Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » To add to the febrile political mix – next week’s boundary cha

Comments

• Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    SeanT said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

Turns out David Davis is not the consummate deal-maker he thought he was. What a surprise!

Turns out that Eurocrats care more for their pet undemocratic project than the people of Europe. What a surprise!
    In fairness that wasn't a surprise. Its why we left. Which makes moaning about it now seem a tad childish.
    Absolutely. Davis has not exactly been highly rated on PB boards. His Cameron era sulk was ridiculous.
    The man's an over promoted idiot. It's....suboptimal.
    David Davis is the only prominent Leave campaigner who has "owned" Brexit and tried to make a success of it. Not one other of them has stepped up to the plate. I respect him for that, even if I suspect his willingness to take it on was due to an unwarranted belief in his powers of negotiation. He seems pretty disillusioned however.
    I agree. Tho I'm not sure if "disillusioned" is quite the right word, I think he's more tired and disappointed that he's negotiating with an entity, the EU, which is not acting in good faith, and is incapable of compromise and concession even when some actors within it (like Barnier) see that this must happen.

It's the problem of the 27+1. There are 27 countries which all want whatever they can get out of Brexit (including many different things), and a Commission which, in part, seeks to punish the UK simply for Brexiting. How do you negotiate with that?

Possibly so. How many kinds of cheese does Europe have? If the EU Council and Commission didn't herd the cats for us, we would be negotiating in 28 dimensions. On the whole it seems a good arrangement.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    SeanT said:
    Given that many of Trump's most vocal supporters want to exploit resources in protected places then this is not really a shock.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,079
    edited October 2017
    TOPPING said:

calum said:
    Phew, thank goodness that's been cleared up!

fanatic

Synonyms for fanatic

noun person overenthusiastic about an interest

activist
    addict
    bigot
    devotee
    enthusiast
    extremist

To be fair your source is now rather out of date. In the modern climate of the last few years extremist has been used more and more as a synonym for potential terrorist. Wrongly perhaps but I can see why the correction was felt necessary.
    http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/fanatic?s=t

I agree there are some fairly loose synonyms there (nut, fiend, visionary); I'm sure we can all choose the definitions we'd prefer to be applied to ourselves and to our opponents!
    So would you rather be called a fanatic or an extremist? There are very different meanings and implications for the two words.

A film fanatic or a film extremist?
    A football fanatic or a football extremist?

More apposite perhaps:

A political fanatic (which I would suggest includes quite a few of us here) or a political extremist?

One can be a fanatic and still be part of the mainstream. By the very nature of the word in its basic meaning the same does not apply to an extremist.
    It's all about context; I don't think most people would see much difference between an ISIS fanatic and an ISIS extremist & would consider both not part of the mainstream. I would differentiate between a political fanatic and someone fanatical about politics (I don't think I'm either but others may disagree).
    9,938 = fanatical

The first step is to acknowledge that you have a problem...
    Hey, a goodly portion of these posts wouldn't have been about politics (an even greater portion if pointing & laughing at idiots can also be discounted).
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

Turns out David Davis is not the consummate deal-maker he thought he was. What a surprise!

Turns out that Eurocrats care more for their pet undemocratic project than the people of Europe. What a surprise!
    In fairness that wasn't a surprise. Its why we left. Which makes moaning about it now seem a tad childish.
    Absolutely. Davis has not exactly been highly rated on PB boards. His Cameron era sulk was ridiculous.
    David Davis is the only prominent Leave campaigner who has "owned" Brexit and tried to make a success of it. Not one other of them has stepped up to the plate. I respect him for that, even if I suspect his willingness to take it on was due to an unwarranted belief in his powers of negotiation. He seems pretty disillusioned however.
    Michael Gove stepped up to the plate and ran for the leadership to be PM.
    Andrea Leadsome stepped up to the plate and ran for the leadership to be PM.
    Boris Johnson stepped up to the plate and became Foreign Secretary.
    Liam Fox stepped up to the plate and became International Trade Secretary. What he's done since I'm not so sure about.

Who precisely was a prominent Leave campaigner who didn't step up to the plate?
    All the above except Fox who is simply deluded. I am talking about putting the effort in to make Brexit a success. Only Davis is doing that, albeit without much to show for it so far. Which is possibly why the others are not investing.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Apparently the Lib Dems are having a reshuffle
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

Elliot said:

If we had a small recession after Brexit before bouncing back quickly to growth and surpassing the pre-recession peak, would PB's Remainers still class that as trashing the economy?

Elliot. Its what happens next that's the concern. We have to be able to trade on day 1 after we leave, yet when real and practical issues are raised its always thrown back as "we're Britain" or "in 5 years...". Forget 5 years down the line and look 5 days down the line.

Without being a member of the EEA the EU will impose a hard border. What we do on our side is irrelevant - they will stop and check all trucks crossing their border. The delay not only adds massive cost it physically stops trade. Our trucks can't cross the channel to then recross loaded with car parts or food or that fitness tracker I've ordered from Amazon that they're sending me (with free shipping!) from Italy.

What are the realities here? Our port operators say it will take years to install the infrastructure needed for full customs checks. HMRC say it needs 5 years for a computer system to handle "no deal" customs checks. Our big logistics operators are increasingly concerned. I work in the food industry which is now trying to work out what the hell to do with the worst case scenario we're now facing. And thats just one industry - most others are built on easy free unimpeded access to and from European suppliers and factories. The EU will impose a hard border if we leave the single market on day 1.

So in an economy with inflation once again outstripping wages, with 1/3 of households having £0 in the bank, with personal debt north of £200bn and an immediate sharp economic shock brewing with no deal brexit, you will have to excuse me if I - a leave voter BTW - take your dismissive comments about the economy under advisement.
    I'm not predicting that would be the result. I am just asking whether Remainers whether they would view such an eventuality as catastrophic or not.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280
    Scott_P said:
    Mistake. I really don't see us getting anyone better. And the risk is that we have another terrible start to the next campaign whilst someone learns the squad.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896
    Scott_P said:

Swapping seats in the minibus, or swapping the minibus for a couple of taxis?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Who cares?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    Mistake. I really don't see us getting anyone better. And the risk is that we have another terrible start to the next campaign whilst someone learns the squad.
    David Moyes.
  • Options
    @SamCoatesTimes: Ex Chancellor Lord Lawson and Nadine Dorries now calling for Philip Hammond to go.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115

RobD said:

Why are there any negotiations if the EU is not going to make any concessions, nor is it expecting the UK to make any concessions.

I agree. Whatever is going on it is not negotiating. One side is saying "tell me what you're going to give me and then I'll tell you what you'll get for it". The other side is saying "let's talk about both sides of that deal" when it should be saying "fuck off".
    +1

As a professional negotiator of 25 years (and someone who had to play poker against the Shells and BPs and State Oil Companies of this world, mostly whilst holding an 8 high) and whose negotiating skills helped take a company from start-up to the edge of the FTSE100 in six years - I just despair at the awfulness of the Brexit process. From both sides.
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    600 is a start but we could do with far less, the Lords has far too many. Then we could start on the various pointless councils and quangos.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Scott_P said:
    To be fair, there's not much of a squad to learn. They don't exactly need the full set of Topps cards....
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516
    I wonder whether people like Nick Clegg were encouraging their EU colleagues to be hard-line behind the scenes.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scott_P said:

If ever anything was over-engineered...! I don't know how many seats it has, but their number plate tells us that 67 are empty! Arf....

https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/libdems/pages/8566/meta_images/original/key_battle-bus.jpg?1427691351
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

Actually, it does seem to have come as a surprise to most Leavers that the EU won't immediately smilingly agree to all of Britain's wishlist. The idea that they had their own priorities seems to have been a sensational revelation to nearly all of them, up to and including those now responsible for negotiating Britain's exit.
    Only a surprise to gullible idiot Leavers.
    As I said, nearly all of them.

Time to tone down the condescension.
  • Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    Pretty unlikely to get through I would have thought.
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,942
    edited October 2017
    AndyJS said:

Trump pulls the United States out of Unesco for "anti-Israel" bias.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-41598991

Fucking moron.

Edit: Trump of course not you Andy :)
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,653
    edited October 2017
    Not sure he’s talking about the placebo effect......

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/10038528258

Just as long as they don’t have “chemicals”
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Water is indeed natural. What an idiot!
  • Options
    I haven't come across 'convential' medicines before. Are these dispensed by nuns?
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    RobD said:

Water is indeed natural. What an idiot!
    The one good thing about homeopathy is that it makes it dead easy to figure out if someone is a fool.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

AndyJS said:

Fucking moron.

So now that the master of distraction has got the cable news channels wound up for the next 24 hours, what’s today’s real news story?
  • Options

I haven't come across 'convential' medicines before. Are these dispensed by nuns?

Your coat, sir! :D
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Sandpit said:

So now that the master of distraction has got the cable news channels wound up for the next 24 hours, what’s today’s real news story?

Well seeing as we've had "calm before the storm", some pointed tweets about North Korea, and rumours of big military meetings, it might be a distraction from the preparation for a bloody huge war.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

Fucking moron.

Trump’s IQ test results are in?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

If we had a small recession after Brexit before bouncing back quickly to growth and surpassing the pre-recession peak, would PB's Remainers still class that as trashing the economy?

Elliot. Its what happens next that's the concern. We have to be able to trade on day 1 after we leave, yet when real and practical issues are raised its always thrown back as "we're Britain" or "in 5 years...". Forget 5 years down the line and look 5 days down the line.

Without being a member of the EEA the EU will impose a hard border. What we do on our side is irrelevant - they will stop and check all trucks crossing their border. The delay not only adds massive cost it physically stops trade. Our trucks can't cross the channel to then recross loaded with car parts or food or that fitness tracker I've ordered from Amazon that they're sending me (with free shipping!) from Italy.

What are the realities here? Our port operators say it will take years to install the infrastructure needed for full customs checks. HMRC say it needs 5 years for a computer system to handle "no deal" customs checks. Our big logistics operators are increasingly concerned. I work in the food industry which is now trying to work out what the hell to do with the worst case scenario we're now facing. And thats just one industry - most others are built on easy free unimpeded access to and from European suppliers and factories. The EU will impose a hard border if we leave the single market on day 1.

So in an economy with inflation once again outstripping wages, with 1/3 of households having £0 in the bank, with personal debt north of £200bn and an immediate sharp economic shock brewing with no deal brexit, you will have to excuse me if I - a leave voter BTW - take your dismissive comments about the economy under advisement.
    I'm not predicting that would be the result. I am just asking whether Remainers whether they would view such an eventuality as catastrophic or not.
    The EU is playing hardball because they want us to accept EEA/EFTA status (still paying money, staying in Single Market, probably accepting some kind of modified FoM), as the only alternative to Apocalypse.

The question is how hard the EU will push this, because there is a serious danger they will go too far and the Brits will think *fuck it*, rather than *OK this'll do for now*.
    Presumably the French won't be ready for a hard border either on day 1 of a no deal scenario
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The EU is playing hardball because they want us to accept EEA/EFTA status (still paying money, staying in Single Market, probably accepting some kind of modified FoM), as the only alternative to Apocalypse.

The question is how hard the EU will push this, because there is a serious danger they will go too far and the Brits will think *fuck it*, rather than *OK this'll do for now*.

Very true. A lot of people I speak to have swallowed the idea that if we don't get what we like we tell the EU to go and bollocks and that we carry on as normal. When you start explaining the real and practical issues that make the "fuck it" option rather problematic, they simply can't comprehend that such a massive problem is realistic.

A hard brexit will be a cathartic experience for a great many people. Which is why I am calling it an extinction level event for the politicians and parties who would be seen as responsible for it. Its all very well convincing people that well sir, there's nothing on Earth like a genuine, bona-fide, electrified, six-car monorail, but when they not only don't get a monorail but suffer the personal effects of an economy that suffers a crippling shock that takes away their standard of living, they'll be looking for someone to blame.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

Fucking moron.

The alarming story that some of Trump's own cabinet seem to think he is unravelling and could start a nuclear war?

Looking more and more likely that the 25th Amendment could end all this. If Pence calls for it to be invoked he could find the votes he needs to become POTUS himself.
  • Options

SeanT said:

Elliot said:

Elliot said:

Presumably the French won't be ready for a hard border either on day 1 of a no deal scenario
    A good point. I suspect they are similarly lacking in infrastructure.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    Mr. Thompson, even in the current political climate, that would be a remarkable turn of events.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058
    RobD said:

Meaning that we could spend billions on our side, and still find Kent gridlocked because the French will process everything at a snail's pace.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

The chance of these proposals - or any other boundary changes - going through a hung parliament is nil. The next election will be fought in the existing constituencies.

To be clear you mean the 2022 election will be fought on 2001 boundaries.

• Options

RobD said:

Meaning that we could spend billions on our side, and still find Kent gridlocked because the French will process everything at a snail's pace.
    Before the Single Market the French ALWAYS used to do everything at snails pace. And will again. Because en coulez vous. This was is and will be where WTO Brexit falls apart. The EU requires a hard border. The French will be delighted to apply this requirement.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    AndyJS said:

Obama and Clinton ended the US funding contribution to UNESCO in 2011 for the same reason. They will still be an associate member - still not paying in.
  • Options

He should learn how to spell "complements" though.

Otherwise he might find himself complimenting President Trump by accident
  • Options

You know that Ernesto Bertarelli's not inconsiderable fortune was based on his grandfather driving a horse and cart around the convents of Northern Italy to collect urine?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ernesto_Bertarelli

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

SeanT said:

Very true. A lot of people I speak to have swallowed the idea that if we don't get what we like we tell the EU to go and bollocks and that we carry on as normal
    = the source of the 74% "no deal" supporters, is my guess.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    FF43 said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

I agree. Tho I'm not sure if "disillusioned" is quite the right word, I think he's more tired and disappointed that he's negotiating with an entity, the EU, which is not acting in good faith, and is incapable of compromise and concession even when some actors within it (like Barnier) see that this must happen.

It's the problem of the 27+1. There are 27 countries which all want whatever they can get out of Brexit (including many different things), and a Commission which, in part, seeks to punish the UK simply for Brexiting. How do you negotiate with that?

Possibly so. How many kinds of cheese does Europe have? If the EU Council and Commission didn't herd the cats for us, we would be negotiating in 28 dimensions. On the whole it seems a good arrangement.
    It is very striking that the EU27 governments, European parliament and council of ministers have held solidarity very well. Our government cannot even manage unity within the 22 members of the cabinet. That is where the indecision lies.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414

I haven't done chemistry since O level but surely water isn't organic?
  • Options

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

It is very striking that the EU27 governments, European parliament and council of ministers have held solidarity very well. Our government cannot even manage unity within the 22 members of the cabinet. That is where the indecision lies.
    Wasn’t the Danish finance minister talking about moving on just a few days ago?
  • Options

I'm not sure that holding solidly to a bonkers position is something to be proud of.
  • Options

SeanT said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

Actually, it does seem to have come as a surprise to most Leavers that the EU won't immediately smilingly agree to all of Britain's wishlist. The idea that they had their own priorities seems to have been a sensational revelation to nearly all of them, up to and including those now responsible for negotiating Britain's exit.
    Only a surprise to gullible idiot Leavers.
    As I said, nearly all of them.

Which in reality means some of them, or at least a couple, or that bloke you met down the pub who had had one too many.

It must be a strange place, the Meekoverse.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

SeanT said:

Very true. A lot of people I speak to have swallowed the idea that if we don't get what we like we tell the EU to go and bollocks and that we carry on as normal
    = the source of the 74% "no deal" supporters, is my guess.
    As 48% voted Remain, and little sign of real polling shift, clearly the 74% majority for No Deal just shows that they did not understand the options. Not very promising for a further referendum!
  • Options
    SeanT said:

And, as I say, if it happens it will probably happen because the EU overplays an already strong hand.

No

It will be because Brexit is a shit idea, promoted by zealots, and implemented by idiots.

You voted for this shit show, not the EU.

https://twitter.com/seanjonesqc/status/918482141117341696
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965
    Charles said:

The chance of these proposals - or any other boundary changes - going through a hung parliament is nil. The next election will be fought in the existing constituencies.

To be clear you mean the 2022 election will be fought on 2001 boundaries.

Pass legislation to redraw boundaries on the basis of the status quo ante, using the electoral data from the recent GE. Would probably go through on the nod.
    Or risk a massive to do, with the risk of it failing.
    Simples.
  • Options
    RobD said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

Are you sure that it wasn't one of our ministers?
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Yes, and for that reason I do not think it will happen: because it would seriously fuck up some EU economies as well, including Ireland, Holland, Denmark. And 3.5 million EU citizens in the UK, and their relatives at home. And all the many EU businesses that export to the UK, and use London for so many reasons, and so on and so forth.

There will probably be a fudge, and a transition deal, and we will get a kind of EEA status with some fig leaves to say it's real Brexit not EEA. It will be tolerable but unideal.

That said, the risk of a Catastrophic Brexit is not insignificant. 10%? 20%? And, as I say, if it happens it will probably happen because the EU overplays an already strong hand.

Ironically the EU fudging the rules is the thing that so many hard Brexit supporters feel so aggrieved about. Will be funny if thats the thing that saves us.

I'm not so convinced that we will be saved in this way. The powers that be have to look at the integrity of the whole in the long term, not just a short term bit of pain. A slowdown in exports to the EU will hit some like Holland, but on the flip side BMW will throw a bucket of money at Nedcar to make more MINI vehicles displaced out of Cowley.

Genuine question though - are our nutters likely to accept any kind of fudged figleaf deal? We absolutely won't get EEA access without £ and an element of free movement, which would surely be politically impossible for the current government to accept.

• Options
    edited October 2017

RobD said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

Not unless they are in a job share.
  • Options

Ironically the EU fudging the rules is the thing that so many hard Brexit supporters feel so aggrieved about. Will be funny if thats the thing that saves us.

THE EU will fudge a deal to save us is just the latest iteration of "BMW will force Angela Merkel to give us a great deal"

How's that one working out?
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Great piece from Stephen Bush. For all the guff the Tories do about "the will of the people", the type of Brexit they're pursuing is not even the type of Brexit that the average Leave voter wants:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/10/brexit-failing-because-its-being-negotiated-interests-conservative-party
  • Options
    Irish authorities are bracing to lose out in the race to host the European Banking Authority and the European Medicines Agency following the U.K.’s departure from the European Union, a person familiar with the matter said.

Dublin is viewed as having little chance of winning either organization, which are being forced from London after Brexit, in part due to Ireland’s lack of natural geographical allies, the person said, who asked not to be named as deliberations are private. Frankfurt is viewed as one of the leading candidates for the EBA, while Amsterdam and Copenhagen are among the leading contenders for the EMA, the person said.

Failure to win either agency would also hurt the government’s effort to offset the impact of Brexit. With about 15 percent of its exports going to the U.K., Ireland is the EU nation most exposed to Brexit.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-09/ireland-said-to-brace-for-loss-in-fight-for-post-brexit-spoils
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Great piece from Stephen Bush. For all the guff the Tories do about "the will of the people", the type of Brexit they're pursuing is not even the type of Brexit that the average Leave voter wants:

https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/staggers/2017/10/brexit-failing-because-its-being-negotiated-interests-conservative-party

Yawn - one more article to add to the very long list of commentators saying that we can have whatever we want without bothering to enquire whether the EU is willing to agree to it.
  • Options

RobD said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/08/denmark-dismisses-eu-wrangling-brexit-divorce-bill-game
  • Options
    freetochoosefreetochoose Posts: 1,107
    I'm curious a) how many people on here have a job and b) how many of those are involved in trade ie buying and selling things.

It seems that not many have the foggiest idea how it actually works.

The bigger picture extends to the idiots that represent us, clueless. In sport the senior people have mostly been in and around the game for decades, most politicians have no idea how business works.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

What guff!

As far as what the average voter wants out of Brexit, the ask from the EU27 is simple: control over immigration and an end to the free movement of people, without economic dislocation.

That’s exactly what HMG is trying to achieve.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

The EU always havers, and can-kicks, and bickers, and then emerges with last minute consignments of fudge signed off at 4am, which are then acclaimed as a triumph. It's what they do.

They will string this out for as long as they can (because they rightly think this puts more pressure on us, economically and politically) but in the end fudging is in the eurocratic DNA, and I suspect that's what will happen.

You still think someone else will rescue you from your vote
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Yawn - one more article to add to the very long list of commentators saying that we can have whatever we want without bothering to enquire whether the EU is willing to agree to it.
    I never understand what you mean when you make comments like this. No-one is saying we can control what the EU agrees to, but we can certainly control what we ourselves bid for.

The point is that the Tories are bidding for a "Dan Hannan Brexit" (emphasis on free trade deals and "sovereignty", apparently with no intention of reducing immigration numbers), when the average Leave voter couldn't give a stuff about doing trade deals with the rest of the world and has probably never even heard of the European Court of Justice, but primarily just wants less immigration.
  • Options

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

Michael Gove stepped up to the plate and ran for the leadership to be PM.
    Andrea Leadsome stepped up to the plate and ran for the leadership to be PM.
    Boris Johnson stepped up to the plate and became Foreign Secretary.
    Liam Fox stepped up to the plate and became International Trade Secretary. What he's done since I'm not so sure about.

Who precisely was a prominent Leave campaigner who didn't step up to the plate?
    Niggle Ferange IIRC
  • Options
    RobD said:

Danny565 said:

What guff!

As far as what the average voter wants out of Brexit, the ask from the EU27 is simple: control over immigration and an end to the free movement of people, without economic dislocation.

Eh? I don't think even Brexiteers deny that completely breaking from the Single Market and Customs Union is going to cause economic dislocation/disruption - whether the disruption will be worth it is where they differ.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

RobD said:

Danny565 said:

What guff!

Eh? I don't think even Brexiteers deny that completely breaking from the Single Market and Customs Union is going to cause economic dislocation/disruption - whether the disruption will be worth it is where they differ.
    Well they are trying to minimise that disruption by pushing for a comprehensive FTA.
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    Scott_P said:

THE EU will fudge a deal to save us is just the latest iteration of "BMW will force Angela Merkel to give us a great deal"

Strangely enough, I think Merkel is the one holding up the progress. The political landscape in Germany is possibly such that she wants to make sure Germans are not on the hook for the expansion eastwards in the 2000's - hence the statement that 'What was agreed by 28 should be paid by 28'. They weren't talking about the budget to 2021 (which we would certainly agree)- they were quite possibly talking about the nett contributions made by the EU to less developed members, and the potential bail out losses coming down the track.

I don't think the government can agree to anything beyond 2021 that isn't directly tied to a program in which we will actively participate - Erasmus, Open Skies, Horizon, ESA - that others from outside the 27 also participate in (EFTA/Israel/Non EU Eastern Europeans/Turkey etc). That would be politically untenable.

Merkel and others must know this, so their end game could be one of three choices - No Deal (unlikely), A late compromise (much more likely), or possibly creating a pressure situation which brings a change of UK govt, with or without a delay to the 2019 deadline (unlikely but the 'remain' angle).
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    Scott_P - are you much affected by leaving the EU?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298

SeanT said:

Yes, and for that reason I do not think it will happen: because it would seriously fuck up some EU economies as well, including Ireland, Holland, Denmark. And 3.5 million EU citizens in the UK, and their relatives at home. And all the many EU businesses that export to the UK, and use London for so many reasons, and so on and so forth.

There will probably be a fudge, and a transition deal, and we will get a kind of EEA status with some fig leaves to say it's real Brexit not EEA. It will be tolerable but unideal.

That said, the risk of a Catastrophic Brexit is not insignificant. 10%? 20%? And, as I say, if it happens it will probably happen because the EU overplays an already strong hand.

Nope, because Jacob Rees-Mogg will petition, he will sleep outside on the pavement if necessary, and he will bring all necessary pressure, together with the power of his mighty intellect to bear on the European Court of Justice to ensure that they uphold the rules and in their judgement they rule against the EU and for our demands.

• Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    PAW said:

Probably not much - but he's paid to do this so why not do it with gusto ?
  • Options
    PAW said:

On an economic level, that depends entirely where we end up.

On a personal level, Farage's Little Englanders taking over the country is something I will always regret.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

Tredinnick; Prince Charles; now Corbyn...
    The ship of state is truly a ship of fools.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

I'm curious a) how many people on here have a job and b) how many of those are involved in trade ie buying and selling things.

The bigger picture extends to the idiots that represent us, clueless. In sport the senior people have mostly been in and around the game for decades, most politicians have no idea how business works.

Your analogy assumes politics is just about business - it isn't.
  • Options
    TonyE said:

Scott_P said:

Merkel and others must know this, so their end game could be one of three choices - No Deal (unlikely), A late compromise (much more likely), or possibly creating a pressure situation which brings a change of UK govt, with or without a delay to the 2019 deadline (unlikely but the 'remain' angle).
    A “late” deal would be of limited use to the U.K. as government and business would already have planned on “no deal” and a “change of government” would poison relations indefinitely.....its not just Britain running out of time.....
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    SeanT said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

I agree. Tho I'm not sommission which, in part, seeks to punish the UK simply for Brexiting. How do you negotiate with that?

Well that's where you're wrong. Britain has made generous and sensible offers. The indecision and confusion is now across the Channel.

"One source said Barnier had personally appeared open to agreement, but that he was being boxed in by what was described as a lack of flexibility by the EU27, who appeared unable to decide whether such a compromise was acceptable."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/12/eu-refuses-to-engage-on-rights-of-britons-living-in-europe-after-brexit
    Our ministers are at each others throats, while the EU27 agree a collective position.

One of the difficulties the EU27 have is that our team are all over the place.

Car crash Brexit nailed on, as I have been saying for a year.

That tempting job in NZ gets more appealing, I want to be well clear as the airborne turd hits the fan!
  • Options
    I wish people didn't post strings of letters that no doubt mean something to most posters on here but a baffling to me :disappointed:
  • Options

Your analogy assumes politics is just about business - it isn't.
    As electing a business with no political experience as POTUS demonstrates!
  • Options

I wish people didn't post strings of letters that no doubt mean something to most posters on here but a baffling to me :disappointed:
    Question To Which The Answer Is No
  • Options

TonyE said:

Scott_P said:

A “late” deal would be of limited use to the U.K. as government and business would already have planned on “no deal” and a “change of government” would poison relations indefinitely.....its not just Britain running out of time.....
    If it's just one or two nations who are holding out on moving on, it might be that these are the nations most well suited to bearing any 'No Deal' costs I suppose. Their brinkmanship might well eventually scare the others.

IT's all speculation though as they are being more disciplined in public, and the European press isn't actually very probative.
  • Options

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

I agree. Tho I'm not sommission which, in part, seeks to punish the UK simply for Brexiting. How do you negotiate with that?

Well that's where you're wrong. Britain has made generous and sensible offers. The indecision and confusion is now across the Channel.

"One source said Barnier had personally appeared open to agreement, but that he was being boxed in by what was described as a lack of flexibility by the EU27, who appeared unable to decide whether such a compromise was acceptable."

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/12/eu-refuses-to-engage-on-rights-of-britons-living-in-europe-after-brexit
    Our ministers are at each others throats, while the EU27 agree a collective position.

That tempting job in NZ gets more appealing, I want to be well clear as the airborne turd hits the fan!
    Has the UK position actually changed significantly?
  • Options

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

SeanT said:

FF43 said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

DavidL said:

Mortimer said:

It is very indecision lies.
    WellChannel.

Everyday I am thankful that our business is mostly online! The one challenge will be the travel, but I guess it will not affect our colleagues in Hong Kong and the US. Another reason to invest more in those places and less in the UK.

• Options
    SeanT said:

Scott_P said:

The EU always havers, and can-kicks, and bickers, and then emerges with last minute consignments of fudge signed off at 4am, which are then acclaimed as a triumph. It's what they do.

They will string this out for as long as they can (because they rightly think this puts more pressure on us, economically and politically) but in the end fudging is in the eurocratic DNA, and I suspect that's what will happen.

This is what logic suggests. But these are not logical times.

• Options
    RobD said:

Question To Which The Answer Is No
    Yeah thanks, I googled it. Strangely Carlotta posted it about a statement not a question. Hey-ho!
  • Options
    PaganPagan Posts: 259
    speaking as someone who never had doubts about voting leave

According to remainers I am going to get exactly what I wanted to happen, ultra hard brexit followed by a far left Corbyn government. Sadly as remainers are almost always wrong I can't celebrate yet
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Scott_P said:
    If there are significant members of the cabinet, attempting to weaken the UK's position (not preparing for No Deal might be one part of that), It may be the risk that has to be taken.

Whether you're a remainer or a leaver, it helps nobody to have a cabinet that is working to undermine the purpose of the government's policy.

(Edit : I mean that partly in the sense that a poor fall out of the existing arrangements could happen by accident, just because the priorities of cabinet are split, and the EU might not be as unified at it appears either).
  • Options

I've spent the last 15 years working for major food manufacturers who also import ingredients and export products to greater and lesser extents. I've spent those 15 years working with major retailers and wholesalers up to CEO level.

And what the food industry collectively is saying is that a hard exit from the single market threatens both their ability to source ingredients / finished goods (we import 35% of food including food "made" in the UK), threatens the ability to supply supermarkets, threatens their source of labour, of transport, the already thin margins they make, and the financial ability of consumers to buy products where prices are already rising faster than wages.

I've been told several times on here by the happy-clappy end of the leaver community (I voted leave too remember) that all these fears are remoaner lies, usually followed by where we could be in 5 years. Its where we'll be in 5 days after a hard brexit that is focusing the minds of my industry, and with respect we know how things work.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    TonyE said:

Scott_P said:
    If there are significant members of the cabinet, attempting to weaken the UK's position (not preparing for No Deal might be one part of that), It may be the risk that has to be taken.

Whether you're a remainer or a leaver, it helps nobody to have a cabinet that is working to undermine the purpose of the government's policy.
    The clearest possible sign that Brexit is going badly is the ever-increasing level of paranoia that Leave supporters are demonstrating.
  • Options

TonyE said:

Scott_P said:

The clearest possible sign that Brexit is going badly is the ever-increasing level of paranoia that Leave supporters are demonstrating.
    You can call it paranoia - but its a realistic prospect, that a split cabinet becomes a distraction that creates an accidental no deal.
  • Options
    PAWPAW Posts: 1,074
    "Alex Salmond plans to buy the Scotsman"

"The party's culture and media spokesman Pete Wishart last night confirmed the Nationalists would look to create a new Scottish public service broadcaster." - "There would also be serious concerns over the Scottish Government exerting political influence over the new broadcaster".
  • Options
    TonyE said:

TonyE said:

Scott_P said:

You can call it paranoia - but its a realistic prospect, that a split cabinet becomes a distraction that creates an accidental no deal.
    I call it paranoia when you and others suggest that significant members of the cabinet are attempting to weaken the UK's position. Throw a check on yourself and realise just how insulting and ridiculous it is to claim that only those fully signed up to Brexit have Britain's best interests in mind.
  • Options
    TonyE said:

Blah, blah, NOT OUR FAULT WE VOTED FOR IT blah, blah

Repeat ad nauseum until it all falls apart...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2017

The man proves again he it a total moron....

Drone strikes on terrorists, no can't agree to that. Totally debunked non-scientific medicine, yeah I'm on board...
  • Options

Apologies- but if you googled it you’ll have seen that it’s one of John Rentoul’s favourite tweets.....
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

They could reshuffle themselves naked in an Uber and nobody would notice.
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Scott_P said:
    Howe's was described like being savaged by a dead sheep.

Hammond more murine than ovine ...
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    Scott_P said:
    I doubt the government could survive a Hammond resignation (or a Boris one for that matter).
  • Options
    The problem with the new parliamentary boundaries is not so much te reduction of 50 seats but having to have constituency electorates within plus or minus 5% of the average instead of plus or minus 10%. Without flexibility this causes constituencies to be have unnatural boundaries in many cases.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I doubt the government could survive a Hammond resignation (or a Boris one for that matter).
    Yes - imagine another budget without a calamitous back track a few days later like the shambles in the Spring - how would they cope ?
  • Options
    Well this looks potentially interesting:

https://twitter.com/wabbey/status/918494974894895106
This discussion has been closed.