Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Blaming the hard-line CON Brexit fundamentalists who are takin

1235»

Comments

• viewcode said:

PAW said:

Beverley_C - I have an idea that moving to the Irish Republic (I think you intend to) will not be the best way of avoiding brexit blues.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/thousands-attend-dublin-abortion-rights-protest-1.3239832
    PAW - Glad to see that the "Bev is going to Ireland" meme is still going round and round PB after repeated denials on my part.

Keep up the good work Sunil

(BTW Abortion is not Brexit - my cure for the Brexit blues is entirely different)
    Why do you fly the flag of a country that restricts women's access to abortion?
    Because she's a dual national Sunil. If you don't want people with Irish passports to contribute to the site then say so, but we'd lose Beverley_C, Cyclefree, Alanbrooke and no doubt others. And I'm not convinced the site would be better for the lack thereof.
    But Bev's the only one with a tricolour as her avatar...
  • Cyclefree said:

I would argue that Britain has a strong moral obligation to Poland. Rather more than it has to Pakistan or Bangladesh or other former colonies. They are independent states and have been for decades. I don’t buy this idea that somehow we owe them special favours just because once we were all citizens of Queen Victoria. Not do I buy the idea that they owe us wonderful FTAs because we were the Mother Country once, a fantasy Liam Fox and others seem prone to.

And not only does Britain have a moral obligation to Eastern European countries but it is also in its interests to have these countries within the comity of free liberal democracies of Europe. Look at what happened - and the price we had to pay - when they weren’t.

It has nothing to do with Queen Victoria nor our being the Mother Country. It does have something to do with two and a half million of them - all volunteers - fighting for us in WW2.

Now I don't for second agree with all the rubbish about modern day Germany being an enemy because of what happened more than 70 years ago. But I do think we should pay our dues and we owe a great amount to the Indian sub-continent for their support in times of trouble.

We went to war for Poland. That went a very long way to fulfilling any moral obligation you might feel we have. Poles also fought alongside us. But so did many more Indians and Pakistanis.
    Well said.

• viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,230

viewcode said:

PAW said:

Beverley_C - I have an idea that moving to the Irish Republic (I think you intend to) will not be the best way of avoiding brexit blues.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/thousands-attend-dublin-abortion-rights-protest-1.3239832
    PAW - Glad to see that the "Bev is going to Ireland" meme is still going round and round PB after repeated denials on my part.

Keep up the good work Sunil

(BTW Abortion is not Brexit - my cure for the Brexit blues is entirely different)
    Why do you fly the flag of a country that restricts women's access to abortion?
    Because she's a dual national Sunil. If you don't want people with Irish passports to contribute to the site then say so, but we'd lose Beverley_C, Cyclefree, Alanbrooke and no doubt others. And I'm not convinced the site would be better for the lack thereof.
    But Bev's the only one with a tricolour as her avatar...
    So you're OK with Irish people posting here provided they don't make this known to you?
  • SteveRW said:

Mexicanpete: Maybe all the horror scenarios you speak about are just scenarios you've dreamed up in your head. I think your children will be fine in the future. This is Great Britain, not Ethiopia. Perhaps if the future involved people aspiring to be magnificent rather than relying on other countries and the state to keep them in clothes, then the world be a much better place. You make your own success in life, anfd frankly using your children as a form of blackmail as if leave voters have done them wrong, is non-sensical claptrap. They'll be fed, they'll be clothed, go to school, college, get a job and survive. Just as people in this country have done so for hundreds of years. Perhaps people should stop being so melodramatic.

You may well be right that everything will be hunky dory. Progress, so far between Mr Davis and M. Barnier suggests that may well be wishful thinking.
    And, like other remainers, I suppose you are laying the blame all at the feet of the UK? The poor, victimised EU is all gracious and giving right? You seem way more concerned about the EU than you do Britain. This is the normal type of response from someone who refuses to accept the result and try to ensure this country succeeds. Instead so many are willing failure so they can say "Told you so!" Absolutely baffling.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Anna said:

surbiton said:

Anna:

If you want to end up in a WTO tribunal and then lose, of course, you can. The basic WTO rule is that you cannot discriminate between countries unless you have a Trade agreement. Therefore, the Irish Republic and, say, Belgium or any other EU country has to be treated in the same way - FTA or no FTA.

I would be treating every country the same way though - if you bring your goods in by land follow set of rules X, if by air or by sea follow set of rules Y.
    Doesn't work as a fudge. The EU acts as a single entity in the WTO so does not just share a land border with the UK.

If the EU did that then they would need to treat goods from the UK the same as goods from Turkey, Russia etc.
    I'd be surprised if they were that specific. So long as the tariffs are the same I doubt the WTO says customs must be exactly the same (they will need to be equivalent).

For example you might have a big facility at Dover while on a back road in Ireland you could have remote monitoring, pre-filing and spot checks
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    tyson said:

tyson said:

Funnily enough I had the misfortune to sit next to a full on Brexit (really quite famous after I wikied him) Peer historian at my local....in Oxford this very evening.

The only argument he was able to give about Brexit was Parliamentary sovereignty.

I tried to explain to him as amicably as possible that Brexit has already cost me where I live, thousands upon thousands of squidlies, caused my wife and her family undue anxiety and the rest....

and for what. For fucking Parliamentary sovereignty over the spectre of EU regulation..he couldn't even give me one example where Parliamentary sovereignty would make one iota of a smidgen of a bit of interest in my life. Not one. Not one repeat. Not one. Do I need to repeat that again.

So my conclusion...you Brexiteers who quote Parliamentary sovereignty are a bunch of nihilistic, destructive, ideological numpties.

The rest of the Brexit voters who don't give a shit about Parliament are just simply racist and narrow minded, or illiterate. Take your pick where you stand.

I care about Parliamentary sovereignty.

If you don't would you be happy to abolish Parliament altogether and appoint Theresa May for life as dictatorial Lord Protector?
    I knew that was coming at me.....I think the EU and Parliament live quite well together...This Brexit person couldn't name one policy area that could improve my life if we left the EU. Not one.

But my life and that of the people I care for has taken a taken a remarkable downturn for the worse as a direct consequence of Brexit. I can hear the claps from the Brexit ideological fuckwits on this site...but at the end of the day you lot too are only going to get poorer, and the lives of the people that you care for will get worse. Brexit is sending an icy wind across Oxford and the prosperous, income generating parts of the country. It's going to catch you up.

You could continue to live in Italy if you want. But you've decided to move to the UK to minimise your tax bill.

That's legal, of course, and your choice. But doesn't earn my sympathy.
  • stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    The weakest and most eyebrow raising part of Bush's argument is that the EU would agree to no freedom of movement in return for access to the single market -he acknowledges, unlike so many remainers that most voters do not want freedom of movement. Once that part of his argument collapses, all else collapses too.
This discussion has been closed.