Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tory turmoil continues as another Cabinet exit appears to

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited November 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Tory turmoil continues as another Cabinet exit appears to be in the offing

Yesterday morning the odds on the International Development Secretary, Priti Patel, being the next cabinet exit were 5/1 with TMay’s deputy, her long standing friend from Oxford, Damian Green the 6/4 favourite.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    I’ve laid Patil as next to go.
    Probably a mistake - but seemed like May doesn’t want to pull the trigger.
    And there are other Cabinet members making a decent case to be fired!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

rcs1000 said:

To my mind, this is what really finishes her.

It's that she hasn't come clean - to her own PM or the FCO - about the meetings she'd had. If everything had been disclosed back in August, when the story first broke, she'd probably have survived. But lying by omission, again and again and again, surely makes her position untenable.
    I suspect this story won’t have much traction with the public.
    Us talking to an ally unofficially probably doesn’t seem that newsworthy and there is a level of boredom around Arab Israeli conflict for most.
    I agree it won’t have much traction - it’s not as though she’s undermining a competent and effective Foreign Secretary.

May however should sack her pour encourager les autres otherwise it’s open season on Foreign Policy which could give Boris just the excuse he is looking for to resign and blame the PM.

She’s got to sack both.
    I’ve just laid Patil at 1.29 as next to go from Cabinet.

Given the shortage of leavers to replace them with - it almost seems as though the simultaneous screw up is a great defence for Brexiteers. She should sack both but can’t.

If Boris had apologised and done all he could to remedy I would have accepted that he misspoke.
    Patil’s actions are far more insidious as I see it.

The other point is May would replace either with future leadership rivals.
    She may see Boris and Patil as weak enough to beat now.
    "Shortage of leavers": errr... how about Kwarteng, Stewart, or Rees Mogg?
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

rcs1000 said:

It's that she hasn't come clean - to her own PM or the FCO - about the meetings she'd had. If everything had been disclosed back in August, when the story first broke, she'd probably have survived. But lying by omission, again and again and again, surely makes her position untenable.
    Us talking to an ally unofficially probably doesn’t seem that newsworthy and there is a level of boredom around Arab Israeli conflict for most.
    I agree it won’t have much traction - it’s not as though she’s undermining a competent and effective Foreign Secretary.

May however should sack her pour encourager les autres otherwise it’s open season on Foreign Policy which could give Boris just the excuse he is looking for to resign and blame the PM.

She’s got to sack both.

Given the shortage of leavers to replace them with - it almost seems as though the simultaneous screw up is a great defence for Brexiteers. She should sack both but can’t.

If Boris had apologised and done all he could to remedy I would have accepted that he misspoke.

Stewart was Remain I think.
    Kwarteng isn’t even in govt so to immediately promote to Cabinet would presume annoy others. Same for Rees Mogg who might even decline a job like Dfid.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,601
    rkrkrk said:

rcs1000 said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

rcs1000 said:

She’s got to sack both.

Kwarteng isn’t even in govt so to immediately promote to Cabinet would presume annoy others. Same for Rees Mogg who might even decline a job like Dfid.
    Why would he do that ?
    No interest in government, or just too arrogant ?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,897
    Priti and Boris are both surely toast now. Not betting on next out, as I reckon there will be a reshuffle after the budget, which is a fortnight away.

That said, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to hear that the government sent a plane to Uganda to collect Ms Patel and bring her back to London. If I were her boss I wouldn’t trust her to meet with anyone.
  • Options
    what about Andrea Leadsom?

Surely her perceived knifing of Fallon has seen to that?

Once again, May stands still and all around her potential replacements fall on each other.....
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

rkrkrk said:

rcs1000 said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

rcs1000 said:

She’s got to sack both.

Why would he do that ?
    A few reasons i can think of... just guessing though:
    1. Muzzles him on Brexit in theory. He’s disagreed with govt on approach and may want to push for a particular sort of deal.
    2. Dfid is a bad job for a Tory wanting to be leader.
    3. Policy issues with dfid supporting family planning around the world.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

That said, I wouldn’t be at all surprised to hear that the government sent a plane to Uganda to collect Ms Patel and bring her back to London. If I were her boss I wouldn’t trust her to meet with anyone.

Patel seems very keen to do her own travel arrangements - skipping out of Dodge on an earlier flight than everyone else yesterday....I wonder if she’s got extra meetings laid on?
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Nigelb said:

rkrkrk said:

rcs1000 said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

rcs1000 said:

She’s got to sack both.

Why would he do that ?
    A few reasons i can think of... just guessing though:
    1. Muzzles him on Brexit in theory. He’s disagreed with govt on approach and may want to push for a particular sort of deal.
    2. Dfid is a bad job for a Tory wanting to be leader.
    3. Policy issues with dfid supporting family planning around the world.
    So a combination of the two.
    You don't get to go into government on your own terms ....unless you expect, absurdly, to go straight to PM.
  • Options
    The EU continues to ratchet up negotiating pressure:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/07/brexit-eu-warns-uk-it-has-less-than-a-month-to-make-concessions

We could quite conceivably end up with a no deal Brexit as each side wrongly expects the other to make concessions while each (wrongly) believing that they are behaving reasonably....
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Patel seems very keen to do her own travel arrangements - skipping out of Dodge on an earlier flight than everyone else yesterday....I wonder if she’s got extra meetings laid on?
    If as reported in the Telegraph, she changed her flight to an earlier one at the last minute to avoid Parliament, then that’s yet more aggravating factors. If I were Mrs May I’d send the RAF to pick her up - and not the nice plane they fitted out for ministerial travel either.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/nov/07/priti-patel-wanted-to-send-aid-money-to-israeli-army-no-10-confirms

This is becoming like Trump and Russia. In her case, it's Israel.

Why does the SoS for DfID need to meet Israelis so often ? Future election funds ? Did she start to believe some of the hype herself ?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/07/brexit-eu-warns-uk-it-has-less-than-a-month-to-make-concessions

We could quite conceivably end up with a no deal Brexit as each side wrongly expects the other to make concessions while each (wrongly) believing that they are behaving reasonably....

Well if no trade talks are forthcoming by Christmas, we need to just admit it’s not happening and prepare to leave the EU without a trade deal in March 2019. The clock running down is creating uncertainty among the business community, which is exactly what the EU want to push a one-sided fait accompli at the eleventh hour.
  • Options
    This is becoming a government where Ministers do as they please. This happens when the head is weak.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

If as reported in the Telegraph, she changed her flight to an earlier one at the last minute to avoid Parliament, then that’s yet more aggravating factors. If I were Mrs May I’d send the RAF to pick her up - and not the nice plane they fitted out for ministerial travel either.
    A case for extraordinary rendition ?

• Options
    The head of the NHS wants his Brexit cash:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41908302
    :smile:
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,998
    edited November 2017
    Sandpit said:

If I were Mrs May I’d send the RAF to pick her up - and not the nice plane they fitted out for ministerial travel either.

What's the point of that? A BZN-EBB-BZN flight is going to cost the tax payer over a hundred grand.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    Sandpit said:

Nigelb said:

Well if no trade talks are forthcoming by Christmas, we need to just admit it’s not happening and prepare to leave the EU without a trade deal in March 2019. The clock running down is creating uncertainty among the business community, which is exactly what the EU want to push a one-sided fait accompli at the eleventh hour.
    We should have been preparing for No Deal, even in the event negotiations were going swimmingly.

If there is an opposite to "talk softly but carry a big stick," it's us.
  • Options
    The common enemy is Iran. Yemeni rebels, Qatar and now Lebanon, all supported by Iran.

A little worrying, living as I am next door to all this!
  • Options
    Nothing curious at all. The Saudi royal family exists to help the US-Israeli axis.
  • Options
    It doesn't sound as though there's much support for Ms Patel in Downing Street either now. The whole affair, however, has shown the spinelessness of Theresa May. She should have acted far more decisively.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Dura_Ace said:

Sandpit said:

If I were Mrs May I’d send the RAF to pick her up - and not the nice plane they fitted out for ministerial travel either.

What's the point of that? A BZN-EBB-BZN flight is going to cost the tax payer over a hundred grand.
    The marginal cost will be less than that, and I’m sure the RAF can find an inventive way of turning it into a training flight of some sort. As you know we do these sort of missions all the time for diplomatic reasons.
    The damage that she can do to international relations if she goes off-piste abroad, is orders of magnitude more than the cost of flying her home. Bill her department for the cost if it’s that important, they can’t spend their whole budget anyway.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2017
    Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

"Operation Entebbe"

I'm sure she'd see the funny side.
  • Options
    OchEyeOchEye Posts: 1,469
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

A Hercules (C130) is particularly uncomfortable, and noisy......
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

The common enemy is Iran. Yemeni rebels, Qatar and now Lebanon, all supported by Iran.

I can definitely understand being generally pro Israel in the region.

But I don't understand why we would want to pick sides between Saudi and Iran.
  • Options
    daodaodaodao Posts: 821
    rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

But I don't understand why we would want to pick sides between Saudi and Iran.
    He who pays the piper calls the tune.
  • Options
    I'll believe Patel's dismissal when I see it.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

It doesn't sound as though there's much support for Ms Patel in Downing Street either now. The whole affair, however, has shown the spinelessness of Theresa May. She should have acted far more decisively.

Does anyone believe that this is a government that could negotiate a piss up in a brewery, let alone the most significant foreign policy since 1973?

We are a laughing stock.
  • Options
    Pong said:

Nigelb said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

"Operation Entebbe"

I'm sure she'd see the funny side.
    Wild Geese III.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    OchEye said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

...and would need a tech stop or two on the way back. I like your thinking.

You just know she’d be expecting the VIP Voyager, would be well worth sending a C130 just to see the look on her face. Especially when the Captain handed her a letter from the PM relieving her of her position, before throwing her in the back of the plane for a noisy 20-ish hour trip back to Northolt. Maybe they could do it unpressurised with everyone on O2, just to make it more fun as a training exercise. ;)
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

Britain had the opportunity and justification to snuff out the nascent Zionist state in 1946, but didn't bite the bullet. The consequences of not doing so are there for all to see.
  • Options

If Priti isn't sacked today, the Maybot is a Zombie.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,997

If May doesn't dismiss her, she herself should go. You just cannot have ministers acting in this manner.

It's a government of chaos. May needs to start getting a grip, and she can start by sacking Patel. Johnson too, probably, although I think that's less clear-cut.
  • Options

To be fair - when she has acted decisively - calling an early GE, including a controversial social care policy, sacking Osborne and other Cameroons... it hasn't always ended well.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,990
    edited November 2017
    daodao said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

Britain had the opportunity and justification to snuff out the nascent Zionist state in 1946, but didn't bite the bullet. The consequences of not doing so are there for all to see.
    That’s a strange thing to say. I was only a child in 1946 but I can recall the sympathy for the Jews after the way they had been treated in Europe that was around a few years later. IIRC there wasn’t, initially, a lot of pro-Arab feeling.
    How the State of Israel has behaved since is a different matter.
  • Options

If May doesn't dismiss her, she herself should go. You just cannot have ministers acting in this manner.

It's a government of chaos. May needs to start getting a grip, and she can start by sacking Patel. Johnson too, probably, although I think that's less clear-cut.
    Judging by how brazen her statement was... Patel doesn't feel like resigning.
    I expect when she does leave the Cabinet it will be to launch a leadership challenge.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    Weak and wobbly must surely act today.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @BBCNormanS: Sources say Priti Patel itinerary on Africa trip is now "changing."
  • Options

I think she's lost confidence in her decision making process and is now crippled by the fear of unintended consequences.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    edited November 2017
    rkrkrk said:

I genuinely don't see how Patel can't go. Conducting freelance and clandestine high level meetings with a foreign power. She has to go.
  • Options
    daodao said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

What would you have done? Deport all the Jews back to Europe? Imprison them? Or cleanse them?
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

I genuinely don't see how Patel can't go. Conducting freelance and clandestine high level meetings with a foreign power. She has to go.
    I don't disagree. But that was all the case on Monday too when may opted not to sack her.
    Now it looks like even in her apology Patel lied (why!?) and that might be what does for her.
  • Options

I think she's lost confidence in her decision making process and is now crippled by the fear of unintended consequences.
    That’s probably true, but Patel will have lost most if not all of her support in the last 24 hours. If Mrs May doesn’t act now she’s going to be in trouble herself.
  • Options

daodao said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

What would you have done? Deport all the Jews back to Europe? Imprison them? Or cleanse them?
    Britain did detain many "illegal" Jewish immigrants, in Cyprus and elsewhere, and deport some back to Europe, but it was in a parlous state after the end of WW2 and incapable of decisive action in the overseas sphere - witness the disastrous end to the Dominion of India. There was a battle in the UK government between Bevin and those more sympathetic to Zionism.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,280
    Mike says May was wrong to carry on - yet imagine the mess the Tories and the country would be in now if a brand new PM - the third in rapid succession - were now embroiled in this harassment crisis. At least May's reputation doesn't have so far to sink, and she is actually well placed (as a sober female) to stay above it all. The idea of Boris trying to deal with it all makes me shiver.
  • Options
    daodao said:

daodao said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

Britain did detain many "illegal" Jewish immigrants, in Cyprus and elsewhere, and deport some back to Europe, but it was in a parlous state after the end of WW2 and incapable of decisive action in the overseas sphere - witness the disastrous end to the Dominion of India. There was a battle in the UK government between Bevin and those more sympathetic to Zionism.
    KL is currently itching to join PB.

Can moderators ban the H word quick.
  • Options
    daodao said:

daodao said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

You’re right in your last sentence, but, as I say, my youthful memory is that there was a lot of public support for Israel.

Background hint; my parents were Telegraph readers, so that was where I started reading about politics.
    Didn’t start reading the Daily Worker until about 1953/4.
  • Options
    @bbclaurak: Patel already looked like she was on way out of the door late last night, revelations about more extra curricular meetings make that seem almost inevitable now

@bbclaurak: And if May doesn’t sack her now it’s an ongoing sore that smacks of weakness
  • Options
    Amber Rudd would have dealt with all this shirt.

She is in the wrong Constituency and doesn't own gumboots
  • Options
    daodao said:

daodao said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

You haven't answered the question.

How do you propose the UK should have "snuffed out" the nascent Israeli state in 1946?
  • Options
    I’ve met Patel a few times. She tends to get angry if rattled/challenged. IME, anyway.
  • Options
    MonksfieldMonksfield Posts: 2,203
    rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

I don't disagree. But that was all the case on Monday too when may opted not to sack her.
    Now it looks like even in her apology Patel lied (why!?) and that might be what does for her.
    A good thread on why her position is completely untenable...

https://mobile.twitter.com/nicktolhurst/status/927856249269620736
  • Options

daodao said:

daodao said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

You haven't answered the question.

How do you propose the UK should have "snuffed out" the nascent Israeli state in 1946?
    We did try! by 1947 we had 100 000 troops and police there. 1 for every 5 Jewish people in Palestine.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

daodao said:

daodao said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

You’re right in your last sentence, but, as I say, my youthful memory is that there was a lot of public support for Israel.

Background hint; my parents were Telegraph readers, so that was where I started reading about politics.
    There was also a lot of support for the nascent Israelis on the ground, because of what many in the army had seen and experienced in Germany. This attitude started to change with the troops' experience there (particularly some brutal Jewish terrorist attacks) but by then we were on our way to pulling out - as you say, the will to stay on the ground and impose some sort of lasting solution wasn't there. With hindsight it might have been better had we tried, or quite possibly we would simply have been delaying the inevitable and prolonging our agony.
  • Options
    Oh

David Prescott, the son of former deputy Prime Minister John Prescott, was suspended “in the last few days”, according to the Daily Mirror.

When asked about the circumstances around Mr Prescott’s suspension, a spokesman for Labour told the paper they would not "comment on staffing matters".

However they added: “The party takes all complaints of sexual harassment, abuse and discrimination extremely seriously.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/90430/jeremy-corbyn-aide-david-prescott-suspended-amid
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

Judging by how brazen her statement was... Patel doesn't feel like resigning.
    I expect when she does leave the Cabinet it will be to launch a leadership challenge.
    Hahahahahahahaha.......
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Oh

David Prescott, the son of former deputy Prime Minister John Prescott, was suspended “in the last few days”, according to the Daily Mirror.

When asked about the circumstances around Mr Prescott’s suspension, a spokesman for Labour told the paper they would not "comment on staffing matters".

However they added: “The party takes all complaints of sexual harassment, abuse and discrimination extremely seriously.

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/labour-party/news/90430/jeremy-corbyn-aide-david-prescott-suspended-amid

I am guessing this may relate to a story that has already seen some exposure.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@BBCNormanS: Sources say Priti Patel itinerary on Africa trip is now "changing."

She's claiming political asylum... defecting.. ?
  • Options

Judging by the earlier Hinckley decision, she never had any confidence to lose.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

daodao said:

daodao said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

There was also a lot of support for the nascent Israelis on the ground, because of what many in the army had seen and experienced in Germany. This attitude started to change with the troops' experience there (particularly some brutal Jewish terrorist attacks) but by then we were on our way to pulling out - as you say, the will to stay on the ground and impose some sort of lasting solution wasn't there. With hindsight it might have been better had we tried, or quite possibly we would simply have been delaying the inevitable and prolonging our agony.
    Agree.
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

+1

The fact that she must have gone "off grid" to make the arrangements is particularly telling.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    One of the many lovely things about visiting Africa is that there is little time change so little Jet lag.

Nairobi airport has some quite good lounges too. One of my favourites.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

+1

The fact that she must have gone "off grid" to make the arrangements is particularly telling.
    It also sounds like in times past the punishment for Priti would have involved the Tower of London and a large crowd....
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Scott_P said:
    One of the many lovely things about visiting Africa is that there is little time change so little Jet lag.

Nairobi airport has some quite good lounges too. One of my favourites.
    I remember an hour's wait at Entebbe en route from Addis to Kigali. For some unknown reason Ethiopian airways 'clean' the planes on that route, which are empty at both ends, at Entebbe when full of passengers. In the middle of a tropical rainstorm, these women who were soaking wet came onto the plane to clean the floor, trying to drag their hoovers on a long lead along aisles 'ram packed' with people stretching their legs and with all sorts of bags and stuff on the floor. It was the most ridiculous carry on and the plane was probably dirtier after they had finished than before,
  • Options
    In the space of three days we have seen three prominent Brexit supporting cabinet ministers treat the institutions they claim to hold dear with absolute contempt. Is anyone really surprised? They think they can do whatever they want, say whatever they want and get away with it. That is the sovereignty they believe in.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

daodao said:

daodao said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

The real missed opportunity is that we had neither the will nor the money properly to set up a state for the Jewish refugees, which would have involved agreements with surrounding territories, and compensation for land rather than expropriation.

Both sides in the seventy year old conflict have legitimate claims, but the arguments haven't really changed in the decades since I can first remember them being debated.
  • Options
    rkrkrk said:

To be fair - when she has acted decisively - calling an early GE, including a controversial social care policy, sacking Osborne and other Cameroons... it hasn't always ended well.
    Whenever Theresa May has to make a big decision the default assumption must be that she will get it wrong
  • Options

rkrkrk said:

Whenever Theresa May has to make a big decision the default assumption must be that she will get it wrong
    Only after putting it off.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,998
    Sandpit said:

ng.

You just know she’d be expecting the VIP Voyager, would be well worth sending a C130 just to see the look on her face. Especially when the Captain handed her a letter from the PM relieving her of her position, before throwing her in the back of the plane for a noisy 20-ish hour trip back to Northolt. Maybe they could do it unpressurised with everyone on O2, just to make it more fun as a training exercise. ;)

The UK isn't (quite) yet a banana republic where that sort of shenanigans goes on. After Brexit, who knows...

I once did BAH-RMS in the back of a KC-130 Tango. It seemed to take a very, very long time.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

IanB2 said:

daodao said:

daodao said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

The real missed opportunity is that we had neither the will nor the money properly to set up a state for the Jewish refugees, which would have involved agreements with surrounding territories, and compensation for land rather than expropriation.

Both sides in the seventy year old conflict have legitimate claims, but the arguments haven't really changed in the decades since I can first remember them being debated.
    Nor some of the techniques - it was for example the British that dreamed up the idea of demolishing the family home of Jewish terrorists.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

daodao said:

daodao said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

King David Hotel bombing, the Wikipedia article gives some idea of what was going on at the time
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_David_Hotel_bombing
  • Options
    In other chutzpah news, Grimsby wants a special EU deal to help its fish industry:

https://twitter.com/mrjamesob/status/928166301956296704
  • Options
    Interestingly, the last flight of the day from Nairobi to London left NBO an hour ago. No more scheduled flights to Europe from there today.

Maybe the RAF are picking her up?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2017
    Nigelb said:

rkrkrk said:

Only after putting it off.
    The conservatives have got rather good at going on holiday and f*cking things up.
  • Options
    Have we been given any idea why Patel keeps having off-piste meetings with Israelis?
  • Options
    edited November 2017

In other chutzpah news, Grimsby wants a special EU deal to help its fish industry:

The West Country will want some of that...
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    edited November 2017
    Good morning, everyone.

I was wondering what the site's view was on Boris' blunder. The media focus does seem to be on Patel, which is giving the Foreign Secretary some respite from what should be relentless condemnation. Is Patel's error in judgement genuinely worse than Boris'?

Edited extra bit: Brazil, as usual, has qualifying and the race start at 4pm.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Boris is lucky.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Good morning, everyone.

I was wondering what the site's view was on Boris' blunder. The media focus does seem to be on Patel, which is giving the Foreign Secretary some respite from what should be relentless condemnation. Is Patel's error in judgement genuinely worse than Boris'?

To my mind - Patel's is much, much worse.
    Boris should apologise and work to remedy the situation.
    If unsuccessful he should consider his position.
    Patel should never come near a govt job again.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    OchEye said:

IanB2 said:

daodao said:

daodao said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

King David Hotel bombing, the Wikipedia article gives some idea of what was going on at the time
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_David_Hotel_bombing
    And the soldier who was shot in plain sight in a busy street, ignored by the shoppers and left for dead, and the two who were kidnapped and subsequently found hanging from a tree. It was a nasty period and coming straight after six years of war, it isn't surprising that our will to stick it out and endure terrorism from the Jews wasn't there.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

OchEye said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

...and would need a tech stop or two on the way back. I like your thinking.

Been many years since I've flown in one, are the toilet facilities now upgraded or still non existent, hmm, 20 hours.....
  • Options
    OMG Has someone hacked Tory Laura's account
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

"Grimsby’s seafood processing industry"

So not its fishing industry.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Boris is lucky.

For some strange and unmerited reason, he tends to be.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

daodao said:

daodao said:

rkrkrk said:

Sandpit said:

The Promise dramatises that very well. In fact, it was such a powerful drama that it led to me significantly qualifying my views on Israel/Palestine.

The only way to have preserved the 1948 UN partition settlement would have been to impose it by force. That would have required British troops (in even greater numbers that 100k) keeping both sides apart and suffering significant casualties from both for years, with no guarantee of success, even if they'd stayed another 20 years.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Boris is lucky.

And he has a chance to redeem himself by getting on a plane to Tehran, delivering a sincere apology and coming back with the prisoner. Still doesn’t mean he won’t get reshuffled to party chairman or some other minor position though.

Patel looks increasingly guilty of insubordination, and is pretty much toast if Mrs May wants to keep her own job.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Has weak and wobbly asked permission to sack her.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

"Grimsby’s seafood processing industry"

So not its fishing industry.
    Yeah, the two are not related at all.

• Options
    @skysarahjane: #BreakingNews @skynews understands @patel4witham is returning to London from Africa trip to speak to @theresa_may following latest revelations of secret meetings with Israeli officials
This discussion has been closed.