Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Fallow quits as defence secretary

SystemSystem Posts: 11,003
edited November 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Fallow quits as defence secretary

BREAKING- Michael Fallon has resigned as Defence Secretary, admitting his behaviour in the past may have ‘fallen short’

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Would be first but need to check my bets.
  • Options
    I'm assuming at least one of the papers have something on him.
  • Options
    Footballing tip of the evening.

Emre Can to score a hat-trick

325/1 with Paddy Power.
  • Options

It does seem likely
  • Options
    Can you all forget about that thread I wrote a few weeks ago tipping Sir Michael Fallon as next Prime Minister.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,609

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/925806802582851592
    Wait what? Is something worse coming out or something?

A hand on a knee 15 years ago.

I’m aware of the hand on knee story, but even I’m shocked that’s he’s resigning over that, given JHB’s response. That’s why I thought is something worse than that story coming out?
    Hence why my initial reaction is did he just want out - if not that or that there is worse to come out, it does seem very odd. Sure, as the first big name to own up to something there might have been pressure to resign, but given JHB's response, I really didn't get the impression there was that much pressure, in fact I don't recall anyone even suggesting it.
    Prior to this I would have had Fallon as a dark horse candidate for PM - stolid, but not as grey as Hammond, and had a bit of a talent for being an attack dog without provoking the sort of instinctual dislike of regular attack dogs.
  • Options

Can you all forget about that thread I wrote a few weeks ago tipping Sir Michael Fallon as next Prime Minister.

No
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,095
    It turns out the defence secretary was defenceless following a minor assault. Much like the British Armed Forces.

I'm just imagining the Guardian headline.
  • Options

I think I missed it, though I had the same thought, so perfectly willing to forget it again for you.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

hps://twitter.com/jimwaterson/status/925810598021140480

It'd be funny if he ranked where she fell in the list of four PMs he has served.
  • Options

Hey, if this brings down the government and Corbyn is implicated in the fiasco engulfing Labour it may be a winning bet still!
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I think I missed it, though I had the same thought, so perfectly willing to forget it again for you.
    http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2017/09/07/how-kim-jong-un-makes-sir-michael-fallon-prime-minister/
  • Options
    I'm never playing the next out of cabinet market again.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    Hip Hip Hooray! The first of many hopefully.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

It'd be funny if he ranked where she fell in the list of four PMs he has served.
    She is the only one who never won an outright majority at a general election.

I doubt if she would want to know.

Or she might get the Sir Humphrey response of 'a Prime Minister without parallel in my experience.'
  • Options
    Given his reasons for going, hopefully this will encourage more true accusations as people see there are consequences, even as there will no doubt be an increase in false accusations as well, since such is life.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,834

LOL.
  • Options
    Any thoughts on next Minister for Cuts Defence Secretary? Priti Patel would seeem one possible.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,935
    SeanT said:

One small, fatal step closer to PM Corbyn. Gawd elp us.

I doubt it makes much difference at all, Corbyn was going to be PM of a minority Labour government reliant on SNP and LD support if there was an election today yesterday and would be PM of a minority Labour government if there was an election tomorrow. However the election is not tomorrow.
  • Options
    His wikipedia page has already gotten confused - Secretary of State for Defence from July 1901 - November 1934 seems wrong.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Or she might get the Sir Humphrey response of 'a Prime Minister without parallel in my experience.'
    Mind you she is actually PM which is more than can be said for Hague, IDS and Howard who he also served under when they were Tory leaders.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    kle4 said:

I’m aware of the hand on knee story, but even I’m shocked that’s he’s resigning over that, given JHB’s response. That’s why I thought is something worse than that story coming out?
    Hence why my initial reaction is did he just want out - if not that or that there is worse to come out, it does seem very odd. Sure, as the first big name to own up to something there might have been pressure to resign, but given JHB's response, I really didn't get the impression there was that much pressure, in fact I don't recall anyone even suggesting it.
    Prior to this I would have had Fallon as a dark horse candidate for PM - stolid, but not as grey as Hammond, and had a bit of a talent for being an attack dog without provoking the sort of instinctual dislike of regular attack dogs.
    Someone in the press must have something else on him - making a clumsy pass at a journalist 15 years ago really isn’t a resigning matter, especially when compared to allegations out there against others.
  • Options
    I'm a big believer in precedent, so I'm looking at junior ministers from the department that has responsibility for energy.

Jo Johnson or Richard Harrington then. Well I'd heard of one of them.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

A good night for the bookies?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    We need to get rid of anyone else in Cabinet who might have to fall on their sword. Now. What we can't have is an open-ended series of Cabinet reshuffles.
  • Options
    SeanT said:

Frankly, I'm more astonished by the poor woman claiming rape at Lambeth Palace. There are HETEROSEXUALS in the Church of England???

I haven't heard this. Do you have a source?
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    SeanT said:

Frankly, I'm more astonished by the poor woman claiming rape at Lambeth Palace. There are HETEROSEXUALS in the Church of England???

An act about power not sexuality.

Hadn't heard that story though.

(Yes, internet, I know it's inappropriate to joke about these things)
  • Options
    Well now Fallon has resigned, maybe he will go back to being a director of Nursery businesses - lets see
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Mind you she is actually PM which is more than can be said for Hague, IDS and Howard who he also served under when they were Tory leaders.
    He never served as a shadow minister under IDS and Howard.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    ydoethur said:

SeanT said:

On Channel 4 news.
  • Options
    I'll be interested to see who takes over at the MoD........to further the EU Military Union agenda, against the express will of the British people.
  • Options

We need to get rid of anyone else in Cabinet who might have to fall on their sword. Now. What we can't have is an open-ended series of Cabinet reshuffles.

Well sure, but if there isn't more emerging on Fallon, then the list of those to fall on swords could be very high, as the bar would have been set low.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

His wikipedia page has already gotten confused - Secretary of State for Defence from July 1901 - November 1934 seems wrong.

Considering there was no 'Secretary of State for Defence' until 1964 that seems unlikely on a number of levels!

(There was a Minister of Defence and a Secretary of State for War. The two were combined, along with the Admiralty and Air Ministry, after Profumo.)
  • Options
    edited November 2017

ydoethur said:

SeanT said:

On Channel 4 news.
    Ah. So in effect a 'no' then.

Edited because smiley seems on reflection inappropriate for subject.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

It does seem likely
    Hard to imagine he is resigning solely because he put his hand on a woman's' knee 15 years ago.
  • Options

Oh to be a fly on the wall if the PM asks the whips to open their little black books on the whole cabinet.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Considering there was no 'Secretary of State for Defence' until 1964 that seems unlikely on a number of levels!

(There was a Minister of Defence and a Secretary of State for War. The two were combined, along with the Admiralty and Air Ministry, after Profumo.)
    All better now, thank goodness.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,817
    edited November 2017
    Evening all :)

I'm genuinely surprised and like many I suspect my initial reaction was to wonder if there's more out there than simply the whole Hartley-Brewer knee interaction 15 years ago which, given Hartley-Brewer's reaction and details of far more serious matters now emerging seems relatively trivial.

It seems Fallon sets very high standards for himself as some representative of the Armed Forces which is laudable but a tad contrived. I don't know whether other Defence Secretaries have seen themselves in those terms.

It doesn't seem to be a wholly political act as there is no general reshuffle so it seems just curious.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

I'm fairly certain he was 33/1 a couple of months ago., so if anyone took those odds it might not be that profitable for them.

I remember the days when Boris was odds on to be next out.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I'm fairly certain he was 33/1 a couple of months ago., so if anyone took those odds it might not be that profitable for them.

Always lay Boris?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Well sure, but if there isn't more emerging on Fallon, then the list of those to fall on swords could be very high, as the bar would have been set low.
    Which rather suggests there must have been someting more lurking - or he would have been advised by the Whips to tough it out for that very reason.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I'm a big believer in precedent, so I'm looking at junior ministers from the department that has responsibility for energy.

Jo Johnson or Richard Harrington then. Well I'd heard of one of them.

Please no Richard Harrington. My local MP was in the DWP with him, and I joked with her that he would be the one who would be promoted to the cabinet, thanks to his business connections, and not her. I look forward to being proved correct on that score...............
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894
    edited November 2017
    Damn, I thought Adam Fox would be next out.

Edit: I mean Liam Werrity
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Has to be said as well, if anyone had suggested to me that a sex scandal would force Fallon out before Blow-job Bojo I'd have asked for some of whatever they were drinking.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,283

It does seem likely
    Hard to imagine he is resigning solely because he put his hand on a woman's' knee 15 years ago.
    Did he get wind of something else hitting the front pages in the morning.

Though there were quite a few -ve stories about MOD - sale of amphibious vessels, cuts to Marine numbers, cannibalisation of parts for subs and destroyers.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

Always lay Boris?
    Isn’t that why he was favourite to begin with?
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    Wasn't there a discussion about Profumo earlier? How apt on the day the Defence secretary resigns. Or did someone know something and was dropping subtle hints...!?
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

I'm genuinely surprised and like many I suspect my initial reaction was to wonder if there's more out there than simply the whole Hartley-Brewer knee interaction 15 years ago which, given Hartley-Brewer's reaction and details of far more serious matters now emerging seems relatively trivial.

It seems Fallon sets very high standards for himself as some representative of the Armed Forces which is laudable but a tad contrived. I don't know whether other Defence Secretaries have seen themselves in those terms.

It doesn't seem to be a wholly political act as there is no general reshuffle so it seems just curious.

What you see publicly with the Westminster village is like an iceberg. One eighth of it lies above the surface, as for the other seven eighths..................
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Alas, Liam continues to Fox things up with impunity. At any rate, for now.

Surely to goodness he won't be returned to Defence? Even Theresa May wouldn't be that dumb.

Would she?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

SeanT said:

On Channel 4 news.
    Ah. So in effect a 'no' then.

Edited because smiley seems on reflection inappropriate for subject.
    There was a good piece from Wolves 50 year on from "rivers of blood".
  • Options
    tpfkar said:

Wasn't there a discussion about Profumo earlier? How apt on the day the Defence secretary resigns. Or did someone know something and was dropping subtle hints...!?

Yup, I started it, and Miss CycleFree then piqued my curiosity.
  • Options

tpfkar said:

Yup, I started it, and Miss CycleFree then piqued my curiosity.
    Dear me, Mr Eagles...
  • Options
    The logical chain would be Mark Lancaster being promoted to defence, and Johnny Mercer being given a junior defence post.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Oh to be a fly on the wall if the PM asks the whips to open their little black books on the whole cabinet.
    Better still, send for their MI5 files. "You should always send for ministers' MI5 files if you enjoy a good laugh."
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

kle4 said:

Sec of State for War : So much less mealy mouthed in those far off days!
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Surely a promotion from within the department, not going to want a proper reshuffle now if she can avoid it.
    Mark Lancaster then?

Edit. Pulpstar beat me to it.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The logical chain would be Mark Lancaster being promoted to defence, and Johnny Mercer being given a junior defence post.

Playing it safe is probably a good strategy if this is not to be used to go full reshuffle.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Not in current times, from 2013.

'Cameron cutie' Caroline Dinenage dumps husband to date Tory MP Mark Lancaster who walked out on baby

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/caroline-dinenage-mark-lancaster-cameron-2011834
  • Options

tlg86 said:

One of the key things about betting is knowing when to stay out of a market. I'm glad I've stayed out of this one.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    SeanT said:

Ah, Brexit, the gift that keeps giving.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

Alas, Liam continues to Fox things up with impunity. At any rate, for now.

Surely to goodness he won't be returned to Defence? Even Theresa May wouldn't be that dumb.

Would she?
    I think the Tories aren't short of potential defence and related ministers - and surely a great opportunity to blood Eagles' favourite Johnny Mercer into a junior ministerial role.
  • Options
    If they need another junior Defence Minister my MP Andrew Murrison has been one, is a veteran, and is currently 'merely' a committee chair.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214
    Mrs May has been presented with the ideal opportunity for the required wide ranging Ministerial reshuffle, sweeping out the duds and promoting the younger talent. Sadly, she will probably flunk it.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    dr_spyn said:

It does seem likely
    Did he get wind of something else hitting the front pages in the morning.

Though there were quite a few -ve stories about MOD - sale of amphibious vessels, cuts to Marine numbers, cannibalisation of parts for subs and destroyers.
    I work for an organisation that has links to the MoD and I havent heard of any new issues recently - there are always stories about project overruns, cock-ups etc and everyone knows there is pressure on the budget but Fallon seemed quite well-regarded as S of S in most quarters.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

Which Corbyn would be lumbered with if he takes over anytime soon.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

What has this to do with Brexit
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    Defence secretary - New blood.

Time for Johnny Mercer ?
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    I touched my own knee in public. I feel thoroughly ashamed.
  • Options
    JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

Struggling to see the link between a fleeting hand on the knee 15 years ago - and Brexit.....
  • Options
    SeanT said:

I really don't give a toss who fucks who, who spanks who and where, who likes it up the Athens bypass with an aubergine. I also can't exercised by some minister putting his hand on an adult womans knee, FFS. Sex has to begin somewhere.

Rape and child abuse are clearly different, but all I see so far is tedious tittle-tattle. Politicians like sex, shock, politicians like kinky sex, shock, some are even gay, shock.

What is the story?

Yet to emerge, or it is non-existent and his leaving for this reason is a pretext.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

And make so much better job of.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Mrs May has been presented with the ideal opportunity for the required wide ranging Ministerial reshuffle, sweeping out the duds and promoting the younger talent. Sadly, she will probably flunk it.

Hear, hear.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Yes, I don’t remember any calls for Fallon to resign.

I remember that there a few people who thought Fallon could be PM. Personally, I was always unconvinced but not because I anticipated this happening! I doubted that Fallon, or indeed that any of the current cabinet members will be the best leader because there seems to be an obsession with this idea that the ‘new generation’ of Tories, will be the saviours of the Tory party.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    tlg86 said:

Sandpit said:

Better still, send for their MI5 files. "You should always send for ministers' MI5 files if you enjoy a good laugh."
    Assuming MI5 know about these things. Which seems a bold assumption for an organisation that appears to have overlooked Kim Philby for ten years.
  • Options
    Damn, I go to the gym and I lose my place among the tricoteuses.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

'Cameron cutie' Caroline Dinenage dumps husband to date Tory MP Mark Lancaster who walked out on baby

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/caroline-dinenage-mark-lancaster-cameron-2011834
    Baldwin or Ellwood then ?
  • Options
    calum said:
    Yeah, that adds up. And others may be less willing to move the heck on than Brewer. Particularly if it was last year or something.
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    edited November 2017
    SeanT said:

Probably not until summer 2022 though. This government could limp on and on and on Major style.

The DUP are sitting pretty - able to demand what they want for five years and want Brexit too so won't wish to scupper that. An opportunity they may never get again.

They would have zero clout in a Corbyn minority government needing SNP, LD, Caroline Lucas and Lady Hermon votes to get legislation through.

How about JRM for Defence - might quite suit his style!
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Jeez, is there anyone in politics who’s happily married and only shagging their wife?
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I touched my own knee in public. I feel thoroughly ashamed.

Never mind that: your knee touched your hand. It should resign.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

HYUFD said:

JonathanD said:

SeanT said:

And make so much better job of.
    If Corbyn agreed to £50 billion+ for a FTA, which he would have to and uncontrolled free movement for a 5 year transition period he would instantly put in play Labour Leavers who stuck with Labour last time because he promised to back Brexit and end free movement.

That would certainly be the case if the next Tory leader is a Leaver.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Jeez, is there anyone in politics who’s happily married and only shagging their wife?
    David Cameron.
  • Options
    calum said:
    Yep, I thought something like that would be the reason. One story he wouldn’t have to resign for, but several stories like JHB’s? No way would he survive that.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

SeanT said:

Probably not until summer 2022 though. This government could limp on and on and on Major style.

The DUP are sitting pretty - able to demand what they want for five years and want Brexit too so won't wish to scupper that. An opportunity they may never get again.

They would have zero clout in a Corbyn minority government needing SNP, LD, Caroline Lucas and Lady Hermon votes to get legislation through.

How about JRM for Defence - might quite suit his style!
    FIve years of extracting pork for NI.... They'll be heroes by then.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

David Cameron.
    Anyone 'in politics'.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

David Cameron.
    JRM and IDS and Hammond I would be more confident of, as well of course as May.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

Boris Johnson
  • Options
    If we get resignations and a reshuffle over all this harassment nonsense how can we have resignations and a reshuffle over Brexit policy when we move to Stage 2 Trade negotiations next year ?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,789
    calum said:
    You wouldn't think Sir Michael had it in him... :open_mouth:
  • Options
    brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    kle4 said:

Given his reasons for going, hopefully this will encourage more true accusations as people see there are consequences, even as there will no doubt be an increase in false accusations as well, since such is life.

Hopefully true but also sadly risk of false ones too - look at the Ted Heath investigation.

Some Hollywood actors are being exposed for alleged incidents from the mid 1980s - do they ever remember back that far to know if they did or not?
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Pulpstar said:

David Cameron.
    Who knows what goes on in that shepherd's hut....
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    edited November 2017
    SeanT said:

I really don't give a toss who fucks who, who spanks who and where, who likes it up the Athens bypass with an aubergine. I also can't get exercised by some minister putting his hand on an adult womans knee, FFS. Sex has to begin somewhere.

Rape and child abuse are clearly different, but all I see so far is tedious tittle-tattle. Politicians like sex, shock, politicians like kinky sex, shock, some are even gay, shock.

What is the story?

english middle class bollocks as ever

you can go to Rotherham and shag chavs until youre drained because they dont count

but if it's a bit of middle class clunge totally different

the english really are warped shits at times.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

There's no point doing it until she knows how many more ministers are going to be accused of "sex crimes" ?
  • Options
    This stuff will be the reason the EU will REALLY be laughing at us.

FFS, you call THAT a sex scandal?

• Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    SeanT said:

I really don't give a toss who fucks who, who spanks who and where, who likes it up the Athens bypass with an aubergine. I also can't get exercised by some minister putting his hand on an adult womans knee, FFS. Sex has to begin somewhere.

What is the story?

Indeed. It is also pretty certain that the amount and variety of sex going on at any one time is a constant. Look beneath the surface of straitlaced societies like the Victorians and you find post boy brothels and so on. So what we are seeing is a periodic fit of morality rather than an objective upsurge in misconduct.
  • Options
    brendan16 said:

kle4 said:

Hopefully true but also sadly risk of false ones too - look at the Ted Heath investigation.

Some Hollywood actors are being exposed for alleged incidents from the mid 1980s - do they ever remember back that far to know if they did or not?
    Oh there will undoubtedly be false accusations - things need to not get out of hand, as we do want the inappropriate to stop being inappropriate (I would think at that level apology would be sufficient) and the truly vile to be exposed, but the innocent will be tested. That's abundantly clear given people who have not committed even an indiscretion were included on the sex pest list apparently, for their sexual quirks or infidelity, when frankly that's nobody's business.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    SeanT said:

I'm not saying this is admirable, but we have lurched from total licentiousness to an absurd puritanism. Politicians and those in politics are human sexual beings. They will have sex. Sex is "naughty", and sounds salacious second hand. We need to grow up.

I suspect most of the public are with you... The "MSM" on the other hand...

Of which you are a part of course? ;)
This discussion has been closed.