Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The big question is how much Corbyn’s LAB can capitalise on th

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited November 2017 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The big question is how much Corbyn’s LAB can capitalise on the Tory turmoil

With the difficulties that appear to mount by the day the time has come surely for Corbyn’s LAB to make significant advances in the polls.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,737
    If he cannot capitalise on all this shower, I'll start believing Labour might not win the next election.
  • Options
    Beverley_CBeverley_C Posts: 6,256
    FPT:

dixiedean said:

I'm 51 this month....when can I expect to be more tory and Brexity? Given the last 6 months I'm moving the other way. Maybe I am Benjamin Button?

I am slightly older than you, but I have not moved leftward. I have sat here and watched the Brexit loons and the ageing membership drag the Tory party past me and well over to the right.

To me, these days, they seem like UKIP-lite.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    edited November 2017
    If the argument is about competence, Corbyn’s opportunities to score are limited.

Passion? Fairness? Concern? Corbyn outclasses May on all of these. But he has no track record on competence: arguably it’s a negative for him too.

Corbyn needs a fat-cat scandal, a Conservative minister enriching him/herself, before he can really differentiate himself and break through.
  • Options
    Expecting the Romanian referee to be shown to be a hitherto unknown member of Mrs May's cabinet - the only explanation for such incompetence.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,992
    edited November 2017
    No Labour will not replicate its 2012 performance as what hit the Tories in 2012 was raising taxes on popular items, hardly a conservative policy.

All that has happened in the last few weeks is some personal problems for politicians on both sides of the aisle, not any major policy change.
  • Options
    I expect the polls will continue to show things pretty level. Corbyn is the Tory firewall. No matter how bad things get - and this is now comfortably the worst government of my lifetime - Corbyn and co will ensure the Tories have a fighting chance.
  • Options

Corbyn needs a fat-cat scandal, a Conservative minister enriching him/herself, before he can really differentiate himself and break through.

Surely all Corbyn has to do is wait for more resignations or for more Boris gaffs? I am expecting it to get really bumpy for the Brexiteers once we get 12 months away from the WTO exit and stuff with long lead times become a problem that all the Will eat cake and still have it lies cannot survive.
  • Options
    "Comrades, this is your Leader. It is an honour to speak to you today, and I am honoured to be sailing with you on the maiden voyage of our Party's most recent achievement. Once more, we play our dangerous game, a game of chess against our old adversary — The Conservative Party. For a hundred years, your fathers before you and your older brothers played this game and played it well. But today the game is different. We have the advantage. It reminds me of the heady days of 1945 and Clement Attlee, when the world trembled at the sound of our Nationalisations! Well, they will tremble again — at the sound of our Glorious 2017 Election Victory. The order is: engage the Corbyn Drive!

"Comrades, our own Parliamentary Party don't know our full potential. They will do everything possible to test us; but they will only test their own embarrassment. We will leave our MPs behind, we will pass through the Conservative patrols, past their sonar nets, and lay off their largest constituency, and listen to their chortling and tittering... while we conduct Austerity Debates! Then, and when we are finished, the only sound they will hear is our laughter, while we sail to Brighton, where the sun is warm, and so is the... Comradeship!

"A great day, Comrades! We sail into history!"
  • Options

FPT:

dixiedean said:

I'm 51 this month....when can I expect to be more tory and Brexity? Given the last 6 months I'm moving the other way. Maybe I am Benjamin Button?

I am slightly older than you, but I have not moved leftward. I have sat here and watched the Brexit loons and the ageing membership drag the Tory party past me and well over to the right.

To me, these days, they seem like UKIP-lite.
    Is every Brexit voter a loon? Is every Remain voter a poncey liberal elite Britain hater? Probably not.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    If Labour had Blair's front bench team, they would be ahead in the polls. Corbyn still has a significant number of back benchers who would knife him if they had the chance.

The Tories appear to be in a mess, but look at Labour's front benchers and ask do I really think they are more competent, able, decisive or experienced. Too many of Corbyn's appointments don't know enough about life outside quangos, unions or local government.

• Options

Surely all Corbyn has to do is wait for more resignations or for more Boris gaffs? I am expecting it to get really bumpy for the Brexiteers once we get 12 months away from the WTO exit and stuff with long lead times become a problem that all the Will eat cake and still have it lies cannot survive.
    We are heading for Canada style FTA, not WTO terms
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,291
    edited November 2017
    Everything depends on Brexit as long as TM stays in Office to March 2019.

For all the strife in the party I just do not see a GE nor how one would come about, though this could change with by elections but that may well effect all parties.

Labour in Wales are in real trouble, especially in North Wales, following the sad death of Carl Sargeant and a full independent inquiry could reveal many disturbing issues for labour going back some years
  • Options
    FPT:
    @another_richard Yes, that Paul Dacre. They ‘pandered’ to him because he is a powerful and influential person in the press so they don’t want to get on his bad side, not because they share all his values.

I don’t think the Stephen Lawrence campaign is something younger voters associate with the Mail. I only knew about until much later after I’d accquited a strong dislike for the Mail. It is one of good things they’ve done though.

Social conservatism in this country is not really of the anti-abortion and anti-gay inclination (anymore) the way it is in the states. It’s much more centred on being anti-immigration, anti-multiculturalism, climate change sceptic, pro-Brexit and anti-PC with a scepticism towards academia. Well, we are already seeing what the agenda means in practice since we’re leaving the EU. Heaton-Harris already indicated what the agenda would look like re universities.

@HYUFD It’s not rubbish - there’s being scepticism towards immigration beyond the last decade, and a lot of that has to do right leaning press. The link I provided you earlier shows the public are happy to pay the higher taxes themselves. There is little evidence the Tories lost their core vote at the GE.
  • Options

I expect the polls will continue to show things pretty level. Corbyn is the Tory firewall. No matter how bad things get - and this is now comfortably the worst government of my lifetime - Corbyn and co will ensure the Tories have a fighting chance.

The Eden 1955-1957 government, the Heath 1970-1974 government, the Wilson/Callaghan 1994-1979 government, the Brown 2007-2010 governments were all far worse than this one and in most of those cases the economy in a far weaker state too.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058
    Very interesting thread on the ideology of grassroots Brexiteers and why it confounds analysis:

https://twitter.com/ProfAFinlayson/status/928672008333856768
  • Options
    FPT - it's always struck me that Andrew Cooper would be far happier in New Labour than serving the Conservatives.
  • Options
    I think Corbyn would get a solid 38-39% in another GE, provided May isn't leading the Tories.

I'm not sure how many direct Tory to Labour switchers he'd attract to get himself across the line.

What can he offer them?
  • Options

I think Corbyn would get a solid 38-39% in another GE, provided May isn't leading the Tories.

I'm not sure how many direct Tory to Labour switchers he'd attract to get himself across the line.

What can he offer them?

Nothing - he is a marxist
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,418
    Penny Mordaunt - decent appointment. Why no big reshuffle though - gutless. Boris has become a bad joke, and his time as a leadership threat is over. Ideal time to get rid.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited November 2017
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,836

FPT - it's always struck me that Andrew Cooper would be far happier in New Labour than serving the Conservatives.

He spent the EU campaign telling Cameron and Osborne what they wanted to hear, not what they needed to hear.
  • Options

FPT:
    @another_richard Yes, that Paul Dacre. They ‘pandered’ to him because he is a powerful and influential person in the press so they don’t want to get on his bad side, not because they share all his values.

I don’t think the Stephen Lawrence campaign is something younger voters associate with the Mail. I only knew about until much later after I’d accquited a strong dislike for the Mail. It is one of good things they’ve done though.

Social conservatism in this country is not really of the anti-abortion and anti-gay inclination (anymore) the way it is in the states. It’s much more centred on being anti-immigration, anti-multiculturalism, climate change sceptic, pro-Brexit and anti-PC with a scepticism towards academia. Well, we are already seeing what the agenda means in practice since we’re leaving the EU. Heaton-Harris already indicated what the agenda would look like re universities.

@HYUFD It’s not rubbish - there’s being scepticism towards immigration beyond the last decade, and a lot of that has to do right leaning press. The link I provided you earlier shows the public are happy to pay the higher taxes themselves. There is little evidence the Tories lost their core vote at the GE.

The uncontrolled immigration we have had, especially from the EU, over the last decade or two is responsible for the rise in concerns over it and the pressure it puts on housing, wages at the lower end and services.

The link you provided says nothing when you actually show people how much their tax bill will go up at the end of every month and how they will lose out on most of granny's inheritance. Plus of course the Tories are putting £8 billion more into the NHS over this parliament anyway. What healthcare needs is more choice and reform not a bottomless pit of money. Where the Tories lost voters it was mainly the dementia tax which was key.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Is every Brexit voter a loon?

No

But I was talking about the ones that are. Would it read better for you if I modified it like so?

.... I have sat here and watched the Brexit loons, who are a subset of undetermined size of the Brexit voters and people who support Leave, but not all Brexit and Leave voters as they also have a subset of indeterminate size who should not be classified as loons as they are nice people and jolly decent, and the ageing membership drag the Tory party past me and well over to the right. ....

Posts might get a bit lengthy....
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,737
    I thought they said it was up to us to come up with a solution?
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,426
    edited November 2017

He faithfully served the Tory party for years and helped take the Tory party from opposition to government to a majority.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

The Eden 1955-1957 government, the Heath 1970-1974 government, the Wilson/Callaghan 1994-1979 government, the Brown 2007-2010 governments were all far worse than this one and in most of those cases the economy in a far weaker state too.

No, they weren’t. This is the weakest cabinet, led by the weakest Prime Minister at least since the war.

• Options

What can he offer them?

He's offering me an immediate 10% payrise, while the Tories are offering to outsource my job to the AA and turn our Fire Stations into supermarkets. Whilst both offers are absolute bollox, the Corbyn one at least looks appealing on paper. That's how he'll get into number 10.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

We've not come up with a solution so far, so they are filling the void.

This is what happens when Mrs May fails to discuss our post Brexit future with the cabinet.
  • Options

Is every Brexit voter a loon?

No

But I was talking about the ones that are. Would it read better for you if I modified it like so?

.... I have sat here and watched the Brexit loons, who are a subset of undetermined size of the Brexit voters and people who support Leave, but not all Brexit and Leave voters as they also have a subset of indeterminate size who should not be classified as loons as they are nice people and jolly decent, and the ageing membership drag the Tory party past me and well over to the right. ....

Posts might get a bit lengthy....
    I appreciate the effort.
  • Options

For all the strife in the party I just do not see a GE nor how one would come about, though this could change with by elections but that may well effect all parties.

Labour in Wales are in real trouble, especially in North Wales, following the sad death of Carl Sargeant and a full independent inquiry could reveal many disturbing issues for labour going back some years

Extraordinarily May is the best the Tories have. That’s how bad they are. But they are up against Corbyn and so have every chance of winning the most seats at the next GE.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Really? When? March 2018? Because we need it by then.
  • Options

He faithfully served the Tory party for years and helped take the Tory party from opposition to government to a majority.
    Vastly overrated man who wouldn't tell Cameron what he needed to hear during the referendum.

I don't think I've seen a single tweet of his that isn't Guardianista.
  • Options
    Clever.

Theresa May today warns pro-European Tory rebels that she will not "tolerate" any attempts to undermine Brexit as she unveils plans to enshrine in law the date that Britain leaves the EU.

The Government last night tabled an amendment which formally commits Britain to leaving the European Union at 11pm on 29 March, 2019 ahead of a debate and vote in the Commons next week.

The amendment will effectively force pro-European MPs to publicly declare if they oppose leaving the European Union in March 2019.

Writing in The Telegraph, the Prime Minister warns MPs that they must not use the passage of the EU withdrawal bill through Parliament over the next month to try to "slow down or stop" Brexit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/09/exclusive-theresa-may-warns-pro-eu-tory-rebels-will-not-tolerate/
  • Options

What can he offer them?

He's offering me an immediate 10% payrise, while the Tories are offering to outsource my job to the AA and turn our Fire Stations into supermarkets. Whilst both offers are absolute bollox, the Corbyn one at least looks appealing on paper. That's how he'll get into number 10.
    You are not going to fall for Corbyn's funny money are you
  • Options

Extraordinarily May is the best the Tories have. That’s how bad they are. But they are up against Corbyn and so have every chance of winning the most seats at the next GE.

I think Davis would do a shade better than May and at least take the fight to Labour, the others would probably do worse.

JRM would provide interest but is not ready for leadership yet.
  • Options
    On topic forget VI, Dave always led on best PM ratings even when Labour were ahead by 15%.

I'm not sure Mrs May has reservoirs of likeness and competence that Dave had to sustain that.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

March 2019 you mean? Actually given the 2 year transition period May has proposed not even then. All we need is some moves towards one by then.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2017
    fpt;
    HYUFD said:

Pong said:

HYUFD said:

Rightwingers have been told forever to accept uncontrolled immigration, socially liberal policies, ever closer integration of the UK into the European Union etc instead of fighting for what they believe in too. The right may have won the economic war in large part but the left clearly won the culture war, someone like JRM or even Davis at least stands up for traditional conservative values.

The Tories did not 'mobilise the right' that is the whole point, May's biggest mistake was tax raising plans like the disastrous 'dementia tax' rather than a clear tax cutting agenda.
    To illustrate the point voters in all parties, not just Tories, think inheritance tax is 'unfair.'
    https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/03/19/inheritance-tax-most-unfair/
    Yet the Tories wanted to take people's house if they needed personal care for dementia, a total betrayal of core conservative principles.

Labour Leavers voted Leave to reduce immigration, Corbyn promised to end free movement and do that so they were free to vote Labour to protest against austerity, if Corbyn ends up leaving free movement in place they are back in play for the Tories.

Who should pay for peoples end of life care, if not themselves/their family?

The dementia tax is conservatism. The closer to the individual/family paying for 100% of their own care costs, the purer the conservatism.

True conservatism demands that people liquidate their own assets rather than rely on others via the state.
    People should pay for future care for social insurance, the cluse is in the title,

The dementia tax was the exact opposite of conservatism, theft by the state of the core family asset.

Of course resentful leftists like you liked it but it certainly is not conservative.
    So you're arguing for compulsory social insurance?

That's not conservatism, either.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    edited November 2017
    2012 was two years on from the previous election. Obvious question, but why would you expect similar polling figures to then right now, when we're just 6 months on from the previous election?

Polls just don't move that soon after an election -- that would mean people admitting they got their own decision wrong when they cast their vote in June, and the British people (God love them) don't do that so quickly.
  • Options
    Of relevance to the WH market on the previous thread:
    https://twitter.com/SunPolitics/status/928746522501578752
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287

HYUFD said:

No, they weren’t. This is the weakest cabinet, led by the weakest Prime Minister at least since the war.

Wilson's Government 1969-70 fell apart, even though there were some very able people in Cabinet (who hated each other enough to leak to the press). Not sure it quite matched the drift of MacMillan in 1963.
  • Options

That was Crosby not Cooper.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Having watched the UK government at close quareters for a number of months now the EU27 may have decided it is not capable of anything much at all.

• Options

HYUFD said:

No it isn't, the country was in a far worse state in the 70s or even the late 2000s.
  • Options
    Looks like the Leavers are after Sir Alan Duncan.

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/928751276694925312
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

He spent the EU campaign telling Cameron and Osborne what they wanted to hear, not what they needed to hear.
    I loved his "and here are my final tweaks to my method showing Remain will win by 10%" published on the morning of polling day. At that time, I thought Remain would win by 52-48, but I still laughed.
  • Options
    JonathanDJonathanD Posts: 2,400
    The EU gutting our country under our noses.

Great position the patriotic brexiters have put us into.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    dr_spyn said:

HYUFD said:

Wilson's Government 1969-70 fell apart, even though there were some very able people in Cabinet (who hated each other enough to leak to the press). Not sure it quite matched the drift of MacMillan in 1963.
    What's odd is how many able people there were in British politics in the Sixties and Seventies, yet how poor most governments were.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,965

If the argument is about competence, Corbyn’s opportunities to score are limited.

Passion? Fairness? Concern? Corbyn outclasses May on all of these. But he has no track record on competence: arguably it’s a negative for him too.

The problem with competence is it is a binary contest atm.
    Having no track record on competence is a not a handicap if your opponent has a record of nothing but incompetence.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,058

Clever.

Theresa May today warns pro-European Tory rebels that she will not "tolerate" any attempts to undermine Brexit as she unveils plans to enshrine in law the date that Britain leaves the EU.

The Government last night tabled an amendment which formally commits Britain to leaving the European Union at 11pm on 29 March, 2019 ahead of a debate and vote in the Commons next week.

The amendment will effectively force pro-European MPs to publicly declare if they oppose leaving the European Union in March 2019.

Writing in The Telegraph, the Prime Minister warns MPs that they must not use the passage of the EU withdrawal bill through Parliament over the next month to try to "slow down or stop" Brexit.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/09/exclusive-theresa-may-warns-pro-eu-tory-rebels-will-not-tolerate/

Will she let the DUP know whether they are voting for an all-island solution in advance?
  • Options

As Stephen Bush has said, promoting the "young guns" might be in the Tories' long-term interests, but it's not in Theresa May's own personal interests. Her biggest asset right now is that all the alternatives to her look even worse, so why would she give some of these newbies an opportunity to establish themselves and thereby threaten her position?
  • Options

On topic forget VI, Dave always led on best PM ratings even when Labour were ahead by 15%.

I'm not sure Mrs May has reservoirs of likeness and competence that Dave had to sustain that.

I was a great supporter of David Cameron and he is a loss but we are where we are and for all her faults, and she has many, TM is the one most likely to achieve a deal that will be acceptable, unless she falls and then all bets are off
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it isn't, the country was in a far worse state in the 70s or even the late 2000s.

We’ll have to agree to disagree. The idea of Mrs May and her cabinet having to deal with the financial meltdown confronting Gordon Brown and co in 2008 is terrifying. They can’t even agree on what kind of post-Brexit relationship they want with the EU!

• Options

Vastly overrated man who wouldn't tell Cameron what he needed to hear during the referendum.

I rate him, I suspect he still wakes up each night feeling sick about his referendum polling and advice.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

FPT:

The uncontrolled immigration we have had, especially from the EU, over the last decade or two is responsible for the rise in concerns over it and the pressure it puts on housing, wages at the lower end and services.

The link you provided says nothing when you actually show people how much their tax bill will go up at the end of every month and how they will lose out on most of granny's inheritance. Plus of course the Tories are putting £8 billion more into the NHS over this parliament anyway. What healthcare needs is more choice and reform not a bottomless pit of money. Where the Tories lost voters it was mainly the dementia tax which was key.
    As I said before voters are always concerned about immigration no matter what. Even if immigration had been much lower, voters would still be concerned.

Re the link, so you don’t believe voters then. They obviously know when they respond that their tax bill will go up, they don’t need it to actually happen.

The dementia tax was the start of Tory campaign going all tits up, but the reasons why many did not vote Tory go beyond that. Don’t fight the 2017 GE whenever the next GE is.
  • Options

Mate, you need to let him go. He just wasn't that into you.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

What can he offer them?

There are other ways than direct switchers:

1) Tory voters may stay at home, as they did in 97
    2) Previous non voters may turn out for Labour in greater numbers. They did in June, but there is potential for more.
    3) Demographic change and the grim reaper may replace Tory voters with Labour ones.
    4) Third parties may be squeezed further.
    5) Tory voters may switch to minority parties.
    6) All of the above in combination.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

What can he offer them?

Faced with two absurd propositions, surely most people would take the more attractive one?
  • Options

Gove is the best. And I think Hunt could do a better job too.

The issue is whether they could rehabilitate their image with the public, but it'd be hard to be worse than May's.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

March 2019 you mean? Actually given the 2 year transition period May has proposed not even then. All we need is some moves towards one by then.

We leave in March 2019, we need a deal agreed way before then.

• Options

Yay, someone's been listening to my 'Promote Mercer and Tugendhat' meme.
  • Options
    Heseltine coming close to saying he hopes Corbyn wins the next election on Newsnight.
  • Options

I'm like Queen Victoria after Prince Albert died.

I'm hoping Johnny Mercer or Tom Tugendhat are my John Brown.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

I rate him, I suspect he still wakes up each night feeling sick about his referendum polling and advice.
    Genuine question: in the sense of not having it because it might not go to plan?
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Danny565 said:

Heseltine coming close to saying he hopes Corbyn wins the next election on Newsnight.

Heseltine of course really wanted Kinnock to win in 1992 too so he could succeed Major.
  • Options

I'm like Queen Victoria after Prince Albert died.

I'm hoping Johnny Mercer or Tom Tugendhat are my John Brown.
    They'll probably turn into a poundshop Gordon Brown......
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No we don't and we won't, we start a transition deal for 2 years in all likelihood in April 2019 given we are accepting continued free movement and ECJ jurisdiction in that period.

A FTA will take a number of years to negotiate, the main thing is to get started on it.
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 332
    If Carwyn Jones were to resign then a new First Minister would have to be voted on by the Senedd. At the moment Labour have 27 seats, so even with Kirsty Williams and Lord Elis-Thomas there's no majority for a Labour AM to become First Minister. While a Plaid/Tory/UKIP coalition would be fascinating to watch, I can't see Welsh Labour eager to give up governing that easily. Would Jones already have resigned but for that?
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595
    edited November 2017
    Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

BBC on Boris showed an Iranian commentator saying that Boris did misspeak and Iran are taking advantage but ironically the story has created news World wide and highlighted the injustice of the position and that Iran is coming under pressure from across the World to release the lady.

Boris is not that much of a genius to have engineered this is he

QTWTAIN.

If nothing else, even if it was, and it worked, he would then not ever be able to do it again, or many other things.

Boris is a bit like Brexit.

If she gets a longer sentence, it will be "Because of Boris".

If she gets released, it will be "Despite Boris".

Eh, how would that not be justified? I don't think there was even the possibility of her getting a longer sentence before Boris made his comment.
    Fresh charges had already been made last month.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41558956

Do people seriously believe Tehran needed Boris's comments to keep her in jail? She's a political hostage and will be held until Iran decides it is in its interest to release her. Boris unfortunately gave the Iranians an opportunity to embarrass the government but let's not pretend that he is in any way responsible for her imprisonment.

• Options
    IanB2 said:

What can he offer them?

Faced with two absurd propositions, surely most people would take the more attractive one?
    And have Marxists and the Unions running the Country
  • Options

Gove is the best. And I think Hunt could do a better job too.

The issue is whether they could rehabilitate their image with the public, but it'd be hard to be worse than May's.
    Gove is electoral poison, Hunt little better. Davis as PM (post Brexit), Gove as Chancellor, Hunt as Foreign Secretary, Boris as Chairman would be a far better combination.
  • Options
    Entirely predictable but expect many of their readers are pro Brexit
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree. The idea of Mrs May and her cabinet having to deal with the financial meltdown confronting Gordon Brown and co in 2008 is terrifying. They can’t even agree on what kind of post-Brexit relationship they want with the EU!

Brown of course left the lax regulations in place that allowed the Crash, bailed out every bank which asked and still left unemployment of almost 10% by 2010.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Any news from Thamesfield?
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No I mean 2018. By 2019 it will be far, far too late.

I am curious - what sector do you work in? Govt? Business? Law? IT? Medicine?
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667

What on earth has that got to do with it?!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

IanB2 said:

What can he offer them?

Workers Brexit rather than Bosses Brexit?

Suits me.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

Genuine question: in the sense of not having it because it might not go to plan?
    The strategy to win it.

1) They thought what won them a majority in 2015 would win them the referendum (ie the economy and Dave's leadership)

2) Not going blue on blue

3) Scheduling the referendum for when they did (they thought later would see the Parliament dominated by Brexit, oh the irony and the result might be skewed by government mid term unpopularity)
  • Options
    DM_AndyDM_Andy Posts: 332

Surely being a Brexiteer isn't a defence against simple incompetence? BJ can always be replaced by another Brexiteer who might take being Foreign Secretary more seriously.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No we don't and we won't, we start a transition deal for 2 years in all likelihood in April 2019 given we are accepting continued free movement and ECJ jurisdiction in that period.

A FTA will take a number of years to negotiate, the main thing is to get started on it.

Er, we do. Agreeing a transitional deal will still be agreeing a deal. And anything agreed has to be signed off by the European parliament and the member states. Even the UK parliament might need a say. That brings the deadline forward a long way from 29th March 2019. The final deal will clearly take much longer to do, which may mean a series of transitional ones - each largely dictated by the EU27.

• Options

Do you think everyone who voted for Brexit likes Boris?
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

No surprise there.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

What can he offer them?

Even were that true, it would be a vast improvement on the current shambles!
  • Options

HYUFD said:

FPT:

As I said before voters are always concerned about immigration no matter what. Even if immigration had been much lower, voters would still be concerned.

Re the link, so you don’t believe voters then. They obviously know when they respond that their tax bill will go up, they don’t need it to actually happen.

The dementia tax was the start of Tory campaign going all tits up, but the reasons why many did not vote Tory go beyond that. Don’t fight the 2017 GE whenever the next GE is.
    Had Blair imposed transition controls in 2004 beyond the far right it would not have been a top priority for most voters.

As the poll I linked to showed most voters want inheritance tax abolished, let alone going up. The only viable way would be a specific increase in National Insurance for the NHS.

The dementia tax was a betrayal of core Tory voters.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

IanB2 said:

What can he offer them?

I’d agree but sadly you have to be pushing 50 to meaningfully remember how crap the 70’s were.

Reality would be confronted in the same way a fly confronts a windscreen on the motorway and realises it’s made a mistake as its rear end passes through its brains, but if you’re 25 you probably don’t see it.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it will not.

I work in Records Management and Information Governance but that of course has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the argument in question.

We are leaving in March 2019, we then have a 2 year transition period and we negotiate the FTA pre Brexit and through the transition. There is no way a full FTA with the EU will be agreed in 2 years as Canada showed but progress can be made on it.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Brown of course left the lax regulations in place that allowed the Crash, bailed out every bank which asked and still left unemployment of almost 10% by 2010.

Yep - but he helped ensure the global economy did not collapse. Thank God it was him there, with Darling and Balls alongside, rather than Mrs May and her utterly dysfunctional cabinet.

• Options
    Bit unsure what democratic mandate gives Lord Kerr the authority to make demands of the PM.
  • Options

welshowl said:

The strategy to win it.

1) They thought what won them a majority in 2015 would win them the referendum (ie the economy and Dave's leadership)

2) Not going blue on blue

3) Scheduling the referendum for when they did (they thought later would see the Parliament dominated by Brexit, oh the irony and the result might be skewed by government mid term unpopularity)
    Ok thanks.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

IanB2 said:

What can he offer them?

I’d agree but sadly you have to be pushing 50 to meaningfully remember how crap the 70’s were.

Reality would be confronted in the same way a fly confronts a windscreen on the motorway and realises it’s made a mistake as its rear end passes through its brains, but if you’re 25 you probably don’t see it.
    I am over 50 and remember how crap the 70s were but the crappiest part by far (3 day week, schedule of power cuts etc.) was while Heath was in power - which Tories conveniently forget.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

I was a great supporter of David Cameron and he is a loss but we are where we are and for all her faults, and she has many, TM is the one most likely to achieve a deal that will be acceptable, unless she falls and then all bets are off
    You sound like George Galloway on May ." I salute your courage , your strength your indefatigability , and I want to know we are with you."
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

No it will not.

I work in Information Governance but that of course has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the argument in question.

We are leaving in March 2019, we then have a 2 year transition period and we negotiate the FTA pre Brexit and through the transition. There is no way a full FTA with the EU will be agreed in 2 years as Canada showed but progress can be made on it.

We only have a transition period if the EU agrees it. There is a process to be gone through for that to happen. That process needs to begin well before March 2019.

• Options
    I think it would make a mockery of A 50 if it could served and revoked unilaterally. Any member state or group of member states, could then do so, as a bargaining tool.
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Clever.

Will she let the DUP know whether they are voting for an all-island solution in advance?
    Has there been any polling done recently in Northern Ireland?

I ask because I heard it voiced this evening that the DUP could ditch the May government at any time, once they felt their own position was under threat.

Presumably the DUP cannot avoid being contaminated by their association with this totally incompetent Conservative government.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited November 2017
    welshowl said:

IanB2 said:

What can he offer them?

Where does this silly idea come from that you have to actually live through a particular time to know and understand it? Anyone heard of an academic subject by the name of "history"?
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

welshowl said:

IanB2 said:

What can he offer them?

I am over 50 and remember how crap the 70s were but the crappiest part by far (3 day week, schedule of power cuts etc.) was while Heath was in power - which Tories conveniently forget.
    Nothing to do with the unions, no sireeee.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Yep - but he helped ensure the global economy did not collapse. Thank God it was him there, with Darling and Balls alongside, rather than Mrs May and her utterly dysfunctional cabinet.

Hear-hear!
  • Options

welshowl said:

IanB2 said:

What can he offer them?

The crappest part was the winter of discontent. It was also politically the most important.
This discussion has been closed.