSE. I had a tutor who when I went to ask about an essay took me to the window and pointed. There is the library. You will find the answers there.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Canada did eventually give Quebec a second independence referendum in 1995 but only 15 years after the first in 1980.

On that basis if there is to be a second Scottish independence referendum it will not be until 2029.
    To slightly misquote the greatest Scotsman of them all, these Scottish generations are making an old man of me!
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scottish Labour appear not to be in the 'majority', lots of tweets about respecting the law & illegal referendums.

I hadn't seen that. Very sad that they are on the wrong side of the moral line on this.
  • Options
    VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,435
    I think that the cathedral city of St Albans would love to have a university of its own. The law faculty of the University of Hertfordshire used to be based in St Albans, due to St Albans having a Crown Court, but that moved to Hatfield after the new campus opened.

However cheap house prices for students and academics would not be a good reason, as St Albans has high prices due to the quick and easy Thameslink service to St Pancras (handy for the Crick Institute) and onwards to the City and then London Bridge (from 2018).

However it does has good culture. Can I beg forgiveness for plugging a concert next Saturday (7 October) in the Cathedral in which I am singing. Music written this decade, one piece based on Keats’ Ode to a Nightingale, and the other on the life of Alan Turing.

https://www.stalbanscathedral.org/whatson/music/codebreaker
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

So I'll put you down as a maybe?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

OchEye said:

nichomar said:

kle4 said:

Once there is an EU army then this will be the scene at any former country wanting to leave the EU.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

OchEye said:

Madrid government = Partido Popular = right wing conservatives. PP spend a lot of time denying that they're the heirs to Franco; draw your own conclusions.
    Thanks, I was wondering why there wasn't much condemnation from the Tories or the Daily Mail. Reminds me of the "Lurve In" by Thatcher and Dacre with Pinochet.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

You thick, no mention of SNP. The Scottish parliament voted by a majority to have a second referendum
    PS: to cover ydoethur's pedantry , it was to petition our Lords and Masters at Westminster to allow us the power to be able to think for ourselves.
  • Options

Britain Elects‏ @britainelects 49m49 minutes ago
    More
    Londoners // The decision to revoke Uber's license was the...

Right decision: 43%
    Wrong decision: 31%

Wow, good to see the real story (rather than Uber’s expensive spin) get through to the public.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Thanks, I was wondering why there wasn't much condemnation from the Tories or the Daily Mail. Reminds me of the "Lurve In" by Thatcher and Dacre with Pinochet.
    Its the top story on the daily mail website and they have embedded the worst of the videos and images. They are hardly sweeping it under the carpet.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

I hadn't seen that. Very sad that they are on the wrong side of the moral line on this.
    Tbf Kezia seems to have recovered her moral compass.

https://twitter.com/kezdugdale/status/914445394993696769
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Charles said:

A question quite a number of Russell Group institutions appear to be asking if my sources are to be believed given the inadequacy of the fee support, or tuition grant.
    The Buckingham model works well in my view - not right for everyone but an interesting option
  • Options

Sandpit said:

OchEye said:

nichomar said:

kle4 said:

Once there is an EU army then this will be the scene at any former country wanting to leave the EU.
    Unfortunately Spain is giving a whole new meaning to Malcolm X's famous question about ballots or bullets. They're merging the two.

Bearing in mind that the entire referendum could have been avoided if Rajoy hadn't reneged on that deal about new powers, this is an utter shambles that should cause the collapse of the Spanish government.
  • Options
    OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Nah. Just realpolitik. We can't afford to piss off Spain just now
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

To slightly misquote the greatest Scotsman of them all, these Scottish generations are making an old man of me!
    It will likely be another generation or two before the question is asked again
This discussion has been closed.