Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bad for the Tories – good for the LDs: This week’s Local By-El

SystemSystem Posts: 11,015
edited November 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bad for the Tories – good for the LDs: This week’s Local By-Elections

Aldwick West on Arun (Con defence) Result: Con 480 (35% -17% on last time), Lab 112 (8%, no candidate last time), Lib Dem 719 (53% +35% on last time), Green 54 (4%, no candidate last time) (No UKIP candidate this time -30%) Liberal Democrat GAIN from Conservative with a majority of 239 (18%) on a swing of 26% from Con to Lib Dem

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    First
  • Options
    So is Lewis having the Whip suspended ? And if not why not after the previous two cases ? This is what happens when you reverse the presumption of innocence , abandon due process, conduct investigations in public and ask NGOs to undertake semi judicial investigations of private behaviour. This will run and run until we get bored.
  • Options

So is Lewis having the Whip suspended ? And if not why not after the previous two cases ? This is what happens when you reverse the presumption of innocence , abandon due process, conduct investigations in public and ask NGOs to undertake semi judicial investigations of private behaviour. This will run and run until we get bored.

I think this will just run and run sadly. There are no winners in all of this
  • Options

Can anyone recall how long the expenses scandal continued for
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2017

Weeks and weeks...and then it would be revisited from time to time for at least a year after. My fear is that like expenses really serious cases will get lumped together with stuff like inappropriate comments and all will be tarred and feathered.

People remember the duck house we didn’t pay for not the fake office we did.
  • Options

Weeks and weeks...and then it would be revisited from time to time for at least a year after. My fear is that like expenses really serious cases will get lumped together with stuff like inappropriate comments and all will be tarred and feathered.
    Suggestions in the telegraph podcast upto 12 MPs will fall
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

Since I remember the former and not the latter, you are probably right!

Fall how? Lose ministerial/shadow ministerial posts? Be forced to resign as MPs?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Fall how? Lose ministerial/shadow ministerial posts? Be forced to resign as MPs?
    Denis macshane went to prison over his fake office but I would wager less than 5% have any recollection of it.
  • Options

Yes, that's absolutely right. I started work in 2009 and was very busy so didn't have too much time for following politics. But what I took from it was that it hurt the Tories more because of the imagery of the duck house.

John Pienaar said tonight that he thinks this scandal is bigger. I disagree. I think it's mostly Westminster obsessives gossiping about people they know.
  • Options

Ultimately, the voters should win.
    Westminster needs to stop believing that it is a special case, and not subject to the same rules, laws and discipline that the rest of the public are. I accept that it isn't all MPs behaving inappropriately (what a joke that is, grown men on at least 75 grand a year plus expenses, having to have a Code of Conduct on how to behave!), but there seems to be a substantial minority that treat it like a boy's club. Trump wanted to drain the swamp, perhaps we should knock parliament into the Thames and start again.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2017
    tlg86 said:

Yes, that's absolutely right. I started work in 2009 and was very busy so didn't have too much time for following politics. But what I took from it was that it hurt the Tories more because of the imagery of the duck house.

John Pienaar said tonight that he thinks this scandal is bigger. I disagree. I think it's mostly Westminster obsessives gossiping about people they know.
    I mean it does really depend. I doubt most people outside of the Westminster bubble care about Fallon’s off colour joke or even Lewis alleged bottom pinch...rightly or wrongly in most towns it is a standard Saturday night out, and a pretty tame one at that.

If there have been stuff like rape covered up, now that is explosive.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Telegraph says fall so not sure
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2017
    Clive Lewis now facing allegations according to Sky News.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I mean it does really depend. I doubt most people outside of the Westminster bubble care about Fallon’s off colour joke or even Lewis alleged bottom pinch...rightly or wrongly in most towns it is a standard Saturday night out.

If Lewis pinched my wife's arse, he'd be getting her size 3 stiletto straight in his balls. Would it not bother you if it was your wife or daughter getting pawed by these tossers?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

Independents will soon have a majority in the House!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    Surely Lewis must be suspended.

Obviously Con must be careful not to look as if playing party politics but would have thought mileage in attacking Corbyn for appointing Hopkins.

If Corbyn knew about Hopkins allegations then surely couldn't be right for him to then appoint Hopkins to Shadow Cabinet.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I mean it does really depend. I doubt most people outside of the Westminster bubble care about Fallon’s off colour joke or even Lewis alleged bottom pinch...rightly or wrongly in most towns it is a standard Saturday night out, and a pretty tame one at that.

But due to the seriousness of that allegation, we've heard a lot less about it. Unless there was clear evidence that pressure was applied by the Labour Party, it probably wouldn't register. It's not like anyone from the Labour Party is going to be put on trial for telling her not to go to the police.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Dover is winnable for labour
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I mean it does really depend. I doubt most people outside of the Westminster bubble care about Fallon’s off colour joke or even Lewis alleged bottom pinch...rightly or wrongly in most towns it is a standard Saturday night out.

If Lewis pinched my wife's arse, he'd be getting her size 3 stiletto straight in his balls. Would it not bother you if it was your wife or daughter getting pawed by these tossers?
    Mrs uqurhart can handle herself. I am not excusing it, I am saying that I don’t think people see it as anything different from the sort of stuff that goes on in a spoons on a Saturday night in doncaster. It isn’t something alien to hear somebody make a sexist joke.

Expenses was explosive because it was a wtf these people claim for duck houses when I can’t even afford a house.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Pong said:

I think you don't really get the way the justice system works do you?
  • Options
    I doubt Con would hold Elphicke's Dover seat in a by-election.

2017 GE:

Con 52
    Lab 40
  • Options
    One thing is also worth mentioning it wasn’t that long ago we had the trial of Nigel Evans, who of course was found innocent.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

tlg86 said:

As Jess Phillips said about Birmingham...
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2017
    felix said:

Pong said:

I think you don't really get the point of this site do you?
  • Options

One thing is also worth mentioning it wasn’t that long ago we had the trial of Nigel Evans, who of course was found innocent.

Indeed, that hasn't been mentioned at all during this and it should.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @MrHarryCole: Pal of Elphicke tells me he insists he has done nothing wrong. I get feeling the new chief whip is a bit more stick than sharpened carrot.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Mrs uqurhart can handle herself. I am not excusing it, I am saying that I don’t think people see it as anything different from the sort of stuff that goes on in a spoons on a Saturday night in doncaster. It isn’t something alien to hear somebody make a sexist joke.

Expenses was explosive because it was a wtf these people claim for duck houses when I can’t even afford a house.
    To be honest, if some MPs are too thick to have learned the lesson from the expenses scandal, then they deserve all they get. On the other hand, I expect the people we elect to Parliament to behave a little bit better than a pissed up lad on a night out on the town.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,272
    edited November 2017
    This could be heading for a GE and if so I would expect Brexit to fail

And you heard it here first
  • Options
    Blimey....
  • Options

Blimey....

Think that may be the word of the weekend.

Just unbelievable
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Why should it be mentioned?
    Some people will be accused and will be totally innocent of all charges, sadly their reputation will probably still be tarnished. That shouldn't allow us to let any tosspot MP who can't keep his hands to himself- or worse- to try and get off the hook. MPs are all under a cloud due to the actions of many of their number over decades.
    Parliament absolutely needs to be modernised.
  • Options

I called it first.

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/926363322949210112
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256

Maybe there is a God after all ......

:)
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Some people will be accused and will be totally innocent of all charges, sadly their reputation will probably still be tarnished. That shouldn't allow us to let any tosspot MP who can't keep his hands to himself- or worse- to try and get off the hook. MPs are all under a cloud due to the actions of many of their number over decades.
    Modernising institutions is not a cure all for this. This runs through all society and not just in the UK
  • Options

Maybe there is a God after all ......

:)
    There always has been a God
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,272
    edited November 2017

I called it first.

Bow to your earlier observation TSE but second then but not accepting PM Corbyn as a given
  • Options

There always has been a God

It just didn't feel like it.

But now most people have voted for him to exist, it's all good...
  • Options

Blimey....

Just unbelievable
    I’m beginning to think like yourself that this could lead to a GE.

The Tories have done the right thing in the circumstances though, re the Elphicke allegation.
  • Options
    Spare a thought for David Herdson.

Things happening on Friday nights doesn't help him write his Saturday morning thread.

IDS is in a particular circle of hell for resigning at 9pm on a Friday night
  • Options

tlg86 said:

To be honest, if some MPs are too thick to have learned the lesson from the expenses scandal, then they deserve all they get. On the other hand, I expect the people we elect to Parliament to behave a little bit better than a pissed up lad on a night out on the town.
    I have a pretty low opinion of mps in general, there are plenty of thickies among their ranks.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2017

Are the voters in posh places like Warwick & Leamington really going to vote for Corbyn (and McDonnell) when he has a chance of actually becoming PM? Last time no-one thought he had a chance, including most Labour canvassers.
  • Options
    Pong said:

felix said:

Pong said:

Once you go bold it really hurts me :)
  • Options

Blimey....

Just unbelievable

The Tories have done the right thing in the circumstances though, re the Elphicke allegation.
    We need a Government of national unity
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    felix said:

Pong said:

felix said:

Pong said:

Once you go bold it really hurts me :)
    At least it wasn’t bold and italic. :o
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I've sent you a PM.
  • Options
    I think we need to get rid of all the bullshit in Westminster, and I say this as a monarchist and lover of all the pomp and ceremony and traditions that that entails.
    Parliament needs to be purely a place for lawmaking and government. Forget the billions needed to refurb the place, our MPs don't deserve it. Give them a purpose built building without the bars and listed architecture, they don't need it. Have a Premier Inn standard accommodation block next to it. Turn Westminster into something for the nation to enjoy and let the politicians get on with what we pay them to do.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Are the voters in posh places like Warwick & Leamington really going to vote for Corbyn and McDonnell when he has a chance of actually becoming PM? Last time no-one thought he had a chance, including most Labour canvassers.
    I am not buying PM Corbyn at this stage. Everything is too unstable to be sure of anything
  • Options
    Re a GE, need to bear in mind how long it takes for cases to come to Court.

Even if people are charged, delay until gets to Court, then MP must be convicted, then Govt must lose by-election (which itself could be delayed 6 months).

Seems extremely unlikely Govt would lose its majority within next 18 months, and still highly unlikely within 24 months.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    edited November 2017
    AndyJS said:

Are the voters in posh places like Warwick & Leamington really going to vote for Corbyn (and McDonnell) when he has a chance of actually becoming PM? Last time no-one thought he had a chance, including most Labour canvassers.
    No dementia tax this time round.

Phil is going to have to come up with some middle class goodies in the budget now mind ! Return of MIRAS 8)
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    Corbyn on Celebrity Gogglebox on C4 now
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    MikeL said:

Even if people are charged, delay until gets to Court, then MP must be convicted, then Govt must lose by-election (which itself could be delayed 6 months).

Seems extremely unlikely Govt would lose its majority within next 18 months, and still highly unlikely within 24 months.

Thanet South & Dover in the pipeline it looks like for the moment.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Mirror front page leading with story about a jockey not a politician.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/926562121013448711
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Corbyn on Celebrity Gogglebox on C4 now

and time to turn the channel over....
  • Options

Blimey....

Just unbelievable

The whole point of the past few months has been to demonstrate that the country is divided down the middle and we have a polarisation of two extremes holding all of the seats. We may need it but a government of national unity is not very likely.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

And of course there maybe labour or other parties involved in by elections.

What all this is doing for future investment in the Country heaven only knows
  • Options
    The briefing against Brandon Lewis looks bad.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Yes, given it was mainly students and academics from Warwick University who won the seat for Labour last time. (I was once chairman of the Tory Association there and stood as a Tory council candidate in Leamington but the student vote was turning the seat Labour either then, only Warwick kept the Tories in the game).
  • Options

Blimey....

Just unbelievable

Or maybe just a government?

What is the collective noun for a bunch of misfits?
  • Options
    felix said:

The whole point of the past few months has been to demonstrate that the country is divided down the middle and we have a polarisation of two extremes holding all of the seats. We may need it but a government of national unity is not very likely.

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/926529983056695297
  • Options
    If MPs could avoid being suspended this evening, it would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options

Blimey....

Just unbelievable

Actually 2 nouns : Liberal Democrat.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937

I think we need to get rid of all the bullshit in Westminster, and I say this as a monarchist and lover of all the pomp and ceremony and traditions that that entails.
    Parliament needs to be purely a place for lawmaking and government. Forget the billions needed to refurb the place, our MPs don't deserve it. Give them a purpose built building without the bars and listed architecture, they don't need it. Have a Premier Inn standard accommodation block next to it. Turn Westminster into something for the nation to enjoy and let the politicians get on with what we pay them to do.

Firstly, being an MP is not an ordinary job. An 'ordinary' job, even at the pay a backbencher gets, does not involve the public pressure and attention that being an MP gets (see recent events), and involves two very different workplaces, often widely distributed: Westminster and the constituency.

Secondly, it can be argued that MPs do get on and do what we pay them to do. The country works. Yes, it could be better (if only we could agree on what 'better' meant), but neither are we a failure.

Finally, does any major country have a political system and politicians that work in your eyes?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    Bloody hell, go out for a couple of beers and all of a sudden there’s two new named MPs in trouble. Sunday could well be a bloodbath.
  • Options
    david_herdsondavid_herdson Posts: 17,419
    edited November 2017

Blimey....

Just unbelievable

Bunch.
  • Options

Firstly, being an MP is not an ordinary job. An 'ordinary' job, even at the pay a backbencher gets, does not involve the public pressure and attention that being an MP gets (see recent events), and involves two very different workplaces, often widely distributed: Westminster and the constituency.

Secondly, it can be argued that MPs do get on and do what we pay them to do. The country works. Yes, it could be better (if only we could agree on what 'better' meant), but neither are we a failure.

Finally, does any major country have a political system and politicians that work in your eyes?
    +1
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Bloody hell, go out for a couple of beers and all of a sudden there’s two new named MPs in trouble. Sunday could well be a bloodbath.

HM rule by decree? Must be a better option than this lot... :D
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,937
    edited November 2017
    dr_spyn said:

Mirror front page leading with story about a jockey not a politician.

http s://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/926562121013448711

It should be noted that there have been rumours and allegations of dubious events around women (often young girls) in motorsport, particularly at junior levels.
  • Options
    felix said:

Blimey....

Just unbelievable

I know and agree
  • Options

If MPs could avoid being suspended this evening, it would be greatly appreciated.

Could be worse, you could be writing Sunday morning's thread.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

No.

The Court of Public Opinion does not worry too much about accuracy or conviction
  • Options

AV is a good topic regardless of the current crisis. :p
  • Options

I called it first.

No, given there are plenty of allegations about Labour MPs too, Hopkins, Lewis etc.
    Plus of course 35% of 2015 Labour voters voted Leave and 20% of 2015 UKIP voters voted for Corbyn, he is not going to reverse Brexit and risk breaking his June coalition, he knows most Remainers will vote for him anyway given the alternative is the Brexit backing Tories.

He is also still committed to taking the UK out of the single market and ending free movement, he just will support a slightly longer transition period than the Tories would until any FTA is signed.
  • Options
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,803
    edited November 2017
    It's really not out of the question that CON could lose enough MP's over this sex scandal to make losing a no confidence vote a real possibility and force a general election next year?
  • Options

MikeL said:

No.

The Court of Public Opinion does not worry too much about accuracy or conviction
    Fortunately the rule of law does.
  • Options

Spare a thought for David Herdson.

Things happening on Friday nights doesn't help him write his Saturday morning thread.

IDS is in a particular circle of hell for resigning at 9pm on a Friday night

Nah, I shall always be grateful to IDS. I called that resignation right while all the MSM commentators were wiffling about Europe (which isn't to deny that there wasn't a European element but it wasn't first and foremost).

However, I'm halfway through tomorrow's piece and it'll need something bigger than that which has already happened to happen for me to start again.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

felix said:

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/926529983056695297
    You can still have access to the single market with a FTA and end free movement and replace it with a points system, you are just not members of the single market.
  • Options
    RobD said:

My piece opens with a line about bikinis.
  • Options

Blimey....

Just unbelievable

Bunch.
    So it is not a "Parliament" then? ;)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The Telegraph were expecting 12 MP's to fall, the way we are going this weekend could see the figure exceeded.
  • Options

RobD said:

I'm not atoll sure about that?
  • Options

RobD said:

Are your bikinis as bright as your suits and shirts?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    edited November 2017
    Whatever the allegations and whatever their merits, tweets like this do not inspire confidence in the ability of the newly anointed Chief Whip:

https://twitter.com/CharlieElphicke/status/926564093913391106
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859
    How can you be suspended for something that’s reported as having been referred to the police, yet not be aware of the nature of the allegation?
  • Options

Blimey....

Just unbelievable

Bunch.
    So it is not a "Parliament" then? ;)
    Only if they're misfitted owls.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

It's really not out of the question that CON could lose enough MP's over this sex scandal to make losing a no confidence vote a real possibility and force a general election next year?

Anything is possible - as I have said before I do not bet but surely there must be lots of betting opportunities in all this
  • Options
    felix said:

MikeL said:

No.

Fortunately the rule of law does.
    Election law does not concern itself with voters' opinions. If an election is held then the Court of Public Opinion is the one parties need to worry about.

The expenses scandal tarnished the reputation of all MPs, yet only a handful were convicted of anything
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    Scott_P said:
    Somewhat more serious than the, denied, lewd comments to Leadsome allegation.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

RobD said:

I'm not atoll sure about that?
    I'm sure he'll coral the information in the rest of the piece.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

How can you be suspended for something that’s reported as having been referred to the police, yet not be aware of the nature of the allegation?
    Complaint is raised to the Tory party.

Tory Party pass it on to the police.

Police yet to contact Mr Elphicke.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    A person recently in the headlines is turning out to be a serial groper.

• Options

RobD said:

Are your bikinis as bright as your suits and shirts?
    My suits and shirts are very sober.
This discussion has been closed.