Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Syria – How it will impact domestic politics

SystemSystem Posts: 11,007
edited August 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Syria – How it will impact domestic politics

Going forward, I would caution reading too much into polling changes over the next few days and weeks, particularly if they’re sub margin of error, plus if there is Western intervention in Syria, with UK participation, there could be a boost for the Government and David Cameron’s personal ratings, in the past, there have been on occasions short term boosts for the Government and Prime…

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    I never thought I'd ever be able to write in a pb thread header, Ed Miliband is a f****** c*** and a copper-bottomed s***
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    "Nick Clegg has also taken the opportunity to carve out a different position for the Lib Dems"

Has he? I thought he was agreeing with everything that Cameron was saying / doing?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,294
    edited August 2013
    Neil said:

"Nick Clegg has also taken the opportunity to carve out a different position for the Lib Dems"

Has he? I thought he was agreeing with everything that Cameron was saying / doing?

Yes, Iraq war = illegal, Syria War = Legal
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Neil said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ_usJlpem4
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Neil said:

Quite so.

• Options
    Mick_PorkMick_Pork Posts: 6,530
    More Answers Needed on Syria

By THE EDITORIAL BOARD

Despite the pumped-up threats and quickening military preparations, President Obama has yet to make a convincing legal or strategic case for military action against Syria. While there should be some kind of international response to the chemical weapons attack that killed hundreds of civilians last week, Mr. Obama has yet to spell out how that response would effectively deter further use of chemical weapons.

Before Britain proposed a resolution at the United Nations Security Council on Wednesday, the White House seemed ready to ignore the U. N. because Russia and China had repeatedly thwarted efforts to hold Mr. Assad to account. Despite diplomatic frustrations, the Security Council, on which Russia and China sit and have veto power, should be the first venue for dealing with this matter since chemical weapons use is a war crime and banned under international treaties.

Ideally, once presented with evidence, the council would condemn Mr. Assad, impose a ban on arms shipments to Syria (including materials used to make chemical weapons, which the regime is trying to buy on the open market) and send Mr. Assad’s name to the International Criminal Court for prosecution. That is what should happen; Mr. Assad’s Russia and Chinese enablers are the ones most able to stop his brutality.

Instead, Britain proposed a draft that would authorize military force against Syria. Predictably, Russia, Syria’s main arms supplier, and China balked, but there is still value in pushing the resolution to a vote so they are forced to choose to defend a leader accused of gassing his people.

Whether that resolution is acted on or not, President Obama now seems prepared to move toward military strikes. But not only is he unlikely to win Security Council backing for such an operation, he has failed to lay out any legal basis for it and has not won support from key organizations — namely the Arab League and NATO — that could provide legitimacy. The league, in a statement, did charge the Syrian government with chemical weapons use, but its member states like Saudi Arabia, a top funder of the anti-Assad rebels, declined to support the use of force publicly.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/29/opinion/more-answers-needed-on-syria.html?hp&_r=1&
  • Options
    Doubt it will make much difference, unless something happens which is then seen to be a success or a failure.

It seems to me that both Cameron and Miliband have failed to engage properly with their parties here. That is piss poor political management and not what the country needs when so much is at stake. Petulant name calling is just pathetic. #JCRisation
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,131
    My guess is that an angry Cameron will try to tear Miliband a new one this afternoon. Whether he succeeds or not this is going to get shouty and poisonous.

Miliband is obviously hoping that with the support of a lot of unhappy tory backbenchers he will be able to humiliate Cameron and kill all this weak, weak talk over the summer stone dead. Whether he succeeds or not this is going to get shouty and poisonous.

Politicans of both parties have in the past largely tried to avoid splits on foreign affairs on party lines. You can argue whether that is a good thing or not. Clearly the tories should have been a lot more sceptical about Blair's lies on Iraq for example. But it has helped our Foreign Secretary of whatever hue negotiate and agree matters with a degree of confidence. Without that it becomes very difficult to be a meaningful part of alliances.

International affairs rarely have much impact on voting intentions. This just might be different, not in terms of the policy but the perceptions of the leaders.
  • Options
    RichardNabaviRichardNabavi Posts: 3,413
    If, as Dan Hodges says, Ed Miliband did indeed renege on an undertaking given to the PM on a matter of such importance, then that is seriously worrying. I'm inclined to think that Dan H is accurate on this - it certainly chimes with the sequence of events as they unfolded yesterday, and is supported (albeit with less detail) in accounts from other journalists:

Labour toughened its stance against UK military action only a day after Ed Miliband signalled that the Opposition was likely to support Mr Cameron.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/back-from-the-brink-ed-miliband-forces-david-cameron-to-retreat-over-syria-military-action-8788612.html

Even if you were wavering over whether Ed Miliband’s decision yesterday to reject the government’s motion on Syria (before it was published) was a political stunt, it’s a little more difficult to see why the Labour leader plans to continue to oppose the rewritten motion when it comes to a vote in the Commons this evening

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/08/number-10-ed-miliband-wants-to-divide-the-nation-on-syria/

What's more, this breach of faith by Miliband, if that's what it is, seems to be a strategic dead-end:

Actually, the real mess for Miliband will come when he has to decide whether to back the second vote approving UK involvement in an intervention. He may have caused panic in Downing Street tonight, but he will surely find himself feeling a little jittery if and when he has to explain to his party that he really does support intervention after all.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/08/camerons-retreat-on-syria-vote-why-it-happened-and-what-it-means/
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    “It could well be, military action begins and continues during the party conference season which starts in just over a fortnight”

If so, any reading of the polls will be virtually meaningless as they notorious bounce around then in any case. – As for any effect the Syria debacle will have on future polling, I think the military action carried out against Libya will provide a possible starting point for a reasonable guesstimate.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Nabbers

It must surely come as little surprise that having agreed a Syria position with the Prime Minister that Ed Milband then stabbed him in the back. Ed has family form after all.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    edited August 2013
    Re: party splits
    The UKIP number should be +12, not -18.

(I'm assuming these numbers relate to the Cameron question?)
  • Options
    @JackW - True, and there have been other examples as well - didn't he do something similar on the charter for press regulation?
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Re: party splits
    The UKIP number should be +12, not -18.

(I'm assuming these numbers relate to the Cameron question?)

I've updated the tweet

No it is minus 18

Total agree 36, total disagree 54.

Page 3

http://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/31szhcvsvt/YouGov-Times-Syria-Results-130828.pdf
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    edited August 2013

If, as Dan Hodges says, Ed Miliband did indeed renege on an undertaking given to the PM on a matter of such importance, then that is seriously worrying. I'm inclined to think that Dan H is accurate on this - it certainly chimes with the sequence of events as they unfolded yesterday, and is supported (albeit with less detail) in accounts from other journalists:

No10 really have gone totally OTT on this. Parliament is not a rubber stamp. LotO is doing his job. Neither reflects badly on no10. In fact, it distinguishes us and reflects well on both.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

As for any effect the Syria debacle will have on future polling, I think the military action carried out against Libya will provide a possible starting point for a reasonable guesstimate.

= no effect?

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Jonathan said:

No10 really have gone totally OTT on this. Parliament is not a rubber stamp. LotO is doing his job. Neither reflects badly on no10. In fact, it distinguishes us.
    Bollocks. If Miliband said one thing behind closed doors to No10, then reversed that position, that is something very serious and unworthy of a potential PM.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Doubt it will make much difference, unless something happens which is then seen to be a success or a failure.

It seems to me that both Cameron and Miliband have failed to engage properly with their parties here.

Really? I saw some growing squeamishness and party management issues from Labour when little Ed seemed to be agreeing with everything Cammie said but not so much now. I somehow doubt the fury of Dan Hodges isn't something he can't live with if his current stance makes his party management easier, which it will.

Cameron's fury is white hot because for all his huffing and puffing it's not just little Ed who let him dangle in the wind with his bare arse hanging out, but his own backbenchers. So that's a definite party management issue.

Neither though can compare to Clegg. If you think his incredible stance is somehow going down well with the lib dem grass roots then I fear you shall be in for a shock come conference. This is the icing on the cake of a summer where he has yet again proved to be utterly out of touch to what most of his his party thought they stood for. Whether they start in a few months, a year or in 2015 there shall be whisper campaigns against Clegg from his own side and they will not be pleasant.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Jonathan said:

No10 really have gone totally OTT on this. Parliament is not a rubber stamp. LotO is doing his job. Neither reflects badly on no10. In fact, it distinguishes us.
    Come on, telling the PM that Labour would support a motion on a grave matter, and then changing his mind an hour or so after the meeting? Hardly the LotO doing his job, unless you take a peculiarly New Labour view that everything, but everything, is secondary to trying to gain party-political advantage.
  • Options

As for any effect the Syria debacle will have on future polling, I think the military action carried out against Libya will provide a possible starting point for a reasonable guesstimate.

= no effect?

Basically, yes.
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Come on, telling the PM that Labour would support a motion on a grave matter, and then changing his mind an hour or so after the meeting? Hardly the LotO doing his job, unless you take a peculiarly New Labour view that everything, but everything, is secondary to trying to gain party-political advantage.
    Some people might take the view that Miliband has now corrected an earlier mistake of agreeing with the PM.
  • Options
    Ok, who put £2.02 on Alistair Darling?

Paddy Power Politics ‏@pppolitics 31s

More bets placed on Alistair Darling to be next #Chancellor after George Osborne - Ed Balls still 7/2 fav, but Darling in from 20/1 to 8/1
  • Options
    On WATO was Alistair Burt, the FO Minister. A slimy europhile toerag which explains the inept handling of this with the Conservative back benches.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Some people might take the view that Miliband has now corrected an earlier mistake of agreeing with the PM.

Indeed so, and they might be right on the substance.

However, the time to decide your position, if you're Leader of the Opposition and have pretensions to be Prime Minister, is before you give undertakings, not after.
  • Options

@JackW - True, and there have been other examples as well - didn't he do something similar on the charter for press regulation?

If ever we saw yet another example of why Ed is unfit for high office we have it here.

Ed was briefed under Privy Council terms and accordingly had access to sensitive security information. He then agreed a formula going forward that enjoyed all party support and then for party advantage (very short term IMO) he reneged.

I'm unsurprised by Cameron's and the governments reaction. Ed is a wretchedly weak and snivelling piss poor excuse for a leader and the sooner the nation has done with him the better - May 2015 can't come soon enough.

• Options
    MBoyMBoy Posts: 104

Spot on. The Labour Party's position right now appears to be trying to frame Syria as Iraq and then oppose action in atonement for Iraq.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    JackW said:

I'm unsurprised by Cameron's and the governments reaction. Ed is a wretchedly weak and snivelling piss poor excuse for a leader and the sooner the nation has done with him the better

Sadly, I think that is true, but I don't share your confidence that the nation won't find out the hard way.
  • Options
    JackW said:

I'm unsurprised by Cameron's and the governments reaction. Ed is a wretchedly weak and snivelling piss poor excuse for a leader and the sooner the nation has done with him the better - May 2015 can't come soon enough.

So which Government source called Ed Miliband, “a f——-g c—t and a copper-bottomed s—t.”?

Excluding Buck House, I think I’ve narrowed down the list of suspects to 11, 418.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    From the Times breaking news ticker

Labour 'to vote against' Government's Syria motion

Labour will vote against the Government's motion on the principle of military intervention in Syria, a senior party source told the Press Association
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    BBC ticker.

BREAKING NEWS:Labour says it will vote against the government's motion on Syria live
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

It seems to me that both Cameron and Miliband have failed to engage properly with their parties here.

Really? I saw some growing squeamishness and party management issues from Labour when little Ed seemed to be agreeing with everything Cammie said but not so much now. I somehow doubt the fury of Dan Hodges isn't something he can't live with if his current stance makes his party management easier, which it will.

Cameron's fury is white hot because for all his huffing and puffing it's not just little Ed who let him dangle in the wind with his bare arse hanging out, but his own backbenchers. So that's a definite party management issue.

Neither though can compare to Clegg. If you think his incredible stance is somehow going down well with the lib dem grass roots then I fear you shall be in for a shock come conference. This is the icing on the cake of a summer where he has yet again proved to be utterly out of touch to what most of his his party thought they stood for. Whether they start in a few months, a year or in 2015 there shall be whisper campaigns against Clegg from his own side and they will not be pleasant.

Miliband should have known that Labour MPs would be very wary of an intervention in Syria before he spoke to Cameron. Cameron should have carefully canvassed opinion among Tory backbenchers before taking the position he did. Neither looks very good as a result. The subsequent name calling and toys out of the pram nonsense from the Tory high command is utterly pathetic and totally JCR. It's not Miliband's fault that Cameron cannot carry his own party with him.

• Options
    so tell me Ed is that a principled unwhipped no vote or a principled whipped no vote?
  • Options

JackW said:

So which Government source called Ed Miliband, “a f——-g c—t and a copper-bottomed s—t.”?

Excluding Buck House, I think I’ve narrowed down the list of suspects to 11, 418.
    If you were a Tory backbencher or a mischievous Labour backbencher, you would ask this

Mr Speaker, does the Prime Minister agree that Ed Miliband is a f——-g c—t and a copper-bottomed s—t.
  • Options
    Poor tim.... not a good day for supporting Miliband for him.

• Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited August 2013
    JackW said:

Nabbers

It must surely come as little surprise that having agreed a Syria position with the Prime Minister that Ed Milband then stabbed him in the back. Ed has family form after all.

As you rightly say EdM has form , clearly only an idiot would trust him. If Cameron entered into a gentlemen's agreement with Miliband then Cameron was an idiot and a mug.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    Times piece says meeting of the conservative parliamentary party went better than expected, apart from one or two usual suspects, Cameron's arguments persuasive, and Ed's actions helping unify the Parliamentary conservative party.
  • Options
    tim said:

No PB Tories commenting on the rise in net migration today?

One year's figures in a volatile series of flows? No, of course no-one's commenting.

Come back when you've got some statistically-siginficant data showing the trend over the parliament.
  • Options

JackW said:

I'm unsurprised by Cameron's and the governments reaction. Ed is a wretchedly weak and snivelling piss poor excuse for a leader and the sooner the nation has done with him the better

Sadly, I think that is true, but I don't share your confidence that the nation won't find out the hard way.
    I think the numbers reveal the public, even Labour voters, know the truth even if until the GE they are reluctant pull the trap door on Ed.

• Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    "Lab split 37/43 (net -14) "

Is this meant to be 33/47? Probably just a typo on an otherwise excellent post by TSE, I should add.
  • Options
    ** Lib Dem members’ poll results on Syria ** Military intervention: 25% say No, 7% say Yes. 62% say Yes BUT…

http://www.libdemvoice.org/syria-lib-dem-members-poll-35939.html
  • Options
    JackW said:

I think the numbers reveal the public, even Labour voters, know the truth even if until the GE they are reluctant pull the trap door on Ed.

I hope you're right and it turns out for the best, but I'm still taking precautions in case of the worst.
  • Options
    Which MP will ask David Cameron about when he first learnt about the other 14 uses of lethal CW in Syria?
  • Options

JackW said:

Nabbers

As you rightly say EdM has form , clearly only an idiot would trust him. If Cameron entered into a gentleman's agreement with Miliband then Cameron was an idiot and a mug.

Unfair MDC.

Cameron has effectively given away the PM's power under the royal prerogative to wage war in favour of HoC scrutiny and a substantive vote. Accordingly and correctly on such a grave matter the LotO was engaged and briefed.

Ed agreed an all party line, reneged and dissembled. The blame lies with Ed and not a Prime Minister attempting a reasoned consensus.

• Options
    Quincel said:

"Lab split 37/43 (net -14) "

Is this meant to be 33/47? Probably just a typo on an otherwise excellent post by TSE, I should add.

Mea culpa
  • Options
    tim - is this Ed M's Kosovo?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,141
    Given that apparently the parties make up their minds how they're going to vote in private meetings between the leaders before parliament actually debates anything, what's the point in making the MPs show up in parliament to vote?
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    7% - Yes, intervention is essential

12% – Yes BUT only if compelling evidence is found by UN inspectors of the use of chemical weapons by the Assad regime

9% – Yes BUT only if Parliament approves military intervention with achievable outcomes

4% – Yes BUT only if the United Nations security council sanctions military intervention

37% – Yes BUT only if ALL these conditions – compelling evidence; Parliamentary approval; United Nations sanction – are met

25% - No, intervention is wrong

6% – Other

1% – Don’t know
    LOL

The strain from Clegg's spinners is clearly showing if that's the best they can come up with. They could have surely have fit another few options in the "Yes, BUT" column as a mere four shows a distinct lack of ambition. ;)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,249
    Public sees:

1. Ed agreeing in principle that gassing children should have repercussions; then
    2. Ed adding some sensible conditions to his principled position (UN, etc); and then
    3. Ed disagreeing in principle that gassing children should have repercussions.

He has snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

12% – Yes BUT only if compelling evidence is found by UN inspectors of the use of chemical weapons by the Assad regime

9% – Yes BUT only if Parliament approves military intervention with achievable outcomes

4% – Yes BUT only if the United Nations security council sanctions military intervention

37% – Yes BUT only if ALL these conditions – compelling evidence; Parliamentary approval; United Nations sanction – are met

6% – Other

1% – Don’t know
    LOL

The strain from Clegg's spinners is clearly showing if that's the best they can come up with. They could have surely have fit another few options in the "Yes, BUT" column as a mere four shows a distinct lack of ambition. ;)

Would the numbers for SNP voters be much less diverse ?? or are they waiting for the latest Sino/SNP foreign policy line to decide ?

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    As I said last night - Ed Miliband is patently unfit to be Prime Minister.

The public will take notice - even though they may not fancy bombing Syria - They will be well aware that Red clearly isn't up to the job of Prime Minister.

Imagine if this character had to defend the Falkands or something do something equally serious in defence of Britains interests....

As Richard Nabavi has been saying for some time, what should really terrify Labour supporters is what the hell they would do should Miliband some-how luck himself into Downing Street on 33% of vote and after effectively losing the election.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Maybe Ed Miliband is looking at what happened to IDS when he did the honourable thing for the country in 2003.

He never even got to fight an election.

Maybe Britain gets the politicians it deserves.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    edited August 2013
    Well, well, well. Whoever in No 10 came out with the "copper-bottomed/effin c" diatribe re EdM was certainly incredibly perceptive and prescient.

What a monumental screw-up by the ever-opportunistic and increasingly hopeless Miliband.

Let's hope Cameron crucifies him for it.
  • Options
    The public will take notice

The most liked comments on the Mail's site are all thanking Ed for his intervention.
  • Options

tim said:

No PB Tories commenting on the rise in net migration today?

One year's figures in a volatile series of flows? No, of course no-one's commenting.

Come back when you've got some statistically-siginficant data showing the trend over the parliament.
    Every other release of these numbers has been commented on, when they've shown a decrease in line with Cameron's policy. Insisting on statistical significance now is risible.

It's understandable that they haven't been commented on because of Syria
  • Options
    taffys said:

The most liked comments on the Mail's site are all thanking Ed for his intervention.

Ukip supporting Ed's volte farce is hardly surprising.

• Options
    Are Labour employing a whip during the debate? If so how many honourable members will ignore it and how many will be required to make Militwunt's position untenable...?
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826
    edited August 2013
    Deleted - misread quote.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    JackW said:

Mick_Pork said:

6% – Other

1% – Don’t know
    LOL

Would the numbers for SNP voters be much less diverse ?? or are they waiting for the latest Sino/SNP foreign policy line to decide ?

Calm down old chap. Angus Robertson was quite clear about the need for actual evidence from on the ground and a UN led response when he was one of the first to demand a recall of parliament. Don't blame me that Clegg looks like a spineless yellow tory unable to say no to Cammie yet again.

• Options

Indeed so, and they might be right on the substance.

However, the time to decide your position, if you're Leader of the Opposition and have pretensions to be Prime Minister, is before you give undertakings, not after.
    Mr Sparrow, of the Guardian Live Blog, seems to think there is not much difference between the position of the Labour/PC/SNP amendment and the Government motion, and that Cameron may simply accept the amendment.

I think the main substantive difference is that the Opposition amendment calls for another vote in Parliament to authorise military action once the UN has reported and the Security Council voted. This is not really enough of a difference to justify allegations of unreliability.
  • Options
    Ed Miliband ‏@Ed_Miliband 6m
    Today I will present a clear roadmap for deciding on the use of military force in #Syria.

That roadmap will have about as much sense as Browns '5 tests' for joining the euro...
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901

Mick_Pork said:

Miliband should have known that Labour MPs would be very wary of an intervention in Syria before he spoke to Cameron. Cameron should have carefully canvassed opinion among Tory backbenchers before taking the position he did. Neither looks very good as a result. The subsequent name calling and toys out of the pram nonsense from the Tory high command is utterly pathetic and totally JCR. It's not Miliband's fault that Cameron cannot carry his own party with him.

That JCR thing isn't catching on
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Plaid Cymru and SNP back Labour’s Syria motion

Earlier today we posted Labour’s amendment to the Government’s Syria motion
    (which is practically a separate motion as it replaces all of the government text).

The motion now has the support of both Plaid Cymru and SNP leaders in Westminster – Elfyn Llwyd and Angus Robertson – that’s an extra 9 MPs backing Labour’s motion, and other small parties might be expected to follow suit.

Here’s the motion with Plaid and SNP (as well as Labour) proposers:

http://labourlist.org/2013/08/plaid-cymru-and-snp-back-labours-syria-motion/
  • Options
    NextNext Posts: 826

Ed Miliband ‏@Ed_Miliband 6m
    Today I will present a clear roadmap for deciding on the use of military force in #Syria.

That roadmap will have about as much sense as Browns '5 tests' for joining the euro...

It's not Miliband's choice. It is Cameron who is choosing to go to parliament.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    JackW said:

If ever we saw yet another example of why Ed is unfit for high office we have it here.

Ed was briefed under Privy Council terms and accordingly had access to sensitive security information. He then agreed a formula going forward that enjoyed all party support and then for party advantage (very short term IMO) he reneged.

I read somewhere (might have been the Telegraph) that Ed changed his mind because he was faced with resignations.

Either way he cannot be trusted to run the Country
  • Options
    taffys said:

Maybe Ed Miliband is looking at what happened to IDS when he did the honourable thing for the country in 2003.

IDS attempted to paint Tony Blair as an anti-American lefty from the 1980s, thereby providing no effective scrutiny of the decision to go to war, and you call that doing the honourable thing for the country?

Few Members of Parliament come out of that episode with their reputations enhanced, and IDS certainly wasn't one of them.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    It really is dancing on pinheads splitting the difference between the two motions. There's a case to be made for supporting both; there's a case to be made for opposing both; it'll take some fancy footwork to support only one without looking opportunist.
  • Options

It really is dancing on pinheads splitting the difference between the two motions. There's a case to be made for supporting both; there's a case to be made for opposing both; it'll take some fancy footwork to support only one without looking opportunist.

And yet - as it stands - that ridiculous position is the one in which both Cameron and Miliband will find themselves.
  • Options

tim - is this Ed M's Kosovo?

tim - when you are back, is this a fair question?

• Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795

Well, well, well. Whoever in No 10 came out with the "copper-bottomed/effin c" diatribe re EdM was certainly incredibly perceptive and prescient.

What a monumental screw-up by the ever-opportunistic and increasingly hopeless Miliband.

Let's hope Cameron crucifies him for it.

Have a bit more respect for your future Prime Minister.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    ''Few Members of Parliament come out of that episode with their reputations enhanced, and IDS certainly wasn't one of them.''

What a completely incoherent and nonsensical point. Without IDS Blair would have lost the vote and not been able to go to war because most of his own party and the libs were against.

If Blair had lost, having pledged his support to Bush, he would have been obliged to resign, and there would probably have been an election.

It would have been far more advantageous politically for IDS to swing the tories into opposition to war. Far, far more.

Instead he chose to support the PM. And he was rewarded with ashes. By both sides.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

JackW said:

Mick_Pork said:

6% – Other

1% – Don’t know
    LOL

Calm down old chap. Angus Robertson was quite clear about the need for actual evidence from on the ground and a UN led response when he was one of the first to demand a recall of parliament. Don't blame me that Clegg looks like a spineless yellow tory unable to say no to Cammie yet again.

So in the final analysis the SNP line is we hope the Chinese will not veto a UN resolution.

Good luck with that.

• Options
    taffys said:

One can thank an individual for the effect of his intervention while still holding him in contempt for the manner of it.
  • Options
    FBU votes 78% yes for strike action.
  • Options

Shouldn't be a problem, the voters won't follow the detail. The media like to play up conflicts even if there's no real substance to fight about.

I guess Cameron could just accept the Labour version and defuse the whole thing, but the optics of doing that may not be what he's after.
  • Options
    Curious, the attorney general says he won't publish the full legal advice.

That almost sounds familiar.
    Matt Seys-Llewellyn ‏@SessSays 12m

Its not the full legal advice, but is an official summary on the legality on a Syrian campaign: http://tinyurl.com/o9gv2mx (HT @carlgardner)
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Guido is pointing out some classic Labour hypodricy
  • Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    edited August 2013
    JackW said:

Jack

Absolutely the key point about Miliband, and one which will have more sway in the Palace, Washington, the capitals of NATO members and amongst the greybeards of the great and good.

Miliband's first response to crises tends to be reasonable and statesmanlike, but when he gets back to the office his shadow cabinet, union sponsors and party opportunists play on his indecisiveness. They know he can be swayed and made to follow rather than lead.

It is the inheritance of many Islington dinner parties at which Ralph wheeled out his clever children to impress guests such as Tony Benn. Policy development by port washed polemic.

Miliband's desire to force Labour onto the front pages is increasing the likelihood of military action.

The aim of the US and the UK is to force Russia to honour the commitment it made at the G8 summit to co-operate within the UNSC in the event that Syria deployed its chemical weapons. It is therefore essential that the key western powers demonstrate a united political front to allow Russia no wriggle room.

Just imagine the sardonic grin on the Russian Ambassador's face as he pens his daily report to Lavrov on UK parliamentary resolve and gives advice on how Miliband's dithering can be played to advantage in the negotiations at the UN.

Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear.

Boy Miliband, what have you done?

• Options
    ''One can thank an individual for the effect of his intervention while still holding him in contempt for the manner of it.''

The public doesn;t mind politicians who are complete sh8ts. Complete sh8ts are very wary of public opinion, and thus unlikely to mortgage British blood and treasure on high minded disasters.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799

taffys said:

One can thank an individual for the effect of his intervention while still holding him in contempt for the manner of it.
    True. If Milliband did tell the PM that he would support the motion, before then changing his mind, that would be pretty dishonourable,

• Options
    AveryLP said:

and gives advice on how Miliband's dithering can be played to advantage in the negotiations at the UN.

No disrespect intended to Britain or Ed Miliband, but I think you may be over-estimating their importance in this...
  • Options

AveryLP said:

and gives advice on how Miliband's dithering can be played to advantage in the negotiations at the UN.

No disrespect intended to Britain or Ed Miliband, but I think you may be over-estimating their importance in this...
    Really? must have missed us giving up our seat on the security council.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    JackW said:

So in the final analysis the SNP line is we hope the Chinese will not veto a UN resolution.

Good luck with that.

The need for a UN resolution might be lost on your strange new breed of Cameroonian lib dems, but demanding a recall and insisting on UN authorisation mattered back when lib dems weren't the tories little helpers.
    Kennedy demands Commons recall

Liberal Democrat leader Charles Kennedy has called for a recall of the House of Commons to debate a possible second United Nations resolution on the Iraq crisis.

Following the chief weapons inspectors' report to the Security Council, the UK's ambassador to the UN Sir Jeremy Greenstock indicated that Britain and America would be working on a draft resolution to be presented to other members over the next week...

Mr Kennedy, who was today joining anti-war protesters in London, has insisted that no British troops should be committed to action in Iraq without a fresh UN mandate and the approval of MPs in a House of Commons vote.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-161323/Kennedy-demands-Commons-recall.html
    Good luck with being Cammie's yes men on this one.
  • Options
    I find the high minded attitude to what Miliband is doing interesting It is a complete myth that British leaders have never used war to jostle politically.

Lloyd George and Bonar Law ousted Asquith in the teeth of WW1, for example.
  • Options
    taffys said:

''Few Members of Parliament come out of that episode with their reputations enhanced, and IDS certainly wasn't one of them.''

What a completely incoherent and nonsensical point. Without IDS Blair would have lost the vote and not been able to go to war because most of his own party and the libs were against.

If Blair had lost, having pledged his support to Bush, he would have been obliged to resign, and there would probably have been an election.

It would have been far more advantageous politically for IDS to swing the tories into opposition to war. Far, far more.

Instead he chose to support the PM. And he was rewarded with ashes. By both sides.

No. Labour held a huge majority in the 2001-5 parliament. If IDS had opposed Britain joining Bush's war in Iraq (or, more credibly, had Clarke won the 2001 Tory leadership election), Blair would indeed have had to resign had he lost that vote. There would not have been an election. Brown would have been nominated by the cabinet to succeed Blair and would have formed a government enjoying the confidence of parliament. And though Brown would have lost seats in 2005/6, as Blair did but for different reasons, chances are he'd still have won.

(The chances of Brown calling a snap election would have been much reduced had the Tories - or at least, Tory leadership - been largely against the Iraq War. In that situation, you can imagine that there would have been a sizable Tory lead, especially if it had been Clarke rather than IDS. That lead might have dropped on Brown becoming PM but I doubt we'd have seen the kind of bounce he achieved in 2007 if he'd been on the 'wrong' side too in 2003.)
  • Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    Hypocrites

@dlknowles
    Ukip's last manifesto called for a 40% increase in defence spending. They don't like foreign wars. Really, who do they think is the threat?
  • Options
    taffys said:

I find the high minded attitude to what Miliband is doing interesting It is a complete myth that British leaders have never used war to jostle politically.

Asquith was a useless war leader, to be fair.
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    BenM said:

Hypocrites

@dlknowles
    Ukip's last manifesto called for a 40% increase in defence spending. They don't like foreign wars. Really, who do they think is the threat?

The real threat are types like BenM.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    BenM said:

Hypocrites

@dlknowles

That's not really hypocrisy, BenM.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,901
    BenM said:

Hypocrites

@dlknowles

Hardly.

The enemy are people or countries that are attacking the UK. Our defences aren't the world police
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,467
    I think UKIP are wrong to be against action in all circumstances.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,828
    Afternoon all :)

I was doing the washing-up and just realised what a site like this would have been like on July 29th 1914, the day after Austria declared war on Serbia. I wonder if a majority would have supported going to war then - by August 4th, sentiment had changed completely.

I don't think anyone is now saying "let's not wait for the UN". I'm also sure most would support a resolution calling on all sides in Syria to hand over any chemical weapons for destruction by the UN and perhaps a renewed diplomatic and humanitarian effort.

As some have argued on here, the use of chemical weapons is the tip of the iceberg of violence and destruction and ending the fighting (as well as alleviating the suffering) should be more of a priority than the destruction of chemical munitions.

• Options
    I'm not sure what's more amusingly contemptible:

1) Conservatives attempting party political point scoring by accusing EdM of party political point scoring

2) Conservatives whining that the proven liar Cameron was lied to by EdM

Southam describes it as JCR, junior school would be more appropriate. Pitt and Palmerston, Lloyd-George and Churchill, your like wont be seen again.

Pity the poor servicemen who are going to have to risk their lives on behalf of this rabble.

And the only thanks they'll get will be to appear as backdrop in some political photostunts followed by another round of defence cuts.

• Options

AveryLP said:

Really? must have missed us giving up our seat on the security council.
    I don't want to rain on anyone's post-imperial parade but this is a dispute between Obama, Putin and Assad. The seat of a medium-sized European country is neither here or there. If Britain was acting independently and might plausibly be the veto player unless it got concessions I suppose it might be a factor, but everyone knows they'll just vote with the US.
  • Options
    Mick_Pork said:

JackW said:

Good luck with that.

The need for a UN resolution might be lost on your strange new breed of Cameroonian lib dems, but demanding a recall and insisting on UN authorisation mattered back when lib dems weren't the tories little helpers.
    Kennedy demands Commons recall

Liberal Democrat leader Charles Kennedy has called for a recall of the House of Commons to debate a possible second United Nations resolution on the Iraq crisis.

Following the chief weapons inspectors' report to the Security Council, the UK's ambassador to the UN Sir Jeremy Greenstock indicated that Britain and America would be working on a draft resolution to be presented to other members over the next week...

Mr Kennedy, who was today joining anti-war protesters in London, has insisted that no British troops should be committed to action in Iraq without a fresh UN mandate and the approval of MPs in a House of Commons vote.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-161323/Kennedy-demands-Commons-recall.html
    Good luck with being Cammie's yes men on this one.

What the LibDems did or didn't do in 2003 is of no great interest to me.

What we know for sure is that a UN resolution calling for military action against Syria will be vetoed by Russia and Salmond's Chinese allies.

What would Salmond wish us to do then - Something or nothing? Difficult decisions are at times the very business of government. Salmond made his choice with the Chinese. Cameron and the Coalition will make theirs with Syria.

• Options

taffys said:

Asquith was a useless war leader, to be fair.
    squiffy -drunk: Squiffites followers of Asquith.
  • Options
    ulsterman puts Cameron on the spot on the other 14 CW attacks.
  • Options
    David Herdson,

I';ve just checked it again and the commons vote for Iraq 2003 was 412 to 149. Pretty decisive.

Take 150 (?) tories from one side to the other and it looks a lot closer, however.

Could labour have carried on if Blair had been defeated until 2005 having utterly funked their biggest challenge in 2003, even with a huge majority? I'm not sure.

In effect, all that IDS achieved was to prolong the complete illusion that his enemies were a responsible party of government.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214
    Thus far Cameron is delivering one of his best speeches ever.
This discussion has been closed.