Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » It was a big CON to LAB Remain voter swing that cost the Torie

1235»

Comments

• Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited October 2017
    UK state should pay for housing, food, transport and the internet says a new report.

'The recommendations include doubling Britain’s existing social housing stock with funding to build 1.5m new homes, which would be offered for free to those in most need. A food service would provide one third of meals for 2.2m households deemed to experience food insecurity each year, while free bus passes would be made available to everyone, rather than just the over-60s.

The proposals also include access to basic phone services, the internet, and the cost of the BBC licence fee being paid for by the state.
    John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor, said the recommendations would “help inform Labour’s thinking”.
    “This report offers bold new thinking on how we can overcome those challenges and create an economy that is radically fairer and offers opportunities for all,” he added.....Voters may balk at the higher taxes required, with the report earmarking a massive reduction in the personal tax allowance from the current rate of £11,500 to as little as £4,300 to pay for the changes.'
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/oct/11/uk-universal-basic-services-jonathan-portes?CMP=share_btn_fb
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    FF43 said:

welshowl said:

Yes, but if the alternative is the extinguishing of independent British democracy, the ability to meaningfully fire those who rule us, just about any alternative is better.

I am frankly aghast at the depth to which we have been entangled without ever having voted so to do ( I ignore witterings about ”it was known in 1973 Ted Heath told us” I was not even ten and nobody bothered asking me since. Anyway it’s as plain as a pikestaff we are now dealing with a different animal).

It could have been easy, but the EU are determined to play silly buggers pour desencourager les autres, so hard it might be. So be it. If I wish, as I do, to live in a meaningful responsive democracy till my dying day, it looks like it will take some effort. Fine. The alternative is a bureaucracy with democratic window dressing.

I am about 70% confident that we will end up as a Norway style client of the EU, where we keep part of our benefits, pay for them as now, are bound by the rules, but no longer have the influence we had as participating members. It might be billed as a temporary arrangement, but it won't be. It isn't a good arrangement, but it is the probable one, on the assumption that the absence of a settlement would drive a push to get something sorted. Any such arrangement will be on the EU's terms and if the choice is Norway or full membership and slinking back to full membership would be embarrassing.
    If you think you have any influence over UK HMG you're deluded our democratic process is not fit for purpose leaving the vast majority with no say who governs them
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

If I wish, as I do, to live in a meaningful responsive democracy till my dying day, it looks like it will take some effort. Fine.

How should your responsive democracy respond if it turns out that a majority of people have changed their minds about leaving the EU? It would be undemocratic to deny them, no?
    Mr Glenn how do I fire the Swedish commissioner who is negotiating trade deals that would affect me. I can’t.

How do I stop laws being applied to me by QMV where the govt of the day which signed up to a vast extension reneged on a manifesto referendum promise by weasel words “treaty” rather than “constitution”. I can’t.

Just like any constituent in this country cannot fire anyone other than his/her MP and have to accept what a Minister / Bureaucrat does. Of course, the sum of all the constituents can change a government.
  • Options

The twattishness of tying the UKs hands in the negotiations. If this becomes a requirement, then the EU just bank it - and demand more.

Of course we have to be able to take everything off the table if the EU continue to negotiate in bad faith.
    Well done, Ken! Then with Soubry, Grieves, Allen and a few others there will be a majority.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,815
    surbiton said:

The twattishness of tying the UKs hands in the negotiations. If this becomes a requirement, then the EU just bank it - and demand more.

Of course we have to be able to take everything off the table if the EU continue to negotiate in bad faith.
    Well done, Ken! Then with Soubry, Grieves, Allen and a few others there will be a majority.
    OTOH, there'll be rebels in the other direction.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    I am surprised it is so high - that would imply people would be less inclined to blame the government for no deal than they would a deal they dislike.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Mr. Johnno, it's one of the reasons I don't think the line about waiting 10 years then leaving washes.

Mr. Eagles, in the short-term, you may be right.

But what next? A settlement must be had, one way or another. If it's similar to what we have now, that sceptical movement could enjoy a resurgence.

I fear the shit show Brexit of Richard or Peter North where he was looking forward to a ten year hard Brexit only sees us rejoin the EU and fully integrate, with a £3 trillion exit fee in future, and because we'd sign up to get out of the hard Brexit shit show.
    I can see that happening as well.
    It's not something I'd look forward to, but the botch-job that Brexit is turning into makes it a real possibility. For all the distrust people have for integration with Europe, if the equation seems to be:
    Outside EU = Chaos and loss of living standards; Inside EU = "It wasn't so bad, really, was it?"
    ... well, for all the high talk about things like sovereignty, if it does turn out to fuck things up for people in day-to-day life and provide financial hardship, people do tend to vote with their wallets.

Last year's referendum doesn't invalidate that - the LEAVE side managed to muddy the water enough on the economic side and disruption side of the argument to make them seem to cancel out, and if Brexit had been to a Single Market status, or if a competent and good deal had been struck, they'd have been right.

If it turns into a clusterfuck, opinions change. I could genuinely see us reapplying for readmission in 5-10 years and swallowing worse conditions to get in, and if we ended up in the Eurozone, we ain't ever getting out.
    I wrote this piece last year, partly in jest, but one of my Leave supporting friends is convinced that it is going to come true in the hardest of hard Brexits.

The Brexiteers, Juncker’s fifth columnists?

How the Leavers may have ultimately signed the United Kingdom up for the single currency, the Schengen agreement, an EU Army, and a United States of Europe.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/10/18/the-brexiteers-junckers-fifth-columnists/
    No as in a decade or so the EU will have split between Eurozone nations and non Eurozone nations in an enlarged EFTA with the UK in the latter
    Keep on dreaming. Just like the Euro will explode. In the last 16 years, it is the Euro which has strengthened and Sterling fallen off the cliff.

Remember, at the Euro's birth: £1 = €1.40
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    HYUFD said:

UK state should pay for housing, food, transport and the internet says a new report.

'The recommendations include doubling Britain’s existing social housing stock with funding to build 1.5m new homes, which would be offered for free to those in most need. A food service would provide one third of meals for 2.2m households deemed to experience food insecurity each year, while free bus passes would be made available to everyone, rather than just the over-60s.

The proposals also include access to basic phone services, the internet, and the cost of the BBC licence fee being paid for by the state.
    John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor, said the recommendations would “help inform Labour’s thinking”.
    “This report offers bold new thinking on how we can overcome those challenges and create an economy that is radically fairer and offers opportunities for all,” he added.....Voters may balk at the higher taxes required, with the report earmarking a massive reduction in the personal tax allowance from the current rate of £11,500 to as little as £4,300 to pay for the changes.'
    https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/oct/11/uk-universal-basic-services-jonathan-portes?CMP=share_btn_fb

That would cost a higher rate taxpayer about £3k per annum, or most lower rate taxpayer about £1,500.

It is a great idea in many ways but would only benefit one group of people.

• Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    I'm looking forward to our 10 year recession. It will toughen us all up -especially if we can squeeze in a small war - and put a stop to all that craft beer drinking hipster nonsense.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

Mr. Johnno, it's one of the reasons I don't think the line about waiting 10 years then leaving washes.

Mr. Eagles, in the short-term, you may be right.

But what next? A settlement must be had, one way or another. If it's similar to what we have now, that sceptical movement could enjoy a resurgence.

I fear the shit show Brexit of Richard or Peter North where he was looking forward to a ten year hard Brexit only sees us rejoin the EU and fully integrate, with a £3 trillion exit fee in future, and because we'd sign up to get out of the hard Brexit shit show.
    I can see that happening as well.
    It's not something I'd look forward to, but the botch-job that Brexit is turning into makes it a real possibility. For all the distrust people have for integration with Europe, if the equation seems to be:
    Outside EU = Chaos and loss of living standards; Inside EU = "It wasn't so bad, really, was it?"
    ... well, for all the high talk about things like sovereignty, if it does turn out to fuck things up for people in day-to-day life and provide financial hardship, people do tend to vote with their wallets.

Last year's referendum doesn't invalidate that - the LEAVE side managed to muddy the water enough on the economic side and disruption side of the argument to make them seem to cancel out, and if Brexit had been to a Single Market status, or if a competent and good deal had been struck, they'd have been right.

If it turns into a clusterfuck, opinions change. I could genuinely see us reapplying for readmission in 5-10 years and swallowing worse conditions to get in, and if we ended up in the Eurozone, we ain't ever getting out.
    I wrote this piece last year, partly in jest, but one of my Leave supporting friends is convinced that it is going to come true in the hardest of hard Brexits.

The Brexiteers, Juncker’s fifth columnists?

How the Leavers may have ultimately signed the United Kingdom up for the single currency, the Schengen agreement, an EU Army, and a United States of Europe.

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2016/10/18/the-brexiteers-junckers-fifth-columnists/
    No as in a decade or so the EU UK in the latter
    Keep on dreaming. Just like the Euro will explode. In the last 16 years, it is the Euro which has strengthened and Sterling fallen off the cliff.

Remember, at the Euro's birth: £1 = €1.40
    I never said the Euro would explode, I just said countries not in the Eurozone eg Sweden and Denmark and much of Eastern Europe may leave the EU to join EFTA if the choice becomes stay in the EU and join the Euro or leave
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,915
    JonathanD said:

I'm looking forward to our 10 year recession. It will toughen us all up -especially if we can squeeze in a small war - and put a stop to all that craft beer drinking hipster nonsense.
    https://www.theepochtimes.com/british-military-preparing-for-north-korea-conflict_2329415.html
  • Options
    nielh said:

HYUFD said:

That would cost a higher rate taxpayer about £3k per annum, or most lower rate taxpayer about £1,500.

Though the fact McDonnell has welcomed the report suggests it is not completely impossible a Corbyn government could implement it
  • Options
    edited October 2017

8 miserable months without Universal Credit.

60% of those transitioned to UC in rent arrears

Great for Tories on BBC 6 O Clock news

IDS wanted to be PM! We dodged a bullet there.
  • Options
    Can a "hard brexitteer" tell me what would happen if there is no deal, not in ten years time but over the following six months?
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

If I wish, as I do, to live in a meaningful responsive democracy till my dying day, it looks like it will take some effort. Fine.

How should your responsive democracy respond if it turns out that a majority of people have changed their minds about leaving the EU? It would be undemocratic to deny them, no?
    Mr Glenn how do I fire the Swedish commissioner who is negotiating trade deals that would affect me. I can’t.

How do I stop laws being applied to me by QMV where the govt of the day which signed up to a vast extension reneged on a manifesto referendum promise by weasel words “treaty” rather than “constitution”. I can’t.
    You can elect MEPs with the power to sack her and veto any deals she negotiates, and a national government which defines her negotiating mandates. At least parliament has a mandated role in trade deals, which the UK government wants to deny us post-Brexit.

A pure Westminster system might provide good theatrics, but it doesn't give individual voters any more inherent power over decisions.
    I do not accept I am part of a European demos for starters.

So the Parliament sacks her. I can’t fire those who nominate to replace her.

Moreover in the Tower of Babel that would be a US of E there would be no common media to hold politicians to account, no real live functioning electoral debate (what if the Spitzenkandidaten are from Bulgaria, France, and Finland how the hell do they meaningfully debate? What is “dementia tax” in Latvian and does it convey the same nuance as the Dutch translation?).

What if I don’t want Roman Law applied here and we are outvoted ( “yeah habeaus corpus has so had its day, it’s so well Anglo Saxon, so medieval, time for something more “modern and communautaire”)? QMV for driving on the right? “Sod the casualty rate in four countries it’s all about conformity to the Project”.

I may exaggerate a tad but democracy as we have known it and had handed down to us will die. It’s all coming eventually if we don’t get out. It will be Austria Hungary for our times.

• Options
    Elliot said:

Canadians are a fine people, they were there with us on D-Day.

They are near perfect, they'd be perfect if they crushed their Francophile citizens.

Is TM Canadian too

Or just trying to Klingon
    She’s a Vulcan. Unemotional and cold, in public at least.
    Are you suggesting that Andrea Leadsom was right - Britain needs a mother?
    That’s how bad Mrs May has performed that I do wonder if it might have been for the best if Mrs Leadsom had won.

She wouldn’t have treated our EU citizens so callously.
    I thought Theresa May wanted a deal on citizens rights separate from anything else but the EU said we couldn't talk about it?
    She could have unilaterally done it and claimed the high ground. The EU would have to follow suit. What else could they do ?
  • Options
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

You can elect MEPs with the power to sack her and veto any deals she negotiates, and a national government which defines her negotiating mandates. At least parliament has a mandated role in trade deals, which the UK government wants to deny us post-Brexit.

A pure Westminster system might provide good theatrics, but it doesn't give individual voters any more inherent power over decisions.

Moreover in the Tower of Babel that would be a US of E there would be no common media to hold politicians to account, no real live functioning electoral debate (what if the Spitzenkandidaten are from Bulgaria, France, and Finland how the hell do they meaningfully debate? What is “dementia tax” in Latvian and does it convey the same nuance as the Dutch translation?).

What if I don’t want Roman Law applied here and we are outvoted ( “yeah habeaus corpus has so had its day, it’s so well Anglo Saxon, so medieval, time for something more “modern and communautaire”)? QMV for driving on the right? “Sod the casualty rate in four countries it’s all about conformity to the Project”.

I may exaggerate a tad but democracy as we have known it and had handed down to us will die. It’s all coming eventually if we don’t get out. It will be Austria Hungary for our times.

You should expand you're reading beyond the daily mail
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nielh said:

HYUFD said:

Though the fact McDonnell has welcomed the report suggests it is not completely impossible a Corbyn government could implement it
    No higher taxes for those on under 80k he said...
  • Options
    philiphphiliph Posts: 4,704
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

HYUFD said:

How much can my dog earn?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

The EU will never be a unitary state like the UK is. I think this is at the root of the ill-founded fears. Even in a fully realised EU, national democracy will still play the biggest role, and will be the forum in which things like 'dementia taxes' get kicked around.

The EU has already lasted longer than the Austro-Hungarian empire. Perhaps it's time to accept it for what it is instead of summoning bogeymen from the past to undermine our place in it.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

The froth gets in the goatee beards anyway so probably a health and safety issue as it stands.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

HYUFD said:

After five years of inflation and devaluation under Corbyn and McDonnell, £80k will be barely minimum wage.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,709
    Sean_F said:

With all the predictions here of food riots, tanks in Belfast and Edinburgh, ten year long recessions, popular uprisings against the government, war, famine, plague and death if Brexit goes ahead, I wonder whether the horror can be ratcheted up any further. Where do you go from there?

Expectations management, Mr F?
  • Options
    Grab em by the ....

Ben Affleck apologises for 'groping' MTV host Hilarie Burton
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-41589352

And thus is a man who tried to silence Sam Harris and bill Maher as racists.

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    nichomar said:

Can a "hard brexitteer" tell me what would happen if there is no deal, not in ten years time but over the following six months?

I have been assured that "The short term pain will be worth the long term gain". Whatever that means...
  • Options
    surbiton said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Just like any constituent in this country cannot fire anyone other than his/her MP and have to accept what a Minister / Bureaucrat does. Of course, the sum of all the constituents can change a government.
    Yes but I am not Swedish ( to use them as a blameless example here ). My vote may be one of a potential 45 million here but I do have say even if it’s 0.00000001%. I have 0.0% say over who is nominated as Swedish commissioner.
  • Options

Here we go. Why the British Centre has collapsed. How do you sell ' Austerity ' when a Magic Money Tree exists for this sort of nonsense ? Even if winter flu is worse than expected let alone a genuine NHS crisis happens this can be referenced. It can be referenced against any unmet public spending need anywhere let alone hard Remain areas.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/11/may-says-departments-will-be-told-how-brexit-250m-can-be-spent

Just because the government has to spend money on some things, it doesn't mean that there is infinite money for everything.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

HYUFD said:

This would be the first Corbyn stealth tax, reducing the personal tax allowance
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2017
    Huge story about kaspersky in the wall Street journal. Russians have been using it to spy bigly.

https://m.slashdot.org/story/332275
  • Options
    welshowl said:

surbiton said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Yes but I am not Swedish ( to use them as a blameless example here ). My vote may be one of a potential 45 million here but I do have say even if it’s 0.00000001%. I have 0.0% say over who is nominated as Swedish commissioner.
    Yes you do through you MEPs but we have never taken the elections seriously
  • Options

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

The EU will never be a unitary state like the UK is. I think this is at the root of the ill-founded fears. Even in a fully realised EU, national democracy will still play the biggest role, and will be the forum in which things like 'dementia taxes' get kicked around.

The EU has already lasted longer than the Austro-Hungarian empire. Perhaps it's time to accept it for what it is instead of summoning bogeymen from the past to undermine our place in it.
    A pretty meaningless comparison at the end.

We live to different standards, with different moral and ethics, we view death differently and have experience of the two bloodiest global wars. Communications are different, travel and globalisation have made a tiny impact as has the gigantic increase in living standards and wealth.

It would be sad if mankind hadn't progressed slightly. Comparing snow with an inferno isn't very enlightening.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

HYUFD said:

Noone I know could afford a 3k a year household pay cut - it'd be crippling !
  • Options
    philiph said:

We live to different standards, with different moral and ethics, we view death differently and have experience of the two bloodiest global wars. Communications are different, travel and globalisation have made a tiny impact as has the gigantic increase in living standards and wealth.

It would be sad if mankind hadn't progressed slightly. Comparing snow with an inferno isn't very enlightening.

It wasn't my comparison, but the idea that the EU will become something that it already has a far more substantial history than seems slightly absurd. It would be like saying the jumbo jet will become the Hindenburg for our times.
  • Options
    This is not a nice place tonight the same old arguaments being rehashed and no consideration of there peoples views. There is no movement in views and it go's round in circles. Lets have some local by elections to discuss
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

Pulpstar said:

HYUFD said:

nielh said:

HYUFD said:

Noone I know could afford a 3k a year household pay cut - it'd be crippling !
    Everyone would need universal credit......
  • Options
    nichomar said:

This is not a nice place tonight the same old arguaments being rehashed and no consideration of there peoples views. There is no movement in views and it go's round in circles. Lets have some local by elections to discuss

It will get worse and worse as Brexit progresses. The Remainers will get more and more upset and the Leavers will get more and more annoyed that their version of Brexit (57 Varieties!) is not being delivered.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

philiph said:

It wasn't my comparison, but the idea that the EU will become something that it already has a far more substantial history than seems slightly absurd. It would be like saying the jumbo jet will become the Hindenburg for our times.
    No, we should expect the EU to be more successful. If it isn't progress it is pointless. It is a realistic question to ask if the democracy is strong enough to withstand the increased future pressures on it, or will it go the way of Yugoslavia, CCCP, India, check/Slovak, Ottermann, Roman etc.

When it breaks up I would hope it will be civilised and peaceful.
  • Options

Mr Glenn

With respect: tosh. They won’t stop till it’s a US of E. It’s the fucking Borg.

You are outlining the classic salami tactic “don’t worry x won’t happen, they don’t want y, we just need a bit of z to make things work a bit better” and then you find the process starts again and there’s another x y and z and we are a bit further into the quicksand. It’s been going on for 43 years without us ever once, not once, being asked if we actually agreed. We didn’t.
  • Options

nichomar said:

It will get worse and worse as Brexit progresses. The Remainers will get more and more upset and the Leavers will get more and more annoyed that their version of Brexit (57 Varieties!) is not being delivered.

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Too true
  • Options
    nichomar said:

welshowl said:

surbiton said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

The Swedish govt nominates the Swedish commissioner. Last time I checked I wasn’t on the electoral role in Malmo.
  • Options
    WinstanleyWinstanley Posts: 434
    edited October 2017
    welshowl said:

Mr Glenn

You are outlining the classic salami tactic “don’t worry x won’t happen, they don’t want y, we just need a bit of z to make things work a bit better” and then you find the process starts again and there’s another x y and z and we are a bit further into the quicksand. It’s been going on for 43 years without us ever once, not once, being asked if we actually agreed. We didn’t.

If the EU does become an integrated super-state, the decisions of its leading politicians and institutions will have a strong enough impact on us that we might as well be part of it. We're integrated enough into the world economic system that any notional political independence from the genuine powers will be quite superficial.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited October 2017
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

... if Brexit goes ahead, I wonder whether the horror can be ratcheted up any further. Where do you go from there?

Sunil and I sorted it out upthread. Baryon decay and the death of particulate matter leaving only a lepton/neutrino fog and the photons followed by matter / anti-matter storms and the heat-death of the universe.

Ratcheting up from there could be tricky.... :)
  • Options

welshowl said:

Mr Glenn

If the EU does become an integrated super-state, the decisions of its leading politicians and institutions will have a strong enough impact on us that we might as well be part of it. We're integrated enough into the world economic system that any independence from the genuine powers will be quite superficial.
    So Ireland should give up and rejoin us? Justin Trudeau should hand the keys to his desk over to the Donald? Still at least we could abolish Luxembourg hand it over to Germany ( been tried twice already that) and perhaps Juncker would vanish at the same time? We could but hope.
  • Options
    Watching this clip of Boris last year saying that Brexit wouldn't affect the Irish border, it struck me how much he seems to have aged since then.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-35692452

• Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    nichomar said:

Well only 17 months and 18 days until 29 March 2019 for the same circular arguments - at the very least.

Just wait until things get to the House of Lords.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    welshowl said:

nichomar said:

welshowl said:

surbiton said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

The Swedish govt nominates the Swedish commissioner. Last time I checked I wasn’t on the electoral role in Malmo.
    Fortunately we won't have to trade with Sweden after Brexit
  • Options

Sean_F said:

... if Brexit goes ahead, I wonder whether the horror can be ratcheted up any further. Where do you go from there?

Sunil and I sorted it out upthread. Baryon decay and the death of particulate matter leaving only a lepton/neutrino fog and the photons followed by matter / anti-matter storms and the heat-death of the universe.

Sounds like Newport on a Friday at pub chucking out.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Sean_F said:

I imagine that there are plenty of particulates .....

I will get my hat and coat :D
  • Options
    Freggles said:

welshowl said:

nichomar said:

welshowl said:

surbiton said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Lol! The Volvo salesmen are stuffed then.

Somehow I think Ikea won’t implode whatever.
  • Options

welshowl said:

Sean_F said:

I imagine that there are plenty of particulates .....

I will get my hat and coat :D
    Oh yes!
  • Options
    WinstanleyWinstanley Posts: 434
    edited October 2017
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Mr Glenn

If the EU does become an integrated super-state, the decisions of its leading politicians and institutions will have a strong enough impact on us that we might as well be part of it. We're integrated enough into the world economic system that any independence from the genuine powers will be quite superficial.
    So Ireland should give up and rejoin us? Justin Trudeau should hand the keys to his desk over to the Donald? Still at least we could abolish Luxembourg hand it over to Germany ( been tried twice already that) and perhaps Juncker would vanish at the same time? We could but hope.
    Nothing so radical. I do sympathise with your criticisms of the EU's democratic processes and failure to make us feel part of it. I feel similar about the British state - I don't think we've cracked a way to make the various individuals cohere into a proper demos with a will that can be interpreted etc. I just don't get this romantic vision of Brexit Britain versus EU commissioners, which will be at the mercy of economic forces beyond any democratic machinery to the same extent if not more.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    edited October 2017

Grab em by the ....

It does seem incredible that none -- none -- of the many big stars who hung out with Harvey knew, or suspected, or heard anything.

Until they read it all in the New York Times.

It is hard to say who comes out worse, Harvey. Or Harvey’s “friends” who were happy to backslap him when he was important and are now busy expressing their “shock”.

Or Obama or Hillary, who jumped to accept the big donations, and now the tide is turning have been quick to jump away.

This isn’t going to stop with Harvey. Who’s next ?
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710

FF43 said:

I am about 70% confident that we will end up as a Norway style client of the EU, where we keep part of our benefits, pay for them as now, are bound by the rules, but no longer have the influence we had as participating members.

Has your confidence level for that outcome gone up or down and what do the remaining 30% possibilities look like?
    Much more confident. I originally thought there would be repeated "transition period" can kicks as the two parties tried to thrash out a Canada style preferential trade deal over perhaps a decade. I now don't think either party will wear that uncertainty. Bear in mind the grief just to get the initial two year can kick. So if there doesn't seem to be a pathway to a PTA, that leaves full membership, client status or no deal at all, realistically. While I think it is very possible that we will crash out without an Article 50 withdrawal agreement, it isn't a settled position. It also holds up third party agreements.

Very quickly people will ask, what do we do now? What we can do now is entirely at the discretion of the EU, who don't owe us any favours, who think we have damaged them and can dictate terms. EEA is a ready-made arrangement, so that has to be a strong possibility. I don't think the EU will mind us doing what they tell us and paying for it. Rejoining the EU is a possibility and an accelerated push on a preferential trade agreement that is very favourable to the EU is another possibility.

I think if voters were aware that leaving the EU would result in getting less for more money and having less say while going through massive disruption, they would say, let's stay. But they weren't and we will.
  • Options

Grab em by the ....

It does seem incredible that none -- none -- of the many big stars who hung out with Harvey knew, or suspected, or heard anything.

It is hard to say who comes out worse, Harvey. Or Harvey’s “friends” who were happy to backslap him when he was important and are now busy expressing their “shock”.

Or Obama or Hillary, who jumped to accept the big donations, and now the tide is turning have been quick to jump away.

Honest Trailers
  • Options
    edited October 2017

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Mr Glenn

Nothing so radical. I do sympathise with your criticisms of the EU's democratic processes and failure to make us feel part of it. I feel similar about the British state - I don't think we've cracked a way to make the various individuals cohere into a proper demos with a will that can be interpreted etc. I just don't get this romantic vision of Brexit Britain versus EU commissioners, which will be at the mercy of economic forces beyond any democratic machinery to the same extent if not more.
    It won’t be perfect, nothing ever is. But I think it will be better than the coming alternative which I characterise as democratically window dressed bureaucracy.

I want a Canada/USA or Australia/NZ relationship not an antagonistic one. Sadly the EU are really doing their level best through ineptness to screw that vision up. They seem obesessed by the 1-3 year outcomes not the 5-30 year ones.

It will be a modern Austria Hungary. Lovely buildings, puffy cream cakes, superlative waltzes, lots of feathery Archdukes, preening itself in its little European world, while gently coasting down hill looking a bit motheaten, wrestling with its impossible multi lingual creaking political structures and contradictions.

It won’t be all roses for us, but to switch centuries I’d rather be Francis Drake going into the wide yet shrinking world than Phillip II of Spain defending a clod hopping clumsy autocratic empire.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

It will be a modern Austria Hungary. Lovely buildings, puffy cream cakes, superlative waltzes, lots of feathery Archdukes, preening itself in its little European world, while gently coasting down hill looking a bit motheaten, wrestling with its impossible multi lingual creaking political structures and contradictions.

It won’t be all roses for us, but to switch centuries I’d rather be Francis Drake going into the wide yet shrinking world than Phillip II of Spain defending a clod hopping clumsy autocratic empire.

London in the EU is anything but an inward looking pastiche of the kind you describe but is exactly the kind of global city people seem to think is the great prize of Brexit.

Perhaps instead of leaving the EU, we should instead be focusing on the boring questions about regional development, infrastructure and so on, so that we have a strategy to ensure the rest of the country isn't left behind?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,223
    welshowl said:

Freggles said:

welshowl said:

nichomar said:

welshowl said:

surbiton said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

There's nothing wrong with Ikea that a few sticks of dynamite wouldn't fix.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,598

Grab em by the ....

Honest Trailers
    Ifor Williams?
  • Options
    nichomar said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

I can’t read. I’m a Brexiteer.
  • Options

Perhaps instead of leaving the EU, we should instead be focusing on the boring questions about regional development, infrastructure and so on, so that we have a strategy to ensure the rest of the country isn't left behind?

Maybe we should be focusing on the lower-level questions that nobody seems to bother with? There is a lot of yammer about "taking back control" and "sovereignty" and "self-determination", etc, etc, etc,

But nobody can tell me if Brexit will keep food on my table, or if it will make any difference to my household bills. Will my family be safer? The sort of low-level questions that occupy the minds of most parents.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,330
    Serious question (which I need for my day job): what's our best guess for the timing of the EU(Withdrawal) Bill, assuming no significan derailments? Start Commons Committee on Oct 23, carry on till Nov 3 (are we still assuming 2 weeks?), to Lords on Nov 6, then on to say Nov 24, then a bit of ping-pong, finished just in time for the Christmas recess?
  • Options
    Hollywood names to watch out for over the next year:

Ben Affleck.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

welshowl said:

London in the EU is anything but an inward looking pastiche of the kind you describe but is exactly the kind of global city people seem to think is the great prize of Brexit.

I can agree with you! Yay! But only on the very last bit from “we should instead be”. Still it’s a start.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,528

Grab em by the ....

Someone unexpected ?
    http://www.vulture.com/2017/10/after-harvey-weinstein-terry-crews-shares-his-own-story.html
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    welshowl said:

Freggles said:

welshowl said:

nichomar said:

welshowl said:

surbiton said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

It won't implode but due to shoddy workmanship and people not following the instructions it will collapse in an embarrassing heap of chips.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Hollywood names to watch out for over the next year:

Ben Affleck.

Does it run in the family? Let's not forget Casey affleck "problems" over these kind of issues.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    It should be trivial to think of deals worse than no deal, but if you want the proof that the 74% have the right answers, here it is. There are a countably infinite number of deals (including 'no deal') possible, each with a value to the UK. One over infinity tends to lim 0, and so the chance that 'no deal' is the least valuable of those deals also tends to 0.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    welshowl said:

nichomar said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

welshowl said:

I can’t read. I’m a Brexiteer.
    Tragic stuff.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Grab em by the ....

Knew/suspected/heard are three very different things, and in the nature of things molesters tend to molest in witness-free contexts. Look at the huffing and puffing in recent days over what Grocer Heath got up to, and consider this: if Savile had done only 20% of the things he did and had been 5 times as cautious as he was about being found out, he would still be a grotesque and horrible monster and we might not know it. We might dismiss any allegations made against him as spiteful tittle tattle against a great entertainer, tireless charity fund raiser, close friend of the idiot Charles. And Savile is dead, Weinstein is alive and (until 48 hours ago) powerful.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584
    SeanT said:

WAKE UP, POLITICALBETTING, I WANT AN ARGUMENT

No you don't.

• Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    surbiton said:

Elliot said:

They are near perfect, they'd be perfect if they crushed their Francophile citizens.

Is TM Canadian too

That’s how bad Mrs May has performed that I do wonder if it might have been for the best if Mrs Leadsom had won.

I thought Theresa May wanted a deal on citizens rights separate from anything else but the EU said we couldn't talk about it?
    She could have unilaterally done it and claimed the high ground. The EU would have to follow suit. What else could they do ?
    Bank the concession and demand more
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    SeanT said:

2 doors down...
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Ok. I think the best thing to accompany oysters is Guinness.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

You've got a wife ffs, why come to us for an argument?
  • Options
    Charles said:

surbiton said:

Elliot said:

Is TM Canadian too

Bank the concession and demand more
    Exactly.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2017
    SeanT said:

I recently picked up a book by some little known author s k tremayne at the airport. I would say it was third rate at best....
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Sean_F said:

A Corbyn government?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Radiohead are the most overrated band in music and an extremely poor live act...discuss
  • Options
    welshowl said:

SeanT said:

The only things better than pineapple pizza are AV and radiohead, and switching doors makes no difference
  • Options

SeanT said:

I recently picked up a book by some little known author s k tremayne at the airport. I would say it was third rate at best....
    When you say 'picked up', I assume it had been discarded by another underwhelmed reader?
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

welshowl said:

SeanT said:

The only things better than pineapple pizza are AV and radiohead, and switching doors makes no difference
    Christ: straight to nuclear!
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Radiohead are the most overrated band in music and an extremely poor live act...discuss

No argument here...
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,262
    edited October 2017
    SeanT said:

Have you stopped beating your wife? :lol:
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,721
    edited October 2017
    SeanT said:

DC is better than Marvel.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    welshowl said:

welshowl said:

Mr Glenn

Ireland's two largest trading partners are the UK and USA and even after 40 years of EU membership far more young Irish people would rather emigrate to Australia than anywhere in the EU, Ireland has done well out of the EU in the past - it's future as a net contributing English speaking nation may be less rosy.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

new thread

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    They're going to get so bad tempered that they will generate an ash cloud.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,721

Sean_F said:

Tricky? Piece of piss if you ask me...

On the scenario you outline, the universe still exists, it's just very empty and cold. That is a class X4 apocalypse

What you want is a class X5 apocalypse in which every universe (and variations thereof) in the multiverse is destroyed, or class X6 apocalypse in which every universe (and variations thereof) in the multiverse, including fictional universes, potential universes, and any concieved and unconceived creator of the multiverse, does not exist, could not exist, and never did exist

See http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ApocalypseHow
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    AndyJS said:

Free speech in America: this article has been removed from a journal because of threats of violence against the editor.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/01436597.2017.1369037
    https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=9943

The article can be read here

fooddeserts.org/images/paper0114.pdf
This discussion has been closed.