Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Today could have been the day when BoJo’s dream of becoming PM

SystemSystem Posts: 11,683
edited November 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Today could have been the day when BoJo’s dream of becoming PM finally ended

Peter Brookes on Boris Johnson gaffe that could see Briton jailed for longer in Iran – political cartoon gallery in Putney pic.twitter.com/eMHbYvRIuw

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    First
  • Options
    He has blown it thankfully - TM must shuffle her cabinet before Xmas
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966
    Second. Unlike Boris, who must have ruled himself out of the top two now.....surely?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    Third. Boris would be so lucky.
  • Options
    Suspect he is going to follow Osborne in due course
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,238

There is such a filthy pun I could make about it not being the first time he's blown...

Good night.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

There is such a filthy pun I could make about it not being the first time he's blown...

Good night.
    I am just an innocent sort of guy
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Good night.
    Bah. this is me moments after Boris announced he wasn't standing in the 2016 Tory leadership contest

https://twitter.com/TSEofPB/status/748471159621095424
  • Options
    Off topic
    Thank you to Rob Smithson for getting the Isthmian league Division one North on Crowdscores.
    I can now follow the mighty Potters Bar Town without turning round from my barstool.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,613
    No sign of the next leader in the betting yet.

#Esther4Leader
  • Options
    I've been laying Boris for two leadership contests in a row.

He was never ever a contender.
  • Options

Off topic
    Thank you to Rob Smithson for getting the Isthmian league Division one North on Crowdscores.
    I can now follow the mighty Potters Bar Town without turning round from my barstool.

How have you taken the Priti Patel news?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    SeanT said:

I have a personal liking, plus a career debt, AND a political admiration for Boris. But yes, I fear he has blown it. He hasn't quite got the persona for PM (or even FM) in these straintened circumstances.

He would make a fine, charismatic wartime leader, but we aren't quite in wartime, whatever these nappy-wearing Remoaners would have us believe.

Of course if Brexit turns to shit, and we get a feeble minority led Corbyn government, who knows. Boris might suddenly appear to be The Man. Like Churchill. Who knows.....

I'd put him at 6/1 as next PM

Blimey mate, if you think he's a gonner, it's deffo curtains.

Hurrah!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Reshuffle in next 28 days imperative for TM
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,993

Off topic

LOL!
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,975

#Esther4Leader

Thought you were on Priti? McVey is a lay ...
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Scott_P said:
    Whatever became of the Theresa May who was prepared to sack Osborne in the blink of an eye?
  • Options

SeanT said:

I have a personal liking, plus a career debt, AND a political admiration for Boris. But yes, I fear he has blown it. He hasn't quite got the persona for PM (or even FM) in these straintened circumstances.

He would make a fine, charismatic wartime leader, but we aren't quite in wartime, whatever these nappy-wearing Remoaners would have us believe.

Of course if Brexit turns to shit, and we get a feeble minority led Corbyn government, who knows. Boris might suddenly appear to be The Man. Like Churchill. Who knows.....

I'd put him at 6/1 as next PM

Blimey mate, if you think he's a gonner, it's deffo curtains.

Hurrah!
    I think he is a gonner as a future PM
  • Options
    So we're all getting 280 characters on Twitter.

Unbridled joy.
  • Options
    Yes, looking grim for Boris. Everyone knew he could entertain, but when he became Foreign Sec. it was vital that he demonstrated he could handle the boring complexities and was a safe pair of hands. He now just looks like Trump with added bonhomie. Shame because he added some gaiety to political life.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Whatever became of the Theresa May who was prepared to sack Osborne in the blink of an eye?
    She realised that sacking Osborne was a mistake, so she's not keen to repeat the mistake.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I'm struggling to understand what Ms Patel needs to do to get fired.
  • Options

So we're all getting 280 characters on Twitter.

Unbridled joy.

Is Trump, God forbid
  • Options

#Esther4Leader

Thought you were on Priti? McVey is a lay ...
    The writing is on the wall for Priti. Time to jump horses and ramp another would-be Tory leader who would be great news for Labour.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:
    I'm struggling to understand what Ms Patel needs to do to get fired.
    Kindling would help
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    I would fire Patel, Fox, and Johnson. I would promote Gove to Foreign Secretary.

And I would bring in Kwasi Kwarteng, JRM and Rory Stewart.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

But by then the dithering will have gone on too long and been damaging in itself - she will look as if she is caving into pressure not taking charge of events.

Patel and Johnson should have been fired today. They haven't been. Even if it is because as we have discussed before she doesn't know who will or won't be tainted in his scandal, that will be costly.

The problem is that she is not showing any leadership. No one admires a ditherer.
    John Major was mentioned earlier on this thread. The parallels are becoming painfully obvious. Thatcher, Blair, Cameron with their many faults were leaders - decisive and willing to back their judgements. Brown, May, Major are all as you say ditherers. It is no coincidence that the first three won elections and Brown and May couldn't (I know Major did, but he started well ahead of the other two in terms of seats).
    Was Major a ditherer?
    That's a "grey" area :)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    She took an earlier flight to dodge MPs questions? With initiative like that she deserves a promotion.

#Priti2FO
  • Options
    Mikasa, built in Britain, and a veteran of the Russo-Japanese War, is the only surviving pre-Dreadnought battleship. She is now a museum ship.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    The next Tory leader must come from the backbenches.
  • Options

twitter.com/Peston/status/928017894465769472

Rory the Tory doesn't need to worry, his phone won't be ringing...
  • Options
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    She obviously wants out.
    Fleeing the sinking ship.
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

WTF was Patel playing at? Seems like only a matter of time b4 she is gone.

Boris I have more sympathy for - and not just because I occasionally mis-say things. His words have been bigged up and taken out of context for political-point scoring, and those who did that have as much to answer for as Boris.

• Options
    nielh said:

She obviously wants out.
    Fleeing the sinking ship.
    Who wants out
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:
    I would fire Patel, Fox, and Johnson. I would promote Gove to Foreign Secretary.

Some good names there but I Hoped better than Gavin Williamson .
  • Options

Boris I have more sympathy for - and not just because I occasionally mis-say things. His words have been bigged up and taken out of context for political-point scoring, and those who did that have as much to answer for as Boris.

Priti is in Africa till monday. Be interesting to see if she is recalled
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,437
    edited November 2017
    You just know Theresa May is going to make Nick Timothy the replacement for Priti Patel.
  • Options

I agree. There are no circumstances where it is acceptable for a cabinet minister to pursue a parallel foreign policy, and to then lie to the Foreign Secretary, the PM and the press. May should have fired her in August when she first admitted (a small amount of) what she had done.
  • Options

You just know Theresa May is going to make Nick Timothy as Priti Patel's replacement.

I would demand her resignation if she did anything as stupid as that.

She has to get a grip, re shuffle the cabinet, and bring in new blood.

Or she will need to go I am afaid
  • Options
    Is Ms Patel on Twitter? Perhaps it would be a good idea if someone sent her the Think of It "good resignation" clip.
  • Options
    I was at University with Priti Patel, you know. She wasn't the sharpest tool in the box. Imagine my surprise when she turned up as a Cabinet Minister.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Is Ms Patel on Twitter? Perhaps it would be a good idea if someone sent her the Think of It "good resignation" clip.

She is.

https://twitter.com/patel4witham
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Check arrivals from Africa in Heathrow
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited November 2017
    Scott_P said:

I really can't see the case for her going, but Boris staying.... there are much more serious consequences likely from his actions than there are from Patel's.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    edited November 2017
    It's ironical that Patel's possible sacking is partly because she slighted Boris. Arguably, if she's sacked it strengthens him - the man you shouldn't cross, etc.

But the far more significant item in that clipping is that 40 Tory rebels are allegedly preparing to call for May to set a date to quit "if she does not do so next week". I think from the wording "do so" means "set a date to resign" rather than "sack Patel". If that's right, then Jan-Mar exit date looks plausible at 5.6 on Betfair, unless you think that she can stave it off by saying "I'll quit in April 2019".
  • Options
    nielhnielh Posts: 1,307
    rcs1000 said:

I agree. There are no circumstances where it is acceptable for a cabinet minister to pursue a parallel foreign policy, and to then lie to the Foreign Secretary, the PM and the press. May should have fired her in August when she first admitted (a small amount of) what she had done.
    Depends whether she was meeting these people in a personal capacity or an official capacity. It seems that the main problem was the blurring of the two.

• Options
    rcs1000 said:

I agree. Boris made an unfortunate and careless remark. He should have known better, and we should perhaps have a more astute FS, but it happens. It was a mistake, not a crime.

Patel appears to have been mischief making, or at the very least running her own foreign policy. She has no place in anybody's government, if that's the case.
  • Options
    Just imagine if Philip Hammond set up his own parallel foreign policy with the France, Germany, or the EU
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    edited November 2017
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,611

• Options
    Rabb C Nesbitt 3%?
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Waits for her to land back a Heathrow
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

rcs1000 said:

I agree. Boris made an unfortunate and careless remark. He should have known better, and we should perhaps have a more astute FS, but it happens. It was a mistake, not a crime.

Patel appears to have been mischief making, or at the very least running her own foreign policy. She has no place in anybody's government, if that's the case.
    Some mistakes are also serious crimes (involuntary manslaughter, death by careless driving). Boris's remark falls into that category; Jack Straw was not exaggerating when he said that "careless talk costs lives".
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,847
    Priti Patel has always been an accident waiting to happen. And a demented, hanging and flogging Brexiter to boot.

Of the entire Cabinet only Javid and Gove have impressed, with honorary mention to Jeremy Hunt for avoiding political calamity in Health.

Abort the lot of them.
  • Options
    We knew Patel broke the ministerial code of conduct and all the PM said was "we need to tighten the code" - rather than "Priti you are fired"

The PM confirms yet again (as if confirmation was needed) that she is weak and useless.

Time for Tory MPs to do the decent thing and demand a vote of confidence in her leadership.
  • Options

Rabb C Nesbitt 3%?

Rabb Butler?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

I really can't see the case for her going, but Boris staying.... there are much more serious consequences likely from his actions than there are from Patel's.
    His was a sin of omission...not doing the work to realise how his words would be taken.
    Hers was deliberate. It took planning. And was lied about.
    The 2 are not comparable.
  • Options
    Confirmation of my hypocrisy charge against Corbyn and McDonnell
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

rcs1000 said:

Boris has yet to admit he made a mistake.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

His was a sin of omission...not doing the work to realise how his words would be taken.
    Johnson's mistake is sackable because:

Although it's a mistake, it's habitual;
    He refused to apologise properly or admit fault;
    He's a total c*** unfit to be representing this country abroad.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited November 2017
    dixiedean said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

But even so, while Patel certainly shouldn't have done what she did, no harm has really been done - the things she lobbied for during/after her trip were all kiboshed by the civil servants in her department, right?

By contrast, Boris could be directly responsible for someone being jailed for much longer than she would otherwise have been, in a country where jail conditions are particularly unpleasant.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    dixiedean said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

I think we can recognise this as an "A plague on both their houses" situation. If I were Mrs Z-R or a member of her family I wouldn't be terribly consoled by the assurance that Johnson was just a lazy arse rather than actively malevolent.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,282
    edited November 2017
    Puts the pressure on Boris. And May.
  • Options
    *Checks diary*

Mike's next holiday starts in less than a fortnight.
  • Options
    So much for Global Britain. 0.7% of GNI with an economy our size makes us an Aid Superpower. If Brexiters, of whom Patel is one, were serious then this is an area where flair and innovation could be demonstrated. In it's modern firm the Aid budget was founded by a Conservative government and we reached 0.7% GNI under one.

Instead the department is giving to someone who doesn't really believe in it purely as part of a post Referendum balancing act. Then she spends her time in office pandering to anti Aid sentiment. Then this happens.

Meanwhile we progress with Brexit which will exclude our world leading Aid agencies from the EU Aid budget from which they won a disproportionate share.

If May wants to scrape a few shards of redemption from her remaining months in office she'll make Rory Stewert DIfD Sec before she goes.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @paulwaugh: Priti Patel cd be back in London for breakfast tmrw (flight via Kenya tonight). And once back here, her career could be eaten for breakfast.
  • Options
    I haven't been able to figure out why Priti is such a 'friend of Israel'.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

Johnson's mistake is sackable because:

Although it's a mistake, it's habitual;
    He refused to apologise properly or admit fault;
    He's a total c*** unfit to be representing this country abroad.
    I do not disagree. However, Patel's was, I think you will agree of an entirely different order.
    Boris ought to go because
    1) He simply is incapable of doing the work to be on top of the brief.
    2) When questioned, he blurts out the first thing that pops into his head. Sometimes this is amusing or erudite. Occasionally idiotic.
    3) He seems psychologically unable to admit error.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Assuming May does actually find the bottle to sack Priti, does she replace her with

a. Someone vaguely competent from the new intake?
    b. Another Brexiteer. Bill Cash or John Redwood?
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Assuming May does actually find the bottle to sack Priti, does she replace her with

c. Chloe Smith
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

dixiedean said:

Danny565 said:

Scott_P said:

I think we can recognise this as an "A plague on both their houses" situation. If I were Mrs Z-R or a member of her family I wouldn't be terribly consoled by the assurance that Johnson was just a lazy arse rather than actively malevolent.
    I agree. See my reply to @Gardenwalker
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Not B other than JRM
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Sounds like night of the long knives for the Cabinet Leavers.
  • Options

So much for Global Britain. 0.7% of GNI with an economy our size makes us an Aid Superpower. If Brexiters, of whom Patel is one, were serious then this is an area where flair and innovation could be demonstrated. In it's modern firm the Aid budget was founded by a Conservative government and we reached 0.7% GNI under one.

Instead the department is giving to someone who doesn't really believe in it purely as part of a post Referendum balancing act. Then she spends her time in office pandering to anti Aid sentiment. Then this happens.

Meanwhile we progress with Brexit which will exclude our world leading Aid agencies from the EU Aid budget from which they won a disproportionate share.

If May wants to scrape a few shards of redemption from her remaining months in office she'll make Rory Stewert DIfD Sec before she goes.

Kwasi, Tugendhat, Raab, Stewart now.
    And McVey needs a proper job.

Or, she is just a bedblocker and needs to be terminated with due dignitas.
  • Options

Kwasi, Tugendhat, Raab, Stewart now.
    And McVey needs a proper job.

Or, she is just a bedblocker and needs to be terminated with due dignitas.
    +1
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

I wondered that. Is it her affinity with the US right wingers?
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    rcs1000 said:

Scott_P said:

All good calls. Time for grown-ups who can deliver - I'd also promote Dom Raab. alistair Burt, Tracey Crouch, Sarah Wollaston, Andrew Selous and Jeremy Hunt. I'd demote Leadsom and Truss to make way.
  • Options

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India–Israel_relations
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    I thought we had an impartial civil service?
This discussion has been closed.