Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Donald Trump’s re-tweets are going to cause Theresa May some p

Comments

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

You and Theresa wish. There seems to be a lack of understanding from the both of you as to how politics works.

You are confusing faux-outrage from the Guardian-reading classes with how politics works. The British public, to their great credit, don't care a toss about Britain First, indeed hardly any of them have heard of it, they don't follow Twitter, they know perfectly well that Trump is an idiot or worse, they know perfectly well that the UK has to keep on good terms with the US administration, and they know perfectly well that one thing Theresa May can't be blamed for is the choice of president made by the US.
    POTUS has stepped into TM’s world. Into our world. He is her big buddy and he is retweeting about and thereby endorsing British racists.

But you and Rachel think that in the current political environment, where Labour is making much of the running, and using attack lines among others about generally racist Tories...that she can ignore it?

We shall see.
    Have you even looked at opinion polling lately?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,920

'Altering the ownership structure of the railways," Conservative-style:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42157853

"Firms which operate passenger services would also manage the tracks their trains run on, under government plans to fix "creaking" UK railways."

That's a sensible post Brexit policy move. EU railway regulation was designed to encourage cross border competition in the EU, with firms able to operate services between states.

Clearly that doesn't meaningfully apply in the UK (and never has done), so the regulation was actively harmful to us.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    rcs1000 said:

This Paulette Wilson story.. both the Guardian and BBC reports claim she was 10 when she left Jamaica in 1968. And she's now 61, 49 years later. Someone didn't bother checking the maths

It's a consequence of time dilation. Because Jamaica is nearer the equator than we are, it rotates faster, and time therefore goes more slowly than in the UK. Hence, when she came to the UK her rate of ageing sped up marginally, and she's reached the aged of 61 after only 59 years (as measured from Kingston),
    Having holidayed in the Caribbean, I agree with you that time goes much, much more slowly there than here. Good old Einstein.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,891
    rcs1000 said:

"Firms which operate passenger services would also manage the tracks their trains run on, under government plans to fix "creaking" UK railways."

That's a sensible post Brexit policy move. EU railway regulation was designed to encourage cross border competition in the EU, with firms able to operate services between states.

Clearly that doesn't meaningfully apply in the UK (and never has done), so the regulation was actively harmful to us.
    In part, yes. The way we've implemented the legislation, the 'cross-border competition' has become the Open-Access arrangements (the future of which the pro-renationalisation people remain rather silent).
  • Options
    TMay can and should call out Trump on this. It is a basic point of principle and decency and she needs to make a stand.

Trump.is not the USA and will not be in power forever. She needs to do the right thing.
  • Options
    US stock markets reach record highs. Perhaps the Don will turn his twittering to that now.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,320

As the saying goes: I agree with Nick. (P).

Gosh. You're approvingly quoting a Guardian-reading former communist who has given interviews on Press TV. Probably Mrs May should condemn you too.

It's one of the charms of PB that we sometimes agree across apparently infinite chasms.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    rcs1000 said:

All Ireland got an opt-out from that, based on lack of connection to the rest of the European network and incompatible track gauge, and the Republic has only very recently given up their opt-out (consequently UIC numbering is now appearing on Irish rolling stock). It would have been trivial for the UK to get one too I suspect but as always anything that sounds like it promotes "the free market" gets waved through whether sensible or not.
  • Options
    The Boris Johnson School of Diplomacy is doing well.......

https://twitter.com/DamienRieu/status/935522973758443523
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Does anyone know, are the contents of the videos legitimate or fake? If the former then why is there no outrage over people being thrown off a roof, instead outrage that Donald is pointing it out?
  • Options
    PendduPenddu Posts: 265
    Is it time to mention Bitcoin?
  • Options
    MarkHopkinsMarkHopkins Posts: 5,584

Uber says the data breach it kept secret for over a year resulted in the personal data of approximately 2.7 million people in the UK being exposed.

https://news.sky.com/story/uber-data-hack-hit-27m-uk-riders-and-drivers-11148946
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Does anyone know, are the contents of the videos legitimate or fake? If the former then why is there no outrage over people being thrown off a roof, instead outrage that Donald is pointing it out?

The 'throwing off the roof story' is true if 4 years old - it was an Egyptian teenager in the wrong place at the wrong time......remind me, how many died in Las Vegas (filed under 'stuff happens')?
  • Options

The Boris Johnson School of Diplomacy is doing well.......

https://twitter.com/DamienRieu/status/935522973758443523

Burkinabe is an interesting adjective though
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,902

US stock markets reach record highs. Perhaps the Don will turn his twittering to that now.

When you think about the companies that are the new masters of the most important part of the commercial world (The internet) - Amazon, Apple, Google - they are all from the US of A. So inevitably the US Stockmarket is going to outperform others, I err think.
  • Options

So we're heading back to lots of independent separately-run railways as in pre-Grouping days. Someone needs to recall why Grouping happened: small railway companies were not profitable. Even the Big Four companies struggled to make money - nationalization was as much a bail-out as anything else.
  • Options
    TykejohnnoTykejohnno Posts: 7,362
    MaxPB said:

+1
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,222
    Pulpstar said:

When you think about the companies that are the new masters of the most important part of the commercial world (The internet) - Amazon, Apple, Google - they are all from the US of A. So inevitably the US Stockmarket is going to outperform others, I err think.
    Yet most analysts have been saying for some time that they think the US market is the most overvalued, using traditional metrics
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    rpjs said:

rcs1000 said:

All Ireland got an opt-out from that, based on lack of connection to the rest of the European network and incompatible track gauge, and the Republic has only very recently given up their opt-out (consequently UIC numbering is now appearing on Irish rolling stock). It would have been trivial for the UK to get one too I suspect but as always anything that sounds like it promotes "the free market" gets waved through whether sensible or not.
    HS2 fits quite nicely into the Pan EU rail strategy, it should be noted.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Yep. If this had been the system from the start of privatisation it would have made for a far better service.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,244
    Well at least the right wing press agree with some PB posters and have ignored the whole Trump non-story.

telegraph.co.uk/
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,578
    Off topic, PBers may be interested to know that this evening leader of Leeds City Council Judith Blake faces a 'reselection battle'. One of the others on the 3-strong shortlist is the 'Corbynite' CLP Secretary. Not my branch, but I'll report the result when I find out.

And don't forget, we use AV to select the winner.
  • Options
    How long will the charging or not advise take ?
  • Options

Update on Ben Stokes

twitter.com/ASPolice/status/935886626500370432

So it was the plod fannying about rather than the CPS...if the CPS fanny about as long, the next Ashes series will be finished by the time they decide.
  • Options

How long will the charging or not advise take ?
    Piece of string territory.

I fear he’ll be charged now.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Oops.

It's almost like he has no clue what he is doing...
  • Options
    rpjs said:

So we're heading back to lots of independent separately-run railways as in pre-Grouping days. Someone needs to recall why Grouping happened: small railway companies were not profitable. Even the Big Four companies struggled to make money - nationalization was as much a bail-out as anything else.
    No, we're not. They were different times: pre-grouping there were ?122? separate companies - and a big driver for the change was the fact the government did not want to pay for the work done by the railways during the First World War. Coincidentally (or not), the same thing happened after the Second World War ...

We're not going to get ten separate companies out of this, yet alone 100, so the comparison is silly.

Also, the railway companies were facing new threats to their markets, and had come out of a period of massive expansion. They also had the common-carrier burden.
  • Options

Update on Ben Stokes

twitter.com/ASPolice/status/935886626500370432

So it was the plod fannying about rather than the CPS...if the CPS fanny about as long, the next Ashes series will be finished by the time they decide.
    I think the rozzers are preparing enough evidence for more than one person to be charged and Stokes to be charged with a more serious charge.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qvzdb5/the-truth-behind-those-anti-muslim-videos-donald-trump-just-retweeted-vgtrn
  • Options
    Penddu said:

In the past 24 hours, I've sold all the Bitcoin that I'm able to access.

(Ignoring the $300 worth of Bitcoin I can't find the passphrase of.)
  • Options
    Amazing. September 3rd wasn't that long ago. What was DD playing it? Were the government just deluded? If so, it's concerning that they continued to be deluded that late in the game. Or did panic set in?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    rcs1000 said:

Penddu said:

I’m torn about what to do on that front. Have you sold your BCH too?
  • Options
    RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Penddu said:

No. Partly because I can't be arsed to open an account with an exchange that handles BCH. And partly because I see more of a future for BTH than BTC.

Of course, ETH is the only one I like in the long, long term.
  • Options
    Good afternoon, everyone.

I see Lammy's upset about this. He'll be horrified when he discovers the leader of his own party routinely marches under the banner and image of Josef Stalin.

On a less pithy note, there is a plausible, albeit improbable, route for the far right to rise significantly. Rotherham, coupled with Nick Griffin's warnings and the establishment's collective blind eye, means people won't simply accept an accusation (or even a reality) of racism as a reason to ignore someone.

For all the EU wibbling, perhaps the most serious divide is over integration, or not, of culture. Until the political and media class are willing to defend British values (and I'm not talking about maypole dancing, just basic things like not raping WWC boys and girls or FGM) there's a wide open space for the far right to occupy.

And why wouldn't they? The far left already has the official party of Opposition.

/grim
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2017
    rcs1000 said:

Penddu said:

Is there an estimate of the value of bitcoin that's been lost?

Like, I assume it's possible to draw inferences from the blockchain and coins that aren't being traded?

Forgive me if it's a dumb q. I've stayed out of bitcoin and i'm aware I don't have much understanding beyond the general principles.
  • Options
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Penddu said:

No. Partly because I can't be arsed to open an account with an exchange that handles BCH. And partly because I see more of a future for BTH than BTC.

BTH?...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Thomson-Houston

• Options
    Follow the link through.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,902
    About Bitcoin, won't they err die when a hard drive dies ?
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,934
    rcs1000 said:

RobD said:

rcs1000 said:

Penddu said:

I would recommend ditching your BCH sooner rather than later. Roger Ver (one half of BCH, along with Jihan Wu) had a major meltdown a couple of days ago on a live stream and flipped the bird at someone. BCH had its moment a few weeks ago when it reached 0.4 btc. The only reason it's not fallen lower yet is because there are plenty of bagholders desperately hoping for a better exit price.

Coinbase release the BCH from the fork to their customers in January, it looks like most of them will dump it for more BTC, adding to sell pressure.

Are you aware if you held BTC on October 23rd, you also hold a 1:1 ratio of a worthless fork called Bitcoin Gold that is currently trading at $347 for no other reason than the name 'bitcoin' is in it?

Be careful when claiming it as there are many malicious wallets out there with spyware that steal your private keys, always move your existing BTC to a new secure wallet before claiming.
  • Options

Follow the link through.
    Awesome.
  • Options
    TonyETonyE Posts: 938
    edited November 2017
    (spin)And he would be correct. The divorce bill is about £25bn. The cost of partial membership up until the point at which we are no longer a member at all (end transition) is about £20bn. Which we expected all along. (/spin)

• Options
    TonyE said:

And he would be correct. The divorce bill is about £25bn. The cost of partial membership up until the point at which we are no longer a member at all (end transition) is about £20bn. Which we expected all along.

... is that actually true? or are we paying on top
  • Options
    TonyE said:

(spin)And he would be correct. The divorce bill is about £25bn. The cost of partial membership up until the point at which we are no longer a member at all (end transition) is about £20bn. Which we expected all along. (/spin)

Link please.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/qvzdb5/the-truth-behind-those-anti-muslim-videos-donald-trump-just-retweeted-vgtrn
    Yep,Trump as got this one wrong to most of us,the sites he used and footage to be old or not true.

But I get the feeling he knows what he's doing for his own agenda.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Ta.
  • Options
    edited November 2017
    Pong said:

rcs1000 said:

Penddu said:

Like, I assume it's possible to draw inferences from the blockchain and coins that aren't being traded?

Forgive me if it's a dumb q. I've stayed out of bitcoin and i'm aware I don't have much understanding beyond the general principles.
    A recent article in Fortune estimates about 4,000,000 BTC are "lost", ~20% of the total mined so far. http://fortune.com/2017/11/25/lost-bitcoins/

I saw that in a comment on an interesting post on the SF writer Charlie Stross' blog: http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2017/11/unforseen-consequences-and-tha.html . The comments there are always very high quality.
  • Options
    I have a modest holding of bitcoin, and planned to sell it this week, but with the market going crazy I have sat back and watched it double its value in about two weeks. It has eased back a bit in the last hour or so, but I am happy to let it ride and will cash out when it settles down. But I also hold Ether and plan to keep that for another six months or so.

It is not really money...but it's not tulips either. And i have made a lot of money so far on blockchain generally.

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,017
    Barnier points out that Norway/Sweden border is not frictionless:

http://europa.eu/rapid/press-release_SPEECH-17-5026_en.htm
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

MaxPB said:

So a no and a couple of maybes.
  • Options
    I have never understood Bitcoin mining....or how to use a wallet etc, I just buy a Bitcoin Tracker. Seems safer.
  • Options
    Mr. Glenn, that's not all Barnier's been saying.
    https://twitter.com/nick_gutteridge/status/935892583817138177
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    How can the government the East Coast Main Line at a profit and private companies can't?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/29/east-coast-rail-franchise-terminated-three-years-early-virgin-trains
  • Options
    Mr. Penddu, in the old days, Etruscans carried around a brick of bronze and carved bits off to pay for things. It had the added advantage of doubling up as a club if someone tried to mug you.
  • Options

rpjs said:

We're not going to get ten separate companies out of this, yet alone 100, so the comparison is silly.
    We're not? There are currently nearly twenty franchises and concessions. Even if we discount those that run almost wholly on tracks that other franchise operators run on (XC, TPE, Caledonian Sleeper) that's still a lot more than ten.

And where does rail freight fit into this? Do the vertically integrated TOCs get to run the infrastructure on freight-only lines that branch off from their tracks, or does that fall to the FOCs? And do the FOCs even want that?

• Options

Mr. Penddu, in the old days, Etruscans carried around a brick of bronze and carved bits off to pay for things. It had the added advantage of doubling up as a club if someone tried to mug you.

Clubcoin?

• Options
    Mr. Hopkins, coins? Coins?! No such thing back in those days. Although they did have (very) hard currency.
  • Options

Remember when Theresa May threatened our intelligence cooperation with the EU if we didn’t get a good Brexit deal.

So on the first point he’s got justification.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

How can the government the East Coast Main Line at a profit and private companies can't?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/nov/29/east-coast-rail-franchise-terminated-three-years-early-virgin-trains

Grayling secures a future seat on the board of Stagecoach when he leaves office.
  • Options

Remember when Theresa May threatened our intelligence cooperation with the EU if we didn’t get a good Brexit deal.

So on the first point he’s got justification.

So the EU should give us a good Brexit deal - then Barnier will be wrong on both points.

• Options
    rpjs said:

rpjs said:

We're not? There are currently nearly twenty franchises and concessions. Even if we discount those that run almost wholly on tracks that other franchise operators run on (XC, TPE, Caledonian Sleeper) that's still a lot more than ten.

And where does rail freight fit into this? Do the vertically integrated TOCs get to run the infrastructure on freight-only lines that branch off from their tracks, or does that fall to the FOCs? And do the FOCs even want that?

Because it's unlikely that all concessions will 'own' track - e.g. Cross Country or the sleepers are unlikely to.

Your second paragraph is the important one. If there are owners of track that also run services, then not just freight, but OA and other services will need to get 'fair' treatment when they run on other operator's lines. That's potentially difficult, but the industry is more or less set up for that at the moment anyway. It is a big question to be addressed when we see the legislation, though.
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, we reduced information sharing with the German intelligence services some time ago after everything we told them mysteriously ended up in nefarious hands. We've also been bombing ISIS for quite some time.

If Barnier wants to condemn security risks he could always take a look at Mutti Merkel, who threw open the EU's borders to let in anyone who wanted to come, without any vetting whatsoever.
  • Options
    @paulwaugh: Breaking: Strong + unprecedented condemnation of Trump's Britain First tweets. PM's official spksman: "It's wrong for the President to have done this"
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, we reduced information sharing with the German intelligence services some time ago after everything we told them mysteriously ended up in nefarious hands. We've also been bombing ISIS for quite some time.

If Barnier wants to condemn security risks he could always take a look at Mutti Merkel, who threw open the EU's borders to let in anyone who wanted to come, without any vetting whatsoever.

Do you have a link to your first assertion?
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, not off-hand. It was a while ago, maybe a year.
  • Options
    @bbclaurak: No 10 - Trump is wrong to have posted the messages, but plans for the state visit remain in place
  • Options

As the saying goes: I agree with Nick. (P).

Gosh. You're approvingly quoting a Guardian-reading former communist who has given interviews on Press TV. Probably Mrs May should condemn you too.

It's one of the charms of PB that we sometimes agree across apparently infinite chasms.
    It's getting towards the season of goodwill, but I'm sure normal service will resume in a while!
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,573
    edited November 2017
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,017
    I called it... Nigel Farage says that we would be better off remaining in the EU as a full member than having the Brexit we're getting.

https://soundcloud.com/alan-garriock/lbc-28nov-farage-better-off-remaining
  • Options
    Miss Vance, possibly related but the story I recall distinctly referred to the British.

Mr. Rex, again, possibly related but the story wasn't about publicising secret information, but said information magically finding its way into nefarious hands.

Mildly amused, however, that there are multiple different but similar stories about how unreliable the German security services are.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    edited November 2017

I called it... Nigel Farage says that we would be better off remaining in the EU as a full member than having the Brexit we're getting.

https://soundcloud.com/alan-garriock/lbc-28nov-farage-better-off-remaining

Of course he does so he can then argue for no payments to the EU plus leaving the single market and EU and ending free movement and WTO rules as the only true Brexit as the best way to revive UKIP and his own career without facing the problem of ever having to deliver it
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,940
    edited November 2017
    Scott_P said:

@bbclaurak: No 10 - Trump is wrong to have posted the messages, but plans for the state visit remain in place

Might be best for Trump to spend most of his state visit in Burnley rather than London though
  • Options
    edited November 2017

A cynical attempt to derail things leading to a Brexit disaster pour encourager les autres? Or just an idiot?

Even as an arch-remainiac I can only view his comments as extremely unhelpful, at best.
  • Options

Miss Vance, possibly related but the story I recall distinctly referred to the British.

Mr. Rex, again, possibly related but the story wasn't about publicising secret information, but said information magically finding its way into nefarious hands.

Mildly amused, however, that there are multiple different but similar stories about how unreliable the German security services are.

You're correct - there have been several reports over the years:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4039080/GCHQ-fear-German-spies-t-trusted.html
  • Options
    So threats to but did not actually reduce. Mr Dancer is a purveyor of FAKE NEWS.
  • Options
    tim80tim80 Posts: 99
    This is exactly the type of post that shows how out of touch the Westminster bubble is.

Any normal and rational voter will not think differently of T May because of what Trump has done.
  • Options

Clubcoin?

I thought the point of bronze was that it was pretty tough stuff, hence used for weapons until they figured out how to use iron. Seems a daft choice of brick if you need to carve bits off it. Much easier to use either constituent on its own (copper or tin).

Perhaps TSE has a point about your historical knowledge. /tease
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited November 2017
    Pulpstar said:

That's certainly an argument which is used by those bullish on the US stockmarkets. My personal view FWIW is that there is some truth in it - this is not like the dot-com boom when all sorts of rubbish companies were being valued at billions despite having zero revenues and business plans which seemed to have been drawn up by pranksters.

'Inevitable' though is a strong word. There's no doubt that on some measures the US market is looking pretty pricey, and a sharpish fall wouldn't be surprising. In normal circumstances I'd be de-risking by moving at least partly out of US stocks into bonds at this stage in such a long bull market. However, bonds look even more over-valued and we know that interest rates are drifting upwards. I think all one can do is decide how much you want to allocate to equities (depending on your risk tolerance and investment timescales), and divide that amongst a well-diversified range of international markets. Increasing exposure to Japan might be worth looking at. (Or simply buy a global index fund).

Divide the non-equity portion into property, infrastructure funds, bonds, and maybe cash deposits (which at least won't collapse suddenly even if you know they're guaranteed to lose value slowly at current interest rates). And hope for the best!

(This is not financial advice etc etc!)
  • Options
    Mr. Anorak, just idiotic, I think.

Mr. Eagles, I know you're probably just being silly, but given there are multiple stories others have found very swiftly that indicates that my view of the German security services has rather a lot of foundation in fact.
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited November 2017
    rpjs said:

Pong said:

rcs1000 said:

Penddu said:

A recent article in Fortune estimates about 4,000,000 BTC are "lost", ~20% of the total mined so far. http://fortune.com/2017/11/25/lost-bitcoins/

I saw that in a comment on an interesting post on the SF writer Charlie Stross' blog: http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/2017/11/unforseen-consequences-and-tha.html . The comments there are always very high quality.
    Cheers.
  • Options
    Poor Everton fans.

You aim for Diego Simone and end up with Sam Allardyce.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,573
    edited November 2017

So threats to but did not actually reduce. Mr Dancer is a purveyor of FAKE NEWS.
    See later Mail article:

Britain told the Germans that the freeze on information would not only apply to MI6 and GCHQ but also to the Metropolitan Police, the Serious Organised Crime Agency (SOCA) and the UK Border Force.

The source said: ‘It has now reached the point where there is virtual radio silence between the two biggest and most important intelligence services of the western world and the BND of Germany
  • Options

Mr. Anorak, just idiotic, I think.

Mr. Eagles, I know you're probably just being silly, but given there are multiple stories others have found very swiftly that indicates that my view of the German security services has rather a lot of foundation in fact.

You said ‘we reduced information sharing with the German intelligence services some time ago’

That is just wrong by you.
  • Options
    For once I agree with Guido:

https://order-order.com/2017/11/29/barnier-uk-turned-back-fighting-isis/

Barnier surprises me - I thought he was a level headed chap......
  • Options
    Miss Vance, that sounds like the one.

Mr. Eagles, poor timing with that post, the one immediately preceding it by Miss Vance indicates otherwise.

Honestly. A lawyer should know that lack of evidence doesn't prove a claim is false. Alas, you're blinded by your EU-philia.
  • Options
    That the state visit is continuing is likely to a line of attack for Labour, who are in a much stronger position to attack TMay now on this issue then they were pre-GE.
  • Options

Poor Everton fans.

You aim for Diego Simone and end up with Sam Allardyce.

Lots of Christmas cheer in the football agent community though....going to be a bumper January for them.
This discussion has been closed.