Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The TMay successor betting moves to BJohnson after suggestions

Comments

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    What a surprise. It wasn't the British government that didn't want talks to succeed at all, but those eurocrats who we're desperately trying to get away from.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    JohnLoony said:

Rodney Bickerstaffe

and in conference season. RIP.
  • Options

Off topic, I think the EU want the UK to surrender on the ECJ jurisdiction on citizens rights, and on NI remaining in the customs union/single market before talking trade, in order to make a mockery of taking back control.

I think many in the civil service would reluctantly wear this, but it's politically impossible for the Government to accept.

May may try and, if she does, I think she falls.

I think you're right. They've picked something that they know we can't possibly budge on and won't allow talks to continue otherwise. Looks like we're crashing out with no deal.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Well at least somebody is enjoying the tory party conference..

https://twitter.com/eyespymp/status/915165741518872576

@callummay: @jimwaterson In the loo at a Lib Dem conference I once heard a couple in a cubicle earnestly discussing *whether* to have sex. Rather than doing it.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,341

Scott_P said:
    What a surprise. It wasn't the British government that didn't want talks to succeed at all, but those eurocrats who we're desperately trying to get away from.
    Given the parliament is complaining that they need "a clear answer who is responsible for the British position...", why the eff are they sticking their oar in, and what does that say about who we're supposed to be negotiating with ??
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41477817
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Nobody is " blaming Brexit " for Monarch. Almost everyone is recognising that #1 A peak to trough devaluation of $1.55 to $1.20 for the £ is a significant shock to a company with huge costs in Foriegn Currency. #2 That withdrawing from the Single European Sky on Brexit Day with no earthly idea what if anything will replace it has detected external buyers.

How many of factors #1 and #2 did the Monarch boss mention in his interview?

Everything must be fitted to a 'Brexit is a disaster' narrative.

What killed Monarch (according to Monarch) was #1 Terrorism in their main markets which #2 drove them to compete in Markets that were already very competitive.
    From what I've heard, what killed them was that they could not compete with low cost/no frills airlines.
    There is seldom a single cause. My son lost his job recently because his firm relied heavily on EU funding (basically into global warming) so it looks like a direct consequence of Brexit but it was also a demonstration of failure to diversify and too much reliance on one client.

Brexit obviously wasn't helpful in his case, or Monarch's, but not the sole cause.

Yep - all Brexit does is throw another spanner into the works. We have made it harder for ourselves, for no discernible benefit.

Only because you refuse to acknowledge control over our own laws and us having the power to elect and eject our lawmakers as a discernible benefit.

You may not think it is a benefit worth gaining, but it is most unquestionably a benefit.

We already have that benefit, as the referendum and general election demonstrated.

I think the idea is to be able to make our own decisions without a massive amount of upheaval first, which trying to leave the EU is showing we don't have now.

I'd have some sympathy for that if the UK had spent the last 40 years being consistently outvoted at the Council of Ministers; but in reality it is hard to think of much of import that we have had to enshrine in UK law against the wishes of our elected government. Are there examples that I am not thinking of? That may well be the case.

I honestly have no idea. But the fact is that once we've signed up to something then we can't possibly go back and change that decision.

Having control means you can change your mind on something not be signed up forever.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Nobody is " blaming Brexit " for Monarch. Almost everyone is recognising that #1 A peak to trough devaluation of $1.55 to $1.20 for the £ is a significant shock to a company with huge costs in Foriegn Currency. #2 That withdrawing from the Single European Sky on Brexit Day with no earthly idea what if anything will replace it has detected external buyers.

What killed Monarch (according to Monarch) was #1 Terrorism in their main markets which #2 drove them to compete in Markets that were already very competitive.
    From what I've heard, what killed them was that they could not compete with low cost/no frills airlines.
    There is seldom a single cause. My son lost his job recently because his firm relied heavily on EU funding (basically into global warming) so it looks like a direct consequence of Brexit but it was also a demonstration of failure to diversify and too much reliance on one client.

Brexit obviously wasn't helpful in his case, or Monarch's, but not the sole cause.

Yep - all Brexit does is throw another spanner into the works. We have made it harder for ourselves, for no discernible benefit.

Only because you refuse to acknowledge control over our own laws and us having the power to elect and eject our lawmakers as a discernible benefit.

You may not think it is a benefit worth gaining, but it is most unquestionably a benefit.

We already have that benefit, as the referendum and general election demonstrated.

The referendum showed we had the ability to regain that ability by leaving, but without leaving we don't have that ability.

The General Election lets us choose who sets some of our laws, it doesn't let us change unpopular EU laws though.
    It may be the case that Leaving simply isn't possible without significant economic and political fallout.

Leavers think that it's still worth it. Remainers are horrified.

So the debate rolls on.
    It's not really a debate though, is it? It's more like watching a slow-motion train-smash with one side saying it will be carnage and the other saying 'no, it won't be too bad, and possibly better for everybody in the long run'.

So let's all wait and see what happens.
  • Options

NYT on Uber:

On the left, Sadiq Khan, the mayor of London, who is himself the son of an immigrant bus driver, applauded the license decision as a victory for “passenger safety,” aligning himself with black-cab drivers who are mostly British, white and right-leaning.

On the right, George Osborne, the editor of London’s Evening Standard and a former Conservative chancellor of the Exchequer, wrote an editorial accusing the mayor of “shutting out the future” — only to be slapped down himself by the ethics council of the National Union of Journalists for failing to declare that he sits on the board of the fund manager BlackRock, a major investor in Uber.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/10/02/world/europe/uber-london-cab.html?smid=tw-nytimes&smtyp=cur

At risk of sounding like a broken record, black cabs are an irrelevance -- Uber users of my acquaintance previously took minicabs or buses for the most part. Osborne's conflict of interest is a worry but hardly unprecedented in the annals of British journalism.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,841
    edited October 2017

Off topic, I think the EU want the UK to surrender on the ECJ jurisdiction on citizens rights, and on NI remaining in the customs union/single market before talking trade, in order to make a mockery of taking back control.

I think many in the civil service would reluctantly wear this, but it's politically impossible for the Government to accept.

I think you're right. They've picked something that they know we can't possibly budge on and won't allow talks to continue otherwise. Looks like we're crashing out with no deal.
    Well the other side clearly prefer to be obstinate and don’t want to do a deal, so we should start preparing now to leave in 18 months’ time without one. The EU are just going to have to put up with another Switzerland or Singapore off their coast - and a large hole in their budget.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

What choice will she have if the EU tell her to va te faire enculer?
    She walks away. Not the preferred choice but as far as the ECJ jurisdiction and breaking up the UK goes it is not something she could survive. If she agrees she falls and whoever succeeds her says no.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited October 2017

Sandpit said:

FF43 said:

The Las Vegas shooter really is a mystery.

No social media presence, nothing more than a parking ticket in 10 years.

I have seen interviews with two gun shop owners who both say he came in multiple times looking around, in no hurry to buy a weapon, taking several visits before he went ahead and decides to make a purchase.

Is that because people come into gun shops and buy mass-killing machine guns over the counter and nobody bats an eyelid?
    You are missing my point. American guns laws are nuts.

However my point is this guy doesn't fit anything that has come before. Multi millionaire, never in any trouble, no crazy social media posts and he has been buying a massive arsenal in a calm collected manner in seemingly no hurry (and often choosing guns that don't give maximum death per buck, other times doing so).
    It’s a really weird one - a guy who was reasonably well off, had had no recent shocks in his life, no history of mental illness or affiliation to groups of nutters, manages to assemble in his hotel room half a batallion’s worth of automatic guns before calmly sending a hail of bullets down onto a crowd of people below.

There has to be something missing from the story, I hope the investigators can gain an understanding of why on Earth this happened.
    In a way, these days having no obvious social media presence at all is kinda of abnormal. I wouldn't be surprised if ultimately they find he had some secret dark online activity.
    Like posting on PB you mean?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,210

Sean_F said:

I think the idea is to be able to make our own decisions without a massive amount of upheaval first, which trying to leave the EU is showing we don't have now.

I'd have some sympathy for that if the UK had spent the last 40 years being consistently outvoted at the Council of Ministers; but in reality it is hard to think of much of import that we have had to enshrine in UK law against the wishes of our elected government. Are there examples that I am not thinking of? That may well be the case.

droite de suite. A real blow to the man on the street('s artist and member of the Bloomsbury set grandfather).
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Well the other side clearly prefer to be obstinate and don’t want to do a deal, so we should start preparing now to leave in 18 months’ time without one. The EU are just going to have to put up with another Switzerland or Singapore off their coast - and a large hole in their budget.
    Yes it will be difficult and painful for us unfortunately, but it is necessary now. It's obvious we can't get a decent deal so we need to take steps to move on to the next stage.

Of course the loony remainers will blame the government for this as usual.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

They will cope. Let's hope we do.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

http://www.johnmajor.co.uk/page1344.html
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Sandpit said:

Yes it will be difficult and painful for us unfortunately, but it is necessary now. It's obvious we can't get a decent deal so we need to take steps to move on to the next stage.

It is Loony LEAVER LEMMINGS who have caused the problem and will be blamed hereafter
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Don't worry, German car manufacturers will insist the EU gives us a good deal.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2017

Really? Is it not the case that we* picked a brexit that they couldn't possibly agree to?

Giving us a pile of cash for our health service, complete control over immigration and full access to their market.

It was an impossible fantasy.

You were lied to.

* "we" = 52% of Brits.
  • Options
    CopperSulphateCopperSulphate Posts: 1,119
    edited October 2017
    Any comments on Amber Rudd's barmy idea of 15 years in jail for viewing the wrong things online? I can see the definition of "right-wing extremism" getting widened to anything to the right of the Guardian if Corbyn gets a sniff of power.

And anyway the idea of being jailed for reading "unapproved" views whatever they are is something I find very disturbing.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,011
    The argument about preparing for a no deal Brexit will probably morph into saying the people don't deserve their Brexit if they're not willing to make the necessary sacrifices to achieve it.
  • Options
    Talk about Thornberry needs to be tempered by how batshit crazy many of the Corbynistas are. The New Wave of British Heavy Socialism was supposed to bring about the next generation of people like Clive Lewis and Lisa Nandy, yet both made the terrible error of having a brain and not just doing whatever the Great Leader told them. So now they are out.

Thornberry is in a great position - she's seen as a solid Corbynista (though we know its an act), she's a great media performer, and she's equipped with a Vagina. As a replacement for Jezbollah she has to be a better bet that Diane Abbott (sorry TSE...)

But if you are a Corbyn and only Corbyn person then anyone else is a Tory. They won't want to hand over the leadership to her or anyone else - the job is Jeremy's for life if he wants it.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,572
    Charles said:

Boss of Monarch not blaming Brexit for collapse:

Mr Swaffield blamed the company's demise on "terrorism and the closure of some markets like Turkey, Tunisia and Egypt," which led to more competition on routes to Spain and Portugal.
    "Flights were being squeezed into a smaller number of destinations and a 25% reduction in ticket prices on our routes created a massive economic challenge for our short-haul network," he told the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41481661?ocid=socialflow_twitter&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=twitter

The HR department at Ryanair will be busy.
    Monarch pilots are trained on Airbus. Ryanair exclusively Boeing

#couldnthappentoanicerman
    Easyjet exclusively use AirBus.....

Two major LoCos in Indonesia - much prefer Air Asia's 320s to Lion Air's 737s....even if they are the newest ones - the fuselage width still dates from the 1950s.....
  • Options

Sandpit said:

It is Loony LEAVER LEMMINGS who have caused the problem and will be blamed hereafter
    It's not the leavers who signed up to a project that the MAJORITY didn't want while making it as difficult to get out of as possible.
  • Options

Talk about Thornberry needs to be tempered by how batshit crazy many of the Corbynistas are. The New Wave of British Heavy Socialism was supposed to bring about the next generation of people like Clive Lewis and Lisa Nandy, yet both made the terrible error of having a brain and not just doing whatever the Great Leader told them. So now they are out.

Thornberry is in a great position - she's seen as a solid Corbynista (though we know its an act), she's a great media performer, and she's equipped with a Vagina. As a replacement for Jezbollah she has to be a better bet that Diane Abbott (sorry TSE...)

But if you are a Corbyn and only Corbyn person then anyone else is a Tory. They won't want to hand over the leadership to her or anyone else - the job is Jeremy's for life if he wants it.

Is her status as Lady N not going to be a "Tristram" kind of problem for those who are not necessarily Corbynistas but don't like that kind of thing?
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Sean_F said:

http://www.johnmajor.co.uk/page1344.html
    To be clear, what Major is complaining about is the Treaty of Rome so it's a bizarre complaint.
  • Options
    @gabyhinsliff: Have now bumped into quite a lot of Tories who would really like the lion to shut up https://twitter.com/jamesrbuk/status/915163652361216000
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,152

Any comments on Amber Rudd's barmy idea of 15 years in jail for viewing the wrong things online? I can see the definition of "right-wing extremism" getting widened to anything to the right of the Guardian if Corbyn gets a sniff of power.

And anyway the idea of being jailed for reading "unapproved" views whatever they are is something I find very disturbing.

She said "repeatedly" viewing such material, but it is still worrying.

Although, this is a speech by Home Sec to her party crowd. Most of the stuff will never make legislation.

I see she is still on about end-to-end encryption. Has this not being explained to her yet?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    What time is Bojo on ?

Is there a market for who has the most furious remainer reaction to the speech ?

• Options

All personality cults face this problem.
  • Options

Charles said:

Boss of Monarch not blaming Brexit for collapse:

Mr Swaffield blamed the company's demise on "terrorism and the closure of some markets like Turkey, Tunisia and Egypt," which led to more competition on routes to Spain and Portugal.
    "Flights were being squeezed into a smaller number of destinations and a 25% reduction in ticket prices on our routes created a massive economic challenge for our short-haul network," he told the BBC.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41481661?ocid=socialflow_twitter&ns_mchannel=social&ns_campaign=bbcnews&ns_source=twitter

The HR department at Ryanair will be busy.
    Monarch pilots are trained on Airbus. Ryanair exclusively Boeing

#couldnthappentoanicerman
    Easyjet exclusively use AirBus.....

Two major LoCos in Indonesia - much prefer Air Asia's 320s to Lion Air's 737s....even if they are the newest ones - the fuselage width still dates from the 1950s.....
    Don’t fly Lion Air, they are almost single handedly keeping Boeing’s crash repair department in business with the number of 737s they’ve bent in the last few years!

The Monarch pilots are looking at Easy, BA, Virgin, FlyBe, various airlines in the Middle East, Asia and China (the latter paying $250k to captains!), all of whom are hiring.

Pretty much everywhere except Ryanair. So sad.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    edited October 2017
    Just read Laura Kuenssberg's article on the BBC about the mood at the Tory conference and it just reinforces how badly they miss Cameron. Former ministers who think the Party is about to go on a major decline that they can't get out of and I would agree.

If Labour had a Centre-Left leader I think the Tories would be in a hell of a lot more trouble right now. In fact they would be certainties to lose the next election.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

It is Loony LEAVER LEMMINGS
    Insulting one side or the other in Brexit.....*cough*.......
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,691
    edited October 2017
    The Article 50 negotiations are simply an opportunity to sort some things out while we are members and through an accelerated decision process. An Article 50 withdrawal agreement is only the first stage in the towards new relationships not just with the EU, but with everyone else. Equally if we don't negotiate a withdrawal agreement we are just storing up problems for later, when they will be more difficult to resolve and vastly more costly to do so.

No deal is better than a bad deal is a truism. Just how bad does that deal have to be before no deal is better? The answer is vastly worse than anything Barnier et al are proposing. In which case we might just as well sign on the dotted line (with a minimal haggle of course, but this just reflects the relative bargaining strengths of each party). They have three demands - 1) Citizens' rights, which as far as I am concerned are a GOOD THING, so I am happy the EU are pushing the line on the outcomes and would prefer my government to agree this as a matter of course; 2) Ireland. There isn't a solution so it will just have to be finessed or ignored. Which leaves (3), money. It is not worth wrecking everything for some tens of billions of euros, when we are going to pay a lot more than that anyway.

The withdrawal agreement is the easy one. If we are incapable of that we will never sort anything out.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    The EU is totally incapable of having these sort of nimble negotiations.

Like entering Emily Thornberry into the asymettric bars at the Olympics and expecting a medal.
  • Options

Although, this is a speech by Home Sec to her party crowd. Most of the stuff will never make legislation.

I see she is still on about end-to-end encryption. Has this not being explained to her yet?
    I’m seriously thinking of volunteering my services explaining computers and technology to politicians, who all seem to think they can un-invent maths and computing power by legislation.

Every Home Sec for the last three decades has been completely housetrained by the spooks when it comes to computing and the internet.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

Apparently she doesn't want it explained to her. That would be patronising.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

Just read Laura Kuenssberg's article on the BBC about the mood at the Tory conference and it just reinforces how badly they miss Cameron. Former ministers who think the Party is about to go on a major decline that they can't get out of and I would agree.

If Labour had a Centre-Left leader I think the Tories would be in a hell of a lot more trouble right now. In fact they would be certainties to lose the next election.

Surely it is Cameron who caused much of the current problem by strengthening the centre (which always seems like a good idea while your cabal is running things) with disregard if not active hostility to the party in the country. (Some of this would also apply to Blair and New Labour.)
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    jonny83 said:

Just read Laura Kuenssberg's article on the BBC about the mood at the Tory conference and it just reinforces how badly they miss Cameron.

Given the catastrophic mess he left them in the Tories could be forgiven for never wanting to hear Cameron's name mentioned ever again!
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    Sandpit said:

I’m seriously thinking of volunteering my services explaining computers and technology to politicians, who all seem to think they can un-invent maths and computing power by legislation. .

They will be legislating that Pi = 3.0 next...
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    jonny83 said:

The tories are in this position because labour didn't elect a centre-left leader, post-EdM.

The right treated the election of Corbyn as a blank cheque to go for an ideological w*nk in the bushes.

Liberals out. Dave out. Drawbridge up.

Load the cannon and point it at Germany.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

I’m seriously thinking of volunteering my services explaining computers and technology to politicians, who all seem to think they can un-invent maths and computing power by legislation. .

Or vote to repeal Moore’s Law...
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

The problem for the Tories is that the core of what they believe is just not all that popular with the general public, so to get to mass appeal they need to have someone to the left of what they stand for. It's not sustainable.

For example trying to slowly reduce government overspending and run a balanced budget is branded as "austerity" or "punishing the poor" and they are hated for it. I think it is madness, but that is where we're at unfortunately.
  • Options
    Here's why Boris , Gove and to an extent Ruth have to win out over the dour managerial boredom of spreadsheet Hammond and robot May

odysseanproject‏ @odysseanproject 23m
    More
    The CAB ‘mostly believe’ the ‘slow grind of governmnt competence cd restore credibility over time’. Total delusion

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41482140
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

The EU is totally incapable of having these sort of nimble negotiations.
    Play chicken with the EU and you end up as road kill. If Theresa May can't get the necessary compromises through parliament we'll have to keep trying new Prime Ministers until we find one who can.
  • Options
    Has Morris Dancer been advising Jacob Rees-Mogg on history ?

https://twitter.com/pswidlicki/status/915158700444307456
  • Options

jonny83 said:

The problem for the Tories is that the core of what they believe is just not all that popular with the general public, so to get to mass appeal they need to have someone to the left of what they stand for. It's not sustainable.

For example trying to slowly reduce government overspending and run a balanced budget is branded as "austerity" or "punishing the poor" and they are hated for it. I think it is madness, but that is where we're at unfortunately.
    I don't believe its left or right - it's energy , enthusiasm and different thinking that voters want. Not dour efficiency at a mediocre level - which is what Hammond is trying to sell.

• Options
    CopperSulphateCopperSulphate Posts: 1,119
    edited October 2017
    TGOHF said:

jonny83 said:

I don't believe its left or right - it's energy , enthusiasm and different thinking that voters want. Not dour efficiency at a mediocre level - which is what Hammond is trying to sell.

Energy and enthusiasm is what appeals to the young. It's also stuff that doesn't need to actually be realistic, so balanced budgets are never going to win among the young compared to half a trillion quid of free money pulled out of Corbyn's anus.

Older voters appreciate people being able to add two numbers together.
  • Options

Ah, JRM read history at Oxford, that explains it.
  • Options

This is the JRM who compared Juncker with Bismarck.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Maybe every 18 months they will try twice as hard as before :D:D
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,341
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Physics is repealing Moore's law, slowly.
    Though there are still a few tricks which will keep the ball rolling for a while...
    http://www.nature.com/nnano/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nnano.2017.178.html
  • Options

I’ll quit the Tory party if that clown becomes Leader.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

In your dreams. Given that that would mean people believing they had made a bad choice, it will be far easier and inevitable that they blame the EU. Particularly as the EU is doing nothing to dissuade them from that position. As always the EU is its own worst enemy and Leave will happily take advantage of that.
  • Options
    Pong said:

jonny83 said:

The tories are in this position because labour didn't elect a centre-left leader, post-EdM.

The right treated the election of Corbyn as a blank cheque to go for an ideological w*nk in the bushes.

Lab didn't elect a centre-left leader because at that time the difference between the two parties would have been negligible. It is only now that the Cons have lurched rightwards that a centre-left leader (or indeed centre-right one for that matter, ffs) would be differentiated.
  • Options

Repeated viewing -- so that's OK. More power to Amber Rudd locking up the terrorists and paedos and anyone who watched more than one news item showing people being mown down in Las Vegas yesterday.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

In your dreams. Given that that would mean people believing they had made a bad choice, it will be far easier and inevitable that they blame the EU. Particularly as the EU is doing nothing to dissuade them from that position. As always the EU is its own worst enemy and Leave will happily take advantage of that.
    You're both right. Remainers will blame Leavers and Leavers will blame the EU. In domestic politics that's a problem for Leavers. The EU doesn't stand in Westminster. Also the EU doesn't go away while Leavers might if they get voted out.

PS What is unlikely is that anyone much will think Brexit a success. If you blame others that acknowledges failure. Again I think that's a problem for Leavers.
  • Options

jonny83 said:

What do you think "the core of what they believe" is precisely that is so unpopular?

The core of what Tories believe in is competence and freedom. Both are popular concepts on their own.

The problem is that we face other popular ideas which don't mesh nicely with competence like vast spending on absolutely everything.
  • Options

Your coat, Madam.
  • Options

To be clear, what Major is complaining about is the Treaty of Rome so it's a bizarre complaint.

No he is not he is complaining abut the ECJ interpretation of the Maastricht Treaty and specifically the social chapter.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Here's why Boris , Gove and to an extent Ruth have to win out over the dour managerial boredom of spreadsheet Hammond and robot May

odysseanproject‏ @odysseanproject 23m
    More
    The CAB ‘mostly believe’ the ‘slow grind of governmnt competence cd restore credibility over time’. Total delusion

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41482140

Coming to the view that only Ruth can stop Boris and then Corbyn.

But it looks like the Cam/Osborne gang and money is on Rudd.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703

Sean_F said:

what killed them was that they could not compete with low cost/no frills airlines.

Well that's my take, Southam, but you know......there was 52% of voters who thought otherwise so we just have to sup it up.
    Or not. People change their minds, circumstances change. Political parties don't give up and disband because they lose an election (UKIP excepted). Those against the EC didn't give up after 1975.
    Yes, that's true, Logical, but I don't think there's much that can be done in this case.

For a start, a lot of the damage has already been done, and is irreversible, even if we could reverse back out of the referendum decision, which is doubtful. Best case therefore would be to reapply at some later date, but that would obviously be on inferior terms to those we previously enjoyed.

But isn't it wrong in principle to backtrack? We all have to take responsibility for our actions, collectively as well as individually, even if we were not full aware of the consequences at the time. Parliament made it clear to the electorate that although it thought on the whole Brexit would be bad for the country, it would proceed in the event of a Leave majority. Surely Parliament has to stand by its commitments?

Would anybody want it to be otherwise?
    Thanks for the thoughtful reply.
    My problem with that is the attitude that 'we have made our bed and must lie in it'. Surely if it becomes even more obvious that we have made a mistake we should be able to try to ameliorate or even reverse it. How that could be done is another problem but the principle of being able to reverse bad decisions is surely correct.
    The one time that the electorate has been asked for its opinion since the referendum it refused to give Mrs May a larger majority to, as the Daily Mail put it, 'Crush the Saboteurs'. The fact that Labour were seen as more pro soft Brexit when they may or may not be was good politics on their part.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,703
    Sorry about the edit.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Your coat, Madam.
    :+1:
  • Options

Sean_F said:

The examples you are not thinking of are all the decisions made in council regarding the EU budget. Between 2009 and 2015 the UK lost 35% of the votes on the EU budget.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

No he is not he is complaining abut the ECJ interpretation of the Maastricht Treaty and specifically the social chapter.
    Read it again. It's the ECJ interpretation of the Treaty of Rome, as amended by the Single European Act, that he's talking about. Article 118a on social policy is not from Maastricht.
  • Options

I’ll quit the Tory party if that clown becomes Leader.
    Its not him being a clown I would object to. Its those very serious issues where his views are completely unacceptable.
  • Options

jonny83 said:

This illustrates the Conservatives' problems. Opposing overspending is claptrap. Defining or describing overspending is the proper stuff of political debate.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

The examples you are not thinking of are all the decisions made in council regarding the EU budget. Between 2009 and 2015 the UK lost 35% of the votes on the EU budget.
    That is truly incredible.
  • Options

Read it again. It's the ECJ interpretation of the Treaty of Rome, as amended by the Single European Act, that he's talking about. Article 118a on social policy is not from Maastricht.
    Maastricht was a revising treaty Like almost all EU treaties since the founding it revises previous treaties and cannot be read alone. However Major believed that the UK had negotiated and secured a specific opt out from the social chapter as part of the Maastricht treaty and it is that being circumvented he is objecting to, not the original treaty of Rome.

So, as on so many occasions, you are wrong.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    TGOHF said:

jonny83 said:

That goes some way to explain Jacob Rees-Mogg. People want to hear positivity and enthusiasm for government, which is not happening with people like Hammond, Rudd and the relentlessly negative and remain-dominated broadcast media.

We need to get some of the more positive voices out there, even if they’re not popular with everyone, talking about the opportunities of Brexit and free trade with the world. The likes of JR-M, Michael Gove, Dan Hannan are all very good communicators and relentlessly positive about what Britain can achieve outside the EU.

It would also be good to get more business leaders publicly involved, there’s an awful lot going on when it comes to international trade at the moment, but almost all of it is below the domestic media radar.

Next month I’m going to watch one event in BAE Systems’ and the RAF’s nine-Hawk demonstrator world tour, as an example. They’ve sold dozens of planes in the last month, and are hoping to have sold hundreds of planes and training by the time they get back in the spring. That’s just one example of a number of trade missions and campaigns ongoing, but again there’s no domestic publicity for them. http://greatbritaincampaign.com/#!/home
  • Options

jonny83 said:

What do you think "the core of what they believe" is precisely that is so unpopular?

The core of what Tories believe in is competence and freedom. Both are popular concepts on their own.

The problem is that we face other popular ideas which don't mesh nicely with competence like vast spending on absolutely everything.
    What is the point in reducing political beliefs down to such vague terms as 'competence' and 'freedom', which nobody in the world would oppose? Or ignoring the concrete criticisms of their spending reductions, as if people attack 'austerity' because they're in favour of 'government overspending' and against a balanced budget, as if it's so simple? Surely it's impossible to understand anything about politics in these terms, the real divisions and disagreements that exist between parties, groups, classes, nations, whatever.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    TOPPING said:

Pong said:

jonny83 said:

Lab didn't elect a centre-left leader because at that time the difference between the two parties would have been negligible. It is only now that the Cons have lurched rightwards that a centre-left leader (or indeed centre-right one for that matter, ffs) would be differentiated.
    Sure. It's reaction/counterreaction.

Had Dave won the referendum 55%+ he'd be lord of all he surveys, right now.

Corbyn, a joke.

TM would be shuffling paperclips, planning her retirement.

PM-in-waiting, George Osborne, would be busy nicking every liberal and centre lefty policy he could find for his 2020 manifesto, just as his help to buy policies (due to expire on the eve of the election) pushed house prices new highs.

Dacre and the loony right were about to be consigned to oblivion.
  • Options

Maastricht was a revising treaty Like almost all EU treaties since the founding it revises previous treaties and cannot be read alone. However Major believed that the UK had negotiated and secured a specific opt out from the social chapter as part of the Maastricht treaty and it is that being circumvented he is objecting to, not the original treaty of Rome.

So, as on so many occasions, you are wrong.
    I'm afraid I'm not wrong... Here's the Single European Act (which Major mentions by name in the letter). What he was objecting to was that when negotiating Maastricht he didn't realise that these areas were already within the scope of a previous treaty.

http://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cmsUpload/SingleEuropeanAct_Crest.pdf

Article 118a
    1. Member States shall pay particular attention to encouraging improvements, especially in the working environment, as regards the health and safety of workers, and shall set as their objective the harmonization of conditions in this area, while maintaining the improvements made.
    2. In order to help achieve the objective laid down in the first paragraph, the Council, acting by a qualified majority on a proposal from the Commission, in co-operation with the European Parliament and after consulting the Economic and Social Committee, shall adopt, by means of directives, minimum requirements for gradual implementation, having regard to the conditions and technical rules obtaining in each of the Member States. Such directives shall avoid imposing administrative, financial and legal constraints in a way which
    would hold back the creation and development of small and medium-sized undertakings.
    3. The provisions adopted pursuant to this Article shall not prevent any Member State from maintaining or introducing more stringent measures for the protection of working conditions compatible with this Treaty.’
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited October 2017
    The idea that George Osborne has a conflict of interest because some Blackrock funds invest in Uber is completely silly. I can only assume that the people making such barmy such claims haven't the faintest idea what BlackRock is. For a starter, it's not BlackRock's money, it's their clients' money which is invested in Uber, and secondly, and more importantly, BlackRock has $5.7 trillion under management; Uber's entire market cap doesn't even register as a rounding error on that.
  • Options
    Pong said:

TOPPING said:

Pong said:

jonny83 said:

Sure. It's reaction/counterreaction.

Had Dave won the referendum 55%+ he'd be lord of all he surveys, right now.

Corbyn, a joke.

PM-in-waiting, George Osborne, would be busy nicking every liberal and centre lefty policy he could find for his 2020 manifesto, just as his help to buy policies (due to expire on the eve of the election) pushed house prices new highs.

The loony right were about to be consigned to oblivion.
    You think the Tory Eurosceptics would have settled down quietly after losing the referendum? One can just as easily imagine a UKIP surge among Tory Eurosceptic voters and exposed divisions which the promise of a referendum had kept under wraps.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

Sandpit said:

Very poor response mike,will we see the non stop remain british government bashing side on here do the same about the EU now ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Though there are still a few tricks which will keep the ball rolling for a while...
    And yet every few years people suggest that Moore’s Law is about to break, but they manage to make faster and more efficient fabrication processes. They’re getting a lot closer to connectors the width of atoms though, at which point it will become physically impossible to make them any smaller!
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

TGOHF said:

jonny83 said:

Energy and enthusiasm is what appeals to the young. It's also stuff that doesn't need to actually be realistic, so balanced budgets are never going to win among the young compared to half a trillion quid of free money pulled out of Corbyn's anus.

Older voters appreciate people being able to add two numbers together.
    Austerity, inequality and running a balanced enough budget seem to have become hopelessly confused in peoples' minds and 'Tories' have very different core beliefs. What unites

Clarke, Allen, Soubry, Wollaston or Stewart

with

Mogg, Bone, Redwood, Cash and Fox?

The core of what the former MPs believe would probably win a contest with Corbyn. The core beliefs of the latter would lose the same contest.
  • Options
    An interesting comment by the IFS on the recent announcements on tuition fees:

[lifting the repayment threshold from £21K to £25K] will save middle earning graduates a lot of money - up to £15,700 over their lifetimes. It also represents a big shift in policy raising the long run cost to the taxpayer of providing higher education by around 40%, or over £2.3bn a year in the long run.

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/9965
  • Options

I'm afraid I'm not wrong...

Nope you are wrong. This is from the EU themselves.

The outcome of Maastricht was the Treaty on European Union signed by the Member States of the European Community on 7 February 1992, a Protocol on Social Policy and an Agreement, annexed to the Protocol, between 11 Member States, with the exception of the UK (which benefited from an opt-out), also on Social Policy. The Protocol notes that 11 Member States ‘wish to continue along the path laid down in the 1989 Social Charter [and] have adopted among themselves an Agreement to this end’; accordingly, all 12 Member States:

1. Agree to authorise those 11 Member States [excluding the UK] to have recourse to the institutions, procedures and mechanisms of the Treaty for the purposes of taking among themselves and applying as far as they are concerned the acts and decisions required for giving effect to the above-mentioned Agreement.

2. The [UK] shall not take part in the deliberations and the adoption by the Council of Commission proposals made on the basis of this Protocol and the above-mentioned Agreement...

3. Acts adopted by the Council... shall not be applicable to the [UK].’
    This division in the Community over social policy might have been resolved by the expected victory of the Labour Party in the British general election of April 1992, which would have led to the UK becoming party to the Agreement. Its provisions would then have substituted for the provisions in the Treaty. As this did not happen, there continued in existence two parallel sets of provisions: one applicable to all the Member States (in the Treaty), and one applicable to all but the UK (in the Agreement).
  • Options
    edited October 2017

An interesting comment by the IFS on the recent announcements on tuition fees:

[lifting the repayment threshold from £21K to £25K] will save middle earning graduates a lot of money - up to £15,700 over their lifetimes. It also represents a big shift in policy raising the long run cost to the taxpayer of providing higher education by around 40%, or over £2.3bn a year in the long run.

https://www.ifs.org.uk/publications/9965

It's excellent.

I'm well chuffed. I just hope May stays in power long enough for the autumn budget to pass.
  • Options

Read the letter:

However, in its judgement today, the European Court of Justice has ruled that the scope of Article 118a is much broader than the United Kingdom envisaged when the article was originally agreed, as part of the Single European Act. This appears to mean that legislation which the United Kingdom had expected would be dealt with under the Protocol can in fact be adopted under Article 118a.
  • Options
    Via Mike, I hope the majority of Leavers don’t get this particular hobby horse enacted.

New YouGov poll finds increase in Leavers wanting restoration of capital punishment. In March split was 53-37% - now backed by 69% to 24%

Remainers, according to YouGov oppose reintroduction of capital punishment by 65% to 28%
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

And yet every few years people suggest that Moore’s Law is about to break, but they manage to make faster and more efficient fabrication processes. They’re getting a lot closer to connectors the width of atoms though, at which point it will become physically impossible to make them any smaller!
    Aren't there new technologies being developed thatdoes away with this limitation? 3D arrays and quantum processing?
  • Options

New YouGov poll finds increase in Leavers wanting restoration of capital punishment. In March split was 53-37% - now backed by 69% to 24%

Leaver expert Andrew Lilico favours corporal punishment because it's 'earthy' to 'connect us as a society to pain and blood'.

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/centreright/2008/10/on-judicial-cor.html
  • Options

The idea that George Osborne has a conflict of interest because some Blackrock funds invest in Uber is completely silly. I can only assume that the people making such barmy such claims haven't the faintest idea what BlackRock is. For a starter, it's not BlackRock's money, it's their clients' money which is invested in Uber, and secondly, and more importantly, BlackRock has $5.7 trillion under management; Uber's entire market cap doesn't even register as a rounding error on that.

Chris Frost, chair of the NUJ’s ethics councils, said that the Evening Standard should note Osborne’s role at BlackRock alongside newspaper and online articles it publishes about Uber. The publication did not mention Osborne’s job with BlackRock in Monday’s newspaper.

Frost said: “He [Osborne] ought to make it clear to readers that he has a financial interest in what he is writing about. My advice to editors and journalists would be always to declare your interests.”

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/sep/25/evening-standard-urged-to-declare-osbornes-job-with-uber-shareholder
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,977
    Sandpit said:

TGOHF said:

jonny83 said:

That goes some way to explain Jacob Rees-Mogg. People want to hear positivity and enthusiasm for government, which is not happening with people like Hammond, Rudd and the relentlessly negative and remain-dominated broadcast media.

We need to get some of the more positive voices out there, even if they’re not popular with everyone, talking about the opportunities of Brexit and free trade with the world. The likes of JR-M, Michael Gove, Dan Hannan are all very good communicators and relentlessly positive about what Britain can achieve outside the EU.

It would also be good to get more business leaders publicly involved, there’s an awful lot going on when it comes to international trade at the moment, but almost all of it is below the domestic media radar.

Next month I’m going to watch one event in BAE Systems’ and the RAF’s nine-Hawk demonstrator world tour, as an example. They’ve sold dozens of planes in the last month, and are hoping to have sold hundreds of planes and training by the time they get back in the spring. That’s just one example of a number of trade missions and campaigns ongoing, but again there’s no domestic publicity for them. http://greatbritaincampaign.com/#!/home
    Nobody has ever bought a single Hawk as a result of seeing the RAFAT. That's just not how military aircraft procurement works.
  • Options

Read the letter:

However, in its judgement today, the European Court of Justice has ruled that the scope of Article 118a is much broader than the United Kingdom envisaged when the article was originally agreed, as part of the Single European Act. This appears to mean that legislation which the United Kingdom had expected would be dealt with under the Protocol can in fact be adopted under Article 118a.
    Which was exactly what the agreement under the Protocol was specifically supposed to stop. So again. It is the circumvention of the agreement under the protocol not the Treaty of Rome that he is objecting to.

You are wrong. Admit it and stop making a fool of yourself.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,383
    edited October 2017
    Pong said:

It's the reverse trick the tories are playing on the young and the poor.

Look at these juicy tax cuts and minimum wage rises we've given you!

While deliberately pumping house prices/rents.

Can you tell us more about these "pumped" house prices and rents you are talking about.

On ONS figures, Private Rents in London have risen a little slower than RPI since 2011, and outside London signifcantly (like a third) more slowly. RPI over the period Jan 2011 to Aug 2017 is up 16%. London rents 15%. Outside London rents 11%.

Here is the rent index::

Sources:
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/bulletins/indexofprivatehousingrentalprices/august2017
    http://www.hl.co.uk/tools/calculators/inflation-calculator
  • Options

Frost said: “He [Osborne] ought to make it clear to readers that he has a financial interest in what he is writing about. My advice to editors and journalists would be always to declare your interests.”

Precisely. Osborne doesn't have the slightest financial interest in Uber, or at least not through his role at BlackRock. Like other journalists and editors, he might through any investments he holds, of course.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2017
    And normal service resumes cnn where they are all about how trump is all about trump.
  • Options
    Blue_rog said:

Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Aren't there new technologies being developed thatdoes away with this limitation? 3D arrays and quantum processing?
    Well some very very brainy people have been finding innovative ways to keep Moore’s Law running for more than 50 years now, despite millions of words written during that time suggesting that the end was nigh. I don’t doubt that the scientists will continue to find ways to do things in the future that we haven’t thought about today.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

Via Mike, I hope the majority of Leavers don’t get this particular hobby horse enacted.

Remainers, according to YouGov oppose reintroduction of capital punishment by 65% to 28%

Curiously, support for capital punishment doesn't vary much by age cohort.
  • Options
    OT Is David Davis sincere in claiming he wants to hang up his baton? I get the impression he is not enjoying Brexit but I did assume him to be ambitious. Maybe he realises just how poisoned this Conservative Leader chalice is?
  • Options
    MattW said:

Pong said:

While deliberately pumping house prices.

Yep.

With Brexit followed by Corbyn the UK could be getting the reset it desperately needs after years of governments propping up asset prices at the expense of the young.
    Can you tell us more about these "pumped" house prices and rents you are talking about.

On ONS figures, Private Rents in London have risen a little slower than RPI since 2011, and outside London signifcantly (like a third) more slowly. RPI over the period Jan 2011 to Aug 2017 is up 16%. London rents 15%. Outside London rents 11%.

Sources:
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/inflationandpriceindices/bulletins/indexofprivatehousingrentalprices/august2017
    Rents up 42% in the last 5 years;

https://www.ft.com/content/58bb3090-a53d-11e7-9e4f-7f5e6a7c98a2?mhq5j=e6
  • Options
    Sale of acids to under-18s to be banned, Amber Rudd says
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41484909
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Read the letter:

Which was exactly what the agreement under the Protocol was specifically supposed to stop. So again. It is the circumvention of the agreement under the protocol not the Treaty of Rome that he is objecting to.

You are wrong. Admit it and stop making a fool of yourself.
    The UK exclusion applied to the protocol in Maastricht. It was not intended to exclude the UK from anything in the Single European Act.

This is the judgement in question - http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX:61994CJ0084
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,383
    edited October 2017
    Pong said:

MattW said:

Pong said:

While deliberately pumping house prices.

Yep.

With Brexit followed by Corbyn the UK could be getting the reset it desperately needs after years of governments propping up asset prices at the expense of the young.

Sources:
    Rents up 42% in the last 5 years;

https://www.ft.com/content/58bb3090-a53d-11e7-9e4f-7f5e6a7c98a2?mhq5j=e6
    Subscriber link. Please quote.

Without seeing it, that sounds like the kind of number used by people trying to tempt in new BTL landlords, rather than being an accurate representation of all rented property in the PRS.
This discussion has been closed.