Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » New “media trust” polling finds the BBC top and the Sun bottom

124»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

dixiedean said:

Ashes: Australia recall wicketkeeper Tim Paine after seven years

Full squad: Steve Smith (captain), David Warner, Cameron Bancroft, Jackson Bird, Pat Cummins, Peter Handscomb, Josh Hazlewood, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Shaun Marsh, Tim Paine, Chadd Sayers, Mitchell Starc

http://www.bbc.com/sport/cricket/42013093

Forgive my over optimism. But is that really a squad to strike fear? A 5-0 squad?
    It certainly isn't in the same universe as Warne, Mcgrath, Waugh, Waugh, Gilchrist etc etc etc team, no. But England team has fragile batting line up and the best two bowlers are aging.
    True, although Andersons stats have only gotten better as he's aged.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2017
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Full squad: Steve Smith (captain), David Warner, Cameron Bancroft, Jackson Bird, Pat Cummins, Peter Handscomb, Josh Hazlewood, Usman Khawaja, Nathan Lyon, Shaun Marsh, Tim Paine, Chadd Sayers, Mitchell Starc

Forgive my over optimism. But is that really a squad to strike fear? A 5-0 squad?
    On the latter point, they are not so good I woukd expect that. Home advantage and if our top guys all fail maybe, but though I'd call them favourites neither side are world beaters.
    The Test game is in a bad way really. While most sports, modern players are superior than their predecessors, cricket isn't the case. No team really have a big group of world beaters by historical standards. Nobody has a world class genuine express pace bowler, no spinner is as good as Warne or Muli, etc etc etc
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

It certainly isn't in the same universe as Warne, Mcgrath, Waugh, Waugh, Gilchrist etc etc etc team, no. But England team has fragile batting line up and the best two bowlers are aging.
    The problem with Anderson is after going most of his career never getting injured, he has broken down several times in past few years and it is never a one game thing.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

The problem with Anderson is after going most of his career never getting injured, he has broken down several times in past few years and it is never a one game thing.
    Well he is 36, luck is holding his body together now I guess.

I'm hopeful of a close fought series, thats as far as my expectations go.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

On the latter point, they are not so good I woukd expect that. Home advantage and if our top guys all fail maybe, but though I'd call them favourites neither side are world beaters.
    Agreed. Home advantage shuld see them home. But, having recently been in Oz, there is "irrational exuberance". They seem to think a whitewash is nailed on without Stokes. But. Suppose Cook and Root bat well in Brisbane? If Bairstow and Moeen and Woakes chip in?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Well he is 36, luck is holding his body together now I guess.

I'm hopeful of a close fought series, thats as far as my expectations go.
    Oh don't get me wrong. He is still a fantastic bowler and apparently him and Cook are the fittest in all the tests they do. However, I am always very nervous he is going to pull up with something and recent history has shown that is probably it for the series.

And England don't at the moment have strength in depth with the bowling. Woakes, Broad, Anderson, Stokes, Ali is a good attack (albeit we could do with a left arm alternative), but we have no Stokes and if Anderson breaks down, at the moment we will be left with having to play both Ball and Overton.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Agreed. Home advantage shuld see them home. But, having recently been in Oz, there is "irrational exuberance". They seem to think a whitewash is nailed on without Stokes. But. Suppose Cook and Root bat well in Brisbane? If Bairstow and Moeen and Woakes chip in?
    Are you saying that you don't give any of the other batters a chance ;-)
  • Options

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Oooh. They have a chance. But that is all...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

You are more optimistic than me over England's batting then! If Root, Cook and Bairstow don't score heavily in this series, England are in trouble.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Stoneman seems to have some character about him.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

You are more optimistic than me over England's batting then! If Root, Cook and Bairstow don't score heavily in this series, England are in trouble.
    I meant to imply that.However, what if they do? The Aussie press and public see this as a walkover...could become a 2013 in reverse? Maybe over optimistic? Maybe.... Just think this is 2 poor sides...metaphor for politics?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

I meant to imply that.However, what if they do? The Aussie press and public see this as a walkover...could become a 2013 in reverse? Maybe over optimistic? Maybe.... Just think this is 2 poor sides...metaphor for politics?
    Lets hope Root doesn't get the coughs !!!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

The Test game is in a bad way really. While most sports, modern players are superior than their predecessors, cricket isn't the case. No team really have a big group of world beaters by historical standards. Nobody has a world class genuine express pace bowler, no spinner is as good as Warne or Muli, etc etc etc
    I think all sports go through peaks and troughs. The Aus team circa 2000 was from the very top drawer a la Federer, middleweights of the early 80s, Brady, ,*cough cough* US EPOstrong.... Great cricketers will come again - though the world bodies have to get T20 and test series into some sort of balance.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923
    I've overheard Aussie radio whilst out there when they're losing at a sports event... If you think R5L has alot of phone in managers !
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2017
    Pulpstar said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

I think all sports go through peaks and troughs. The Aus team circa 2000 was from the very top drawer a la Federer, middleweights of the early 80s, Brady, ,*cough cough* US EPOstrong.... Great cricketers will come again - though the world bodies have to get T20 and test series into some sort of balance.
    I fear that T20 is encouraging the promotion / development of different kind of players e.g. Fast bowlers have been found not really to be optimal in T20. More and more side open the bowling with spinners, who don't spin the bowl, rather fire in flat trajectory balls.

It seems that the number of tear away fast bowlers has reduced dramatically every generation.
This discussion has been closed.