Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The inter-generational gap: The Pinch and the Punch

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited October 2017
    malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

I wonder whether this Catalnia shambles has made Scottish independence less likely.

The difference between the way the British and Spanish governments have handled the issue must have made a few Scots think that being part of Britain isn't all that bad after all.

It also makes Sturgeon's bleating appear even more ludicrous.

It is only seen as bleating to sad Little Englanders like you. Sounds like you prefer the Spanish way. We will have our say again when we want it despite the London Dictator outlawing it. No democracy in the UK given the Scottish parliament voted by a majority for a second vote.
    The SNP got just 37% in June, down from 50% in 2015.

Canada did eventually give Quebec a second independence referendum in 1995 but only 15 years after the first in 1980.

On that basis if there is to be a second Scottish independence referendum it will not be until 2029.
    You thick, no mention of SNP. The Scottish parliament voted by a majority to have a second referendum
    PS: to cover ydoethur's pedantry , it was to petition our Lords and Masters at Westminster to allow us the power to be able to think for ourselves.
    The Scottish people then voted overwhelmingly not to have another one in June when the combined SNP and Green vote (which produced the pro referendum majority at Holyrood in March) fell from 51% in 2015 to just 37% in 2017
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Sandpit said:

Britain Elects‏ @britainelects 49m49 minutes ago
    More
    Londoners // The decision to revoke Uber's license was the...

Right decision: 43%
    Wrong decision: 31%

Wow, good to see the real story (rather than Uber’s expensive spin) get through to the public.
    Actual public opinion 1
    Easily manipulated online petitions Nil
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2017
    Canadian police have confirmed they are investigating possible acts of terrorism after multiple incidents in Edmonton, Alberta, on Saturday night.

They said a police officer controlling traffic at a Canadian Football League game was struck by a car at high speed and then viciously attacked by a knife. Went on to hit a number of pedestrians.

In his hire truck they found an ISIS flag....
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:
    'I have an A grade economics A Level none of which changes the fact you obviously cannot read data or the chart I posted which clearly shows the dramatic fall in inflation both from 1979 to 1986 and that by 1991 it was less than half that in 1979 '

Well some of us have actually taught Macroeconomics at Degree level. As for A level grades , since the switch to Absolute marking in circa 1988 ,25% of entrants obtain an A or A* grade - and 98% receive at least a pass. Prior to that - under Relative marking - only 10% were awarded A grades and only 70% managed to reach the lowest pass grade. Hence, the rampant grade inflation of the last 30 years across our the entire education system - very evident on degree courses where a 2.1 has since the late 1980s been the 'norm' whereas back in the 1960s/70s most people graduated with a 2.2 despite entry to such courses being much more restricted - and elitist. Obviously I have no idea as to when you sat your A levels , but it seemsreasonable to suggest that 60% of thosw who are now awarded A grades would not have obtained them under the earlier Relative marking system.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

You are talking about ownership,

I am referring to their stakeholders.

If they want to be fully private: fine. But why should the government help fund them via student fee support?

A question quite a number of Russell Group institutions appear to be asking if my sources are to be believed given the inadequacy of the fee support, or tuition grant.
    The Buckingham model works well in my view - not right for everyone but an interesting option
    At a rough guess, perhaps eight universities outside London could go fully private and survive - Oxford, Cambridge, Bristol, Leeds, Warwick, York, Nottingham and possibly Durham. Some of them have large historic endowments, the others could probably attract enough overseas or 'Robin Hood' style students to subsidise a decent proportion of scholarships.

In London there are a number that could do it, LSE, Imperial and SOAS for example.

The question is whether the complexity and controversy it would cause is worth the extra money and freedom. So far the answer always appears to have been no, but there are signs this could be changing and if there is more counterproductive tinkering with fees so it is both ridiculously expensive to attend university and leaving them inadequately funded, I can foresee some going for independence.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    Some interesting points - this bit seems particularly noteworthy:

Grayling: In response, and arguably in contempt both of what is meant to be Parliament’s role and of the intention of the Supreme Court judgment, the government introduced a very short Bill of a few lines to hasten through Parliament, with restricted time to discuss it, and a full threeline whip to ensure that its own MPs, whatever their real views, would vote for triggering Article 50 despite any argument, facts, considerations or warnings that might come up in the hurried debate.

Hanretty: Grayling is completely wrong about the Supreme Court's intention. The court explicitly left the question of the appropriateness of the response to Parliament. Lord Neuberger, writing for the majority, wrote that:

What form such legislation should take is entirely a matter for Parliament. But, in the light of a point made in oral argument, it is right to add that the fact that Parliament may decide to content itself with a very brief statute is nothing to the point.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    ydoethur said:

@YBarddCwsc

I think the dynamic is a bit different in this country. The classic case you describe would be Lampeter, which appears to be being run down prior to expected closure because it's so remote it can't attract students. In England, I'm guessing although I can't prove t that the smallest university town would be Lichfield (as Hartpury is not really a university and is a special case anyway) which is also being run down prior to closure and everything moved to Stoke. Otherwise all England's universities seem to be in fair-sized towns - at 50,000 Durham is hardly small. Even in Scotland the universities are either in largish places (Inverness) or have decent transport links (Stirling) or are very special and unique and attract students by trading on that (St Andrews).

What Princeton does have is good transport connections into NYC or Philadelphia. That is crucial for a small University town.

Lampeter of course is incredibly hard to get to. Even if you are already in West Wales. Dolgellau to Lampeter is 2 and a bit hours!

Aberystwyth seems to me to have been seriously mismanaged. It has one of the most beautiful locations of any UK university, the town is lovely and still quite vibrant (unlike many West Walian towns). The University should be doing much better than it is.

Did you know that it was a Professor of Mathematics in Aber that first wrote down the formula for radiation emitted by an accelerating election in 1908 ?

Synchrotron radiation was finally discovered experimentally in 1940s, by which time his work was forgotten.

George Schott.

Even people who have been to Aber seem to have hardly heard of him. Which is a shame, he should have gotten much, much more credit for his scientific work.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

I wonder whether this Catalnia shambles has made Scottish independence less likely.

The difference between the way the British and Spanish governments have handled the issue must have made a few Scots think that being part of Britain isn't all that bad after all.

It is only seen as bleating to sad Little Englanders like you. Sounds like you prefer the Spanish way. We will have our say again when we want it despite the London Dictator outlawing it. No democracy in the UK given the Scottish parliament voted by a majority for a second vote.

Canada did eventually give Quebec a second independence referendum in 1995 but only 15 years after the first in 1980.

On that basis if there is to be a second Scottish independence referendum it will not be until 2029.
    To slightly misquote the greatest Scotsman of them all, these Scottish generations are making an old man of me!
    It will likely be another generation or two before the question is asked again
    This is the reference:

These truces with the infidels,” Wamba exclaimed, without caring how suddenly he interrupted the stately Templar, “make an old man of me!”
    “Go to, knave, how so?” said Cedric, his features prepared to receive favourably the expected jest.
    “Because,” answered Wamba, “I remember three of them in my day, each of which was to endure for the course of fifty years; so that, by computation, I must be at least a hundred and fifty years old.”
  • Options
    justin124 said:

HYUFD said:
    'I have an A grade economics A Level none of which changes the fact you obviously cannot read data or the chart I posted which clearly shows the dramatic fall in inflation both from 1979 to 1986 and that by 1991 it was less than half that in 1979 '

Well some of us have actually taught Macroeconomics at Degree level. As for A level grades , since the switch to Absolute marking in circa 1988 ,25% of entrants obtain an A or A* grade - and 98% receive at least a pass. Prior to that - under Relative marking - only 10% were awarded A grades and only 70% managed to reach the lowest pass grade. Hence, the rampant grade inflation of the last 30 years across our the entire education system - very evident on degree courses where a 2.1 has since the late 1980s been the 'norm' whereas back in the 1960s/70s most people graduated with a 2.2 despite entry to such courses being much more restricted - and elitist. Obviously I have no idea as to when you sat your A levels , but it seemsreasonable to suggest that 60% of thosw who are now awarded A grades would not have obtained them under the earlier Relative marking system.

Well thankyou for posting that and still rehashing an argument which effectively finished last night and none of which changes the fact by 1991 inflation had fallen to 6%
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

To slightly misquote the greatest Scotsman of them all, these Scottish generations are making an old man of me!
    It will likely be another generation or two before the question is asked again
    This is the reference:

These truces with the infidels,” Wamba exclaimed, without caring how suddenly he interrupted the stately Templar, “make an old man of me!”
    “Go to, knave, how so?” said Cedric, his features prepared to receive favourably the expected jest.
    “Because,” answered Wamba, “I remember three of them in my day, each of which was to endure for the course of fifty years; so that, by computation, I must be at least a hundred and fifty years old.”
    A good reference for MalcG I think
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    Charles said:

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Not really keeping up with Spanish politics. Are the government leftwing commies or the remnants of the right wing Franco fascists?
    Madrid government = Partido Popular = right wing conservatives. PP spend a lot of time denying that they're the heirs to Franco; draw your own conclusions.
    Thanks, I was wondering why there wasn't much condemnation from the Tories or the Daily Mail. Reminds me of the "Lurve In" by Thatcher and Dacre with Pinochet.
    Nah. Just realpolitik. We can't afford to piss off Spain just now
    It's only a few months since Michael Howard was threatening war, and the broadsheets were analysing how we could 'cripple' Spain.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

@YBarddCwsc

I think the dynamic is a bit different in this country. The classic case you describe would be Lampeter, which appears to be being run down prior to expected closure because it's so remote it can't attract students. In England, I'm guessing although I can't prove t that the smallest university town would be Lichfield (as Hartpury is not really a university and is a special case anyway) which is also being run down prior to closure and everything moved to Stoke. Otherwise all England's universities seem to be in fair-sized towns - at 50,000 Durham is hardly small. Even in Scotland the universities are either in largish places (Inverness) or have decent transport links (Stirling) or are very special and unique and attract students by trading on that (St Andrews).

keele?
  • Options
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    Wow, that's an insensitive line for them to take, I am genuinely surprised it was put like that.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

@YBarddCwsc

keele?
    Perhaps. I did think about it but it's very close to Newcastle under Lyme (closer than UWE is to Bristol, indeed) which is hardly small.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

I am providing details of the inflation rate as measured by the RPI - published monthly - for the three years - 1974 - 1979 - and 1990. The data for 1991 would relate to John Major's time in office.

Jan 12.0 Feb 13.2 Mar 13.5 Apr 15.2 May 15.9 Jun 16.5 Jul 17.1 Aug 16.8 Sep 17.1 Oct 17.1 Nov 18.3 Dec 19.1

Jan 9.3 Feb 9.6 Mar 9.8 Apr 10.1 May 10.3 Jun 11.4 Jul 15.6 Aug 15.8 Sep 16.5 Oct 17.1
    Nov 17.4 Dec 17.2

Jan 7.7 Feb 7.5 Mar 8.1 Apr 9.4 May 9.7 Jun 9.8 Jul 9.8 Aug 10.6 Sep 10.9 Oct 10.9
    Nov 9.7 Dec 9.3

This is all ONS data.
    Harold Wilson became PM again on 4th March 1974 and inherited the system of 'threshold' pay increases from the Heath Govy whereby everybode received a pay increase if the RPI went beyond a certain level. Inflation was already very high and clearly accelerating. In Healey's July 74 Mini Budget VAT was reduced to 8% from 10% which explains the apparent slowing down of price increases in the late summer and early autumn that year.

Thatcher became PM on 4th May 1979. Inflation was already edging higher - having hovered around 8% throughout 1978 though it remained well below the level inherited in March 1974. In Geoffrey Howe's June 1979 Budget VAT was increased from 8% to 15% and Utility prices to consumers were forced up sharply. The effect on the RPI really should speak for itself. From circa 10% in Spring 79 inflation jumped dramatically to 16/17% in the latter months of the year and went on to reach 22% in Spring 1980.Whilst 13% may have been the average rate of inflation for 1979 . that owes everything to what happened from the middle of the year.

As for 1990, RPI inflation remained high throughout the year . Moreover, RPI inflation was higher in Thatcher's last year in office than in Callaghan's last year!
  • Options

Charles said:

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Not really keeping up with Spanish politics. Are the government leftwing commies or the remnants of the right wing Franco fascists?
    Madrid government = Partido Popular = right wing conservatives. PP spend a lot of time denying that they're the heirs to Franco; draw your own conclusions.
    Thanks, I was wondering why there wasn't much condemnation from the Tories or the Daily Mail. Reminds me of the "Lurve In" by Thatcher and Dacre with Pinochet.
    It's only a few months since Michael Howard was threatening war, and the broadsheets were analysing how we could 'cripple' Spain.
    We could if it came to it. That is a last resort though.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

@YBarddCwsc

keele?
    Perhaps. I did think about it but it's very close to Newcastle under Lyme (closer than UWE is to Bristol, indeed) which is hardly small.
    I did my MSc at Keele and lived in Newcastle-under-Lyme while there as did the bulk of other students. You definitely can't look at the population of Keele without taking into account Newcastle.
  • Options
    Have the EU commented on the events in Catalonia at all?

Obviously they aren't a fan of referendums, but maybe they would rather it took place and the result ignored which is their usual trick.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Wow, that's an insensitive line for them to take, I am genuinely surprised it was put like that.
    Especially since Murdoch has in the past shown sympathy towards the SNP.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658

Charles said:

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Good grief! To think that in this day and age anyone is even thinking about the options for attacking another European country beggars belief!
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,868
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

You thick, no mention of SNP. The Scottish parliament voted by a majority to have a second referendum
    PS: to cover ydoethur's pedantry , it was to petition our Lords and Masters at Westminster to allow us the power to be able to think for ourselves.
    The Scottish people then voted overwhelmingly not to have another one in June when the combined SNP and Green vote (which produced the pro referendum majority at Holyrood in March) fell from 51% in 2015 to just 37% in 2017
    Lalalalalalala, do you ever think outside your deluded bubble
  • Options

Have the EU commented on the events in Catalonia at all?

Obviously they aren't a fan of referendums, but maybe they would rather it took place and the result ignored which is their usual trick.

I don't think ignoring the result is the usual, except over the Constitution of course. More usually they run it several times until the silly sods who are voting get it right.
  • Options
    Charles said:

PClipp said:

In passing, just as well Mr Bell was not elected! He seems a bit confused....

The triple lock on pensions was brought into being by the Lib Dems when we had a Coalition Government.

Current Tory policy seems to be to undo or undermine all the good things that the Lib Dems did in 2010-2015. Very foolish and short-sighted of them. No wonder they are losing support.

You have a very irritating habit of claiming all of what you think are the good bits for the LibDems and blaming the Tories for all of the bad bits regardless of who originated the policy, who advocated it, who pushed it through or who was the minister responsible.

It was a Coalition government. Both parties are responsible for all of it.
    I agree with that. The LibDems share responsibility for bringing in fees for submitting claims to Employment Tribunals.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

The only clashes are police baton's on people's heads.
  • Options

Charles said:

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

Good grief! To think that in this day and age anyone is even thinking about the options for attacking another European country beggars belief!
    Good grief! To think that in this day and age anyone is even thinking about ordering armed Police to attack voters in another European country beggars belief!

Good grief! To think that in this day and age anyone is even thinking about our territory being invaded by another European country beggars belief!

We need to be prepared for all possibilities.
  • Options

Good grief! To think that in this day and age anyone is even thinking about our territory being invaded by another European country beggars belief!

Talks aren't going *that* badly!
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

No but the context of it being discussed that we could defeat Spain militarily was based upon what our response should be if Spain invaded Gibraltar.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    edited October 2017
    OT (but then so are most of the posts lol!) ...

Is any credence being given to the Sunday Times reports that Boris can't afford to be a cabinet minister? I haven't read the ST article myself (paywall) but the Grauniad says:

"The Sunday Times reported that Johnson may be trying to get May to sack him because he is struggling to fund all his personal obligations on a cabinet minister’s salary of more than £140,000 a year."

It occurs to me that the extra £8k he'd get as PM might not cut it either!
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    It’s so desperately sad what’s happening in Catalonia. Shame on the PP for their intransigence in years past, and shame on the separatists for throwing the rule of law out of the window.

For all our moaning about British politicians, we could do worse.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Sandpit said:

OchEye said:

nichomar said:

kle4 said:

It is always a bit awkward given our culture elevates democratic will and mandate above nearly all else - certainly above following the rules, man, as any pop culture tells us - that doing so is intrinsically 'the right thing' even against the rules, it is awkward when we, or in this case Spain, responds so aggressively to an attempt to vote, even if it is indeed against the law and given the disruptions hardly a credible vote.

Internationally I Think southam is right this nets them more support, but governments are holding firm behind Spain I think?

Well the EU is holding firm behind them but then the EU has never really had much truck with democracy anyway.
    Ithink the Spanish goverment think if Catolonia was to achieve independace then who next, the Basque Region, Galacia even Valencia (unlikely imo) the shadow of Franco still lingers and infuences decisions be it a fear of it returning or as an excuse to make it happen.
    The regions of France, Italy, Netherlands, the Landers of Germany and others would be encouraged to try and secede. The administration of the now 27 is difficult enough - how much more "fun" would it be for a hundred or so.....
    And as the EU moves towards becoming a single country, then regions within existing countries are likely to split off and want to do their own thing.

Spain must realise that shooting baton rounds at voters is not going to go down well internationally.
    Once there is an EU army then this will be the scene at any former country wanting to leave the EU.
    Unfortunately Spain is giving a whole new meaning to Malcolm X's famous question about ballots or bullets. They're merging the two.

Bearing in mind that the entire referendum could have been avoided if Rajoy hadn't reneged on that deal about new powers, this is an utter shambles that should cause the collapse of the Spanish government.
    It should cause some of the Spanish Government to end up in jail. Unfortunately I doubt it will.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

Really? Don't remember that on the ballot paper.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,936
    edited October 2017
    OchEye said:

OchEye said:

I think it has nothing to do with that at all. No European government whatever their political persuasion has made any comment or condemnation. Unfortunately they all think the sanctity of the existing nation state is more important than democracy or human rights.
  • Options

Is any credence being given to the Sunday Times reports that Boris can't afford to be a cabinet minister? I haven;t read the ST article myself (payway) but the Grauniad says:

"The Sunday Times reported that Johnson may be trying to get May to sack him because he is struggling to fund all his personal obligations on a cabinet minister’s salary of more than £140,000 a year."

He would have free houses , unlimited expenses etc at public expense , so would not ever need to spend a penny of his own money. He could do a Cameron and make a fortune renting out his properties as well.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

No but the context of it being discussed that we could defeat Spain militarily was based upon what our response should be if Spain invaded Gibraltar.
    That's a relief. I was wondering what parallel universe was seeing the French threaten a reprise of 1215. Barnier is a fool, but not that much of a fool.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYFUD gets a bit hazy on the reality of Scottish Politics , still thinks the Tories won the Scottish election.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

It’s so desperately sad what’s happening in Catalonia. Shame on the PP for their intransigence in years past, and shame on the separatists for throwing the rule of law out of the window.

No we couldn't.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

The Catalan Government gave been trying for 7 years to get the Spanish Government to enter negotiations about more autonomy and they have been ignored or simply refused continuously. Calling the referendum under those circumstances seems completely reasonable to me.
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Alistair said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:

HYFUD gets a bit hazy on the reality of Scottish Politics , still thinks the Tories won the Scottish election.
    Jeremy Corbyn would tell you that by making unexpected gains but still finishing a long way behind the leaders, it's pretty clear who won that election :smiley:
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    Looks like one of the police is considering his options as Pickles walks past!!!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/snipers-spotted-manchester-rooftops-ahead-11269469
  • Options
    Sky reporting over 300 people injuried in Spain
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

RoyalBlue said:

No we couldn't.
    Don't be dumb Malcolm. Your bike does unfortunately cloud your judgement way too often and does considerable damage to your cause.
  • Options

' Fee repayment thresholds will also rise, so graduates will start paying back loans once they earn £25,000, rather than £21,000, the PM said. '

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41456555

Will we seen editorials in the London Evening Standard denouncing this increase ?

Of course if May had announced this before the GE then she would likely have got a majority.
  • Options

RoyalBlue said:

The Catalan Government gave been trying for 7 years to get the Spanish Government to enter negotiations about more autonomy and they have been ignored or simply refused continuously. Calling the referendum under those circumstances seems completely reasonable to me.
    I don’t think delay excuses acts contrary to the rule of law. The 1978 constitution prohibits referendums of this nature, so that is where they should have focused their efforts. Spain has had hung parliaments since 2015, so separatist deputies could have real influence.

• Options

Is any credence being given to the Sunday Times reports that Boris can't afford to be a cabinet minister? I haven't read the ST article myself (paywall) but the Grauniad says:

It would guarantee the future opportunity of Blair and Osborne style troughing.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    RoyalBlue said:

RoyalBlue said:

I don’t think delay excuses acts contrary to the rule of law. The 1978 constitution prohibits referendums of this nature, so that is where they should have focused their efforts. Spain has had hung parliaments since 2015, so separatist deputies could have real influence.

Go Catalonia go !
  • Options
    Just catching up with ZombieMay on Marr. My God, have never seen a Prime Minister self-waterboard like that live on TV.

If you were a Tory MP already unhappy with your lot, wouldn't any alternative feel better than having the entire party dragged down to the depths with her?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,534
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

Charles said:

dixiedean said:

It is yet again worth pointing out that housing remains very affordable in most of the country.

The problems are largely confined to the South East.

In fact, some parts of the country are de-populating. & that means there are empty homes. despite the huge increase in UK population over the last fifty years, some parts of the country have nonetheless seen their populations decline.

There are many, many companies & organisations based in London who just do not need to be there and should move out.

+1

Absolutely.

I would only add that there are many people working in London who could do their jobs cheaper and more efficiently from a cheaper home outside London. How many daily commuters actually, physically need to be there?
    We need to prioritise home working as an aspect of this problem
    To develop this further, you can have a world-class University in a town or village (Princeton in New Jersey is an example).

There is no need for Imperial College, UCL and Queen Mary to be in London.

They should all move out.

The land they own in Kensington, Bloomsbury & Mile End is worth a fortune. They could all move out, build new campuses elsewhere and make money in the process.

They could invigorate small towns that desperately need influxes of new people. And the housing costs of their staff & student would be hugely reduced.

This.
    I doubt the students who come to study in one of the world's great metropolises are going to be enthused if their campus is moved to St Mary Mead.

Since all the out of London universities are opening campuses in London, the demand to study in London seems buoyant.
    International students, in particular, want to study in London.
    So? Public institutions should be able the public good not business plans
    Universities are not public institutions.
    Yes they are, in the wider sense of the word.
    Imposing an extraordinary and irreversible change like that for a purely theoretical benefit seems to require an even wider sense of 'the public good'.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,416
    I don't think tuition fees are necessarily a sideshow. Telling people who have nothing - 18 year olds - that they need to take on £50,000 of debt for a ticket to a middle class life - however fair and balanced it may seem to grown-up policymakers - is nver going to go down well. And it's not just teenagers: most of these teenagers have parents who are equally aghast at the situation. It's not the principle of fees, it's the sheer scale of debt that children are being expected to take on. Anyway, the genie os out of the bottle now, and as Aaron says, there is no way any Conservative proposals around freezing tuition fees can compete with Labour proposals to abolish them. Viewed in that light, they seem quite laughable really.

There is so much that is wrong with our universities system. £9,000 per year - for the amount of actual education that students get - is abysmal value. It's an inefficient way of delivering information, inefficiently executed.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,598
    Right, who's off to Barcelona to form an International Brigade?
  • Options

Talking of troughing former politicians:

' Former German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder is facing a backlash after being elected chairman of the Russian state-controlled oil giant Rosneft.

The appointment deepens his controversial links with Moscow. He has long been friends with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

The West imposed sanctions on Rosneft after Russia annexed Crimea in 2014.

The chair of the German parliament's foreign affairs committee said Mr Schroeder's move was "unbelievable".

German news provider Deutsche Welle quoted Norbert Roettgen as saying Mr Schroeder was "cashing in" on his former role as chancellor. '

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41447603

Of course those people who are normally so worried about Russian connections always seemed to give Schroeder a free pass.
  • Options
    It would interesting in the next Barcelona vs Real at the Bernabeu !
  • Options

malcolmg said:

RoyalBlue said:

No we couldn't.
    Don't be dumb Malcolm. Your bike does unfortunately cloud your judgement way too often and does considerable damage to your cause.
    Richard our current lot , in power and out are useless, we could hardly get a worse bunch , most certainly by a wide margin , the poorest set of politicians in my lifetime and the decline does not appear to be at rock bottom either.
    Absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with my cause.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    surbiton said:

Barcelonas opponents today's are planning to where a Spanish flag on their jerseys.
  • Options

No-one from Labour that is for sure, they are plastic Internationalists as with most other policies.
  • Options

Just catching up with ZombieMay on Marr. My God, have never seen a Prime Minister self-waterboard like that live on TV.

If you were a Tory MP already unhappy with your lot, wouldn't any alternative feel better than having the entire party dragged down to the depths with her?

I didn't see it but can imagine that it was painful viewing. Theresa was never good with interviews at the best of times - evasive, repetitive and prone to clunky attempts at avoiding the question. Now she's had the stuffing knocked out of her by Corbyn, Boris etc. it must be like torture for the poor girl. Can the Tories not show some mercy and let her go?
  • Options
    calumcalum Posts: 3,046
    The "police" appear to be targeting women
    https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/914474597793267712
  • Options

She is a robot and a moron. A mobot!
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Reports of an attack in Marseille....

Marseille train station knifeman shot dead by cops after killing passer-by and attacking passengers
  • Options
    calum said:

The "police" appear to be targeting women
    https://twitter.com/DailyMirror/status/914474597793267712

This woman presumably was attacking Spain! Sons of Franco in power in Madrid. The end of Spain as we know is nigh.
  • Options

Talking of troughing former politicians:

' Former German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder is facing a backlash after being elected chairman of the Russian state-controlled oil giant Rosneft.

The appointment deepens his controversial links with Moscow. He has long been friends with Russian President Vladimir Putin.

The West imposed sanctions on Rosneft after Russia annexed Crimea in 2014.

The chair of the German parliament's foreign affairs committee said Mr Schroeder's move was "unbelievable".

German news provider Deutsche Welle quoted Norbert Roettgen as saying Mr Schroeder was "cashing in" on his former role as chancellor. '

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-41447603

Of course those people who are normally so worried about Russian connections always seemed to give Schroeder a free pass.
    It is worth saying that if Putin had done what Spain did today in Catalonia, the pillars of the EU would have been howling the sky down for still more sanctions.

We see again the fundamental corruptness and dishonesty of the people who run the EU.
  • Options

It is surreal to reflect that a mere six months ago, that was what we all thought about Corbyn.

The only thing I feel I can confidently predict after the last two years is that anyone who tries to predict the future will end up looking like a muppet.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,223
    edited October 2017
    The self restraint of the crowds and protesters in Spain is remarkable and shows up the police in the most extreme way. I find it astonishing that this is going on right now in a core EU country and our politicians are wibbling about whether one buffoon should replace another. It is so embarrassingly parochial.

Thankfully nothing as violent yet but this vaguely reminds me of Tiammen Square. In Europe. Shameful.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

The break up of Yugoslavia is sometimes said to have begun at a football match:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinamo–Red_Star_riot

Any Barcelona players fancy emulating Zvonimir Boban ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En6wViD1jtY
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Winston Churchill had the same problem. When he moved into the Admiralty, he could not afford enough servants. Usually in debt, heavy gambling losses, bailed out by rich friends, and sailing very close to evading rather than avoiding tax. Like Boris, Churchill earned a great deal from books and journalism, and also from films. (Hmm -- Boris's royalties should still be rolling in.)

See David Lough's book No More Champagne: Churchill and his Money.
    http://www.historytoday.com/reviews/no-more-champagne-churchill-and-his-money

What else is interesting is that the Prime Minister's salary used to be a good deal higher, adjusted for inflation, than it is now: about half a million in today's money.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,988
    malcolmg said:

No-one from Labour that is for sure, they are plastic Internationalists as with most other policies.
    https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn

Jeremy Corbyn‏Verified account
    @jeremycorbyn
    Police violence against citizens in #Catalonia is shocking. The Spanish government must act to end it now.
  • Options
    Spain and North Korea. In one someone gets 99.9% of the votes. In the other, fascist police beat the hell out of people voting.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,721

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

I think it has nothing to do with that at all. No European government whatever their political persuasion has made any comment or condemnation. Unfortunately they all think the sanctity of the existing nation state is more important than democracy or human rights.
    This is not a bad point but it is not a conclusive point. The desirability of other countries to enforce change or standards on the internal politics of a third country has been the subject of some debate in the 21st century. During one of the debates (I forget which - Syria or Ukraine) Michael Howard made reference to a duty of care and that that duty required intervention. Consider the following:

If you believe that a nation has a right to impose behaviour internally on a third party then logically you must agree with:
    * The EU's wish to enforce guarantees for its citizens in the UK post-Brexit
    * The US's wish to enforce democracy for the citizens of Iraq
    * Russia's wish to enable secession of the Crimea from Ukraine
    * Saudi Arabia's wish to enable the replacement of Westphalian states with a transnational Islamic caliphate.

If you believe that a nation does not has a right to impose behaviour internally on a third party then logically you must agree with:
    * The sometimes medieval behavior of the 'Stans (which one was it where they boiled someone to death?)
    * The widespread oppression of women in Saudi Arabia and other states
    * The Rwandan genocide

I could go on (and I haven't even mentioned Bloody Sunday) but the question you pose is not an easy one.

As a postscript, consider this:

As Brexit will (worse case scenario) result in UK becoming more insular, or (best case scenario) adopt a wideranging global network based on trade, we will become less able to influence geopolitical events. So regardless of how this question of state interference is resolved, it will have little effect on us, other than to observe or comment.
  • Options

If its like Eric Blair's experience you'll end up accused of being a fascist.
  • Options
    I presume there is an emergency meeting to discuss sanctions on Spain.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Barnesian said:

malcolmg said:

@jeremycorbyn
    Police violence against citizens in #Catalonia is shocking. The Spanish government must act to end it now.
    Finally shamed into saying something , why did it take till 1:30pm when videos have been rolling since early morning.
    PS: Better than Tories mind you
  • Options
    DavidL said:

The self restraint of the crowds and protesters in Spain is remarkable and shows up the police in the most extreme way. I find it astonishing that this is going on right now in a core EU country and our politicians are wibbling about whether one buffoon should replace another. It is so embarrassingly parochial.

Thankfully nothing as violent yet but this vaguely reminds me of Tiammen Square. In Europe. Shameful.

These people are participating in an illegal act, in a country that has been a democracy for more than 40 years. I am horrified by the scenes of violence, but if you participate in an illegal act, don't be surprised when those whose job it is to enforce the law treat you less than favourably.

Tianmen Square took place in a communist dictatorship. Spain is a liberal democracy with extensive decentralisation of power. They are not comparable at all.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I presume there is an emergency meeting to discuss sanctions on Spain.

LOL, they will be sending over weapons sales staff
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

DavidL said:

These people are participating in an illegal act, in a country that has been a democracy for more than 40 years. I am horrified by the scenes of violence, but if you participate in an illegal act, don't be surprised when those whose job it is to enforce the law treat you less than favourably.

Tianmen Square took place in a communist dictatorship. Spain is a liberal democracy with extensive decentralisation of power. They are not comparable at all.
    When did you get employed by the Russian Interior Ministry ?
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    RoyalBlue said:

DavidL said:

Did you click your jackboots after that post. Assume for instance you support homosexuals being rounded up and being beaten and jailed because it is illegal.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    On university fees. The key thing is to make undergraduate courses more efficient and cheaper. Don't worry about world rankings - education factories are what we should go for. If people are willing to pay the basic fees and meet the standards they should get get on the course.

Research and post-graduate degrees are another matter. There is a strong argument for these to be substantially funded by the State.

On Catalonia. There is no obligation on the Spanish government to give way on civil disobedience. You could argue that offering a referendum would be a wise political decision, but that's another question. However, the Spanish government forgets their absolute obligation, which is that no civilian should be hurt, ever.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    DavidL said:

The self restraint of the crowds and protesters in Spain is remarkable and shows up the police in the most extreme way. I find it astonishing that this is going on right now in a core EU country .....

Really? Seems inevitable to me.

Democracy, self-determination and so on are taken as utterly entrenched in so much of our press - but in many southern and eastern EU states it's a flimsy compromise.
  • Options

Looks like one of the police is considering his options as Pickles walks past!!!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/snipers-spotted-manchester-rooftops-ahead-11269469

'lol'
  • Options
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    malcolmg said:

Barnesian said:

malcolmg said:

@jeremycorbyn
    Finally shamed into saying something , why did it take till 1:30pm when videos have been rolling since early morning.
    PS: Better than Tories mind you
    Was he watching Arsenal?
  • Options

surbiton said:

Barcelonas opponents today's are planning to where a Spanish flag on their jerseys.
    Real Madrid are playing Espanyol at 19:45 today.

Now Espanyol are from Barcelona but tend to have pro-Spain fans.
  • Options
    Reports now from credible media organisations that attacker in Marseille was screaming the much said phrase...Looks like two terrorists attacks in a day.
  • Options

I saw that and wondered about the logic. Why in that case would he be agitating to be sacked and see his income reduced to an MPs salary of £74 000?
  • Options
    FF43 said:

On university fees. The key thing is to make undergraduate courses more efficient and cheaper. Don't worry about world rankings - education factories are what we should go for. If people are willing to pay the basic fees and meet the standards they should get get on the course.

You sound like Michael O'Leary.

Pay the basic fee, you get on the aeroplane.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
  • Options
    edited October 2017

surbiton said:

Las palmas were to play Barca but they have called it off due to them wanting to incite the situation.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RoyalBlue said:

DavidL said:

I believe in the rule of law. I'm not going to apologise for that.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

malcolmg said:

@jeremycorbyn
    That's what they're trying to do, and that is sort of the problem.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Las palmas were to play Barca but they have called it off due to them wanting to incite the situation.
    That must be an autocorrect disaster surely? Although it has to be said even if 'incite' is a mistake the grammar could be better.
  • Options
    Watching the hand egg ...New Orleans saints have sensible comprise on the whole protesting issue. They are collectively protesting before the national anthems and then will stand.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

If its like Eric Blair's experience you'll end up accused of being a fascist.
    Nowadays they accuse you of being a Tory. And want to hang you.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    ydoethur said:

surbiton said:

That must be an autocorrect disaster surely? Although it has to be said even if 'incite' is a mistake the grammar could be better.
    Sorry...Day off from speaking proper with added autocorrect disaster.

On a related note, Iphone still screwed even with latest IOS 11 update.
  • Options

FF43 said:

You sound like Michael O'Leary.

Pay the basic fee, you get on the aeroplane.
    I'm OK with that. You either open up education to anyone who wants it and meets the standards or you limit it effectively to an elite. The second is not acceptable in today's world because people have aspirations and don't accept being kept in their box by bureaucrats and politicians. Which is the political point. The issue isn't that too many people are being educated at university; it's that it costs too much.

Ryanair opened up air travel to people who would have stayed at home before.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,721
    malcolmg said:

Did you click your jackboots after that post. Assume for instance you support homosexuals being rounded up and being beaten and jailed because it is illegal.

That's happening right now in the Middle Eastern badlands, with frequently horrific results involving immolation or being thrown from a high roof. We had a debate in Parliament about sending forces into Syria to help. Cameron wanted to go in. The debate was lost and we stayed out, although in the end we did send some forces...to little effect.

Question. Was the UK wrong to resile from Syria? If so, should it send troops in now?
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,988

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

"Belgium prime minister Charles Michel has spoken out against the violence and called for political dialogue.

He is the first world leader to do so.

Charles Michel ✔@CharlesMichel
    Violence can never be the answer! We condemn all forms of violence and reaffirm our call for political dialogue #CatalanReferendum #Spain
    12:41 PM - Oct 1, 2017"

https://twitter.com/CharlesMichel

Corbyn has also condemned the violence. Hopefully other leaders will follow suit.
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn-backed group's activists 'hounded' Jewish business owner

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/09/30/jeremy-corbyn-backed-groups-activists-hounded-jewish-business/
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,223
    RoyalBlue said:

surbiton said:

RoyalBlue said:

DavidL said:

I believe in the rule of law. I'm not going to apologise for that.
    I do not believe that the rule of law is enforced by violently assaulting peaceful protesters who are seeking to exercise a democratic right and express their opinions. If you can't see the parallels with Tianmen then I suggest you need to rethink.

Of course the Spanish State has or more accurately had the right to state that as a matter of law this referendum was unconstitutional and of no effect. They have no right at all to do what they have done today.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Voting as an illegal act.

Yeah. Ok.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

OchEye said:

OchEye said:

"Belgium prime minister Charles Michel has spoken out against the violence and called for political dialogue.

He is the first world leader to do so.

Charles Michel ✔@CharlesMichel
    Violence can never be the answer! We condemn all forms of violence and reaffirm our call for political dialogue #CatalanReferendum #Spain
    12:41 PM - Oct 1, 2017"

https://twitter.com/CharlesMichel

Corbyn has also condemned the violence. Hopefully other leaders will follow suit.
    At least we have a few politicians who seem to know the difference between right and wrong. All credit to them.
This discussion has been closed.