Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Populus Poll out

SystemSystem Posts: 11,682
edited September 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Populus Poll out

So two out of the three polls conducted in the aftermath of the defeat for the Government has shown no discernible change in VI, hopefully we shall see some more polling in the next few days, which will help us determine whether the YouGov was the harbinger of a period of increased Labour leads, or just an outlier.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    outlier
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    UKIP are at 8 in today's poll down 1
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,435
    edited September 2013

Thanks Mark, I've updated the chart, was a formatting error on my part.
  • Options
    Cammo took a hit there then..
  • Options
    You can just feel the power of Ed's awsome moment on thursday can't you...

Cameron is humiliated by that swing..
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,300

UKIP managed to call Syria even worse than Lab. If such a thing is possible.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited September 2013
    Twitter
    Harry Phibbs ‏@harryph 10m
    ICM poll for BBC says by 39%/33% voters disapprove of Ed Miliband's handling of Syria. Disapprove of Cameron's handling of Syria by 42%/40%.

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 18m
    The Panelbase SNP #indyref poll with YES lead did not ask voting question first. Previous questions likely to have influenced response
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860
    TOPPING said:

LOL whereas Cameron called it perfectly

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    United with Labour Rally in Govan, guest speaker Gordon Brown.

http://www.eveningtelegraph.co.uk/news/scotland/gordon-brown-s-positive-case-for-union-1.126132

What was his excuse on Thursday?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    edited September 2013
    The populus poll suggests the w/e YouGov could be an outlier. I've seen no polling suggesting a UKIP boost for their anti-war stance.
  • Options
    tim said:

Fpt
    If Rory Stewart wants to go to an evening do then it would be better if he didnt bother writing about how "crucial" the vote he chose to miss was.

Given your obsession with this, answer the question I posed in the previous thread: what would you have done? Would you have missed the wedding or reception of any notional children or siblings of yours?

Would it have been an easy decision, or a difficult, heart-breaking one?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    tim said:

Fpt
    If Rory Stewart wants to go to an evening do then it would be better if he didnt bother writing about how "crucial" the vote he chose to miss was.

I find myself in the most unusual and uncomfortable position of agreement with tim - now that will be an outlier.

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    tim said:

Fpt

Still no news of the AWOL Labour MP's ?!?

• Options

TOPPING said:

LOL whereas Cameron called it perfectly

Far from it.

Hence my incredulity that UKIP were worse.
  • Options
    woger could do a com for the Cons..changing the wording on the Beefburger ad where the old girl shouts "Where's the beef?" to..
    "Wheres the Gordon?"
    We all know where he is of course .. in Govan .. with guess who, Unite.
    Long way by plane .. London to Govan.
  • Options

tim said:

Fpt

Given your obsession with this, answer the question I posed in the previous thread: what would you have done? Would you have missed the wedding or reception of any notional children or siblings of yours?

Don't be silly, attempting to conflate children with siblings disqualifies you from being taken seriously. Or is it your case that his younger sister is actually a lovechild, and we are living in a Wilkie Collins novel?

Heart-breaking, pshaw and tarradiddle. Given the importance of the debate and vote to Stewart's career and lots of brown peoples' lives his sister would be an utter cow not to countenance his absence.

• Options
    felix said:

tim said:

Fpt

I find myself in the most unusual and uncomfortable position of agreement with tim - now that will be an outlier.

Ditto

• Options
    Stewart

Should

Have

Made

The

Vote.

As should have 75% of the other numpties.

Not to say there wasn't a deal of numptiness at No.10, that said.
  • Options
    felix said:

The populus poll suggests the w/e YouGov could be an outlier. I've seen no polling suggesting a UKIP boost for their anti-war stance.

Out in the real world Syria is but a passing diversion. Most people would have noted the events in general terms and then moved on. It blew up at the beginning of last week and is already dying down. There was never going to be any meaningful poll reaction - except perhaps to EdM's ratings among Labour voters. They may be worth keeping an eye on. But that is very much second tier stuff.

• Options
    AveryLPAveryLP Posts: 7,815
    The Blues narrow the gap.

Ill discipline trumps treachery.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Sleazy handwringers on the slide...
  • Options

woger could do a com for the Cons..changing the wording on the Beefburger ad where the old girl shouts "Where's the beef?" to..
    "Wheres the Gordon?"
    We all know where he is of course .. in Govan .. with guess who, Unite.
    Long way by plane .. London to Govan.

You've lost the plot, mate.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    MoE
  • Options
    tim said:

Ishmael_X said:

tim said:

Fpt

Don't be silly, attempting to conflate children with siblings disqualifies you from being taken seriously. Or is it your case that his younger sister is actually a lovechild, and we are living in a Wilkie Collins novel?

Heart-breaking, pshaw and tarradiddle. Given the importance of the debate and vote to Stewart's career and lots of brown peoples' lives his sister would be an utter cow not to countenance his absence.

Jessop seems to think that the evening do is the crucial part of the wedding as well.

"Oh I've only been invited to the evening do"
    "I don't know him/her very well just invite them to the evening do"

aren't sentences that ever get said.
    In Rory world

"Screw that Syria vote that I'm claiming is crucial tomorrow, another Babycham and a prawn cocktail for me please, for I am Rory, Desert King and Middle East Expert, I need sustenance for tomorrows pontificating on the importance of the vote that I will miss afore the morn"

Give him an inch....
  • Options
    "Brown People" that is the first time ever that I have heard Syrians described as "Brown People"..They are about as brown as the average Italian ,Spaniard, Portugese or S of France resident
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    fitalass said:

Mike Smithson ‏@MSmithsonPB 18m
    The Panelbase SNP #indyref poll with YES lead did not ask voting question first. Previous questions likely to have influenced response

That might explain the 30 point discrepancy!
  • Options
    "tim" clearly too busy stalking the "Rory Stewart absent scandal" to find absent Labour MP's but for the sake of completeness here are the scandal ridden Labour MP's :

Ian Austin (Labour)
    Robert Blackman-Woods (Labour)
    Hazel Blears (Labour)
    Paul Blomfield (Labour)
    Gordon Brown (Labour)
    Richard Burden (Labour)
    Sarah Champion (Labour)
    Michael Connarty (Labour)
    Rosie Cooper (Labour)
    David Crausby (Labour)
    John Cryer (Labour)
    Ian Davidson (Labour )
    Yvonne Fovargue (Labour)
    Lilian Greenwood (Labour)
    Peter Hain (Labour)
    David Hanson (Labour)
    David Heyes (Labour)
    Sharon Hodgson (Labour)
    Diana Johnson (Labour)
    Barbara Keeley (Labour)
    Andrew Love (Labour )
    Siobhain McDonagh (Labour)
    Austin Mitchell (Labour)
    Yasmin Qureshi (Labour)
    Emma Reynolds (Labour)
    Dame Joan Ruddock (Labour)
    Angela Smith (Labour)
    John Spellar (Labour)
    Karl Turner (Labour)
    Shaun Woodward (Labour)

Just 30 then !!

• Options
    tim said:

@Jessop.

If I'd chosen the evening do I wouldn't write about the vote being crucial.

I still can't get too excited by him choosing the wedding, but I accept your point that he considers himself a bit of an expert in that region, and he is clearly passionate about it. Him going on about it being crucial does make him look hypocritical.

• Options
    Ishmael_X said:

tim said:

Fpt

That's just ridiculous. It's just that I'm not sure if Tim has any children or siblings, so I was trying to widen the net a little to cover all close family members. You'd have to be fairly daft to read what I wrote and think I was insinuating anything else from it. The intent of my words is obvious.

As for your 'utter cow' comment: that says more about you than Stewart or his sister. Families and relationships are complex things at the best of times. People have all sorts of reasons for wanting people there on their wedding day, or even, in some sad cases, to stay away. It is very difficult to judge these from the outside.

As for your 'brown people's lives' : do you want to rephrase that?
  • Options
    richardDoddrichardDodd Posts: 5,472
    edited September 2013
    I dont recall many Brown People lined up on that warehouse floor, particularly the 8 and 9 years olds, quite a lot of them had blonde hair..maybe the gas turns them paler and lightens their hair..
  • Options
    I don't really get poetry. It was a big thing a century or three ago but not so much anymore. It mostly strikes me as pretentious and wanky. So I wasn't really attuned to the Seamus Heaney thing and all the noise now he's dead. Anyway, one or two obits included some of his 'hits' and all my worst suspicions were confirmed. It's tosh. I was feeling all uncivilised and then I see our own SeanT has said exactly the same thing in the DT blogs and now I feel my cultural antenna is tip top again!

(I was once with a French friend in the national gallery and we found ourselves in front of a famous classical piece - can't remember who but a very famous one. Titian? Rembrandt? Can't remember. But there was alot going on - angels, cherubs, naked people in odd poses, sky, clouds, animals, symbolism of god knows what. Jean Francois looked at it for a minute, turned to me and said: 'What a mess.' I suddenly felt better. That's probably the best and most accurate bit of art criticism the piece ever received).

Ooh I'm a goth!
  • Options
    Thursday's vote hasn't had any immediate impact, but it will greatly impact the public response to any major developments in Syria.

Broadly speaking, if Assad is linked with further chemical weapons attacks, or other atrocities, this will be seen by many as confirming the government position - the stronger the evidence of Assad's guilt, the stronger the confirmation - and the government will get a boost for having been right all along.

If, however, the rebels are linked to chemical weapons, past or future, or to other atrocities, this will be seen as confirming that Syria is a quagmire we should stay well away from - again, the stronger the evidence, the stronger the perceived confirmation - and Labour will benefit for having been proved right.

Thus, for the next few months, both government and opposition are at the mercy of events in Syria, but only for the next few months. Trying to link a Syrian atrocity to a parliamentary vote 15 months earlier would be seen as weak.

There are, of course, a lot more than just two possibilities for the future of Syria, but the two I listed are the only plausible ones that would impact UK parties unequally. If, for instance, Assad drops dead with a stroke, no UK party would get any credit or blame.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    TOPPING said:

tim said:

Ishmael_X said:

tim said:

Fpt

Jessop seems to think that the evening do is the crucial part of the wedding as well.

In Rory world

"Screw that Syria vote that I'm claiming is crucial tomorrow, another Babycham and a prawn cocktail for me please, for I am Rory, Desert King and Middle East Expert, I need sustenance for tomorrows pontificating on the importance of the vote that I will miss afore the morn"

Give him an inch....
    Give tim some slack.

You have to remember that in the world of Labour, MPs do not attend their siblings' weddings.

Otherwise the marriage table meats would soon coldly furnish forth the funeral table.

• Options
    tim said:

Ishmael_X said:

tim said:

Fpt

aren't sentences that get said are they?
    n Rory world

What are you on? I mean, your hatred for anything Tory is legendary, but this is just ridiculous.

And yes, the evening part of a wedding can be important as well. But we still don't know what time the wedding was - was it morning, afternoon, early evening?

At the end of the day, it doesn't even matter. He chose to support his sister on the most important day of her life. As much as I would have liked to have heard his input on the debate, I find I can't criticise him for that. It's not as if he timed the wedding to avoid the debate or vote.

Still, as you refuse to answer even simple questions about what you would have done, there seems little point in trying to persuade you otherwise.
  • Options
    ROS.."Assad dropping dead from a heart attack"..would that be the brown Assad or the lighter skinned version
  • Options
    tim said:

@JackW

As I said, Parliament was half recalled.
    The important thing for Dave was the "Action PM cancels holiday" headlines which had the side effect of knocking "Polzeath Porky Porpoise Tries To Get His Trunks Off" off the front pages.

Half baked answer from a half witted, half awake Cheshire farmer.

What are the Labour MP's excuses ?!?

We'll give you a pass on Gordon Brown as he gives the Commons a pass all the time !!

• Options
    Off-topic:

With all the recent stories of attacks on mosques, I view this story with alarm. Very much from my neck o' the woods:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-23047099
  • Options
    If Cameron mentions at PMQ's that the next day is a Thursday then EdM will probably ask for "Compelling Evidence"
  • Options
    Patrick said:

I don't really get poetry.

You could probably have stopped there, brevity being the soul of wit and all that.
  • Options
    AveryLP said:

TOPPING said:

tim said:

Ishmael_X said:

tim said:

Fpt

In Rory world

Give him an inch....
    Give tim some slack.

You have to remember that in the world of Labour, MPs do not attend their siblings' weddings.

Otherwise the marriage table meats would soon coldly furnish forth the funeral table.

If they get married at all - it's so bourgeois dahling.

Still the Miliband "Red Wedding" would have made Game of Thrones look like Magic Roundabout..
  • Options
    john_zimsjohn_zims Posts: 3,399
    @JackW

'Still no news of the AWOL Labour MP's ?!?'

More importantly where was Gordon I saved the world.
  • Options
    tim said:

Ishmael_X said:

tim said:

Fpt

aren't sentences that get said are they?
    n Rory world

Stewart had the perfect excuse to absent himself from his sister's wedding. Any brother worth his salt would have jumped at the opportunity.

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,288
    "Organising around the Living Wage is a policy development that is really linked to the lives of
    ordinary people."

https://twitter.com/

M4COnline/status/374508115212763136/photo/1

Communication, Communication, Communication.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    To Patrick (FPT: "I don't really get poetry. It was a big thing a century or three ago but not so much anymore. It mostly strikes me as pretentious and wanky. So I wasn't really attuned to the Seamus Heaney thing and all the noise now he's dead. Anyway, one or two obits included some of his 'hits' and all my worst suspicions were confirmed. It's tosh. I was feeling all uncivilised and then I see our own SeanT has said exactly the same thing in the DT blogs and now I feel my cultural antenna is tip top again!"

Sorry Patrick but both you and Sean T (esp Sean T) are wrong re Seamus Heaney. Try "Mid-Term Break". I've been reading Heaney's poetry since I was at school (and may be biased because I won a drama prize once for my recitation of one of his poems - "Follower") and think he is far from pretentious. If anything he brings to life a very Irish sensibility about families and ordinary lives.

I was in Dublin last week when Heaney died and it was interesting to see how big a story it was - even the taxi driver discussed it and quoted bits of his favourite poetry (by Oliver Goldsmith) and another fine Irish writer - the late John McGahern (who, IMHO, with William Trevor) is one of the best writers of recent years.

Hard to think of any cultural figure here who would command such attention here - our papers write interminable rubbish about the birth of a baby or the death of Michael Jackson - a total waste of trees and ink!

BTW it was also interesting to see how N Irish MPs explained their "no" vote on Syria. One said that he was concerned about the position of Christian communities in Syria and that voting for military action would result in a greater threat to their safety from some of the anti-Assad forces. This is not a negligible threat: politicians agonising over gassed children were remarkably quiet on the public beheading by anti-Assad groups in front of a cheering crowd of a Syrian Catholic priest. The Irish papers have had a number of articles about the increasingly desperate plight of Christian communities in the Middle East since the so-called Arab "spring" and the strange reluctance of Western liberals to be concerned about this.. Worth remembering that Christians have been in the Middle East for far longer than Muslims.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Chuckles Umanu is now attacking the govt for exporting the components to Syria to make Sarin which it disputes Assad used..confused or what..
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    I'm a bit late to this Rory wedding thing - but why is anyone trying to rubbish him for it. It's a long standing family commitment.

More Osborne Cries At Funeral Look Squirrel.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,622
    edited September 2013
    German election:

Average of latest polls from each firm:

CDU/CSU: 40.14%
    SPD: 24.50%
    Green: 12.07%
    Linke: 8.14%
    FDP: 5.86%
    AfD: 2.71%
    Others: 6.57%

CDU/CSU / FDP: 46.00%
    SPD/Green / Linke: 44.71%

http://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/index.htm
  • Options
    While all eyes are on Syria we are missing the good news

UK Markit CIPS Manufacturing PMIs published this morning and we have take off.

After the solid increases in output and new orders registered in July, August saw the momentum continue to build, with growth rates for both variables at their highest since 1994.

The seasonally adjusted Markit/CIPS Purchasing Manager’s Index® (PMI®) hit a two-and-a-half year high of 57.2 in August, up from a revised reading of 54.8 in July (previously reported as 54.6). The PMI has signalled expansion for five successive months.

Manufacturing output increased at the fastest pace since July 1994, with marked expansions signalled across the consumer, intermediate and investment goods sectors. ...

New orders rose for the sixth month running and to the greatest degree since August 1994. ...

Companies linked higher order volumes to successful new product launches, promotional activity and improved client confidence. ...

On the export side, there were reports of stronger demand from the USA, China, mainland Europe, India, Scandinavia, Brazil and Ireland.

Not only good news but better than expected. Consensus view was the UK Manufacturing PMI would be 55.0.

But there are a few dark clouds. Input prices rose at the fastest rate for two years and at an above survey average pace. The month-on-month upward movement in the Input Prices Index (10.4 points) was the second-steepest in the survey history. Companies reported higher prices paid for commodities, feedstock, oil, paper, polymers and timber. Average selling prices also increased, but to a much lesser degree than registered for costs.

Mark Carney will not have liked that.
  • Options
    LD MP for Gordon, Malcolm Bruce, to retire:

http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/3376676
  • Options

Ishmael_X said:

tim said:

Fpt

That's just ridiculous. It's just that I'm not sure if Tim has any children or siblings, so I was trying to widen the net a little to cover all close family members. You'd have to be fairly daft to read what I wrote and think I was insinuating anything else from it. The intent of my words is obvious.

As for your 'utter cow' comment: that says more about you than Stewart or his sister. Families and relationships are complex things at the best of times. People have all sorts of reasons for wanting people there on their wedding day, or even, in some sad cases, to stay away. It is very difficult to judge these from the outside.

As for your 'brown people's lives' : do you want to rephrase that?
    The lives of brown people?

Not worth getting heated over this, but in my view this was a career-threatening error and Stewart keeps digging. When he blogs "Thursday’s vote in the House of Commons was both moving and troubling", one supplies the missing "but the Best Man's speech was an absolute corker".
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,845
    Cyclefree said:

BTW it was also interesting to see how N Irish MPs explained their "no" vote on Syria. One said that he was concerned about the position of Christian communities in Syria and that voting for military action would result in a greater threat to their safety from some of the anti-Assad forces. This is not a negligible threat: politicians agonising over gassed children were remarkably quiet on the public beheading by anti-Assad groups in front of a cheering crowd of a Syrian Catholic priest. The Irish papers have had a number of articles about the increasingly desperate plight of Christian communities in the Middle East since the so-called Arab "spring" and the strange reluctance of Western liberals to be concerned about this.. Worth remembering that Christians have been in the Middle East for far longer than Muslims.

I think the Christian population of Iraq has fallen by about three quarters, since 2003.

One hundred years ago, Arab Nationalism was dominated by Christian Arabs. They'd have done far better sticking with the Ottomans.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Ishmael X..Is suggesting that this Syrian affair is about attacking Brown People..so much nicer if it can be the evil West white dominated areas attacking poor Brown people ,rather than trying to stop a nutter gassing kids.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,845
    Patrick said:

I don't really get poetry. It was a big thing a century or three ago but not so much anymore. It mostly strikes me as pretentious and wanky. So I wasn't really attuned to the Seamus Heaney thing and all the noise now he's dead. Anyway, one or two obits included some of his 'hits' and all my worst suspicions were confirmed. It's tosh. I was feeling all uncivilised and then I see our own SeanT has said exactly the same thing in the DT blogs and now I feel my cultural antenna is tip top again!

(I was once with a French friend in the national gallery and we found ourselves in front of a famous classical piece - can't remember who but a very famous one. Titian? Rembrandt? Can't remember. But there was alot going on - angels, cherubs, naked people in odd poses, sky, clouds, animals, symbolism of god knows what. Jean Francois looked at it for a minute, turned to me and said: 'What a mess.' I suddenly felt better. That's probably the best and most accurate bit of art criticism the piece ever received).

Ooh I'm a goth!

Poetry is rarely a best-seller, but I think you're wrong to write it off in that manner.

• Options
    @GeneralBoles takes mickey out of Rachael Reeves latest poster

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BTKTgFwCIAEhiH4.jpg:large
  • Options
    I think that Rory Stewart's expertise is in Afghanistan rather than the Middle East.

I can't criticise him for attending his sister's wedding. Families are important and since none of us know his family circumstances we're not in a position to judge. It seems to be a better reason for non-attendance than some of the others - and non-attendance at Parliamentary debates does not stop plenty of people here opining relentlessly on the issue du jour......
  • Options
    Judging from the replies it seems I am indeed a Goth. I shall opine no more on poetry, no matter how wanky or pretentious I perceive it to be. Best I steer clear of art criticism too.
  • Options
    FinancierFinancier Posts: 3,916

Chuckles Umanu is now attacking the govt for exporting the components to Syria to make Sarin which it disputes Assad used..confused or what..

Just tell him that he most probably imbibes some of one of those chemicals every day and ask why was he buying it if it is so dangerous.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Judging from the replies it seems I am indeed a Goth. I shall opine no more on poetry, no matter how wanky or pretentious I perceive it to be. Best I steer clear of art criticism too.

I've never got poetry - apart from the very odd bit of Kipling or whatever.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I think that Rory Stewart's expertise is in Afghanistan rather than the Middle East.

I know it was part of an almighty ballsup, but I'd hope he gained some (rueful) expertise while in Iraq.

'After the coalition invasion of Iraq, he was appointed the Coalition Provisional Authority Deputy Governorate Co-Ordinator in Maysan and Deputy Governorate Co-ordinator/Senior Advisor in Dhi Qar, two provinces in southern Iraq.'
  • Options
    It's almost as if people don't normally change their votes on most matters of foreign policy.

This is one of those occasions where what has happened is much more important than most people have appreciated (in stark contrast to most Westminster stories, where the general public have a much better sense than the political obsessives of the importance of a story).

The democratisation of foreign policy has minuses as well as plusses, though I'm generally in favour of it. It makes it much harder for the government to set a coherent policy if on the very largest points it is vulnerable to being overruled by the Parliamentary footsoldiers (this, incidentally, why the Government was correct to oppose Ed Miliband's motion - Governments can't be expected to implement a policy set by the Opposition; such votes should be used to set differing philosophies, not an attempt at drafting by committee).

The Government's preferred foreign policy on Syria has been rejected by Parliament. It now has to decide whether to invest more political capital in getting something that Parliament will accept or to decide that the baton passes to others. It seems to have decided on the second course of action, and given the other challenges facing Britain, that seems sensible enough.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,122
    Andy_JS said:

Jumped before pushed....

• Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,335
    Personally I think YG was an outlier or at least a temporary reaction - people don't in general plan votes on foreign policy. It's not that nobody cares, but that the people who particularly care already have strong party preferences.
  • Options
    Financier said:

Just tell him that he most probably imbibes some of one of those chemicals every day and ask why was he buying it if it is so dangerous.
    I hope he is absolutely certain that none of these self same chemicals were sold to Syria before May 2010....

• Options
    Plato said:

Patrick said:

I had marvellous English master (ex-Chindit) who not only brought Shakespeare alive but got me - a facts-only scientist - to love the romantic poets and very happy to learn their work and can still recite some of them.
  • Options
    Wings Over Scotland ‏@WingsScotland 4m
    Incredible scenes in Govan as someone mentions today's Panelbase poll to Gordon Brown. http://twitpic.com/dbli8i

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,294
    AveryLP said:

While all eyes are on Syria we are missing the good news

UK Markit CIPS Manufacturing PMIs published this morning and we have take off.

After the solid increases in output and new orders registered in July, August saw the momentum continue to build, with growth rates for both variables at their highest since 1994.

The seasonally adjusted Markit/CIPS Purchasing Manager’s Index® (PMI®) hit a two-and-a-half year high of 57.2 in August, up from a revised reading of 54.8 in July (previously reported as 54.6). The PMI has signalled expansion for five successive months.

Manufacturing output increased at the fastest pace since July 1994, with marked expansions signalled across the consumer, intermediate and investment goods sectors. ...

New orders rose for the sixth month running and to the greatest degree since August 1994. ...

Companies linked higher order volumes to successful new product launches, promotional activity and improved client confidence. ...

On the export side, there were reports of stronger demand from the USA, China, mainland Europe, India, Scandinavia, Brazil and Ireland.

Not only good news but better than expected. Consensus view was the UK Manufacturing PMI would be 55.0.

But there are a few dark clouds. Input prices rose at the fastest rate for two years and at an above survey average pace. The month-on-month upward movement in the Input Prices Index (10.4 points) was the second-steepest in the survey history. Companies reported higher prices paid for commodities, feedstock, oil, paper, polymers and timber. Average selling prices also increased, but to a much lesser degree than registered for costs.

Mark Carney will not have liked that.

Really strong figures suggesting that July was not some kind of a freak.

I am still bemused as to how the growth forecasts for this year are around the 1.3% level. We had 0.3% in Q1, 0.7% in Q2, we look like we are going to have at least 0.7% in Q3 and prehaps 0.6% in Q4. Why does that not amount to 0.3+0.7+0.7 +.0.6 = 2.3% growth? I really don't understand how the annual figure can be a full 1% less than the quarterly figures. Logic seems to indicate that it should in fact be more because the growth is on a slightly higher base each quarter.

• Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,672
    edited September 2013
    antifrank said:

This is one of those occasions where what has happened is much more important than most people have appreciated (in stark contrast to most Westminster stories, where the general public have a much better sense than the political obsessives of the importance of a story).

Joshua Rosenberg may agree:

"Syria intervention: is there a new constitutional convention?
    Does PM's decision to seek approval of MPs for military action signal a shift in power from government to parliament?"

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2013/sep/02/syria-military-action-constitutional-convention
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Financier said:

Plato said:

Patrick said:

I had marvellous English master (ex-Chindit) who not only brought Shakespeare alive but got me - a facts-only scientist - to love the romantic poets and very happy to learn their work and can still recite some of them.
    Stick me in the Yawn Thee Bracket - it just bounces off me - can't stand Shakespeare either or Kant - I can read a page 5x and still think errr - but Ovid or Homer I love. And am a terrible softy for romance. Funny ole world.
  • Options
    Vis-a-vis poetry and Nobel laureates , I've always remembered Pinter's American Football ;

American Football

Hallelujah!
    It works.
    We blew the shit out of them.

We blew the shit right back up their own ass
    And out their fucking ears.

It works.
    We blew the shit out of them.
    They suffocated in their own shit!

Hallelujah.
    Praise the Lord for all good things.

We blew them into fucking shit.
    They are eating it.

Praise the Lord for all good things.

We blew their balls into shards of dust,
    Into shards of fucking dust.

We did it.

Now I want you to come over here and kiss me on the mouth.

• Options
    OT How to you drive?

http://t.co/8kj8uzRoJs
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Judging from the replies it seems I am indeed a Goth.

Patrick, when it comes to poetry, I'm with you. I much prefer ribald cartoon-based northern humour mags with a Top Tips section. Does that make me a Viz-zy Goth?

• Options
    edited September 2013
    @richardDodd

'Chuckles Umanu is now attacking the govt for exporting the components to Syria to make Sarin which it disputes Assad used..confused or what..'

Words of wisdom from 'voters are trash' guru.

• Options

Cyclefree said:

I know it was part of an almighty ballsup, but I'd hope he gained some (rueful) expertise while in Iraq.

'After the coalition invasion of Iraq, he was appointed the Coalition Provisional Authority Deputy Governorate Co-Ordinator in Maysan and Deputy Governorate Co-ordinator/Senior Advisor in Dhi Qar, two provinces in southern Iraq.'
    Had forgotten that, thanks.

• Options
    EasterrossEasterross Posts: 1,915

Andy_JS said:

Jumped before pushed....

I have been saying for some months that his retiral would be at GE2015 to a number of PBers off list. This could be the first of 4 or 5 in Scotland in time for GE2015 leading to a "bloodbath" among the top group of potential LibDem candidates who will be seeking nomination for the seats the LibDems have a realistic chance of holding.
  • Options
    Not a fan of poetry at all. It does not affect me if some people choose to write it and others to read it . But I groan inwardly if my ears (or eyes) suddenly find themselves confronted by a recital of poems from a third party. Its almost as bad as having to hear communal singing or sea shanties!!
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    At the risk of sounding precious read this by Norman MacCaig:

The dwarf with his hands on backwards
    sat, slumped like a half-filled sack
    on tiny twisted legs from which
    sawdust might run,
    outside the three tiers of churches built
    in honour of St Francis, brother
    of the poor, talker with birds, over whom
    he had the advantage
    of not being dead yet.

A priest explained
    how clever it was of Giotto
    to make his frescoes tell stories
    that would reveal to the illiterate the goodness
    of God and the suffering
    of His Son. I understood
    the explanation and
    the cleverness.

A rush of tourists, clucking contentedly,
    fluttered after him as he scattered
    the grain of the Word. It was they who had passed
    the ruined temple outside, whose eyes
    wept pus, whose back was higher
    than his head, whose lopsided mouth
    said Grazie in a voice as sweet
    as a child's when she speaks to her mother
    or a bird's when it spoke
    to St Francis.

You could write entire books about the hypocritical myopia of the western "cultural" liberal (with a small l") and the church and say less about their fundamental inhumanity.

So far as Shakespeare is concerned Plato your error (probably induced by school) was to read it. Go to the Globe and see it the way it was supposed to be.
  • Options
    MBoyMBoy Posts: 104

That's absolutely laughable and shows that Labour are panicking a fair bit.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Financier said:

Plato said:

Patrick said:

Stick me in the Yawn Thee Bracket - it just bounces off me - can't stand Shakespeare either or Kant - I can read a page 5x and still think errr - but Ovid or Homer I love. And am a terrible softy for romance. Funny ole world.
    I love poetry: learnt lots of it at school and much has stuck. "An Irish Airman Foresees his Death" by Yeats is a marvel as is "To His Coy Mistress". My ill son has found much comfort reading Shakespeare, so Patrick don't give up on it. Good poetry can really speak to you, if it's good and it gets to you at the right time.
  • Options
    @DavidL

GDP growth forecasts

Over the weekend, when PB was up and down faster than Luciana Berger's bloomers, I had an exchange of posts with JohnO on just this question. Here goes:

The British Chambers of Commerce upward revision to 1.3% of its UK GDP growth forecast for 2013 is broadly in line with other forecast revisions.

This I believe reflects a couple of factors:

1. Natural caution in a climate of volatile performance. It should be noted that less than six months ago media and expert discussion was all about whether the UK would avoid a 'triple dip' recession. And we still have a quarter showing contraction within the previous twelve months. The official OBR forecast of 0.6% also remains, even though this has now been exceeded by some measure in the first half. In this climate, forecasters seem only willing to count growh they can clearly see when making short term predictions. And this caution is not just in the UK. The German Economics Ministry, for example, is still holding to its 0.3% growth forecast for the whole of 2013, when their Q1 growth was 0% and Q2 0.7%. Similarly, the EU forecast for Eurozone growth in the second half of 2013 is still for 0.0% growth.

2. The high risks of external shock. BRICS growth is falling albeit from high levels; the Eurozone has only just emerged tentatively from a recession which has lasted from 2011; the outcome of Japan's Abenomics experiment remains uncertain; and, the US economy is having to absord backloaded tax increases and spending cuts due to Obama's delayed fiscal consolidation measures. The political situation in the Middle East won't be helping either.

In spite of the above, it does seem that early indicators from the first two months of Q3 are showing that the UK economy is continuing to grow and at an accelerated rate. Markit PMIs for all sectors have risen in both months and interim monthly ONS outcomes have also shown growth.

SWIFT, which bases its predictions of growth on aggregrated B2B transactions and whose forecasts have been very reliable since it started its index last year, is showing a 'nowcast' of 0.5% for UK 2013 Q3 and a 'forecast' of 0.4% for Q4.

If SWIFT are right then UK growth for the calendar year is likely to be around 2.0% which matches both your and my gut feel. I am confident it probably matches the same gut feel of external forecasters but then they are held up to ridicule in the event of their predictions being wrong!
  • Options
    LOL

How's your movie ambitions coming along?

Patrick said:

Judging from the replies it seems I am indeed a Goth.

Patrick, when it comes to poetry, I'm with you. I much prefer ribald cartoon-based northern humour mags with a Top Tips section. Does that make me a Viz-zy Goth?

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    tim said:

Hopefully Rory will be releasing a Syria wedding bloopers DVD.

Meanwhile, who the hell has a chance of hearing the division bell over the noise from that cupboard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5AztWseIdU

They were discussing Rwanda !
  • Options

Not a fan of poetry at all. It does not affect me if some people choose to write it and others to read it . But I groan inwardly if my ears (or eyes) suddenly find themselves confronted by a recital of poems from a third party. Its almost as bad as having to hear communal singing or sea shanties!!

I like sea shanties if I'm joining in with the singing - they're like country dancing - great fun but not to watch!
  • Options
    More Labour unintended consequences..

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/timwigmore/100232930/why-do-labour-want-to-give-a-tax-break-to-bankers/

"Stephen Twigg wrote last week that Labour would lower the cap on tuition fees to £6,000, as the £9,000 cap is "unnecessarily punitive for students." Which all sounds very noble, until you realise what this actually entails: tax relief for bankers and lawyers.

Tuition fees are not really a debt at all, but a contribution that successful grads pay: what they otherwise call progressive taxation. That's why 40 per cent of graduates won't pay off all their loans. And while those on low incomes won't get any benefit from Labour's tuition fee cut, millionaires will."

Maybe that's why Twigg's speech was canned ....
  • Options
    Are limerics poetry? Some of them are very funny.

I seem to remember as a teenager that the poetry of Attila the Stockbroker was a hoot too. Maybe I'm subconsciously expecting poetry to amuse me and get narked when it's just tiresome dirge.

Song lyrics probably count and there's endless good song lyrics I'll happily sing along to in a discordant lusty voice in my car.

Maybe I'm only half Goth after all.
  • Options

antifrank said:

Joshua Rosenberg may agree:

"Syria intervention: is there a new constitutional convention?
    Does PM's decision to seek approval of MPs for military action signal a shift in power from government to parliament?"

http://www.theguardian.com/law/2013/sep/02/syria-military-action-constitutional-convention
    Likewise Obama going to Congress and iirc Hollande likewise in Paris. So probably a realisation by all three that they need political cover for an unpopular policy, and/or that while they agree "something must be done" it is not at all clear what that something is (since helping Al Qaeda take over Syria is unlikely to be at the top of the White House's wish list).
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506
    edited September 2013

DavidL

I am still bemused as to how the growth forecasts for this year are around the 1.3% level. We had 0.3% in Q1, 0.7% in Q2, we look like we are going to have at least 0.7% in Q3 and prehaps 0.6% in Q4. Why does that not amount to 0.3+0.7+0.7 +.0.6 = 2.3% growth? I really don't understand how the annual figure can be a full 1% less than the quarterly figures. Logic seems to indicate that it should in fact be more because the growth is on a slightly higher base each quarter.

The percentage change in GDP depends as much on what the GDP was the previous year as what it is this year. So if GDP was strong in Q3 and Q4 last year, the percentage increase this year may appear lower than you expect.

So much better than percentage increases over the previous year would be for the absolute GDP index to be quoted and the trend shown on a graph. That would eliminate the undue influence of the GDP last year on the percentage change figure published by the media for this year.
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    Plato said:

Financier said:

Plato said:

Patrick said:

It's unusual really, most romantic softies I know can't get enough of the works of Kant... but that's as good an excuse as any to wheel out Kantian blockbusters applicable to the present discussion as:

[on war generally] "Even philosophers will praise war as ennobling mankind, forgetting the Greek who said: 'War is bad in that it begets more evil than it kills.'"

[on the selective enforcement of international law by parties acting individually] "Act that your principle of action might safely be made a law for the whole world."

[on our current party leaders - take your pick which]: "If man makes himself a worm he must not complain when he is trodden on."

[and, tenuously, on badgers]: "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."

It doesn't get more romantic than that.
  • Options
    Plato said:

Financier said:

Plato said:

Patrick said:

Is this romantic or slushy in your world?

Love's Philosophy by P.B.Shelley

The fountains mingle with the river,
    And the rivers with the ocean;
    The winds of heaven mix forever,
    With a sweet emotion;
    Nothing in the world is single;
    All things by a law divine
    In one another's being mingle;--
    Why not I with thine?

See! the mountains kiss high heaven,
    And the waves clasp one another;
    No sister flower would be forgiven,
    If it disdained it's brother;
    And the sunlight clasps the earth,
    And the moonbeams kiss the sea;--
    What are all these kissings worth,
    If thou kiss not me?

• Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    @tim

It's not one of those jokes that gets any funnier with the re-telling.
  • Options

DavidL said:

AveryLP said:

The percentage change in GDP depends as much on what the GDP was the previous year as what it is this year. So if GDP was strong in Q3 and A4 last year, the percentage increase this year may appear lwoer than you expect.

So much better than percentage increasesover the previous year would be for the GDP index to be quoted and the trend shown on a graph. That would eliminate the undue influence of the GDP last year on the percentage change figure published by the media for this year.
    But David the numbers last year were terrible including a contraction in Q4. The y-o-y comparison should, if anything, flatter the current figures not reduce them. There does seem to be some mathmatical basis for the annual figure being something other than the cumulo of the quarters but I don't think that is it.

• Options
    Plato - maybe thats the antidote then when I attend a sea festival or some sort , to join in! As I said though I dislike communal singing though as well and only join in singing at funerals and maybe wedding services as a sign of respect. I find all communal singing weird from national anthems singing at sports events to rugby club coach singing
  • Options
    Patrick said:

Are limerics poetry? Some of them are very funny.

I seem to remember as a teenager that the poetry of Attila the Stockbroker was a hoot too. Maybe I'm subconsciously expecting poetry to amuse me and get narked when it's just tiresome dirge.

Song lyrics probably count and there's endless good song lyrics I'll happily sing along to in a discordant lusty voice in my car.

Maybe I'm only half Goth after all.

If you like limericks - or funny haiku - Twitter has loads of accounts that do them
  • Options
    I can still remember the first 10 lines or so of Pushkin's The Bronze Horseman - in Russian - which got an A level Grade A in. It's quite rhymey / song lyricy, but most of all it's about founding St.Petersburg so Peter the Great can smash the crap out of Sweden! My teenage self could relate to that.

I think I'm down to 1/3 Goth now.
  • Options
    Plato.. try some of the poems from the first world war soldiers, Owen , Sassoon, etc, amazing stuff.
  • Options
    @TGOHF

'"Stephen Twigg wrote last week that Labour would lower the cap on tuition fees to £6,000, as the £9,000 cap is "unnecessarily punitive for students." Which all sounds very noble, until you realise what this actually entails: tax relief for bankers and lawyers.'

Has Twiggy given any hint on how this will be paid for?

The proposed Labour tax on banker's bonuses has already been spent at least five times.
  • Options
    Patrick said:

I can still remember the first 10 lines or so of Pushkin's The Bronze Horseman - in Russian - which got an A level Grade A in. It's quite rhymey / song lyricy, but most of all it's about founding St.Petersburg so Peter the Great can smash the crap out of Sweden! My teenage self could relate to that.

I think I'm down to 1/3 Goth now.

Careful - add in John Cooper Clarke and you are a regular poetry aficionado....
  • Options
    Tim , the angry northern poet- (its actaully more readable to me than the other poems quoted on this thread)!!
  • Options
    edited September 2013

Plato.. try some of the poems from the first world war soldiers, Owen , Sassoon, etc, amazing stuff.

I've read a handful and some are great but mostly they just well - words. I'd rather read prose. There's a brilliantly touching piece of cloth in the Imperial War Museum with the final few days of a shipwrecked sailor accounting his experiences - and written with a burnt match - that really struck me.

Guess I just find poetry rather arty farty.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Jumped before pushed....

Do you mean pushed by his local party or the electorate? The latter I guess.
This discussion has been closed.