Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Next Foreign Secretary betting

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited September 2013 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The Next Foreign Secretary betting

Following on from the House of Commons vote on military action in Syria, Labour sources claimed that William Hague, the Foreign Secretary, was “very, very angry” and threatened to quit over David Cameron’s decision to go straight to a parliamentary vote.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    First!
  • Options
    On the principle that things usually don't happen, I like the look of Douglas Alexander at 4/1.
  • Options
    Was the alleged threat to quit about having the vote or was it about losing it? If Hague was going to go wouldn't he have gone by now?

I think Cameron is in more danger than Hague, because Hague's future depends on him and Cameron keeping cool, which they usually do, whereas Cameron's depends on his 46 least stable MPs.
  • Options
    JohnLoonyJohnLoony Posts: 1,790
    Mao said: it doesn't matter whether the cat is black or white, as long as it catches mice.
    I say: it doesn't matter whether Gareth Bale plays for Spurs or Real Madrid, as long as he's beautiful.
  • Options
    Was it supposed to be "That Was The Week Which Existed" or "That (thing over there) Was The Week, That (thing over there) Was"?
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549
    TSE: Are your comments re: Andrew Mitchell legally watertight ?
  • Options
    JohnLoony said:

Mao said: it doesn't matter whether the cat is black or white, as long as it catches mice.
    I say: it doesn't matter whether Gareth Bale plays for Spurs or Real Madrid, as long as he's beautiful.

Mao or Deng ?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

JohnLoony said:

Mao or Deng ?
    Oh, er, not sure. Probably. I am too busy being distracted by how beautiful Gareth Bale is.

• Options
    The Arab League calling for Assad's arrest and to be tried for war crimes.. oh dear.
  • Options
    Dave and Hague not best mates right now? Oh dear. Dave needs to learn to listen more. He needs a Willie. (Whitelaw)
  • Options
    Now this lunacy really could push us (and the Germans?) out of the EU:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/road-safety/10278702/EU-plans-to-fit-all-cars-with-speed-limiters.html
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    If I can get round to it, I'll put a few bob on Osborne in a second Tory led government in May 2015.
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    One for PBers

"A geek is not a weed, a wimp or a dweeb. Although weeds, wimps and dweebs can be geeks if they work at it. Wonks can be geeks, but more usually tend to be nerds. Nor are geeks dorks. Dorks are always American.

As The Times reports today, the term “geek” has ceased to be an insult. A survey of a thousand people has revealed that established, pre-eminent dictionary definitions of the term (“an unfashionable or socially inept person” — Oxford English Dictionary; “boring and unattractive social misfit” — Collins) no longer have mass support. Thus, they are bound soon to change. Dictionaries are read by nerds, and possibly compiled by them, too, but geeks do the PR.

The change, at any rate, is overdue. The geek is a new phenomenon. He (or increasingly, she) is an evangelist. He values knowledge not for personal advancement (unlike a nerd) or for social ends (a wonk) but as a fun thing to tell other geeks. You will have seen them on your television, on prime-time documentaries and panel shows, spreading the wide-eyed joy of whatever it is that they are geeks about. Nerds and wonks, by contrast, only get on sports shows and the news... >> http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/opinion/leaders/article3857830.ece
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    I note neither of PB's great travellers -SeanT and JohnO are quoted .... although perhaps JohnO would be more suited to be SoS for Transport with Sunil as Minister for Rail.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,974
    In the same way as backbench Tories have something of a lock on appointing a LibDem (therefore pro-EU) as Foreign Secretary, don't the LibDems have something of a lock on appointing someone so anti the EU as Patterson?
  • Options
    Jeff Randell in his usual form http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/labour/10279556/Now-for-Labours-lies-about-immigration.html

"... Labour MP Jon Cruddas admits that “historians will look back on the past few decades and identify immigration as perhaps the major change to our country.” Not everyone thinks it is a change for the better. According to a weekend poll of 20,000 people, 60 per cent believe immigration has brought more disadvantages than advantages. Under Blair and Brown, Labour’s approach to immigration was voodoo economics masquerading as respectable politics. Its 2005 manifesto, all 112 pages, was a masterpiece of obfuscation, devoting just 16 lines to “Migration: the facts”.

Instead of setting out the possible consequences of a policy that would result in 1.5 million net (legal) immigrants in seven years, 2004-2010, it simply stated: “Skilled migrants are contributing 10-15 per cent of our economy’s growth”. No mention of housing shortages, pressures on schools or anything else remotely negative. The rest was a red herring about how much business visitors and tourists spend in Britain, which has nothing to do with immigration, and a wholly misleading paragraph on asylum seekers, creating an impression that Labour was on top of the problem. This was a false prospectus. Had similar claims been made by company directors, they would be facing a ban from corporate life."
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited September 2013
    MItchell seems unlikely now that The Sun has not rolled over. Nor do I believe that the Prime Minister really wants Mitchell back, but if he does, Mitchell's old job in the whips office might soon become available, after the Syria debacle.
  • Options
    A comprehensive school in the north of Cardiff has this year provided us with the world's most expensive footballer and the winning captain of the Lions.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    Plato:

Mail and last of the spreadsheets for you.
  • Options
    SMukeshSMukesh Posts: 1,650
    Hague will stay.Noone resigns from this government!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    If Hague goes (unlikely) then Hammond looks good value. A reliable pair of hands with defence experience. He is the reliable pair of hands.

MItchell seems unlikely now that The Sun has not rolled over. Nor do I believe that the Prime Minister really wants Mitchell back, but if he does, Mitchell's old job in the whips office might soon become available, after the Syria debacle.

• Options
    JohnLoony said:

I just wish he had played for Team GB in the Olympics.
  • Options
    Michael Gove is shockingly poor value at 4/1 against, given the man's aversion to travel (and yes, I know he's been on a "fear of flying" course).

Would Osborne fancy it? George has contacts in Washington, and now might be a good time to step aside as Chancellor -- he can spin his tenure as having rescued the UK economy from the abyss and now we can see the recovery. It might also provide a reason for not being involved in the party's losing 2015 election campaign (where he'd be in danger of being squeezed out anyway). 6/1 against is not hugely tempting, as you can get 5/1 against Hague going (and iirc there is or was somewhere a "will Osborne still be Chancellor?" market) but if there were an interregnum between Hague resigning and a replacement being chosen (which I doubt) then this might be where my money goes.
  • Options
    SMukesh .. Resignations , Laws..Huhne..Fox..Strathclyde..Mitchell..
  • Options
    Doesn't SMukesh mean that no-one resigns unless they have to? Not as a result of "principles". Or even doing job badly!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830
    FPT, the three groups the Nazis failed to make much of a breakthrough with were political Catholics, due to anti-clericalism, working class voters in big cities, who were strongly committed to SPD and KPD, and the upper-classes, who were put off by their violence, anti-semitism, and anti-capitalist rhetoric.

Working class voters in smaller cities and rural areas supported the Nazis in droves.
  • Options
    Hague is not going anywhere this side of 2015 - unless this happens:

http://www.snp.org/media-centre/news/2013/sep/year-go-yes-point-ahead
  • Options

If Hague goes (unlikely) then Hammond looks good value. A reliable pair of hands with defence experience. He is the reliable pair of hands.

But Hammond has just mixed up Assad and Saddam on Newsnight: if he became Foreign Secretary, this would go viral and the headlines write themselves. In any case, Hammond's background is more suited to an economic brief, so perhaps Chancellor if Osborne replaces Hague, or even Business Secretary if Clegg and Cameron shuffle their parties' allocations.

• Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    The interesting story this week might well come from Paris. I understand that the French are as opposed to action against Syria as the UK and Hollande is very unpopular. It might end up being just the US and PB's own superhero Doddy
  • Options
    Financier said:

Plato:

Mail and last of the spreadsheets for you.

Mwah!
  • Options
    Roger said:

The interesting story this week might well come from Paris. I understand that the French are as opposed to action against Syria as the UK and Hollande is very unpopular. It might end up being just the US and PB's own superhero Doddy

Or just the latter, depending what happens in the House...
  • Options
    Roger said:

And the news is not getting better:

@GavinHewitt Another sign of the struggling French economy. Auto registrations down 11% last month. Fiat and Renault buck the trend.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    @Carlotta.

Interesting poll. Either Panelbase-slight lead for 'Yes' or Yougov-2 to 1 for 'No' are going to have egg on their face.
  • Options
    Looking at the previous thread I have worries about Avery's sanity.

Might I suggest he joins Cousin Seth on that Cleethorpes holiday.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Hague may be a better bet as EU commissioner. He seems tired of Westminster.

With Iraq heavily influencing Syria policy, I cannot see hammonds gaffe as anything more than mildly amusing, and I saw it live.

But Hammond has just mixed up Assad and Saddam on Newsnight: if he became Foreign Secretary, this would go viral and the headlines write themselves. In any case, Hammond's background is more suited to an economic brief, so perhaps Chancellor if Osborne replaces Hague, or even Business Secretary if Clegg and Cameron shuffle their parties' allocations.

• Options
    I'm particularly baffled as to this line that Avery (and RN) were giving that EdM is somehow desperate to have another vote on Syria.

Now if EdM voted to support bombing that would:

1) Put him in opposition to a large majority of the public
    2) Split the Labour party

Why would he want to do that ?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

The polls in Scotland are all over the place or perhaps more accurately diametrically opposed depending on who commissioned them.
  • Options

Why would this make any difference to Hague? Might to Danny Alexander but why Hague.

• Options
    BenMBenM Posts: 1,795
    edited September 2013
    Plato said:
    Randall has totally lost his marbles since leaving the BBC. The corporation is well rid of him.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Working class voters in smaller cities and rural areas supported the Nazis in droves.

Its surprising how often people associate the working class with large cities and industrial areas and assume that rural areas are exclusively middle class.

Perhaps because politicans, journalists etc only experience middle class rural areas either by living or taking holidays in those parts.

• Options
    Malcolm Bruce (LD, Gordon) to retire in 2015
    http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/3376676

4th LibDem MP to do so
  • Options
    Roger said:

Could Doddy ride the bomb as in Dr.Strangelove ?
  • Options
    If they made Hague commissioner would they actually need a by-election? I don't think they take office until November, 2014 or thereabouts. If memory serves Gordon Brown left seats unfilled for a good few months at the end of the parliament - maybe they could just leave it vacant?
  • Options
    surbiton said:

Roger said:

Will you put yourself in amongst the Syrian civilians who might be in line for a gas attack?
  • Options

Why would this make any difference to Hague? Might to Danny Alexander but why Hague.

If Scotland votes for independence, Cameron as "the PM who lost the Union" would be in serious trouble.....Hague could be the "safe pair of hands"......
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071

But Hammond has just mixed up Assad and Saddam on Newsnight: if he became Foreign Secretary, this would go viral and the headlines write themselves.

And yet Obama somehow managed to become President despite saying there were 57 states in the USA. Slips of the tongue are not as exciting as you think they are.

• Options

surbiton said:

Roger said:

Will you put yourself in amongst the Syrian civilians who might be in line for a gas attack?
    Will you put yourself in amongst the Syrian civilians who might be in line for beheading?

You see we can all make similar comments.

If you want to intervene you need to explain:

1) What the goal is
    2) How you are going to acheve that goal
    3) What the consequences will be
    4) How you are going to deal with those consequences

So far none of the interventionists have managed to do that, most aren't even willing to attempt to do so.

• Options
    @Edmund

"Or just the latter, depending what happens in the House..."

It seems we have a very strange way of policing the world now. If a country breaks an international law such as using chemical weapons any country without needing UN approval can take unilateral action.

This is now about to happen with the US and Syria but what's to stop any country with a gripe or wanting to try out their arsenal finding fault with another country? The evidence doesn't need to be established by anyone other than the country choosing to take action.
  • Options
    "It suits both Cameron and Miliband to move on from Syria - there won't be a second vote
    Both leaders have a shared political interest in avoiding the party splits that a new vote on military action would cause."

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2013/09/it-suits-both-cameron-and-miliband-move-syria-there-wont-be-second-vote
  • Options
    Surbiton.. Lets see how heroic you are when the next batch of slaughtered kids are pictured on the news.. betcha would feel proud..
    Thanks to the likes of you we are now not even in a negotiating stance.. how stupid can Labour get..
  • Options
    @AR.

5. And how many people will be killed or maimed carrying out that action because that is the SOLE responsibility of the country taking action
  • Options
    Osborne in Aberdeen tomorrow:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/sep/02/scottish-households-better-off-reject-independence

"Scottish households 'would be £2,000 better off if voters reject independence'
    George Osborne to argue that remaining in the UK would boost real incomes in Scotland by 4% over the next 30 years"
  • Options
    Roger said:

@Edmund

"Or just the latter, depending what happens in the House..."

It seems we have a very strange way of policing the world now. If a country breaks an international law such as using chemical weapons any country without needing UN approval can take unilateral action.

This is now about to happen with the US and Syria but what's to stop any country with a gripe or wanting to try out their arsenal finding fault with another country? The evidence doesn't need to be established by anyone other than the country choosing to take action.

Sounds like you need to organise a demo Roger, a great big one with lots of hairy people and banners saying stop something. That'll sort it out, remember how "Ronnie Ray-gun" trembled ? It will be the same with send him "back to Baraks".
  • Options
    BBC Breaking News @BBCBreaking
    "I can't foresee any circumstances" where MPs would be asked to vote again on Syria action - UK Deputy PM Nick Clegg bbc.in/18wHZud
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    tim said:

So Jerrycan Maude is going to get rid of the census.

Kate Allen ‏@StatsJournalist 1h
    The death of the Census: England and Wales to scrap decadal survey that's been running since 1801 http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/380c2bd4-116b-11e3-a14c-00144feabdc0.html?siteedition=uk

Stupid stupid policy, hopefully will go the same way as the Forestry sell off once the public click.

Quite. The census is the ten year stocktake which verifies if your working figures are correct. Germany found it had 1.5 million less people when it held it's last one, often the working estimates government uses are wrong.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Roger said:

Will you put yourself in amongst the Syrian civilians who might be in line for beheading?

1) What the goal is

So far none of the interventionists have managed to do that, most aren't even willing to attempt to do so.

I have done that passim, as have others. It seems you have not listened to the answers. The consequences are harder to ascertain and vaguer, but the no-action folks also need to answer that as well. Inaction has as many risks and consequences as action.

So I guess your answer is no. It's so easy to sentence people to gassing when you're safe in your home thousands of miles away. Until the use of chemical weapons spreads, which is one of the not-insignificant risks of not taking action.

And I am getting fed up with this inane rebels = AQ talk. Yes, there are some AQ groups amongst the rebels, but the rebels are not all AQ. There are some good people fighting not for religion, but to remove an evil man. There are also some highly dodgy groups on Assad's side.

Since you seem to feel free to take the Syrian line that any intervention helps AQ, I can feel free to say that your inaction supports the regime that likely not only gassed civilians, but also did the various Hama massacres and other hideous enterprises: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hama_massacre

Be careful which mast you nail your colours to.
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2013
    Wodger.. Grouchos very own burst couch General..The only loud noises he hears are the sounds of champagne corks popping..
  • Options
    tim said:

The death of the Census: England and Wales to scrap decadal survey that's been running since 1801 http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/380c2bd4-116b-11e3-a14c-00144feabdc0.html?siteedition=uk

Stupid stupid policy, hopefully will go the same way as the Forestry sell off once the public click.

Why's it stupid? I don't know if the alternatives they suggest will be any good but you'd think you'd be able to get a lot of good data if you had 480 million quid to spend on surveys. Presumably they already have low enough response rates to need to do a fair bit of statistical voodoo to get meaningful information from it, so why not go the whole way and just survey representative samples?
  • Options

Surbiton.. Lets see how heroic you are when the next batch of slaughtered kids are pictured on the news.. betcha would feel proud..
    Thanks to the likes of you we are now not even in a negotiating stance.. how stupid can Labour get..

The Labour amendment actually backed intervention but was voted down by the government which had, at the same time, not lined up its own MPs to vote. Nor did ministers make a good case on the evidence -- contrast Hague's and Kerry's speeches. The vote failed because of government incompetence, not Labour perfidy.

So you are blaming the wrong party.

On your perpetual shroud-waving, over 100,000 Syrian people have been killed already in this civil war, not just the thousand gas victims. No-one is talking about stopping the war.
  • Options

tim said:

Why's it stupid? I don't know if the alternatives they suggest will be any good but you'd think you'd be able to get a lot of good data if you had 480 million quid to spend on surveys. Presumably they already have low enough response rates to need to do a fair bit of statistical voodoo to get meaningful information from it, so why not go the whole way and just survey representative samples?
    Because every so often you need an audit to confirm your base figures are correct, and surveys don't do that.
  • Options
    OKC..Are you the official interpretr for SMukesh now.. He said what he said, it is up to him to define what he means.
  • Options
    DJL .. Labour are not even talking about the possibility of ending the war.. we do not have an iron in the fire now .. Thanks Ed , nice one
  • Options
    GeoffM said:

But Hammond has just mixed up Assad and Saddam on Newsnight: if he became Foreign Secretary, this would go viral and the headlines write themselves.

And yet Obama somehow managed to become President despite saying there were 57 states in the USA. Slips of the tongue are not as exciting as you think they are.

It is a question of timing. In six months it won't matter but if Hague has not resigned by the end of September, the point will be moot.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

Response rate in 2011 was 94%
    Blimey, see your point then.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

FPT, the three groups the Nazis failed to make much of a breakthrough with were political Catholics, due to anti-clericalism, working class voters in big cities, who were strongly committed to SPD and KPD, and the upper-classes, who were put off by their violence, anti-semitism, and anti-capitalist rhetoric.

One can only wonder the scope of Nazi support from these groups if there had been an election in the 1935-1938 period. IMO the NSPAD would have polled very heavily outwith any dubious interventions.

• Options
    Graeme Archer excellent as ever http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/graemearcher/100233740/i-hope-the-stop-the-war-types-havent-thrown-away-their-placards-we-need-another-vote-on-syria/

"...This is how Westminster sees success: by "forcing" people to do what they wanted to do, which would be achieved, in Ed Miliband's case, by doing that which he'd given the impression he would do last week, before he changed his mind and didn't do it.

Just look at the language: "Ben Bradshaw, a former Labour Cabinet minister, suggested [my emphasis] he would now support a second Parliamentary vote being called." Well. If members of the stature of Mr Bradshaw are now suggesting that they support another vote, on a motion that would – casuistry aside – have to be substantively identical to the one voted down 96 hours ago, one wonders: why didn't you support the vote last week?...
  • Options
    @Jessop

"There are some good people fighting not for religion, but to remove an evil man"

You obviously spent too much time watching American films. The real world is more nuanced than your rather childish view of goodies and baddies.

• Options

surbiton said:

Roger said:

1) What the goal is

Since you seem to feel free to take the Syrian line that any intervention helps AQ, I can feel free to say that your inaction supports the regime that likely not only gassed civilians, but also did the various Hama massacres and other hideous enterprises: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hama_massacre

Be careful which mast you nail your colours to.
    Less than a decade after Hama we were allied with Syria in the Kuwait war.

And only a few years ago we were sending terrorist suspects to Syria for their expert interrogating.

Fascinating how the crimes of some regimes become acceptable when they're on our side.
  • Options
    edited September 2013

4th LibDem MP to do so

Difficult to see the yellow peril hanging onto the seat now.

• Options
    Roger said:

@Jessop

"There are some good people fighting not for religion, but to remove an evil man"

You obviously spent too much time watching American films. The real world is more nuanced than your rather childish view of goodies and baddies.

That's exactly what I'm saying! People on here are saying the rebels = AQ. My post said that it was more complex than that. Which it is.

Care to direct your venom elsewhere? Or otherwise, learn to read.
  • Options

surbiton said:

Roger said:

1) What the goal is

I have done that passim, as have others. It seems you have not listened to the answers.
    Perhaps you could remind us, I hope your ideas are more coherant than those of Eagles.

• Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2013
    wodger talks about the real world ... he makes TV commercials..and then seems to spend the rest of his time in an alcoholic haze.. amazing stuff
    He thinks Tom and Jerry cartoons are breaking news.
    Thinks it is dreadful that his daughter only has a 50k pa allowance, how can she possibly survive on that.
    Wodgers world.
  • Options
    tim said:

Osborne in Aberdeen tomorrow:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2013/sep/02/scottish-households-better-off-reject-independence

"Scottish households 'would be £2,000 better off if voters reject independence'
    George Osborne to argue that remaining in the UK would boost real incomes in Scotland by 4% over the next 30 years"

Why would Labour migration fall if Scotland is going to remain in the EU?
    We'll have to await the Treasury paper tomorrow, but parts of it look like it is based on analysis of trading/labour movements between free trade partners and within single countries (Canada/US, Germany/Austria) - clearly not perfect analogies - but better than the SNP's blithe 'nothing will change' or 'everything will change for the better' - depending on the question......

• Options
    YEAH!

Markit Economics @MarkitEconomics
    Final UK Manu #PMI hits two-and-a-half year high of 57.2 in August, up from July’s rev. 54.8 (prev. 54.6) pic.twitter.com/2XZ8xTgJIJ
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916
    JackW said:

4th LibDem MP to do so

Difficult to see the yellow peril hanging onto the seat now.

SNP gain?
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045
    edited September 2013

The polls in Scotland are all over the place or perhaps more accurately diametrically opposed depending on who commissioned them.
    The Panelbase poll (unlike the Yougov) at least possesses the virtue of asking the referendum question.

Dinna fash yersel' though, with his usual immaculate timing, Gordon's on the job.

http://tinyurl.com/nnapff9

• Options
    "A new series traces the history of British conservatism through the series of threats that have shocked it into action - from the shadow of the guillotine to the permissive society.

Many of its enduring ideas, contrary to perceptions today, were forged in the heartland of the industrial north of England. " http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-23898395?ocid=socialflow_twitter_bbcnews
  • Options

DJL .. Labour are not even talking about the possibility of ending the war.. we do not have an iron in the fire now .. Thanks Ed , nice one

Again, you seem to be blaming Labour for the government's failure to marshal its own MPs (and remember it has most MPs which is why it is the government) to vote. Labour's amendment supported intervention but was voted down by the government.

Separately from that, you envisage a war-ending intervention that is on no-one else's radar.

• Options

The Panelbase poll (unlike the Yougov) at least possesses the virtue of asking the referendum question.

Dinna fash yersel' though, with his usual immaculate timing Gordon's on the job.

Until we get a decent size poll I think we're in that fun area of nobody knows and everybody lies. Presumably somebody might commission a reliable poll soon since we're one year out from the big day.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    One of my PA's didn't turn up for work once and I was told that the night before she'd been caught by her husband having sex with a neighbour in his car and she was dealing with the aftermath.

I asked what kind of car it was........
  • Options
    DJL As we are constantly reminde here on PB and elswhere ..If we dont sit at the table we cannot influence any outcomes decided at that table... Labour took the UK;s chair away..Well done ED
  • Options
    @tim Having attempted to lead public opinion on Syria and having been rebuffed by Parliament, it is correct that the Government should now wait for others to lead it back to this subject. There will need to be a few public recantations of positions from those leading the opposition to the motion last week before it is feasible.

On topic, I like EdmundinTokyo's bet on Douglas Alexander. 4/1 seems very fair.
  • Options
    Woger.. how droll .. not a lot of concern there for your PA.
  • Options
    More bad news for France's wretched President Hollande.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/31/france-syria-poll_n_3847660.html

What is the mechanism for removing this berk ?
  • Options
    JackW said:

I note neither of PB's great travellers -SeanT and JohnO are quoted .... although perhaps JohnO would be more suited to be SoS for Transport with Sunil as Minister for Rail.

Sounds good, Jack W :)
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    I've backed Patterson and Mitchell. 40-1 and 16-1 still available. Max stakes £3.84 and £8.96 !
  • Options
    MDiC .. It is called an election.
  • Options

More bad news for France's wretched President Hollande.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/31/france-syria-poll_n_3847660.html

What is the mechanism for removing this berk ?

The voodoo poll of Figaro readers is currently running at 87% saying military action should be approved by the Assemblee Nationale

http://www.lefigaro.fr/politique/2013/09/01/01002-20130901QCMWWW00094-intervention-en-syrie-faut-il-un-vote-du-parlement-francais.php

I think Kerry might be about to find out his oldest ally defines ally as someone who helps France rather than the other way round.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,234
    I honestly thought that Hague would go in the immediate aftermath of the vote and said so on here. But if he was going to go he would have gone by now. That means it is very likely that he will be in post until the election. Which makes Douglas Alexander the value choice IMO.
  • Options

DJL As we are constantly reminde here on PB and elswhere ..If we dont sit at the table we cannot influence any outcomes decided at that table... Labour took the UK;s chair away..Well done ED

No, that would be the government.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Roger said:

@Jessop

Soon as you start gassing your own people - Well that crosses the line to being the bad guy in my book.
  • Options
    @Doddy

"Wodgers world."

No one was more pleased than me when you came out of rehab and added your wit and wisdom to our little community here. I just think you're doing too much too quickly. Remember the doctors parting words 'Not even at communion'
  • Options

Dinna fash yersel' though, with his usual immaculate timing Gordon's on the job.

Until we get a decent size poll I think we're in that fun area of nobody knows and everybody lies. Presumably somebody might commission a reliable poll soon since we're one year out from the big day.
    Quite:

"New polling, conducted by YouGov on behalf of the Devo Plus group, has shown the dramatic effect which Devo Plus could have on the result of the independence referendum."

http://www.devoplus.com
  • Options
    Moderator. If you are going to emasculate my post about Justine Greening can you at least write 'MODERATED' at the deleted passage otherwise the post doesn't make sense!
  • Options

Perhaps you could remind us, I hope your ideas are more coherant than those of Eagles.

I'm not sure that anything I could write would persuade you, as you seem to have your mind set. However, here is something I posted last week, slightly updated to circumstances. It would be good if the anti-intervention people could similarly post their truthful views wrt the consequences of non-intervention.

Apologies for the length, but it is impossible to be brief on such complex issues, and indeed it is not comprehensive:

The risks of going in:
    *) We support the wrong side, if there is a 'wrong' or 'right' side any more.
    *) We create long-term hatred towards us and risk retribution attacks against us directly. However, inaction could also cause hatred towards us: "why aren't you helping?"
    *) We end up killing civilians instead of aiding them.
    *) We risk our armed forces.
    *) We support and arm groups that are positively hostile towards us.
    *) We prolong the conflict (although it's already very prolonged).

The risks of staying out:
    *) Other regimes know they can use chemical weapons indiscriminately, both internally and externally.
    *) We risk more chemical and conventional attacks inside Syria, by all sides.
    *) We risk groups inside Syria using weapons against the camps intra- and extra-Syria, especially Turkey and Jordan. Many insurgents and supplies for the rebels are believed to be coming through those camps.
    *) The conflict develops into a stalemate, continues for longer and kills more non-combatants.
    *) Chemical weapons become more of a direct threat against us.
    *) Regimes do more research into weapons of mass destruction.
    *) Our campaign against North Korea and Iran developing nuclear weapons becomes much harder, as they will see our threats as toothless.

Aims:
    Currently I think that *if* we go in militarily, then it has to be limited to the chemical weapons and units operating them. The aim should be not to directly aid either help Assad or the rebels, but to help the non-combatants who are at risk from these hideous weapons.

Trying to win the civil war for one side or the other is a no-no, and would acerbate risks. The aim therefore has to be to to make the penalties for using chemical weapons (by either side) greater than the tactical advantages of using them.
  • Options
    Part 2:
    As part of this, if we target Assad for chemical weapons use, the rebels need to know that there will be penalties if they used them. That does not necessarily have to be military force. As we provide them with various forms of aid, then we can tell them that any use of chemical weapons will stop that aid. We should also make other countries helping them make the same threat.

Long-term strategy:
    Action should be backed up with long-term strategy, and this can only be for a negotiated settlement. Ideally any military or diplomatic action would put maximum pressure on all the sides to come to the negotiating table. This is obviously easier said than done.

If we do not go in militarily, pressure has to be put on neighbouring countries not to interfere too strongly, and any interference only being to help non-combatants (e.g. Turkey's aid to refugees). That includes our own country, as well as the US, Russia, Qatar and others. If there is no military action, then we need to concede that we can do nothing militarily. Therefore military aid to *all* sides needs to stop., and a total arms embargo implemented. Sadly, that course of action has its own risks and consequences.

I remember some on here criticising Cameron robustly for the Libyan intervention. I remember some on here saying that Cameron was taking the wrong stance last year when he wanted to intervene in Syria. Perhaps we would be in a better situation now if he had had his way. It is certainly hard to imagine the situation in Syria being much worse.

The UN:
    The UN and the UN Security Council is toothless as long as Russia vetoes international action against Syria in the UNSC. However they could be taking a different tack (perhaps they're already doing this): investigations to ensure that any side who used chemical weapons during this conflict, whether government or rebel, is rigorously prosecuted for their use. The UN should let it be known that leaders will be held personally responsible for their use. Caroline Lucas is right about this, and the International Criminal Court should have more teeth in all directions. It would be good if the US/UK/France took this line as well.
  • Options
    woger ..complaining his post's dont make sense..what took him so long..
  • Options
    Part 3:

That could be extended to the Assad regime, even if the weapons were used by rebels. If it can be proved that rebel use of weapons was from governmental stocks, then the Assad government should be held responsible for not keeping them safe.It could also be extended to other countries who have sent in fighters, for instance Lebanon, if it is discovered that their troops have used such weapons.

This fits in with making the risks of using chemical weapons greater than the tactical advantages gained from their use. However such threats - by their very nature long-term - might not have much of a deterrent effect when the leader and the state itself is facing an existential crisis.

It is one of these situations where Cameron, Obama and Hollande do not face a 'right' answer, especially when their actions will be viewed by historians in a few decades. I do not envy them this decision.
This discussion has been closed.