Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » TMay struggles on in spite of a bad cough and having to deal w

1235»

Comments

• foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

rkrkrk said:

What proportion of these anonymous anecdotes are made up?

There have been loads since the election but very little in the way of an actual challenge... I'm not saying it won't happen - but what are the Tories waiting for?

Is it just that resentment of Boris and not wanting him to be PM means they will support TM?
    It's more than that. A leadership contest could well lead to one (or more) of the following:

1) An irrevocable split in the Tory Party
    2) The collapse of the Brexit talks
    3) A Corbyn-led government
    4) Another general election

You say it like it's a bad thing :)
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Hammond; "Hmmmmmmm...."

Rudd: "OMG"

Boris: "YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"
    Actually, Boris looks like he is almost crying, and his face is full of human empathy, and pity (which is the natural reaction, the speech was so sad)

I am acquainted with Boris Johnson. He is ambitious and smart and he can be ruthless, but he is not some evil careerist monster. He is also, sincerely, a eurosceptic.
    I was only joking.

I like Boris and as an "outsider" to the Tory Party it looks like a "no-brainer" for him to take over from Theresa like yesterday...
    Boris as PM will be a bigger disaster than Theresa May.

Trust me, trust JohnO, trust Michael Gove.
    Hoe does this ministry sound to you:

PM- Boris

CotE - Gove

Foreign Sec - JRM

Home Sec - Priti

Would you tear up your membership card? :D
    Awful. Just awful.

I’d remain a member but wouldn’t campaign for it until we returned to sanity.
    Yep, a restful period on the sidelines doing bugga all campaigning would beckon.
  • Not heard of him before to my shame. He is right in every aspect of that speech. Not least the last one about the British Government.

Googling him I also noticed a tweet from a few days ago from him:

"Everybody says that the #CatalanReferendum was illegal. There were several independence movements which were "illegal". Following this reasoning the USA would have remained a colony of UK. One cannot ignore the desire of millions of Catalans."
  • I am not sure I understand what happened with regard to the prankster.

If the prankster used a BBC pass, or was vouched for by the BBC, then I would have thought it was they who should be answering searching questions.

(I’ve no particularly brief to defend Theresa May, I think she should go)

But, if journalists are to be allowed access to politicians & passes to conferences, then news organisations need to behave responsibly.

Have you got a link to it being a BBC pass?
  • EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

SeanT said:

GIN1138 said:

Scott_P said:
    Hammond; "Hmmmmmmm...."

Rudd: "OMG"

Boris: "YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS"
    Actually, Boris looks like he is almost crying, and his face is full of human empathy, and pity (which is the natural reaction, the speech was so sad)

I am acquainted with Boris Johnson. He is ambitious and smart and he can be ruthless, but he is not some evil careerist monster. He is also, sincerely, a eurosceptic.
    I was only joking.

I like Boris and as an "outsider" to the Tory Party it looks like a "no-brainer" for him to take over from Theresa like yesterday...
    Boris as PM will be a bigger disaster than Theresa May.

Trust me, trust JohnO, trust Michael Gove.
    How does this ministry sound to you:

PM- Boris

CotE - Gove

Foreign Sec - JRM

Home Sec - Priti

David Davis - Brexit Sec

Would you tear up your membership card? :D
    I'd get a membership card.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,695

I am not sure I understand what happened with regard to the prankster.

If the prankster used a BBC pass, or was vouched for by the BBC, then I would have thought it was they who should be answering searching questions.

But, if journalists are to be allowed access to politicians & passes to conferences, then news organisations need to behave responsibly.

DId Boy George ever show his face? Wonder what he did with his pass... ;)
    However, I would offer Rees-Mogg a middle ranking job in one of the more important Departments, perhaps Minister of State at DWP?
  • YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172

Mr. Cwsc, is it confirmed it was a BBC pass?

If he walked in with no pass, then that is clearly a security issue & responsibility lies with G4S (who were paid to be in charge of security).

If he misused a journalist’s pass or BBC pass, the responsibility lies with the news organisation.

Obviously, more details needed.
  • AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    JohnO said:

However, I would offer Rees-Mogg a middle ranking job in one of the more important Departments, perhaps Minister of State at DWP?

PPS for David Davis looks like the appropriate limit for his abilities.
  • JohnO said:

Given his Catholicism, surely he'll be better suited to being a PUSS at Northern Ireland?
  • JohnO said:

So David Davis would have JRM as his PPS and Stewart Jackson as his Chief of Staff.

That's a scary thought even before you realise that would be in DExEU
  • Private Frazer?
  • I listened to it live on the radio. It was genuinely difficult to hear her struggle. You could tell by the panic in her voice that she knew it wasn't just a cough, it was turning into some sort of metaphor for her premiership. Near the end, I was begging her to stop, and just say "Fuck it. Fuck Brexit, fuck Boris, fuck labour, and fuck all of you. I've had enough of this shit, and I'm off. Fight it out amongst yourselves."
    I think the twat with the P45 needs to have a word with himself.
    On the whole, I think she's done for and I think she knows it's a case of sooner rather than later.
    edited October 2017

JohnO said:

We've no idea about his political and administrative abilities, and the capacity to defend policies in the Commons and outside with which he may personally disagree, until these are tested. PPS is a no-job.
  • You don't understand how this confidential sources malarkey works.
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Just catching up on headlines.

May is gone, right?
    Jonathan said:

May is gone, right?

Wrong.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Cyclefree said:

Have they repaid us the billions Osborne lent them a few years ago when their banks were going down the toilet?

Would that be the billions we lent them to stop our own banks from getting into even more trouble?
    Jonathan said:

May is gone, right?

I think she's in the "consulting colleagues" phase...
  • GIN1138 said:

Just TMay just have bad luck? I mean: a cold, letters  alling down, a comedian sneaking through.

Exactly which parts of this her  ault?

In life you make your own luck...
    "In my experience, there's no such thing as luck!" - Obi-Wan Kenobi.

The Manchester police have stated that he “had accreditation” (quoted in the Telegraph).

We know he was posing as a journalist (a photographer).

Let’s wait and see what emerges, but, if he was using the pass of any news organisation, it is the news organisation who have behaved irresponsibly.

• Jonathan said:

May is gone, right?

If she were a dog, she'd be taken round back and well you know.
  • Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

rkrkrk said:

What proportion of these anonymous anecdotes are made up?

There have been loads since the election but very little in the way of an actual challenge... I'm not saying it won't happen - but what are the Tories waiting for?

Is it just that resentment of Boris and not wanting him to be PM means they will support TM?
    It's more than that. A leadership contest could well lead to one (or more) of the following:

1) An irrevocable split in the Tory Party
    2) The collapse of the Brexit talks
    3) A Corbyn-led government
    4) Another general election

You say it like it's a bad thing :)
    :D
  • You don't understand how this made-up drivel malarkey works.
    Fixed it for you :innocent:
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921

JohnO said:

He is a better communicator than every single member of the cabinet. What of his abilities limits him?
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

May is gone, right?

Wrong.
    Really? How does she regain lost confidence?
    Cowards hide behind rumours

The Manchester police have stated that he “had accreditation” (quoted in the Telegraph).

Let’s wait and see what emerges, but, if he was using the pass of any news organisation, it is the news organisation who have behaved irresponsibly.

So no evidence it was a BBC pass, just speculation on your part?
  • Mortimer said:

JohnO said:

He is a better communicator than every single member of the cabinet. What of his abilities limits him?
    His hypocrisy, his thoughts on food banks for starters.
    Cowards hide behind rumours
    You mean like Mrs May and her team.

Read my post.

I said .... “IF the prankster used a BBC pass ...”

edited October 2017

I listened to it live on the radio. It was genuinely difficult to hear her struggle. You could tell by the panic in her voice that she knew it wasn't just a cough, it was turning into some sort of metaphor for her premiership. Near the end, I was begging her to stop, and just say "Fuck it. Fuck Brexit, fuck Boris, fuck labour, and fuck all of you. I've had enough of this shit, and I'm off. Fight it out amongst yourselves."
    On the whole, I think she's done for and I think she knows it's a case of sooner rather than later.

If this goes on much longer I could see her actually becoming very unwell.

Nobody wants to see that (well Osborne and TSE might but nobody with any compassion would want to see it)

Read my post.

But why choose the BBC, instead of say Sky News, or The Sun?
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542

A press pass at the Conservative Party Conference costs £875. Never was a cheap stunt so expensive.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,835

Just TMay just have bad luck? I mean: a cold, letters  alling down, a comedian sneaking through.

Doesn't she run the Conservative Party? Apart from the cold they are all the party's fault.
    Jonathan said:

JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

May is gone, right?

Wrong.
    An extensive reshuffle before Christmas, coupled with substantive action to make a reality of her conference pledges.

I don't think she will lead the party into the next election: her political duty is to bring forward talent into prominent positions so that MPs, the membership and then the electorate have a new PM with the credibility to take the Tories to victory in 2022. It's difficult but doable.
  • JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

May is gone, right?

Wrong.
    An extensive reshuffle before Christmas, coupled with substantive action to make a reality of her conference pledges.

I don't think she will lead the party into the next election: her political duty is to bring forward talent into prominent positions so that MPs, the membership and then the electorate have a new PM with the credibility to take the Tories to victory in 2022. It's difficult but doable.
    Sounds like she should make Ken Clarke Foreign Secretary.
    I think The Good Lord is trying to put the best spin on it he can.

It was an unmitigated disaster...
  • GIN1138 said:

I listened to it live on the radio. It was genuinely difficult to hear her struggle. You could tell by the panic in her voice that she knew it wasn't just a cough, it was turning into some sort of metaphor for her premiership. Near the end, I was begging her to stop, and just say "Fuck it. Fuck Brexit, fuck Boris, fuck labour, and fuck all of you. I've had enough of this shit, and I'm off. Fight it out amongst yourselves."

Nobody wants to see that (well Osborne and TSE might but nobody with any compassion would want to see it)
    Lies, I want her gone, because I want a chance to win the next election, as does Mr Osborne.

The longer she stays, the bigger Corbyn's majority.

JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

May is gone, right?

Wrong.

No, Jeremy Hunt.
    edited October 2017

Read my post.

But why choose the BBC, instead of say Sky News, or The Sun?
    Perhaps because the prankster has often appeared on the BBC .... and so has friends and connections among BBC journalists.

However, for your sake, I could repeat the whole post with billions of other news organisations ... or you could just read it, and internally process what ‘if’ means.

Actually, the whole incident reminded me of something in Fear & Loathing on the Campaign Trail. Hunter Thompson gave his Rolling Stone journalist’s pass to someone (the BooHoo) who went on to heckle and manhandle Senator Ed Muskie.

Hunter was quite properly censured for this by other journalists.
  • JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

May is gone, right?

Wrong.

Agreed but the reshuffle needs to come in the next couple of weeks

The incident today with the P45 prank looks like it gives her the excuse as her party chairman resigns or stands down as he said he would anyway
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,786
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

May is gone, right?

Wrong.

No, Jeremy Hunt.
    Ken should be PM. The Churchill of Remain.
  • So, the choices are:

Boris Johnson
    Jacob Rees Mogg
    Amber Rudd
    Phillip Hammond
    David Davis
    Jeremy Corbin

to be the next PM of the finest country in the World.

To quote the immortal Brian Potter, "Sweet Baby Jesus and all the orphans!"
  • JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

May is gone, right?

Wrong.

No, Jeremy Hunt.
    I'd be very happy with that.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,715
    JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

JohnO said:

Jonathan said:

May is gone, right?

Wrong.

No, Jeremy Hunt.
    Get him away from Health, please!

GIN1138 said:

Lies, I want her gone, because I want a chance to win the next election, as does Mr Osborne.

We've been through this countless times: if she goes now, the contest will likely be between Davis and Johnson. Is that what you REALLY want? And, if by chance, it's Amber Rudd on the ballot from the MPs (not Johnson), she will lose badly to DD.
    edited October 2017

GIN1138 said:

Lies,
    :D
  • JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

So, the choices are:

Boris Johnson
    Jacob Rees Mogg
    Amber Rudd
    Phillip Hammond
    David Davis
    Jeremy Corbin

Project Fear wasn't nearly afraid enough.
  • JohnO said:

GIN1138 said:

We've been through this countless times: if she goes now, the contest will likely be between Davis and Johnson. Is that what you REALLY want? And, if by chance, it's Amber Rudd on the ballot from the MPs (not Johnson), she will lose badly to DD.
    To be honest, it has become so bad, I think David Davis as PM is preferable to Mrs May as PM.

Plus, it'll be fun to see David Davis deliver Brexit he promised was so easy and deliverable.

I'm not worried about Boris, Michael Gove can work his magic on the Prime Ministerial ambitions of Boris, again.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited October 2017

So, the choices are:

Boris Johnson
    Jacob Rees Mogg
    Amber Rudd
    Phillip Hammond
    David Davis
    Jeremy Corbin

Edit - Beaten to it by JonathanD
  • Well looks like google want to give Sonos a kicking.

JohnO said:

GIN1138 said:

To be honest, it has become so bad, I think David Davis as PM is preferable to Mrs May as PM.

Plus, it'll be fun to see David Davis deliver Brexit he promised was so easy and deliverable.

I'm not worried about Boris, Michael Gove can work his magic on the Prime Ministerial ambitions of Boris, again.
    Ah, so you've become a Tory revolutionary defeatist. There we part company.
  • VerulamiusVerulamius Posts: 1,429
    If TM is not willing to resign as PM (after appropriate persuasion) then public statements of no confidence would need to be made. A few cabinet ministers could resign (with potential personal political fall out) or elder statesmen/women (eg Hague?).
  • JohnO said:

I know, I just find it depressing that she's our least worst option, and this is what has become of our party.

I'll do my best to stop DD/JRM/Boris becoming PM, and will follow your wise counsel once more.

I suppose I should remember a year ago many people thought the Tories would be in power until 2030 at least, things could swing back so sharply again.
  • What a daft prank. I find these kinds of attempts at public humiliation far worse than people being sweary on twitter etc. Not funny, just nasty.

JohnO said:

I know, I just find it depressing that she's our least worst option, and this is what has become of our party.

I'll do my best to stop DD/JRM/Boris becoming PM, and will follow your wise counsel once more.

I suppose I should remember a year ago many people thought the Tories would be in power until 2030 at least, things could swing back so sharply again.
    I should add that my 'support' for Mrs May is absolutely conditional that she starts behaving like a Prime Minister and least makes an attempt at displaying the smack of firm government. If we're still drifting along aimlessly by early 2018 at the latest, then she will have to go.
  • JohnO said:

JohnO said:

I should add that my 'support' for Mrs May is absolutely conditional that she starts behaving like a Prime Minister and least makes an attempt at displaying the smack of firm government. If we're still drifting along aimlessly by early 2018 at the latest, then she will have to go.
    Surely you'll be calling for her to go after the 2018 summer recess?

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

In these troubled times, my own financial well-being must be subordinated to the national interest.

What a daft prank. I find these kinds of attempts at public humiliation far worse than people being sweary on twitter etc. Not funny, just nasty.

I agree.

Theresa was already beyond saving, dead & buried

The prankster just looks like a bully.
  • Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

I don't like Mrs May. She is a difficult person to like. I don't have a high regard for her abilities or her judgment. I am concerned that someone with such poor judgment is in charge of our country at this time.

But that was cruel. This is a woman who has given her life to public service. She has a very strong reputation for integrity. She really didn't deserve that. I like to think that if I was doing this to myself my better half would have a word.

I agree with this. I thought she ought to go after the election. Her health is more important, frankly.

I also don't agree that she has no political skills or empathy. She is unsuited to be PM and is shy and lacking in charisma. But the Hillsborough families spoke highly of her help and of her genuine concern for them. Her work on anti-slavery is worthwhile and she finally got rid of the loathsome Qatada. She was also right in what she said to the Police Federation about the treatment of black youths and, frankly, in what she said to the Tories when they were in Opposition about how they were perceived. She also did quite a lot to help women Tory candidates. I think her first speech as PM was very good. So she meant well. But she lacked the ability to follow through on it and has been utterly overwhelmed by Brexit.

May is an example of the Peter principle in action. Some people grow into a role. She has not. But, let's face it, difficult to see who would given the enormous and probably irreconcilable pressures on anyone becoming PM in the wake of the referendum result.

If Corbyn becomes PM I would expect him to be overwhelmed as well. It is far far easier to make a diagnosis of what has gone wrong than it is to come up with practical solutions which command the support of the Cabinet, MPs, voters and, in the case of negotiations, the EU.

We need a Solomon. What we have is a Frank Spencer. Waiting in the wings is "Wolfie" Smith.

Excellent post Cyclefree, I totally agree.

Felt sorry for May today (though I must admit when I initially heard about the Lee Nelson prank I did find it a bit funny, sorry guys). I think she should walk away at this stage, it’s clear that she isn’t up to the job. Of course, then the problem becomes who do you replace her with?
  • foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    SeanT said:

Twelve more men 'who raped eight girls under 16' are charged in new probe into Asian sex gangs in Rotherham

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4948528/Twelve-men-charged-Rotherham-sex-investigation.html

Why do they keep saying 'Asian'? A more accurate descriptor should be applied.
    235 victims in this one case, in one town, Rotherham.

I remember when tyson and foxinsox were on PB, loudly pooh-poohing the idea there could be as many as 1400 victims in total over decades, and said the Muslim grooming scandal was imaginary, and a load of right wing racist hysteria.

Not PB's finest hour.
    That is not what I said, but the moderstors have asked me not to discuss the matter on here with you, and I shall respect their wishes.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    edited October 2017

A speech which was twice the length it needed to be - particularly if she were having problems with her voice - and more or less void of content...
    Who else is responsible for that ?

The housing policy - which might have changed the narrative - was utterly feeble. And what the hell is the 'British Dream' ? Sounds like something to do with Arthur and Merlin.

• SeanT said:

JohnO said:

I know you hate Boris for stabbing your heroes, and winning the Brexit ref, but what's your beef with DD? He's a fairly standard libertarian Tory, with a much more impressive backstory than, say, Cameron.

He's prone to narcissism, and occasionally a bit flaky, but he's also fairly charming, and obviously intelligent. Shame he's a little past it, now.

Theory: the Tory party would be in a far, far better position - likewise the country - if they'd chosen Davis over Cameron back in 2007.

Agree entirely - although it was 2005 not 2007.
  • MJWMJW Posts: 1,282
    FF43 said:

A press pass at the Conservative Party Conference costs £875. Never was a cheap stunt so expensive.
    If it was a photographer's pass, It's fairly common for snappers to be freelance, albeit often with the backing of an agency who they attend an event on behalf of. It wouldn't take too much to set up a real looking agency, send people along to few low level events and build a relationship with the press team. That might be part of the issue - I'd imagine the Tories press procedures are less thorough than No. 10.

Simon Brodkin, the guy who did it, is about as funny as a hole in the head - but very good at this kind of thing. A couple of years ago he managed to hurl Nazi golf balls at then candidate Donald Trump. He also managed to scatter money over Sepp Blatter. Obviously very good at creating an elaborate set up that gets him places he shouldn't be. He won't be with the BBC -Think they dropped his show a while back as it was awful.
  • SeanT said:

JohnO said:

I know you hate Boris for stabbing your heroes, and winning the Brexit ref, but what's your beef with DD? He's a fairly standard libertarian Tory, with a much more impressive backstory than, say, Cameron.

He's prone to narcissism, and occasionally a bit flaky, but he's also fairly charming, and obviously intelligent. Shame he's a little past it, now.

Theory: the Tory party would be in a far, far better position - likewise the country - if they'd chosen Davis over Cameron back in 2007.

There would be no Tory party had Davis beaten Cameron in 2005, Brown would have won the snap election against Davis,

He's not a civil libertarian.

For starters he opposed same sex marriage.

He also wants to bring in a de facto ID card for EU citizens.

He's a hypocrite, he is opposed to foreign courts meddling in our country, but went to the European Court of Justice to stop the government legislation.

He consistently wings it, as we're seeing with Brexit, he's just not good enough.
  • JohnO said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

In these troubled times, my own financial well-being must be subordinated to the national interest.
    You, sir, are a true patriot.

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

And I really, really, must pay you back for your superlative generosity and company. Not that I'm conceding that she will have gone by next summer!!
  • SeanT said:

SeanT said:

JohnO said:

There would be no Tory party had Davis beaten Cameron in 2005, Brown would have won the snap election against Davis,

He's a hypocrite, he is opposed to foreign courts meddling in our country, but went to the European Court of Justice to stop the government legislation.

He consistently wings it, as we're seeing with Brexit, he's just not good enough.
    lol. David "essay crisis" Cameron was the very definition of "winging it", he thought he could "wing" the EU negotiation, and then "wing" the EU referendum.

Oops.
    As Mr Urquhart of this parish will point out, the civil servants pointed out that Dave was someone who always read his briefings.

Unlike DD.
  • SeanT said:

SeanT said:

JohnO said:

lol. David "essay crisis" Cameron was the very definition of "winging it", he thought he could "wing" the EU negotiation, and then "wing" the EU referendum.

Oops.
    As Mr Urquhart of this parish will point out, the civil servants pointed out that Dave was someone who always read his briefings.

Unlike DD.
    Trouble is that Cameron might have read them but he clearly didn't understand them.
  • SeanT said:

SeanT said:

JohnO said:

Oops.

Unlike DD.
    Trouble is that Cameron might have read them but he clearly didn't understand them.
    He did though.
  • JohnO said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

And I really, really, must pay you back for your superlative generosity and company. Not that I'm conceding that she will have gone by next summer!!
    Let me get the next fortnight out of the way, and I'll email you some dates, I've got a couple of London trips in the offing.
  • SeanT said:

JohnO said:

Davis would have walked all over Brown. In fact he would have won a majority instead of falling short and ending up in a coalition like Cameron. Hell, even May managed to get 2 million more votes than Cameron ever got and she is utter rubbish.
  • SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

JohnO said:

Oops.

Unlike DD.
    Apparently Cameron loftily told Merkel and Hollande that they shouldn't worry, he would win the EU referendum easily, something like 70/30. Then I suppose he went back to playing Fruit Ninja on his iPad.

Oh dear.
    Dave's two major blunders on the EU ref were

1) Trying to sell his deal as awesome

2) He thought the Leave side would be Farage, John Redwood, and the rest of the Tory freak show.

3) When he realised he would be facing the likes of Gove and Boris, he should have gone medieval on their asses, he didn't want to go blue on blue.

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

Let me get the next fortnight out of the way, and I'll email you some dates, I've got a couple of London trips in the offing.
    That's cheered me up no end from my current man-flu. Glad I didn't have to make a speech today.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited October 2017

SeanT said:

JohnO said:

Davis would have walked all over Brown. In fact he would have won a majority instead of falling short and ending up in a coalition like Cameron. Hell, even May managed to get 2 million more votes than Cameron ever got and she is utter rubbish.
    Only one of those three won a majority.

I'm sure the man who campaigned like this would have walked over Brown, LOLZ.

David Davis is a tit.

• SeanT said:

SeanT said:

JohnO said:

Oops.

Unlike DD.
    He did though.
    Clearly, yer man Cameron is the one to blame for the state of your party, and the Nation. Rightly or wrongly, he instigated the Referendum, and then threw the towel in as soon as he could despite his words that he'd stay on for a bit. If he'd hung around, maybe yer other man Osborne might have been in with a chance? Mind you, I can't blame him. He's got a hot wife, loads of money and a lifestyle not many of us will ever have. Why would he hang around to sort the mess out?
  • Theresa May constantly makes me think of Merleau-Ponty: 'In accepting the chance of glory in the role of politician, he accepts also the risk of infamy, in either case "undeserved".'

She had the undeserved glory and her problem was that she believed it, and now she has the undeserved infamy, and her problem is that she believes it too. It's just getting depressing, she's clearly hanging on to give her successor a better chance rather than being tarred with the difficulties of Brexit negotiations (i.e., Cameron's inheritance). And that successor and all the other candidates will campaign for the leadership by trashing her as an easy scapegoat (like Burnham, Cooper, and Kendall did for Ed in 2015).
  • I am not sure which is worse mays speech or the google press conference.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,702

Theresa May constantly makes me think of Merleau-Ponty:

She makes me think of Monty Python

She really is further gone than the Norwegian Blue
  • JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

JohnO said:

Oops.

Unlike DD.
    Apparently Cameron loftily told Merkel and Hollande that they shouldn't worry, he would win the EU referendum easily, something like 70/30. Then I suppose he went back to playing Fruit Ninja on his iPad.

Oh dear.

2) He thought the Leave side would be Farage, John Redwood, and the rest of the Tory freak show.

3) When he realised he would be facing the likes of Gove and Boris, he should have gone medieval on their asses, he didn't want to go blue on blue.

Assuming Labour voters would swing behind the EU to the extent their MPs did was another problem. Any other leader than Corbyn and the ref would have been 60-40 remain I'd guess.
  • NEW THREAD

• JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

SeanT said:

JohnO said:

I

Oops.

Unlike DD.

Oh dear.

Assuming Labour voters would swing behind the EU to the extent their MPs did was another problem. Any other leader than Corbyn and the ref would have been 60-40 remain I'd guess.
    Labour voters views on the EU were not decided in the campaign, or since 2015. Plenty will have been voting Lab for parliament and UKIP in euro elections.

Corbyn did remarkably well to carry so many imo. An alternative leadership extolling the EU unequivocally would have got less of a hearing from Labour voters.

• rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Elliot said:

Essexit said:

If Mrs May had gotten to know her party better, she would have realised how badly the dementia tax would go down with Tory voters.

Perhaps May and Osborne both need to get to know their party better.
    He already knew it well enough, it explains why he helped take the Tories from 198 seats to 331 seats, and Mrs May took the party backwards.
    May's seat loss was substantially down to Osborne's austerity.
    What austerity?
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Party before country. The story of the Conservatives.
  • RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    SeanT said:

From a personal point of view, of course any sentient being will feel sympathy for Theresa May, and not just because of today; it must have been absolutely devastating for her to see what a gigantic screw-up she had made at the GE. However, sympathy doesn't usually translate into votes, normally it's the other way round.

Perhaps more apposite is the reflection on to Boris. I have a feeling this won't help him.

Absolutely do feel sympathy - must have been awful. But I think most voters will feel a bit like bosses having to write a reference for someone they like who wasn't quite up to the job, "Always made every effort and gave her utmost to the task."
    Trouble is, TMay isn't even that likeable. Almost zero charm.

If she had Bojo's gift for witty self deprecation, or Corbyn's ability to be folksy, or Blair's talent for grinning smarm, then she'd have *something* - but no. It's hard to find anything obviously positive to say about her.

I used to Iive in Maidenhead. She is a diligent and hard working MP.
This discussion has been closed.