Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on the Lib Dems getting 14% or higher with YouGov t

SystemSystem Posts: 11,020
edited September 2013 in General

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betting on the Lib Dems getting 14% or higher with YouGov this year

This year their average poll score with YouGov is 10.46%, out of the 169 YouGov polls this year, the Lib Dems have polled in double digits in 144 of them.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    first.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,983
    edited September 2013
    Mr. Palmer (FPT), surely a blog about Politics, Cats, and Differential Front End Grip?

I'd be slightly surprised if the yellows didn't get 14% or more at some point.

Edited extra bit: on the prior thread I posted that I'd backed Wawrinka to beat Berdych at 3.15. He's out to 3.25 now. Incidentally, if those who are interested in such things would prefer them to be put on my betting blog and/or Twitter as well as/instead of here, do let me know.
  • Options
    GrandioseGrandiose Posts: 2,323
    FPT

Surely Labour would like to do better than "All parties are the same", they'd like to attack Conservatives over family ties, money, and tim's 'chumocracy'. A score draw would be a disappointment.
  • Options
    FPT:
    So basically they should be kept in conditions that they wouldnt be tempted to stay in?

That's a bit of a disingenuous statement. The refugee camps should be safe, secure and meet all their daily needs, but by their very nature they would be temporary because being a refugee is temporary in it's nature.

The aim of the world community is to bring peace to Syria right? So, the aim is that Syrians would go home after the conflict is finished.

If it continues beyond a certain point then longer term solutions should be considered of course, but then that would imply a failure of bringing an end to the conflict.
  • Options
    NeilNeil Posts: 7,983
    Grandiose said:

FPT

Surely Labour would like to do better than "All parties are the same", they'd like to attack Conservatives over family ties, money, and tim's 'chumocracy'. A score draw would be a disappointment.

What is the alternative, banning someone like Will Straw from seeking selection for the Labour party?
  • Options
    On topic - the yougov Lib Dem poll ratings seem amazingly consistent over the past few months. I would have thought 14% around their conference would have been possible but looking at the yougov ratings I'm not tempted.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Grandiose said:

FPT

What is the alternative, banning someone like Will Straw from seeking selection for the Labour party?
    Implausible; but that does not distract from the fact that Labour will be unable to run the line they would like.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    Grandiose said:

FPT

After all the guff we had yesterday re an MP at a wedding, hows Parliament going to look if a Labour MP gets married ( to another Labour MP obviously ) ? The labour side of the house will be practically empty as they'll all be family will be at the reception.
  • Options
    AnorakAnorak Posts: 6,621
    edited September 2013
    Off Topic:

Welsh hospital bans smoking on whole site. (building, grounds, car park, the works)

Patients in need of a gasper will be prescribed nicotine patches. E-cigs also verboten, for some reason. Why do I have an image of people gathered just outside the gate wearing pyjamas and clutching drips. Can't be good for your health, that, especially in January.

[Actually, given the hospital's location, it's going to be a very brave porter who attempts to prise a ciggie from a smokers grasp.]
  • Options
    Grandiose said:

Neil said:

Grandiose said:

FPT

Implausible; but that does not distract from the fact that Labour will be unable to run the line they would like.
    They should treat it as a blessing in disguise and focus on things that actually matter.
  • Options
    Mr. Anorak, are e-cigs dangerous/unhealthy?
  • Options
    Neil said:

Grandiose said:

FPT

Unless Labour think having DUP style family clans is the way to go, then he shouldn't be selected. Are labour currently having problems finding suitable candidates ?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    1/2 is still free money.

• Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    On topic , Yougov made a small methodology change early last month which knocks 0.5 to 1% off the Lib Dem fiugures and adds it to the UKIP figures . Makes 14% a bit harder to achieve than before .
  • Options

Neil said:

Grandiose said:

FPT

Unless Labour think having DUP style family clans is the way to go, then he shouldn't be selected. Are labour currently having problems finding suitable candidates ?
    That's a position, Alanbrooke, but I cant say I think it's a sensible one. There are not so many children of MPs in the PLP that it's a significant problem and excluding people of the calibre of Will Straw because of who his Dad happens to be doesnt seem fair.
  • Options
    tim said:

TGOHF said:

1/2 is still free money.

Seriously?

No - there seriously no chance of LDs polling 14% with YG before Feb 2015 nevermind Xmas.

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,205
    FPT - for Tim: Douglas Hurd's views on the Bosnian civil war - no intervention - is broadly the same as Labour's current view on the Syrian civil war, no?
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    TGOHF said:

1/2 is still free money.

While random variation could put you over the top, you need a spike which hasn't happened in over 30 months. Hardly free money. The odds are the wrong way around, 3/2 is fantastic value.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Surely the MPs kid stuff is a bit of a red herring. Any MP has to win the nomination of his or her constituency party, and then is subject to the sanction of the electorate.

• Options
    I'm on this bet from earlier in the year at 5/2. It's an interesting bet because it can be settled by one rogue poll. But the Lib Dems have been very static with YouGov for the last couple of years. So I think it's a worthwhile bet to see out.
  • Options

There is no evidence that they are.

Also more interesting will be nicotine inhalers which have no smoke and don't require any power other than breath - especially one's shaped like a cigarette - may be difficult to ban these. BAT are investing heavily in one such product ...

http://www.theguardian.com/business/marketforceslive/2012/dec/03/consort-medical-british-american-tobacco
  • Options
    "calibre of Will Straw" - how has this manifested itself?

Prescott junior is 43 and has done other things before trying to become an MP. So I would exclude him from criticism - he may be good or useless - but he has some considerable life experience beyond simply being someone's son.

I have more of an issue with those barely out of school or university seeking to become MPs. Rare to find people that young with the requisite experience and judgment. I would prefer to see far more older people in Parliament.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Depends whether you like inhaling agricultural pesticide grade nicotine I suppose
  • Options
    Looks a sound bet.

In the meantime, according to the Guardian, Miliband has revised his stance yet again and has set out new conditions for Britain being involved in military action. Quote:

"A senior Labour source said: "There would need to be very significant change [for Labour to support military action]. There are two examples: if al-Qaida got possession of very large stockpiles of weapons or if there is a direct threat to national security."

It is difficult to know where to start with this. It fails in its own terms for want of clarity; are those the only two examples, or two of several? Presumably the latter, or else Labour has effectively ruled out intervening militarily for humanitarian reasons in any circumstance.

Doesn't Al Qaeda already have a very large stockpile of weapons? Does he mean chemical weapons? If so, why should we take military action if Al-Qaeda gets possession of a very large stockpile of weapons if they haven't yet used them, when we refused to take action against the Assad regime when it both possesed the weapons and (on the face of the evidence) used them against civillians? On what basis would we take military action in Syria (a sovereign nation) against the rebels? Would we seek the consent of the Assad regime before raining bombs on his enemies within his borders? There would be no basis in International law to act without Assad's consent in those circumstances. So would we fight side by side with Assad? Is that what Labour's position has come to? Is it only Al Qaeda Labour are worried about, or other Islamist (or indeed merely rebel-who-happen-to-be-muslim) groups? How is Al Qaeda defined for these purposes? What proof would Labour require before taking military action? Would it take military action in those circumstances without the approval of the UNSC? How does Labour propose to intervene miltarily in those circumstances? Tomahawks at dawn or a more targeted military effort involving special forces?

It is an utterly pathetic position.

The only thing more pathetic is that the Labour leadership is still changing its position on this, five days after it did so for the first time, and having in between times oscillated wildly within the spectrum of opinion. Miliband wants to be Prime Minister, a position that requires judgement and decisiveness. Heaven knows Cameron has struggled at times, but Miliband makes him look like Thatcher. This isn't prep for end of year finals, in which Miliband and his friends can casually debate philosophical veiwpoints over a few weeks before committing to paper in the hope of scoring 70%. If he becomes prime minister, the very next day he might be asked to support urgent military intervention, to decide what to do in the face of a terrorist threat or to lead the nation in a crisis. Does anyone think he is capable of doing that?
  • Options
    PlatoPlato Posts: 15,724
    Twitter power for the very frustrated customer http://www.itv.com/news/update/2013-09-03/ba-customers-promoted-tweet-criticising-lost-luggage/

"Hasan Syed, who uses the Twitter handle @HVSVN, wrote on the social networking site: "Don't fly @BritishAirways. Their customer service is horrendous." He purchased the promoted tweet through the site's self-service ad platform and followed up his initial message with a series of posts criticising the loss of the luggage and the airline's delayed response.

British Airways responded to Syed's tweet, which now appears to be deleted, by asking him to message his bagging reference to them.
    spokesperson for the airline said: "We would like to apologise to the customer for the inconvenience caused. We have been in contact with the customer and the bag is due to be delivered today."
  • Options
    Mr. Flashman (deceased) and Mr. Charles, thanks (even though your answers are mutually exclusive).
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

There is no evidence that they are.

Also more interesting will be nicotine inhalers which have no smoke and don't require any power other than breath - especially one's shaped like a cigarette - may be difficult to ban these. BAT are investing heavily in one such product ...

http://www.theguardian.com/business/marketforceslive/2012/dec/03/consort-medical-british-american-tobacco
    Glad you like it. That's our one :-)

• Options
    Passed YG polls would suggest the likelihood of the Lib Dems exceeding 14% this year is low, but not impossible.

Conference season has a habit of re shuffling the cards (although temporary) and may well produce that illusive one off bounce, - all they need is a little luck and an Elvis impersonator.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Afternoon all :)

FPT

Thanks to SeanT for his response to my musings on the practicalities of shale oil. The point about the new abundance of shale gas and the impact that will have is well taken and I'm sure correct in as much as demand for crude oil may not rise as sharply as some suspect.

That said, there are large areas of the world (Africa) which have yet to really see the prosperity that would lead to increased energy usage. The supply of energy becoming available needs to keep with the demand and I just wonder if SeanT is being optimistic where crude is concerned and whether we may not yet still have several years of concern over oil prices because either a) sufficient quantities of shale gas come on line to lower demand or b) as he opined, the presence of a mass market of hybrid vehicles will also make crude less essential or c) emerging nations see an exponential increase in demand for crude.

As is often the case with emergent technology, the long-term is positive but the short to medium term arguably less so.
  • Options
    Neil said:

Neil said:

Grandiose said:

FPT

That's a position, Alanbrooke, but I cant say I think it's a sensible one. There are not so many children of MPs in the PLP that it's a significant problem and excluding people of the calibre of Will Straw because of who his Dad happens to be doesnt seem fair.
    Well I just disagree with you Neil. You're trying to stick by the rules when how the rules operate might just be the problem and common sense says use with caution. We had it with expenses, most MPs claimed within the rules, but the public suddenly thought that stinks and the rules protected no-one they all had their reputations sullied. If you're the party that claims it opposes privilege and then is seen to be represented by MPs offspriing and relatives I'd suggest that would be a bigger problem. It's like a CEO appointing his son to the board over the heads of everyone else because he understand the stresses and you just can't find interested people. I couldn't really see shareholders accepting that at face value. But hey if it worked for Rupert Murdoch maybe it will work for Labour too.
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699

Passed YG polls would suggest the likelihood of the Lib Dems exceeding 14% this year is low, but not impossible.

Conference season has a habit of re shuffling the cards (although temporary) and may well produce that illusive one off bounce, - all they need is a little luck and an Elvis impersonator.

They don't have to exceed 14% just attain it but as I have posted previously the methodology changes make that more difficult as 14% now would have been 15% prior to August .
  • Options
    tpfkartpfkar Posts: 1,546
    On-topic, it really depends on an event where the LDs take up a popular position against the other two. While I'm glad they didn't, refusing to countenance action in Syria without UN authorisation would have been a possibility here.

But the national figure matters less and less; council results and by-elections are increasingly showing the LDs holding their own where they care about the parliamentary seat (with good organsation) and dropping like a stone where they don't. The LD market I'd be on is lost deposits for 2015 - I think there will be at least 150 as in non-target areas the motivation to vote for the Lib Dems has gone.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,287
    re Labour candidate selection - jobs for the boys or sons? Plenty of past examples, but not all siblings have matched their parent's record as MP or Minister. Some exceptions include:

Joe Chamberlain's sons Austen and Neville -both cabinet miisters, one led Conservatives, the other became PM.

Sir John Benn, Wedgewood Benn, Tony Benn - Hilary Benn all MPs - 3 Cabinet ministers.

Charge of nepotism can be unfair, but some sons and daughters can be or were mediocre politicians.

• Options

They don't have to exceed 14% just attain it but as I have posted previously the methodology changes make that more difficult as 14% now would have been 15% prior to August .
    My bad Mr Senior, thanks for the clarification.
  • Options

Mr. Flashman (deceased) and Mr. Charles, thanks (even though your answers are mutually exclusive).

I don't think they are - Nicotine patches are seen as paragons of health but e-cigarettes are tools of the devil - logic isn't really involved.

As shown by Charles rubbing his hands together- this market is new and a lot of devices will come out which will have the health police scratching their heads.

• Options

e-cigarettes in theory are fine, although there are emissions from burning, but those aren't that significant. The issue is the quality of the product - they aren't regulated and so they tend to source the cheapest nicotine from Asia (where it is used as a pesticide). The reason why there is no evidence that they are harmful is because no one has conducted clinical trials...

Of course I'm excluding stories such as this because that wouldn't be fair...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2101565/Tom-Holloway-suffers-horrific-burns-exploding-electronic-cigarette-knocks-teeth.html

The alternative is the Nicoventures product that TGOHF so kindly highlighted to everyone. It has completed clinical trials and will be launched as a regulated product, to pharmaceutical standards. Question is whether the e-cig lobbyists manage to bamboozle MPs into ignoring the MHRA's recommendation that e-cigs have to be approved...

(* disclosure: my family has a financial interest in the company that invented Oxette)
  • Options
    ''Charge of nepotism can be unfair, but some sons and daughters can be or were mediocre politicians.''

What about the Churchills...??? Lord Randolph, Sir Winston (senior and Junior)
  • Options

Possibly, but it hasn't given them much of a bounce in 2011 or 2012.
    tpfkar said:

On-topic, it really depends on an event where the LDs take up a popular position against the other two. While I'm glad they didn't, refusing to countenance action in Syria without UN authorisation would have been a possibility here.

I was surprised how much the LDs disappeared around Syria. We became a two-party system again as far as news and events were concerned.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

I don't think they are - Nicotine patches are seen as paragons of health but e-cigarettes are tools of the devil - logic isn't really involved.

That's changing: to be fair the historical preference was for smoking cessation; the debate is whether 'harm reduction' is an acceptable alternative
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

As shown by Charles rubbing his hands together- this market is new and a lot of devices will come out which will have the health police scratching their heads.

If you're interested in this Chris Snowden of the ASI is quite vocal on the subject - his blog http://velvetgloveironfist.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Options

On topic , Yougov made a small methodology change early last month which knocks 0.5 to 1% off the Lib Dem fiugures and adds it to the UKIP figures . Makes 14% a bit harder to achieve than before .

Have Yougov stopped counting votes from prisoners?

• Options

FPT:
    So basically they should be kept in conditions that they wouldnt be tempted to stay in?

That's a bit of a disingenuous statement. The refugee camps should be safe, secure and meet all their daily needs, but by their very nature they would be temporary because being a refugee is temporary in it's nature.

The aim of the world community is to bring peace to Syria right? So, the aim is that Syrians would go home after the conflict is finished.

If it continues beyond a certain point then longer term solutions should be considered of course, but then that would imply a failure of bringing an end to the conflict.

It's been two years and nobody has anything remotely like a plausible plan for peace, bombing or no bombing. How long does it take until you get to your "certain point"?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Charles said:

TGOHF said:

That's changing: to be fair the historical preference was for smoking cessation; the debate is whether 'harm reduction' is an acceptable alternative
    [NB I am not, nor have I ever been, a smoker, apart from the odd 'exotic' roll-up at uni]

There's a debate on that? Centuries of anecdote and hard evidence show how difficult many people find giving up. For that sizeable chunk of people then harm reduction is surely preferable to the status quo.

E-cigs may not be perfect, but it's early days and I'd guess a measured nicotine dose (i.e. the same as a patch) is better than the cocktail of particulates, carcinogens, poisons and odours which come from a normal fag. But yet again the pious, overbearing bansturbators are in full spittle-flecked flow...

EDIT: following on from Charles' comment, I have no issue with improving quality or safety of products - e-cigs or anything else - but the banning of a class of products just because they are perceived in some areas as being undesirable or unpleasant really gets my goat.
  • Options
    Is that the first Lib Dem bar chart that doesn't say "Only the Lib Dems can win here"?
  • Options
    Flockers-pb.The answer to your last question is a resounding NO.
  • Options
    I believe one objection to e-cigarettes or inhalers would be that they look like cigarettes and seeing people 'smoking' things that look like cigarettes could damage the 'illegitimate' reputation that has been pushed so hard in the last thirty years.
  • Options
    I agree with this - The Times are trying to bludgeon their readers into agreeing with them.

"If at first you don't bomb Syria, try, try again. That seems to be the attitude of the pro-war camp in Britain, who are now urging a second parliamentary vote on military action. You get the impression that they'd happily hold a vote for war every 24 hours for an entire year until they get the result they want. Call it democracy by attrition.

Nick Clegg has said that it's off the table, other voices seem to disagree – and the editorial board of The Times seems about ready to parachute into Damascus. But aside from the fact that a second vote would be an effective repudiation of the Government's promise to rule out military action, it also misses the point of what happened in Parliament last week. The case for another debate is that evidence is mounting of Assad's guilt in the Damascus chemical weapons attack. But his guilt is neither here nor there: the public are overwhelmingly against war because they simply don't want war – and many of the MPs' speeches focused on that rather important fact..." http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/timstanley/100233993/syria-assads-guilt-is-beside-the-point-people-dont-want-war-because-they-dont-want-war/
  • Options
    Anorak said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

[NB I am not, nor have I ever been, a smoker, apart from the odd 'exotic' roll-up at uni]

There's a debate on that? Centuries of anecdote and hard evidence show how difficult many people find giving up. For that sizeable chunk of people then harm reduction is surely preferable to the status quo.

E-cigs may not be perfect, but it's early days and I'd guess a measured nicotine dose (i.e. the same as a patch) is better than the cocktail of particulates, carcinogens, poisons and odours which come from a normal fag. But yet again the pious, overbearing bansturbators are in full spittle-flecked flow...

EDIT: following on from Charles' comment, I have no issue with improving quality or safety of products - e-cigs or anything else - but the banning of a class of products just because they are perceived in some areas as being undesirable or unpleasant really gets my goat.
    The intention is not to ban e-cigs: it's just to make sure that they are manufactured to a safe standard and don't include all sorts of cr*p in them.

The harm reduction strategy is just a question of educating health professionals. Cessation is better, but harm reduction is a good step on the road
  • Options
    Syria is a mess and likely to remain so. Lebanon must be at risk - good DT article today on the problems it faces, not just from refugees but Hizbollah's actions in Syria and the consequences for Lebanon's fragile peace.

Western military intervention is unlikely to improve matters; it will more likely be like the ineffective interventions which occurred periodically in the Lebanese civil war. There is no strategy. Nor is there any sign of the intensive long-term commitment needed to remake a country, let alone several countries (a la WW2/Marshall Plan). The most interesting thing the US general on R4 said was that the Middle East simply had not been discussed or considered or thought about in US public life - and a few days chatter now is not going to change that underlying reality. There are no (or very few) good guys in Syria and matters are likely to get worse before (if) they get better. Tunisia, Libya and Egypt are hardly shining examples, after all.

Practical help for the refugees and the countries assisting them is probably the best course of action for the West. The Middle East is going to have to grow up and sort out its own affairs. The results are not going to be pretty and not likely either to be friendly to the West.
  • Options
    ''the public are overwhelmingly against war because they simply don't want war''

I can;t help thinking that Assad is more a symptom than a cause. Russia and Iran are backing him.
  • Options
    FPT
    SeanT said:

Good of you to admit your ignorance. But you are only halfway there. What do you think a huge glut of new cheap hydrocarbon energy is going to do to the price of similar hydrocarbons?

Yes, crude might still be the preferred fuel source for cars - shale oil will take time and it's dirty - however there may be a switch to hybrid cars that use gas and petrol, or cars that use gas entirely, as it will be cheaper.

What is inevitable is that many of the other myriad ways where oil is now used - heating, power stations, chemicals - will be replaced by cheaper gas, if at all possible. This will dampen down global demand OVERALL for conventional oil (and coal), especially as wealthy populations age (as the Saudi prince notes, older people *use* less oil)

Hitherto expectations had been for the price of oil to go nuts. This now looks unlikely. The FT guy probably gets it right: prices of oil will plateau, OPEC's position will therefore, relatively, weaken, as their reserves run down. The Arab chokehold on our fuel resources is nearly at an end. Hooray!

Now REAL work. REALLY.

Fracking, both conventional and unconventional (primary fraking as we are now seeing used in gas) has been used in the oil industry for at least 80 years. It is a major secondary recovery technique in conventional oil fields and is also used to a lesser extent as a primary form particularly in north and south America.

The problem with it - and the one very big thing that Sean forgets - is that it is very very expensive. Gas is great for fraking from shales as it is a small molecule. Oil is not and the recovery from shales is still hugely difficult and not showing any signs fo getting easier.

With the oil price at around 100 dollars a barrel of course oil from shale becomes attractive. But at the same time Statoil are running their whole conventional Norway oil operation at an average cost of a lot less than 10 dollars a barrel. As long as the discrepancy exists between the costs of extracting oil conventionally and oil shales then I am afraid Sean's dream of oil shales changing the world are just fantasy.

That said he is right on one thing. Fracking gas plus the huge increase in conventional oil recovery in the US is going to make them energy independent in a very short time - I believe 2016 is the current estimate for them to start exporting oil. At the same time the Japanese developments with Methane Condensates is going to change their whole economic energy outlook completely.

So yes, I agree with Sean that (for different reasons) the days of Middle Eastern energy hegemony are numbered.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,288
    edited September 2013
    Charles said:

Anorak said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

The intention is not to ban e-cigs: it's just to make sure that they are manufactured to a safe standard and don't include all sorts of cr*p in them.

The harm reduction strategy is just a question of educating health professionals. Cessation is better, but harm reduction is a good step on the road
    Yesterday, saw a sign at a train station in Essex (NOT Epping Ongar I might add, but the Other Railway!) saying "NO SMOKING - Including E-Cigarettes".
  • Options
    This is not a new market. It has been up for nearly 6 months
  • Options
    tim said:

No thread on the Ashcroft immigration poll, what a disgrace.

I was hoping we could have Socrates back for the day to tell us that Cadbury's Creme Eggs are smaller than they used to be so as to offend Muslims less.

Still making stuff up I see Tim. And even better, doing it about people who no longer post and so you are safe (you think) from being pulled up on it.

Sad man.
  • Options
    Re. YG - Broken, sleazy LibDems on the slide?
  • Options

This is not a new market. It has been up for nearly 6 months

It was originally up around December 2012 with all the other New Years markets. It disappeared for a few months around April.
  • Options
    I wonder what the defector will have to say..
  • Options
    Re David Prescott

He has been Vice Chair of Greenwich & Woolwich CLP in the past and lives in the area. So his attempt to be selected there is not out of blue.

And he has strong competition in the form of Assembly Member Len Duvall and Cllr Matthew Pennycook.
  • Options
    For those who may have seen the Roger Bucklesby bench plaque - the story behind it http://www.buzzfeed.com/tomphillips/the-roger-bucklesby-bench-plaque-is-real-sort-of
  • Options
    Apols if posted before:

"The OECD economic agency has sharply increased its growth forecast for the UK economy this year to 1.5% from an earlier estimate of 0.8%.

It said UK growth had gained momentum through the first half of the year."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23944091
  • Options
    I personally root for someone called Pennycook

It's in my Hall of Fame of Labour names along with

Philomena Muggins
    Emilie Oldknow
    Oliver de Botton
    Nigel de Gruchy
    Mike Le Surf
    Sab Dance
    Tosca Sofia Antonia Cabello-Watson
  • Options

It would make your blood run cold and clot and turn your insides into fucking black puddings.
  • Options

It would make your blood run cold and clot and turn your insides into fucking black puddings.
    How does that work? I don't think black puddings have the appropriate equipment for that.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    Don't know what's happened to the Labour selection in Dumfriesshire. Should have been on Sunday:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0At91c3wX1Wu5dFkzTjFrRmJRN3F6ODBTTEs4NGFhcUE#gid=0
  • Options
    Charles said:

Anorak said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before any inhaler shaped like a cigarette is banned from pubs/hospitals/outreach centres but nicotine inhalers shaped like an asthma inhaler are allowed...

• Options
    Anorak said:

How does that work? I don't think black puddings have the appropriate equipment for that.
    Unless you're a receiver?

OK, let's not go there! :)
  • Options

More likely he will do what all other defectors seem to have done in previous instances and tell his interrogators exactly what he thinks they want to hear. The example of Iraq and the defectors insisting on the existence of an ongoing WMD programme there is not exactly one of Western intelligence agencies' greatest moments.
  • Options

Philomena Muggins
    Emilie Oldknow
    Oliver de Botton
    Nigel de Gruchy
    Mike Le Surf
    Sab Dance

Very good. Philomena Muggins sounds like a name from Harry Potter.
  • Options
    Ozzie ODI team taking out their frustrations on Scotland !

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/566939.html
  • Options

More likely he will do what all other defectors seem to have done in previous instances and tell his interrogators exactly what he thinks they want to hear. The example of Iraq and the defectors insisting on the existence of an ongoing WMD programme there is not exactly one of Western intelligence agencies' greatest moments.
    Right, it seems a little bit amazing that they're apparently planning to try exactly the same storyline a second time, but I guess if it worked once...
  • Options
    @Andy

I couldn't see anything reported. I checked the twitter account of the 2010 candidate (who is now an MSP) and she doesn't mention it at all. I wonder if it has been pushed to a later date or if the September 1 date was a mixed up and refered to another stage of the selection meeting and not the voting phase.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,298
    edited September 2013
    TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Anorak said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before any inhaler shaped like a cigarette is banned from pubs/hospitals/outreach centres but nicotine inhalers shaped like an asthma inhaler are allowed...

As there is no hot tip there is no need to hold an e-cig as if you are Clint Eastwood or Joe Strummer.

The logical way to hold an e-cig is like a lollypop. Together with the fact that many people smoke to be "cool" this will, I think, inhibit take-up.
  • Options

Charles said:

Anorak said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

Yesterday, saw a sign at a train station in Essex (NOT Epping Ongar I might add, but the Other Railway!) saying "NO SMOKING - Including E-Cigarettes".
    This is a copy of the sign I saw:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/p480x480/1011423_527259880662797_491281902_n.jpg
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TGOHF said:

Charles said:

Anorak said:

Charles said:

TGOHF said:

As there is no hot tip there is no need to hold an e-cig as if you are Clint Eastwood or Joe Strummer.

The logical way to hold an e-cig is like a lollypop. Together with the fact that many people smoke to be "cool" this will, I think, inhibit take-up.
    If you are allowed to puff nicotine from a cig shaped inhaler on a plane, shop, cafe, restaurant, train or even in a hospital ward or the chamber of the house - then sales should be ok ;)

• Options

Apols if posted before:

"The OECD economic agency has sharply increased its growth forecast for the UK economy this year to 1.5% from an earlier estimate of 0.8%.

Hurrah for Osborne, saviour of the British economy!

OECD's updated forecast for other European economies include:

Italy ........... -1.8%
    France ...... +0.3%
    Germany .. +0.7%

elsewhere:

U.S. .......... +1.7%
    Japan ....... +1.6%
    China ....... +7.4%
  • Options
    Muggins run for the NEC during the time when Potter saga was in its prime...so when the list of candidates emerged, there were some comments of that tone... "who is Philomena Muggins? Does she really exist or did they take her out from a Harry Potter book?"

Philomena Muggins
    Emilie Oldknow
    Oliver de Botton
    Nigel de Gruchy
    Mike Le Surf
    Sab Dance

Very good. Philomena Muggins sounds like a name from Harry Potter.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,610
    The Economist castigates the isolationists and Little Englanders:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/blighty/2013/08/britain-and-syria

"The vote of shame

The only people who should celebrate Parliament’s vote are Bashar Assad and Vladimir Putin"
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"The vote of shame

The only people who should celebrate Parliament’s vote are Bashar Assad and Vladimir Putin"

The Economist has sort of lost the plot these days. The Spectator had a critique of them yesterday.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/09/tony-abbott-not-kevin-rudd-should-become-australias-next-prime-minister/
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

"The vote of shame

The Economist has sort of lost the plot these days. The Spectator had a critique of them yesterday.

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/2013/09/tony-abbott-not-kevin-rudd-should-become-australias-next-prime-minister/
    Rudd available at 23s on betfair for next PM :)

• Options

Right, it seems a little bit amazing that they're apparently planning to try exactly the same storyline a second time, but I guess if it worked once...
    What if he is telling the truth? I understand why you want to dismiss him out-of-hand as it does not complement your world view, but there is a chance he is telling the truth. The alleged documents in particular should be interesting.

http://news.sky.com/story/1136599/syria-defector-exposes-assad-chemical-attack

Note that it is also apparently evidence of a chemical attack in Aleppo during March, not the one earlier this month.
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Next UK GE : most seats betfair

Labour 1.85
    Con 2.2

Maj

Lab 2.82 (!)
    NOM 2.42

Ireland now faves to win cricket - 1.55 vs 2.74.

Eng/Ire/Zimb select 25/3 !
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Andy_JS said:

"The vote of shame

Rudd available at 23s on betfair for next PM :)

Even the Economist accepts that Rudd is unlikely to win, but they endorsed the big state candidate anyway.
  • Options

What if he is telling the truth? I understand why you want to dismiss him out-of-hand as it does not complement your world view, but there is a chance he is telling the truth. The alleged documents in particular should be interesting.

Note that it is also apparently evidence of a chemical attack in Aleppo during March, not the one earlier this month.
    I too realise that you are desperate for him to be telling the truth as it would compliment your particular world view.

All I am saying is that the record of such defections and the intelligence they provide is poor to say the least. Our intelligence agencies do have a record of hearing what they want to hear and ignoring anything to the contrary. Unless of course you believe Iraq was full of chemical weapons at the time of the last invasion and we just missed them all?
  • Options
    edited September 2013
    Free today - Times review of Rush http://blogs.thetimes.co.uk/section/formula-one/105035/rush-film-review-lauda-and-hunt-divided-by-racing-united-in-respect/?shareToken=254a565428363d6c4c441842a1bdada3135913388_f1_447698d

"There was a moment when it seemed Niki Lauda had morphed from the silver screen and into the room. Close your eyes and the voice was not just a spooky imitation of that familiar declamatory tone with the clipped Austrian accent, it was Lauda.

German journalists at a preview showing thought so, too. They wanted to know when Lauda, now chairman of the Mercedes Formula One team, had time to record voice-overs for a near two-hour movie.

He didn’t; he left that to Daniel Bruhl, his Doppelganger in Rush, which has had its premiere in London..."
  • Options
    MonkeysMonkeys Posts: 755
    Charles said:

What the studies complaining about the "crap," in e-cigarettes fail to mention is, the nicotine replacement therapy you can buy contain the same crap in much higher levels.

There is literally no reason to make electronic cigarettes have to reach higher standards than NRT or cigarettes.

• Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,280

Apols if posted before:

Hurrah for Osborne, saviour of the British economy!

OECD's updated forecast for other European economies include:

Italy ........... -1.8%
    France ...... +0.3%
    Germany .. +0.7%

elsewhere:

U.S. .......... +1.7%
    Japan ....... +1.6%
    China ....... +7.4%
    While this is quite nice it is worth bearing in mind that the OECD were still cutting our growth forecasts for next year as late as May of this year when the recovery was already gaining momentum and had been for about 5 months. IIRC they also cut our growth forecast from 0.9 to 0.8 in about April when Q1 had shown 0.3% growth. Now they are effectively doubling their revised figure.

These forecasts are not exactly something to put the mortgage on. In the OECD case politics also seem to play something of a role.

• Options
    edited September 2013
    Besides that, nicotine with no other drugs, in normal quantities, is a relatively harmless drug, even "pesticide grade". It's not even that addictive, the addictive potential in cigarettes is largely caused by it being taken in combination with other drugs in cigarettes, such as MAO-Inhibitors. It's no more dangerous than caffeine - incidentally, another pesticide.
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

Besides that, nicotine with no other drugs, in normal quantities, is a relatively harmless drug, even "pesticide grade". It's not even that addictive, the addictive potential in cigarettes is largely caused by it being taken in combination with other drugs in cigarettes, such as MAO-Inhibitors. It's no more dangerous than caffeine - incidentally, another pesticide.

Yes - so why are e-cigarettes banned ?

• Options
    Brilliant old footage

"Local TV may be coming to a screen near you soon - but not for the first time, as the UK already has a rich history of local television, writes social historian Joe Moran. But did viewers really want to watch pub darts and barber shop singers?

Last week, the Local TV Network launched an awareness campaign, beginning with a session at the Edinburgh International Television Festival on Local TV: The Next Big Thing?, ahead of the first stations going live this autumn.

What is less well known is that back in the early 1970s, residents of south-east London, Sheffield and Milton Keynes were already enjoying a diet of hyper-local entertainment..." http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23906703?ocid=socialflow_twitter_bbcnewsmagazine
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Monkeys said:

They're not banned, not yet. The MHRA like being given money to do things, so they're trying to argue that this drug (which is taken recreationally,) is a medicine. The EU are going down a similar route. I expect there's some lobbying coming through from tobacco companies and pharma companies, who would be the only people who could get products through regulation.

It's worth noting that BAT bought over an e-cigarette company a couple of years ago, and immediately approached the MHRA practically begging them to regulate it as a medicine. The market would be nicely sewn up for them.
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

TGOHF said:

Monkeys said:

They're not banned, not yet. The MHRA like being given money to do things, so they're trying to argue that this drug (which is taken recreationally,) is a medicine. The EU are going down a similar route. I expect there's some lobbying coming through from tobacco companies and pharma companies, who would be the only people who could get products through regulation.

It's worth noting that BAT bought over an e-cigarette company a couple of years ago, and immediately approached the MHRA practically begging them to regulate it as a medicine. The market would be nicely sewn up for them.
    I meant why are they banned at some hospitals - there are no good reasons.
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

Charles said:

What the studies complaining about the "crap," in e-cigarettes fail to mention is, the nicotine replacement therapy you can buy contain the same crap in much higher levels.

There is literally no reason to make electronic cigarettes have to reach higher standards than NRT or cigarettes.

NRT products are OTC products and therefore reviewed and approved.

e-cigs can be sold off the back of a lorry.

Tobacco is always a controversial point...
  • Options
    Charles said:

Monkeys said:

Charles said:

NRT, which has more chemicals in it, can be sold to 12-year olds.

I don't smoke. I just don't think products should be legislated in a way that makes sure more people die.

• Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    tim said:

@BBCNormanS: Eric Pickles dept face £90,000 legal bill 4 breach of contarct over changes to deducting union subs from salaries in @pcs_union court case

That was a great money saver from Pickles

Tim How much did Prezza waste during his time in Govt. round billions will do.
  • Options
    tim said:

@BBCNormanS: Eric Pickles dept face £90,000 legal bill 4 breach of contarct over changes to deducting union subs from salaries in @pcs_union court case

has he lost yet ? Think of the extra tax from lawyers costs....
  • Options
    Monkeys said:

Charles said:

Monkeys said:

Charles said:

NRT, which has more chemicals in it, can be sold to 12-year olds.

I don't smoke. I just don't think products should be legislated in a way that makes sure more people die.

As an aside, the NHS currently pays for people to use NRT, which has a 95 percent failure rate, so pushing people towards NRT, you're pushing people towards failure and death.

http://jscms.jrn.columbia.edu/cns/2007-02-13/millstone-coldturkeyquitters.html

Failure and death ought not be controversial.
  • Options

I too realise that you are desperate for him to be telling the truth as it would compliment your particular world view.

All I am saying is that the record of such defections and the intelligence they provide is poor to say the least. Our intelligence agencies do have a record of hearing what they want to hear and ignoring anything to the contrary. Unless of course you believe Iraq was full of chemical weapons at the time of the last invasion and we just missed them all?
    Nope, not desperate all. I've laid my case out in a darned more detail than you have, and I stick by it. I was just pointing out the stupidity of your circlejerk.

As for your assertion: what is the track record? Have you had visibility of the intelligence coming from all defectors? Or are you concentrating on one or two stories from Iraq?

Let the guy tell his story, present his evidence and then we can make up our minds. He may be lying; he may be telling the truth (or at least as he perceives it). The first question in my mind is how authoritative is his evidence? How and why does he know what he claims? We can move on from there.

Instead, you've made up your mind already.
  • Options

Nope, not desperate all. I've laid my case out in a darned more detail than you have, and I stick by it. I was just pointing out the stupidity of your circlejerk.

As for your assertion: what is the track record? Have you had visibility of the intelligence coming from all defectors? Or are you concentrating on one or two stories from Iraq?

Let the guy tell his story, present his evidence and then we can make up our minds. He may be lying; he may be telling the truth (or at least as he perceives it). The first question in my mind is how authoritative is his evidence? How and why does he know what he claims? We can move on from there.

Instead, you've made up your mind already.
    As have you regarding intervention.
  • Options
    tim said:

tim said:

Tim How much did Prezza waste during his time in Govt. round billions will do.
    Do you even understand what it was about?
    Was it about doing back to the unions what they have done to the govt countless times over and over and over ?

Ie obfusticated and gone out of their way not to be helpful ?

This discussion has been closed.