Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Toxic Theresa’s ratings hit rock bottom with Ipsos MORI

2»

Comments

• Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    edited December 2017
    Mr. Nick, on the other hand, this has been hammed up so much that some genuine turbulence caused by our departure will be written off as 'typical' propaganda.

When you have idiotic pronouncements of a 0.1% spike in inflation, the damage done is not to the Government or to the concept of leaving the EU, but to the journalist's standing.

Edited extra bit: mentioned these before, but in case you missed them (or the longer odds editions), Alonso and Bottas for the 2018 title, each way (fifth odds for top 3) at 12 and 16 [boosted] respectively on Betfair are jointly worth a look.

If the Renault engine is bad, then Mercedes are likely to be either in the contest or dominant. In that case, Bottas is likely to be top 3. If the Renault engine is good enough, McLaren are likely to line up behind Alonso, and their car this year was very good, just hampered massively by the Honda engine.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2017

England drawn in Belgium's group.

At least it isn't Germany...

Iran from Pot Three please....
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited December 2017
    Danny565 said:

The most surprising point to me in this IpsosMORI poll is that Chancellor Hammond gets such good ratings compared with an (admittedly hypothetical) Chancellor Gove, and even more so that the disparity is even greater amongst Conservative supporters.

Maybe we shouldn't write off those Hammond for PM betting slips quite yet.

Does that say more about Hammond being popular, or Gove just being truly radioactively unpopular??
    +1. Can’t believe some seriously think Gove should lead the Tories.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

A senior Anglican minister has been criticised for saying people should pray for Prince George to be gay to help the Church of England recognise same-sex marriage.

The Very Reverend Kelvin Holdsworth wrote a blog post urging people to pray him "to be blessed one day with the love of a fine young gentleman".

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-42192706

Bizarre.

Golly, what an arsehole (which, for the avoidance of doubt, he would equally be if we were meant to be praying for G *not* to be gay). Bleurghhh at "fine young gentleman".
  • Options

England drawn in Belgium's group.

At least it isn't Germany...

Iran from Pot Three please....
    We're going to get Senegal and Sadio Mane's going to destroy England.
  • Options
    Tunisia drawn in England's group alongside Belgium
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,924
    edited December 2017

IanB2 said:

Toxic Theresa versus Corrosive Corbyn. How blessed we are in our leaders.

Could be worse. We could be American.
    Or even worse: From Essex.*

* Or maybe a Radiohead fan or summinck.
    I always had you down as a nasty piece of work. Cricket’s county champions for a start.
  • Options

Tunisia drawn in England's group alongside Belgium

Yeahhhhhhh
  • Options
    I do not follow US politics but getting rid of Trump would seem very sensible if it can be done

He is a disaster
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited December 2017
    Ishmael_Z said:

A senior Anglican minister has been criticised for saying people should pray for Prince George to be gay to help the Church of England recognise same-sex marriage.

The Very Reverend Kelvin Holdsworth wrote a blog post urging people to pray him "to be blessed one day with the love of a fine young gentleman".

Bizarre.

Golly, what an arsehole (which, for the avoidance of doubt, he would equally be if we were meant to be praying for G *not* to be gay). Bleurghhh at "fine young gentleman".
    Absolutely. Why shouldn't the little prince go for a dirty-fingernailed bit of rough in these more enlightened times?
  • Options
    Panama please from Pot 4....
  • Options
    Well Group A is shit isn't it....The one with Russia in it...nothing dodgy ever happens when Russia are involved...
  • Options
    As a Norwich fan I am comfortable with a mix of sides (a) we can justifiably lose to or (b) are so completely crap we can actually beat.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Of the top of my head, a really good year for his crew is in the region of 3%.

Yep - on the upside, they can bet tens of thousands, or often hundreds of thousands, on every match. In other sports you can have much higher returns, but can struggle to get more than a few hundred down.
    I could possibly find a useful contact in Thai football, if I asked around enough.
  • Options
    Brazil can play their 3rd XI in the group stages.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,854

Well Group A is shit isn't it....The one with Russia in it...nothing dodgy ever happens when Russia are involved...

Almost as if it were designed to see the hosts through to the later stages of the tournament.
  • Options
    England get Panama
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Ishmael_Z said:

Bizarre.

Absolutely. Why shouldn't the little prince go for a dirty-fingernailed bit of rough in these more enlightened times?
    The wrong sort of snow, I suspect, from the v revd Kelvin's point of view.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Almost as if it were designed to see the hosts through to the later stages of the tournament.
    Going to love the Qatar WC draw....
  • Options
    Panama
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,299
    edited December 2017
    If England don't get out of that group, the team should be forced to stay in Russia for the rest of their lives.
  • Options
    Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • Options
    Germany have the toughest group.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited December 2017

twitter.com/Coral/status/936625447936446464

Not sure people should be saying "get out of group easily". Belgium on paper are very good team, but it could have been a lot lot lot worse.

Re 2010, USA were actually a good team. Very well organized and extremely fit.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Going to love the Qatar WC draw....
    WC in Qatar is going to be a complete nightmare on so many levels. Starting with that if they don’t end the falling out with all their Arabian neighbours then no-one is going to be able to attend the matches without a long haul flight in and straight out again. The number of hotels in Qatar itself is just about good for the teams, VIPs and media.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

felix said:

kle4 said:

felix said:

Given that government is having to deal with one of the most difficult and divisive changes to national direction we have seen since WWII and as a minority government propped up by the DUP, under a PM who is not naturally gifted at engaging with the public, and amidst all the scandals, disunity, confusion, and sexual misconduct allegations, and all this at a time when the public finances remain tight and the economy is slowing, it's a bleeding miracle that the figures aren't massively worse.

Yes - despite TSE's hyperbole the figures really don't match the rhetoric and the frustration shows through in his rather desperate use of language.
    No, but they are in a bad way and even if they dont fall further theres not much reason to think they will rise higher either.
    The historical trend on IPSOS, with one or two exceptions, is that once you're done, you're done.
    T. May will not fight the next GE. Her ratings and probably the party's too will depend on how the public view Brexit at the end. If it is not the disaster that many predict, and indeed are hoping for, things will look very different.
    I think it almost inevitable that it will be seen as a disaster, if only because everything that goes wrong just about anywhere will be blamed on Brexit for years to come. It already features in every company announcement of bad news, every piece of economic data that is below expectation and it's blamed for everything from a lack of nurses in the health service to a decline in the UK's diplomatic influence. It's a ready-made scapegoat for all kinds of bad news - just like the EU used to be before the referendum!
    Yes but the hype is so extreme that unless we really do have floods, pestilence and the £ sinks without trace - things won't seem so bad. After all the fact that the £ has held up well above $ and € parity so far has already confounded many predictions made just after the vote.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    edited December 2017
    Mr. Sandpit, I'm sure the temperate climate and relaxed nature of the authorities will help ease things.

Edited extra bit: and I bet Russia loved that Qatar got 2022. Hardly anybody's talked about the unusual claim that the Russian bid team rented computers which were subsequently destroyed, because Russia is still vastly more credible as a host nation than Qatar.
  • Options

Germany have the toughest group.

Oh dear!
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548
    Germany France Final, Germany knock England out at QF.

From my sofascore predictor!

interesting Spain/Port/Morocco derby
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    Iceland must be so disappointed about not being able to dump England out of the World Cup in the first round.
  • Options

do you have a link to any online put-your-numbers in thing?
  • Options
    BBC - Scotland yard launching an investigation into it's former police officer's actions over Damien Green
  • Options

First things first - will England beat Panama
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Well overdue a loss to them then.

Especially with who they field.
  • Options
    Puts busenomics/project fear into a little more perspective.

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/936565574850760704
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095

BBC - Scotland yard launching an investigation into it's former police officer's actions over Damien Green

"Move along Sir.....nothing to see....."
  • Options
    edited December 2017

Mr. Sandpit, I'm sure the temperate climate and relaxed nature of the authorities will help ease things.

Edited extra bit: and I bet Russia loved that Qatar got 2022. Hardly anybody's talked about the unusual claim that the Russian bid team rented computers which were subsequently destroyed, because Russia is still vastly more credible as a host nation than Qatar.

The weather is the one thing that will be okay in Qatar - because they moved the tournament to December! 25C here today in the sandpit, there may even be some rain in the next couple of weeks.

Yes, the focus on Qatar took a lot of attention away from Russia, whose bid was likely to have been just as, err, problematic. The problems with the Russian tournament itself are going to be the logistics (long haul flights again, but with dodgy old Soviet planes) and a certain element of the local fan base who are more interested in a good dust-up than they are in watching the match. Also rumours of stadia completed in a hurry to poor standards.
  • Options

First things first - will England beat Panama
    Panama 0 - 1 England (Ovalle 87' OG)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited December 2017
    Most people will be bewildered as to why the contents of Damian Green's computer nearly 10 years ago is more important than the pressing issues of the day (given that no illegality was involved). Another example of the ever increasing gap between what most people are worried about and what the political class are talking about.
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    flint to testify against trump (apparently)

https://twitter.com/LiveSquawk/status/936630544238080000

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    The Only Way Is Up (For Theresa) ?
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    ABC News’ @BrianRoss reports that Flynn is prepared to testify President Trump directed him to make contact with Russians
  • Options
    llef said:

ABC News’ @BrianRoss reports that Flynn is prepared to testify President Trump directed him to make contact with Russians

Could be fun - Trump needs to go and fast
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    felix said:

Yes but the hype is so extreme that unless we really do have floods, pestilence and the £ sinks without trace - things won't seem so bad. After all the fact that the £ has held up well above $ and € parity so far has already confounded many predictions made just after the vote.

Certainly things have not turned out as bad as project fear suggested but nor are they anywhere near as good as leavers promised. We have already seen the promises of a simple, cost-free exit disappear like the autumn mist and it is clear beyond reasonable doubt that our exit will be on unfavourable terms dictated by the EU. There seems to be no hope of living standards rising for the forseeable future and the famous £350m for the NHS will never be delivered. We were promised all the trading advantages of EU membership but none of the costs - what we seem to be getting is all the costs and precious few of the advantages. This is unlikely to escape the notice of the electorate over the next few years.
  • Options
    Could Trump really be done??
  • Options
    llef said:

Interesting. There’s Russians and there’s Russians though, Trump’s future depends on exactly who they are and what they did.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395

Who's going to impeach him?
  • Options

Can a sitting resident hold out against an FBI indictment???
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

felix said:

Certainly things have not turned out as bad as project fear suggested but nor are they anywhere near as good as leavers promised. We have already seen the promises of a simple, cost-free exit disappear like the autumn mist and it is clear beyond reasonable doubt that our exit will be on unfavourable terms dictated by the EU. There seems to be no hope of living standards rising for the forseeable future and the famous £350m for the NHS will never be delivered. We were promised all the trading advantages of EU membership but none of the costs - what we seem to be getting is all the costs and precious few of the advantages. This is unlikely to escape the notice of the electorate over the next few years.
    52% voted for it unlike me. I believe many did not expect it to be all goodies from day 1. The polling recently has shown little significant change in peoples' views. Again like so many hard core 'remainers' you over egg the negatives and assume the voters will follow your lead. I did not want Brexit but I am sceptical about the portents of doom and I hope for a better outcome. Can you honestly say the same?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578
    felix said:

felix said:

52% voted for it unlike me. I believe many did not expect it to be all goodies from day 1. The polling recently has shown little significant change in peoples' views. Again like so many hard core 'remainers' you over egg the negatives and assume the voters will follow your lead. I did not want Brexit but I am sceptical about the portents of doom and I hope for a better outcome. Can you honestly say the same?
    I think doom is too strong a word but I do think Brexit will have a very negative effect in the long run - it is already becoming evident in that UK growth is slowing down whilst world growth is speeding up. The UK is likely to enter into a long period of relative decline and it's quite hard to see how this could be reversed. Over time I think most foreign investment will relocate to the continent and London will gradually lose its position as Eurpoe's financial centre and return to the kind of position it had in the 1970s - important, but not the major world city it is today. A cliff edge Brexit would speed up this process considerably.

Of course I hope for a better outcome, but it's very hard to see how this could come about.
  • Options
    foxinsoxukfoxinsoxuk Posts: 23,548

Is the sofascore app on android.

• Options
    stevefstevef Posts: 1,044
    Yet despite May being so unpopular (almost as unpopular as Thatcher was in 1986) Labour only has a 2 point lead yet again (when no opposition has formed a government without being 15 points ahead between elections), and Corbyn's own ratings have fallen. And if the Tories are only 2 points behind when the hugely unpopular May is PM, what will they be when a more popular leader takes over?
This discussion has been closed.