Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corporeal asks: Was this the best possible political result

SystemSystem Posts: 11,016
edited August 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Corporeal asks: Was this the best possible political result for David Cameron?

Government defeats in House of Commons vote are usually a blow to the sitting Prime Minister, leaving a scar of weakness, and requiring a scramble to reformulate policy to account for the set-back and fill the gap left by the defeated motion. A coalition government adds another level of questions about what this means in terms of unity.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    TapestryTapestry Posts: 153
    Opposition to bombing Syria in Britain has triggered a similar rebellion against Obama in the US. That's where the issue will be decided. If news networks would start carrying the story that the rebels admit they let off the chemical attack, the credibility of all the leaders will be finished. It's as if this was 2003 and Iraq was being discussed, and BLair and Campbell had been found out lying. It was tactfully called a 'dodgy dossier'. This time people are less forgiving of political leaders who want war telling lies. We've all had enough of them playing for the bankers and the military industrial complex.
  • Options
    Is it true there's a lot in common (eg. social attitudes) between the right-wing Tory "Turnip Taliban" and their middle-east namesakes? Is that why they are so eager for Syria to fall to AQ and its allies?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,149
    We'll see when we get some polling through, but I'd expect Cameron's personal ratings to drop and Ed Miliband's to perk up. The former would be dangerous for Cameron (only 46 discontented MPs have to sign a private letter before he has to face a confidence vote) and the latter would be a great help to Miliband in breaking the narrative "Ed is crap" vicious cycle.

The person who really seems to have got off lightly is Nick Clegg. The coalition situation was awkward and his party was horribly divided, but he seems to have got through it without anybody noticing. But again, we'll have to see some polling to know for sure.
  • Options
    perdixperdix Posts: 1,806
    Tapestry said:

Opposition to bombing Syria in Britain has triggered a similar rebellion against Obama in the US. That's where the issue will be decided. If news networks would start carrying the story that the rebels admit they let off the chemical attack, the credibility of all the leaders will be finished. It's as if this was 2003 and Iraq was being discussed, and BLair and Campbell had been found out lying. It was tactfully called a 'dodgy dossier'. This time people are less forgiving of political leaders who want war telling lies. We've all had enough of them playing for the bankers and the military industrial complex.

We don't want political leaders telling lies, neither do we want commentators espousing ridiculous conspiracy theories.

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    FPT

AveryLP said:

Leaving aside the last paragraph, that seems like a sensible non-violent solution if it can be made to work. And that conditional will be the problem: it may not work.

Some potential problems:
    1) Assad does not want to play ball at all. In which case we try to persuade him as you mention.
    2) Assad obfuscates the process and plays for time until the war is over.
    3) The practical issues of getting suitable foreign teams into the areas the chemical weapons are, along with their equipment, and ensuring their safety in an active war zone.
    4) How confident can we be that he has handed over all his special weapons for destruction? How much knowledge do we have of facilities, amounts, types and delivery mechanisms?
    5) It assumes Assad has full control of such weapons.
    6) It does nothing about any chemical weapons that the rebels may have.

Basically it'll have all the problem the Iraqi weapons inspectors had, with the added complication of having to work in an active warzone.

That doesn't mean that it shouldn't be attempted. I wonder what our diplomatic channels with Assad currently are?
    Josias

It is wrong to assume that Russia is opposing all attempts by the western powers to resolve the Syrian Civil War.

Russia has co-operated by persuading and assisting the Assad regime reduce its chemical weapons facilities from five locations to two more easily guarded and safer locations. Russia has also held back from delivering upgraded weapons and military hardware.

So all sides are trying to de-escalate the war and to diminish the risk of chemical weapons falling into the the wrong hands and of leaking outside the country and warzone to become used in international terrorism.

Assad may well be prepared, in exchange for being bombed by the US, for Russia to 'assist' his regime decommission chemical weapons.

My fear is that Obama is solely interested in a 'punish and deter' strike which gets him off the hook of Assad crossing his 'red line' rather than pursuing a more complex strategy aimed at a negotiated solution.

To be fair to Obama though, Putin is not prepared to go the extra distance which would accelerate a negotiated settlement.

Obama may feel that the whole issue needs the shock of a military strike to release the diplomacy deadlock.
  • Options
    perdix said:

Tapestry said:

We don't want political leaders telling lies, neither do we want commentators espousing ridiculous conspiracy theories.

Speak for yourself. Tapestry's conspiracy theories are a fine example of the genre, and Tapestry is patient and friendly even when everybody is taking the piss.
  • Options
    Very good article Corporeal. Probably a very accurate reflection of opinion. Personally I am strongly opposed to intervention, am generally very anti-Cameron but think he comes out of this episode very well indeed (issues of party management aside).

I actually wonder if, in the long run, he might not end up rather grateful to those who screwed up his party management on Thursday night.

• Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,940
    AveryLP said:

Josias

It is wrong to assume that Russia is opposing all attempts by the western powers to resolve the Syrian Civil War.

Russia has co-operated by persuading and assisting the Assad regime reduce its chemical weapons facilities from five locations to two more easily guarded and safer locations. Russia has also held back from delivering upgraded weapons and military hardware.

So all sides are trying to de-escalate the war and to diminish the risk of chemical weapons falling into the the wrong hands and of leaking outside the country and warzone to become used in international terrorism.

Assad may well be prepared, in exchange for being bombed by the US, for Russia to 'assist' his regime decommission chemical weapons.

My fear is that Obama is solely interested in a 'punish and deter' strike which gets him off the hook of Assad crossing his 'red line' rather than pursuing a more complex strategy aimed at a negotiated solution.

To be fair to Obama though, Putin is not prepared to go the extra distance which would accelerate a negotiated settlement.

Obama may feel that the whole issue needs the shock of a military strike to release the diplomacy deadlock.

All true enough, although I am very suspicious of Russia's motives (as, to be fair, they are of ours). Such a deal would have to guarantee Russia's significant interests in Syria, and that can probably only be done by propping up Assad. Which is what they've been doing.

It is a shame that such approaches were not tried near the start of the civil war. However, I'm not sure the existential crisis facing Assad and his regime would allow such an approach now.

If he does not voluntarily get rid of the special weapons, then Assad needs to know that the risks of using chemical weapons are greater than the tactical advantages he gets from using them.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,299
    It's surprising how small a hit Dave has taken on this, considering that on Thursday night his resignation was even mooted. As tim pointed out, they probably knew they didn't have the numbers 24 hours before, so a good spin operation was already in place for Friday. (Having Osborne shift the blame on to Tony Blair, for example, was a master stroke.) And Miliband's hand in the debacle - through vacillation or opportunism, you choose which - has also shifted attention.
  • Options
    edited August 2013

Very good article Corporeal. Probably a very accurate reflection of opinion. Personally I am strongly opposed to intervention, am generally very anti-Cameron but think he comes out of this episode very well indeed (issues of party management aside).

I actually wonder if, in the long run, he might not end up rather grateful to those who screwed up his party management on Thursday night.

RT

Reputational loss or gain to the two political leaders is relatively insignificant compared to the real loss from Thursday's vote which is to the momentum of diplomatic efforts to resolve the Syrian Civil War.

The problem with global superpowers is that they tend rely only only their ability to 'negotiate from strength'. The European powers are far more nuanced in their approach to diplomacy and put as much faith in an ability to persuade as they do in the power to coerce.

What the international community lost on Thursday was the UK's proactive role as a skillful broker: shown at its best in the Libyan intervention.

In light of that outcome, the fallout on domestic politics seems rather irrelevant.

• Options

And Miliband's hand in the debacle - through vacillation or opportunism, you choose which - has also shifted attention.

SD

Are we allowed to choose both?

• Options
    AveryLP said:

RT

Reputational loss or gain to the two political leaders is relatively insignificant compared to the real loss from Thursday's vote which is to the momentum of diplomatic efforts to resolve the Syrian Civil War.

The problem with global superpowers is that they tend rely only only their ability to 'negotiate from strength'. The European powers are far more nuanced in their approach to diplomacy and put as much faith in an ability to persuade as they do in the power to coerce.

What the international community lost on Thursday was the UK's proactive role as a skillful broker: shown at its best in the Libyan intervention.

In light of that outcome, the fallout on domestic politics seems rather irrelevant.

Obviously I disagree with you entirely. The result on Thursday night was a great victory for Parliament and a great victory for the Syrian civilian population. Any other result would have confirmed our belief in the apparent Blair doctrine of hypocritical partisanship based upon dubious moral positions.

I am much happier that we are now having to consider persuasion rather than coercion if only for the reason that coercion would have seen us killing a lot of innocent people without achieving any significant resolution. We have tried this before and the world is full of countries trying to build themselves after one of our western moral crusades. It is time to recognise that, as David posted in his previous thread, sometimes doing nothing (militarily at least) is the least worst option.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,597
    If Cameron knew in advance that we was going to lose the vote, he could have accepted the Labour amendment and been assured of a big majority. However, he chose not to. That suggests that he saw lesser political damage in losing the vote that accepting the amendment - and that he didn't really want to be able to launch military action. However, this all starts with an 'if'.
  • Options
    http://the-tap.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/camerons-wheels-falling-off-rebels.html

It is not I, dear Perdix, but the father of a rebel fighter who was poisoned by the gas.
  • Options
    MonikerDiCanioMonikerDiCanio Posts: 5,792
    edited August 2013

If Cameron knew in advance that we was going to lose the vote, he could have accepted the Labour amendment and been assured of a big majority. However, he chose not to. That suggests that he saw lesser political damage in losing the vote that accepting the amendment - and that he didn't really want to be able to launch military action. However, this all starts with an 'if'.

I agree with your theory. Cameron seemed very relieved on Friday morning. He'd painted himself in a corner with his bellicose rhetoric and should be thankful to Miliband for his lucky escape.

• Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,299

I agree with your theory. Cameron seemed very releaved on Friday morning. He'd painted himself in a corner with his bellicose rhetoric and should be thankful to Miliband for his lucky escape.

The Syrian situation has been rumbling on for ages. You could argue that this was the last of Lynton's barnacles to be scraped off. If so, then Miliband has been played like a fiddle.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    Good afternoon, everyone.

Nice to see Mr. Tapestry back on.

It may be the best result for Cameron, but only time will tell.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    As I have posted before , it is not the right thing for a Prime Minister not only but particularly in foreign affairs to slavishly follow opinion polls and do whatever the current majority opinion is .
    It is the primary job of a Prime Minister to lead the country and persuade the country that what he is proposing is the correct course of action . If a PM does not do this we may as well have an incompetent such as Farage as PM governing by Opinion Poll and following no principles of wither himself or his party .
    Unfortunately , last week , Cameron failed to persuade the vast majority of the country and a significant number of his own MP's that his policy on Syria was the correct one .
    For myself , I start from a negative view of Britain taking part in military action against Assad ( primarily because the internal opposition in Syria is just as repulsive ) but I am open to persuasion .
    For these reasons I disagree with Corporeal that there is some sort of silver lining to Cameron's defeat on Thursday . The debate and defeat exposed him as a weak leader with insufficient strength to put forward a strong enough case to even persuade his own MP's that it was the correct policy .
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    edited August 2013

As I have posted before , it is not the right thing for a Prime Minister not only but particularly in foreign affairs to slavishly follow opinion polls and do whatever the current majority opinion is .
    It is the primary job of a Prime Minister to lead the country and persuade the country that what he is proposing is the correct course of action . If a PM does not do this we may as well have an incompetent such as Farage as PM governing by Opinion Poll and following no principles of wither himself or his party .
    Unfortunately , last week , Cameron failed to persuade the vast majority of the country and a significant number of his own MP's that his policy on Syria was the correct one .
    For myself , I start from a negative view of Britain taking part in military action against Assad ( primarily because the internal opposition in Syria is just as repulsive ) but I am open to persuasion .
    For these reasons I disagree with Corporeal that there is some sort of silver lining to Cameron's defeat on Thursday . The debate and defeat exposed him as a weak leader with insufficient strength to put forward a strong enough case to even persuade his own MP's that it was the correct policy .

Your leader finished off the debate (clegg) and miliband lost the labour motion,all three are in the same position of weak leaders with Cameron the best of a bad bunch.
  • Options

Your leader finished of the debate (clegg) and miliband lost the labour motion,all three are in the same position of weak leaders with Cameron the best of a bad bunch.
    You sort-of expect the leader of the opposition to lose their motions.
  • Options

I agree with your theory. Cameron seemed very releaved on Friday morning. He'd painted himself in a corner with his bellicose rhetoric and should be thankful to Miliband for his lucky escape.

The Syrian situation has been rumbling on for ages. You could argue that this was the last of Lynton's barnacles to be scraped off. If so, then Miliband has been played like a fiddle.
    I'd guess that Cameron and Miliband hatched the escape plan together. They were both in tight spots from which they've now freed themselves.

• Options
    edited August 2013

Your leader finished of the debate (clegg) and miliband lost the labour motion,all three are in the same position of weak leaders with Cameron the best of a bad bunch.
    If Cameron had won the government motion,then the debate would have been on weak miliband and all his missing MP's from the labour motion and threats of resignation in shadow cabinet.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Your leader finished off the debate (clegg) and miliband lost the labour motion,all three are in the same position of weak leaders with Cameron the best of a bad bunch.
    Cameron is the Prime minister , he opened the debate . That was his opportunity to persuade , he failed and therefore was the worst of the three leaders .
  • Options

Cameron is the Prime minister , he opened the debate . That was his opportunity to persuade , he failed and therefore was the worst of the three leaders .
    And your leader couldn't persuade as well,could he mark.

• Options
    edited August 2013

Mark

It seems you only make one sensible post a year and, as you did it yesterday, we are going to have to wait another 364 days for your next.

There was no failure of Cameron's argument. His argument had been accepted by a majority of the house probably long before he ever made it.

The failure was in the management of proceedings.

A failure by Cameron to whip his MPs effectively.

A failure by Miliband to make up his mind, keep his word and to subordinate the interests of his party to those of his country.

I can't think why you are not praising your own Leader, who came out of last week smelling discretely sweet. To get all but nine of his MPs to vote for military intervention was a triumph unprecedented in the annals of his party.

None of the leaders got what they wanted but at least Clegg didn't make a mess of his own role.

• Options

If Cameron had won the government motion,then the debate would have been on weak miliband and all his missing MP's from the labour motion and threats of resignation in shadow cabinet.

I don't think the missing MPs and things would have been an issue - opposition loses vote is a dog-bites-man story - but the resignation would have got a lot more play. Likewise the LibDem divisions, particularly Farron.
  • Options

I don't think the missing MPs and things would have been an issue - opposition loses vote is a dog-bites-man story - but the resignation would have got a lot more play. Likewise the LibDem divisions, particularly Farron.
    The missing MP's were the issue at the time for labour and ed was been laughed at,then we had the bigger laugh of the government motion defeat ;-)

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited August 2013
    I agree with Mark Senior's excellent post.

It is too easy to compare every stage of this with Blair's unhappy sojourn into Iraq.

For all the failure of that expedition no one can criticize his attempts to persuade a skeptical public

He put himself through every wringer in order to persuade. It was even called his 'masochist strategy'

He did the same in parliament and secured a healthy majority.

Cameron by contrast has been arrogant and cavalier.

He hasn't bothered to persuade the public and as for MPs =he failed to persuade even with his own.

3/10. Time to pull his socks up
  • Options
    TwistedFireStopperTwistedFireStopper Posts: 2,538
    edited August 2013
    As David Herdson pointed out previously, no matter how it happened, the right result was achieved, who cares that Cameron, Milliband and Clegg have been shown up for what they are, weak, partisan, disconnected little shits?
  • Options
    Britain sidelined as US plans strikes on Syria with support of 'oldest ally' France
    Defence Secretary Philip Hammond admitted it would be difficult for Britain's military to watch the French take its place.

He told Channel 4 News: "Seeing the Americans working with the French while we stand and watch will not be a comfortable place."
    http://www.standard.co.uk/news/politics/britain-sidelined-as-us-plans-strikes-on-syria-with-support-of-oldest-ally-france-8792615.html
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Roger said:

It is too easy to compare every stage of this with Blair's unhappy sojourn into Iraq.

For all the failure of that expedition no one can criticize his attempts to persuade a skeptical public

He put himself through every wringer in order to persuade. It was even called his 'masochist strategy'

He hasn't bothered to persuade the public and as for MPs =he failed to persuade even with his own.

Here is the fallout for domestic politics, Roger.

The Conservatives need a new chief whip and improved party discipline.

Labour needs a new Leader whom the country can trust.

The Lib Dems need its activists to speak up for its Leader.

• Options
    "It's surprising how small a hit Dave has taken on this, considering that on Thursday night his resignation was even mooted"

The power of the press.
  • Options
    Obama is facing a similar revolt from Congress as Cameron from Parliament.
    The French might have to go in alone.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382

As David Herdson pointed out previously, no matter how it happened, the right result was achieved, who cares that Cameron, Milliband and Clegg have been shown up for what they are, weak, partisan, disconnected little shits?

Agreed

However both amendments did not rule out intervention.

Cameron did not have to throw the towel in so quick if he believed his case.

The same for Miliband and Clegg.

• Options
    TimT2TimT2 Posts: 45
    @ Avery LP "Obama may feel that the whole issue needs the shock of a military strike to release the diplomacy deadlock."

I think this may be being too kind to Obama. To be fair, how to respond to the CW attack is a very difficult conundrum. But as some wag has noted on twitter, what message does saying you are using military action to send a message send?

Anthony Cordesman has written an excellent series of articles on the options (and missed opportunities along the way), one of which I link below. In one, which I cannot find, he suggests that the CW issue is the wrong 'red line'. While this scale of use of CW should be a come to Jesus moment for the international community in defence of international law (why sign treaties if there is no punishment for those who blatantly breach them and who gain a military advantage by having others disarm and do not do so themselves), there is a genuine question to be asked as to why these 1000+ deaths are more deserving of punishment than the preceding 100,000+.

http://csis.org/publication/choosing-right-options-syria
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    Roger said:

Gosh - what a joker - are you for real?
  • Options
    TimT2 said:

@ Avery LP "Obama may feel that the whole issue needs the shock of a military strike to release the diplomacy deadlock."

I think this may be being too kind to Obama. To be fair, how to respond to the CW attack is a very difficult conundrum. But as some wag has noted on twitter, what message does saying you are using military action to send a message send?

Anthony Cordesman has written an excellent series of articles on the options (and missed opportunities along the way), one of which I link below. In one, which I cannot find, he suggests that the CW issue is the wrong 'red line'. While this scale of use of CW should be a come to Jesus moment for the international community in defence of international law (why sign treaties if there is no punishment for those who blatantly breach them and who gain a military advantage by having others disarm and do not do so themselves), there is a genuine question to be asked as to why these 1000+ deaths are more deserving of punishment than the preceding 100,000+.

http://csis.org/publication/choosing-right-options-syria

Just before I read the Cordesman article, a big welcome back.

Your unique expertise is much needed by PB in its current deliberations.

The world would be a safer place by far if PB were to make up its collective mind on the basis of expert advice and sound reasoning.

• Options
    Roger said:

I see you have returned to form Roger in being fundamentally wrong on every point in that posting. To try and claim that Blair was the more democratic when he forced, bullied and lied his way to his goal is a complete travesty of the truth.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    http://blogs.channel4.com/gary-gibbon-on-politics/g8syria-obama-silent-and-cameron-light-on-support/23326

Nothing seems to have changed since the G8 in June .

One EU member diplomatic source said the prime minister looked like he’d been trying, along with President Hollande, to get President Obama to sign up to arms for Syria, only to discover he couldn’t deliver anything himself – it all sounded a bit like a man who drags his friend to the bar only to discover he’s got no money himself to buy a round. - See more at: http://blogs.channel4.com/gary-gibbon-on-politics/g8syria-obama-silent-and-cameron-light-on-support/23326#sthash.QZlexQsH.dpuf
  • Options
    Tapestry said:
    Actually for once it does look like this is a reliable source as far as the reporter himself goes. The question of course is how reliable his sources are and there is no way for us to judge that.
  • Options
    MrJonesMrJones Posts: 3,523
    There is no moral case for intervening in Syria that doesn't include the entirely foreseeable consequences of our glorious cannibal allies being let loose on the western edge of Syria.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Syria_Ethno-religious_composition..jpg

The pro-interventionists completely ignoring this simple fact shows they are not interested in the moral case. They can't even admit this aspect of the problem exists because they know if they do it blows their moral case out of the water.

This includes the BBC who - surprisingly to me - seem to have decided on full-on war propaganda.
  • Options
    Y0kelY0kel Posts: 2,307
    Syria: Quick updates.

Quite a committee has turned up at the White House this morning. Everyone you'd expect in fact. Calls with Congress due shortly.

For the record, Night time arrives in Damascus about 7.30-8pm local time, we are a couple hours behind.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650

Opposition leaders don`t have majorities and are not expected to win their votes.So try to incorporate atleast a bit of sense into your posts!
  • Options
    FPT @taffys
    "I wonder if dancing to the US tune is the real principle to have evaporated in the last few days.

Maybe people don;t mind intervening. They don;t want to intervene on America's terms.

And they don;t want to intervene with weak armed services."

I'm a bit like that at least as far as Britain's role goes. I think being close to the US makes sense normally, even when they're wrong, but not when they're wildly wrong and they've gone increasingly mental since 9/11.

On the second point i think the best defense is having armed forces with recent war-fighting experience so i'm generally in favour of any military intervention simply as a training exercise on the conditions
    1) fairly small
    2) fairly short
    3) chance of making it better at least as high as chance of making it worse
    4) armed forces equipped and funded on that basis i.e. home defense plus intervention force

None of that applies at the moment so all that's left is do we put on a little skirt and cheer-lead for the Yanks or not and given what the entirely foreseeable consequences of helping our glorious cannibal allies win there's no good reason to cheer-lead either.
  • Options
    Forgot to mention, theres a fair amount of Special Operations forces camped out in the region reinforced I notice by a few assets transferring out British soil. Could be there for aircrew evac, monitoring, 3rd party assistance, facility evac or something else entirely.
  • Options

Tapestry said:
    Actually for once it does look like this is a reliable source as far as the reporter himself goes. The question of course is how reliable his sources are and there is no way for us to judge that.
    The actual story is quite small apart from the implications as it doesn't say the rebels did the whole thing only that they had an accident with chemical weapons in one area. The big part of the story is the claim the Saudis are supplying the rebels with chemical munitions. I can't imagine why they'd do that.

Well actually it's quite obvious why they might do that.
  • Options
    Syria: Obama to speak shortly and not announce imminent military action according to White House officials.

• Options
    @Tapestry

I remember reading-though I can't remember where- that the provenance of chemical weapons is relatively easy to establish. If as you suggests the chemicals were supplied to rebel factions from the Saudi Arabians it shouldn't be too difficult to discover.

Beam me aboard Scotty
  • Options

It's surprising how small a hit Dave has taken on this, considering that on Thursday night his resignation was even mooted. As tim pointed out, they probably knew they didn't have the numbers 24 hours before, so a good spin operation was already in place for Friday. (Having Osborne shift the blame on to Tony Blair, for example, was a master stroke.) And Miliband's hand in the debacle - through vacillation or opportunism, you choose which - has also shifted attention.

The "we get it" line was spot on (by accident or design).
  • Options
    @ AveryLP Thanks for the kind words.

@ Moderator: I have tried intermittently posting over the past 6 months under my old sign in, but it kept on telling me I had the wrong password. When i clicked on the link to change the password, it told me an email had been sent to my email address, but the email never turned up. Also, it would not let me re-register with my old email address. Eventually, I created a new account under a different email address.

Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Options
    Domestically the events of last week will make very little difference. For non-anoraks this flared up and once the Sunday papers are done will pretty much become background noise. A vote in favour of action would have kept an unpopular move in the spotlight for many weeks.
  • Options
    @Man_On_A_Pallet ·

What could be a better example of 'trolling' than never posting yourself but attaching a 'troll' sign to various posters you don't agree with. Why don't you announce what username you used to post under? Or better still post yourself
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Presumably no polls tonight apart from YouGov? Seems to be unanimity that neither VI nor Leader ratings will be much affected. I think that is probably the case, but still can't help wondering....
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

Domestically the events of last week will make very little difference. For non-anoraks this flared up and once the Sunday papers are done will pretty much become background noise. A vote in favour of action would have kept an unpopular move in the spotlight for many weeks.

quite.

Friday chez Brooke consisted of three females shouting at the TV to stop wittering on about stupid Syria and show the real news on William and Kate.
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    @TimT2

Anthony Cordesman has written an excellent series of articles on the options (and missed opportunities along the way), one of which I link below.

A very informative and well reasoned article.

A few points which might appear negative but only because I am singling out what I disagreed with.

1. Your argument that treaties have to be enforced to be useful, and that intervention should follow breach of treaty, rather than extent of suffering, is stronger than Cordesman's attempt to justify intervention on the extent of suffering caused and to compare it to the extent of suffering caused by conventional weapons.

2. Cordesman suffers from being very US centric. The opportunities available to the US to leverage the diplomatic strengths of its allies is underplayed.

Compare:

Finally, the U.S. should make it clear that it does not reject negotiations that could lead to some form of agreed solution that would protect Syria’s Alawites and Kurds, offer Russia a role in Syria and move towards a UN solution, and give Assad a secure way to leave or even lead to some form of ceasefire that temporarily divides Syria without leaving it without a future.

to Rory Stewart's:

[Syria] desperately needs a political settlement between the more moderate parts of the regime and the more moderate parts of the opposition, to balance the very different components of Syrian society. But that would require, not just extraordinary political imagination, but the active support of Iran, Saudi Arabia, Qatar, and Russia.

3. The list of 'actions' makes a lot of tactical sense but presupposes a political goal of intervening to resolve the civil war rather than just to punish and deter on CW. That would require a massive leap of intent by Obama and stretch the whole legality argument well beyond its current bounds.

That said, the Cordesman paper is a very useful addition to PB's briefing resources.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    JohnO said:

Presumably no polls tonight apart from YouGov? Seems to be unanimity that neither VI nor Leader ratings will be much affected. I think that is probably the case, but still can't help wondering....

Life goes on.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    Do we now have both TimT back, and Y0kel active as well? That's great news. I don't think you can find commentary as insightful and well-informed as this available in the press.
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @Roger

'He did the same in parliament and secured a healthy majority.'

Yes,and the then leader of the opposition kept his word unlike the current weasel.
  • Options
    @ Mr Jones 'There is no moral case for intervening in Syria that doesn't include the entirely foreseeable consequences of our glorious cannibal allies being let loose on the western edge of Syria.'

Bit too cryptic for me. Which cannibal allies to the west? Turkey, Lebanon, Israel?

If you mean Israel, I have to disagree. They have shown remarkable restraint in keeping out of the US' military ventures in the Middle East and I would assume they would be under similarly strong orders to do so this time around. For all the tail wagging the dog in US-Israeli relations, Israel ultimately knows which side its bread is buttered on and does as it is told when it knows the US is in deadly earnest.
  • Options
    TimT

Do I recall correctly that you had good experience of the ins and outs of weapons proliferation issues?
  • Options
    TimT2 said:

@ Mr Jones 'There is no moral case for intervening in Syria that doesn't include the entirely foreseeable consequences of our glorious cannibal allies being let loose on the western edge of Syria.'

Bit too cryptic for me. Which cannibal allies to the west? Turkey, Lebanon, Israel?

If you mean Israel, I have to disagree. They have shown remarkable restraint in keeping out of the US' military ventures in the Middle East and I would assume they would be under similarly strong orders to do so this time around. For all the tail wagging the dog in US-Israeli relations, Israel ultimately knows which side its bread is buttered on and does as it is told when it knows the US is in deadly earnest.

I believe Mr Jones was referring to the noble rebels who have been caught eating the hearts of enemies and sawing people's heads off with bread knives.
  • Options
    @ AveryLP. Thanks. I agree the upholding of international law, particularly international law as it pertains to weapons and war, is the most compelling reason for intervention legally and strategically, if not emotionally.

On the US-centric viewpoint, I sometimes think the US is bipolar, fighting between the desires to always do what it wants on its terms and alone if necessary on the one hand (damn the canons) and wanting to be loved by everyone on the other. This results sometimes in hubris and overestimation of its strengths, and sometimes in blindspots as to how strong it actually is. Whatever, the vacillation between these two opposed approaches undermines overall effectiveness, IMO.
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Reliable sources inform me that I should expect a Survation poll this evening.

• Options
    One good thing to come out of this for Cameron is that he now has the freedom to sack his Foreign Secretary at the next re-shuffle and nobody would blink an eyelid.
  • Options
    TimT2 said:

You make my point for me.
  • Options
    Roger said:

@Man_On_A_Pallet ·

What could be a better example of 'trolling' than never posting yourself but attaching a 'troll' sign to various posters you don't agree with. Why don't you announce what username you used to post under? Or better still post yourself

Roger

I think Man_On_A_Pallet, following a fit of pique at being upstaged, may have murdered HortenceWithering.

In the circumstances, you might consider filing a report with the Police.

• Options
    @ Roger 'I remember reading-though I can't remember where- that the provenance of chemical weapons is relatively easy to establish'

IIRC, it lies in the chemical analysis of the impurities, leaving a signature.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited August 2013
    Thanks to both David Herdson and Corporeal for their thought provoking articles.

I find it interesting that if rumoured, 7 Shadow Ministers threatened to resign if their Leader backed the Government motion, thus forcing Miliband to renege on his cross party agreement with Cameron despite his demands being met. That says a lot about Miliband the politician, and also those who surround him in the Labour party. To then rush out an almost identical amendment to the originally agreed Government proposals before they had been put to the House while briefing that Miliband had played a political blinder seems to have been to clever by half. The issue was Syria and the framing of a UK response to the use of chemical weapons by the Assad Regime.

Miliband's spinners were not even subtle in their early attempts to play party politics in an effort to try and shore up his position, Miliband is now even weaker and more diminished as a LotO as a result. And now we the UK have neither a strong response to the use of chemical weapons by the Assad Regime, or a strong position at the UN Security Council. I genuinely believe that Miliband gambled that he and his party could vote against the Government motion while others would carry the day and the vote on this issue. I am now beginning to believe that Miliband would make an even worse PM than Gordon Brown, surely some Labour supporters must be beginning to wonder if that he is too risky a gamble for the country right now.
  • Options
    @ Yokel. Depends on your definition of 'good'! But now standing at 33 years and counting...
  • Options
    @TimT2

Welcome back! As for the issue of the missing email, it is possible that it might have been caught in any spam-trap you might have on your email system? That's the only thing that comes to mind at the moment.
  • Options
    TimT2 said:

@ Yokel. Depends on your definition of 'good'! But now standing at 33 years and counting...

Beats my O Level.

• Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I'm sure this will appear elsewhere but these are rather amusing - DWP benefit fraud excuses - http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/uk/crime/article3857310.ece

"One man blamed his “evil twin”, another was adamant that his wife was his sister, and a black claimant using a white woman’s ID told her trial for benefit fraud that her skin colour had changed after a road accident...

*A Glasgow claimant tried to explain excessive income: “Any wages under £200 are mine but any over £200 must belong to someone else.”

*A Bilston claimant questioned about a living together fraud: “I don’t know why you’re interviewing me, I’m bisexual!”

*A man interviewed in Folkestone regarding failing to declare his night-watchman job said: “I only claim benefits during the day - what I do at night is my own business...”
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited August 2013
    Fitalass.. Lots of dull thuds around Westminster as Labou realises what a f*ck up it has created by its duplicity, those dull thuds are the chins of stupid Labour Politicians hitting the floor
  • Options
    Question for the parliamentary experts; is what miliband has apparently done - verbally agreeing with the pm to do something and then going back on it, likely to cause a 'tit-for-tat' action from the government side, for example a break down on pairing or some other unwritten convention between government and opposition ? I'm interested in what the long term results might be.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

I find it interesting that if rumoured, 7 Shadow Ministers threatened to resign if their Leader backed the Government motion, thus forcing Miliband to renege on his cross party agreement with Cameron despite his demands being met. That says a lot about Miliband the politician, and also those who surround him in the Labour party.

If that's true, fitalass, we are going to have to add to the chorus:

Weak, Weak, Weak

will need to become:

Weak, Weak, Weak, Weak, Weak, Weak, Weak, Weak, Weak, Weak.
  • Options
    RedRag1RedRag1 Posts: 527
    My god, now we have a defeat for Cameron in the House of Commons as a brilliant victory and playing Miliband like a fiddle. Only on PB. Nice to see the Tory spin machine going into super over-drive.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Good article corporeal. Basically sums up my feeling on the politics of this. I think Ed may have inadvertently saved Dave's premiership by voting down intervention. Dave's heart didn't seem to be in it, and by getting him off the hook for intervention (as seen by Dave's quick position to take it off the table completely) and having the blame for, as SeanT put's it, Syrian babies getting gassed completely on his head, Ed could quickly end up being the victim of the law of unintended consequences.

If images of Syrian babies and children dying from chemical warfare appear on TV it will be very, very painful for Ed as there will be a lot of questions asked over whether he was right to take a partisan position on Syria to defeat the government and his opportunism could finally catch up with him. Dave on the other had will look pretty good having argued for intervention, gone to Parliament but done the democratic thing and respected its wishes, all the while not being required to commit to what may turn into a very unpopular 5-7 year jaunt in the Middle East.
  • Options
    RedRag1 said:

My god, now we have a defeat for Cameron in the House of Commons as a brilliant victory and playing Miliband like a fiddle. Only on PB. Nice to see the Tory spin machine going into super over-drive.

RedRag1

Why don't you threaten to resign from PB?.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,862
    Y0kel said:

TimT2 said:

Beats my O Level.

Did you get more than 1 O level though
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    Obama has made a decision.

*feints*

....subject to Congressional approval!
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    I think we might see a Survation poll tonight I think some interesting Syrian findings
  • Options
    edited August 2013
    AveryLP said:

Obama has made a decision.

*feints*

....subject to Congressional approval!

left or right

or did you mean swoon
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Twitter
    Edwina Currie ‏@Edwina_Currie 40s
    #obama will seek authorisation of Congress - debate and vote. Well, Big Dave, you've started a new fashion
  • Options
    AveryLP - Is that the Selfidges towel folder as your picture?
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    @AveryLP

PATHETIC

PATHETIC

Your spinning is getting tedious
  • Options
    Oh we get a mention - I always think of this for meaningless platitudes from Obama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erYpXzE9Pxs
  • Options

@AveryLP

PATHETIC

PATHETIC

That's one way of saying it....fu**ing boring and repetitive is another.
  • Options
    fitalass said:

Twitter
    Edwina Currie ‏@Edwina_Currie 40s
    #obama will seek authorisation of Congress - debate and vote. Well, Big Dave, you've started a new fashion

Now that Obama has lost his pet poodle he cannot go ahead alone but has to hope that Congress will let him fire his shiny weapons. Cameron and Obama are two cheeks of the same arse.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Ha! Looks like Obama is trying to find a way to have his hands tied as well now. For the points made umpteen times, intervention looks like a seriously bad option, very few are up for another 5-7 year mission in the ME.

It probably also means the UN report is not ironclad so he can't pre-empt it and get the missile campaign started in advance of its release.
  • Options
    tim said:

Military force not "time sensitive" and Obama will seek congressional approval.

So what the hell was the Polzeath Porpoise doing half-recalling Parliament?

The more gung-ho half of the US administration was trying to bounce the less gung-ho half.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,218
    I agree with the thread that this is probably the best outcome for Cameron if only because he has got to abandon a truly disastrous and unpopular policy that was likely to lead to calamity further down the road. And thanks to Ed it is not even really his fault.

There are prices to be paid but once again, thanks Ed, those prices are being at least shared. Ed is taking responsibility for fracturing our relationship with the Americans and may even volunteer to take the blame the next time a group of children are chucked on the barbie.

I really wish Cameron was smart enough to have engineered this deliberately but luck is a good commodity too.
  • Options
    RedRag1 said:

AveryLP - Is that the Selfidges towel folder as your picture?

It is England's patron saint and saviour, RedRag.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    Politically and diplomatically it is the best possible result for Dave - when you combine the two.
  • Options
    Obama speaking well - not sure his words will make comfortable reading for Labour.
  • Options

@AveryLP

PATHETIC

PATHETIC

I was in Bedford today... everyone hates the Tories...
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    Obama just made the best speech of his career .. Milliband should be forced to watch it..Thud THUD
  • Options
    Plato said:

@AveryLP

PATHETIC

PATHETIC

I was in Bedford today... everyone hates the Tories...
    Lol.
This discussion has been closed.