Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMontgomerie says BoJo would be a massive roll of the dice but

Comments

• Options
    RobD said:

dr_spyn said:

twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/915315185644077061

Carles Puigdemont adding his bit to make the rest of the week a good time to not visit Barcelona.

Blimey, a UDI in western europe :o
    Genuine question, isn't a UDI best when done immediately? Not trailed...?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    edited October 2017

Spain = EU

Catalonia = UK

(In attitude, if not physically)

• Options
    RobD said:

dr_spyn said:

Carles Puigdemont adding his bit to make the rest of the week a good time to not visit Barcelona.

And I fly back to UK from Barcelona on the 22nd October. Maybe I need a Catalan flag and photo of Gerard Pique
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

kle4 said:

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

dr_spyn said:
    This looks like it's going from bad to worse?
    Fuck me. Imagine if the Queen did that. End of the monarchy?

And it's not like the Spanish monarchy is massively ancient and widely respected (like the British monarchy). It isn't. It's barely 40 years old, suffered a recent abdication, and is seen by many Spaniards as irrelevant, parasitic or downright venal.

This is not how you DO Constitutional Monarchy.

Spain is headed for a huge crisis.
    Surely the only thing that might prevent a UDI at this point is the low turnout, but on the flip side the Catalan separatists have pushed themselves and been pushed by Madrid to the point can they afford not to at least attempt to make the declaration? Sure, Spain will take away the region's autonomy, but that is surely going to have to happen whether the Catalan government UDIs or not unless Madrid has been bluffing this whole time and is about to offer a whole tranche of new powers, which seems improbable.
    The only reason the turnout wasn't higher is because of the voter suppression and intimidation from the Madrid government's stormtroopers. When you are dragged out of the polling station by your hair, it is a bit harsh to be classed as a no-show.
    Oh indeed - if the turnout had been similar with no suppression, I wonder if they would dare declare, but given they now have very good reason why it was that low, and a reason which means queries about reliability of the turnout amounts and outcome totals seem less important, no wonder they are pushing ahead. The violent response raised the stakes, which were already pretty damn high.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

RobD said:

dr_spyn said:

And I fly back to UK from Barcelona on the 22nd October. Maybe I need a Catalan flag and photo of Gerard Pique
    I have a relative who is (planning on) going to Barcelona this weekend :o
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

dr_spyn said:

I have a relative who is (planning on) going to Barcelona this weekend :o
    Reports from the airport yesterday was that they were just waving passengers through
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

I just got paid an UNEXPECTED £63,000

Plop. 63 grand. In my account, to my total surprise. Turns out it is recent royalties for S K Tremayne in Germany (I had no idea the Fire Child was such a hit there).

I tell you, if you want intermittent, sporadic but quite intense highs, then write a book that Does Well In Foreign Parts.

There is nothing, outwith the sexual act, that is as purely, purely pleasurable as unexpected foreign royalties. It's better than winning the lottery, because that is just luck, and you played no part in it.

I'm having a nice glass of wine from a pleasant part of the EU, to celebrate.

https://youtu.be/Lj-9lSEBBm0
    My 22 year old wife has insisted we go for oysters and champagne. Quite stridently.
    Its not true about oysters as an aphrodisiac. I had a dozen the other night and only eight worked..
  • Options
    Regarding UC. It was obvious to anyone with the slightest grasp of reality that 6 weeks is long enough to reduce people to starvation and all the mental and physical consequences that provides. And there is a mass of evidence of the punitive damage being done to the people this supposedly helps.

And they have chosen to continue anyway. Perhaps the Tory ministers didn't understand the brief - which makes them grossly incompetent. Perhaps they simply don't give a fuck about poor people. Perhaps both. Either way, they deserve a long period in opposition to rediscover their principles
  • Options

Regarding UC. It was obvious to anyone with the slightest grasp of reality that 6 weeks is long enough to reduce people to starvation and all the mental and physical consequences that provides. And there is a mass of evidence of the punitive damage being done to the people this supposedly helps.

And they have chosen to continue anyway. Perhaps the Tory ministers didn't understand the brief - which makes them grossly incompetent. Perhaps they simply don't give a fuck about poor people. Perhaps both. Either way, they deserve a long period in opposition to rediscover their principles

You have not been listening or maybe you do not want to. The Government announced today big changes to the payments including immediate in hardship cases.

But that does not fit your narrative
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

RobD said:

dr_spyn said:

Genuine question, isn't a UDI best when done immediately? Not trailed...?
    Either it requires overwhelming support, or else, ruthless terror.
  • Options
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    Out of the May frying pan-into the Johnson fire.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

I blame the whole UC debacle on ideological purism. I appreciate that some measures have been announced today but it is too little too late. UC is a failure on several levels for instance paying Housing Benefit to the claimant rather than the Landlord complicates the claimants life for no reason what so ever. You have to remember that some of the people who will be moved onto UC have difficulty budgeting or don't even have a bank account to then pay the landlord. People on ESA as well as JSA will be transferred and paid monthly, saying they can have money advanced if in hardship complicates peoples lives again for no other reason than ideology. They will then have to pay the money back again or have it deducted. How on earth can this be deemed to helping them I do not know. To my mind UC has failed and should be scrapped, why does it help claimants on ESA with severe and enduring conditions who are not fit for work to be transferred to this system? I really don't understand why UC is being rolled out further, especially when it clearly is not fit for purpose. IDS is yesterdays news and this stupid system that creates hardship should be buried with IDS's political corpse.
  • Options

You have not been listening or maybe you do not want to. The Government announced today big changes to the payments including immediate in hardship cases.

But that does not fit your narrative
    It exactly fits the narrative. Are they doing it because it's right? Because they have come to that opinion out of decency? Or because they see the tide of public opinion receding and needing to catch up. And now they're backtracking on this how about on the disability "reviews" from non-qualified "medical assesors"? Aside from the damage to the disabled people, it costs the taxpayer in appeal after appeal after appeal that overturns the decision to take away their wheelchair, their carer, their independence, their dignity.

Again, it's unnecessary brutality from a party that doesn't give a toss.
  • Options
    University Maintenance Grants to be re-instated.

Wonder if May will announce it tomorrow
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Just ran the numbers, if that 25k goes up by inflation or wage inflation YoY then the deal is basically the new triple lock for students. In real terms I think it is even better than a 0 tuition fee, 0 loan deal for most students...
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

I blame the whole UC debacle on ideological purism. I appreciate that some measures have been announced today but it is too little too late. UC is a failure on several levels for instance paying Housing Benefit to the claimant rather than the Landlord complicates the claimants life for no reason what so ever. You have to remember that some of the people who will be moved onto UC have difficulty budgeting or don't even have a bank account to then pay the landlord. People on ESA as well as JSA will be transferred and paid monthly, saying they can have money advanced if in hardship complicates peoples lives again for no other reason than ideology. They will then have to pay the money back again or have it deducted. How on earth can this be deemed to helping them I do not know. To my mind UC has failed and should be scrapped, why does it help claimants on ESA with severe and enduring conditions who are not fit for work to be transferred to this system? I really don't understand why UC is being rolled out further, especially when it clearly is not fit for purpose. IDS is yesterdays news and this stupid system that creates hardship should be buried with IDS's political corpse.
    Your ideological purism is another man's helping hand to those who need it.

The current system has clearly failed - dependence on welfare, especially
    Housing benefit, is not positive for individuals or society.
  • Options

Not going to happen. Role out continues after problems addressed by the government today.

• Options

Elliot said:

rcs1000 said:

Feel free to ignore me. I could be wrong. It could be that voters are desperate for someone to the right of Margaret Thatcher with social views anchored very firmly in the 1950s.

Nah. Even I agree with you and, his religious views apart, I do like JRM. But he shouldn't getvwithim a hundred miles of being PM.

I would still like David Davis but accept he is not likely to get the job either by choice or because he cannot enthuse the Tory party.

Otherwise I think they should be looking to bypass all of the current crop of hopefuls. They all have significant faults. Instead they should be looking to the younger generation. Someone like Mercer or Stewart could reinvigorate the party and the electorate.
    Or Kwarteng,

But it has to be the Next Generation.
    Liz Truss and Dominic Raab come across as the most normal yet credible leaders to me.
    She's too busy in China opening new pork markets to be leader.

*Grins*
    https://twitter.com/foxinsoxuk/status/915269302554591233

• Options

With that and the new threshold, we're basically back to the old taxpayer funded system.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549

Probably with a bit of the old fiscal drag coming later to pay for all this.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Remember the old days when people thought Greer was mad?
  • Options
    YellowSubmarineYellowSubmarine Posts: 2,740
    edited October 2017
    R> @RochdalePioneers They are also using migration to introduce the ' waiting days ' to housing costs for some claimants for the first time. The legal threshold for a landlord to start possession proceedings for arrears is 56 days. So if you add the paid 4 weeks in arrears and assessment period together everyone is one DWP cock up away from eviction proceedings.For those claimants who then have 7 additional " waiting days " as well the slack is even less.

At best all of this just shoves additional administrative costs on Landlord, advice services and courts before payment comes through and arrears are cleared. But in some cases Ben a basic DWP delay let alone a major one will get folk evicted.

All this in a country where " No Sufis " on a rental Ad is illegal but ' no DSS ' isn't. It's just one more reason for PRS landless not to take UC claimants as tenants. Which takes us back to Osborne Vs IDS. Many of the most objectionable aspects of UC are nothing to do with UC per se but the fact UC is being used to implement big benefit cuts for new claimants.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

With that and the new threshold, we're basically back to the old taxpayer funded system.
    And ends Corbyn's largesse
  • Options

The absolute certainty of some posters on here that the Tories are hopeless and doomed is somewhat hubristic given that they may have to wait another 4 and half years to find out for sure. Who knows what events will occur in the intervening period?

If it is 4 and a half years to the next election why did Hammond prattle on about Corbyn and Venezuela instead of laying out his own vision for the British economy for the next 4 years?
  • Options
    Just seen the photos of shooter / room. There looks like there is a note on a table next to his body.
  • Options

The absolute certainty of some posters on here that the Tories are hopeless and doomed is somewhat hubristic given that they may have to wait another 4 and half years to find out for sure. Who knows what events will occur in the intervening period?

If it is 4 and a half years to the next election why did Hammond prattle on about Corbyn and Venezuela instead of laying out his own vision for the British economy for the next 4 years?
    Leaving that to Theresa May tomorrow.

It is a very big speech for her and expect some rabbits out of the hat
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,572

It would make a change from rabbits in headlights :smile:
  • Options

Because both sides are trying to both rewrite and re-fight the last election
  • Options
    glw said:

Those would be the days when centrist dad was the kind of voter people wanted to attract rather than label them as filth.
  • Options

It would make a change from rabbits in headlights :smile:
    I like that Ben, fair play
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287

Good enough reason to give him a P45. The over 60s may not change their views on Corbyn, but Hammond has to encourage the under 60s to vote for his lot. Why waste time preaching to the converted?
  • Options
    edited October 2017

R> @RochdalePioneers They are also using migration to introduce the ' waiting days ' to housing costs for some claimants for the first time. The legal threshold for a landlord to start possession proceedings for arrears is 56 days. So if you add the paid 4 weeks in arrears and assessment period together everyone is one DWP cock up away from eviction proceedings.For those claimants who then have 7 additional " waiting days " as well the slack is even less.

At best all of this just shoves additional administrative costs on Landlord, advice services and courts before payment comes through and arrears are cleared. But in some cases Ben a basic DWP delay let alone a major one will get folk evicted.

All this in a country where " No Sufis " on a rental Ad is illegal but ' no DSS ' isn't. It's just one more reason for PRS landless not to take UC claimants as tenants. Which takes us back to Osborne Vs IDS. Many of the most objectionable aspects of UC are nothing to do with UC per se but the fact UC is being used to implement big benefit cuts for new claimants.

The last sentence is damning for Osborne. He was eventually schooled in politics and the right thing to do by IDS.

What a plonker.
  • Options

My advice to anyone wishing to be a landlord is ....... Don't.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    glw said:

What makes it any of Greer's business? It is a matter for the college and the students.
  • Options
    The other issue on UC is timing. When the government pencilled in this Blitzkrieg on migration it thought it would be mid term and the screaming would have stopped by the time it faced a useless Corbyn in 2020. Now it's happening against the back drop of the lost majority and collapse in authority. But additionally in the context of the astonishing transmutation of Corbyn. The treatment of those UC claimants who are in work will chime with the Corbyn surge in a way almost noone could have predicted. And Tory backbenchers who's surgeries will be inundated will view the issue with different eyes.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

No we're not as graduates will still face a 9% increase in their tax bill if they earn more than the threshold!

A doctor or teacher will be on a 9% higher tax rate than a plumber or electrician.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Mortimer said:

Some people are not capable of work, I really don't think UC is appropriate to severely disabled people. I am a political centrist not a purist. The Tory right are obsessed by benefits, the chancellor in the last 24 hours said the UK has a sound and fundamentally strong economy. The UK is also a rich country yet we cannot afford to look after the poor apparently and need to encourage even those medically unfit for work to do so. There is a strong smell surrounding this and it is not just the hypocrisy of politicians who advocate the demonization of the poor whilst receiving pay rises other public servants can only dream about.

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    She is from the left of the party and hates Boris
  • Options

What makes it any of Greer's business? It is a matter for the college and the students.

If something has to be your business in order to offer an opinion this place is going to get awful quiet.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I've never understood why she joined the Conservatives.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited October 2017
    SeanT said:

TMay comes across as a minor shadow minister who is already out of her depth.

Get rid. Enough. Install Boris. If he's a disaster, replace with a new gen MP in 2019.

May is more a deputy head trying to run an assembly, but still out of her depth.

• Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    One suspects if she was in a slightly less rock-solid Tory seat, she would've defected to the Lib Dems or Labour a while ago.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

glw said:

I wonder how they are going to police it.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Mortimer said:

Some people are not capable of work, I really don't think UC is appropriate to severely disabled people. I am a political centrist not a purist. The Tory right are obsessed by benefits, the chancellor in the last 24 hours said the UK has a sound and fundamentally strong economy. The UK is also a rich country yet we cannot afford to look after the poor apparently and need to encourage even those medically unfit for work to do so. There is a strong smell surrounding this and it is not just the hypocrisy of politicians who advocate the demonization of the poor whilst receiving pay rises other public servants can only dream about.

No, I mean what you see as ideological purism others see as pragmatic.

Centrism is not some nirvana-like state which is above ideology; it has an ideology of its own. It fetishises managerialism, media management and the introduction of far more legislation than any ideology ever encountered in this country.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Sean_F said:

Scott_P said:
    One suspects if she was in a slightly less rock-solid Tory seat, she would've defected to the Lib Dems or Labour a while ago.
    Lib Dems with Anna Soubry
  • Options
    RobD said:

glw said:

I'm quite happy to help police the all female colleges.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    SeanT said:

Get rid. Enough. Install Boris. If he's a disaster, replace with a new gen MP in 2019.

The games up!
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

The games up!
    Post 2019
  • Options
    edited October 2017

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

The games up!
    Post 2019
    May lost power in June. She is soon to lose office. Destined to be one of the more tragic figures of British politics.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

The games up!
    Post 2019
    May lost power in June. She is soon to lose office. Destined to be one of the more tragic figures of British politics.
    Want to bet on that?
  • Options

RobD said:

glw said:

Ha! More oppression from the patriarchy!!!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

The games up!
    Post 2019
    Want to bet on that?
    Already have. (the losing office part) No tragic figure betting markets sadly.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    SeanT said:

If the Tories had to resort to a 2nd and a 3rd leader before the next GE they would be toast at that GE for sure.
  • Options

RobD said:

glw said:

Richard Nabavi will be able to tell you more, but at Oxford one of the all female colleges was known as 'virgin megastore'
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Sun trailing council house building programme.

Guess it will be fully costed.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    dr_spyn said:

No need - the Tories have already discovered the magic money tree for the DUP deal - just give it another shake!

Edit: The Tories championing council houses - how times change!
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Love the way politicians care about things and spend public money when they desperately need a headline
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Jonathan said:

Mortimer said:

Jonathan said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

The games up!
    Post 2019
    Want to bet on that?
    Already have. (the losing office part) No tragic figure betting markets sadly.
    So that'll be a no to betting with me on how long she survives, then. Got it. You're still astroturfing.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826
    dr_spyn said:

Good if true
  • Options

RobD said:

glw said:

That sort of thing needs punishing...

https://youtu.be/YZtZAHPmbDc
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

dr_spyn said:

Love the way politicians care about things and spend public money when they desperately need a headline
    Hahaha.

Al Campbell waves hello.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    edited October 2017
    Surely Govt is missing a huge trick.

All that matters to Treasury is cash in and cash out.

But it is the CONCEPT of huge student debt that is toxic - even though most will never be repaid.

Surely they should just cancel all student debt and just have a graduate tax equal to what people are actually repaying.

When discussed the other day, it was rightly pointed out that some people would be much worse off (eg people who paid fees themselves up front etc).

So deal with that anomaly by making the change OPTIONAL - ie give graduates the option of cancelling their debt and moving to graduate tax.

But anyone who prefers to stick with the current arrangement can.

It would cost the Treasury zero (or at least close to zero) but would surely be a massive political win.
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

No need - the Tories have already discovered the magic money tree for the DUP deal - just give it another shake!

And cuts in tuition fees.

Remind me. Are the Tories implementing their own manifesto? or did they accidentally swap it for a spare copy of Corbyn's one?
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Remind me. Are the Tories implementing their own manifesto? or did they accidentally swap it for a spare copy of Corbyn's one?
    https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/884826906255929344?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/07/12/jeremy-corbyn-is-becoming-a-very-confident-and-assured-politician/
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    dr_spyn said:

Is the Cameron proposal on the right to buy a housing association house still policy ?
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

dr_spyn said:

Is the Cameron proposal on the right to buy a housing association house still policy ?
    It should be.

Use the money to build a new house for each one sold.

Job done.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

If the Tories had to resort to a 2nd and a 3rd leader before the next GE they would be toast at that GE for sure.
    Really? Who the F knows anymore. Labour have been reborn under.... Corbyn.

The Republicans won under.... Trump.

Macron started an entirely new party and won the French presidency and the French parliament.

Relying on received political wisdom seems, to me, to be an unreliable method in western democracies in the new and profound era of Western Secular Decline (which is where we are).
    Yeah, fair point... nothing's 'for sure' these days.

(I still think 3 PMs between GEs would look pretty pathetic, both for the country and the party.)
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    Mortimer said:

Feel free to ignore me. I could be wrong. It could be that voters are desperate for someone to the right of Margaret Thatcher with social views anchored very firmly in the 1950s.

You throw around Thatcher as an insult. She was an unbeaten election winner.
    who went gaga and got booted out by her party
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

That only cost a billion - not peanuts, but as the price, in theory, for a stablish government for 5 years, it wouldn't be bad. It's all the other stuff that's more problematic.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

Really? Who the F knows anymore. Labour have been reborn under.... Corbyn.

The Republicans won under.... Trump.

Macron started an entirely new party and won the French presidency and the French parliament.

Relying on received political wisdom seems, to me, to be an unreliable method in western democracies in the new and profound era of Western Secular Decline (which is where we are).
    Yeah, fair point... nothing's 'for sure' these days.

(I still think 3 PMs between GEs would look pretty pathetic, both for the country and the party.)
    I'm inclined to agree - unless the third one was a game changer, odds are it would just add to the chaos, confusion and dispiriting of the Tory base I suspect. Better to try one more out.

I do think the Tories need to be resigned to being behind in the polls for some while - had we not had an election, in mid term we'd have been expecting that would we not? Keep plugging away, and then hope the government manages something decent from a brexit deal - winning an election 10-12 years would always be hard, and a brexit so successful to make that probable will be very hard, but is their best hope - anyone angry about austerity is going to carry that through til the next election anyway, that battle can only be mitigated against, not won.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469

Elliot said:

rcs1000 said:

Nah. Even I agree with you and, his religious views apart, I do like JRM. But he shouldn't getvwithim a hundred miles of being PM.

I would still like David Davis but accept he is not likely to get the job either by choice or because he cannot enthuse the Tory party.

Otherwise I think they should be looking to bypass all of the current crop of hopefuls. They all have significant faults. Instead they should be looking to the younger generation. Someone like Mercer or Stewart could reinvigorate the party and the electorate.
    Or Kwarteng,

Liz Truss and Dominic Raab come across as the most normal yet credible leaders to me.

*Grins*

I'm afraid I do have to ask this, but did Gove actually say that about pig's ears? Sorry, but normally I would just ignore it, but this week seems to be a Charles Dodgson fantasy gone mad!
  • Options
    MikeL said:

But it is the CONCEPT of huge student debt that is toxic - even though most will never be repaid.

Surely they should just cancel all student debt and just have a graduate tax equal to what people are actually repaying.

When discussed the other day, it was rightly pointed out that some people would be much worse off (eg people who paid fees themselves up front etc).

So deal with that anomaly by making the change OPTIONAL - ie give graduates the option of cancelling their debt and moving to graduate tax.

It would cost the Treasury zero (or at least close to zero) but would surely be a massive political win.

Yep. This would be very sensible.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    No one seems to have noticed the signs of Spanish government contingency plans to take direct control of the Catalonia region. When you have military units being tagged to role 'in support of the civil authorities' and military police units being readied to move to neighboring Aragon, its clear they have some sort of back pocket plan. .
  • Options

RobD said:

glw said:

That sort of thing needs punishing...

youtu.be/YZtZAHPmbDc
    Well ... yes... I mean... Michael Palin??!!????

Now, if it was Karl Urban.. Ooo la la !!

• Options
    Y0kel said:

No one seems to have noticed the signs of Spanish government contingency plans to take direct control of the Catalonia region. When you have military units being tagged to role 'in support of the civil authorities' and military police units being readied to move to neighboring Aragon, its clear they have some sort of back pocket plan. .

Good grief.

That is going to get ugly if the case...
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

Indeed, how do all the PB tories feel about TM implementing the Labour manifesto, I wonder?
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/884826906255929344?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/07/12/jeremy-corbyn-is-becoming-a-very-confident-and-assured-politician/
    How can the Tories survive more "victories" like June?
  • Options

dr_spyn said:

I suspect hung parliaments are a feature of our electoral landscape until things become less polarised.
  • Options

RobD said:

glw said:

Richard Nabavi will be able to tell you more, but at Oxford one of the all female colleges was known as 'virgin megastore'
    Bl**dy dark blue misogynists!! It is a disgrace!!!!

:D
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811

Scott_P said:
    Unbelievable a Tory who does not look like she has been hit by a bus
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Scott_P said:
    Unbelievable a Tory who does not look like she has been hit by a bus
    and under 70 years old :D
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

dr_spyn said:

I suspect hung parliaments are a feature of our electoral landscape until things become less polarised.
    Or when Dave becomes leader again.

Only Tory to win a majority in the last quarter of a century.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    That may be, but this latest gaffe or joke, whatever it as, by Boris is beyond bizarre. It's so extraordinary that it's not even really offensive, just utterly weird.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

dr_spyn said:

Several resident Corbynites would like you to meet AL Blair
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited October 2017
    dr_spyn said:
    Finally a sensible policy focusing on actually building affordable housing rather than help to buy which just increases prices by 20-40 per cent and makes developers richer but young people either even more indebted (if they can stretch to a £500k one bed new build in Harlesden) or if not then even more priced out!

If people are going to have to rent for the rest of their lives at least they should have security of tenure - not living at constant risk of homelessness at two months notice if their landlord wants to jack up the rent or sell. A truly shocking situation for young families in particular who have to move and find new schools etc.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

dr_spyn said:

I would have thought more polarisation would lead to less chance of hung parliaments with our FPTP system, as the middle gets squeezed out?
  • Options

Mortimer said:

dr_spyn said:

Except he wouldn't come back to parliament unless he could be leader, I would guess, and he couldn't be leader unless an MP, realistically.

I'd like to see a former PM serve in the cabinet of a successor - when was the last time it happened? Even if it wouldn't happen in the immediate aftermath, I'd have thought the benefit of our system would be being able to call upon the services of a former leader.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited October 2017
    kle4 said:

Mortimer said:

dr_spyn said:

Except he wouldn't come back to parliament unless he could be leader, I would guess, and he couldn't be leader unless an MP, realistically.

I'd like to see a former PM serve in the cabinet of a successor - when was the last time it happened? Even if it wouldn't happen in the immediate aftermath, I'd have thought the benefit of our system would be being able to call upon the services of a former leader.
    Alec Douglas Home, he served as Foreign Secretary in Ted Heath's government.

PS - Lord Cameron as PM with George Osborne as his representative in The Commons works for me.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Scott_P said:
    That may be, but this latest gaffe or joke, whatever it as, by Boris is beyond bizarre. It's so extraordinary that it's not even really offensive, just utterly weird.
    Surely it can't be Boris. He may be a Tory, but he's no Conservative or conservative.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    OchEye said:

Elliot said:

rcs1000 said:

Or Kwarteng,

*Grins*

I'm afraid I do have to ask this, but did Gove actually say that about pig's ears? Sorry, but normally I would just ignore it, but this week seems to be a Charles Dodgson fantasy gone mad!
    Yes, according to Google results for a search for pig's ear in news.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Is Private Eye coming out tomorrow, or will the print run be delayed until Friday?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

She's not up to it, sadly.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited October 2017
    Police have found even more guns at shooters other home in Reno....it sounds like he owned more guns than the number of women SeanT has bedded
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MikeL said:

Yep. This would be very sensible.
    How difficult to administer! It means a lot more people in a lot more correspondence with HMRC.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Mortimer said:

Yorkcity said:

dr_spyn said:

It should be.

Use the money to build a new house for each one sold.

Job done.
    Yes I think that was the idea , but not heard anything since he announced it , back in 2015 GE.
  • Options
    Y0kel said:

What choice do they have, if Catalonia tries to declare UDI?

For that matter, how do the Catalan nationalists even think UDI would work? From an international point of view it would still be part of Spain, certainly no EU country would recognise it. If the Spanish government didn't intervene, Catalonia would be left in a legal limbo with banks not clearly able to operate (would they operate under Spanish law in this supposedly independent country?), and airlines not able to land. Even trade in goods to across the border with the EU would be in legal and regulatory limbo.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

SeanT said:

She's not up to it, sadly.
    Perhaps so, but if she's not jumping and Boris doing a David Miliband, they're pretty stuck - they will suffer in the polls and perhaps create an unstoppable narrative, but I think given the ructions at the top, the best option may be to get to the EU transition period, if it can be agreed, then switch to a new generation MP, a new face for a new Britain, and hope whoever that is can turn the party fortunes around.

Better than flailing around with senior figures obviously loathing one another - they're certainly briefing it to journalists enough, the various camps, and the denials come across as phony as the Blair-Brown feud denials - but not strong enough to take each other on in a fight, and then one of the damaged old guard ousting May down the line.
This discussion has been closed.