Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Deal or no deal

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Nigel Farage has a piece in the Telegraph. The comments are all foaming at the mouth for him to get back into frontline politics because the Conservatives are 'betraying Brexit'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/21/inch-inch-conservatives-surrendering-every-one-brexit-red-lines/
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

We do ours manually here as we have ALOT of 'odd' EU related stuff (Selling goods but from France to Germany with them never actually touching our shores etc). This looks like a change that will affect me personally. Guess I have plenty of time to plan now - hadn't seen this publicised before...

Yep, yours is exactly the kind of business which might find this a real headache, made worse by the fact the the VAT regulations might be changing at the same time.

My guess is that they will end up delaying this yet again (it was supposed to start April 2018, and cover Corporation Tax and Income Tax as well, which would have been a complete nightmare). However, for now we have to plan on the basis that it will go ahead.

In the case of my company it's not a huge deal, but we will have to change accounting system because our current system is no longer updated and so won't be able to link to HMRC.
  • Options

The London media obviously bemoaning the loss of 1,000 jobs but I genuinely think that ordinary people outside London and the bubble couldn't care less.

London has created a media and elite narrative always focussing on London as if it represents the Country.

I see. So the point has been reached where a thousand London job losses are of no interest to those outside the capital.

Remind me why London should continually lavish funds on such a surly bunch.
    That is just the attitude that resulted in Brexit
    And that's just the attitude that will result in London demanding far more control of the money that it earns, rather than waste it on people who hate it.
    With respect, that is just so divisive it is to be ignored.

The North already see that attitude but it is rare to see it expressed so openly
    You apparently relish job losses for London but want its money. And you describe my attitude as divisive?
    I do not relish any job losses anywhere. Because I convey an opinion expressed through the media does not mean I endorse it but I can understand why people in the North have this anger towards London
    Such people in "the North" seem to want to sponge off people they despise. But you seem to think it unreasonable that the people they despise might want to do something about that if they persist in that attitude.
    No the North and other regions want their fair share of investment - to suggest Northern people sponge off people they despise is so absurd it is not worth commenting on further
    Dyed in the wool southerner here, but I absolutely agree.
    +1
  • Options

Sandpit said:

LOL. Ask any Tory what was their favourite single moment of the 2015 election night, and it is almost certainly that TPD getting his arse handed to him on a plate being unsuccessful in the defence of his seat.

I was 3000 miles away and could hear the cheering!

I'll let you into a little secret, I knew a few people running the Tory campaign in 2015.

End of April 2015, I met them in person in a bar of a very nice hotel in central London, this is what they said to me

Them: We're pulling major resources out of Rochester & Strood.

Me: Fuck, that [moderated] c**t's going to win.

Them: No, we're home and hosed, his fat arse is going to be kicked.

Me: Fucking Yes! Yes! Yes!

Then I could feel the eyes of the concierge burning on me with disgust at my language, I may have been transformed into Brian Blessed in my excitement.

I then spent the rest of the campaign worried about Tory hubris and making myself ill over it.

That's how much of an effect TPD had on me.
    Mmmm, I can now see why the Tories divisions on Europe are so bitter......
    It was nothing to do with Europe, honest.

I would have been similarly wound up by a Tory MP that defected to Labour or the Lib Dems (even over the EU) on the eve of the Tory conference in an attempt to destabilise the final Tory conference before the general election.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903

Pulpstar said:

We do ours manually here as we have ALOT of 'odd' EU related stuff (Selling goods but from France to Germany with them never actually touching our shores etc). This looks like a change that will affect me personally. Guess I have plenty of time to plan now - hadn't seen this publicised before...

Yep, yours is exactly the kind of business which might find this a real headache, made worse by the fact the the VAT regulations might be changing at the same time.

My guess is that they will end up delaying this yet again (it was supposed to start April 2018, and cover Corporation Tax and Income Tax as well, which would have been a complete nightmare). However, for now we have to plan on the basis that it will go ahead.

In the case of my company it's not a huge deal, but we will have to change accounting system because our current system is no longer updated and so won't be able to link to HMRC.
    Have to start using the proper VAT codes on EU stuff instead of just '0' !
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    "Annual spending growth of almost 6% exceeded a rise of nearly 4% in tax receipts, reflecting the slowdown in the economy’s growth rate from 0.7% in the final three months of 2016 to 0.3% in the first quarter of 2017."

Austerity?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    ‘EU member states have sought legal advice from the European Commission over a possible extension of the two-year negotiation period set out in Article 50’

The quote is from TSE's summary above.

The extension is allowed explicitly in Article 50 itself. In fact, that was the main gist of Dominic Grieve's speech during the debate last week when he opposed setting the leaving date as 29th March 2019 in the EU Withdrawal bill.

I think the legal advice being sought is how to do it. I think all 27 + 1 countries will agree to it. The UK Parliament certainly will.
  • Options

Nigel Farage has a piece in the Telegraph. The comments are all foaming at the mouth for him to get back into frontline politics because the Conservatives are 'betraying Brexit'.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/21/inch-inch-conservatives-surrendering-every-one-brexit-red-lines/

Eh? Betraying Brexit? They are headed as fast as their fat little legs can carry them to the national humiliation of WTO, third country status that these fools all long for.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Which Accounts software lobbyist managed to get this one through !
    If the VAT threshold gets lowered, this could mean huge extra costs for very small businesses - Accounting software licenses aren't cheap.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

The London media obviously bemoaning the loss of 1,000 jobs but I genuinely think that ordinary people outside London and the bubble couldn't care less.

London has created a media and elite narrative always focussing on London as if it represents the Country.

I see. So the point has been reached where a thousand London job losses are of no interest to those outside the capital.

And that's just the attitude that will result in London demanding far more control of the money that it earns, rather than waste it on people who hate it.

The North already see that attitude but it is rare to see it expressed so openly
    You apparently relish job losses for London but want its money. And you describe my attitude as divisive?
    I do not relish any job losses anywhere. Because I convey an opinion expressed through the media does not mean I endorse it but I can understand why people in the North have this anger towards London
    Such people in "the North" seem to want to sponge off people they despise. But you seem to think it unreasonable that the people they despise might want to do something about that if they persist in that attitude.
    No the North and other regions want their fair share of investment - to suggest Northern people sponge off people they despise is so absurd it is not worth commenting on further
    +1
    Punishing whole areas of the country for dumb insolence and general attitude does seem a bit at odds with the ideals of liberal democracy. An unpleasant reminder that borderline-fascist snobbery is alive and well, just a bit to the left of where one used to find it.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

‘EU member states have sought legal advice from the European Commission over a possible extension of the two-year negotiation period set out in Article 50’

The quote is from TSE's summary above.

The extension is allowed explicitly in Article 50 itself. In fact, that was the main gist of Dominic Grieve's speech during the debate last week when he opposed setting the leaving date as 29th March 2019 in the EU Withdrawal bill.

I think the legal advice being sought is how to do it. I think all 27 + 1 countries will agree to it. The UK Parliament certainly will.

Probably working out how it has to be announced, how the term of the extension is defined, that kind of stuff.
  • Options

I have no problem with people of lower income anywhere - including the North. I have problem giving subsidies to the f***ing farmers who are crying their red diesels out that they cannot afford to run their Discovery's.

That's what you call spongers.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

I have no problem with people of lower income anywhere - including the North. I have problem giving subsidies to the f***ing farmers who are crying their red diesels out that they cannot afford to run their Discovery's.

And who fed this habit? The EU, of course. :smiley:
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Which Accounts software lobbyist managed to get this one through !
    If the VAT threshold gets lowered, this could mean huge extra costs for very small businesses - Accounting software licenses aren't cheap.
    On the plus side, accounting software is getting more sophisticated and real time, so the need for accountants is diminishing.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848

Sandpit said:

LOL. Ask any Tory what was their favourite single moment of the 2015 election night, and it is almost certainly that TPD getting his arse handed to him on a plate being unsuccessful in the defence of his seat.

I was 3000 miles away and could hear the cheering!

I'll let you into a little secret, I knew a few people running the Tory campaign in 2015.

End of April 2015, I met them in person in a bar of a very nice hotel in central London, this is what they said to me

Them: We're pulling major resources out of Rochester & Strood.

Me: Fuck, that [moderated] c**t's going to win.

Them: No, we're home and hosed, his fat arse is going to be kicked.

Me: Fucking Yes! Yes! Yes!

Then I could feel the eyes of the concierge burning on me with disgust at my language, I may have been transformed into Brian Blessed in my excitement.

I then spent the rest of the campaign worried about Tory hubris and making myself ill over it.

That's how much of an effect TPD had on me.
    Mmmm, I can now see why the Tories divisions on Europe are so bitter......
    It was nothing to do with Europe, honest.

I would have been similarly wound up by a Tory MP that defected to Labour or the Lib Dems (even over the EU) on the eve of the Tory conference in an attempt to destabilise the final Tory conference before the general election.
    Yes, it wasn’t the defection per se, but the nature of it and the timing for maximum effect.

The equivalent of a wife standing up in the middle of a family reunion and telling her husband she wants a divorce.
  • Options
    RobD said:

"Annual spending growth of almost 6% exceeded a rise of nearly 4% in tax receipts, reflecting the slowdown in the economy’s growth rate from 0.7% in the final three months of 2016 to 0.3% in the first quarter of 2017."

Austerity?
    No. Inflation has picked up and the self-employed are not paying their taxes.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621

+1
    Giving a "+1" to someone who is agreeing with you is a little circular!!

I'm a dyed in the wool northerner who lives in London. My parents live in Cumbria and the anti-London bilge can get rather tiresome.

Comments such as "you get free museums and the channel tunnel" are frequent, as is "I had to drive 30 miles to see the man about my hip, and there are about 20 good hospitals you Londoners can go to on your doorstep".

I find it hard to muster sympathy when I look out of the window and see one of the most beautiful national parks in the world, and consider that it took them 20 minutes to drive 30 miles, and it takes me 30 mins to get to the nearest A&E in even modest London traffic.

Nowadays I just make another G&T and talk about the weather.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    GIN1138 said:

It is the difference between the generations that is going to be the problem in the medium to long term.

Even if we leave (and I still think it won't happen), there will be a majority to rejoin within ten to fifteen years.

Who knows what terms we will get. But certainly no rebates.
    Only problem with that thesis is that eventually the young become old... And get more right wing as they do so. ;)
    Except that what is "right wing" moves as well, particularly on social and cultural issues...
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Memo to Phil Hammond:

Making Tax Digital for VAT is currently set to come into force (i.e. require mandatory electronic VAT accounting and submission) three days after Brexit day. Have you thought this through?

Who on earth does it by paper these days ?

I assume this post has been prompted by the fact it is the 21st so EC Sales are due ;)
    Can you do it otherwise ?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Yes, it wasn’t the defection per se, but the nature of it and the timing for maximum effect.

The equivalent of a wife standing up in the middle of a family reunion and telling her husband she wants a divorce.

Or invoking Article 50 in the week of the 60th anniversary of the Treaty of Rome?
  • Options
    So is everybody playing nice this evening?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

Memo to Phil Hammond:

Making Tax Digital for VAT is currently set to come into force (i.e. require mandatory electronic VAT accounting and submission) three days after Brexit day. Have you thought this through?

Someone I know recently described Philip Hammond as the David Moyes of politics. He wasn't wrong.
  • Options
    surbiton said:

RobD said:

Austerity?
    No. Inflation has picked up and the self-employed are not paying their taxes.
    Inflation is at 6%+?
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    surbiton said:

Farmers are on average lower-income people, that is not the plural of Discovery which is a vehicle very few farmers drive, red diesel is used for agricultural not transport purposes (and far too heavily policed by hmrc to be worth bending the rules), and I doubt you see a lot of farmers round Surbiton way. Is it just kulaks, or are there other large groups you know nothing about and irrationally hate? You really should see someone.
  • Options
    You've got to laugh at the Guardian's coverage of government borrowing.

It's all bad news... until you get to the bit that says "The lower levels of borrowing mean the chancellor is likely to undershoot the OBR’s March forecast for £58.3bn of borrowing during the financial year ending March 2018."

As in... it's actually good news...
  • Options
    US TV host Charlie Rose has been fired by CBS News following sexual harassment allegations.
  • Options
  • Options

You've got to laugh at the Guardian's coverage of government borrowing.

It's all bad news... until you get to the bit that says "The lower levels of borrowing mean the chancellor is likely to undershoot the OBR’s March forecast for £58.3bn of borrowing during the financial year ending March 2018."

As in... it's actually good news...

If we ever get PM jezza the guardian won’t have to worry about how to spin that kind of news anymore....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:
    My Samsung 8+ is really amazing and so easy to use
  • Options

US TV host Charlie Rose has been fired by CBS News following sexual harassment allegations.

Stephen Colbert won’t be writing a pile of jokes about that one!
  • Options
    iPhone X.

Face ID is the dog's dangly bits.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited November 2017

iPhone X.

Face ID is the dog's dangly bits.
    Good take down of why it isn’t...and the notch, that f##kin notch!

https://youtu.be/rdFXddVsUuQ
  • Options
    He's the sort of chap that puts pineapple on pizza, his views can be safely be ignored.
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    Sandpit said:

The season on hunting sexual predators is as open as Harvey Weinstein's bath robe.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,936

Pulpstar said:

Memo to Phil Hammond:

I assume this post has been prompted by the fact it is the 21st so EC Sales are due ;)
    No-one does it by paper, but that's not the point. Currently 87% of returns are done by people using the government gateway to type in the small number of figures required for a VAT return. On 1st April 2019 that will no longer be allowed, you have to be running an HMRC-approved electronic accounting system with direct links to HMRC.

It's a fairly big change for lots of small businesses, and also for some large businesses:

https://www.tax.org.uk/policy-technical/technical-news/making-tax-digital-vat-main-issues-consideration

Ordinarily this would be a significant but manageable transition, but I can't help feeling that both businesses and HMRC will have lots of other fires to put out just at that time.
    I hope we take the Italian approach - no-one does anything to prepare for it, then HMRC relent and allow the Govt gateway approach to continue. It makes no sense to change a system that works, is free and is a huge improvement on the paper submissions, for one which introduces an intermediate system, a cost, and almost certainly software incompatibilities.
  • Options
    I don't get the hatred for the notch, it is fine.

Mind you I didn't get the hate for the lack of 3.5mm jack.

1) I use wireless headphones beforehand

2) They provide you with a free adaptor so you can use your old 3.5mm jack headphones
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Only if he uses it as the segway to 10 trump jokes.
  • Options

2) They provide you with a free adaptor so you can use your old 3.5mm jack headphones

The adaptor goes into the lightning port, presumably? I tend to charge my phone and listen to wired headphones at the same time.

It is an entirely unnecessary change. And, I suspect, one they'll go back on eventually.
  • Options

Apple's main supplier in Asia has been employing high-school students working illegal overtime to assemble the iPhone X in an effort to catch up with demand after facing production delays, the Financial Times reported on Tuesday,
  • Options
    Now I want pineapple pizza.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    RobD said:

Now I want pineapple pizza.

Hopefully you aren’t going to stick on some Radiohead while eating said pizza!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

The adaptor goes into the lightning port, presumably? I tend to charge my phone and listen to wired headphones at the same time.

It is an entirely unnecessary change. And, I suspect, one they'll go back on eventually.
    No they won't. Only Samsung and Sony are the major brands sticking to the 3.5mm jack, the rest are abandoning it.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

No they won't. Only Samsung and Sony are the major brands sticking to the 3.5mm jack, the rest are abandoning it.
    What is the justification for doing it? Seems utterly pointless to me. It is putting me off upgrading my 6s.
  • Options

Apple's main supplier in Asia has been employing high-school students working illegal overtime to assemble the iPhone X in an effort to catch up with demand after facing production delays, the Financial Times reported on Tuesday,
    Virtually every business oriented media outfit has reported it today.
  • Options
    Oh no! Inflation is actually on target! :o
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

Maybe not. This reminds me of the first pc that came out with no floppy drive. It soon became the norm. Now that basic bluetooth earbuds are about $20 the change may stick.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Oh no! Inflation is actually on target! :o
    And steady at that, too, right? Two months at 3.0%?
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

What is the justification for doing it? Seems utterly pointless to me. It is putting me off upgrading my 6s.
    waterproofing, I think.

This is the best video of earphone testing ever:

https://youtu.be/tMirx_bwmWk
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Mortimer said:

Maybe not. This reminds me of the first pc that came out with no floppy drive. It soon became the norm. Now that basic bluetooth earbuds are about $20 the change may stick.
    Meh. I like the jack. I can’t be bothered to charge up yet another device.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    surbiton said:

Pulpstar said:

Memo to Phil Hammond:

Can you do it otherwise ?
    I'm VAT-regd. I thought online returns had been required from about 2012 with very few exceptions. But is this what you're thinking of? ... http://hmrcisshite.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/the-oncoming-customs-catastrophe.html
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

To try and make people buy the expensive Airpods and generally lock people further into their ecosystem. If you want to get a new phone then I'd seriously recommend the S8 or waiting for the new Xperia thats coming in April/May which is going to have a bezel minimising design and keep the 3.5mm jack. One advantage of the Xperia is that the fingerprint scanner is in the power button so the phone can be unlocked without having to pick it up from a desk. I find that really useful as my work iPhone does that as well, but my colleague's S8 doesn't (scanner on the back).
  • Options
    I did chuckle at the Samsung advert running in the us mocking the iCrap.

https://youtu.be/R59TevgzN3k
  • Options

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

waterproofing, I think.

Pandering to those who seem incapable of not dropping their phones in toilets/baths/puddles? How frustrating.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

So much for due process. There is no way that there was sufficient time for an investigation and then disciplinary hearing to take place.

No doubt they will have cleared it through their legal departments - but it should take more than allegations for anyone to lose their job. There has to be a proper process - no matter who the person is. Just because you are in the public eye doesn't mean that you are not subject to the same laws as everyone else - and that works both ways.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

waterproofing, I think.

I have the XZ Premium, it's water resistant to the same level and it has a headphone jack. If that was a problem then the lightning port would pose the same issue.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Ha, maybe. Another US story that seems to have passed most people by is the DOJ investigation of the AT&T/TimeWarner merger. Which has nothing at all to do with grandstanding politicians wanting to grill TW execs about harassment and casting couch culture, and certainly, absolutely, definitely has nothing whatsoever to do with the president’s lack of love for TW-owned CNN.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

waterproofing, I think.

.be/tMirx_bwmWk
    If it can have a waterproof charging port, it can have a waterproof headphone jack.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Mortimer said:

Until they've cracked a battery that lasts as long as the MacBook Air I'm typing on (constant use for 9 hours and still on 33%), they should leave sensible technology like headphones that don't need charging be.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Ha, maybe. Another US story that seems to have passed most people by is the DOJ investigation of the AT&T/TimeWarner merger. Which has nothing at all to do with grandstanding politicians wanting to grill TW execs about harassment and casting couch culture, and certainly, absolutely, definitely has nothing whatsoever to do with the president’s lack of love for TW-owned CNN.
    Total coincidence!
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Mortimer said:

Until they've cracked a battery that lasts as long as the MacBook Air I'm typing on (constant use for 9 hours and still on 33%), they should leave sensible technology like headphones that don't need charging be.
    Wake me up when we have fusion powered headphones.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

waterproofing, I think.

I have the XZ Premium, it's water resistant to the same level and it has a headphone jack. If that was a problem then the lightning port would pose the same issue.
    I have the XZ too. Waterproofing was the story, but I wasn't convinced either.

Great sound quality, but battery flattens a bit quickly, and keyboard is a bit annoying after my Samsung.

Never going back to iphone.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Mortimer said:

Wireless charging is good innovation for all of that. My colleague has a wireless charger for his S8 that also works for his watch and headphones. He just puts them all on the same charging plate and it works fine.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Mortimer said:

Premium Bluetooth headphone like the Sony mdr-1000 last 24hrs of constant use on a single charge.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

waterproofing, I think.

Great sound quality, but battery flattens a bit quickly, and keyboard is a bit annoying after my Samsung.

Might just buy a new 6s, tbh.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Mortimer said:

Premium Bluetooth headphone like the Sony mdr-1000 last 24hrs of constant use on a single charge.
    I was thinking more about the phone charging :)
  • Options

Mortimer said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Mortimer said:

still on my first charge after about eight years for my wired headphones ;)
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Mortimer said:

Wireless charging is good innovation for all of that. My colleague has a wireless charger for his S8 that also works for his watch and headphones. He just puts them all on the same charging plate and it works fine.
    Yeh, the wireless charging might be enough to make me switch. Problem is all my business machines are Macs.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

waterproofing, I think.

I went from the XZ to the XZ Premium, work had a buyback scheme which allowed me to change for less than 100 francs so I went for it. Haven't looked back. The best improvement is the battery life, even more than the screen. I used to end the day on 10-15% with the XZ, with the Premium it's still on 40% when I get to the end of day and I'm a fairly heavy user.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Mortimer said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Mortimer said:

I can’t live without active noise cancelling so I am going to have a chargeable set come what may, the Bluetooth wireless functionality is nice but not as important as blocking noise.
  • Options

So much for due process. There is no way that there was sufficient time for an investigation and then disciplinary hearing to take place.

No doubt they will have cleared it through their legal departments - but it should take more than allegations for anyone to lose their job. There has to be a proper process - no matter who the person is. Just because you are in the public eye doesn't mean that you are not subject to the same laws as everyone else - and that works both ways.
    He had admitted there was substance to the allegations:

https://twitter.com/charlierose/status/932747035069034496

We don't know exactly what he had admitted to, but it may well be that critical allegations were unchallenged and, indeed, he may have agreed to go in the circumstances.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

RobD said:

Mortimer said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Mortimer said:

I can’t live without active noise cancelling so I am going to have a chargeable set come what may, the Bluetooth wireless functionality is nice but not as important as blocking noise.
    I have the in-ear buds which passively block out all external stimuli. A life-saver in my open plan office.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

MaxPB said:

Mortimer said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Mortimer said:

Yeh, the wireless charging might be enough to make me switch. Problem is all my business machines are Macs.
    Android has played nicely with Macs for ages, I have an iPad Pro, iPhone 7, Sony XZ Premium, a Mac and a PC. All of them play nicely together except the iPhone 7 which loathes connecting to anything.
  • Options
    Let’s not get started on the new MacBook dongle hell, no MagSafe, and no escape key.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

It does, but you can buy things like this that do both at the same time

http://tinyurl.com/HurrahForApple
  • Options
    RobD said:

Let’s not get started on the new MacBook dongle hell, no MagSafe, and no escape key.

Are they actively making decisions to put me off staying with them??
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Total coincidence!
    Time Warner is one of the largest cable TV and internet companies in the US. AT&T is the largest satellite Pay TV broadcaster in the US, (it owns DirecTV), and one of the largest internet companies in the US. 4 out of 5 households here pay for cable/satellite. There is ample room for monopolistic concern.

The CNN thing seems odd though, on the face of it. It may have poor ratings these days, but it is a cash cow of epic proportions. Maybe having a dominant cable/satellite supplier own one of the major news organisations it supplies tips the balance.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    RobD said:

Plus all sorts of build quality issues.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Apples motto should be “there’s a (proprietary) dongle for that”.
  • Options

Mortimer said:

Great, so they charge more money and you have to buy an adaptor.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:
    With the good news that the chancellor will be coming in under target for borrowing burried at the end.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

RobD said:

Are they actively making decisions to put me off staying with them??
    It does seem that way, but Apple know their market well enough. I think iPhone 8 sales are going to be pants but loads of Apple people are extremely happy with their £1100 X. A friend got one on a £75/m contract for two years, madness.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Mortimer said:

I notice that amazon have followed suit with their new fire stick and tv. Removed ports for no good reason and then charge for a dongle to put them back.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Mortimer said:

RobD said:

Tim_B said:

Mortimer said:

I still can't find the battery on mine......
  • Options
    I for one would rather be having a bitter and vengeful argument about Brexit than enduring endless conversations about here-today-gone-tomorrow technology that none of us need.
  • Options

I for one would rather be having a bitter and vengeful argument about Brexit than enduring endless conversations about here-today-gone-tomorrow technology that none of us need.

:)
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2017

O/T, but, from the Guartdian https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/21/forensics-data-manipulation-may-have-affected-10000-cases
    Story goes on as follows.
    'Policing chiefs say confidence in the criminal justice system has been rocked by the alleged manipulation of data at a forensics laboratory that has led to the review of 10,000 cases across England and Wales.

Police said so far two cases involving road deaths had been referred to the court of appeal. About 50 cases of drug-driving have been discontinued.'

That’s quite frankly, dreadful.

Potentially awful.

Non-criminal family cases, too.

This is Randox's response;

http://www.randox.com/rts-whistleblower/
  • Options
    RobD said:

Mortimer said:

If you want to use fast charging on the new iPhone you have to buy a separate charger for £50 *and* a separate cable for £25.
  • Options

RobD said:

Mortimer said:

If you want to use fast charging on the new iPhone you have to buy a separate charger for £50 *and* a separate cable for £25.
    Wait, the charger doesn't come with the correct cable? That's mad. I thought it was ridiculous that the fast charger didn't come with the £1100 phone, but that really takes the biscuit.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

C'mon.

First thing that MaxPB and I have ever agreed on :)

Happy Holidays!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

Mortimer said:

Wait, the charger doesn't come with the correct cable? That's mad. I thought it was ridiculous that the fast charger didn't come with the £1100 phone, but that really takes the biscuit.
    Probably cost about 3 cents to make, too.
  • Options
    Tim_B said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Total coincidence!
    Time Warner is one of the largest cable TV and internet companies in the US. AT&T is the largest satellite Pay TV broadcaster in the US, (it owns DirecTV), and one of the largest internet companies in the US. 4 out of 5 households here pay for cable/satellite. There is ample room for monopolistic concern.

The CNN thing seems odd though, on the face of it. It may have poor ratings these days, but it is a cash cow of epic proportions. Maybe having a dominant cable/satellite supplier own one of the major news organisations it supplies tips the balance.
    TW split off the cable business a couple of years ago. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_Warner_Cable

TW that’s left are purely content producers, AT&T are platform and infrastructure owners, so it’s very much a vertical acquisition and not quite as bad as might first have been thought. Still no good for consumers though.
  • Options

I'm currently putting the finishing touches on a thread that discusses both a new Scottish Independence referendum and AV.
  • Options
    edited November 2017

I'm currently putting the finishing touches on a thread that discusses both a new Scottish Independence referendum and AV.
    You know what makes a perfect evening? A nice pineapple pizza and a good AV thread. :smiley:
  • Options
    RobD said:

You know what makes a perfect evening? A nice pineapple pizza and a good AV thread. :smiley:
    This one is for the weekend.

The threads over the next few days are going to be dominated by the budget.
  • Options

Surely it will be the frontline, literally, that our Nige will be returning to.

'Nigel Farage would 'pick up a rifle' if Brexit is not delivered'

http://tinyurl.com/ybc5ul2m
This discussion has been closed.