Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on Time’s person of the year

Comments

• Options

=

TonyE said:

TonyE said:

No. The Irish issue will be resolved in the FTA talks.

The EU wants a trade deal, the UK is easily the biggest destination for EU exports and no deal would damage the EU economy, they just want to ensure the UK pays a hefty bill for it

I hope that's right, but I still rather fear that the politics of Ever Closer Union and the fear in the future of a prosperous Britain outside it drives the commission more than the economic realities of the nation states.
    The nation states have much more of a mercantilist interest in driving a hard bargain than the Commission. Negotiating through the Commission just allows them to keep their hands clean.
    So France has an interest in there being no SPS recognition? Germany has an interest in having a 10% tariff on Cars or no mutual recognition of manufacturing standards? Businesses across the EU don't want access to the UK money market? The mercantilist aspect of the EU is entirely internal - Germany makes goods, the rest borrow money and send it to Germany. That will always remain unaffected. We of course, do the same, until there's a hard deal and import substitution begins.
    Threatening an undesired end state that is even worse for you than it is for the other side, not just economically, has not been effective so far and there's no sign that it will in the future.

(Edit)

YouGov: "How well or badly do you the government are doing at negotiating Britain's exit from the European Union?
    Last polling was 20% well, 61% badly (Remainers 11% well 77% badly, Leavers 33% well, 66% badly).

Presumably in the next polling the position of Remainers and Leavers will be reversed. Your "grown up" mode amounts to a full on capitulation to the Commission that gives them everything they could have hoped for and more.
    Sorry Southam I totally missed up that attempted editing.
  • Options
    Mr. Divvie, tiny sums for cosmetic changes would be a reasonable model, probably. It is bizarre it still makes a loss given what a major site it is.
  • Options
    surbitonsurbiton Posts: 13,549

10 years at 10 billion = 100 billion

Exit costs to ensure we accept our legal obligations and obtain a trade deal but end free movement and provide flexibilty for us to trade with whoever we want - 50 billion

So 50 billion in the kitty over the 10 years and our reputation for doing a fair deal retained

Clearly you are not talking about annual payments like Norway does and financial passport.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

TonyE said:

So - this capitulation that is being reported today (especially the Boris comments that are being ridiculed about the £100bn measure), is roughly as follows:

Two years contribution at about £10 bn P.a. (Current Liability, would have had to pay as a member)

Pension Liabilities (Would have had to pay as a member).

A share of the RAL based on our current 12% total contribution £580bn *12% = 70bn. (We would have paid this as members).

So that alone adds up to £90bn plus pensions, and the number gross is reported as £89bn

So if we pay £45bn NETT, that's a capitulation? I'm not quite seeing it

A while back the government was telling journos they had legal advice that they didn't owe anything.

Success equals performance minus anticipation.
    Success equals performance minus anticipation

George stopped the deficit yet ?
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938

TonyE said:

So - this capitulation that is being reported today (especially the Boris comments that are being ridiculed about the £100bn measure), is roughly as follows:

Two years contribution at about £10 bn P.a. (Current Liability, would have had to pay as a member)

A share of the RAL based on our current 12% total contribution £580bn *12% = 70bn. (We would have paid this as members).

So that alone adds up to £90bn plus pensions, and the number gross is reported as £89bn

Yep, this could have been sorted months ago. Willy-waving Brexiteers in the Cabinet prevented it.

What prevented it, is that there had to be a negotiation. You can guarantee that the EU wanted the £89bn, plus the pensions, plus a defence union etc. THis is what a negotiated settlement looks like. It's reasonable from both sides now. Nothing or £89bn nett + would not have been.
    The process is working.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283

Some people really don't like Meghan Markle do they?

https://twitter.com/spikedonline/status/935241330388885507

Don't tell the Spectator but Harry's mum was not averse to a bit of campaigning.
    Spectator certainly seems to have it in for the Duchess of Sussex.
    The Speccie is a crappy read these days (or was in the days a year or two ago when I stopped my subscription).
  • Options
    F1: Alfa-Romeo apparently becoming Sauber's title sponsor, so it'll be Alfa-Romeo Sauber next year:
    https://twitter.com/SportmphMark/status/935817554601357312

This tallies with a rumour Sauber was going to become akin to Toro Rosso, only for Ferrari rather than Red Bull.
  • Options
    I'd rather lay than back on this market, so I'm sitting it out. Donald Trump is, regrettably the man of the year but I expect Time will go for someone different. For the reasons others have given, Colin Kaepernick might well get the nod.
  • Options

TonyE said:

A while back the government was telling journos they had legal advice that they didn't owe anything.

He would have done by 2020 had Mrs May not foolishly sacked him.

Still thanks to Osborne’s jobs miracle, he landed on his feet.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    calum said:

Jo Swinson's expenses being investigated by police

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-42164478

Must be an error - the LDs never do corruption of any kind - hypocrisy mind- that's another matter :)
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    Charles said:

IanB2 said:

Charles said:

Ishmael_Z said:

Charles said:

welshowl said:

Pong said:

)
    ?
    It should replace Council Tax, with the local authority resources used to manage and collect council tax redeployed to the new tax. Local authorities should be allowed to vary a local element, as they do with setting Council Tax rates now, deducting this from the amounts collected and passing the balance to central government, as has operated for years with business rates. Indeed if might be possible to make a similar levy on commercial property and replace business rates as well. Stamp Duty should definitely be replaced and there is a case for excluding the primary home from IHT altogether, simplying the current arrangements. It would be sensible to introduce the tax at a modest level and, over time, increase it with balancing reductions in income tax (at some stage it would be sensible to merge NI and IT as well, saving a lot of administration)

The solution for people who are capital rich but income poor is to offer the option of rolling up the tax liability to be paid when the property is sold (which for many such people would be upon death, and therefore simply a different type of IHT).
    More detailed explanation of what I was aiming at. Thanks

On council tax I think central mandated obligations should be funded from this, but local council responsibilities should be CT funded (otherwise they just become delivery agencies rather than democratic bodies with a purpose and authority)
    Certainly local responsibilities should, as far as possible, be funded locally, and if local authorities do the collecting and can vary the rate then this would do this. There will continue to be a need for some adjustments to transfer funds from wealthy to less wealthy areas, as with any system of local tax collection.

The other point is that, to disincentivise rolling up the tax liability except where people do not have the income to cover it right away, rolled up liabilities should at least be indexed, and it may be sensible to consider a modest real interest rate as well.

The biggest challenge, as with any significant shift in the tax burden, would be in trying to minimise the shock effect of the transition. Certainly, phase it in slowly. Falling property prices will disadvantage the most those who bought most recently, a risk they are already exposed to if the market turns downwards for other reasons. It is hard to see what compensation could easily be offered here, that wouldn't be complicated (e.g. some sort of graduated transitional rebate depending on purchase date).
  • Options

TonyE said:

yeah, it was meant to be 2015
  • Options
    ElliotElliot Posts: 1,516

Mortimer said:

=

TonyE said:

TonyE said:

HYUFD said:

TonyE said:

HYUFD said:

No we are moving onto trade talks by the end of the year, despite endless diehard Remainer whinging we were crashing out without a deal
    Not necessarily. The Irish could stillAnd then we will never be asked again, and no other country will ever dare to ask.
    y bill for it
    I hope that's right, but I still rather fear that the politics of Ever Closer Union and the fear in the future of a prosperous Britain outside it drives the commission more than the economic realities of the nation states.
    The nation states have much more of a mercantilist interest in driving a hard bargain than the Commission. Negotiating through the Commission just allows them to keep their hands clean.
    Threatening an undesired end state that is even worse for you than it is for the other side, not just economically, has not been effective so far and there's no sign that it will in the future.

Yep - but hopefully the UK is now moving into grown-up mood as the Cabinet’s bone idle, pig ignorant Brexiteers are sidelined.

Tell us what you really think of people that disagree with you.

I have no problem with people who do not share my views. I have big problems with bone idle chancers like Davis, Johnson and Fox being involved in shaping this country’s future. I am glad they seem to have been sidelined, so that people whose views I do not share, but are grown-up and are prepared to put the work in, can get on with things.

That's not true. If someone supports Brexit you automatically believe they have every vice and not a single virtue. I lurked for several years before I started posting and I always thought you were one of the best posters on here. But on Brexit you lose all sense of reason. To be fair, the same can be said of much of the media
  • Options
    felix said:

calum said:

Must be an error - the LDs never do corruption of any kind - hypocrisy mind- that's another matter :)
    Anyone can complain and the Police always have to look into it. So far, there is no story here.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

felix said:

calum said:

Anyone can complain and the Police always have to look into it. So far, there is no story here.
    And yet it's there on the BBC. you think you'd say the same if it was a Tory MP?
  • Options

TonyE said:

Blame the Lib Dems. The county understood, that’s why they gave Dave and George a majority.
  • Options
    archer101auarcher101au Posts: 1,612
    surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

The 2 key reasons for voting to Leave were reclaiming sovereignty and ending free movement and regaining control of British borders. Failing to respect either would be disrespecting the Leave vote
    http://lordashcroftpolls.com/2016/06/how-the-united-kingdom-voted-and-why/

Good. How do you intend to achieve those aims with no borders in Irealnd / Northern Ireland ?
    It is easy. It is illegal for anyone to enter the UK from the ROI (or anywhere else) who does not have a valid visa or permission to enter (eg ROI citizens). Every employer should be legally responsible for checking the legal status of any employee (we are in Australia, it is pretty easy). No benefits can be claimed by people not entitled to enter as you should have to provide your residency status prior to claiming. Banks KYC rules will stop any such person operating a bank account. Anyone found in the country without a valid visa goes to jail and is then deported.

So, you can't work, claim benefits or operate a bank account. Not sure there will be a lot of demand for this.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

F1: Alfa-Romeo apparently becoming Sauber's title sponsor, so it'll be Alfa-Romeo Sauber next year:
    https://twitter.com/SportmphMark/status/935817554601357312

This tallies with a rumour Sauber was going to become akin to Toro Rosso, only for Ferrari rather than Red Bull.

Interesting when you consider that Ferrari started with Alfa Romeos.
  • Options
    Incidentally, saw an interesting segment on the news about the serious problem of space junk. Of course, if the government had funded my additional research into space cannon technology, this would be a simple matter of point and shoot.
  • Options
    Mr. 86, that, coupled with the McLaren engine shift, could make things more competitive next time. That said, I hope Toro Rosso find the Honda a bit better than McLaren did.
  • Options

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

The 2 key reasons for voting to Leave were reclaiming sovereignty and ending free movement and regaining control of British borders. Failing to respect either would be disrespecting the Leave vote

Good. How do you intend to achieve those aims with no borders in Irealnd / Northern Ireland ?
    It is easy. It is illegal for anyone to enter the UK from the ROI (or anywhere else) who does not have a valid visa or permission to enter (eg ROI citizens). Every employer should be legally responsible for checking the legal status of any employee (we are in Australia, it is pretty easy). No benefits can be claimed by people not entitled to enter as you should have to provide your residency status prior to claiming. Banks KYC rules will stop any such person operating a bank account. Anyone found in the country without a valid visa goes to jail and is then deported.

So, you can't work, claim benefits or operate a bank account. Not sure there will be a lot of demand for this.
    You really don’t know the UK do you.

Employers already have to check if their employees are entitled to work in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/check-job-applicant-right-to-work
  • Options
    'It's beginning to feel a lot like Mordor..'

https://twitter.com/HadleyFreeman/status/935604741643669505
  • Options
    felix said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

calum said:

And yet it's there on the BBC. you think you'd say the same if it was a Tory MP?
    Afternoon thread sorted.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,055

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

Employers already have to check if their employees are entitled to work in the UK.

I’ve only just realised that the ‘au’ means Australia. What is it with Antipodean Brexiteers?
  • Options

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

I’ve only just realised that the ‘au’ means Australia. What is it with Antipodean Brexiteers?
    He’s not Andrew Lilico is he ?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603

Incidentally, saw an interesting segment on the news about the serious problem of space junk. Of course, if the government had funded my additional research into space cannon technology, this would be a simple matter of point and shoot.

And if humankind hadn't put all the shite there in the first place, there wouldn't be a problem.
  • Options
    felix said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

calum said:

Guarantee you the police will shortly say no further action is justified.
  • Options
    Elliot said:

Mortimer said:

=

TonyE said:

TonyE said:

HYUFD said:

TonyE said:

HYUFD said:

No we are moving onto trade talks by the end of the year, despite endless diehard Remainer whinging we were crashing out without a deal
    Not necessarily. The Irish could stillAnd then we will never be asked again, and no other country will ever dare to ask.
    y bill for it

Yep - but hopefully the UK is now moving into grown-up mood as the Cabinet’s bone idle, pig ignorant Brexiteers are sidelined.

I have no problem with people who do not share my views. I have big problems with bone idle chancers like Davis, Johnson and Fox being involved in shaping this country’s future. I am glad they seem to have been sidelined, so that people whose views I do not share, but are grown-up and are prepared to put the work in, can get on with things.

That's not true. If someone supports Brexit you automatically believe they have every vice and not a single virtue. I lurked for several years before I started posting and I always thought you were one of the best posters on here. But on Brexit you lose all sense of reason. To be fair, the same can be said of much of the media

I think you are seeing what you want to see. I doubt I have ever accused Richard Tyndall, for example, of anything. He takes the opposite view to me on Brexit and always has, but we have very reasonable exchanges.

• Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    edited November 2017

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

Yes. People are *STILL* getting confused between “Freedom of Movement” and what happens at borders.

FoM refers to the ability to get an NI number, to work, claim benefits and access healthcare.

Between the UK and RoI there is a Common Travel Area (CTA). The rules of the CTA determine who can enter the Area with a passport and who needs a visit visa. This is different from who has a right to reside and work. Like with Schengen on mainland Europe, people of any nationality can travel freely between UK and RoI. No-one is suggesting that this will change after Brexit.

Any land border between UK and RoI after Brexit will be purely for checking goods, not checking passports.
  • Options
    Mr. Rentool, and if mankind hadn't put the satellites up there we wouldn't enjoy the technological progress we currently have.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

'It's beginning to feel a lot like Mordor..'

https://twitter.com/kat4obama/status/935759095721791489
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,973

A space cannon would just make matters worse by creating more debris, hence the dismay about ASAT tests. But I'm far from sure your comment was serious. ;)
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

felix said:

IanB2 said:

felix said:

calum said:

Guarantee you the police will shortly say no further action is justified.
    No police investigation is ever completed "shortly" eg Stokes.
  • Options

Elliot said:

Mortimer said:

=

TonyE said:

TonyE said:

HYUFD said:

TonyE said:

HYUFD said:

y bill for it

I think you are seeing what you want to see. I doubt I have ever accused Richard Tyndall, for example, of anything. He takes the opposite view to me on Brexit and always has, but we have very reasonable exchanges.

I haven't seen SO be anything other than reasonable. But I guess it depends on your perspective. Time will reveal who lost their sense of reason. So far, the 'go whistlers' would appear to be one down?
  • Options
    Increasingly seeing stories like this in the news more and more: https://twitter.com/ameliagentleman/status/935582982689165312
  • Options
    Just put a few quid on Joe Kennedy for Dem candidate for POTUS 2020. Not spectacular odds - 12 on BF sportsbook (exchange doesn't even feature him).

Unlikely at this stage of his career, but just a little feeling I have. DYOR.
  • Options

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

So, you agree that ending FOM is perfectly possible without a hard NI border? Excellent.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited November 2017
    IanB2 said:

Elliot said:

Mortimer said:

=

TonyE said:

TonyE said:

HYUFD said:

TonyE said:

HYUFD said:

y bill for it
    I sperous Britain outside it drives the commission more than the economic realities of the nation states.
    ough the Commission just allows them to keep their hands clean.
    o far and there's no sign that it will in the future.

I haven't seen SO be anything other than reasonable. But I guess it depends on your perspective. Time will reveal who lost their sense of reason. So far, the 'go whistlers' would appear to be one down?
    +1.
  • Options

<

Well, we realise from experience that it is perfectly possible to control your own border, maintain your sovereignty and trade with most of the World on WTO terms whilst still not having a recession for 20+ years. Eg all the things that Remainers seem to think are impossible.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    The billions are fine. "Extortionate Brexit is better than no Brexit" or "Crap Brexit is better than cataclysmally stupid Brexit". We are all on the same page. Time to move on.
  • Options

Mr. Rentool, and if mankind hadn't put the satellites up there we wouldn't enjoy the technological progress we currently have.

I believe I have out-Luddited you for once, Mr D!
  • Options

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

So, you agree that ending FOM is perfectly possible without a hard NI border? Excellent.
    No, I agree you’re full of wrongness and keep on hiking up Mount Wrong.
  • Options

Some people really don't like Meghan Markle do they?

https://twitter.com/spikedonline/status/935241330388885507

Don't tell the Spectator but Harry's mum was not averse to a bit of campaigning.
    I feel sorry for Prince Charles, imagine having a daughter-in-law who supports social causes.
    Why not Meghan for Times person of the year?
    I haven't seen Suits, is it that good?
  • Options
    edited November 2017

<

Well, we realise from experience that it is perfectly possible to control your own border, maintain your sovereignty and trade with most of the World on WTO terms whilst still not having a recession for 20+ years. Eg all the things that Remainers seem to think are impossible.
    Having no land borders with any other country, more immigrants than most other countries, and a shed load of almost every mineral resource known to man, can't do any harm, though? Just add water ;)
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited November 2017
    Re that Meghan Markle Spectator piece: I’m not surprised. We know exactly what Brendan O’Neil is like.
  • Options
    TonyE said:

Certainly I have heard some German commentators openly push this line. Pull the govt to the edge, humiliate them, run down the clock some more, then still don't agree, make it their fault, more young voters added to ER - and we'll turn the result over out of fear. And then we will never be asked again, and no other country will ever dare to ask.

Which commentators specifically?
  • Options

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

Ending FOM in its current form is perfectly possible without a hard border. FOM isn't about movement, but about rights that exist for those who move. Remove the rights, and you remove most of the pull. In the end, the EU isn't a warzone in Africa. People only move if they are better off by doing so. Restricting the right to the things that came with citizenship (free healthcare/in work benefits etc) removes much of the financial incentive to take low paid work in the UK.
  • Options

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

Oh dear! You really have run out of things to say.
  • Options
    TonyE said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

Ending FOM in its current form is perfectly possible without a hard border. FOM isn't about movement, but about rights that exist for those who move. Remove the rights, and you remove most of the pull. In the end, the EU isn't a warzone in Africa. People only move if they are better off by doing so. Restricting the right to the things that came with citizenship (free healthcare/in work benefits etc) removes much of the financial incentive to take low paid work in the UK.

It also makes retiring to Spain and other places in the sun a lot less attractive; which will be the quid pro quo, of course.

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917

Just put a few quid on Joe Kennedy for Dem candidate for POTUS 2020. Not spectacular odds - 12 on BF sportsbook (exchange doesn't even feature him).

Unlikely at this stage of his career, but just a little feeling I have. DYOR.

I'm torn about this punt - technically it is horrible (So I won't be investing) - but yes I think Joe will become president at some point in the future. The name/bloodlines are too strong a pull for him not to be I feel. One to add to the exchange and try to back at long odds (13.0 is too short) perhaps.
  • Options
    Mr. Rentool, only in theoretical Ludditeism. I bet you own a mobile telephone, you decadent capitalist pigdog!
  • Options
    I've just been checking anagrams for Meghan Markle. Best option looks like:

Legman Hark Me

Clearly Harry is a leg man.
  • Options

Increasingly seeing stories like this in the news more and more: https://twitter.com/ameliagentleman/status/935582982689165312

You're reading the wrong newspapers.
  • Options

Mr. Rentool, only in theoretical Ludditeism. I bet you own a mobile telephone, you decadent capitalist pigdog!

Yes, but not a smartphone. And I'm not on social media. And I've never read an e-book. And I don't have a sat-nav. And I've never used netflix. And, and, and...
  • Options

TonyE said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

It also makes retiring to Spain and other places in the sun a lot less attractive; which will be the quid pro quo, of course.

Except these benefits don't exist for ex pats in Spain.
  • Options
    LOL. All that energy, all that campaigning verve, all the pure joy at being part of the Jezza surge towards No 10...

And yet:

"In some areas in England not enough [Labour] applicants have been attracted to fill a shortlist."

"Two selections in Wales have had to be postponed due to lack of interest,"

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/labour-set-to-miss-corbyn-christmas-deadline-for-selecting-76-target-marginal-seats_uk_5a1da185e4b06a14100a7008?kmt&amp;utm_hp_ref=uk-homepage&amp;ncid=newsletter-ukThe Waugh Zone 291117
  • Options

TonyE said:

Certainly I have heard some German commentators openly push this line. Pull the govt to the edge, humiliate them, run down the clock some more, then still don't agree, make it their fault, more young voters added to ER - and we'll turn the result over out of fear. And then we will never be asked again, and no other country will ever dare to ask.

Which commentators specifically?
    Mainly stuff from Twitter, but there was a speech made in the UK by a German MEP that intimated that (albeit in more subtle language).
  • Options
    TonyE said:

TonyE said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

Except these benefits don't exist for ex pats in Spain.
    Migrants, not 'ex-pats'.
  • Options

TonyE said:

Blame the Lib Dems. The county understood, that’s why they gave Dave and George a majority.
    No intention of blaming the LDs, George made his statement when in coalition
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,710
    DavidL said:

Charles said:

Pong said:

This is what happens when the hard right take power;

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/28/i-cant-eat-or-sleep-the-grandmother-threatened-with-deportation-after-50-years-in-britain

It's being done in your name, people.

Wake up.

You never get a complete set of facts from a newspaper

But it appears that she says she arrive before the immigration rules but can't provide (or hasn't to date been able to provide) documentary evidence that she arrived in 68, just that she was in a children's home in the 70s.

Bureaucracies being what they are they need to be consistent (otherwise it's unfair to people who don't have access to the Guardian). So if she provides the evidence and she can stay. The doesn't and she is - by definition - deemed an illegal immigrant.

I'm sure that the Hone Iffice could have been more sympathetic as to how they applied the rules, but their job is to apply the rules.

There is something a bit weird about this case. Anyone who has lived continuously in the UK for 20 years, whether lawfully or not, is entitled to indefinite leave to remain on application. The relevant regulation is paragraph 277ADE(1) (iii) of the Immigration rules. She clearly has not made such an application but can now do so.
    According to this article, the 20 year rule only allows you to start qualifying for indefinite leave to remain which takes a further ten years, during which you are not eligible for any welfare. So clearly not a good option for a woman who has made her life here.

It looks like Paulette Wilson's reason for not applying for PR is the cost of the application. To be fair she has never needed it so far.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,413
    50 billion to maintain circumstances which were never favourable anyway.

The country continues to be bled dry - it's been happening with little respite since 1914.

I don't blame the EU, I blame our politicians.
  • Options
    @PaulBrandITV: Excellent analogy of Britain as a ship wreck. https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/935832798371504129
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Let's get the ship off the rocks, so that we can steer it towards that massive iceberg.
  • Options
    @nickeardleybbc: The President of America has just retweeted the deputy leader of far-right group Britain First
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited November 2017
    Absolutely off the wall bonkers. Celebrating the reopening of dodgy "vitamin supplement" pushers.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@nickeardleybbc: The President of America has just retweeted the deputy leader of far-right group Britain First

three times so far...
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Scott_P said:

three times so far...
    Just a normal day in the White House.

At least while he's fiddling with Twitter, he can't put his finger on the nuclear button.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,830

TonyE said:

surbiton said:

HYUFD said:

Why would anyone want to retire to Spain when you have Camber Sands?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

I must confess I was pleasantly surprised by Windows 10 - after horrendous bloat Microsoft finally came up with an OS that didn't consume half your hard drive and was quick & easy-ish to use. I even got it to run pretty well on a decade old notebook which had been struggling on XP.....

Yep - they had to slim it down, to fit on tablets and very low power notebooks. I bought a throwaway tablet/notebook combo for £125, just 2GB ram, runs basic stuff no problems.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

Scott_P said:

three times so far...
    https://twitter.com/GuidoFawkes/status/935837019837779968
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Not really. It's glossy and well made, but it ran out of ideas after the first season and became a soap opera (and given it's now on season 7.......)

• Options
    Scott_P said:
    "no capability to influence" doesn't fly, with her aunt running the country and her previous claims to be a spokesperson for the regime (now dropped from her website)
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Scott_P said:

three times so far...
    The BBC have just sent out a news notification about this....
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Scott_P said:

three times so far...
    Unfortunately I suspect all this will double their membership overnight.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Scott_P said:

three times so far...
    BBC describes them as "inflammatory anti-Muslim videos". That's one way to put it.
  • Options

Yes, but not a smartphone. And I'm not on social media. And I've never read an e-book. And I don't have a sat-nav. And I've never used netflix. And, and, and...
    PB is the thinking man's and woman's social mediim.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited November 2017
    Budget housing sleight of hand shock. HuffPo says Hammond and May's extra £2 billion for housing is just diverted from other schemes.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/housing-theresa-may-affordable-crisis_uk_5a1d6874e4b071403b28fdd1
  • Options

Scott_P said:

Scott_P said:

three times so far...
    Unfortunately I suspect all this will double their membership overnight.
    Yep, sadly I wouldn’t be surprised to see that either.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Not really. It's glossy and well made, but it ran out of ideas after the first season and became a soap opera (and given it's now on season 7.......)

The first Season is good though. Entertaining lite fair.

No point watching any more though.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,973

Scott_P said:

Scott_P said:

three times so far...

At least while he's fiddling with Twitter, he can't put his finger on the nuclear button.
    Oh God, don't give Twitter ideas ...
  • Options
    Miaow from Emily Thornberry.
  • Options
    Yeah, the point is to obliquely direct your readership therebso they 'discover' it themselves. Not directly quote them. That breaks the plausible deniability to your racism.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Scott_P said:

Scott_P said:

three times so far...

My "twitter for person of the year" suggestion looks quite prescient, by my standards.
  • Options
    Can you imagine FDR retweeting Oswald Mosley?
  • Options
    Asking the DPM to answer Questions to the Health Secretary? Interesting strategy.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

Scott_P said:

Scott_P said:

three times so far...

My "twitter for person of the year" suggestion looks quite prescient, by my standards.
    Could be. Although in recent years Time have done Zuckerberg and before that 'You' (the latter being a reference to then emerging social media and all that audience generated content - they even had a mirror on the front page to reflect the reader's face).
  • Options
    I hope she has some better targeted questions down the page
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    Reading leavers' Damascene conversion on paying an exit bill has been jolly funny this morning. All the way from "the undemocratic EUSSR shouldn't get a bean" to "it's only fair, we owed it anyway" in such a short space of time...

If only Theresa had known the Brexiteers had the backbone of a soggy cornflake, this could have been resolved months and months ago.
  • Options
    Ugh this has turned into a shite performance from Lady Nugee.
This discussion has been closed.