Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on when will a Conservative lead with YouGov occur

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited August 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on when will a Conservative lead with YouGov occur

The trend is clear, Labour’s share of the vote has been falling slightly month by month since February, and their lead has fallen month by month (bar May, when the Conservative share of the vote fell even further, due to the afterglow of the UKIP performance in the local elections)

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    First
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    The numbers from the election in May were: Con 25%, Lab 29%, LD 14%, UKIP 23%
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Swingback + PM approval in action.

Will Syria change anything?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Surely 2013 looks like a good bet.

Even if the "true" lead remains at the current average of 5.68% then wouldn't we expect one poll in 100 polls to give a Con lead? It only requires Lab 3% below average and Con 3% above average (to nearest whole numbers).

And that is before allowing for any possibility that the average lead will narrow at any point.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

I doubt it unless anything very dramatic happens.

Lots of very partisan posts on PB tonight - because lots of PBers are very passionate about the subject. But I would be amazed if 1 in 1,000 people change their vote based on who drafted what resolution / who changed their mind and when etc for the debate in the House of Commons.

All that 99% of people will remember in a couple of weeks time is what actually happened and was the UK involved.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    RodCrosby said:

Swingback + PM approval in action.

I'd have thought it might firm up certainty to vote of a chunk of Labour vote (if Cerise sticks to his guns) but not actually change many votes as the issue crosses party lines to a large extent.
  • Options
    Hague's performance tonight, for those who missed it...
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23874519
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    MikeL said:

Surely 2013 looks like a good bet.

Even if the "true" lead remains at the current average of 5.68% then wouldn't we expect one poll in 100 polls to give a Con lead? It only requires Lab 3% below average and Con 3% above average (to nearest whole numbers).

And that is before allowing for any possibility that the average lead will narrow at any point.

If YouGov are doing their job properly and all there is is sampling error, then the 95% confidence is 5.68% +/- ~3% and the 99% 5.68% +/- ~4.5% - that would mean a 1 in 200 shot that the lead came out as 1% or better for the Tories. Practice shows more variety than these numbers would suggest, meaning either there is either another sort of bias or people change their minds on a daily basis a little.
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

If YouGov are doing their job properly and all there is is sampling error, then the 95% confidence is 5.68% +/- ~3% and the 99% 5.68% +/- ~4.5% - that would mean a 1 in 200 shot that the lead came out as 1% or better for the Tories. Practice shows more variety than these numbers would suggest, meaning either there is either another sort of bias or people change their minds on a daily basis a little.

I thought the 95% confidence range applied to the individual scores, not the lead.

ie 95% confidence Lab is 38.5% +/- 3% and 95% confidence Con is 33% +/- 3%.

Bearing in mind if Lab gets reported as 3% below average then there is a good chance that Con will be above average (as total must be 100) then it's only somewhat less than 1 in 20. Far, far more chance than 1 in 200.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    This is all a bit 45mins of WMD

Ben Smith @BuzzFeedBen
    Wow RT @EvanMcSan: Obama suggests Syrian chemical weapons "could be directed at us" if use goes unchecked buzzfeed.com/evanmcsan/obam…
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    Kevin Rudd concludes Assad's regime is responsible for the chemical weapons attack:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-29/election-live-august-29/4920440
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    MikeL said:

Grandiose said:

I thought the 95% confidence range applied to the individual scores, not the lead.

ie 95% confidence Lab is 38.5% +/- 3% and 95% confidence Con is 33% +/- 3%.

Bearing in mind if Lab gets reported as 3% below average then there is a good chance that Con will be above average (as total must be 100) then it's only somewhat less than 1 in 20. Far, far more chance than 1 in 200.

The nn% confidence interval can apply to pretty much anything, if you calculate it correctly.

Assuming a sample of circa 1000, the MOE of the lead is around 5% in this case (long-term correlation between Con and Lab shares is around -0.85)

Taking this poll in isolation (a pretty dumb thing to do) the chance the Tories are in the lead is around 12%, and the chance they lead by >1% is around 6%.

Anyhow, that's me for tonight.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    RodCrosby said:

How did you rate it? Just seemed like normal Hague to me.

• Options
    Andy_JS said:

RodCrosby said:

How did you rate it? Just seemed like normal Hague to me.

Yes, back to the normal dreary Hague.
  • Options
    More UKIP fodder http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10271855/Number-of-foreign-nationals-on-benefits-soars-to-400000.html

"New figures showed there were 407,000 non-UK nationals receiving the hand-outs last year, a rise of more than 118,000 since 2008, with the total bill running to hundreds of millions of pounds a year. Data from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), released under the Freedom of Information Act, showed a sharp rise in the number of claims by immigrants from eastern European countries.

Just 12,600 were claiming work benefits in 2008 but this increased nearly fourfold to just under 50,000 last year, when people from Poland and seven other eastern European countries which joined the EU in 2004 gained full access to the benefits system.

Disclosure of the government figures comes amid growing concern that Britain will face a new wave of eastern European immigration with the relaxation of border controls on Romanian and Bulgarian workers on January 1.
  • Options
    redcliffe62redcliffe62 Posts: 342
    edited August 2013
    Andy_JS said:

Kevin Rudd concludes Assad's regime is responsible for the chemical weapons attack:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-08-29/election-live-august-29/4920440

Plato said:

More UKIP fodder http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10271855/Number-of-foreign-nationals-on-benefits-soars-to-400000.html

"New figures showed there were 407,000 non-UK nationals receiving the hand-outs last year, a rise of more than 118,000 since 2008, with the total bill running to hundreds of millions of pounds a year. Data from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), released under the Freedom of Information Act, showed a sharp rise in the number of claims by immigrants from eastern European countries.

Just 12,600 were claiming work benefits in 2008 but this increased nearly fourfold to just under 50,000 last year, when people from Poland and seven other eastern European countries which joined the EU in 2004 gained full access to the benefits system.

Disclosure of the government figures comes amid growing concern that Britain will face a new wave of eastern European immigration with the relaxation of border controls on Romanian and Bulgarian workers on January 1.

Can retirees claim the Spanish pension when they move there, assuming they do not have a right to claim a UK one?
    And also, if one moves to Eire can one claim an Irish pension?

• Options
    OT This is so sad - if you have £2 a week spare - The Times really is worth it despite the public spat I've had with their IT Dept. When I get Hugo Rifkind weighing in and saying sort this out - I think the message has finally got through.

" Private Harry Lincoln had an important message for his “Dearest Clara” as he faced the prospect of his own imminent death. It was six days after Britain had declared war on Germany and the young father was preparing to head towards the battlefields the following morning.

His heartbreaking note has been discovered almost a century later along with thousands of other final letters to loved ones that were prevented from being delivered by military censors.Historians have been stunned by the discovery of the previously unknown letters in files containing the wills of 230,000 servicemen killed in the First World War. They were found as archivists opened the files for the first time since the war so that they could be digitally scanned. They can be seen online from today. > http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article3854727.ece
  • Options
    redcliffe62redcliffe62 Posts: 342
    edited August 2013
    Sportsbet paying out on Lib win in election today although 9 days to go. 1.03 and 11 dollars, some as high as 15 dollars. Labor negativity in Oz is at mach speed from the man who said he wanted a clean campaign. Obama's old propaganda boys and McTernan need to get media attention without looking at last 6 years which were awful, backstabbing and 2 PM's kicked out as polls were poor. Some in Labor thinking Gillard would have done better at least with female voters.
    Having screwed up on budgets and costs if it was not for the ABC pitching hard for Labor and avoiding asking for a 2007 or 2010 comparison then things might be even worse.
    2 navy ships being brought forward, attempting to save Victorian seats which are leaving in droves, all sounds a bit Gordon Brown-like?
  • Options
    I wiped away a tear

"While the talk at home was of the war being over by Christmas, Private Lincoln confided in his lover: “[It] is going to be worse than I thought ... some say it will last three years.”

Turning to his own fate, he wrote: “If I never come home again I leave the boy in your charge and I know you will do the best by him ... if I get killed in active service there will be a medal for me somewhere and I hope you will try and get it and keep it for the boy to wear when he grows up.”

Clara never saw the now yellowing pages. As the couple appear to have been unmarried, perhaps Clara never knew how much she meant to her lover in his final days, or that he wanted their son to have his medal. Private Lincoln was killed aged 26 on Hill 60, southeast of Ypres, on May 5, 1915, during a gas and artillery attack. There is no known grave.
  • Options
    Decided to stay up.

On the subject of CW, it's a bad idea all round, since accidents can and will happen...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bari#The_1943_chemical_warfare_disaster
    'Through a tragic coincidence intended by neither of the opposing sides in World War II, Bari gained the unwelcome distinction of being the only European city to experience chemical warfare in the course of that war...'

http://www.wrmea.org/wrmea-archives/198-washington-report-archives-1994-1999/december-1998/2999-crash-of-cargo-plane-in-holland-revealed-existence-of-israeli-chemical-and-biological-weapons-plant.html
    'For years following the crash, however, residents of the surrounding neighborhoods displayed a uniquely high number of unusual ailments. But when they took to the media their inquiries as to whether the plane’s cargo could have contained health hazards, both the residents and the media were brushed off. Even though Dutch authorities knew what was on that plane, they preferred to lie to their own citizens rather than confront Israel. Finally, on Oct. 1 of this year, the Dutch daily newspaper NRC Handelsblad reported it had obtained documents confirming that when the El Al flight crashed six years ago it had on board 190 liters of dimethyl methyl phosphonate (DMMP), a chemical used to produce Sarin.'
  • Options
    Financier said:
    Gap is down to 3pts again. #SaveEd
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Only YouGov:table that changes is

Best PM:
    DC: 35(+2)
    EM: 18(-1)
    NC: 6(-1)
    DK: 40 (-1)

THE 2010 voters is interesting for best PM;

Cons: 74/3/1/23 (DC/EM/NC/DK)
    LAB: 11/45/2/42
    LD: 23/14/20/43

The 2010 LD VI is
    Con: 14
    LAB: 26
    LD:43
    UKIP:10
    Green: 3
    SNP/PC; 3
    BNP:1
    Others: 2

This contrasts with the Best PM above

• Options
    Ho ho ho

" W****r of mass destruction http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/article3853940.ece

Lynton Crosby may be a cunning and mysterious political strategist, but his business partner Mark Textor is less of an enigma, it seems, and has branded Tony Blair a “w****r” over his article in The Times endorsing military intervention in Syria.

Textor, an Australian pollster and campaign strategist whose company Crosby-Textor has been hired by the Conservative Party, suggested that Blair had no right to lecture after his role in Iraq and tweeted: “Morality lessons from Blair. The ‘fake dossier’ pack leader for WMD b/s. What a w****r.” He also compared war interdictions with one-night stands, explaining: “Everyone likes the f***ing, but coalitions are never around after the accidental birth.”

Which is the sort of delicately-phrased political commentary that you might expect from a man who calls people “muppets” on Twitter and refers to Kevin Rudd, the Australian Prime Minister, as “angry little Kev”.
  • Options
    I do not know whether any other PBer has any experience of being exposed to a poisonous gas but I have. When I was a young graduate I was working on a new chemical plant that was part of a larger manufacturing site. When the contractor had finished assembling the plant we did a water pressure test and found it was full of welding leaks - looked like Trafalgar Square fountains as this plant was 50 feet high.

So the contractor repaired the leaks and signed a document to say it was leak-proof for gas, which was chlorine. So the plant was started up instead of another water pressure test being done. A process operator was near the top of the plant to take some measurements from the gauges and he suffered a gas leak and slumped over - so the plant operation was stopped. I being the nearest quickly climbed the plant to bring him down and also inhaled some of the gas which was coming though a leak as it was still under pressure. We both survived but to this day if I enter an indoor swimming pool I start coughing after a short while, after all those years since that incident.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    We had a bucket chemistry teacher who gave us all a chlorine dose in the lab. She regailed us with tales of phosgene when she'd been an industrial chemist.

All very amusing in a grim way. We just coughed ourselves inside out for a few hours. No parents complained. How things have changed since just the 80s.
    Financier said:

I do not know whether any other PBer has any experience of being exposed to a poisonous gas but I have. When I was a young graduate I was working on a new chemical plant that was part of a larger manufacturing site. When the contractor had finished assembling the plant we did a water pressure test and found it was full of welding leaks - looked like Trafalgar Square fountains as this plant was 50 feet high.

So the contractor repaired the leaks and signed a document to say it was leak-proof for gas, which was chlorine. So the plant was started up instead of another water pressure test being done. A process operator was near the top of the plant to take some measurements from the gauges and he suffered a gas leak and slumped over - so the plant operation was stopped. I being the nearest quickly climbed the plant to bring him down and also inhaled some of the gas which was coming though a leak as it was still under pressure. We both survived but to this day if I enter an indoor swimming pool I start coughing after a short while, after all those years since that incident.

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    39% want either a Conservative government, or Con/Lib Dem coalition. 40% want either a Labour government or Lab/Lib Dem coalition.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,916
    Financier said:

That was brave of you. In the plant I knew, that would have been a dismissal offence - in any incident you had to wait for the site fire brigade.

I had a wind-dispersed (and fortunately diluted) chlorine-based chemical go into my eyes once. We were dismantling an 18-inch diameter pipe above a road in a factory that was supposed to have been flushed. Sadly it had not, and when we cut off the fourth or fifth bolt a gap opened. I was standing almost underneath, and the remnants of the chemical was dispersed by the wind. I was wearing safety glasses (not goggles) and the droplets got behind them.

Within a couple of minutes I could hardly see.

Cur four people being taken to the medical centre to have our eyes washed out and some tests done. Even the JCB driver had to have treatment. The worst case was one of the guys on the scaffolding who operated the oxy-propane torch; he had to be treated on the scaffolding and then helped down.

Motto: never believe the form stating that pipelines have been washed out ...
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    The Hague performance linked to downthread from last night shows the dilemma that the tories face today.

They, and Cameron in particular, have been made to look a little ridiculous. With his back against the wall and the risk of being mocked by Ed Miliband there must be a tremendous temptation to come out swinging, accusing Labour of being irresponsible, playing politics with the national interest etc.

But that would be, err, playing politics with the national interest. Hague is pointing the way forward of trying to get a national consensus that allows action.

But the anger will be bubbling below the surface. I have no doubt that Cameron will feel well shafted by Labour's changing of position yesterday. Will that anger bubble out or will he control himself? Tough one to call.
  • Options

Financier said:

I do not know whether any other PBer has any experience of being exposed to a poisonous gas but I have.

That was brave of you. In the plant I knew, that would have been a dismissal offence - in any incident you had to wait for the site fire brigade.

I had a wind-dispersed (and fortunately diluted) chlorine-based chemical go into my eyes once. We were dismantling an 18-inch diameter pipe above a road in a factory that was supposed to have been flushed. Sadly it had not, and when we cut off the fourth or fifth bolt a gap opened. I was standing almost underneath, and the remnants of the chemical was dispersed by the wind. I was wearing safety glasses (not goggles) and the droplets got behind them.

Within a couple of minutes I could hardly see.

Cur four people being taken to the medical centre to have our eyes washed out and some tests done. Even the JCB driver had to have treatment. The worst case was one of the guys on the scaffolding who operated the oxy-propane torch; he had to be treated on the scaffolding and then helped down.

Motto: never believe the form stating that pipelines have been washed out ...
    @JosiasJessop

It was one of those incidents where if I had stopped to think what to do, or sought extra help or even mentally done a risk assessment then it may have been too late. So thinking about it now, I must have reacted instinctively, knowing that prolonged exposure could be fatal and also that colleague, for whom I was responsible, had a wife and family that I had met.

Of course that instinctive reaction could have been wrong for me as well, but that was the days before formal risk assessments and I know that I would do the same again if put under similar circumstances.
  • Options
    IcarusIcarus Posts: 896
    My father was technical manager Chlorine at ICI - and in younger days (the 1950's) was regularly inhaling Chlorine as plant manger at Wilton and Billingham. Lived until he was 92, so clearly didn't do him lasting harm.
  • Options
    Two other interesting YouGov Polls/Articles

Trackers of Consumer Confidence and Job Security - both on the up.

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/08/28/positive-economic-signs-continue-job-security-lags/

Also the lingering effect of the horsemeat scandal.

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/08/28/horsemeat-one-ten-still-dont-eat-affected-produce/
  • Options
    I remember my father's stories of chemical weapon training. They were put in a closed room and the gas was released and they basically had to keep a grip of themselves for long enough to get their gas masks on. It was not pleasant and they did it a few times.

I had a case a couple of years ago when an ex soldier was claiming permanent damage from this. The medical evidence wasn't great and he clearly had other problems.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    Leave it to UKIP to tell the truth:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/immigration/10271855/Number-of-foreign-nationals-on-benefits-soars-to-400000.html

UKIP also leads on calling for no military action by British forces in regards to Syria.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,811
    RodCrosby said:

He gets ever more ridiculous, a pygmy on the world stage
  • Options
    Icarus said:

My father was technical manager Chlorine at ICI - and in younger days (the 1950's) was regularly inhaling Chlorine as plant manger at Wilton and Billingham. Lived until he was 92, so clearly didn't do him lasting harm.

Yes, as Plato has illustrated, a small amount diluted by plenty of air or as at Wilton being swept away by often a strong breeze will not leave lasting effects. Indeed chlorine does kill bacteria (that is why many housewives use bleach in toilets). You can smell a very, very small concentration of chlorine in air. However if you are in a confined space or in direct line of a leak where the concentration will be higher, then the effects can be more lasting.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Icarus said:

Ah but had Icky Snr not become chlorine infested he might have lived passed five score and a bit like some on PB ?!?

And of course being the father of a fully fledged yellow perilist must be of actuarial significance !!

• Options
    Even tories think that Cammo - bestriding the world only two days ago - is a diminished figure this morning.

Far from a tory/labour crossover this year or next, I see Cammo not recovering from his Syrian fiasco in a hurry, whatever may happen in the future.

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/thetorydiary/2013/08/cameron-hasnt-solved-his-party-problems-this-summer-as-his-syrian-humiliation-proves.html
  • Options
    - "Overnight the latest yougov poll was published, it shows the Labour lead at 3%."

So, midterm, the Westminster government has a poll deficit of 3 points behind Labour.

Meanwhile, midterm, the Scottish government has a poll surplus of 18 points ahead of Labour (latest Panelbase/Sunday Times).

Why the difference in midterm fortunes for the two governments?

I propose that the reason can be summarised in one word: competence.
  • Options
    tim said:

DavidL said:

The Hague performance linked to downthread from last night shows the dilemma that the tories face today.

They, and Cameron in particular, have been made to look a little ridiculous. With his back against the wall and the risk of being mocked by Ed Miliband there must be a tremendous temptation to come out swinging, accusing Labour of being irresponsible, playing politics with the national interest etc.

But that would be, err, playing politics with the national interest. Hague is pointing the way forward of trying to get a national consensus that allows action.

But the anger will be bubbling below the surface. I have no doubt that Cameron will feel well shafted by Labour's changing of position yesterday. Will that anger bubble out or will he control himself? Tough one to call.

And towards his own backbenchers who he thought were on board?
    That is another complication in the mix. It is not the first time that Cameron has taken his party for granted and it has come around and bit him. If he had taken the trouble to look at papers such as the Telegraph he might have realised how much work he had to do. I suspect they were overly focussed on the international aspects trying to build a consensus there.

The shadow of Blair's lies will darken the path of any PM for a very long time to come. It is starting to look as if Chilcot will only confirm this posthumously. Hey ho.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    How many of the payroll vote were reluctant to back Cameron? He is beginning to look like a fat man with a limp.
  • Options
    Yesterday evening, whilst driving home, R4 was broadcasting the 2003 speech by Tony Blair to the HoC advocating the invasion of Iraq. Its style and content reminded me of Olivier's portrayal of Henry V in his St. Crispin's day speech, encouraging the troops before the battle of Agincourt where they knew they would face any enemy that was better armed and outnumbered them.

Listening carefully to that speech by Blair, it was absolutely obvious that he had no thought about the end game to Iraq2 and if he had it was of no import in his priority.

This morning on Today R4, there was an interview with a civilian living in Damascus, whose main fear is the Al-Qaeda faction who are fighting with the rebels and who would impose an Islamic regime. He said the Al-Qaeda faction are killing both Christian and Alawites. This man, not an Alawite, preferred the Assad regime where all could live in reasonable harmony.

So as usual it take the hand of a firm dictator to keep the peace between dissident factions and that is the problem of the legacy of Iraq2.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    tim said:

DavidL said:

But tim you are a fervent supporter of intervention in Syria.

Are you happier that Cameron has had a reality check than you are upset that no one is addressing Assad's supposed barbarity?

In the longer term, the narrative will be that, unlike TB, DC submitted himself (the kicking and screaming will be forgotten) to due process.
  • Options
    MikeK said:

Even tories think that Cammo - bestriding the world only two days ago - is a diminished figure this morning.

Far from a tory/labour crossover this year or next, I see Cammo not recovering from his Syrian fiasco in a hurry, whatever may happen in the future.

http://conservativehome.blogs.com/thetorydiary/2013/08/cameron-hasnt-solved-his-party-problems-this-summer-as-his-syrian-humiliation-proves.html

Unless the outcome is a triumph or disaster, foreign policy doesn't make much difference one way or the other.

• Options

- "Overnight the latest yougov poll was published, it shows the Labour lead at 3%."

So, midterm, the Westminster government has a poll deficit of 3 points behind Labour.

Meanwhile, midterm, the Scottish government has a poll surplus of 18 points ahead of Labour (latest Panelbase/Sunday Times).

Most governments would settle for being 3% behind, at this stage.

• Options
    tim said:

Lets blame Blair for Camerons ineptitude and swap anecdotes about chemicals.
    For wee are the PB Tories.

Will you be making your way to the Start the War demo scheduled today 12.45pm, Parliament Sq?
  • Options
    After America:
    Mark Steyn writes on diversity and political correctness in the higher echelons of the US military.
    http://www.steynonline.com/5763/still-nothing-to-see-here

Could be that if the US did attack Assads Syria, some US soldiers would defect and join one or other sides of the civil war.
  • Options

Stuart:
    Yet today's YougGov (as have many preceding it) shows the Scottish subsample (usual caveats) at Labour:41, SNP 22. Are you saying that the Scots have two different opinions, one for Westminster and one for the Scottish government?

• Options
    TOPPING said:

tim said:

DavidL said:

Are you happier that Cameron has had a reality check than you are upset that no one is addressing Assad's supposed barbarity?

In the longer term, the narrative will be that, unlike TB, DC submitted himself (the kicking and screaming will be forgotten) to due process.
    Cameron likes to have other people's fingerprints on decisions he makes.
  • Options
    There is a YouGov poll that shows that ~60% Americans believe that Syria is not their responsibility and that the USA should not get involved.

http://yougov.co.uk/news/2013/08/28/americans-syria-not-our-responsibility/
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,826
    twitter.com/Labourpaul/status/372955063473672192/photo/1

Was this Dan Hodges?
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Good morning, everyone.

It's no bad thing if Cameron heeds the concerns of MPs to change his approach. I wonder how long the poisonous legacy of Iraq will linger.
  • Options
    tim said:

Lets blame Blair for Camerons ineptitude and swap anecdotes about chemicals.
    For wee are the PB Tories.

So what is your solution to the problem?

We all saw Carl's wishes yesterday, and how they will probably not be met for a long time, if ever.

And in the meantime, people continue dying.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

tim said:

DavidL said:

Cameron likes to have other people's fingerprints on decisions he makes.
    FWIW, I think that to stomp in there because "something must be done" was a mistake. The fact that there has been a brouhaha and he caved is no bad thing and I think this latter will be what is remembered.
  • Options
    jayfdeejayfdee Posts: 618
    A long career in the chemical industry has seen me exposed accidentally to many poisonous gases. The worst was definitely Chlorine,just one small breath nearly knocked me over. Various highly lachrymatory chemicals were also very unpleasant,and ammonia gas in high concentration is almost immediately disabling.
    I would not wish to be on the receiving end of any poison gas deliberately released at me.
  • Options
    Daily Telegraph - City Briefing: 8.00am Thursday

There's a bumper set of results at WPP, the advertising group headed by Sir Martin Sorrell. Revenues are up 7.1pc to £5.3bn, like-for-like revenues are 2.4pc up, and pre-tax profits have jumped 19pc to £427m. The results are good news for all of us since WPP, with clients including Shell, HSBC and Ford, is seen as a bellwether for the economy.
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351

His own hubris has left Cameron diminished, but Ed comes over as a serial ditherer. And when the chance came, the LDs looked away. The only winners were the NOTAs.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    tim said:

@Topping

No point posing as a war leader when you can't tie you shoelaces before leaving the house.

It was ridiculous. No evidence (which is now degraded), no mandate, god knows what possessed him.

Thing is, there are only least awful solutions in Syria. He chose one on a tight spectrum and I do get the "don't do it again" tactic wrt chemical weapons.

But the muscle memory of this will be that he didn't lie, steamroll or sex anything up. He listened (because of course he had to) to his backbenchers and the opposition.

I don't see EdM anywhere in the legacy, especially with high-profile 70 Tory MPs making their case also.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    pfp - not a great day for The Co-Op...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23876218
  • Options
    Stuart_DicksonStuart_Dickson Posts: 3,557
    edited August 2013
    Financier said:

Stuart:
    Yet today's YougGov (as have many preceding it) shows the Scottish subsample (usual caveats) at Labour:41, SNP 22. Are you saying that the Scots have two different opinions, one for Westminster and one for the Scottish government?
    Latest Populus sub-sample
    Westminster VI in Scotland
    (+/- change from UK GE 2010)

SNP 37% (+17)
    Lab 35% (-7)
    Con 12% (-5)
    LD 10% (-9)
    UKIP 4% (+3)
    Grn 2% (+1)

http://www.populus.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Online-VI-27-08-2013.pdf

You like potato and I like potahto,
    You like tomato and I like tomahto,
    Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto.
    Let's call the whole thing off.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    TOPPING said:

tim said:

@Topping

No point posing as a war leader when you can't tie you shoelaces before leaving the house.

It was ridiculous. No evidence (which is now degraded), no mandate, god knows what possessed him.

Thing is, there are only least awful solutions in Syria. He chose one on a tight spectrum and I do get the "don't do it again" tactic wrt chemical weapons.

But the muscle memory of this will be that he didn't lie, steamroll or sex anything up. He listened (because of course he had to) to his backbenchers and the opposition.

I don't see EdM anywhere in the legacy, especially with high-profile 70 Tory MPs making their case also.
    EdM demonstrably changed government policy. This is an achievement for any LotO.

One of the interesting aspects of this "delay" is that is possible at all. To me that suggests that there was never a clear, obvious and urgent military target.

Certainly not a target where the govt were worried about permitting a week of truck loading and unloading.

• Options
    Sean_F said:

Most governments would settle for being 3% behind, at this stage.
    I'm sure that if SLab was 3 points ahead of the SNP on Holyrood VI we would never hear the end of it. But they're not.

Now, you haven't answered the question Sean: why the difference in midterm fortunes for the two governments?

• Options
    What is it about British Prime Ministers which makes them believe that we must get involved in every single trouble spot anywhere in the world irrespective of the cause, the cost and the consequences.
    For God's sake, we are a small island nation of modest and diminishing importance. Why can't Cameron and his ilk recognise this once and for all?
  • Options
    I must be getting old, and my memory failing, so could some kind soul remind me when it was that we launched a punishment strike for this outrage?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_phosphorus#Gaza_War_.282008.E2.80.932009.29
  • Options
    According to R5L, the legal advice on action against Syria will be released this morning.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Does anyone seriously think the Co-op has any meaningful future? Surely its glory days ended about 40-50 years ago.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

tim said:

@Topping

EdM demonstrably changed government policy. This is an achievement for any LotO.

One of the interesting aspects of this "delay" is that is possible at all. To me that suggests that there was never a clear, obvious and urgent military target.

Certainly not a target where the govt were worried about permitting a week of truck loading and unloading.

Cameron should have sucked it up and constituted a "war cabinet" including EdM. You'd think he would have learned.

Yes wrt the LotO but unfortunately for EdM one swallow does not a summer make. If his standing had been greater this would have been _yet another_ victory. As is, it is seen as opportunist and lacking in principle.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Doesn't anyone do due diligence any more before buying something?
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Syria: Grand old Duke of Washington?

The White House has reportedly hesitated. Whilst officials say its beyond the point of no return, Obama has been tinkering with what might happen and has reportedly trying to ensure that a new peace initiative miraculously emerges right on cue, no matter what.

In short, faced with the gross uncertainties of a limited military action, it could be the President is trying to build some certainty where he cant get any.

It will be interesting to see what the Russians, Syrians and Iranians do. Its also left those lined up to provide assistance and political cover scratching their heads. A number of building blocks in the global political front were due today (forget about the fun and games in London) so it will be interesting to see whether they occur.

At this juncture a direct action is still likely on the basis of US credibility and principle over chemical weapons usage but the strike-lite option has got yet another younger brother called strike-skinny. Which envelope he picks time will tell.
  • Options

What is it about British Prime Ministers which makes them believe that we must get involved in every single trouble spot anywhere in the world irrespective of the cause, the cost and the consequences.
    For God's sake, we are a small island nation of modest and diminishing importance. Why can't Cameron and his ilk recognise this once and for all?

Will it take a Suez II?

A Cartegena de las Indias II?

An Iraq III?

An Afghanistan V?

One day they might just get the message.
  • Options
    hucks67hucks67 Posts: 758
    Worrying if chemical weapons have managed to get into the hands of rebel forces in Syria. Some people online are suggesting that the UN investigators have been told by locals in Syria, that it was an unknown outside rebel group that had used the chemical weapon. If this is true, then it is a good thing that any military strike has been put on hold. The focus of the UN and the various governments should be to secure Syria, particularly to stop any chemical weapons being taken outside of the country.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    Plato said:

If you missed it Danny Fink has a super article on Syria - it starts like this http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/columnists/danielfinkelstein/article3853847.ece

"Let’s say that there is an epidemic of a disease that kills about ten of every 10,000 children. A vaccine is developed that eliminates the chance of getting the disease, but there is a problem. The vaccine kills. And five out of every 10,000 vaccinated children die as a result of receiving it. Would you vaccinate your child?

If your answer is that you would — after all, the vaccination halves the chance of death — you are relatively unusual. Most parents in a survey said they would not vaccinate. Because the vaccine kills. This example is provided by Tobias Moskowitz and Jon Wertheim in their excellent sports book Scorecasting. The authors are investigating what psychologists call “omission bias” — our tendency to judge harmful actions more harshly than equally, or even more, damaging inaction...

But every referee knows that it is far better to make such an omission than to make a call in the dying moments of a game and be wrong. So what happens? In sport after sport, the referees blow their whistles far more in the earlier parts of the game than in the closing stages, thus penalising those infringed against. Omission bias. "

The Spectator extended that analogy:

"...let’s just improve Finkelstein’s analogy with some more relevant info. What if the doc administering the vaccine and proclaiming its virtues had never been medically trained? What if every properly trained medic he had asked for advice had been against the vaccination?

What if we knew the doc had pulled the ‘five saved in every 10,000′ statistic out of his ass? And what if neighbouring hospitals were full to bursting with patients dying in their hundreds of thousands from awful diseases caused by other ‘vaccinations’ given by the same ‘doctor’ and his friends? What would a responsible, logical parent then decide, do you think, Lord Finkelstein?"

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/08/an-improvement-on-lord-finkelsteins-analogy/
  • Options
    Financier said:

dr_spyn said:

Doesn't anyone do due diligence any more before buying something?
    The proposed early flotation of the Co-op bank should prove an interesting, not to say challenging exercise.

• Options

dr_spyn said:

Does anyone seriously think the Co-op has any meaningful future? Surely its glory days ended about 40-50 years ago.
    The Co-op's glory days ended in 1973 north of the border, when the Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society committed suicide.

http://www.edinburghmuseums.org.uk/Venues/The-People-s-Story/Collections-(1)/Working-Life-In-Edinburgh/Power-to-the-People--The-Co-op

Reminiscent of the fate of Toryism north of the border after the once mighty Unionist Party committed suicide in 1965, by "merging" (ahem) with the English Conservative Party. We all know what happened thereafter. The pandas will have had their tea.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    As long as it keeps our nose out of Syria, I'm not going to worry about how it happened.

Bad day for the war-wanters on the site though..
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    More popcorn needed..Milli has just extended the whacking period.
    Bad guys whacking bad guys..and their kids...what sport.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    I suspect after 'bomber' Cameron's performance yesterday the polls will swing back pretty damn quickly.

He might have told his Mother he wanted to be Prime Minister because he'd 'be good at it' but I'm afraid the evidence points the other way. He's shown himself to be the reckless gung ho Bullingdon Boy many suspected he would be and the sooner the nuclear button is prized from his fingers the safer I'll feel.
  • Options
    Mr. Roger, I'm not sure that heeding the views of MPs to delay any decision on military action is necessarily well-characterised by the term 'reckless'.
  • Options
    There is an excellent scene in Charlie Wilson's War in which Philip Seymour-Hoffman's CIA agent tells the story of a young boy who experiences a series of ups and downs - he is given a horse; he falls off the horse and breaks his arm; he avoids being conscripted into the army as a result of his injury. The villagers react to each individual event: How wonderful for him! How terrible for him! How wonderful for him! The wise man says in response to each exclamation: "we'll see".

We are barely half way through the first chapter of Britain's response to the Syrian crisis and yet commentators on here and in the media are racing to write the conclusion to the political drama (or in some cases, Cameron's epitaph). Many will be made to look ridiculous before the day is out. They in turn will be replaced by people commenting on today's events, who will be proven comprehensively wrong within hours. Either may then be redeemed days, weeks or months later. Or not. The only certainty is that in very few cases will being wrong diminish anyone's enthusiasm for responding immediately to minor elements of long processes, or their confidence that they are right.

FWIW I am currently opposed to Britain participating in military action, but am open to persuasion that it is the right course. For me pre-requisites for any action are conclusive evidence that the Syrian government ordered the use of chemical weapons against civillians, a limited battle plan aimed only at military/government assets and with a clear objective, the support of parliament, broad international support (which does not necessarily mean the UNSC), a sufficiently robust opinion on the legality of intervention (these things are not clear cut) and a persuasive argument from the government that the negative consequences of taking the action will not outweigh the benefits. That last test is the hardest to fulfil and I cannot presently see how it will be met, but there are a lot of people with access to better information and more time on their hands to think about it than me, so let's see what they come up with.

• Options
    I heard on the radio that Labour have changed position yet again and are now opposing the Government motion which was, allegedly, a photocopy of their amendment yesterday.

I suspect Mili has overreached himself here. Even tories who are opposed to the war are not going to like this at all. I suspect there will be a closing of ranks and attacks of opportunism gone mad. Should all get quite tasty.

So far as polling is concerned I suspect Cameron's ratings as PM will take a knock, at least in the short term. This has not been his finest hour. Whether Ed will see any improvement has got to be more debatable and may well turn on how the media portray today.
  • Options
    Mr. Flockers, nice to see you on. I agree entirely that it's too early by far to say how this will play out politically.
  • Options
    Why all the fuss, they're only Syrians..
  • Options
    Just an aside: I checked the ARRSE forum for the first time in ages, and whilst the poll can't be considered scientific most who answered blamed Al-Qaeda rebels rather than Assad:
    http://www.arrse.co.uk/current-affairs-news-analysis/203240-syria-your-next-tour-merged-syria-threads.html
  • Options
    Mr. L, that sounds rather shabby, if accurate.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828
    Morning all :)

YouGov back to three (again) and some get very excited. We've been here before a good number of times and of course we had the ICM poll which now looks to have produced an outlier number for the Conservatives.

How often have the Conservatives been above 35% in any poll other than the ICM in the past couple of months ? Labour have certainly fallen back as SeanT rightly points but seem to have settled in the 36-38 range.

I agree it's possible Party Conference might provide a boost but as we all know such boosts are fleeting and more often than not the polling a week after all three Conferences is the same as it was a week before all three. That's not to say the same will happen this year.

My concern for the Coalition is that it still has to get through two winters when things don't always go as well as they do in the height of summer. I'm also keeping an eye on fuel prices and oil prices. As I've argued here before, those who spout the statistics of recovery forget that many people have yet to see their personal economic circumstances become demonstrably better. We can all feel better when it's holiday time and the weather's nice but the reality of a cold autumn and rising petrol prices might cause that euphoria to fray a little.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    David Cameron clearly believes action in Syria is the right thing to do. But he is also going through the correct processes and listening to parliament even if copper bottomed SHIT Ed Miliband is playing the worst kind of 'politics' with this important decision.

My personal approval for Camo is at the highest in a while at the moment.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    @MD

"and whilst the poll can't be considered scientific most who answered blamed Al-Qaeda rebels rather than Assad:"

This compounds Cameron's problems. Even for those who think punishment bombings acceptable (and in my view they're insane) believing he's bombing the wrong side will cause real outrage. Assad is not seen as Saddam was. He's hard to paint as a monster.
  • Options
    Come on those Syries.
    Come on those Rebels
    This whacking contest could go on for a long time..might even top the ratings.
  • Options
    wodger "Assad,hard to paint as a monster" in your book, just what does it take..
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    Morning all.

I'm going to say this once, and once only.

Nick Clegg was seriously impressive on Today this morning defending the government's position on Syria. A tricky gig by any standards, and he handled it superbly - coherent, articulate, balanced, passionate, and without any of the tetchiness he sometimes exhibits. I don't think I've heard a politician give a better interview for many months. Bravo!

Of course this is a separate question from whether one agrees with him or not; on the same programme, Sir Max Hastings argued very persuasively on the opposite side.
  • Options
    CarolaCarola Posts: 1,805
    edited August 2013
    Letter from Syria parliament speaker to UK MPs (page 1):

Mark Stone @Stone_SkyNews

Copy of page 1 of letter from #Syria parliament speaker to UK MPs and obtained by @skynews attached here: pic.twitter.com/DcUyUeAbCp

Mark Stone @Stone_SkyNews

Key extract of the 4 page letter from #Syria Parliament speaker to UK MPs - passed to @skynews - here: pic.twitter.com/Mh4zZs6ThY
  • Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    edited August 2013
    Either the use of chemical weapons is considered so serious that it merits being treated as a crime against humanity or it is not.

If it is then those responsible must be found and eventually face the ICC with a view to prosecuting them. Anything less will only encourage others to use chemical weapons attacks to force a military response on a regime they want to overthrow thus do precisely the opposite of discouraging their use. All possible uses of chemical weapons in Syria must be investigated and anyone implicated on either side found to have used them must then be held responsible for that use.

If the use of chemical weapons is seen as simply a pretext to enable an attack and the military degradation of one side or another in an intractable civil war then the damage will be immense.
  • Options
    Roger said:

@MD

"and whilst the poll can't be considered scientific most who answered blamed Al-Qaeda rebels rather than Assad:"

This compounds Cameron's problems. Even for those who think punishment bombings acceptable (and in my view they're insane) believing he's bombing the wrong side will cause real outrage. Assad is not seen as Saddam was. He's hard to paint as a monster.

Really Roger? I don't think its difficult to paint Assad as being brutal and cruel at all. Wether we should 'go in' to deal with him, and if we can make things better is another matter.

Assad is not a 'white hat'. There are no white hats it seems, just different grades of pretty dark grey.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Carola said:

Letter from Syria parliament speaker to UK MPs (page 1):

It's actually rather sickening that we're doing this....but theres no nice options.

• Options
    Mr. Roger, whoa there, crazy horse!

Whilst I believe it's possible Assad was not behind the chemical attack the regime's forces have committed a large number of vile acts that go beyond the usual horrors of war. But just because he's a monster doesn't mean the other side are saints (saints tend not to decapitate priests or eat the hearts of their enemies).
  • Options
    TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited August 2013
    This thread was about when Conservatives would take a lead in the polls over Labour. A very good one TSE. One or two posts about something not on topic can inform us all particularly if we have had a hundred other posts and in the morning thread there is a need to highlight through one post, a story that could change the polling.

But today I view the thread and it is literally polluted by "tim" repeating ad nauseum his spin about how bad Cameron is doing on Syria. The action of posting multiple posts repeating the same theme, detracts from the website and must add to the costs - possibly 10% to 20% of the sites costs caused by tim's posts? Now back to work!
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    Extraordinary how people are taking positions on Syria BEFORE the facts are released and the debate held, but then we saw that with Libya too, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

As for the politics, wait a few days.
  • Options

This thread was about when Conservatives would take a lead in the polls over Labour. A very good one TSE. One or two posts about something not on topic can inform us all particularly if we have had a hundred other posts and in the morning thread there is a need to highlight through one post, a story that could change the polling.

But today I view the thread and it is literally polluted by "tim" repeating ad nauseum his spin about how bad Cameron is doing on Syria. The action of posting multiple posts repeating the same theme, detracts from the website and must add to the costs - possibly 10% to 20% of the sites costs caused by tim's posts? Now back to work!

What's ironic is that Cameron is pushing for a position tim wants(like the good little neo-con Blair lover that he is), and Miliband against that position....
  • Options
    Oh dear....

http://rogueadventurer.com/2013/08/29/alleged-cw-munitions-in-syria-fired-from-iranian-falaq-2-type-launchers/

Looks as though Labour may have chosen the wrong side! Again....
This discussion has been closed.