Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Deal or no deal

Comments

• Options
    Order books for Britain’s factories are at their strongest for almost 30 years as the weak pound and global growth bolsters demand for manufactured goods.

In a boost to the chancellor on the eve of the budget, the CBI’s monthly health check of industry showed a sharp improvement in both total and export order books.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/nov/21/uk-manufacturing-order-books-strongest-level-since-1988-cbi-says

Because and despite Brexit....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,999
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,834
    IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

JonathanD said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

I have no idea. All I can see is that there are massive threats and risks with the path down which we are headed, exacerbated by the government still having no apparent coherent strategy, and that the basis for the promised upside from Brexit remains shaky at the very best. The trend of history over many decades is towards greater international collaboration, as technology and travel makes the world a smaller place, and seeking to isolate ourselves from this will likely put our country on the periphery of history as far as the 21st century is concerned, which is a tragedy given the central role we have been able to play over so many centuries past.

Please explain how removing ourselves from a protectionist bloc is isolationist? The whole point of Brexit is to give us a more global outlook. The EU is by design inwards looking, it's a major reason people voted to leave.
    Oh thank god! You've seen the breakdown tables in the appendices to the main EURef ballot paper.

So it was removing ourselves from a protectionist bloc that was the motivating factor? Gives me great comfort that it was nothing to do with getting the foreigners out an' all that which some - even on here - said it was.
    Did I say the word "only"? No. Don't put words in my mouth.
    "The whole point of Brexit is to give us a more global outlook."

Undoubtedly the good citizens of Port Talbot were voting so that they could embrace cheap Chinese steel imports.
    And American chemical chicken, plastic cheese, eggs that need to be refrigerated, and chocolate made from already stale milk.
    Are the good people of Port Talbot going to be forced to buy plastic American cheese only from now on?!
    No, I agree. My post was simply a rant against the s**t you have to eat whenever I visit America.
    If anyone wants to know why Americans are the most obese nation on Earth, two good starting points:

1. The quantity of the food they eat.
    2. The quality of the food they eat.
  • Options

Order books for Britain’s factories are at their strongest for almost 30 years as the weak pound and global growth bolsters demand for manufactured goods.

In a boost to the chancellor on the eve of the budget, the CBI’s monthly health check of industry showed a sharp improvement in both total and export order books.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/nov/21/uk-manufacturing-order-books-strongest-level-since-1988-cbi-says

Because and despite Brexit....

German company Siemens cuts 3,000 jobs in Germany, hires more in UK and USA. Despite Brexit, obviously.
    https://order-order.com/2017/11/21/siemens-cut-european-jobs-expand-uk/
  • Options
    The latest Kantar Public poll also shows that Labour has the highest level of support among the general public (39% compared with 38% for the Conservatives). However, if we assume that turnout patterns are like the last two general elections, the Conservatives appear to currently have the upper hand (42%) ahead of Labour who are on 38%, the Lib Dems on 9% and UKIP on 5%

https://test.kantar.com/public-opinion/economy/2017/british-households-under-pressure-and-gloomier-about-economy/
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

JonathanD said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

I have no idea. All I can see is that there are massive threats and risks with the path down which we are headed, exacerbated by the government still having no apparent coherent strategy, and that the basis for the promised upside from Brexit remains shaky at the very best. The trend of history over many decades is towards greater international collaboration, as technology and travel makes the world a smaller place, and seeking to isolate ourselves from this will likely put our country on the periphery of history as far as the 21st century is concerned, which is a tragedy given the central role we have been able to play over so many centuries past.

Please explain how removing ourselves from a protectionist bloc is isolationist? The whole point of Brexit is to give us a more global outlook. The EU is by design inwards looking, it's a major reason people voted to leave.
    Oh thank god! You've seen the breakdown tables in the appendices to the main EURef ballot paper.

So it was removing ourselves from a protectionist bloc that was the motivating factor? Gives me great comfort that it was nothing to do with getting the foreigners out an' all that which some - even on here - said it was.

Undoubtedly the good citizens of Port Talbot were voting so that they could embrace cheap Chinese steel imports.
    And American chemical chicken, plastic cheese, eggs that need to be refrigerated, and chocolate made from already stale milk.
    Are the good people of Port Talbot going to be forced to buy plastic American cheese only from now on?!
    No, I agree. My post was simply a rant against the s**t you have to eat whenever I visit America.
    If anyone wants to know why Americans are the most obese nation on Earth, two good starting points:

1. The quantity of the food they eat.
    2. The quality of the food they eat.
    There are also the perverse subsidies which make certain products ridiculously cheap, while healthier staples are fairly expensive. It is why Fructose Corn Syrup exists.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,902
    edited November 2017
    O/T, but, from the Guartdian https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/21/forensics-data-manipulation-may-have-affected-10000-cases
    Story goes on as follows.
    'Policing chiefs say confidence in the criminal justice system has been rocked by the alleged manipulation of data at a forensics laboratory that has led to the review of 10,000 cases across England and Wales.

Police said so far two cases involving road deaths had been referred to the court of appeal. About 50 cases of drug-driving have been discontinued.'

That’s quite frankly, dreadful.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Whatever our positions on Brexit I am interested by what you are writing. As far as I can wee you are saying people voted for different reasons.

Some voted to be less protectionist and inward looking, while others voted to get the foreigners out which I think counts as protectionist and inward looking. Maybe some voted both to be less protectionist and inward looking and to get the foreigners out.

It's a funny old world, isn't it.

I think you are spot on with that. It is also why I think May is so wrong insisting on one particular type of Brexit. Clearly she cannot satisfy all strands of Leave and she should therefore choose the option which satisfies the largest number of people. As I have contended in the past the logic of this seems to me to be a Brexit which accommodates the views of Remain voters and a substantial number of Leave voters as opposed to one which only pleases a proportion of Leave voters and no Remain voters at all.

Whatever the supposed difficulties of Brexit, May's line seems to be making things massively more difficult and increase the likelihood of failure.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,210

IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

JonathanD said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

What nonsense. The choice of decent food in the US has expanded rapidly over the past 5-10 years.

As with everything in the US, it is a place of two extremes. You get the utter garbage food and you get super high quality stuff.
    Even if you are right that the wealthy somehow manage to come by non-plastic cheese, safe eggs, non-chemical chicken, and the like, such disparity and inequality doesn't sound like anything to be proud about?
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976

The latest Kantar Public poll also shows that Labour has the highest level of support among the general public (39% compared with 38% for the Conservatives). However, if we assume that turnout patterns are like the last two general elections, the Conservatives appear to currently have the upper hand (42%) ahead of Labour who are on 38%, the Lib Dems on 9% and UKIP on 5%

https://test.kantar.com/public-opinion/economy/2017/british-households-under-pressure-and-gloomier-about-economy/

Surely that dreadfully disappointing for Lab?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Whatever our positions on Brexit I am interested by what you are writing. As far as I can wee you are saying people voted for different reasons.

Some voted to be less protectionist and inward looking, while others voted to get the foreigners out which I think counts as protectionist and inward looking. Maybe some voted both to be less protectionist and inward looking and to get the foreigners out.

I think you are spot on with that. It is also why I think May is so wrong insisting on one particular type of Brexit. Clearly she cannot satisfy all strands of Leave and she should therefore choose the option which satisfies the largest number of people. As I have contended in the past the logic of this seems to me to be a Brexit which accommodates the views of Remain voters and a substantial number of Leave voters as opposed to one which only pleases a proportion of Leave voters and no Remain voters at all.

Whatever the supposed difficulties of Brexit, May's line seems to be making things massively more difficult and increase the likelihood of failure.
    I think you are misreading what May is attempting to do. She knows there are impossible trade offs, so she is testing the extent to which they can be avoided by playing the role of the immovable object. If it doesn't work, it's not her fault she was given an impossible task, and if it means people decide that Brexit isn't worth it, so much the better from her point of view.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2017
    IanB2 said:

Even if you are right that the wealthy somehow manage to come by non-plastic cheese, safe eggs, non-chemical chicken, and the like, such disparity and inequality doesn't sound like anything to be proud about?

That is a criticism of wider US politics / social situation (hence Trump and Bernie) and in regards to food, subsidies stuck in the past which have lead to perverse incentives creating unhealthy products like Fructose Corn Syrup.

But to say healthy high quality food isn't available in the US is nonsense, even outside places like California or hipster Oregon. I have some Vegan friends who are very particular over food and they happily road tripped across the US without having to comprise their high standards.

Also in the US there is a general education problem. Again two extremes, the best and brightest get fantastic educations at Ivy League colleges who have facilities and funding which puts all over universities in the world to shame. But the general level of high school education is absolutely piss poor.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214
    Ebagum, he gone!
  • Options
    It is the difference between the generations that is going to be the problem in the medium to long term.

Even if we leave (and I still think it won't happen), there will be a majority to rejoin within ten to fifteen years.

Who knows what terms we will get. But certainly no rebates.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

That is a criticism of wider US politics / social situation (hence Trump and Bernie) and in regards to food, subsidies stuck in the past which have lead to perverse incentives creating unhealthy products like Fructose Corn Syrup.

But to say healthy high quality food isn't available in the US is nonsense, even outside places like California or hipster Oregon. I have some Vegan friends who are very particular over food and they happily road tripped across the US without having to comprise their high standards.

Also in the US there is a general education problem. Again two extremes, the best and brightest get fantastic educations at Ivy League colleges that put all over universities in the world to shame. But the general level of high school education is absolutely piss poor.
    Good to hear. If it's possible to travel from east to west without having to subsist on burgers, fried chicken, fries and grits that must be good news.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,606

It is the difference between the generations that is going to be the problem in the medium to long term.

Even if we leave (and I still think it won't happen), there will be a majority to rejoin within ten to fifteen years.

Given how fractured European politics is becoming there might not be very much to rejoin by then.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

I think you are misreading what May is attempting to do. She knows there are impossible trade offs, so she is testing the extent to which they can be avoided by playing the role of the immovable object. If it doesn't work, it's not her fault she was given an impossible task, and if it means people decide that Brexit isn't worth it, so much the better from her point of view.
    I disagree entirely. On a whole host of issues May has screwed up. Most importantly she could have made clear that our final desired destination was an EFTA type relationship either inside or outside the EEA but accepting freedom of movement. Bear in mind I am answering this in the context of Topping's post on the clear dichotomy within the Leave movement. But she explicitly chose a route designed to alienate most Remain voters whilst not satisfying large numbers of Leave voters.

The task was not and is not impissible. She just chose a route that makes it far more difficult.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789

Which numbers does Kantar consider to be definitive.

IIRC, Kantar did rather well in June.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

So it was removing ourselves from a protectionist bloc which implies being open to the world and its citizenry. And...getting the foreigners out.

Have I got that right?
    snip

Nail -> head. Leave was won by a combination of those who disliked the EU because it was limiting to UK's global outlook, and those who disliked the EU because it was too open and letting immigrants in.

Ironically, Leave could not have won without those conflicting elements, but it also makes decisions now a tad more difficult.

Surely the first group is small? Minuscule probably. Basically, a few right-wing Tories and party members and some hedge fund guys.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

Also in the US there is a general education problem. Again two extremes, the best and brightest get fantastic educations at Ivy League colleges that put all over universities in the world to shame. But the general level of high school education is absolutely piss poor.
    Good to hear. If it's possible to travel from east to west without having to subsist on burgers, fried chicken, fries and grits that must be good news.
    I think a better criticism would be that you have to be far more diligent over checking what is in any processed food in the US. But Whole Foods ain't become so massive because the whole of the population of the US have Elvis sized crushes on burgers and fries that they never want to eat anything else.

I am sure OGH Jnr will be along at some point to tell us all about the high quality food and (more likely) plonk he consumes in the socialist republic of Californiastan.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

So it was removing ourselves from a protectionist bloc which implies being open to the world and its citizenry. And...getting the foreigners out.

Have I got that right?
    snip

Nail -> head. Leave was won by a combination of those who disliked the EU because it was limiting to UK's global outlook, and those who disliked the EU because it was too open and letting immigrants in.

Ironically, Leave could not have won without those conflicting elements, but it also makes decisions now a tad more difficult.

Surely the first group is small? Minuscule probably. Basically, a few right-wing Tories and party members and some hedge fund guys.
    Well I am none of those.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Which numbers does Kantar consider to be definitive.

IIRC, Kantar did rather well in June.
    The LTV one.

Joel Williams says: Also note this poll has a 42-38 LTV-weighted lead for Tories over Labour but they are about even (38-39) in the population as a whole. LTV model worked fairly well in 2017GE (so we're keeping it for now) but probably not worth looking at this far out.
  • Options

The thing is that without that small elite group, there would have been no referendum and no credible Leave campaign, so while they're numerically small, they are crucial to the political dynamics.
  • Options

The task was not and is not impissible.

Indeed.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    It seems to me that it is basically tied between Tories and Labour, despite May being useless, brexit and constant negative headlines for the government.

I believe somebody, who used to be a somebody, recently said that Labour should be miles ahead at this stage.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

Please explain how removing ourselves from a protectionist bloc is isolationist?

Have I got that right?
    snip

Therein lies the problem. The only scenario in which it might feasibly be possible to chart an alternative path towards success post-Brexit is one that would be rejected by a majority of the British people, and by a larger majority of voters who actually backed Leave in 2016.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,788
    edited November 2017
    The day of the referendum an opinion poll showed REMAIN winning by 10%?
  • Options

The task was not and is not impissible.

Indeed.
    Yep. For Mrs May, nothing is impissible.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

The thing is that without that small elite group, there would have been no referendum and no credible Leave campaign, so while they're numerically small, they are crucial to the political dynamics.
    That’s a fair comment.

I’d guess the tipping point was Douglas Carswell’s defection from Conservative to UKIP. Cameron was then losing his own MPs as well as just votes, and without offering the referendum the trickle of defections could have turned into an avalanche.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    FF43 said:

Pulpstar said:

Ireland has a unique current & historical relationship with the UK. The EU needs to recognise this I think.

The Irish government has done some very good research and positioning on Brexit. Much better than our lot.

A guy I got talking to an the train near Luton has done better research than our lot.
  • Options

Only problem with that thesis is that eventually the young become old... And get more right wing as they do so. ;)
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,184
    edited November 2017

TOPPING said:

Some voted to be less prote it.

I disagree entirely. On a whole host of issues May has screwed up. Most importantly she could have made clear that our final desired destination was an EFTA type relationship either inside or outside the EEA but accepting freedom of movement. Bear in mind I am answering this in the context of Topping's post on the clear dichotomy within the Leave movement. But she explicitly chose a route designed to alienate most Remain voters whilst not satisfying large numbers of Leave voters.

The task was not and is not impissible. She just chose a route that makes it far more difficult.
    As I mentioned yesterday, I think in many ways Dave stepping down was symbolic enough so as to make the remaining (small "r") members of the cabinet think that with Dave went all ideas of some kind of balance between remaining and leaving, leaving the field to the Leavers. So to speak.

It was in the mind of May that the general election would simply allow her to pursue a hard Brexit (the idea that she wanted a larger majority to silence the euroloons is erroneous I was told on very very good advice) which was an error, or a moment of madness, or some kind of political blindness, or all three.

None of which reflects well upon her but, as @TSE continues to remind us, she was never a star performer to begin with.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

That’s a fair comment.

I’d guess the tipping point was Douglas Carswell’s defection from Conservative to UKIP. Cameron was then losing his own MPs as well as just votes, and without offering the referendum the trickle of defections could have turned into an avalanche.
    Dave offered the referendum in January 2013, 18 months before Carswell and the traitorous pig dog defector defected.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Only problem with that thesis is that eventually the young become old... And get more right wing as they do so. ;)
    +1
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    GIN1138 said:

The day of the referendum an opinion poll showed REMAIN winning by 10%?
    So much for the public changing their minds. 18 months in and the polls are the same as they were the week of the referendum.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Sandpit said:

That’s a fair comment.

If you really want to knee TSE in the goolies, suggest that Mark Reckless defecting to UKIP was the straw that broke the camel's back - and caused Cameron to ensure that the Referendum would happen...

So Reckless caused Brexit.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,894

Turnout in 2017 was nothing like 2015 though.

Take Darlington. 19401 votes would have been plenty in 2015 to win.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Given how fractured European politics is becoming there might not be very much to rejoin by then.
    If so lets save ourselves a shed load of bother and stay in until it collapses.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

That’s a fair comment.

If you really want to knee TSE in the goolies, suggest that Mark Reckless defecting to UKIP was the straw that broke the camel's back - and caused Cameron to ensure that the Referendum would happen...

See my post at 4.42pm

Dave offered the referendum 18 months before TPD and Carswell defected.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,238
    edited November 2017
    Apparently I upset Mark Reckless by writing in a thread header

"I can't say the word c**t but he [Mark Reckless]'s a f**king c**t who deserves a hot poker up his arse."
  • Options

Sandpit said:

That’s a fair comment.

See my post at 4.42pm

But there was no resiling from it, even though he got SFA from the EU in his "renegotiation".
  • Options
    The London media obviously bemoaning the loss of 1,000 jobs but I genuinely think that ordinary people outside London and the bubble couldn't care less.

London has created a media and elite narrative always focussing on London as if it represents the Country.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

+1

This only works so long as the average age at which you become a home owner, and no longer a home renter, remains the same. Over recent years this age has been rising rapidly.
  • Options

The London media obviously bemoaning the loss of 1,000 jobs but I genuinely think that ordinary people outside London and the bubble couldn't care less.

London has created a media and elite narrative always focussing on London as if it represents the Country.

I see. So the point has been reached where a thousand London job losses are of no interest to those outside the capital.

Remind me why London should continually lavish funds on such a surly bunch.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

+1
    I can't see the younger generations attitude to Europe changing as they grow old. If anything they will be more adamant as they will have had to ensure the economic distress through the best, productive years of their life.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    IanB2 said:

GIN1138 said:

+1

This only works so long as the average age at which you become a home owner, and no longer a home renter, remains the same. Over recent years this age has been rising rapidly.
    Also, isn't the usual equation that people become more conservative? Brexit isn't conservative, as people are beginning to learn.
  • Options

They will care when the P45 is actually landing on their own desk.
  • Options

"I can't say the word c**t but he [Mark Reckless]'s a f**king c**t who deserves a hot poker up his arse."

Do you have any regrets?
  • Options
    Mugabe gone, Merkel diminished and just hanging on with little or no power , and TM getting on with her job.

Who would have thought that two or three months ago
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

+1
    I don't think opposition to Europe is that closely correlated to being right wing or something that becomes more appealing as you get older. I was happy to vote for Brexit in 1983 but it would have put me off voting Labour if they were still advocating it in 1997. Given just how slender the leave was, it is very easy to envisage a Britain where there is a large majority to rejoin quite soon.

• Options

Hope the op and everything goes/went well Big G but that is a moronic comment on many levels.

Apart from the jobs themselves, and the multiplier effect on latte and underfloor heating sales, etc from those people being there, that these two agencies were headquartered in London was testament to some of London's soft power which is, imperceptibly, being whittled away.

Oh don't worry we'll still be able to sing Land of Hope and Glory at Twickenham but it is a diminution nevertheless.
  • Options

I see. So the point has been reached where a thousand London job losses are of no interest to those outside the capital.

That is just the attitude that resulted in Brexit
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Do you have any regrets?
    Yes, I wish I had used stronger language and not been so diplomatic towards Mark Reckless.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,789
    It's nice to see that Mugabe has definitely gone, now.
  • Options

Possibly true. It has taken years of your John Redwoods on the fringe circuit to slowly change the Conservatives from the sanity of Ken Clarke to this madness.
  • Options

And that's just the attitude that will result in London demanding far more control of the money that it earns, rather than waste it on people who hate it.
  • Options

As the French ambassador put it, the Brexit electorate was made up of ideologues in and around London voting against the EU, and people in the rest of the country voting against London.
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Sandpit said:

That’s a fair comment.

See my post at 4.42pm

I wonder if he still thinks he made the right call.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Are we sure? He needs to be out of the country I think before we can fully relax.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

+1
    I can't see the younger generations attitude to Europe changing as they grow old. If anything they will be more adamant as they will have had to ensure the economic distress through the best, productive years of their life.
    And maybe a whole new world of opportunities arises that does not result in the apocalypse situation favoured by the remainers
  • Options

IanB2 said:

GIN1138 said:

+1

Also, isn't the usual equation that people become more conservative? Brexit isn't conservative, as people are beginning to learn.
    The fundamental problem is that many older leave voters didn't see Brexit as radical, assuming it would simply be a return to times past, overlooking the dramatic wrench that will be the transition to life outside the EU after more than forty five years of institutional and regulatory convergence.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Do you have any regrets?
    Yes, I wish I had used stronger language and not been so diplomatic towards Mark Reckless.
    Twat.
  • Options
    Memo to Phil Hammond:

Making Tax Digital for VAT is currently set to come into force (i.e. require mandatory electronic VAT accounting and submission) three days after Brexit day. Have you thought this through?
  • Options

As the French ambassador put it, the Brexit electorate was made up of ideologues in and around London voting against the EU, and people in the rest of the country voting against London.
    Not really. Almost all areas were within 60/40 and 40/60.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2017
    GIN1138 said:

Or...

As the young age, their opinions/politics stay broadly the same but become right wing relative to the opinions/politics of next generations....

Discuss.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Are we sure? He needs to be out of the country I think before we can fully relax.
    And Paddy Power have very helpfully published a list of countries he shouldn't go to.
  • Options

Nope, his view is that you have to trust the wisdom of the British voters.

His view was the issue couldn't be left unresolved, and it would have been a lot lot messier, if it had happened without a referendum.

Picture this scenario, no referendum in 2016, Dave steps down in 2019, he's replaced by Boris who puts in the 2020 Tory manifesto to withdraw us from the EU, Boris/The Tories win a majority on 38% and implement that manifesto.

That would have been very messy.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

GIN1138 said:

+1

The fundamental problem is that many older leave voters didn't see Brexit as radical, assuming it would simply be a return to times past, overlooking the dramatic wrench that will be the transition to life outside the EU after more than forty five years of institutional and regulatory convergence.
    It's amazing how many people exist in a state of denial whereby European integration is some kind of future threat that we need to avoid, rather than something that has been the reality of their existence for most or all of their own lives.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

One of the most brutal light middleweights of the 80s.
  • Options
    RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,976

Seriously, the level of debate on both sides continues to hit new lows
  • Options

Sandpit said:

That’s a fair comment.

Dave offered the referendum in January 2013, 18 months before Carswell and the traitorous pig dog defector defected.
    Yes the referendum was talked about previously, but once the MPs started leaving, followed by UKIP taking most votes in the 2014 EU elections, there was no getting out of it.
  • Options
    volcanopetevolcanopete Posts: 2,078

Love and peace,brother,love and peace.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

+1
    I don't think opposition to Europe is that closely correlated to being right wing or something that becomes more appealing as you get older. I was happy to vote for Brexit in 1983 but it would have put me off voting Labour if they were still advocating it in 1997. Given just how slender the leave was, it is very easy to envisage a Britain where there is a large majority to rejoin quite soon.

You may have a point but not before we have left and it would need a GE where it became a manifesto commitment by either labour or conservatives.

Indeed listening to the media since the cabinet approval of upto 40 billion there is a real anger growing about the EU demands and it is unlikely a large majority will emerge sometime soon
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

That’s a fair comment.

Yes the referendum was talked about previously, but once the MPs started leaving, followed by UKIP taking most votes in the 2014 EU elections, there was no getting out of it.
    Other way around, UKIP won the Euros, then Carswell and TPD defected.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Do you have any regrets?
    Twat.
    Back in early 2015, I was visiting Parliament/Portcullis House and saw Mark Reckless, took all of my legendary restraint not to hurl abuse at him.

Silently, I called him a rude word or two.
  • Options

Memo to Phil Hammond:

Making Tax Digital for VAT is currently set to come into force (i.e. require mandatory electronic VAT accounting and submission) three days after Brexit day. Have you thought this through?

Who on earth does it by paper these days ?

I assume this post has been prompted by the fact it is the 21st so EC Sales are due ;)
  • Options

Nope, his view is that you have to trust the wisdom of the British voters.

His view was the issue couldn't be left unresolved, and it would have been a lot lot messier, if it had happened without a referendum.

Picture this scenario, no referendum in 2016, Dave steps down in 2019, he's replaced by Boris who puts in the 2020 Tory manifesto to withdraw us from the EU, Boris/The Tories win a majority on 38% and implement that manifesto.

That would have been very messy.
    Your defence of Dave is touching but I fear the verdict of history is likely to be that his spinelessness in not standing up to the ultras led to an unnecessary referendum which took what is shaping up to be the most damaging decision in modern British history.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

Do you have any regrets?
    You were far too polite about that f...ing c...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

And those old are just refusing to die.....
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Hope the op and everything goes/went well Big G but that is a moronic comment on many levels.

Apart from the jobs themselves, and the multiplier effect on latte and underfloor heating sales, etc from those people being there, that these two agencies were headquartered in London was testament to some of London's soft power which is, imperceptibly, being whittled away.

Oh don't worry we'll still be able to sing Land of Hope and Glory at Twickenham but it is a diminution nevertheless.
    Thanks for that and a week today I should be home.

My comments are a reflection of vox pops from the Welsh valleys and other phone ins that are furious with the EU and the detached attitude London has to the rest of the UK and the leave vote
  • Options

And that's just the attitude that will result in London demanding far more control of the money that it earns, rather than waste it on people who hate it.
    With respect, that is just so divisive it is to be ignored.

The North already see that attitude but it is rare to see it expressed so openly
  • Options

TOPPING said:

My comments are a reflection of vox pops from the Welsh valleys and other phone ins that are furious with the EU and the detached attitude London has to the rest of the UK and the leave vote
    Was it you (apologies if not) who said that people don't understand economics?

I don't wholly disagree, in general, so such fury is misplaced.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

Sandpit said:

That’s a fair comment.

See my post at 4.42pm

LOL. Ask any Tory what was their favourite single moment of the 2015 election night, and it is almost certainly that TPD getting his arse handed to him on a plate being unsuccessful in the defence of his seat.

I was 3000 miles away and could hear the cheering!
  • Options

The North already see that attitude but it is rare to see it expressed so openly
    You apparently relish job losses for London but want its money. And you describe my attitude as divisive?
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Pong said:

GIN1138 said:

Or...

As the young age, their opinions/politics stay broadly the same but become right wing relative to the opinions/politics of next generations....

Discuss.
    That is probably nail-> head.

Certainly there is a change in perspective that most people experience when they transition from being single and commitment-free to having a job, family and mortgage. The latter possibility now receding through life as I said downthread.

But once past this stage, no-one I know has become more conservative in outlook, and some, once financially secure, have become more left-wing.

I suspect you are right that successive generations grow up taking for granted the social progress achieved by their predecessors, hence many grandparents appear more conservative as the policy window slowly becomes more progressive.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Was it you (apologies if not) who said that people don't understand economics?

I don't wholly disagree, in general, so such fury is misplaced.
    No I do not recall saying that myself but I have heard it expressed and in some ways it is salient
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Memo to Phil Hammond:

I assume this post has been prompted by the fact it is the 21st so EC Sales are due ;)
    No-one does it by paper, but that's not the point. Currently 87% of returns are done by people using the government gateway to type in the small number of figures required for a VAT return. On 1st April 2019 that will no longer be allowed, you have to be running an HMRC-approved electronic accounting system with direct links to HMRC.

It's a fairly big change for lots of small businesses, and also for some large businesses:

https://www.tax.org.uk/policy-technical/technical-news/making-tax-digital-vat-main-issues-consideration

Ordinarily this would be a significant but manageable transition, but I can't help feeling that both businesses and HMRC will have lots of other fires to put out just at that time.
  • Options

You apparently relish job losses for London but want its money. And you describe my attitude as divisive?
    I do not relish any job losses anywhere. Because I convey an opinion expressed through the media does not mean I endorse it but I can understand why people in the North have this anger towards London
  • Options

I do not relish any job losses anywhere. Because I convey an opinion expressed through the media does not mean I endorse it but I can understand why people in the North have this anger towards London
    Such people in "the North" seem to want to sponge off people they despise. But you seem to think it unreasonable that the people they despise might want to do something about that if they persist in that attitude.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,238
    edited November 2017
    Sandpit said:

LOL. Ask any Tory what was their favourite single moment of the 2015 election night, and it is almost certainly that TPD getting his arse handed to him on a plate being unsuccessful in the defence of his seat.

I'll let you into a little secret, I knew a few people running the Tory campaign in 2015.

End of April 2015, I met them in person in a bar of a very nice hotel in central London, this is what they said to me

Them: We're pulling major resources out of Rochester & Strood.

Me: Fuck, that [moderated] c**t's going to win.

Them: No, we're home and hosed, his fat arse is going to be kicked.

Me: Fucking Yes! Yes! Yes!

Then I could feel the eyes of the concierge burning on me with disgust at my language, I may have been transformed into Brian Blessed in my excitement.

I then spent the rest of the campaign worried about Tory hubris and making myself ill over it.

That's how much of an effect TPD had on me.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Memo to Phil Hammond:

No-one does it by paper, but that's not the point. Currently 87% of returns are done by people using the government gateway to type in the small number of figures required for a VAT return. On 1st April 2019 that will no longer be allowed, you have to be running an HMRC-approved electronic accounting system with direct links to HMRC.

It's a fairly big change for lots of small businesses, and also for some large businesses:

https://www.tax.org.uk/policy-technical/technical-news/making-tax-digital-vat-main-issues-consideration

Ordinarily this would be a significant but manageable transition, but I can't help feeling that both businesses and HMRC will have lots of other fires to put out just at that time.
    Oh Christ.

Well Thanks Rich.

We do ours manually here as we have ALOT of 'odd' EU related stuff (Selling goods but from France to Germany with them never actually touching our shores etc). This looks like a change that will affect me personally. Guess I have plenty of time to plan now - hadn't seen this publicised before...
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

+1

You may have a point but not before we have left and it would need a GE where it became a manifesto commitment by either labour or conservatives.

Indeed listening to the media since the cabinet approval of upto 40 billion there is a real anger growing about the EU demands and it is unlikely a large majority will emerge sometime soon
    If the parties' opinion poll ratings are roughly where they are now in a few years time, both of them will be tempted by taking a punt on rejoining. After all, if neither looks likely to win outright with their current offering they have little to lose by changing it. It sounds far from unlikely.

And as to the bill, that is a story that you can frame to suit your prejudices. You might blame the money grubbing bureaucrats. Or you might blame the government who put themselves in the position where they had no choice but to concede.
  • Options

Such people in "the North" seem to want to sponge off people they despise. But you seem to think it unreasonable that the people they despise might want to do something about that if they persist in that attitude.
    No the North and other regions want their fair share of investment - to suggest Northern people sponge off people they despise is so absurd it is not worth commenting on further
  • Options

No the North and other regions want their fair share of investment - to suggest Northern people sponge off people they despise is so absurd it is not worth commenting on further
    Dyed in the wool southerner here, but I absolutely agree.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,955

GIN1138 said:

+1

If the parties' opinion poll ratings are roughly where they are now in a few years time, both of them will be tempted by taking a punt on rejoining. After all, if neither looks likely to win outright with their current offering they have little to lose by changing it. It sounds far from unlikely.

And as to the bill, that is a story that you can frame to suit your prejudices. You might blame the money grubbing bureaucrats. Or you might blame the government who put themselves in the position where they had no choice but to concede.
    I'd argue that both sides would have a lot to lose from doing a U-turn on brexit.
  • Options

London hoses the North with subsidies. That's exactly what you are describing.
  • Options

Personally I'm very grateful for people living and generating taxes in our expensive and cramped capital so I don't have to :)
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited November 2017

Magical Free Investment, you mean? 'Cos consideration of the tax base somewhat undermines the logic of your comment.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

I'll let you into a little secret, I knew a few people running the Tory campaign in 2015.

End of April 2015, I met them in person in a bar of a very nice hotel in central London, this is what they said to me

Them: We're pulling major resources out of Rochester & Strood.

Me: Fuck, that [moderated] c**t's going to win.

Them: No, we're home and hosed, his fat arse is going to be kicked.

Me: Fucking Yes! Yes! Yes!

Then I could feel the eyes of the concierge burning on me with disgust at my language, I may have been transformed into Brian Blessed in my excitement.

I then spent the rest of the campaign worried about Tory hubris and making myself ill over it.

That's how much of an effect TPD had on me.
    Mmmm, I can now see why the Tories divisions on Europe are so bitter......
This discussion has been closed.