Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Leadsom, Williamson and Tugendhat move into the frame in the T

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited November 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Leadsom, Williamson and Tugendhat move into the frame in the TMay successor betting

Betdata.io

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    edited November 2017
    First! Unlike Davis, Boris or Liam.

And way, way ahead of JRM...
  • Options
    2nd, like JRM
  • Options

2nd, like JRM

He is so over-rated :D:D
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,995
    If May goes before Brexit it will be Davis, if after Brexit Williamson and Boris also enter the fray.

If the Tories go into opposition JRM and Patel are contenders as well.
  • Options
    There feels like there is a stench of death and decay around Theresa May. This is a zombie government expected to tackle the most difficult issue in generations and survive 4.5 more years.

Halloween is over now, lets move on from zombies.
  • Options
    The Tories cannot have a leader called "Tugendhat". With a name like that he must be a Foreign Gentleman and deported post-Brexit.
  • Options

There feels like there is a stench of death and decay around Theresa May. This is a zombie government expected to tackle the most difficult issue in generations and survive 4.5 more years.

It is quite incredible how the Tories have self-destructed in a matter of months.

We wont get it, but I think we need an election to move on from this utter omni-shambles.
  • Options

It is quite incredible how the Tories have self-destructed in a matter of months.

In retrospect, I think this has been coming for years. It has just been a long slow build-up.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,612
    Interesting to note that the Chancellor of the Exchequer doesn't feature at all. Normally you would expect to see the holder of that office in the top three in the betting.

As a Labourite I am grateful that Ruthie isn't eligible.
  • Options

In retrospect, I think this has been coming for years. It has just been a long slow build-up.
    How many Cabinet ministers will have gone by Monday lunchtime I wonder.
  • Options

The Tories cannot have a leader called "Tugendhat". With a name like that he must be a Foreign Gentleman and deported post-Brexit.

Isn't that just a daft anagram of his real name?
  • Options
    Leadsome is 16 to be next leader. 16? I cannot get my head around that. She's had one outing and it was a disaster and she pulled out after about two days. There seems to be a general feeling that she would have been sacked soon for being crap.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836
    edited November 2017

We wont get it, but I think we need an election to move on from this utter omni-shambles.
    The odd thing is, a government with 318 seats, with 10 allies, and a divided opposition, shouldn't find it too difficult to govern, but it needs a sense of purpose. The Tories managed it in 1951 (with support from 9 Ulster Unionists) and Labour did in 1964.
  • Options
    Oh to be a fly in one of the newspaper newsrooms this evening.
  • Options
    MetatronMetatron Posts: 193
    Are people not overrating Ruth Davidson?
    She is an opposition leader to an SNP govt that has been in power for ages and is vulnerable to charges over incompetence in education and energy policy combined with a nanny state altitude and Scotland has little economic growth
    If Ruth Davidson was in power in Scotland or the PM not a given her reputation would stand up.
  • Options

We need a PM who actually wants the job.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

We need a PM who actually wants the job.
    Yep. This situation is unsustainable. How can we negotiate Brexit when the PM is so broken.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

The odd thing is, a government with 318 seats, with 10 allies, and a divided opposition, shouldn't find it too difficult to govern, but it needs a sense of purpose. The Tories managed it in 1951 (with support from 9 Ulster Unionists) and Labour did in 1964.
    It needs strong leadership and good whipping.

I think the latter is probably as good as it could be expected to be; it's the former that's the problem.
  • Options
    Metatron said:

She is an opposition leader to an SNP govt that has been in power for ages and is vulnerable to charges over incompetence in education and energy policy combined with a nanny state altitude and Scotland has little economic growth
    If Ruth Davidson was in power in Scotland or the PM not a given her reputation would stand up.

Ruthie has taken the Scottish Tories from third place no-hopers to the main opposition. She made big gains at the GE that kept the Tories in power and Tezzie in Downing St. Not a bad record.
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, may be misremembering, but didn't the whipping operation work rather well in extinguishing Shapps' attempted conflagration?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

I think the latter is probably as good as it could be expected to be; it's the former that's the problem.
    Compare Theresa May to Arlene Foster, who also had an unexpectedly bad election result in March, but the latter is a tough as an old boot, hung on in there, and led her party to success three months later.
  • Options
    On topic, this market tells me no-one really has a clue who is likely to succeed Theresa May and, further, no-one knows whose reputation might be next in line to be ruined.

Great betting opportunity, if you get it right.

FWIW, I think Esther McVey is a good price at 100/1 with Skybet. I've had a taste.
  • Options
    Metatron said:

No they are not.
  • Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    I still cant get my head around JRM as 2nd favourite...
    I think Amber Rudd might be value.
  • Options

On topic, this market tells me no-one really has a clue who is likely to succeed Theresa May and, further, no-one knows whose reputation might be next in line to be ruined.

FWIW, I think Esther McVey is a good price at 100/1 with Skybet. I've had a taste.

I agree. I'm on McVey at 80.
  • Options
    FenmanFenman Posts: 1,047

I agree. I'm on McVey at 80.
    Jeremy Corbyn?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    Metatron said:

Possibly - the next Scottish Parliament elections should be the proof, or not, or her quality.
  • Options
    It all comes back to the May Paradox. Everybody knows she's finished after June's fiasco including in fairness herself. The question is does she still have a use. It's precisely because that she is finished that letting her take the fall and deliver Brexit is good resource management. But that supposes she is both finished and yet strong enough to deliver Brexit. The equilibrium that's breaking down is about May be weak in a Goldilocks sort of way. Weak enough to have have to go before 2022 but still strong enough to deliver what europhobes want.

This would all apply in reverse. If she was recovering enough to perhaps get through to 2022 that perversely might have provoked a challenge. Equally europhobes now have to decide whether to roll the dice. There is now the small but significant possibility that May takes down Brexit with her. Of course a leadership election runs all sorts of other risks for europhobes but that politics. But May's Goldilocks weakness is cooling down and the equilibrium that goes with it.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    FPT:
    Sandpit said:

dixiedean said:

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

dixiedean said:

Jesus. Any Answers is eye-opening re: sexual harassment. Feminism, make-up and women with no backbone blamed in the first 5 minutes...
    Edit: Now wolf-whistling makes women feel good. It only stops because they are old.

What about FGM, forced marriages, etc?
    And the ‘Rotherham’ problem.
    Again. What aboout it?
    Why a politician touching a journalist’s knee is headline news, but systematic rape of thousands of vulnerable young people in what we call ‘care’ is being ignored in all of the discussions about abuse.
    The media is - almost in its entirety - "for profit".

Look at the success of Hello, OK, E!, MailOnline's sidebar of shame and a million other sites, channels and newspapers.

What sells is stories about people of (even vague) renown. No-one wants stories about rape in Rotherham, starvation in Sierra Leone, corruption in Korea or any one of a million other "hard" news stories. They want to hear that an MP or (even better) an actor or producer behaved inappropriately.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203

The Villa Tugendhat is in Brno, Czech Republic. Like most things in that country, it is rather fab. A classic of early modernism.

https://www.archdaily.com/157555/ad-classics-villa-tugendhat-mies-van-der-rohe

• Options
    The sooner TMay goes the more it has to be an older, established name. If she can hand on a year or two, someone else has a chance.
  • Options
    @Copper_Sulphate I said nothing of the sort. Though your reference to " Muslim rape gangs " suggests you may not be an impartial observer.
  • Options

Metatron said:

No they are not.
    I think they are, she has the whiff of desperate Tories projecting all their hopes on her.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

Isn't that just a daft anagram of his real name?
    Mutated thong?
  • Options

Metatron said:

No they are not.
    I think they are, she has the whiff of desperate Tories projecting all their hopes on her.
    Worked for Corbyn.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Metatron said:

No they are not.
    Worked for Corbyn.
    To a point.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2017

Metatron said:

No they are not.
    Not at all. She's exactly the kind of leader we need: articulate, inspiring, passionate, modern, politically astute, and free of the unfortunate baggage most of the Cabinet has picked up.

Of course there are the minor inconveniences that she might not want the job, and is not in a position to get it, but you can't have everything!
  • Options

kle4 said:

Metatron said:

No they are not.
    Worked for Corbyn.
    To a point.
    To the point he is the most likely next PM if there is an election, so pretty well.
  • Options

Metatron said:

No they are not.
    I get that she had a good war during the last GE, but would that transfer to being a good PM?
  • Options

Mr. Royale, may be misremembering, but didn't the whipping operation work rather well in extinguishing Shapps' attempted conflagration?

It did, and I also think social media tools like WhatsApp make it harder for Tory MPs to plot these days.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,115
    Metatron said:

If Ruth Davidson was in power in Scotland, then Hell would have frozen over....
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Compare Theresa May to Arlene Foster, who also had an unexpectedly bad election result in March, but the latter is a tough as an old boot, hung on in there, and led her party to success three months later.
    Well, quite. I think Theresa May can only be an effective PM on her own terms, which she doesn't have the luxury of any longer.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2017
    "Roundheads have routed the randy old fools — Janice Turner

We are entering a new age of Puritanism where even minor indiscretions by ageing dinosaurs will not be tolerated"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/roundheads-have-routed-the-randy-old-fools-7q5dzfts6
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Metatron said:

No they are not.
    I get that she had a good war during the last GE, but would that transfer to being a good PM?
    There is no way to know. The only test we give prospective PMs is their campaigning ability in an election and party management beforehand. She technically has more experience of both than most of the other candidates, but neither are actually evidence someone definitely will be a good PM.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

We are entering a new age of Puritanism where even minor indiscretions by ageing dinosaurs will not be tolerated"

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/roundheads-have-routed-the-randy-old-fools-7q5dzfts6

Perhaps, but moral panics have a tendency to provoke a reaction in the other direction.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    edited November 2017
    Mr. Royale, as a reasonably Luddite type, I do wonder why people commit so much to technology.

Meanwhile, in the Middle East: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-41872995

Edited extra bit: explosion around Riyadh airport, possibly due to an intercepted missile from Yemen.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    Emily Thornberry on Westminster sex allegations: "We in the Labour Party hold ourselves to a higher standard".
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    marke09 said:

Emily Thornberry on Westminster sex allegations: "We in the Labour Party hold ourselves to a higher standard".

guffaw

yeah right
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,896

Meanwhile, in the Middle East: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-41872995

Edited extra bit: explosion around Riyadh airport, possibly due to an intercepted missile from Yemen.

Err, that’s a little too close to home... :open_mouth:
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2017

Mr. Royale, as a reasonably Luddite type, I do wonder why people commit so much to technology.

odd.

Missile fired from Yemen, 500 miles away?
  • Options

Metatron said:

No they are not.
    It's always entertaining to ask the fanbois which of Ruth's policies are their favourites.

No to a second referendum...er...
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    marke09 said:

While the Tories are only good at covering up knee touching, Labour can cover up a rape or two. A much higher standard.
  • Options
    Mr. Pong, distance is entirely possible, the problem would be the equipment necessary to do it, *if* that is what happened.

Mr. Sandpit, one hopes the situation where you are stays calm.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Sandpit said:

marke09 said:

While the Tories are only good at covering up knee touching, Labour can cover up a rape or two. A much higher standard.
    I wonder on the size of shroud to cover the political corpse of Boris?
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    marke09 said:

Then why is McDonnell still on the Front Bench? Calling for a lynching of a female MP is hardly a higher standard.

The violence at the heart of some in the Labour leadership is beyond the pale.
  • Options
    marke09 said:

I assume she's joking.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Mr. Pong, distance is entirely possible, the problem would be the equipment necessary to do it, *if* that is what happened.

Mr. Sandpit, one hopes the situation where you are stays calm.

Me too!!!

Dubai’s about the same distance as Riyadh from Yemen, the UAE are fighting with the Saudis against the Yemeni rebels, I live five miles from an air base here and no-one thought the Yemeni rebels had proper missiles!

(Gets another glass of wine and some more popcorn, and awaits the fun in the British newspapers instead)
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,586

Metatron said:

No they are not.
    It's always entertaining to ask the fanbois which of Ruth's policies are their favourites.

No to a second referendum...er...
    It's a point, but hardly a conclusive one.
    What the Tories have is a serious leadership deficit - it would be a gamble, but persisting with the current leader isn't even a gamble.

• Options
    marke09 said:

I'm guessing that's an aspiration rather than a statement of fact ?
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    edited November 2017

Metatron said:

If Ruth Davidson was in power in Scotland, then Hell would have frozen over....
    It amuses me that so many believe Ruthie is the potential saviour of the Tories. What they don't realise is that she is not popular as she would like everyone to believe, particularly within the Scottish Tories.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

It all comes back to the May Paradox. Everybody knows she's finished after June's fiasco including in fairness herself. The question is does she still have a use. It's precisely because that she is finished that letting her take the fall and deliver Brexit is good resource management. But that supposes she is both finished and yet strong enough to deliver Brexit. The equilibrium that's breaking down is about May be weak in a Goldilocks sort of way. Weak enough to have have to go before 2022 but still strong enough to deliver what europhobes want.

This would all apply in reverse. If she was recovering enough to perhaps get through to 2022 that perversely might have provoked a challenge. Equally europhobes now have to decide whether to roll the dice. There is now the small but significant possibility that May takes down Brexit with her. Of course a leadership election runs all sorts of other risks for europhobes but that politics. But May's Goldilocks weakness is cooling down and the equilibrium that goes with it.

May cannot control her own troops, let alone take a fight to the enemy.

Surely a leadership contest couldn't be any worse than the current drift and chaos?
  • Options
    marke09 said:

Hi Emily, what would this lady think of your higher standard?
    https://twitter.com/bexbailey/status/925726372730949632
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2017
    Saudi Arabia: Loud explosion heard near Riyadh airport

A loud explosion has been heard near Riyadh's airport, with unconfirmed reports saying Saudi Arabia intercepted a ballistic missile from Yemen.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-41872995
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited November 2017
    Re that Janice Turner piece: why should minor indiscretions be 'tolerated'? If someone does something I don't like, I'll let them know.
    Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

Perhaps, but moral panics have a tendency to provoke a reaction in the other direction.
    We are already getting a reaction from the usual suspects: Douglas Murray, most likely Brendan O'Neil. But the reality is much of this is a reaction to the election of Trump, the revelation of alleged sexual harassment at FOX, and now Weinstein. This is the 'backlash' against recent examples of men appearing to 'get away' with sexual harassment and worse. Also, this is not a 'moral panic'; it involves low-level cases of alleged harassment ranging all the way up to alleged rape. That cannot be simply dismissed as everyone getting wound up over 'nothing'.

Right wingers have already had their 'backlash' with Brexit, with Trump, with all the right-leaning to far right parties being elected across Europe. Now, this is the backlash to that socially conservative worldview.

As Krishnan Guru-Murthy‏ has said:
    https://twitter.com/krishgm/status/926236543622230017
    The dressing up of this as 'puritan' is also ridiculous. You don't have to be a 'puritan' to not expect men to be touching up your leg, groping you, or rubbing up against you, or to go to work and not have to hear sexually inappropriate comments. That's not 'puritan'; that's just about decency and respect. It reminds me of the DM comments section insisting in one article that anyone who objected to being pinched or slapped on the bum, was clearly fragile and oversensitive, instead of that behaviour being wrong.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2017
    Yemen's Houthi fire missile at Saudi Arabia's Riyadh

Yemen's Houthi rebels have claimed responsibility for an explosion in Riyadh, saying they fired a long-range ballistic missile that travelled 500km over the border with Saudi Arabia.

A spokesman for the rebels told Al Jazeera they launched a Burkan 2-H missile towards Riyadh late on Saturday.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/11/yemen-houthi-fire-missile-saudi-arabia-riyadh-171104180946302.html
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Scott_P said:
    Tough one for the journos to spell!

As an aside- you get a lot of stick for your posting of tweets - but you are impressively fast with news and I find many of them quite interesting. It saves me having to bother with Twitter! So thanks.
  • Options
    On a lighter note, I'm quite enjoying The Alexiad. Anna Komnene's sense of personality comes through rather well (on one occasion she described a man behaving as a demi-god treating another like a demi-ass).
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Scott_P said:
    Tough one for the journos to spell!

As an aside- you get a lot of stick for your posting of tweets - but you are impressively fast with news and I find many of them quite interesting. It saves me having to bother with Twitter! So thanks.
    I'd also like to thank Scott_P for his twitter posts. I've always found them useful and informative.
  • Options
    Are there any politicians who have gone through their careers without having upset anyone? I very much doubt it.
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, hmm. Aren't those rebels supplied (or at least supported) by Iran?

If they're firing directly on Saudi Arabia, I wonder if there's a chance of the Saudis arming groups that wouldn't mind attacking Iran itself.

• Options
    edited November 2017

Re that Janice Turner piece: why should minor indiscretions be 'tolerated'? If someone does something I don't like, I'll let them know.

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

We are already getting a reaction from the usual suspects: Douglas Murray, most likely Brendan O'Neil. But the reality is much of this is a reaction to the election of Trump, the revelation of alleged sexual harassment at FOX, and now Weinstein. This is the 'backlash' against recent examples of men appearing to 'get away' with sexual harassment and worse. Also, this is not a 'moral panic'; it involves low-level cases of alleged harassment ranging all the way up to alleged rape. That cannot be simply dismissed as everyone getting wound up over 'nothing'.

Right wingers have already had their 'backlash' with Brexit, with Trump, with all the right-leaning to far right parties being elected across Europe. Now, this is the backlash to that socially conservative worldview.

The dressing up of this as 'puritan' is also ridiculous. You don't have to be a 'puritan' to not expect men to be touching up your leg, groping you, or rubbing up against you, or to go to work and not have to hear sexually inappropriate comments. That's not 'puritan'; that's just about decency and respect. It reminds me of the DM comments section insisting in one article that anyone who objected to being pinched or slapped on the bum, was clearly fragile and oversensitive, instead of that behaviour being wrong.
    A moral panic usually has some basis in fact. There are politicians whose behaviour has been seriously abusive. But, that doesn't alter the fact that some complaints are trivial or malicious. In the same way that child abuse is a reality, but some allegations of it are trivial or malicious. That seems to be pretty much the point that Janice Turner is making.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710

The greater paradox is that Leavers require Brexit to be a success but only Remainers can deliver it*

* Success in relative terms. Brexit "success" will be worse than what we had before, but people accept it. Remainers who expected the worst might be agreeably surprised, but Leavers would have to accept that Leave made things worse and they were operating off a false premise in the referendum.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

I have to say I was really shocked by the #metoo campaign on Facebook where basically all of my female friends have been harassed/worse - as well as a much smaller number of male friends.

It feels to me as if that campaign has been very successful at provoking a discussion as well as claiming a few scalps.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

A moral panic usually has some basis in fact. There are politicians whose behaviour has been seriously abusive. But, that doesn't alter the fact that some complaints are trivial or malicious. In the same way that child abuse is a reality, but some allegations of it are trivial or malicious. That seems to be pretty much the point that Janice Turner is making.
    Out of all the cases, there's only one that I'd say could be said to be 'trivial', and even then it still raised important questions, and arguably is illuminative of the kind of environment which facilitates the more darker behaviour.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,060
    edited November 2017
    FF43 said:

The greater paradox is that Leavers require Brexit to be a success but only Remainers can deliver it
    I think it goes deeper than that: Leavers require Brexit to be a success(*) but only the EU can deliver it. The success of their project depends entirely on the people from whom they are supposed to be taking back control.

* In relative terms, naturally.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

I have to say I was really shocked by the #metoo campaign on Facebook where basically all of my female friends have been harassed/worse - as well as a much smaller number of male friends.

It feels to me as if that campaign has been very successful at provoking a discussion as well as claiming a few scalps.
    It is language like 'claiming a few scalps' that I find worrying. We should be aiming for justice - and that is not about victories/defeats or 'scalps'. I think everyone should be working towards securing justice for victims and fair hearings for the accused. At the moment, I worry that we aren't getting that.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

Yep - most of my friends have been harassed, I've experienced it as well.

I'm happy this subject is being discussed.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

Absolutely right (though I'm slightly uncomfortable with the idea that this is all about "right wingers", because it isn't).
    This piece in the Guardian - and no doubt there are those who will roll their eyes because it's the Guardian, and it concerns the theatre world, but whatever - is very much on point:
    https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2017/nov/04/royal-court-vicky-featherstone-we-all-knew-about-sexual-harassment
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,076
    edited November 2017

Metatron said:

No they are not.
    Not at all. She's exactly the kind of leader we need: articulate, inspiring, passionate, modern, politically astute, and free of the unfortunate baggage most of the Cabinet has picked up.

Of course there are the minor inconveniences that she might not want the job, and is not in a position to get it, but you can't have everything!
    And the even bigger inconveniences that the only ideas she has had are:

1) Keep WFA in Scotland but not in England and Wales
    2) Build endless new towns (financing and locations not revealed)
  • Options
    FF43 said:

The greater paradox is that Leavers require Brexit to be a success but only Remainers can deliver it*

* Success in relative terms. Brexit "success" will be worse than what we had before, but people accept it. Remainers who expected the worst might be agreeably surprised, but Leavers would have to accept that Leave made things worse and they were operating off a false premise in the referendum.
    I note Europe is already saying David Davis' "basic Brexit" fallback position is a 'fantasy' -
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/04/britain-living-fantasy-land-hopes-basic-brexit-senior-eu-officials/
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

Just to clarify. You're suggesting that opposition to sexual harassment is a backlash to a socially conservative world view?
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

It is language like 'claiming a few scalps' that I find worrying. We should be aiming for justice - and that is not about victories/defeats or 'scalps'. I think everyone should be working towards securing justice for victims and fair hearings for the accused. At the moment, I worry that we aren't getting that.
    I don’t know whether Weinstein or Spacey can or ever will be prosecuted.
    Perhaps scalps was a bit glib but it is important that people know powerful people can’t automatically get away with it. When you look at Trump, B. Clinton, Saville and others you can’t blame people for wondering...

In the long run I think this current media focus will be helpful to ensure that victims feel more confident to come forward.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

Absolutely right (though I'm slightly uncomfortable with the idea that this is all about "right wingers", because it isn't).
    This piece in the Guardian - and no doubt there are those who will roll their eyes because it's the Guardian, and it concerns the theatre world, but whatever - is very much on point:
    https://www.theguardian.com/stage/2017/nov/04/royal-court-vicky-featherstone-we-all-knew-about-sexual-harassment
    I didn't mean to imply it's all about right wingers. It was more in reference to those characterising what's happened as puritan, and 'pc gone mad'' etc, as most of those commentators who don't see all of this as a step in the right direction have generally been on the political right - O'Neill and Douglas as I mentioned before, but also Moore today, and the likes of Vine and Pierce earlier on this week.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

We are alr

The dressing up of tg wrong.

I think that's a reasonable way of looking at it. We need people who have been abused to feel able to go to the police, we need people who have been mistreated to feel able to go to the appropriate authority in that instance, be it party hierarchy or work or something, and hopefully those who have committed wrongdoing will be punished. But no one, I would hope, would think that all allegations equal an offense, or that all offenses are equal, and therefore merely costing some jobs does not in itself suggest an improvement in the situation with the culture long term, and if it is the primary goal then in fact might distract energies from solving the problem rather than merely seeking scalps, which is a part of it but not the whole of it. For now I'm not concerned about it becoming a witchhunt, there has been an overdone counter in some quarters, but a constant reminder that just because there is a problem does not mean everyone accused is guilty is also reasonable so people keep perspective, that we want to collect the scalps of those who deserve it, not just get as many scalps as we can.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

What's wrong with social conservatism?
  • Options

Nigelb said:

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

Snip...

I didn't mean to imply it's all about right wingers. It was more in reference to those characterising what's happened as puritan, and 'pc gone mad'' etc, as most of those commentators who don't see all of this as a step in the right direction have generally been on the political right - O'Neill and Douglas as I mentioned before, but also Moore today, and the likes of Vine and Pierce earlier on this week.
    Fair point.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    midwinter said:

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

Just to clarify. You're suggesting that opposition to sexual harassment is a backlash to a socially conservative world view?
    Yes, I don't think that's a controversial point to make. It's not those on the Left of the Tory party, nor is it left-liberal commentators who are calling these allegations a sign of puritanism (generally speaking).
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

I guess it depends what you're conserving ?
    (The Conservative party has often, at its best, helped lead social change when it recognises it's necessary.)

• Options
    I've managed to get to 50 without ever feeling inclined to use such authority as I have to press myself onto others. I don't regard myself as some kind of unworldly saint.

Talk about Puritanism is ridiculous,
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    AndyJS said:

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

Pretty much everything, in my view (I'm very socially liberal). I'm not a fan of the because 'I put up with it in my generation so should you' attitude, for example that social conservatives that I know have been telling me over the last week in light of these recent allegations in Westminster.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

midwinter said:

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

Yes, I don't think that's a controversial point to make. It's not those on the Left of the Tory party, nor is it left-liberal commentators who are calling these allegations a sign of puritanism.
    Personally I think it's a backlash against people behaving inappropriately and has absolutely nothing to do with ones political alignment.
  • Options

I've managed to get to 50 without ever feeling inclined to use such authority as I have to press myself onto others. I don't regard myself as some kind of unworldly saint.

Absolutely, Alastair. I'd be ashamed if my sons, aged 18, 20 and 22 had to have some sort of Code Of Conduct on how to behave around young women. That it is the great and the good who clearly can't control themselves just shows how morally corrupt they all are.
  • Options

Absolutely, Alastair. I'd be ashamed if my sons, aged 18, 20 and 22 had to have some sort of Code Of Conduct on how to behave around young women. That it is the great and the good who clearly can't control themselves just shows how morally corrupt they all are.
    We must stop tarring everyone as being corrupt. Yes, there are some who have overstepped the mark and, in some case, their behaviour could well have been bad enough to warrant criminal charges being laid. But it is not true of all of 'the great and the good' - it is a small subset of people who have transgressed.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2017
    midwinter said:

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

The people I find really interesting are the old school moralistic religious/post-religious social conservatives - esp. socially conservative women who preach monogamous marriage / purity-in-thought-and-deed / strong punishment for those who transgress.

In my mind, they form a natural coalition with the young #metoo 's

For eg, Anne Widdecombe surprised me with her thoughts;

http://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/875482/Westminster-sex-scandal-ann-widdecombe-snowflake-mp-women-liberation-feminism-video
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Sean_F said:

AndyJS said:

Pretty much everything, in my view (I'm very socially liberal). I'm not a fan of the because 'I put up with it in my generation so should you' attitude, for example that social conservatives that I know have been telling me over the last week in light of these recent allegations in Westminster.
    Yet it is people who purport to be socially liberal who have a remarkable silence about FGM.

Something which tends to be mentioned here only by people of the political centre or right and it should be noted a large majority of the victims reside in areas with Labour MPs and Labour councils.
  • Options

We must stop tarring everyone as being corrupt. Yes, there are some who have overstepped the mark and, in some case, their behaviour could well have been bad enough to warrant criminal charges being laid. But it is not true of all of 'the great and the good' - it is a small subset of people who have transgressed.
    First, the subset doesn't seem that small.

Secondly, such actions seem to have been universally tolerated, indeed seen as useful leverage by others.

Westminster seems to have a serious culture problem.
This discussion has been closed.